Author Topic: Octopath Traveler Thread of HD SPRITES and old school rpg goodness  (Read 7990 times)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Ayyyyyyy, this shit's comin out in less than two weeks. If you have a Switch (and I think you get issued one with forum membership) then you should get it. If you've been living under a rock it's a Squeenix game in olde timey style but with pretty gorgeous graphics done by some (all?) of the people that worked on the Bravely games.

There's a demo on the eshop, progress carries over once you get the full game. I'm going to try to play through as many of the characters as I can, right now I'm right at an hour and 20 minutes and have gone: Ophilia to Cyrus to Tressa and we just got to Olberic. I would start with either Ophilia or Cyrus as once you get Cyrus to his second skill his first passive unlock will reduce your random encounter rate and you can run around without getting in as many battles, which will let you get further in the demo. GOTTA COLLECT EM ALL.

SERIOUSLY BUY THIS GAME THE BATTLE SYSTEM IS DOPE, THE PRESENTATION IS GREAT, EVEN THE MUSIC IS GOOD YOU PIECE OF SHIT JUST DO IT

yar

bluemax

Re: Octopath Traveler Thread of HD SPRITES and old school rpg goodness
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 01:11:44 AM »
I started the Hunter scenario in the demo the other night. Everyone talked funny and enemies take a lot of damage to kill and hit kinda hard.
NO

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 01:52:56 AM »
I started the Hunter scenario in the demo the other night. Everyone talked funny and enemies take a lot of damage to kill and hit kinda hard.

You gotta be sure you're hitting enemies with attacks they're weak to, breaking them, then boosting for shit tons of damage.
yar

Corporal

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 02:52:20 AM »
Can't wait. It's one of like five games I have ever preordered (because preordering is stupid). The locked file is sitting on my switch, tempting me. I kinda don't even want to start the second demo because the first demo was good enough and I know I'm just gonna get pissed when I hit the three hour limit.
!list

Fifstar

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 04:28:58 AM »
Played the first demo and liked it. Will get the full game when it's out.

Cool Chars and excellent Music. I'm not completly sold on the art style though. I like the idea of 16 Bit style mixed with the Diorama presentation, but I feel they didn't quite pull it off. I think the game sprites should be in a "higher" resolution" and some of the modern effects could be a bit reduced. Probably too expensive and it stills Looks interesting, just not as good as it could.
Gulp

archnemesis

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 06:57:12 AM »
I enjoyed both demos and I'm getting this day one. I doubt I can juggle two RPGs so that means I have to put Strange Journey Redux on hold while I'm playing this instead.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 09:56:03 AM »
Switch wins again. :rejoice
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 10:10:01 AM »
im hoping its not dogshit like Xenoblade 2 but so far things are looking so good right now
fat

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 11:04:47 AM »
Can't wait. It's one of like five games I have ever preordered (because preordering is stupid). The locked file is sitting on my switch, tempting me. I kinda don't even want to start the second demo because the first demo was good enough and I know I'm just gonna get pissed when I hit the three hour limit.

The only reasons to preorder anything are 1) You have Amazon Prime (you get 20% off on new titles if you preorder through Amazon and they have release day delivery for Prime members) or 2) it's a rare game which pretty much doesn't happen now that you can just get everything digitally (but then you miss out on flipping it later)
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 01:18:06 PM »
I was able to get through 6 of the prologues by skipping cut scenes and running everywhere, got to the 7th town where the thief is with 3 minutes until the demo times out. I'm pretty sure I could cut another 10-15 minutes off that but the biggest time sinks end up being the boss fights, especially once you have a full party because they take longer to kill (difficulty scaling) so I don't think it's worth it to try again, I'll just let that stand.
yar

Corporal

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 01:19:47 PM »

The only reasons to preorder anything are 1) You have Amazon Prime (you get 20% off on new titles if you preorder through Amazon and they have release day delivery for Prime members) or 2) it's a rare game which pretty much doesn't happen now that you can just get everything digitally (but then you miss out on flipping it later)
Giving businesses an interest-free advance on vague promises and bought previews is stupid, no matter what fancy words you use. :smug

Also, lies. Filthy lies. Amazon.de only gives me 2€ off for preordering, and that's the only Prime members exclusive bonus. Fuckers disrespecting mah natural born right to superiority. Who needs 2€, that's chump change, 20% off is a tangible benefit. I'd consider giving out a loan at that rate. :'(

(wasn't logged in because lazy, unlocking my password manager for a screenshot is overkill)
!list

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 03:02:26 PM »
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know that you don't live in a country that's great again.

:trumps
yar

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 04:43:55 PM »
Amazon is going to quit lavishing you with amazing discounts as soon as they've completely destroyed retail. :hitler
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 06:28:30 PM by Rufus »

Corporal

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 04:55:22 PM »
(grinds teeth in Bavarian)
!list

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 05:23:33 PM »
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know that you don't live in a country that's great again.

LOL YUROP.  Sucks for him- I pre-ordered the game for that sweet 20% discount with free release-day delivery.
 :aah
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 05:33:40 PM »

LOL YUROP.  Sucks for him- I pre-ordered the game for that sweet 20% discount with free release-day delivery.
 :aah

:rejoice
dog

agrajag

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 05:33:57 PM »
I'm not really an RPG player, but I played the demo with Oderic, and can someone tell me if there's something I'm missing about the battle system? I just spammed boost whenever I could and the game also tells you which weapon the enemies are weak against, making it really easy?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 05:43:31 PM »
I'm not really an RPG player, but I played the demo with Oderic, and can someone tell me if there's something I'm missing about the battle system? I just spammed boost whenever I could and the game also tells you which weapon the enemies are weak against, making it really easy?

In the final game you're not told who is weak to what, also you'll get into big battles with lots of different enemies that are vulnerable to different stuff which makes breaking them harder.
yar

agrajag

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 05:58:08 PM »

In the final game you're not told who is weak to what, also you'll get into big battles with lots of different enemies that are vulnerable to different stuff which makes breaking them harder.

Ah, I did not know that. Good to know. Nice game, kind of reminded me of FF6, but the visuals are hit or miss for me, dialogue can be pretty bad, and there are too many static NPC's that you can't even talked to. I'll probably pick it up.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 09:35:32 PM »
This game is going to be tits.
püp

bluemax

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2018, 12:17:58 AM »

You gotta be sure you're hitting enemies with attacks they're weak to, breaking them, then boosting for shit tons of damage.

I was doing that, and even boosting, I even bought better weapons! Taking multiple rounds to beat early game trash mobs has me wary is all.
NO

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2018, 12:59:05 AM »
GUESS UR JUST NOT HARDCORE ENOUGH BRO

One thing I didn't mention is that after playing through all the prologues, the characters are by and large a nice light hearted departure from typical rpg tropes (of course watch that change as the story progresses). Ophilia just wants to help her family and be a good cleric, Cyrus is a dedicated academic with no time for vag, Tressa just wants to be a badass merchant, Therion is a daring thief, and Alfyn wants to help people with his mad apothecary skillz, and, uh, oh yeah, Olberic and Primrose.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Olberic is pretty obviously just your stereotypical warrior type with his backstory, but Primrose is glaringly out of place. "Hello pure hearted cleric, absent minded professor, and bright eyed merchant, I watched my father get murdered as a child and then ended up whoring myself out as a teenager, got room for me in your happy go lucky adventuring party???" :doge
[close]
yar

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2018, 03:12:23 PM »

I was doing that, and even boosting, I even bought better weapons! Taking multiple rounds to beat early game trash mobs has me wary is all.

Same here, if already early its a grind then doing it for 60 hours would be boring

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2018, 08:11:19 PM »
You people are terrible and the reason why gaming is all bullshit microtransaction multiplayer shitfests in this blighted year of our lord, 2018. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your souls.

On topic, lunatics have been speedrunning the demo and are recording 40ish minute runthroughs of all 8 prologues. This one the guy gets a Cait (enemy that gives a shit ton of experience and job points) really early so it's skewed but still awesome.

Same guy but no Cait, but SHAVES TIME OFF BECAUSE HE'S A MANIAC

yar

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2018, 10:30:44 PM »
I played Live A Live / Seiken Densetsu 3 too.

That Uncharted Waters plot tho. :whew
[close]

agrajag

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2018, 12:01:27 AM »
people on Reee are freaking out because it's not like FF6 enough

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2018, 12:02:38 AM »
people on Reee are freaking out

u don't say
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2018, 10:05:35 AM »
Just a heads up, the Wayfarer's Edition is back in stock at Amazon... I made some not so subtle hints to my gf that my birthday is coming up and this is back in stock...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BC326XK?th=1
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2018, 11:05:23 AM »

It's clearly meant to be more like Square's lesser-known 16/32-bit RPGs, like Live-a-Live and Saga Frontier, so I dunno what they're problem is.
dog

agrajag

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2018, 12:18:24 PM »

It's clearly meant to be more like Square's lesser-known 16/32-bit RPGs, like Live-a-Live and Saga Frontier, so I dunno what they're problem is.

The producer said he meant for it to be a spiritual successor to FF6. Of course them being an autists that they are, there is now a 30 page thread arguing about that throwaway line in an interview and losing their minds at the prospect of it not living up to the ridiculous hype they built around it.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2018, 01:09:40 PM »
There are a couple previews that all have the same two complaints floating around out there now:

1) having to play through 8 intro stories is repetitive (a legit complaint)
2) oh the noes are cute lil sprite dudes don't interact what about TEH STORYZ??? (a complaint made by overly sensitive beta cucklords)

SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU'RE BEING GIVEN A 100+ HOUR GAME WITH INCREDIBLE COMBAT YOU STUPID ASSHOLES, GOD I SWEAR I HATE GAMERS SO FUCKING MUCH
yar

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2018, 01:14:28 PM »
There seems to be an obvious media blackout of the game after the initial intro chapters. I'm curious how it all comes together.
:9

paprikastaude

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2018, 01:33:44 PM »
A bunch of adventurers actively ignoring each other for 100 hours sounds hilariously stupid. Though any normal gamer who finds that dumb would simply move on to any other of the gazillion JRPGs we get currently. I guess REE really needed this to be a new FF6 to keep their switch boner alive, especially after they already had meltdowns over Mario Tennis being mediocre and there not being too much other list war fuel this year to begin with.  :doge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2018, 01:41:56 PM »
Just play DQXI on the superior PS4 console if a multithreaded narrative bothers ya you fuckmooks

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2018, 04:56:01 PM »

I've always thought this was the Romancing SaGa 3 to Bravely Default's FF5...
^_^

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2018, 06:24:16 PM »
The pixel art literally looks like SaGa Frontier 2 but with the multithreaded narrative of SaGa Frontier 1. The SaGa games have always fascinated me but meeting in the middle with a more traditional system along with aspects that makes SaGa feel fresh is whats so exciting about this.

Edit: Damn I forgot what SaGa Frontier 2 looks like. It aged well
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 09:08:06 PM by BlueTsunami »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2018, 06:39:45 PM »
This being more of a Saga game is why I’ve been somewhat cautious. Don’t know how anyone thought Final Fantasy from this.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2018, 08:40:37 PM »
Got through all 8 prologues in a little over an hour, guess it's time to grind and steal everything possible.
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2018, 09:54:12 PM »
Got through all 8 prologues in a little over an hour, guess it's time to grind and steal everything possible.

He did it, the absolute madman. :rejoice
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2018, 12:48:17 PM »
Honestly after watching a couple demo speedruns it's not hard, you just have to follow very predictable boss scripts that almost all involve breaking the boss and then using M (in one case an L) soulstones or a 4x boost Tressa hired help, usually Clerics. From what I can tell, fight all random encounters if you can win them in a round or two tops until you have Cyrus's evasive manuevers or whatever support skill that decreases random encounters, then always run from them after that. The trickiest part is knowing which chests to bother with- there are 2, maybe 3 old coins you need to get in order to fuel Tressa's hired help usage (Clerics cost 10k per pop and this is early in the game so you gotta make em count) and you will need to use vendors a total of two times: once to buy Cyrus a quartz staff right in the beginning so his elemental attacks hit harder and once after Primrose's boss fight to sell off all your old coins and the coin purse he drops to fuel Tressa inspired shenanigans.

Game is dope, can't wait. Sadly I'm out of town this weekend so I'll have to wait until next Sunday night to really dive into the game.
yar

bluemax

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2018, 02:52:21 AM »
The pixel art literally looks like SaGa Frontier 2 but with the multithreaded narrative of SaGa Frontier 1. The SaGa games have always fascinated me but meeting in the middle with a more traditional system along with aspects that makes SaGa feel fresh is whats so exciting about this.

Edit: Damn I forgot what SaGa Frontier 2 looks like. It aged well

I love SaGa games for how different they are, but I think most of them could benefit from being balanced/bug fixed/less obtuse.

Octopath does seem to do a better job of gleaning good elements from SaGa then say, Legend of Legacy.
NO

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2018, 02:11:26 PM »
For whatever it's worth to you (which should be nothing but some of y'all are simple creatures, whatever) the reviews are coming in and are overwhelmingly positive.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/octopath-traveler/critic-reviews
yar

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2018, 06:31:18 PM »
my dicc is so thicc for octopussy smasher
fat

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2018, 06:36:16 PM »
need ahegao emoticon, pls add

kingv

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2018, 06:36:46 PM »
I just read in a review that you can play it in a way that you meet everybody up and party... or not?

That’s impressive if true.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2018, 07:56:34 PM »
need ahegao emoticon, pls add
[close]
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2018, 08:41:19 PM »
©@©™

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2018, 10:11:20 PM »
My niccas, I'm here contemplating buying a Switch just for the possibility of capturing some sense of JRPG nostalgia. I feel like I have emotional aids.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2018, 11:41:44 PM »
My niccas, I'm here contemplating buying a Switch just for the possibility of capturing some sense of JRPG nostalgia. I feel like I have emotional aids.

I mean, I can't help you. I essentially bought one for a new Fire Emblem, so.
yar

Corporal

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2018, 09:51:05 AM »
It's a Nintendo console. If you're only buying it for one game and not for Nintendo games PLUS that one game then you're gonna feel stupid.

I am contractually obligated to add:
:phil Do eeet.
!list

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2018, 09:58:57 AM »
Why does UPS have to deliver so late in the day? :stahp
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2018, 10:05:36 AM »
Why does UPS have to deliver so late in the day? :stahp

Mine's coming from AMZL, which means it should come in an hour or two :hyper

Or come at 7:00 PM
[close]

Or not come at all
 :goty2
[close]
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2018, 01:39:23 PM »
i bought it should i cum now or later
fat

Corporal

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2018, 03:14:07 PM »
Only cumming once like some filthy casual.  :lol

Before, during, after, and several times inbetween. Anything less is an insult. Wring those gonads dry.
!list

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2018, 10:08:32 PM »
dog

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2018, 10:14:12 PM »
Cant believe people call that ugly. I want ALL the JRPG classic to be blessed by this engine and post processing.

agrajag

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2018, 02:21:59 AM »
I think it's kind of ugly. At least parts of it. Games like that shouldn't use the Unreal engine. Give me ultra crisp, detailed fully 2D graphics, please. There's something jarring about it.

Fifstar

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2018, 05:43:37 AM »
The aliased sprites and textures look kinda weird on their own and clash with the blurred out backgrounds. I feel there is a great artstyle somewhere below all those effects, but the game doesn't quite pull it off.
Gulp

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2018, 05:55:11 AM »
I dig the mixture. It feels way more like a diorama of a retro JRPG with the pixelated sprites. I feel if they brought the pixel work up a generation in style it would lose its charm. I do have a problem with the tile texture work. Now that can be an eyesore at times.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 09:10:56 AM by BlueTsunami »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平