Author Topic: Dad of War  (Read 20145 times)

kingv

Re: Dad of War - April 20th
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2018, 08:46:11 AM »
This is better than I thought it would be, but I’m not completely sold on the combat.

A lot of the encounters seem to go on overly long.

nudemacusers

« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2018, 09:32:53 AM »
Still haven’t seen anything as gory as gow3; which is expected as the tone has changed.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2018, 11:07:49 AM »
Wish I had a Pro. After playing at 4K on PC for so long, the image quality is bothering me.

kingv

« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2018, 12:15:00 PM »
Still haven’t seen anything as gory as gow3; which is expected as the tone has changed.

Even 2 hours in the number and quality of stun actions seems pretty light. Already tired of ripping draugrs in half or doing the body slam move.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 12:29:13 PM by kingv »

Svejk

« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2018, 12:18:08 PM »
Not really getting any TLOU vibes at all, tbph.  So far, it seems alot more like GoW: Hellblade Edition to me.  Really enjoying though. 

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2018, 05:32:04 PM »
This is better than I thought it would be, but I’m not completely sold on the combat.

I’m having the same issue. I may turn down the difficulty just because the enemies can be such sponges. I had to do the same in Yakuza Kiwami and it looks like I’m going to be doing the same in 6. It’s not that the enemies are too tough. They just take too long to kill given the frequency of combat.
serge

nudemacusers

« Reply #126 on: April 21, 2018, 05:40:37 PM »
god of war has never had particularly engaging combat IME; serviceable but kinda one-note, even in gow 3 where everyone (read: sonyponies on gaf) praised the depth. i didn't really mind then and don't mind now, the package was fortified in other areas.

also another note but kratos' run animation just looks so ... bland. like he's doing a casual jog at the park in lululemon.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

kingv

« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2018, 06:15:06 PM »

I’m having the same issue. I may turn down the difficulty just because the enemies can be such sponges. I had to do the same in Yakuza Kiwami and it looks like I’m going to be doing the same in 6. It’s not that the enemies are too tough. They just take too long to kill given the frequency of combat.

I feel like too many encounters just keep generating new dudes to fight. There’s always like three waves of identical enemies.

I sort of feel like the combat doesn’t have enough depth to support it, but there’s a lot of upgrades on the tree so maybe it improves.

Fighting the giant ogre/troll guys is pretty boring though. Those guys take way too long to kill. Though the flip side of that is they have killed me once or twice because I got sloppy/impatient during my 10 minute fight and just walked up and started wailing on them.

Edit: I definitely feel the last of us and uncharted influence. The same basic flow of puzzle-explore-combat is similar, the type of “omg I have dad feelings but I’m not sure how to act on them” and especially the pointless climbing that seems to exist mostly for cool vistas and the opportunity to have the characters chat seems ripped out of the naughty dog playbook.

But overall it seems there is more variety here, and frankly the story telling and environment building is the best part of naughty dogs games, so it’s the right thing to steal.

It’s still basically a one and done game imo. I’ll beat it once and trade it for sure.

Switters

« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2018, 08:04:16 PM »
Yoooooooooo that first fight with Jeremie Davies is better than 75% of most final bosses. I pounded my choad hard after that one.
troll

kingv

« Reply #129 on: April 21, 2018, 08:48:08 PM »
Yeah that fight was pretty dope.

El Babua

« Reply #130 on: April 22, 2018, 01:34:05 AM »
You can unlock moves that can take down weaklings really quick.

Minor gameplay spoilers:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Once the game opens up, it's basically becomes the Uncharted I wanted where there's tangible benefits to exploring and the areas actually being revisit-able instead of being arbitrarily closed off by a falling rock or whatever.
[close]

archie4208

« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2018, 12:04:32 PM »
The game reminds me of a mix of RE4 and Arkham Asylum.

It's awesome, but I don't know if it's the life affirming piece of media that reviewers have played it up as.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2018, 05:09:51 PM »
I thought the combat was very one-note until I started unlocking stuff. Kratos starts feeling like a tank. It almost feels like a tower defense game, just knocking out waves of enemies after upgrading everything.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2018, 09:47:34 PM »
©@©™

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2018, 10:06:32 PM »
It's a p good game, but some of these rune puzzles suck the whole asshole. "Let's have a really precise timed axe throwing puzzle to show off our extremely loose and imprecise axe throwing controls." Some of them make me want to give Cory Barlog an excuse to cry in a YouTube video again.
sup

Svejk

« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2018, 08:36:46 AM »
The more and more things that start to click in this game, it's really becoming the GOAT.  Like for real.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2018, 08:41:06 AM »
This game is pretty rad

Kratos rubs me the wrong way though

kingv

« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2018, 09:29:57 AM »
After 4 hours or so, I agree that this game is pretty damn good.

As 8bitnatedawg says above, the combat system opens up after you get some upgrades. IMO that makes it a lot better.

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2018, 04:35:12 PM »
Combat works pretty good for me, at least my most favorite since Dark Souls. Just beat the story and aside from a few issues the game is one of the best i have played. It's great that they added
fog land and that fire
[close]
realm as well, they work surprisingly well.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2018, 08:05:26 PM »
also another note but kratos' run animation just looks so ... bland. like he's doing a casual jog at the park in lululemon.
i seem to remember this as always being the case, i feel like he was causally trotting through I and II, and like the parts where you had to run from stuff in time limits he didn't seem real concerned about walls of death or flames or anything coming

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2018, 08:30:30 PM »
Is this game meant to be intentional dogshit at the start? Why the fuck am I fighting 10 enemies per encounter and why do they take AGES to kill?
fat

nudemacusers

« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2018, 08:42:12 PM »
i seem to remember this as always being the case, i feel like he was causally trotting through I and II, and like the parts where you had to run from stuff in time limits he didn't seem real concerned about walls of death or flames or anything coming
checking gow 3 he looks a bit more intense w/ his run animation, got more pump in those arms.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #142 on: April 23, 2018, 09:07:32 PM »
Is this game meant to be intentional dogshit at the start? Why the fuck am I fighting 10 enemies per encounter and why do they take AGES to kill?

Do yourself a favor and drop the difficulty, you'll have a much better time. All harder difficulties seems to do is make enemies even spongier.
sup

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #143 on: April 23, 2018, 10:38:02 PM »

This is what I thought too.  Master the dodge, spam Atreus's arrows, and don't always default to the axe.  Sometimes fisticuffs and the shield are more fun and effective.

Also, upgrade your melee attacks like immediately.
püp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #144 on: April 23, 2018, 10:42:11 PM »
I dropped the difficulty to what I assume is normal. It helped, but the combat is still liquid dogshit so I find myself having to spam dodge since enemies attack from behind, in an attempt to corral all the enemies to be in my sights.
fat

kingv

« Reply #145 on: April 23, 2018, 10:49:35 PM »
I kind of agree about the combat, but imo it improves a good bit about 2-3 hours in as you start to unlock some more moves and get some upgrades on the axe.

I still might drop it down to easy though, I’m not really here for any challenge.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #146 on: April 24, 2018, 12:03:58 AM »
I dropped the difficulty to what I assume is normal. It helped, but the combat is still liquid dogshit so I find myself having to spam dodge since enemies attack from behind, in an attempt to corral all the enemies to be in my sights.

Use the axe for crowd control (and range), otherwise, beat the shit out of them with your fists to build up stun super quick, and one shot them.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2018, 12:16:04 AM »
The combat is so bad
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #148 on: April 24, 2018, 01:39:42 AM »
Even fighting the trolls are a slog. Theres no rhyme or reason to their attacks. The boy dings it with an arrow but it distracts it for a second before turning right back on me.
fat

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2018, 07:50:55 AM »
It's good to hear Demi is enjoying the game as much as I am.

Svejk

« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2018, 08:35:32 AM »
This game is to the GoW series, what RE4 is the the RE series.  The combat is solid AF.  Enemies seemed spongy at first, but leveling up and opening up more (OP) moves wrecks enemies quick.  Glad I've been going in blind.  What a surprise this game is turning out to be.  Don't want it to end.  The problem though, is the freakin' media.  I can't even go onto a gaming site or youtube without spoiler titles and thumbnails slapping me in the face.  Fuck you, internet.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 08:49:26 AM by Svejk »

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2018, 10:08:25 AM »
The RE4 comparisons and allegories don't make sense to me, at all. There was nothing like RE4 when it was released, almost nothing in the game was iterative besides herbs healing you. It wasn't iterative compared to the RE franchise, it wasn't iterative compared to ANY action game or series.

God of War sounds like an incredibly iterative game that takes a fuck ton of good concepts and ideas from games. That's iterative. RE4 isnt and wasnt iterative.

OH!

ILikePizza

« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2018, 03:18:01 PM »
Man, resolution mode is hot garbage on 1080p displays.  Blurrier visuals and much worse frame rate.  I thought the whole point of downsampling was to have a sharper and cleaner image.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Hi

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #154 on: April 24, 2018, 04:31:27 PM »
Yeah, the father/son interaction was quite cheesy. I do wonder which dumbass thought it was a good idea to put that "sir" thing that the kid keeps saying to a "Greek" dude in a "Scandinavian" world, so corny.

kingv

« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2018, 06:32:47 PM »
I feel like this is definitely the best song exclusive.

They have really managed to marry that Uncharted storytelling and world building with solid gameplay. Naughty Dogs games always felt like they were really carried by the production values. Like if you had uncharted or Last of aus VR missions or challenge mode, nobody would want to play that shit. But God of War seems to be good enough so far that just fighting is fun.

I’ll tell you what is boring as fuck are those rune puzzles though. Those are lame as fuck and 4 hours in I’m tired of them. I feel like I need to do enough to get the second health upgrade and then I will ignore them for the rest of the game.

bluemax

« Reply #156 on: April 25, 2018, 01:12:15 AM »
The RE4 comparisons and allegories don't make sense to me, at all. There was nothing like RE4 when it was released, almost nothing in the game was iterative besides herbs healing you. It wasn't iterative compared to the RE franchise, it wasn't iterative compared to ANY action game or series.

God of War sounds like an incredibly iterative game that takes a fuck ton of good concepts and ideas from games. That's iterative. RE4 isnt and wasnt iterative.

There were plenty of clunky tank games before RE4, most of them didn't pretend to be fast paced action games though.

Yeah, the father/son interaction was quite cheesy. I do wonder which dumbass thought it was a good idea to put that "sir" thing that the kid keeps saying to a "Greek" dude in a "Scandinavian" world, so corny.

The way the kid talks is entirely anachronistic, but its a video game, so shrug.
NO

Raist

« Reply #157 on: April 25, 2018, 04:41:00 PM »
Man, resolution mode is hot garbage on 1080p displays.  Blurrier visuals and much worse frame rate.  I thought the whole point of downsampling was to have a sharper and cleaner image.

Resolution mode means your PS4 pumps out 4k (checkerboard). Which then gets downscaled by your TV. What the fuck did you expect? :lol

ILikePizza

« Reply #158 on: April 25, 2018, 05:29:53 PM »

Resolution mode means your PS4 pumps out 4k (checkerboard). Which then gets downscaled by your TV. What the fuck did you expect? :lol

I was expecting the visuals in resolution mode to be to sharper not blurrier.  When I downsample from 4k on PC games, the resulting image is super clean.  With some of these PS4 games like GoW and SoTC, the image qualilty seems to get worse.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: April 27, 2018, 01:27:44 PM »

I was expecting the visuals in resolution mode to be to sharper not blurrier.  When I downsample from 4k on PC games, the resulting image is super clean.  With some of these PS4 games like GoW and SoTC, the image qualilty seems to get worse.

Pretty sure resolution mode isn't downsampling in the same way PC games do, especially with the checkerboard rendering.  Use the performance mode, bruh. 
ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2018, 05:25:18 AM »
*Sees the metacritic went from 95 to 94*

Time to visit the Resetera thread. Hehehehehe.

El Babua

« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2018, 01:25:41 PM »
Beat it, really good.

My enjoyment was hampered by higher expectations, and hype building up and not fully delivering as the game came to a close.

Really ballsy of them to make a Norse mythology game and not even have Thor or Odin appear throughout the story at all, unless you count the secret ending scene. Good build up for the next game tho.

Also wish some of the environmental design and puzzles were more complex than what we got. I'm sure there were at one point or another during playtesting, but I wish they at least had one Hera's puzzle in this one.

Combat was great, the game rewards you for knowing which moves to use when. Some of the scenarios had some annoying shit though like spinning fire traps and dragon lightning coming out of the ground during combat. Would have been fine if Kratos didn't take up half the screen but he did.
[close]

Overall, top 2 Sony developed game this gen. Don't know if I should put this or Horizon over. Bloodborne and Doom still the best PS4 games tho.

archie4208

« Reply #162 on: April 28, 2018, 07:54:30 PM »
re: the ending

I was let down that Thor and Odin didn't show up, especially since they were hyped the entire game.  I saw the secret ending and the blatant sequel bait.
[close]

Still loved the game, but the final act was not what I had hoped.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #163 on: April 29, 2018, 04:20:30 AM »
I like how the one-take nature of the game makes his kid look like a schizophrenic freak. I also like that the gameplay causes even more tonal whiplash.

"I fucking hate you dad!"
"Let's solve this bridge puzzle."

In the span of 5 seconds.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2018, 07:10:41 AM »
idk why there is a million collectables in this game. sheesh
fat

kingv

« Reply #165 on: April 29, 2018, 09:27:25 AM »
I like how the one-take nature of the game makes his kid look like a schizophrenic freak. I also like that the gameplay causes even more tonal whiplash.

“You never loved mom anyway!”

“Boy, watch your tongue”

“Wow, this is so amazing!”

paprikastaude

« Reply #166 on: April 29, 2018, 01:00:55 PM »

“You never loved mom anyway!”

“Boy, watch your tongue”

“Wow, this is so amazing!”

adhd shaming  :wag

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #167 on: April 29, 2018, 03:07:07 PM »
Someone with a Resetera account should make a thread about the svartalfer (black elves) being the bad ones and the light elves (white ones) being the good ones.

Raist

« Reply #168 on: April 29, 2018, 04:46:11 PM »
Someone with a Resetera account should make a thread about the svartalfer (black elves) being the bad ones and the light elves (white ones) being the good ones.

And namedrop Tolkien for bonus Reeeeeee points.

kingv

« Reply #169 on: April 29, 2018, 05:20:00 PM »
You have to also tie it into marvel movies, since dark elves are evil there too.

However Dad of war has a line after you kill the dark elf general where the kid is like “ermahgerd, did we help the bad guys?” Because the dark elf says something like “you don’t know what you’ve doooooone” in ancient elf tongue as he’s dying.

The troll of trolls method would be to say God of War is woke to upend this racist trope and end it with based Barlog!

paprikastaude

« Reply #170 on: April 29, 2018, 08:05:37 PM »
I like how they want to be all deep and morally ambiguous by commenting all the different enemy kinds and death in the beginning. Then they get into some foreign elf kindgom slaying everyone, no question asked.  :doge

Either way, the hype got me for the first time for such a game and I bought it. It's pretty good whenever it doesn't focus on the pretentious writing or handholding. So far it thankfully gets better the longer it goes.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #171 on: April 30, 2018, 11:55:42 AM »
I like how Kotaku harps on what they consider one of the best scenes in the game (spoiler: its not)

https://kotaku.com/let-s-talk-about-that-scene-from-god-of-war-1825516978

And literally after this whole event, Atreus becomes easily the worst part of the game (not that he already wasnt).
A complete shift of character for WHATEVER REASON that just made me roll my eyes every time Atreus spoke. Like what the fuck dude.
fat

El Babua

« Reply #172 on: April 30, 2018, 01:28:43 PM »
Whatever

paprikastaude

« Reply #173 on: April 30, 2018, 02:08:52 PM »
This game would be so good if it was just fighting and puzzle solving with Kratos and Mimir. But nooo, that ass Cory Barlog had to bait all these emotionally underdeveloped gaming reporters with Atraeus. Thankfully Mimir is now negating his awfulness. And they are now generally silent during optional exploring, which improves the experience by several hundred percent. I didn't even mind Atraeus in the beginning, but by the mine stage (which I thought was otherwise the best level up until that point) he has turned into a cranked up version of Zelda Skyward Swords sidekick.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 05:40:44 PM by Spieler1 »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #174 on: April 30, 2018, 04:16:35 PM »
The Valkyrie fights are pretty lit. I beat two of them so far (I guess they're meant for endgame content)
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #175 on: April 30, 2018, 05:43:24 PM »
That double boss fight.  :leon Love the fighintg. Also,
the blade get was pretty hype, even though I'm not even a core fan of the series.
[close]

Switters

« Reply #176 on: May 02, 2018, 02:11:45 PM »
My dad would have beaten me into fossil fuels if I had ever talked to him like that. Where's the button to whoop that ass?
troll

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #177 on: May 02, 2018, 03:57:36 PM »
idk why there is a million collectables in this game. sheesh
It's fun. Like the missile upgrades in Metroid.
每天生气

kingv

« Reply #178 on: May 04, 2018, 01:22:10 PM »
Played some more last night, and I think I’ve fully opened the map. I’ve hit some fights that are pretty difficult in side content. The Valkyrie that I fought, for example, I just found not fun on normal difficulty so I put it down to easy.

Largely I think the combat is at its worst when you are fighting enemies that basically one shot you.

paprikastaude

« Reply #179 on: May 04, 2018, 04:06:23 PM »
I can't believe how addicted I've got to Nifelheim.

Meanwhile, the main story ended like the wet fart that it is, after it had almost shown potential. I have no idea what reviewers saw in that narrative. I guess gaming press is still full of fanboys whose first book probably was Ready Player One.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 04:12:53 PM by Spieler1 »