Author Topic: Octopath Traveler Thread of HD SPRITES and old school rpg goodness  (Read 7933 times)

agrajag

Re: Octopath Traveler Thread of HD SPRITES and old school rpg goodness
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2018, 10:44:00 AM »
Yeah, you're proving my point bark. Pretty colors but jarring and washed out like an n64 game.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2018, 12:05:20 PM »
I'm currently working my way through the prologue chapters [started with H'aanit, then moved clockwise around the northern half of the map]. Got a full party of four so far and I'll probably get the other four before I start doing chapter 2 stuff.
dog

Freyj

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2018, 12:44:33 PM »
So you want to play all the prologues? I haven’t really played / looked into this much since the initial demo.

The first few seconds of the battle music sounding like Stage of Death from Xenogears is evoking some feels.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2018, 03:54:52 PM »
I'm currently working my way through the prologue chapters [started with H'aanit, then moved clockwise around the northern half of the map]. Got a full party of four so far and I'll probably get the other four before I start doing chapter 2 stuff.

You didn't minmax the demo? DOG PLZ

:jeanluc
yar

Freyj

« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2018, 04:38:09 PM »
Making your way around the prologues is kind of a bad introduction but this is a JRPG.

:yeshrug

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2018, 07:11:56 PM »

You didn't minmax the demo? DOG PLZ

:jeanluc

I only played through one of the prologues in the demo, didn't want to really get into it only to have to put it away for a few weeks.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2018, 09:02:02 PM »
Ophilia
Cyrus
Therion
Olberic
Primrose
Alfyn
Tressa
H'aanit

:ohhh
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2018, 09:07:07 PM »
Ophilia
Cyrus
Therion
Olberic
Primrose
Alfyn
Tressa
H'aanit

:ohhh

yar

kingv

« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2018, 10:11:48 PM »
Arm
Leg
Leg
Arm
Head

kingv

« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2018, 01:15:04 AM »
Sounds like it basically sold out in Japan. Squenix is apologizing for its lack of availability.

agrajag

« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2018, 01:32:54 AM »
numero uno on eshop

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2018, 01:37:59 PM »
Jason Schrieer thinks this game is dogshit. Should I get a refund?
fat

Freyj

« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2018, 01:47:55 PM »
Iono about this one.

The presentation and music is top notch but it’s hitting pretty much everything I hate about modern JRPGs.

• Excessively simplistic fields and dungeons.
  • Flowery and verbose dialogue that talks in circles forever (Persona 5 almost drove me insane here).
  • Scenarios chock full of cliches and tropes you’ve seen a million times.
  • The only combat that isn’t braindead simple is the occasional boss.

Freyj

« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2018, 01:51:09 PM »
Jason Schrieer thinks this game is dogshit. Should I get a refund?

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1017399653631971329

Literally told a friend this exact thing yesterday.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2018, 02:41:56 PM »
Yeah but Jason Schreir is a massive tool.  Anonymous forum posters hold more weight on opinions than he does.

"It's crushing to have to share this."  No it isn't, you fucking live for stirring the pot.

Freyj

« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2018, 03:04:07 PM »
I don’t really care all I know is what he has to say about the game lines up with my experience so far.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2018, 03:32:05 PM »
That's too bad, sucks when looking forward to a game you play it and find that it doesn't gel with you.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2018, 04:28:06 PM »
Did all the prologues but I'm still underleveled for chapter 2 of my main [H'aanit], dunno if I want to do a little grinding/exploring or go on to one of the lower-level chapter 2s instead.
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2018, 08:50:51 PM »
I'd recommend grinding in a lv 15 side area/dungeon in the ch 1 areas. If you have any M soul stones and run into a Cait, toss that fucker and you'll go up 2-3 levels
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2018, 10:08:40 PM »
High-level battles are so freaking hard if you don't have Ophilia [the healer] in your party. I've also been feeling it not having Cyrus in my party; automatically unlocking one weakness for each enemy at the start of a battle is such a huge advantage, not to mention the elemental spells that hit every enemy [and most enemies have at least one elemental weakness]. Some party combination just don't work early on, but unlocking second jobs is helping in that regard. So far I've only found two, though; need to get some more for more party flexibility.
dog

bluemax

« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2018, 12:04:17 AM »
The visual stuff is kinda cool, but I hate how some areas have you navigating blindly because a tree blocks your entire fucking screen. Also I realized that dashing increases encounter rate :(
NO

Bulleta©™®

• is probably playing some game
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2018, 06:21:46 AM »
I've heard this game compared to the Romancing Saga games, but I didn't get far in the remake of RS1.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2018, 08:03:49 PM »
You can steal (3% chance) a staff in Alfyn's Ch 2 town that has +300 elemental attack and at least for now kinda trivializes the game :doge
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2018, 01:56:40 AM »
First chapter 2 I did was Primrose, fought against the boss for 45 minutes only to die right near the end of the battle for a really stupid reason. It made me so mad that I went a grinded levels for a couple hours [also mixed up my party a bit] and blew the boss away. Now I'm moving on to the other chapter 2s and it's pretty clear that I'm quite a bit over-leveled now. :lol
dog

bluemax

« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2018, 03:04:25 AM »
My first wipe was the first boss I faced with 4 party members. I had one member below recommended level and now status healing items.

Going up a few levels and getting a couple of better pieces of equipment helped. I still feel like the average fight takes too long and that the amount of money you earn is awful.
NO

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2018, 01:16:24 PM »
Have you guys gotten all of the secondary job shrines yet? Once you unlock all the secondary jobs the game becomes much easier.

I'm done with 3 Chapter 3's (Alfyn, Olberic, Tressa) at about 23 hours in and I've kept everyone rotating pretty well so everyone is about at the level they need to be. Of course I went ham on the demo and everyone was about lv 20 after those 3 hours, so, uh. Yeah. (I also have save-scummed stealing opportunities for the really powerful items)

I think the ideal party make-up is probably Cyrus with secondary either Merchant, Dancer, or Cleric, and either Primrose or Ophilia with secondary job of Scholar. Having two people spamming the multi-hit scholar elemental spells is OP, and you can unlock passive skills in Merchant and Dancer that halve the SP cost of everything and refund SP each turn respectively. In a vacuum the next best party members are Haanit and Olberic with probably Warrior and Apothecary secondary jobs, respectively, but really as you're going through each chapter you can sub in whoever needs leveling along with the character whose chapter it is as long as you make sure you've got access to stuff like a good range of weapons on those two characters to help break shit. Warrior and Hunter are good classes because they have weapon based attacks that can hit multiple enemies.

The hardest boss fight I've had so far is Alfyn's Ch 3 boss.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dude gets two attacks per turn and rotates his weaknesses between 3 different sets of weaknesses each time you break him. He also has an attack that hits the whole party that he uses regularly. Had to use multiple olives to revive people, probably didn't help that Cyrus and Ophilia were geared to be glass cannons of offense with very few concessions made to physical defense. :doge
[close]

Game continues to own. Haven't really even done any side quests or exploring too much.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2018, 11:44:40 AM »
...Ophilia's Ch 4 boss fights dirty

:fbm
yar

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2018, 11:13:50 PM »
Took down Ophilia's Ch 4 boss much easier this time.

I also beat 2 of the 4 secret extra job bosses

The Starseer and Sorcerer are heavily susceptible to cheese due to the fact that they only use magical attacks. If in your party you have a combo of cleric and dancer on different characters (but preferably across 3- I had Primrose as Dancer/Cleric, Cyrus as Scholar/Dancer, and Ophilia as Cleric/Scholar) you can set it up to where you've used both the divine Dancer AND Cleric skills on a cleric, then cast reflect. The divine dancer skill will apply it to everyone, the divine cleric skill will make you cast it twice. Fully boosted, you'll shit out 8 reflect shields on everyone. Both bosses will cast spells that hit everyone 3 times- that will burn 3 shields off everyone and reflect back 12 times, nuking themselves. You can just use the divine dancer skill and get 4 reflect shields, but ehhhhh. Might as well go ham.

Now Cyrus is a machine gunning death machine that can hit a weakness 3 times per turn.
[close]
yar

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2018, 08:52:58 AM »
So is there an overall theme to the game, or anything to tie it all together? So far I'm just going around in a circle grabbing all the characters and doing their stories.

Then they're like "oh you want to join!? cool!" and then thats it

Feels very aimless. No direction

I would even accept "wow what a coincidence, this bad guy i'm chasing is totally related to your story SOMEHOW!"
fat

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2018, 09:54:51 AM »
The real story is the journey you go on along the way, demi
yar

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2018, 12:30:46 PM »
Thats not gonna fly unfortunately - game needs more power of friendship
fat

kingv

« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2018, 12:42:37 PM »
I can’t figure out if I should want to play this or not.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2018, 02:22:14 PM »
I can’t figure out if I should want to play this or not.

I mean, if you like old 16-32 bit era jrpgs then yes, you should. I'm about 40 hours in and 3/8 of the way done with everyone's final chapters, not counting any endgame shit I decide to do. (I've also unlocked all 4 secret jobs by beating some optional bosses.)

Things some people dislike about the game, some of which I recognize as valid criticisms but haven't really detracted from my enjoyment:

-Chapter 1 is very disjointed. It's basically 8 intros over and over again.
-There's not a lot of interaction with your party members. There's some optional 1 on 1 (and later 3 member in chapter 4) banter sessions you can listen to but it's all very light, fluffy stuff.
-OH NOES RANDOM ENCOUNTERS

Having said that:

1. You can speedrun through all of everyone's Chapter 1's in like an hour if you don't give a shit about the stories
2. Stories in games are dumb, who cares, your characters are collections of numbers and abilities, quit being an asshole
3. Very early on in the game you'll get a skill that will halve (at least) the random encounter rate

If you PERSIST in caring about stories in your weeb vidya, I will say that at the very least everyone's INDIVIDUAL stories are well done. There's definable arcs throughout the chapters, good characterization, etc etc. There does not seem to be a grand overarcing plot where it's all interconnected, tho, so if you want that go watch anime and play with yourself.

Things this game does well:
-old fashioned turn based combat
-job system
-pretty sprites
-solid 40+ hours of gameplay

If that's not enough for you, this game ain't for you. No worries, there's plenty of games, play something you know you'll like. (demi should just shut up, he plays everything and has no taste)

It's probably a solid B, 8/10, 80% ish kinda game. But it does something that doesn't get done much anymore.

:yeshrug
yar

archie4208

« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2018, 02:30:26 PM »
Completed two stories so far.  Ophelia's went from meh to awesome and Primrose went the exact other way.  :lol

The game has its flaws, but it does a good job at what it sets out to do.  :yeshrug

agrajag

« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2018, 02:36:11 PM »
I think the whole 8 separate stories was a flawed concept from the start, and somewhere along the development cycle they realized that.

archie4208

« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2018, 02:42:49 PM »
You could possibly tie all 8 stories together, but it probably is a logistical nightmare as there would likely be hundreds of variables to account for in terms of party composition and individual story progress.  I doubt this game has near the budget for that.  I went in expecting 8 short stories and I'm satisfied with that.

bluemax

« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2018, 04:53:48 AM »
Cheese the game with this broken-ass NPC:

https://kotaku.com/octopath-travelers-best-npc-is-this-reclusive-old-man-1827803634

6% recruitment rate at my current levels. I ain't about to save scum that much.
NO

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2018, 10:05:08 AM »

https://kotaku.com/octopath-travelers-best-npc-is-this-reclusive-old-man-1827803634

I've save scummed all the good 3% steal equipment, I'm really starting to doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion breh
yar

bluemax

« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2018, 11:42:00 PM »

I've save scummed all the good 3% steal equipment, I'm really starting to doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion breh

I dunno, I find 80% steals obnoxious enough, how many attempts on average is a 3%? I think I left everything below 55% unstolen in all the towns I've been to so far.
NO

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2018, 01:00:21 AM »
It's not bad if you leave any 3% or whatever for the last thing you want to steal and have 5 chances. Then, just save, burn them all, reload if unsuccessful.
yar

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2018, 10:53:09 PM »
This is probably my biggest disappointment of 2018. Unfortunate, back to Vita I guess
fat

Himu

« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2018, 10:59:15 PM »
This looks surprisingly good. Looks like a mix of Romancing SaGa and Tactics Ogre.

Looks like the  experimental type of jrpg the genre stopped doing until last generation.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2018, 11:00:22 PM »
Hilarious seeing Snore have a Switch but not surprised. Don’t have a Switch yet.

Hmm. Seems some of you are disappointed? Not gonna lie. I have no expectations here. Acquire doesn’t exactly have the pedigree nor name tied to Jrpgs. I think acquire and I think Tenchu. So I have zero expectations and I’m interested based on the premise. If it’s a c game that’s fine. And it isn’t like every jrpg people hype these days is some flawed mess of a game (persona 5, setsuna, bravely, ff15;etc) so :idont Jrpg fans have low standards these days so their hype should always be taken with the tiniest grain of salt. Always.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 11:21:14 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2018, 11:57:04 PM »
All those games are better than this though
fat

Himu

« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2018, 12:59:29 AM »
Really? :heh

Like I said. Will give it a chance when I get a Switch tho.

Can’t remember the last time I played a jrpg that was above  C tier. Old jrpgs don’t count. Probably SMT4.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 01:05:39 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2018, 02:58:50 AM »
You're not gonna like it cause you don't like anything anymore. Trust me, I'm much the same way so I know. I bought a switch as soon as they announced Fire Emblem Three Houses at E3.

Endgame spoilers:
There *IS* an overarcing connection to all the traveler's tales: a "true evil" baddie working to revive a fallen god, blah blah blah here have some more jrpg tropes thrown in, fight a gauntlet of 8 bosses from chapters 3 & 4, then have a 2 stage final boss fight where you have to use all 8 travelers in 2 separate parties,
 oh also there's no save point in the final dungeon so when you get to the final boss's second stage and he destroys you, plz start over again and fight all 8 bosses again you scrub
[close]
yar

archnemesis

« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2018, 03:25:50 AM »
I’m only halfway through the second chapters, but so far I like it a lot more than the other three JRPGs I played on Switch (I am Setsuna, Lost Sphear, Xenoblade Chronicles 2).

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2018, 07:17:14 AM »
I read anout that end spoiler too. Nah I'm good on that
fat

bluemax

« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2018, 11:18:42 PM »
It seems like maybe the game wants you to find the sub jobs before doing anyone's chapter 2 stories? At least given the jump in recommended levels vs where I was after completing all of Chapter 1s. I think most of my characters outside my main were level 12-15 and the lowest recommended chapter level was 21. Did a bunch of grinding and save scumming to go get the 8 sub jobs and even still most of my characters are sub 20 still. I finished Primrose's chapter 2.

So far Primrose's chapters have had the "best" lines.

"Go pleasure yourself master!"

"Primrose, I am a whore!"
[close]

I feel like this game has a lot of weird balance issues, not just in combat.
NO

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2018, 11:58:08 PM »
There's definitely a gap between the end of everyone's Ch 1 and beginning of Ch 2, and it seems to be the only part where you really need to spend time grinding (unless you're going to tackle optional end game content) which is weird. As far as the secondary job shrines go, I ran around and ran from all the fights and unlocked everyone's Ch 2 towns and the shrines. I was appropriately leveled because I spent about half the demo grinding.
yar

archnemesis

« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2018, 09:50:03 AM »
I beat the second chapters without grinding by keeping my three strongest characters in the party and rotating the fourth spot. The first boss was really tough. I had to upgrade most of my gear and use a silly amount of mana potions. The second boss was also quite challenging. Then the spike flattened out. I expect another similar spike when I reach chapter 3.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2018, 02:28:26 PM »
I haven't really had to grind much at all following the jump from the last prologue to the first chapter 2, just a little bit here and there because certain characters were a little under-leveled. It's fairly easy to get over-leveled, too.
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2018, 03:58:56 PM »
Also: once you complete everyone's chapter 4, you get the option to take your first character out of the main party and go with any 4 you like.

Probably gonna try to beat the super secret ultra final mega last boss again tonight.
yar

PogiJones

« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2018, 07:00:11 AM »
Geez, I knew there was a secret last boss, but I didn't spoil myself on anything about him. So I was... unprepared.

I figured if I just put together my strongest party, I'd be able to handle it.

Needless to say, the second party that I'd stripped off all the best equipment to feed my main party did not fare well naked.

bluemax

« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2018, 02:52:33 AM »
Got waxed by a chapter 2 boss, so I wandered the world doing the side dungeons and robbing towns. Characters except main went from low 20s to mid 20s and I bought some chapter 3 tier weapons which made the previously tough boss much easier. Sadly I've been swamped by work and I haven't done any more of this.
NO

Rahxephon91

« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2018, 03:23:08 AM »
Hilarious seeing Snore have a Switch but not surprised. Don’t have a Switch yet.

Hmm. Seems some of you are disappointed? Not gonna lie. I have no expectations here. Acquire doesn’t exactly have the pedigree nor name tied to Jrpgs. I think acquire and I think Tenchu. So I have zero expectations and I’m interested based on the premise. If it’s a c game that’s fine. And it isn’t like every jrpg people hype these days is some flawed mess of a game (persona 5, setsuna, bravely, ff15;etc) so :idont Jrpg fans have low standards these days so their hype should always be taken with the tiniest grain of salt. Always.
Don't really agree with this. To say they are messes of games and that JRPG fans have low standards is kinda shitty. Especially since JRPGS have been pretty good this gen. It's nothing like the PS3 gen were Tales and lower crap like whatever Idea Factory makes was given extra attention because of the lack of good jrpgs. Hell, even Tales itself is a bit better. Persona 5 is a great game, not a mess. FFXV is not a mess, it's a pretty well realized and unique JRPG. You say ect, but things like Tales of Beseria, NNK2, DQ11, Nier, and so on aren't bad at all. JRPGS have been pretty good.

That said, I've found Octopath kind of boring. Unlike Persona 5 were the repetitive structure has a point and ties into you setting up a routine to go about your day. Octopath is just straight up a repetitive drag.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 03:28:34 AM by Rahxephon91 »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #117 on: October 18, 2018, 09:43:01 PM »
Yeah so just about finished, have a few more side quests to do then it's off to grind for the TRUE FINAL BATTLE.

Overall, I thought it was pretty great, even if the dungeon design could use a bit more variety (like puzzles, different environmental hazards, scripted events, etc), and the structure got to be repetitive after a while.

My favorite thing about the game, apart from the amazing visuals and pleasant music, was how it really felt like an RPG made specifically those who grew up with the NES and SNES games, and are now much older with much less time to play a game. Most of the chapters took less than 2 hours, which made it seem like the type of game best played in short bursts, befitting a busier lifestyle. There wasn't much in the way of animu type hijinks here (except maybeeee Tressa's personality), mostly the stories are revenge driven, or more personal type quests.

Favorite character in battle was Alfyn after being made Warmaster. Best story I thought was Alfyn, worst was Tressa.
Come on... "the REAL treasure was your travels along the way!" is the dumbest shit ever, plus the character was pretty useless in combat and had an annoying VA
[close]
^_^