Author Topic: Devil May Cry 5  (Read 26845 times)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
Re: Devil May Cry 5
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2019, 11:47:12 PM »
V's honestly not that bad, the only problem I have with him is the shadows not targeting what you want to target at times.

I finally finished the game earlier and got up to like mission 3-4 in Sons of Sparda. Having the DT and Buster move just opens up SO MUCH gameplay, OMG. Supplexing the green double-hatchet bastards after juggling in the air. :lawd

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2019, 01:39:35 AM »
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2019, 08:44:45 AM »
V is cool. Dante is like

you really won't remind me how this played?

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2019, 05:07:19 PM »
So end game story spoilers...

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Kinda bummed we didn't get more info on Nero's mother or how Vergil met her.  Dante even teased it with a "I'm sure that's an interesting story but it will have to wait" or something like that before fighting Vergil. Given Nero's DT, she probably wasn't just some normal human. I WANT MORE LORE!

Also this totally sets up a sequel. All that "end of the Sons of Sparda storyline" talk was bullshit.  :lol
[close]

thisismyusername

« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2019, 05:09:06 PM »
Technically not bullshit since

They can skip Dante/Vergil due to them being in the underworld
[close]

with DMC6-9 until they're ready to get back to that plotpoint.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2019, 05:20:42 PM »
I mean, it can give them an excuse to put their side of the story on hold if they want but
both brothers are alive and stronger than ever. Nothing ended about their story; it was more of a cliffhanger than anything. In a weird way, this ended kind of like DMC2  :lol...Dante "trapped" in the underworld, only this time Vergil is with him.

I wouldn't be against a Nero-focused game but they left the DMC5 off in a strange place plot-wise.
[close]

thisismyusername

« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2019, 08:51:48 PM »
There's no plans for DLC, but
Vergil, Lady and Trish
[close]

are so fucking obvious that Capcom would be leaving money on the table if they didn't SE this.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2019, 09:10:53 PM »
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2019, 10:51:31 PM »
I thought twitter had some kind of Vergil teaser.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2019, 08:34:45 PM »
I ended up liking this way more than I thought I would. Thought it was gonna have ball pushing dice rolling platform puzzle bullshit like DMC4 but it was surprisingly lean.

I'm playing SoS now- V is starting to bug me a bit but I think it might just be because i was tired when playing yesterday. On DH he was a SSS machine but now I'm walking out with Cs  ???

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2019, 09:08:39 AM »

:lol
ど助平

Let's Cyber

« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2019, 03:35:38 PM »
I'm doing an SoS run and kinda wish it was the base difficulty but ah well, had to get the new kids feet wet I guess.
You weren't kidding. SoS is sooo much better than DH. The new enemy placements and late game enemies in early game areas are keeping it fresh too.

This game is so damn good. We finally have a proper successor to DMC3, brehs.

:rejoice

« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2019, 03:37:03 PM »
How long is this for someone who is decent to good at action games (I've beaten all previous DMC games, Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden titles no problem) and doesn't obsess over 100% completion?

Wondering if it's worth a Redbox rental or just wait for a price drop.
野球

Let's Cyber

« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2019, 03:40:21 PM »
I think Capcom mentioned 12-15 hours for the campaign but you could do it in a little under that if you're not worried about secret missions and optional locations.

paprikastaude

« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2019, 03:49:15 PM »
kind of a lame finale, it just ends. both gameplay-wise and story-wise.

and spending so much time on the narrative only to repeat vergil-did-it also feels like making a mystery out of bowser capturing the princess. should've just been an actual new demon
[close]

I wanted to do on NG+ on the same difficulty again for practice, but it goes to Sons of Sparda automatically?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 03:57:38 PM by Spieler1 »

thisismyusername

« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2019, 04:27:29 PM »
but it goes to Sons of Sparda automatically?

No it doesn't. Ok, it kinda does. Just back out to "main menu" and then choose "mission" to choose your difficulty.

remy

« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2019, 09:00:42 PM »
The wording for Main Menu is so weird. I didn't realise they meant the classic DMC mission menu until like mission 8 on SoS. I thought it was going to take me back to the title screen.

thisismyusername

« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2019, 12:35:00 AM »
Wratttttth, where are you? I want to talk DMC1 with you.

Freyj

« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2019, 11:30:06 AM »
Really wish NG+ just let you pick whoever you wanted 100% of the time. Keep the cutscenes the same idc.

thisismyusername

« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2019, 04:44:21 PM »
Can we talk about how clunky DMC1 is after playing DMC5? Because it is. :doge

I'm replaying it on the HD Collection and man, it's a night and day difference in terms of combat and camera for the series with 3.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #140 on: March 14, 2019, 08:10:43 PM »
https://gematsu.com/2019/03/devil-may-cry-5-adds-bloody-palace-mode-on-april-1

Devil May Cry 5 will add “Bloody Palace Mode” as a free update on April 1, Capcom announced.

Here is an overview of the mode, via Capcom:

Bloody Palace is a survival mode that pits you against hordes of increasingly difficult enemies and bosses whilst racing against the ticking timer. Play as Dante, Nero or V in Bloody Palace Mode through multiple levels of enemies and truly test your SSStylish skills.
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2019, 11:15:46 AM »
you only need to play DMC1 for being the Resident Evil spinoff that it is.

thisismyusername

« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2019, 04:11:26 PM »
Gimmie that Discord, bb.

remy

« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2019, 09:13:08 PM »
It still works as an action/adventure game IMO.
100% It's a fun game for what it is, and the combat system, while limited compared to dmc of today is fun for what it is. like the enemy design and how they all have a gimmick or weakness to beat them

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2019, 11:44:19 PM »
you only need to play DMC1 for being the Resident Evil spinoff that it is.

You mean the 3D castlevania we need.

thisismyusername

« Reply #145 on: March 16, 2019, 12:58:37 AM »
DMC1's missions are mercifully short, but the camera. Good lord. :doge

I still say DMC3 is when the series finally found it's "voice" and (IMO) finally got on the level of Ninja Gaiden.

:bow Itsuno :bow2

kingv

« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2019, 01:24:38 AM »
I feel like the timing in DMC V makes it and Bayonetta feel more similar than they ever did before.

When I first played DMC 3, it kind of threw me for a loop because the game played deceptively different to Bayonetta, particularly with the way dodging works.

But DMC V seems more like the actual side dodge works better than just the straight jump like in DMC 3.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2019, 07:48:09 AM »
What

kingv

« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2019, 12:04:11 PM »
I finally got into the Dante missions. He’s so much fun to play.

So smooth.

I really like Nero too, but sort of dread playing V. He’s not bad, just worse than the others.

kingv

« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2019, 12:47:10 PM »

Best style if you don’t want to be a little bitch.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2019, 03:55:59 PM »
ど助平

Rman

« Reply #151 on: March 17, 2019, 01:08:34 PM »
So this game is good, but I'm not getting best charaction action of all time talk here.  It's very safe. It's a better version of DMC4. The combat mechanics are fun, but the enemies are brain dead combo fodder.

But DMC is mostly a combo styling game.  The level design is non-existent, the environments repetitive, and there is a serious lack of bosses, which is where the game shines. 

The Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden (Xbox 1 and 360 only) games are much better packages.  I do like the game, but the series doesn't really do anything new here.

Obviously, if you love that combo heavy mechanics, which many absolutely love, I get the appeal.  It's a deep well of experimentation here.  I just hoped they improved the campaign, which has been a weakness with this series.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 01:17:50 PM by Rman »

paprikastaude

« Reply #152 on: March 17, 2019, 02:12:19 PM »
So this game is good, but I'm not getting best charaction action of all time talk here.  It's very safe. It's a better version of DMC4. The combat mechanics are fun, but the enemies are brain dead combo fodder.

But DMC is mostly a combo styling game.  The level design is non-existent, the environments repetitive, and there is a serious lack of bosses, which is where the game shines. 

The Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden (Xbox 1 and 360 only) games are much better packages.  I do like the game, but the series doesn't really do anything new here.

Obviously, if you love that combo heavy mechanics, which many absolutely love, I get the appeal.  It's a deep well of experimentation here.  I just hoped they improved the campaign, which has been a weakness with this series.

:idont
It's a very good game, but more like a good new entry like Megaman 11. Only problem is that Resident Evil and Monster Hunter took more mindblowing steps forward in comparison, which probably isn't something I should've expected from every game.

kingv

« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2019, 02:23:31 PM »
What are those movesets for lady from?

It almost makes me think they intend to put her into the game at some point.

I think DMC V is the current top of the heap in terms of character action games. Nero and Dante are both a blast to play and have more complexity than they have ever had before while still being fairly accessible.

Also they’ve tuned the timing on some moves to make them still challenging but less punishing.

I play Big Dick Energy style usually, and notice that the enemies are actually not very aggressive on the base difficulty, but I expect this is because I’m playing on the base (the one for veteran players) difficulty. Like I’m waiting to block some shit with royal guard and notice that there if you don’t move mostly the enemies just circle you.

However, I strongly suspect that is because of the difficulty setting based on previous games.

Rman

« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2019, 03:54:09 PM »
Can we talk about how clunky DMC1 is after playing DMC5? Because it is. :doge

I'm replaying it on the HD Collection and man, it's a night and day difference in terms of combat and camera for the series with 3.
Game is close to 20 years old bro.

Rman

« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2019, 06:52:59 PM »

DH isn't the best difficulty to judge the game which is why I hoped SoS was available from the start. I recommend you start that before going off the braindead combo fodder enemeis (the lower level enemies are always the combo fodder).

The game absolutely pushes the genre forward in combat, the main point of which the genre is looked upon. Delve a bit deeper into it and you'll see how it demolishes the competition in that aspect.

As far as it being safe, I don't particularly agree with reinventions always being necessary, let alone always as improvements. This is a no fluff DMC game with the best combat ever implemented and it's all it should have been.

Ninja Gaiden is ultimately going for an extremely different approach in the same extreme. It's a lot more about efficiency than styling on opponents, so i can understand preferring that. Bayo on the other hand? As much as i love it it's filled to the brim with instant death QTE's out of nowhere which bog it down immensely. Bayo 2 is the most mindless of the bunch as it relies too much on spamming for me to ever consider it of the top echelon.

DMC1 and 3 have among the best campaigns in the sub genre. I do wish they would have expanded on the puzzle and platforming elements instead of doing away with them entirely, but I can see that after all the complaints they chose to get rid of the fluff. It's best to think of it like an old Shinobi or classicvania game, you go through rooms full of hordes of enemies till you get to the boss. I wouldn't call the level design here bad so much as straight forward.

I haven't played DMC1, but I agree with DMC3. It's top 3 for me.  Bayo just feels more fun with the wicked weaves and witch time stuff.  I do love Dante when he uses fist weapons. 

I will explore DMC5 more and it may beat DMC3.  NGB's level design is just too strong and Bayo has more fun combat, while I do agree that DMC tops the genre in combat mechanics depth. But I need a more cohesive package.  DMC feels too much like enemy encounter, after light traversal, with enemy encounter, then boss.  I need more here. 

So far it's NGB>Bayo 1>DMC3SE

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2019, 09:27:45 PM »
Bayo 1 and 2 are still my favorites, followed by DMC1.  Am sure DMC5 will easily replace 1, but I may not go back to it just yet- thinking I should finally play through DMC3 first now.
ど助平

Rman

« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2019, 10:04:50 PM »
Bayo 1 and 2 are still my favorites, followed by DMC1.  Am sure DMC5 will easily replace 1, but I may not go back to it just yet- thinking I should finally play through DMC3 first now.
My big issue with DMC3/4/5 is that the combat is so deep in these games that they might as well just be about the Bloody Palace primarily.  The campaign in these games always feel like a tutorial for that. 

Itsuno did better this time around. He avoids running the same level again and you avoid fighting the bosses 3x like DMC4. Still, I need better levels.

El Babua

« Reply #158 on: March 18, 2019, 12:22:33 AM »
Falling down a hole for 4 missions straight is probably this game's nadir when it comes to level design.

But otherwise, I don't mind it - a few more missions like 12 would have been nice though.

paprikastaude

« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2019, 03:51:16 AM »
What's 12 - the one with the fountains?

Rman

« Reply #160 on: March 18, 2019, 07:07:21 AM »
Wraith, you're right about SoS. The game opens more. Better encounters and unnerfed Nero.

thisismyusername

« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2019, 06:20:55 PM »
DMC3 is still good even like 15-18 years later. :lawd

:bow Itsuno. :bow2

paprikastaude

« Reply #162 on: March 22, 2019, 11:03:15 AM »
I forgot I wanted to replay 3 before 5. :goty

Rahxephon91

« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2019, 02:34:42 AM »
Well it kind of sucks that they took away you regular sword for Dante and make you use this Devil Sword that I don't like.

Also playing as V is not fun.

I don't know, game is ok. Not liking it as much as I wanted to.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2019, 09:52:05 AM »
Well it kind of sucks that they took away you regular sword for Dante and make you use this Devil Sword that I don't like.
Not really a spoiler but i'll do it anyway...
You can go switch back to Rebellion later on in the customization screen.

Devil Sword Dante is fucking awesome tho and has more moves.
[close]

Rman

« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2019, 10:32:59 AM »

Also playing as V is not fun.

I don't know, game is ok. Not liking it as much as I wanted to.
But it's the same thing lol. It just looks different and has more moves.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2019, 07:38:42 PM »
It is'nt the same thing. Swordmaster's O attacks are diffrent with the Dante sword. You can do them more with R1+Forward I think, but it's easier with the regular sword, which is what I had gotten use to.

Anyway, I finished it today. Pretty good game. I'd say better than 4 and maybe 3. I really feel they went all out. Even the story was rather fun. The game was oozing personality and Nero and Dante were really fun to play. V less so....

I'd say 9/10.

remy

« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2019, 09:03:51 PM »
Only thing I miss with DSD is having prop on Circle/B for EZ parry

thisismyusername

kingv

« Reply #169 on: March 30, 2019, 12:08:51 PM »
It is'nt the same thing. Swordmaster's O attacks are diffrent with the Dante sword. You can do them more with R1+Forward I think, but it's easier with the regular sword, which is what I had gotten use to.

Anyway, I finished it today. Pretty good game. I'd say better than 4 and maybe 3. I really feel they went all out. Even the story was rather fun. The game was oozing personality and Nero and Dante were really fun to play. V less so....

I'd say 9/10.

When you do new game+ I’m pretty sure you can pick the sword Dante has.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #170 on: September 14, 2019, 04:04:20 PM »
That was a fun game

BANG BANG BANG
PULL MY DEVIL TRIGGER
BANG BANG BANG
PULL MY DEVIL TRIGGER
BANG BANG BANG
PULL MY DEVIL TRIGGER
BANG BANG BANG
PULL MY DEVIL TRIGGER
BANG BANG BANG
PULL MY DEVIL TRIGGER

:rimshot

Tasty

« Reply #171 on: September 14, 2019, 05:44:45 PM »

This video is blessed.

"If you genuinely think Capcom should have made Devil May Cry 5, then you're pretty much in the same boat as the people who want the Wachowski brothers to make another Matrix film." :doge

:trumps

Also, whenever this was said, I'm pretty sure it was after Lana transitioned. :bolo

thisismyusername

« Reply #172 on: September 14, 2019, 06:24:05 PM »
I'm sorry about the shitty port jobs to switch, dawg :'(

Maybe he should turn into a real boy™ and get a real console™.

Tasty

« Reply #173 on: September 14, 2019, 07:24:42 PM »
Nero :uguu

Vergil :gladbron

Dante :rash

Tasty

« Reply #174 on: September 14, 2019, 07:27:06 PM »
I love how Andy-kun is the biggest DMC stan to have yet to play them  :lol :heartbeat

I'm sorry about the shitty port jobs to switch, dawg :'(

I'm the same with MGS honestly. :trumps And MH and RE before I eventually played them.

I'll get around to the series in my own time. 8)

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #175 on: September 14, 2019, 08:16:04 PM »
nero is for the most part better in 5 than 4

Tasty

« Reply #176 on: September 14, 2019, 09:16:21 PM »
I also kicked $100 to Shanmoo 3 :dead

Tasty

« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2019, 09:16:57 PM »
Ah so you're a fan of "storied videogame franchises" of that era I take it?

Honestly dawg maybe look into getting a PS2 on the cheap or something, there's a lot there you would love.

I mean so many of them have had HDmakes I'd rather play those, for the most part, or the PC ports which have tons of mods.

Tasty

« Reply #178 on: September 14, 2019, 09:18:19 PM »
Also, even I was annoyed with how douchebaggy some of the Ninja Theory guys were back in the day, and I love a happy ending so I enjoyed seeing DMC5 finally announced. That video earlier really shows how much this matters to the fans, and I always appreciate seeing that. :uguu

paprikastaude

« Reply #179 on: September 14, 2019, 09:59:18 PM »
Ah so you're a fan of "storied videogame franchises" of that era I take it?

Honestly dawg maybe look into getting a PS2 on the cheap or something, there's a lot there you would love.

I mean so many of them have had HDmakes I'd rather play those, for the most part, or the PC ports which have tons of mods.

second best Mikami game Godhand will never be remastered.