Author Topic: Celeste - Super Meat Boy with a story  (Read 4365 times)

Rman

Celeste - Super Meat Boy with a story
« on: January 27, 2018, 11:17:14 AM »
I've been playing this game on Switch and as a huge fan of Super Meat Boy, I've been enjoying this game a lot.  It also has some nice story stuff, but's not too crazy.

Here's a trailer

Anyone playing this title?  It's awesome.

Himu

Re: Celeste - Super Meat Boy with a story
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 11:18:51 AM »
Looks great! My kind of game!
IYKYK

Rman

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 11:20:27 AM »
Buy it! It's on everything basically. PC, XB1, PS4, and Switch.

Also, the game was designed for the analog stick even though it's a platformer. 

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 08:39:24 PM »
0/5
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 12:21:25 AM »

she sounds like a real slut

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 11:37:36 AM »

she sounds like a real slut

Ah yes, the filler’s mom of video games
🍆🍆

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 03:39:34 PM »
This is a very lovely game
püp

Cryo

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 05:18:24 PM »
this game is extremely fun and charming. my fingers couldn't take chapter 5 and when I looked at my clock it turned out I had one of those 6 hour long gaming sessions without realizing  :preach

agrajag

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 05:22:54 PM »
I hate this pixel art style that is so popular with indi games. Makes me not even want to play it, even if the gameplay looks fun. The new game Dandara looks just like it, even with a similar dashing mechanic.

You know, games on NES didn't try to look pixelated, and interlaced CRT screens hid the flaws even more. They were designed to look good by taking advantage of the interlaced look.

That's also why I found that console games at that time were more visually pleasant than DOS games.

Corporal

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 03:22:22 AM »
I'd prefer 16 Bit gen graphics with roughly 256 colour palettes per screen, plus/minus fuckery. At SNES levels of resolution, again plus/minus tweaks and hacks. So, 320x240-ish.

Basically Mode13h/ModeX in old PC lingo.

These faux NES graphics are good enough for me. anything below that usually is too artsy-fartsy for me.

What do you want those poor indie fucks to do? Channel Vanillaware? Go full blown 3D? There's limits to what a bunch of unwashed nerds on a shoestring budget can achieve. :D
!list

Coax

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 04:08:24 AM »
Momodora: Reverie is I think a good example of a quality level of spritework for an indie game. Just the right amount of detail and resolution.

This game is up my alley though. Prob will grab on itch.io sometime.

agrajag

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 06:53:33 AM »
Hollow Knight waa crowd dunded

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 08:20:19 AM »
Hollow Knight waa crowd dunded
That quote works so well with that avatar pic.

I wish I didn't suck at SMB so much, but I do. So this is a non-starter for me. Looks great though.

agrajag

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 09:35:34 AM »
I always fuck up when I type on my phone and end up having to edit my posts multiple times  :-\

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 09:52:08 AM »
I don't need a phone keyboard to do that. (And I will go so far as to fix a 2 week old typo. :goty2 )

Tasty

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 01:49:54 AM »
I don't mind sprites, but for the love of god use the intended resolution when calculating movement. A lot of these indie games remind me of Flash platformers because they're way too smooth. If you're doubling or tripling the pixels, you should be multiplying the movement increments by 2x or 3x. :maf I also really dislike when UI elements aren't consistent with the game's resolution either.

Not saying Celeste does this (I dunno), but it's cropped up too much. I think Shovel Knight paid respect for this, in addition to nailing just about everything else about the NES feel aside from aspect ratio and color pallet (though they admitted they did as much as they could to stay true to NES colors.)

Coax

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 02:12:15 AM »
I don't mind sprites, but for the love of god use the intended resolution when calculating movement. A lot of these indie games remind me of Flash platformers because they're way too smooth. If you're doubling or tripling the pixels, you should be multiplying the movement increments by 2x or 3x. :maf I also really dislike when UI elements aren't consistent with the game's resolution either.

The Shantae series is guilty of this. They had lovely pixel art and then used high res character portraits and text for the dialog interactions, completely incongruous with the lower resolution sprites. From the looks of it Celeste uses higher res dialog portraits as well, though it's cropped within squares which is less jarring than this:

I disliked the same about Ys as well, which was 3D.

Momodora (below) and Shovel Knight on the other hand did well with keeping the overall consistency high.

Corporal

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 11:11:41 PM »
Yeah, inconsistencies are the worst.

The high-rez fonts in speech bubbles really fucked with me in Golf Story. Why. Why couldn't they just have used an off the shelf "pixelized" font.
!list

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 04:54:19 PM »
This game is really good

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 04:39:39 PM »
Starting this up; hopefully it'll bring me as much joy as Momodora did

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 08:36:17 PM »
Just finished the first B-side with almost 400 deaths :dead

Figure I'll finish the game then come back and do all the B-sides later
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 11:33:39 AM by CrazyDiamond »

archie4208

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 11:57:47 PM »
So I beat all the B-sides.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
And there are motherfucking C-Sides :dead
[close]

Fun game.  Would be my GOTY so far if not for Monster Hunter.

Kevtones

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 02:18:27 AM »
How does Celeste rate against your Super Meat, boys?
wrong

Fifstar

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2018, 05:16:56 AM »
Picked this up and it's living up to the hype. Great controls, level design and atmosphere. Surely the best indie I bought on Switch so far.

Fwiw, I wasn't big on Super Meat Boy but am enjoying this immensely so it might be worth it even if you're not super keen on twitch jump n runs.
Gulp

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2018, 01:28:32 PM »
I really like the game so far and I’ve never played Super Meat Boy
🍆🍆

archnemesis

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2018, 02:14:01 PM »
Does this play well in portable mode? Or does it require pro controller precision?

I really enjoyed Super Meat Boy and VVVVVV was pretty good too. That being said I don't know if I want to play another game like that. The line between challenging and frustrating is very thin.

archie4208

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2018, 03:07:19 PM »
I played it 90% in handheld mode and had no problems.

Freyj

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2018, 01:23:59 PM »
Played through Chapter 1 and 2 with all collectibles so far (I think?). I can’t really do Meat Boy, but something about the screens system and retaining the strawberries makes it much more approachable. A few of the chase screens in Chapter 2 were a little long / irritating, so hopefully the chase stuff doesn’t repeat much and the screens don’t trend longer and longer.

Freyj

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2018, 05:08:16 PM »
Okay Chapter 3s strawberries are driving me a little crazy.

Rman

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2018, 09:59:46 AM »
Does this play well in portable mode? Or does it require pro controller precision?

I really enjoyed Super Meat Boy and VVVVVV was pretty good too. That being said I don't know if I want to play another game like that. The line between challenging and frustrating is very thin.
It was designed with the analog stick in mind, just like Meat Boy.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2018, 10:59:16 AM »

I'm on the fourth chapter and I'm not feeling this one as much.  Each new chapter seems to be more and more tedious.  I don't mind dying constantly but it doesn't really feel rewarding either.  I hope it gets better from here.
🍆🍆

Freyj

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2018, 12:16:13 PM »

I'm on the fourth chapter and I'm not feeling this one as much.  Each new chapter seems to be more and more tedious.  I don't mind dying constantly but it doesn't really feel rewarding either.  I hope it gets better from here.

Yeah same. I was wary of getting into this for this reason because it’s basically the trend that every modern side scrolling platformer tries to keep the difficulty ramping exponentially and there comes a point where I don’t enjoy throwing my poor reflexes at the levels anymore.

archie4208

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2018, 12:22:56 PM »
The main game is probably slightly easier than SMB.  The postgame content (B and C sides) is insane and far more difficult than anything in SMB.  I stopped playing at the world 4 C side, but that's more that I got distracted with other games than anything else.

There are also golden strawberries where you have to complete the entire world without dying and lol nope I'm not even trying that shit.

Fifstar

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2018, 03:54:59 PM »

Yeah same. I was wary of getting into this for this reason because it’s basically the trend that every modern side scrolling platformer tries to keep the difficulty ramping exponentially and there comes a point where I don’t enjoy throwing my poor reflexes at the levels anymore.

Only finished world 5 so far but the difficulty feels finely crafted to me, pretty much a steady increase but with some rest periods and no sudden jumps in difficulty.

I thought the two chase scenes were a bit annoying at first but in retrospect they actually were a nice change of pace.

Some of the videos of the postgame (late c sides) look soulcrushing hard though, probably not gonna bother with them.
Gulp

Freyj

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2018, 06:17:47 PM »
If I wasn’t OCD about strawberries I’d probably like the game more

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2018, 11:39:32 PM »
Halfway through level 4. I'm stuck in a room with one of those moving blocks that I'm not sure if it's a puzzle and I'm not seeing the answer or if I'm simply not being fast enough. I'll get back to that when I'm not as tired.

That aside, I've managed to get everything in the other levels besides the level 2 heart (and the golden strawberries, which I just found out are a thing and I'm not even gonna try). I know where it is but couldn't find out how to get it. Same thing for the level 4 heart, came across it earlier but it was just sitting there right out of my reach. What are those things for, anyway?

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2018, 07:31:44 AM »
Finished the game last night.  As I mentioned before, I wasn't really feeling this game.  I completed a couple of the B sides already and will finish the rest of them and call it good.
🍆🍆

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2018, 07:19:27 PM »
Finished chapter 7. Turns out I liked the plot in this more than I expected, I guess needed something like this right now.

Either way started working my way through the B-sides, gotta do chapter 8 too but I missed a bunch of hearts

Also stopped caring about strawberries in the couple last chapters

Fifstar

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2018, 05:52:11 AM »
Finished the normal game (without Chapter 8) but I don't know if I have the B-Sides in me. I just suck to much at them. Maybe I'll chip them away slowly, there are too many rage-inducing moments in them for me to play them longer than 15 minutes in a row.

How are you guys playing this? I use handheld and the joycons...
Gulp

archnemesis

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2018, 07:49:30 AM »
So far I’ve only played it in handheld mode. Yesterday I made it to chapter 5. I skip half of the strawberries, otherwise I would have to quit playing out of frustration.

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2018, 01:35:57 PM »
I'm playing on PC with a PS3 controller

I think I got all the strawberries except for like 2 or 3 in chapter 5 and then just skipped half of them on chapter 7. Grabbing them is fun but playing those stages over and over looking for them was starting to get annoying

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2019, 07:30:18 PM »
RIHSE FWOM UR GWAVE

This game is awesome. Well done westaboo art and engaging story. Much better shtick than Meat Boy. Platforming is tight and very compelling. I love going for the strawberries so far, just finished chapter 3 with 23/25 of em without using a guide (will use youtube to mop em up of course). Gonna be gunning for that crispy 1000/1000, naturally. I'm glad my aging process hasn't seemed to affect my platforming chops.

Some incredible music too, love how this track built up through the level. Great ambient shit

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2019, 03:12:26 AM »
Saw a (near) full playthrough on youtube, gameplay and visuals looked very neat, story is not my thing.

I think i'll pass though, i tried to replay SMB recently (i finished most levels, light and dark side, in 2010) and just don't have the patience for these kind of games anymore.
Some of the final levels especially looked like they'd get really frustrating.

EDIT: I know there's like a ninja dog mode or whatever, but then why play it?

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2019, 09:06:40 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2019, 09:32:41 PM »
Saw a (near) full playthrough on youtube, gameplay and visuals looked very neat, story is not my thing.

I think i'll pass though, i tried to replay SMB recently (i finished most levels, light and dark side, in 2010) and just don't have the patience for these kind of games anymore.
Some of the final levels especially looked like they'd get really frustrating.

EDIT: I know there's like a ninja dog mode or whatever, but then why play it?

I didn't think it was too bad for the main game, like I thought the tree tops section in Guacamelee 1 was more infuriating than anything in the main SMB or Celeste levels. SMB/Celeste levels are short enough that you just gotta get that 5-10 seconds of inputs right and you get a save state in the next room. I really enjoy that type of gameplay and don't find it horribly frustrating (although some of the B-side stuff is super fucking hard)