Author Topic: RedLetterMedia Thread  (Read 224152 times)

Tasty

Re: RedLetterMedia Thread
« Reply #1200 on: November 19, 2019, 10:55:22 AM »
Mike was kind of a wet noodle on this. Weird that Mac made him watch this and record a re:View and even stranger he agreed to do it. Maybe Mac was expecting a better reaction?

Tasty

« Reply #1201 on: November 21, 2019, 10:26:51 PM »
Really taking their sweet time on that part 2 catchup huh

Tasty

« Reply #1202 on: November 22, 2019, 10:04:37 PM »
Mike was kind of a wet noodle on this. Weird that Mac made him watch this and record a re:View and even stranger he agreed to do it. Maybe Mac was expecting a better reaction?

They did 3 videos with Mac on the same day, you try to keep your energy up after that without poppers or speed.

Huh, you think Mac doesn't share? :thinking

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1203 on: November 22, 2019, 10:06:04 PM »
I mean, he might've shared with Jay the only gay person in that group...  :doge

Tasty

« Reply #1204 on: November 23, 2019, 03:37:31 PM »
Really taking their sweet time on that part 2 catchup huh

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. 8)

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #1205 on: November 23, 2019, 04:23:57 PM »
There are days when the only reason I can manage to get out of bed is a new RLM video tbh

paprikastaude

« Reply #1206 on: November 24, 2019, 08:39:59 AM »
hack frauds didn't watch Parasite

Occam

« Reply #1207 on: December 03, 2019, 09:48:18 AM »
New video:

Occam

« Reply #1208 on: December 03, 2019, 10:39:11 AM »
So the only good movie of 2019 was The Lighthouse? I skipped that segment because I haven't seen it, seems I'll have to remedy this once it gets a home release.

Tasty

« Reply #1209 on: December 10, 2019, 09:07:37 AM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)

Best of the Worst: Christmas 2019

Behind the Scenes with Mac and Shawn

_____ and _____ talk about the Ghostbusters: Afterlife trailer
[close]
[close]
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #1210 on: December 10, 2019, 09:29:01 PM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1211 on: December 11, 2019, 03:39:55 AM »
That was way more positive than I thought it would be.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1212 on: December 11, 2019, 07:56:10 AM »
I dunno how I feel about rugged beard Jay. :lol

That was way more positive than I thought it would be.

I mean most of the internet is like "this is just Stranger Things but with the Ghostbuster's IP" (I guess because of the kids), so I can see why RLM wouldn't be so opposed to it. Given they have a gay on staff, so they have a requisite to hate vagina-taxes (Ghostbuster's: Now Women!) in their films. :p

Jay's right in that this trailer seems to be trying hard to not be "Ghostbusters: 2016" with it's impressions. Which is fine and all, but they need to show that they learned WHY folks didn't like the 2016 film (and it wasn't the women).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 08:03:53 AM by thisismyusername »

Tasty

« Reply #1213 on: December 13, 2019, 01:03:02 PM »

New Nerd Crew :gladbron

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1214 on: December 13, 2019, 03:17:08 PM »
This one was a bit long in the tooth, eh?
But is the Sith Trooper real?  :lol

Boredfrom

« Reply #1215 on: December 13, 2019, 04:01:23 PM »
The sith trooper is real but dunno if they actually have force powers.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #1216 on: December 14, 2019, 04:39:34 AM »
I have a bad feeling about this. Can’t wait for the review from them though.

Tasty

« Reply #1217 on: December 15, 2019, 09:30:02 AM »

:rejoice Is there a :christmas emoji yet?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1218 on: December 15, 2019, 10:47:34 AM »
GARBAGE DAY

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1219 on: December 16, 2019, 12:26:55 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1220 on: December 16, 2019, 07:26:49 PM »
©@©™

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1221 on: December 16, 2019, 10:36:33 PM »
KNIFE!

benjipwns

« Reply #1222 on: December 16, 2019, 11:08:50 PM »
New Nerd Crew :gladbron
This is the best proof yet that they're alt-right. Lots of alt-right people have caught onto the whole one story reports a thing with almost no sources and then all kinds of sites report off that story as the source. They also don't trust corporations who create their own fake viral news. Meanwhile non-bigots respect and don't vilify journalists or artists who are the true leaders of evaluating and creating progressive, intersectional and emotionally connecting high cinema.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1223 on: December 16, 2019, 11:30:51 PM »
I for one welcome our new old alt right overlords

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #1224 on: December 17, 2019, 12:34:11 AM »
The movement just needs to rebrand. The Alt-alright.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #1225 on: December 17, 2019, 02:00:19 PM »
The movement just needs to rebrand. The Alt-alright.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1226 on: December 17, 2019, 04:03:00 PM »

Coax

« Reply #1227 on: December 17, 2019, 10:21:22 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1228 on: December 17, 2019, 10:57:00 PM »
mac sucks

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1229 on: December 17, 2019, 11:28:37 PM »
this was enjoyable but why the fuck did you talk about things they've already talked about ad nauseum the whole time

"do you like the star war" "no the last jedi had problems"

mike even says "I think I already talked about this before"

still appreciate the camaraderie and the shocking degree that mac is on the same wavelength as them
Uncle

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1230 on: December 18, 2019, 11:06:46 AM »
so Mike loves goofy schlock, and is also a strong proponent of "show don't tell," letting things breathe, he gets a migraine when movies are just a rollercoaster of cg explosions

based on impressions of rise of skywalker I think he's gonna hate the fact that so much of the runtime is literal spoken exposition to explain what's going on and why, and that the pacing is rushed and confused because it's 2 movies packed into one movie

I don't expect them to be real passionate about how bad it is, I expect it to be more like a disappointed parent

and more than anything else it sounds like there is no other trilogy that feels so strongly like a direct conversation between two filmmakers arguing back and forth, which I expect them to talk about

Jay will be disappointed that there isn't enough body horror centered around the emperor and his business
Uncle

Boredfrom

« Reply #1231 on: December 18, 2019, 12:52:38 PM »
I think they may get more visceral given how much they defended Force Awakens at first. I think they expected it to be a mess, but not to the point of Abrams just indulging himself.

A lot of problems of the sequel trilogy started with Force Awakens being so painfully similar to New Hope and JJ Abrams thinking on set pieces rather than in a coherent story. They joked about the Sith Trooper stuff but Captain Phasma was as ridiculous (chrome stormtrooper that is a total badass but not really), all the warning signs were there.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1232 on: December 18, 2019, 01:31:39 PM »
that's true...and there's also the fact that preceding star trek 2009 they were saying "give abrams star wars, he'll do a good job with that, but he doesn't get trek"

this is him proving them wrong
Uncle

Boredfrom

« Reply #1233 on: December 18, 2019, 01:44:44 PM »
I feel Abrams doesn’t get anything beyond nostalgia filter and his mystery box stuff has always being more about selling his shortcomings as a creative as some sort of new way to do storytelling (no shit that most of the time the mystery is better than the solution).

To me, Abrams is a more competent Zack Snyder (set pieces and hype over story and coherence) and mostly a idea man rather than a good creative.

Still blows my mind that they thought Kylo Ren was a compelling character or he coming as a pussy ass Edgelord was intentional. I was laughing my ass off when he killed Han Solo, was so lame.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1234 on: December 18, 2019, 05:09:58 PM »
that's true...and there's also the fact that preceding star trek 2009 they were saying "give abrams star wars, he'll do a good job with that, but he doesn't get trek"

I dunno, i think he could've worked, if they started from a solid arc for the trilogy, i'm not sure that was up to him.
I mean the movies work on a visual level, thjey are exciting and have a good rhythm, all the things the prequels lacked.
The problem is they clearly didn't plan out the trilogy as one coherent story, and so VII set up something, VIII shits on it, then IX shits on VIII.

It's honestly amazing to me, that a multi billion dollar company, working on a billion dollar franchise, didn't have that shit on LOCK, before even starting with the casting.

Boredfrom

« Reply #1235 on: December 18, 2019, 05:19:47 PM »
The OG didn’t start as a cohesive Trilogy, either. It was just not made by a bunch of hacks or yes men.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1236 on: December 18, 2019, 06:07:33 PM »
The OG didn’t start as a cohesive Trilogy, either. It was just not made by a bunch of hacks or yes men.
People like Kasdan came back for it. :yeshrug

It's pointless to play the guessing game with what went wrong behind the scenes, since we can't know, there probably was the usual clusterfuck of people trying to jam their opinion in, creatng this Frankenstein's monster of a trilogy.

What we can see, is what works and what doesn't, though.

The new characters worked as a jumping off point; they weren't just carbon copies of the old ones, they were charming and energetic enough, they could've easily carried the trilogy.
But then they didn't give them a clear arc, and they muddled the water with the constant call backs and obsessing, almost, with the old cast.

But when you start off with a 3rd Death Star, i guess it's a sign of things to come.

I'll add that turning Star Wars, from a universe of space adventures, into the endless saga about the "Skywalker lineage", was always a dumbass move; it killed its potential for creativity.

Boredfrom

« Reply #1237 on: December 18, 2019, 06:20:34 PM »
Rey is carbon copy of Luke/Anakin arcs, WTF you are talking about? Kylo Ren was made to be a straight Darth Vader that was so pathetic that people thought his whole point was being a parody. Finn good sidelined hard and Poe doesn’t do anything.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1238 on: December 18, 2019, 07:10:58 PM »
I tried to watch the rogan pod with mac  :yuck :yuck :yuck

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1239 on: December 18, 2019, 07:29:01 PM »
We do not provide a platform for that persona here.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #1240 on: December 18, 2019, 07:48:12 PM »

He's more suited to Wars than Trek, I'm not sure how that's debatable.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1241 on: December 18, 2019, 07:56:49 PM »
Rey is carbon copy of Luke/Anakin arcs, WTF you are talking about? Kylo Ren was made to be a straight Darth Vader that was so pathetic that people thought his whole point was being a parody. Finn good sidelined hard and Poe doesn’t do anything.
Luke & Anakin don't even have the same arc between themselves in the first place.

That they don't do anything with them, is my point, they followed the classic archetypes, but had potential to go in different directions.
Rey grew up completely alone for example, something to use to give her a different twist on how she'd approach the journey, Finn being an ex trooper, and Poe... ok, he didn't have much beyond Isaac's charisma.
I don't even mind Kylo being an angsty fanboy like you do, i think it's something that could've been interesting to explore.

Instead they didn't do anything with any of it, not in the first movie, not in the following one (and presumably not in the last one).

Boredfrom

« Reply #1242 on: December 18, 2019, 08:06:04 PM »
. Rey grew up completely alone for example, something to use to give her a different twist on how she'd approach the journey,

But they didn’t and she ends with the same arc as with Luke:

Hell, she gets Jedi training offscreen and her teacher disappears into the force.
[close]

.  I don't even mind Kylo being an angsty fanboy like you do, i think it's something that could've been interesting to explore.

But that is the point, everybody thought they were going to explore him and not playing it like a straight Vader when it was clear he WAS intended as a serious Vader clone. The fact that only now they realized “HOLY FUCK HE IS LAME AS FUCK AND WE JUST KILL SNORKEL. BRING THE SHEEV BACK” feels they played him like a serious threat until now. There was never a serious attempt to explore him a a pathetic parody because Abrams wrote him as “cool badass dude with a legion of force users knights at his side”.

. Instead they didn't do anything with any of it, not in the first movie, not in the following one (and presumably not in the last one).

And because this you only have Finn and OG cast  :trumps

Finn gets reduced as a comic relief in the second film, Solo dies like a punk, Luke becomes a Hobo and dies and Carrie Fisher dies before the last film.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1243 on: December 18, 2019, 08:52:18 PM »
You seem to be under the impression that i liked what they did with these characters? ???
I said they had the elements to make them interesting, by giving them clear arcs, but they didn't do anything with them.

Regarding Kylo though, i think the intention to make him somewhat goofy was there from/at the start, or they wouldn't have included the scene with the Stormtroopers comically walking away from one of his hissy fits.

But then the opening prank call of VIII, makes me question if they know what tonal concistency is in the first place.

Boredfrom

« Reply #1244 on: December 18, 2019, 09:02:42 PM »
No, I was saying this potential was never there or was just wishful thinking. Abrams totally wanted Rey to be another chosen one from a desert planet and Kylo Ren is just a Darth Vader clone. He is not that a smart of a writer to explore the difference of this characters with their OG counterparts  and Disney is not a creatively smart company enough to realize this in the first place

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1245 on: December 23, 2019, 08:08:20 AM »

paprikastaude

« Reply #1246 on: December 23, 2019, 08:13:50 AM »
took them long enough :gurl

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1247 on: December 23, 2019, 09:06:45 AM »
merry christmas!

paprikastaude

« Reply #1248 on: December 23, 2019, 11:43:10 AM »
passive progressive :dead

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1249 on: December 23, 2019, 01:24:51 PM »
passive progressive :dead

Did Mike (or was it Jay?) really coin that? Genius phrase
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1250 on: December 28, 2019, 07:49:17 AM »
"It's just a bunch of vines strung together" could've ended the review the right there  :lol
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #1251 on: December 28, 2019, 10:03:55 AM »

7:29

"So they say the new Picard show is not going to be about action and exploding planets-"

[newest trailer literally shows a planet blowing up in the background and 7o9 dual wielding fucking guns (I guess phasers are passe?)]

"I don't believe them."

Rich da gawd :bow

benjipwns

« Reply #1252 on: December 31, 2019, 08:39:13 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #1253 on: January 02, 2020, 06:23:46 PM »
Two people talk The Mandalorian (if I had to guess, probably Rich and Jay like The Boys discussion)

Best of the Worst Episode 87: Spotlight Episode

Rich Evans reacts to 2020 movie trailers

Best of the Worst Episode 88: Junka #2 (feat. Mac)
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1254 on: January 02, 2020, 06:25:45 PM »
mac
sucks
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #1255 on: January 02, 2020, 06:30:45 PM »
mac
sucks
[close]

This is the last one of the batch they shot with him a while ago apparently, so I don't think he'll be around for a while... who knows though!

Going back, Mac's first couple appearances are a bit much (and his Last Dragon re:View was a misfire), but his newer appearances are pretty good. The Hackers re:View with Jack was gold.

Tasty

« Reply #1256 on: January 04, 2020, 12:26:46 PM »

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #1257 on: January 06, 2020, 06:04:16 AM »
So these trailers led Rich to "drink" :(

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1258 on: January 06, 2020, 08:47:42 AM »
Fuck you, it’s January!
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #1259 on: January 06, 2020, 09:06:10 AM »
So these trailers led Rich to "drink" :(

Yeah first time I've seen Rich "drink" "alcohol" on-screen. And I've been paying close attention since that sketchy leaked 4chan post about RLM's backstory.

AVGN said he replaced his "booze" with a non-alcoholic substitute pretty early on in filming, so that's likely what happened here, but you never know...