Author Topic: What did you finish? 2018 Edition  (Read 14658 times)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
Re: What did you finish? 2018 Edition
« Reply #120 on: September 03, 2018, 02:46:26 PM »
XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Plus) - Awful port (buildings disappearing, so you can't see walls, crashes, etc. I'm honestly shocked I was able to finish it.
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified -
Assassin's Creed: Origins - Eh, didn't really care for the Witcher 3 style switch-up but it was alright.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #121 on: September 03, 2018, 04:07:46 PM »
Prey

Pretty pretty good.
Did every side quest and went for the "good" ending.
Not totally in love with the ending, but it's interesting at least.

+Dug the setting, the freedom in speccing and problem solving, the immersion and world building, inventory management with recyclers and fabricators.
+Mick Gordon
-The first few hours are the most unsettling before you learn enemy patterns and upgrade a bit.
It loses its edge when I'm running up and diddy bopping fools with a wrench. While the gameplay gets better and opens up, I'm no longer fearful and there's no longer an element of the unknown.
-Even on PC, while traveling the station clearing out the side quests I lost some enthusiasm due to the frequent loading points whenever moving inbetween areas.
-What was the point of the Nightmare? Dude was kind of goofy looking tip toeing around.

paprikastaude

« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2018, 06:18:15 PM »
August:

Megaman Powered Up - Made Megaman 1 playable, though the controls for running are a little fucked up. You get used it to it though.

Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age - Really enjoyed the world building and micro management, although I don't know whether I would've liked the og release without 2x speed and quicksaves.

Shenmue - Some of the pacing could have been better, but the atmosphere makes up for it. Moments like training your kungfu in the park between snow and neon lights while the sun sets and the lowkey OST plays, feel like nothing else.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 - The new engine is great, though I don't like how they increasingly want to hold your hand for sidequests instead of just letting you explore.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 07:14:38 PM by Spieler1 »

thisismyusername

« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2018, 06:42:21 PM »
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands - Let me save anyone that is interested in the story alone some time: The CIA agent murders the big-bad for revenge and goes to jail over it. :doge

I dunno why Ubisoft locks the big bad behind 4 "locks" (of which you only need 2) of the heads of his department, but the story isn't worth the slog. The sandbox and gunplay, meanwhile are alright for an Ubisoft title and if you have friends to co-op with, it can be good fun to flank around a base and take it out from all directions. :doge

Oh wait:

Wikipedia and spoilered in case someone REALLY cares that badly:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
How the story ends depends on whether the Ghosts fully dismantled the cartel. If remnants of the cartel remain, Bowman will execute El Sueño, leading to her dismissal from the CIA and be arrested for murdering El Sueño, although she has no regrets of doing so, placing the lives of the Bolivians and her best friend Ricky above the lucrative cocaine trade. If the Ghosts have fully dismantled the Cartel having taken down others involved with Santa Blanca, Bowman takes El Sueño into protective custody. El Sueño provides further intel on other drug cartels, terrorist groups, and arms smugglers while in custody. Bowman predicts that when the intelligence has run out, El Sueño will either be extradited by Mexico or cut loose and start a new drug cartel, starting the cycle over again, for which she and the Ghosts will again prepare themselves.
[close]

Guess I got the "bad" (well, good depending on your views) ending. :doge
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 06:52:38 PM by thisismyusername »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2018, 07:52:26 PM »
So far, it's been a slow year. But both Xenoblade 2 (~130h) and Trails of Cold Steel (~100h) were super long.

Sonic Mania
Xenoblade 2
Metroid: Samus Returns
Chuchel
Trails of Cold Steel
Lucienne's Quest

Also add:
Pokemon Yellow
Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection

on deck: Doki Doki Literature Club and Octopath Traveler
^_^

thisismyusername

« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2018, 02:17:22 AM »
Biohazard/Resident Evil: Revelations 2 -
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Another Wesker? Pssshaw.
[close]
That said, I'm glad they gave us Barry. If only for the "COME AT ME" line along with a throwback to "don't worry, I've got THIS! *Colt Python shown*" bits.

I've got like little to no interest in Raid mode (I found it boring in the first one) so I'll probably knock out the side story DLC and then be "done" with it.

paprikastaude

« Reply #126 on: October 02, 2018, 07:23:08 AM »
September:

Metal Gear Solid - Good game, although the story was obviously overhyped by kiddos back in the day. But the gameplay and atmosphere were still good. Nevertheless, it's refreshing to play a PS1 game with such a high quality voice work. I waited quite a while to get this game, because most versions over here force a horrid German dub on to the player.

Spyro 2 - Good platformer, like Banjo-lite. The level design is much more involving than the rather shallow first game. The camera is a little finnicky, but certainly managable compared to other games of that era.

Rayman Legends - Replayed this game for like the third time because of PS+. GOAT platformer controls, awesome quick pace, actual inventive worlds on top of its mechanics, doing a good online mode, fixed some annoyances of Origins, i.e. best platforming sequel of last/current generation.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 07:36:57 AM by Spieler1 »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #127 on: October 02, 2018, 01:46:26 PM »
September:

Metal Gear Solid - Good game, although the story was obviously overhyped by kiddos back in the day. But the gameplay and atmosphere were still good. Nevertheless, it's refreshing to play a PS1 game with such a high quality voice work. I waited quite a while to get this game, because most versions over here force a horrid German dub on to the player.
Liquid is amazing in that:

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: October 02, 2018, 01:48:32 PM »
German dubs  :holeup :trash
What

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2018, 01:50:37 PM »
Nah, it depends. The Broken Sword games have a wonderful dub. :lawd

Don't ask me about anything more recent that that, though. Haven't been playing anything in German for ages.

thisismyusername

« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2018, 07:13:25 PM »
Biohazard 7: Resident Evil/Resident Evil 7: Biohazard, Not a Hero, End of Zoe included. - I pretty much enjoyed these more than I thought I would. I dunno if I need another first person horror game out of the series, but this shows Capcom can still do "atmosphere" horror when they give a damn.

The Banned Footage content isn't worth shit and should've been included in the base game a la Not a Hero since it's a mini-game collection. Bleh.

Probably will revisit to speed-run/unlock things later on.

thisismyusername

« Reply #131 on: October 28, 2018, 12:44:16 AM »
Shenmue 1-2 HD - Already posted in the Shenmue thread, but whatever.

Let It Die - I haven't played Suda's other titles, but... uh... yeah... the ending leaves a lot to be desired, and the gameplay gets hugely pay-to-win after like floor 20. In my opinion, it does the Souls gameplay badly because of that. Otherwise the foundation (the idea behind it) is relatively solid. Such a shame they have to hunt for whales to where they fucked over the entire gameplay loop.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #132 on: October 28, 2018, 02:42:04 AM »
Vita:

Akiba's Beat

Xbox One:

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
Mega Man 11

PS4:

Detroit: Become Human
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2018, 06:25:40 AM »
September:

Megaman 11 - I think this is the hardest MM game that I've played, but the difficulty feels more natural. I like the level design, a shame about the awful New Mario Bros.-esque audiovisuals.

Shadow of the Colossus remake - The camera is still a little shit sometimes, but they've improved the controls just enough for me to finally feel the hype for this game thoroughly.

Bloodborne - My first (active) Platinum, chalice dungeons aren't great, but okay enough in coop. The execution ending was my final trophy.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2018, 03:18:17 PM »
Megaman 11 - I think this is the hardest MM game that I've played, but the difficulty feels more natural. I like the level design, a shame about the awful New Mario Bros.-esque audiovisuals.

Just let the bird save you, lol
©@©™

paprikastaude

« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2018, 07:18:03 AM »
Let It Die - I haven't played Suda's other titles, but... uh... yeah... the ending leaves a lot to be desired, and the gameplay gets hugely pay-to-win after like floor 20. In my opinion, it does the Souls gameplay badly because of that. Otherwise the foundation (the idea behind it) is relatively solid.

It actually worked better for me than Souls, because real money was on the line, lol. The first boss freaked me out slightly, because I was overall anxious since I already started to run out off free revivals. They didn't last until the second area boss and then I stopped, but that was still a decent enough ~15 hours.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #136 on: November 14, 2018, 06:14:52 PM »
I am counting Witcher 3 as beaten-ish.

Main game was very uneven, although really liked loved it when it was clicking. Didn't really care for the last and actual main stretch, and glad I read a no spoiler cheat sheet on 'best ending.' I would probably do another playthrough to do things a bit differently, and not just regarding Ciri. 

I went on and did the Hearts of Stone DLC and it was aces. Great pacing and only thing that annoyed was the last little maze section. 

Just stepped foot in Toussaint for Blood and Wine expansion, and it looks interesting...also feels like a good stopping point for a bit.

I have RDR2 and DQ XI lined up but will probably play a few shorter/non-RPG games for a bit.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #137 on: November 14, 2018, 06:16:26 PM »
20) Dragon Quest 11

123 hours. Amazing game.

21) Assassins Creed: Odyssey

127 hours for the platinum.

Best WRPG since The Witcher 3.

I am impressed but could never play this much these days. Not sure if jealous.  :lol

You are making me want AC:O  :-\

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2018, 09:13:27 AM »
Xbox One:

Evil Within 2

https://www.xboxclips.com/demi/screenshots/b209279a-ba0c-4385-8056-31b8696fde1a

It had its moments, but I definitely prefer the first game overall. The final boss was pretty good over the horrible first game.
fat

kingv

« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2018, 01:44:14 PM »
I am counting Witcher 3 as beaten-ish.

Main game was very uneven, although really liked loved it when it was clicking. Didn't really care for the last and actual main stretch, and glad I read a no spoiler cheat sheet on 'best ending.' I would probably do another playthrough to do things a bit differently, and not just regarding Ciri. 

I went on and did the Hearts of Stone DLC and it was aces. Great pacing and only thing that annoyed was the last little maze section. 

Just stepped foot in Toussaint for Blood and Wine expansion, and it looks interesting...also feels like a good stopping point for a bit.

I have RDR2 and DQ XI lined up but will probably play a few shorter/non-RPG games for a bit.

I really liked Blood and Wine. It gives a great closure to the series IMO.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #140 on: November 23, 2018, 04:34:52 PM »
Xbox One:

White Night

Switch:

Xenoblade 2: Torna
fat

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #141 on: November 25, 2018, 10:07:06 PM »
Dragon Quest XI

I put this down when I got everyone to lv 99 about a month ago- for whatever reason that was my main drive I guess. Finally picked it back up tonight to beat it, the last boss fight only took me about 3-4 turns because I cheesed it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (Unlike Borys, I will learn all of the abilities, thank you very much)

Great game, it's better than a 9 but not quite a 9.5 if that makes any sense. 9.25 boners out of 10, because nothing has any meaning and everything is arbitrary.
yar

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #142 on: November 26, 2018, 07:13:28 PM »
PS4:

Spider-Man
fat

thisismyusername

« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2018, 11:43:48 PM »
Gentile Jousting - Well the "story" mode anyway. Meme game, but at least the 1-2 hour or so story mode was amusing for how much I bought it for. :doge

Fifstar

« Reply #144 on: December 03, 2018, 04:27:34 AM »
Finished the Picross Mode in Picross S.
Gulp

paprikastaude

« Reply #145 on: December 03, 2018, 08:55:07 PM »
November:

replays...

Castlevania 4 - feels good to go through the journey in one sitting (while other CV games feel more arcadey and less coherent in their 'adventure')
Castlevania Dracula Chronicles X - I changed between the remake and the og Rondo of Blood. I think both have their advantages, both great games.
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow - Gladly I still liked this as much as back in the day, after I wasn't too hot on my LTTP Portrait of Ruin. The drop rate for souls should be higher, other than that it's great.
Kirby Superstar - fast paced and diverse gameplay, great presentation to this day
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 09:05:17 PM by Spieler1 »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #146 on: December 04, 2018, 08:04:55 AM »
Xbox One:

QUBE 2

3DS:

Metroid Samus Returns
fat

thisismyusername

« Reply #147 on: December 20, 2018, 09:56:08 PM »
Back in 1995 - I'm so glad I bought this on Steam sale. I don't know if I'd recommend this on full-price since the game pulls a "gotcha!" on you in regards to the ending, and I had the "true ending" glitch out like 2-3 times to where I said "fuck it" and watched it on Youtube.  :doge

Unity Jank™ aside, it's an alright throw-back to the 1990 era tank-controls and adventure games a la Alone in the Dark. But man, that story kinda left a sour taste in my mouth.

thisismyusername

« Reply #148 on: December 24, 2018, 02:19:59 AM »
Quickly finishing Dead Rising 4 - Over all it's kinda meh.

This is about the only good thing to come from it. And it sets up for a really shitty ending of killing Frank off only to THEN release a DLC going "PSYCHE! OVERTIME MODE THROWBACK!"  when most folks couldn't have given a damn after they botched the base game (no timer? WTF. You can literally spend hours just leveling up, I got up to level 69 [#Nice] of like 100 max with doing all the cases and just repeating a checkpoint at one point for 1-3 of the 13 hours it took me).

That said, I think I like it a little more than Dead Rising 3, if only by the virtue of 1) sneaking up on enemies and selfie'ing them before the take down is hilarious (got one of the cultists from the first game: https://i.imgur.com/Oh94Cpx.jpg ) and had me laughing whenever I did. And 2) You can use the vehicles and get up to speed while dodging the other vehicles strewn about pretty well. Whereas in Dead Rising 3 with it being urban/LA-cloned it was way more compact and harder to actually USE the vehicles when you wanted to just sit there and smash zombies for hours.

Though, I think I prefer Dead Rising 1 and 2: Off the Record in regards to Frank games over 2, 3, and 4 as far as the series is concerned.

I dunno if I'll get the DLC ending, especially while it's on sale. Steam reviews have it in the negatives, and I'm not really jonesing for more of Nu-Frank.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #149 on: December 24, 2018, 11:28:42 AM »
So far, it's been a slow year. But both Xenoblade 2 (~130h) and Trails of Cold Steel (~100h) were super long.

Sonic Mania
Xenoblade 2
Metroid: Samus Returns
Chuchel
Trails of Cold Steel
Lucienne's Quest

Also add:
Pokemon Yellow
Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection

on deck: Doki Doki Literature Club and Octopath Traveler

Octopath Traveler
The Alliance Alive

on deck: DQ11, about to hit the World Tree. Seeing if I can catass while on break and finish it up before the end of the year.
^_^

paprikastaude

« Reply #150 on: December 24, 2018, 02:05:03 PM »
December:
Professor Layton Last Specter - I liked that the puzzle solving felt a bit more natural than prior titles. Though some main problems remain. i.e. There's arbitrary difficulty spikes and it's annoying when a puzzle is only hard, because its long ass explanation isn't clear (especially math things). On the other hand, the atmosphere is still ace. There's also an Animal Crossing clone in this, which is kind of interesting for an hour or two.

Tetris DS - I guess I "finished" it, because I got to the credits. I was never a fan of these types of puzzle games, but several QOL features at least made Tetris somewhat fun for me for the first time. Meanwhile, I can't for the life of me comprehend things like Puyo or Dr. Mario even with several hours of practice.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 02:20:08 PM by Spieler1 »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #151 on: December 24, 2018, 09:46:27 PM »
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker for the Switch.  It's pretty good for someone like me who doesn't have a lot of time to game and just has time for a couple levels here and there a night.  Like most Wii U Mario games of the time, the main game is simple and brain dead easy for babby gamers, something which I think is ridiculous considering how I was able to beat the original SMB when I was 5.  Anyway, you then find three crystals, a stage challenge, and a pixel toad if you are seven years old and want a challenge.  Captain Toad though has very interesting level designs and the bonus book can have some frustrating challenges.  Game clock tells me that I've played 15 hours or more of this game.  I'm not sure that I recommend it at $40 but you're able to get a copy of it for $20-30 one of these days, it's not the worst thing you can buy.
🍆🍆

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #152 on: December 24, 2018, 10:31:08 PM »
Xbox One:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Vita:

Exile's End
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #153 on: December 31, 2018, 09:02:31 PM »
Last post of 2018

Xbox One:

LocoCycle
Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna)
fat

archnemesis

« Reply #154 on: January 01, 2019, 04:29:16 AM »
Jan 19 - Sky Force Anniversary (PS4)
Jan 28 - The Room: Old Sins (iOS)
Feb 11 - Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)
Mar 3 - Into the Breach (PC)
Mar 6 - Axiom Verge (NSW)
Mar 13 - Celeste (NSW)
Mar 20 - Snipperclips: Cut it out Together! (NSW)
Apr 8 - Lost Sphear (NSW)
Jun 9 - Talisman: Digital Edition (PC)
Sep 3 - Trials Fusion (PS4)
Sep 4 - Picross S2 (NSW)
Oct 7 - Octopath Traveller (NSW)
Nov 2- Kemono Friends Picross (NSW)
Nov 7 - Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (NSW)
Nov 9 - Gradius (NES)
Nov 12 - The Legend of Zelda (NES)

16 in total and mostly portable games. I hope I will have more time in front of the living room TV and my gaming computer this year.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #155 on: January 01, 2019, 09:52:28 AM »
Vita:

Ray Gigant
Uncanny Valley
Danganronpa V3
Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness
Lost Dimension
Mutant Mudds Super Challenge
Volume
Lumines: Electronic Symphony
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
Akiba's Trip
Akiba's Beat
Exile's End

Xbox One:

8-Bit Adventure Anthology: Volume 1
DuckTales Remastered (X360 BC)
Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
Jetpac Refulled (X360 BC - Rare Replay)
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (X360 BC - Rare Replay)
Perfect Dark Zero (X360 BC - Rare Replay)
Rare Replay (all 200 achievements for 4000 Gamerscore)
Call of Duty WW2
Magic The Gathering 2013 (BC)
The Witness
Prey
Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus
Far Cry 5
Lara Croft: Guardian of Light (BC)
Sega Genesis Classics
Dishonored 2
A Way Out
Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
Mega Man 11
The Evil Within 2
White Night
QUBE2
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
LocoCycle
Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna)

Switch:

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna The Golden City

PS4:

God of War
Ni No Kuni 2
Detroit: Become Human
Spider-Man

PS1:

Tomba
Tomba 2
Echo Night

3DS:

Metroid Samus Returns
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #156 on: January 01, 2019, 07:25:41 PM »
Valkyria Chronicles 4.

Really enjoyed it. I don't think it's as good as the first one, but still a real fun game.

My problems are the story gets a bit too anime over the top. In the first the characters felt removed from the main conflict, they were just soldiers experiencing the conflict. While there was some anime super powers stuff, it still did'nt feel as JRPGish as the 4th. The character's were ok and the theme of war twisting your motivations was solid. Still it felt a little ridiculous and not as "grounded" as the first one. Also the presentation allowed for more story and content, but also longer story sequences and a cheaper feeling. Since everything was cutscenes basically in the first one the pacing was a bit better and story moments more to the point.

Still lots of good content and an amazingly mechanical game.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 07:30:07 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #157 on: January 02, 2019, 10:41:43 AM »
Finished Far Cry 5 over the last couple of days.

The game has some really solid foundations, when it comes to gameplay, as you can do a lot of acrobatics and manouvers, in very intuitive ways (not to the levels of a Titanfall 2, but still good).
Everything around that though is kind of bland to shit, which is a shame.

The story is insufferable (thank god for the skip button) and the gameplay loop is broken by the constant interruptions (be it story ones, or just plain enemy spawner gone wild).

You'll be scouting an enmy outpost trying to make it stealth (by far the most fun you can have with the game) and here comes an (unrelated) enemy partol, then an enemy plane just happens to fly by, then a bear, then a cougar, then another fucking partol.. all in the span of 2 minutes; it's annoying as shit.

Another problem is that these outposts last too little: You take out the alarms (usually 2 or 3, tops) and then you get to kill 5 or 6 guys and you're done; back to traveling from A to B.
It's just an out of balance gameplay loop, where you get to have 5 minutes of fun every 30 of annoyance.

And don't get me started on those AI companions, the animales can't even get on the passenger seat, and you run them over constantly, as a result.
At least in coop is a bit better, but even then, your buddy can't retain the mission progress for themselves.

It's just a mess, a mess with potentially great gameplay at its core.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #158 on: January 02, 2019, 11:04:37 AM »
I'll try to remember to play some games this year, instead of just mobage trash and watching LPs on Youtube.
©@©™

paprikastaude

« Reply #159 on: January 02, 2019, 11:05:33 AM »

january:

1 Hey Pikmin - I liked the demo, kinda made me miss stylus based games. Final game was kind of forgettable though. Good underground theme.
2 God of War - Really enjoyable, especially once you get to the big temple. Little story, mostly very good action adventuring with competent level design.
3 God of War 2 - Less coherent than the first game, dumb story bits become much more of a focus and the game design isn't as good. Still, I can't deny that some sessions I've played were several hours long.
4 Binary Domain - replay. Underrated, especially because of the bosses, but I didn't enjoy it quite as much as on my first playthrough.
5 Starfox - I played this for the first time on the SNES Mini and was surprised at how enjoyable it is, especially since I don't think of the series highly. I already did several playthroughs by now.
6 Starfox 64 3D - The free roaming gimmick is as tedious as I remember it being. I prefer the first game.

february:

7 Tales of Eternia - I took a month or so break because the overly long final boss has a 1 hit KO QTE, which killed my motivation after my first try... Other than that, it was fun. There's an amazing art direction/2D graphics and the sprites save even the otherwise dumb character designs. I liked how fast paced it was, I finished the game in 25 hours... even though I only found out you can dash after I was almost done with the game.  :doge  2D battles don't feel that different from 3D Tales though.
8 Burnout Legends - This maybe is my favorite game after Dracula X Chronicles on my LTTP PSP so far. I only ever watched people play Burnout 3 and finally got my hands on the gameplay. Still awesome, although the PSP screen makes it hard on a few maps to make out what's in the distance. And crash mode is kind of dumb because you need to go through 1 minute of menus, saving and loading between 15 second long actual missions.
9 Monster Hunter World - Easily the best playing Monster Hunter, amazing audiovisuals on top of it. I don't mind the lack of G-content, instead I'm glad they toned the series down again. It went off the rails with idol dance numbers and whatnot before this game.

March:

10 The 25th Ward: The Silver Case - Visual novel by Grasshopper with great music and art, plus some intriguing story bits (but out of the 3 main stories it provides, I didn't like one in particular). A few puzzles are fun, but mostly it's just typing in numbers and passwords. This originally came out on cellphones in 2005, so that's probably why it's designed that way. It still plays better than Silver Case 1.

April:

11 Ratchet & Clank PS4 - I was surprised that I didn't hate this series' Dreamworks-esque make-up. I actually chuckled at points. The environments look great, but the characters are simply hideous. The gameplay is fun, though the main problem is that every weapon is lame in one way or the other. It's cool to combine them for havoc, but none of them are that fun on their own...
12 Ni No Kuni 2 - Forgettable story, but the gameplay and presentation made it addictive anyway. Side content feels meaningful, because it is all connected by the kingdom.
13 God Of War PS4 - Very good combat, good difficulty, okay exploration and puzzle solving, very good presentation/world making, annoying story and handholding in the beginning. The kid is shit.

May:

14 Ape Escape 2 - I liked its audiovisuals and mission structure, capturing apes feels gut. But the controls are wonky, mostly because of completely unintuitive button placement, not being able to change the inverted camera, etc.
15 Donkey Kong Country - replayed, thankfully I found the shortcut in the snow barrel stage in this playthrough.
16 Super Mario World - replayed. I like how every playthrough can be different because of its secrets, even though I still went for everything in the end.
17 Pacman 256 - I unlocked everything, so I guess that counts as finished. It's a fun iteration of Pacman, which is about going forward in an endless maze and upgrading powerups.

June:

18 Super Mario RPG - Well paced, written and the gameplay is more fun than several of the more modern Mario RPGs. It's got a really bad art direction though, and I'm usually fond of prerendered graphics.
19 Demon's Crest - I think this has some of the best SNES spritework I've seen. It's also a fun enough action platformer, but I don't like the IGA-esque progression - i.e. lock away the real ending and a bunch of levels with no indication of such during the fake credits.
20 Bloodstained: Ritual of the Moon - Competent Castlevania clone, there's not much else to say. It's exactly what it looks like.
21 Lara Croft GO - Very good puzzle design with a competent difficulty curve and natural introduction of new mechanics. Also, the atmosphere is pretty cool for a puzzle game and I'm glad I didn't play it on a phone, on which I probably wouldn't have played with sound.
22 Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - Replayed, this was not as good as I remember. The graphics are as hideous as I remember though and the main gimmicks (lending items and wall walking) are throwaway in hindsight. What stands out are the good dungeons and music, but the pacing and exploration is somehow so much better in ALttP (of which I usually wasn't too fond of in the past, until I've also replayed that one).

July:

23 Way of the Samurai 3 - Good music and illusion of freedom make this a cool samurai sandbox, but after a few endings and jank I had my fill.
24 Captain Toad 3DS - Cool collection of different pseudo-platforming stages based on Mario ideas and I guess perspective puzzles. The latter made it feel like something Nintendo would have done during the N64 era to highlight new 3D camera features. I guess that makes sense, considering the game comes from an era in which Nintendo tried their best to destroy their own 3D innovations from back in the day and claim people didn't understand 3D gaming until Spatoon  :doge
25 Sonic Mania - A perfect imagination of what a real/good Sonic game on Saturn would have been. Great. (So the marketing with the Genesis/Megadrive back cover is actually kinda dumb, not that it matters - the packaging is great too)

August:

26 Megaman Powered Up - Made Megaman 1 playable, though the controls for running are a little fucked up. You get used it to it though.
27 Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age - Really enjoyed the world building and micro management, although I don't know whether I would've liked the og release without 2x speed and quicksaves.
28 Shenmue - Some of the pacing could have been better, but the atmosphere makes up for it. Moments like training your kungfu in the park between snow and neon lights while the sun sets and the lowkey OST plays, feel like nothing else.
29 Yakuza Kiwami 2 - The new engine is great, though I don't like how they increasingly want to hold your hand for sidequests instead of just letting you explore.

September:

30 Metal Gear Solid - Good game, although the story was obviously overhyped by kiddos back in the day. But the gameplay and atmosphere were still good. Nevertheless, it's refreshing to play a PS1 game with such a high quality voice work. I waited quite a while to get this game, because most versions over here force a horrid German dub on to the player.
31 Spyro 2 - Good platformer, like Banjo-lite. The level design is much more involving than the rather shallow first game. The camera is a little finnicky, but certainly managable compared to other games of that era.
32 Rayman Legends - Replayed this game for like the third time because of PS+. GOAT platformer controls, awesome quick pace, actual inventive worlds on top of its mechanics, doing a good online mode, fixed some annoyances of Origins, i.e. best platforming sequel of last/current generation.

october:

33 Megaman 11 - I think this is the hardest MM game that I've played, but the difficulty feels more natural. I like the level design, a shame about the awful New Mario Bros.-esque audiovisuals.
34 Shadow of the Colossus remake - The camera is still a little shit sometimes, but they've improved the controls just enough for me to finally feel the hype for this game thoroughly.
35 Bloodborne - My first (active) Platinum, chalice dungeons aren't great, but okay enough in coop. The execution ending was my final trophy.

November:

36 Castlevania 4 - feels good to go through the journey in one sitting (while other CV games feel more arcadey and less coherent in their 'adventure')
37 Castlevania Dracula Chronicles X - I changed between the remake and the og Rondo of Blood. I think both have their advantages, both great games.
38 Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow - Gladly I still liked this as much as back in the day, after I wasn't too hot on my LTTP Portrait of Ruin. The drop rate for souls should be higher, other than that it's great.
39 Kirby Superstar - fast paced and diverse gameplay, great presentation to this day

December:

40 Professor Layton Last Specter - I liked that the puzzle solving felt a bit more natural than prior titles. Though some main problems remain. i.e. There's arbitrary difficulty spikes and it's annoying when a puzzle is only hard, because its long ass explanation isn't clear (especially math things). On the other hand, the atmosphere is still ace. There's also an Animal Crossing clone in this, which is kind of interest
ing for an hour or two.
41 Tetris DS - I guess I "finished" it, because I got to the credits. I was never a fan of these types of puzzle games, but several QOL features at least made Tetris somewhat fun for me for the first time. Meanwhile, I can't for the life of me comprehend things like Puyo or Dr. Mario even with several hours of practice.