Author Topic: Dad of War  (Read 20197 times)

kingv

Re: Dad of War - April 20th
« Reply #180 on: May 05, 2018, 07:59:59 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
the part where Kratos is begging for Frey’s to let him in wth Atreus is super lame, and the nature of the boys illness is dumb.
[close]

kingv

« Reply #181 on: May 05, 2018, 08:50:16 PM »
The reveal to Atreus was dumb too

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #182 on: May 05, 2018, 11:24:41 PM »
Beat the story, doing the side content. Nifelheim is literally a roguelike. Neat stuff. It does it better than Destiny 2 did its terrible Infinite Forest.
fat

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #183 on: May 06, 2018, 04:04:13 AM »
the nature of the boys illness is dumb.
[close]

Them identity politics in my dumb pg-13 murder sim. You only feel good when you know who you really are.
[close]

I like the people telling me there's a lot of games that are like the old GoW. You got Dante's Inferno and? Unless there's more of these 90s EXTREME! gore fest games I haven't heard of.

They basically turned the series from Tokyo Gore Police into a Marvel flick.

paprikastaude

« Reply #184 on: May 06, 2018, 10:37:27 AM »
Getting everything in Nifelheim is getting way too grindey. But then again, I'm making that mist armor. I guess if I was making fire armor, Muspelheim would be the one that drags out. I was thinking of going for the Platinum, but with the treasure maps and artifacts it would probably be getting a little too tedious. Just going for that valkyrie endgame for now...

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #185 on: May 06, 2018, 10:20:40 PM »
Just got the Plat, Sigrun fight made me want to break my controller (again), I really fucking hate the combat in this game.
fat

kingv

« Reply #186 on: May 07, 2018, 12:32:24 AM »
I will not try to get the plat, it’s a good game, of a Sort, but not as good as nillas suggest

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Dad of War
« Reply #187 on: May 08, 2018, 10:44:02 PM »
https://www.clickhole.com/the-series-is-a-playstation-exclusive-because-an-xbox-s-1825857295#qjycgo2z7

1. The newest installment is set in Norse mythology following a spiritual awakening that leads Kratos to realize he only believes in Greek mythology because his parents did.

2. The game is a mythical allegory for creator David Jaffe’s real-life experience of watching his dad accidentally kill a pregnant bear with his car and then act like he did it on purpose to teach his son some vague lesson about survival.

3. Kratos has the ability to throw his ax and then magically call it back to his hand up to 30 times before he gets bored and the game is over.

4. The franchise is a PlayStation exclusive due to the Xbox’s graphics card being designed to recognize no other gods before Christ.

5. Previous installments of God Of War feature Ellen Pompeo as Meredith Grey, a non-playable character who is a doctor at a hospital in Seattle who treats Kratos for scurvy.

6. The goal of God Of War is to collect tokens, which can be spent at the general store on items such as a watering can or a backhoe, and to upgrade your house as you befriend the many colorful residents of your small town.

7. The character of Kratos was inspired by the real-life god of war, Telly Savalas.

8. The critically acclaimed series has probably won the “Golden Controller” or “Palme d’Memory Card” or something like that.
©@©™

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #188 on: May 09, 2018, 02:43:10 PM »
©ZH

paprikastaude

« Reply #189 on: May 13, 2018, 04:05:46 PM »
I've spent like 3 hours on sigrun and only now remembered I could have bought a ressurection stone  :snoop  They've split mechanics into way too many sub-parts.

Nola

« Reply #190 on: May 13, 2018, 06:09:06 PM »
I really liked the game, but tbh, by the time I got to Sigrun I was fatigued and didn't have the patience for what was already becoming a ridiculously designed time sink of an end game boss..So I just put it on easy and called it a game. No regrets.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #191 on: May 15, 2018, 09:08:04 PM »
I finished it a while ago and here are my thoughts. It was ok. I'd give it a 8 out of 10. Mostly because of the pacing, it being a little too long, and the combat wearing thin.

It's a good game, but I don't think it's the 2nd coming at all.

I think the story for all intents and purposes was pretty good. Well, not the story really. The story is rather boring. The plot is anyway.

Nothing really happens, which is fine because this is a personal story. It's character driven and more about Kratos dealing with how to connect with his son. That stuff is great. It's well written and well I'm not going to say subtle because it often hits you over the head with how hard it is for the man to connect with his son, I will say it's interwoven well with their dialogue and interactions. But I wouldn't say subtle, because this distance is pretty much all their dialogue is about. You get some dialogue on the boat that plays on the humor of Kratos' straight and narrow attitude, but most of the important dialogue is constantly hitting you over the head with the themes of the narrative, which means you get the point of it from hour one. Meaning it gets a little annoying. It's well written for a game, but I'm not in love with it. Still there are some amazing moments between the characters.

But the actual plot is of little interests to me and kind of at odds with the framing of the story. GoW is not a minimalist journey, it is an epic journey through the world and the characters are extremely important and effecting the world. So you have kind of a boring villain with uninteresting motivations and the rest of the game is kind of vaguely hearing about him and the greater background of the world while the two main characters have their growth. But nothing really happens beyond that. Someone said this is a prologue to a bigger story and yeah that's what it feels like. A really long prologue to a better story. I felt bored as Kratos and son traveled in between realms. I was invested in their characters, but you also let me know there's this exciting story going on in the background and then the game doesn't really care to let me in on it. I'm going to these amazing places, but the story is staying small scale. Even though you are letting me know there's amazing things actually going on. Since honestly the father and son themes of the story can only stretch so far and for so long, I kind of got bored as hour 20 went on.

There's really no tension or intersting turns beyond Kratos which I guess is the point of the personal focus. But then there's certain contrived things such as Atures' godhood and his lame sickness. Kratos didn't know he was a good all the time and he had no sickness. Certainly you could have made him reveal to him this is in a less forced way.

Most of the intersting story revelations of plot importance happen in the begining and ending of the game with little in between.

And this is just a personal opinion, but Kratos here is a cheat. They cheated. They didn't do any leg work. They made a new character, but gave him a familiar past we can reference. I fail to see how the same pos Kratos could turn into someone fearful of his own anger, trying to keep in control, and scared of passing it on. You don't really show me how got to this point. You just said the character is like this for reasons. You skipped a step and while Kratos here is a good character, I can't help but remember the pos Kratos that was in the other games. The one that killed innocents to solve a puzzle. That is not the same Kratos that would spare a defeated son of Thor who attacked him. So since I couldn't completely forget, there was some disconnect. Especially since the game wants me to remember that character and references the past. it just doesn't resolve it.

But as far as gameplay. The axe was great and the game felt very tactical.

But in the end I didn't feel like there was plenty of moves. The move set felt limited. While the combat kept me moving and involved and always thinking about how to attack enemies. In the end I never felt like I had a huge tool set to go about it. Throw axe for nightmares or to stun enmies for a shield run then combo with axe if needed. People compared this to RE4, but there I constantly switched weapons and changed how I was playing. Not so much here and it's not like the combos had a lot of variety.

The enemies sure didn't. Halfway through I felt like you've seen the enemies. Nightmares, grunt, tougher grunt, lots of trolls, and then some tough things like valkyires and knights. But few of them require a unique approach and in the end the game seems to lack imagination in it's combat scenario. Throwing the same set ups and kind of wearing thin.

Then the game introduces the blades of chaos and falls apart. I guess the blades offer a different utility and toolset then the axe, but then in the end it just feels like you're mashing R1, like the old games. Crowd control, being this games thing and the blades offering mindless crowd control. The boat section in Hel was mindnumingly boring as I felt like all I had to do was mash R1 and move a bit as that seemed to destroy enemies and keep that at a distance. That section went on too long.

Which is actually how I would describe this game. It goes unto long with constant go get this other mucmuffin which is never good. Since there's not enough enemy variety and combat seems to wear then this becomes highlighted. How many times does the game need to throw another troll? It seems the combat and scenario lost their imagination halfway through the game.

And the side quests sure did. While the drawfs had decent side quests, the ghosts offered side quests that could be in any game. The stories for them were whatever. While Kratos and son has some good dialogue with them, in the end they felt pretty mediocre.
[close]

kingv

« Reply #192 on: May 16, 2018, 11:05:27 AM »
Basically I agree with Rahx.

I’m not quite done yet, but the game definitely overstays it’s welcome

At first I was like “this game is amazing, so good!”

Then st about a dozen hours I set it to easy and I’m just following the waypoints so I can be done with
It.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #193 on: May 16, 2018, 01:06:39 PM »
Kids these days.

"Beat the game in 8h. 60 buckaroos. What a ripoff. Reeeeeeee"

"I'm 12h in and not done yet :stahp"

kingv

« Reply #194 on: May 16, 2018, 01:09:04 PM »
I’m old with kids, so I like short games. Otherwise they take me like 6 months to finish.

Also the game just isn’t mechanically good enough to warrant the length. Once you get that certain thing that you get like halfway through, the game sort of just stagnates. They start running you through the same levels, the story just kind of keeps adding mcguffins, the kids personality completely changes in a silly way, and there’s not really any new mechanics or enemies or combat encounters.

The combat has a weird arc to it. The first 2 hours I was like “damn this combat is basic” two or theee hours of in I was like “wow this combat is going to be great!” 12 hours in, I have basically maxed all the trees except for story-related upgrade items, and I’m like “wow this is basic”.

The cutscenes are pretty good, but you basically lose all control of the character any time anything cool happens.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:16:47 PM by kingv »

kingv

« Reply #195 on: May 17, 2018, 10:36:52 AM »
So I finished it last night. The final boss scene I will say was pretty cool. Even though it doesn’t change much from earlier in the game, it was a fun fight.

I think most of the emotional beats fell flat though. It’s just not well-acted enough to be impactful.

I would maybe call it a 7 or 8/10 game that probably could be a nine if they just tightened up the game. IMO the gameplay isn’t good enough to warrant some of the overly long encounters and reusing of areas and assets.

If it were me, I would have eliminated one or two of the retread mcguffin quests near the end and shortened up some of the encounters that seemed to go on and on and on.

Edit: also probably need to introduce a few new enemies in the 2nd half.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #196 on: May 17, 2018, 11:58:11 AM »
I like how the game is about bonding with the kid when there's basically no gameplay tied into it. The way they use him now he's basically Elisabeth from Bioshock Infinte. Just give me appollo's bow instead if you ain't gonna do shit with him.

I felt more of a connection to my pet in World of Warcraft when I still had to feed the fucker than this kid.