Author Topic: Arcade1up and other home arcade machines  (Read 30737 times)

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
Re: Arcade1up - $299 Arcade Machines!
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2018, 10:03:33 AM »
They look to be getting good feedback on them at Evo.

Fry's is selling a Atari cabinet with 12 games for $500.  Sounds like Best Buy may have a similar one coming from another company like Midway.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2018, 07:58:44 AM »
EVO impressions from some people on RE.  Not sounding too hot, especially when they're saying they know things need improvement and will look into doing so on the next batch of releases.

Quote from: Katsubento, post: 11085152, member: 14211
Some quick impressions from the EVO floor..

Machine is nice, cabinet art is perfect.

Sf 2 stick and buttons. Very loose stick , but feels pretty good. Buttons are alright. The edges /rims are a bit hard. They are easy to press though.

Joystick height seems to work, even though it's slightly higher than normal on the cabinet. Two players are doable but a bit cramped.

Screen is what you would expect from an LCD. It looks fine at a glance, would benefit from a filter with some scan lines.  For the price, I'm letting it slide.

They wouldn't say what type of emulation  Games ran fine though from my quick sessions.

To select a game while in another, press and hold start for 5 secs and press jab (a).

As mentioned, they will only sell the riser and not the chairs since retailers didn't buy the chairs. If you need a chair, they are not hard to find.

Volume seemed okay even in the crowded EVO exhibit area. There are three levels.

One of the cabinets had a busted right player stick which to be fair  had a huge dude shaking that thing like his life depended on it. All the others were okay with normal play and didn't move while playing. Still, wondering how the stick is mounted and if that's a concern because of that one broken one.

Asteroids was like I remember.  Will get more time later, and answer any questions you may have.
Quote from: Argyle, post: 11096136, member: 2105
I checked these out at Evo this weekend.

I had preordered the Asteroids and Centipede ones, mainly because I am interested in the trackball/spinner controllers.  I did try the Rampage and Street Fighter II cabinets also, though.

The monitors look like cheap TN panels, with mediocre viewing angles.  That said, they're not horrible screens and are pretty servicable if you're standing right in front of the cabinet.

The joysticks were pretty terrible, I had a lot of problems doing shoryuken-type motions, and at least one stick was already flaky and broken (of course, maybe they weren't built to true arcade durability standards and they are out on public display at Evo).  They are their own custom sticks from what I can tell and they don't look like they mount the way that real arcade sticks mount (didn't see four screw holes near the opening for the stick in the control panel, so not sure how they are mounted into the cabinet).

The worst thing is that the trackball and spinner are nearly unusable.  Real trackballs and spinners are analog controllers, for each axis they output two square waves as a signal with the phase of the waves indicating direction and the frequency of the waves as velocity.  These controllers felt very digital, sort of like they had discrete steps like a rotary encoder. This makes makes many of the games unplayable IMHO.  On the spinner you can actually feel the individual stops.  For example, if you want to move quickly in a game like Major Havoc, you'd spin the spinner quickly, but because it seems like they are using an encoder if you move the spinner fast enough you can seem to wrap the spinner around and actually cause your character to move the WRONG way.  If you spin the trackball quickly you get jittery, stuttery motion in every game I tried (Millipede, Crystal Castles, Missile Command).

I'm kinda crushed that these are IMHO not very good and I just cancelled my preorder :(  I think that if you're into the joystick controlled games then you'll have a better time, but I already have a real cabinet so there's not much point for me personally.

One more point of trivia - Gauntlet in the Rampage cabinet is the 2P version of the game, because the original Gauntlet had one joystick for each of the four characters.  With only three joysticks one character would become unplayable, so they are using the 2P version of the game that allows character selection at the beginning of the game, leaving the third joystick unused.
Quote from: FinKL, post: 11096934, member: 2267
EVO Impressions

Authentic stickers
Well built
Sticks definitely not up to par.  But then again, most of the time at the arcade you had to deal with these imperfections as well.  Some levers were loose, others stiff and clicked to certain sides.  Buttons were ok.
Monitor was fine, sound was ok
For nostalgia sake these are ok, but if you really want to sit down and get a fair game in, i'd replace the sticks.

Only played 1 SF match though, will definitely try to get in more tomorrow
Quote from: FinKL, post: 11182671, member: 2267
Great that they are listening to feedback, but sucks they won't be able to make the improvements to the first round of shipments it's literally out in what 60 days?

I spent a bit more time on the SF2 cab and I can say the size definitely hinders the enjoyment.  A lot of times if you were 1P you would brush up against 2P's joystick hand which was bothersome.  For a 1 player cab, these are great size, but 2 player is pushing it.

Also the ball top can become loose since it's just a screw on.  So during game play when doing motions, I could feel the ball top come loose and I'd have to retighten it myself.  I'm still intrigued by these and will keep and eye out when people dissect these as they are the cheapest way to get into a small cab that's ready to go.
Quote from: Katsubento, post: 11117387, member: 14211
I had a very long discussion with the people at the booth. As far as the SF2 cabinet, they have taken some of the feedback from EVO and want to fix some of the complaints before launch (which ones he didn't say), and I'm not sure many can be addressed in a short time since they launch in less than two months, but they were genuinely interested in feedback.  They do want to improve their overall quality and the showing at EVO was invaluable to them in getting what people liked and disliked

They do have a list of improvements that they want to add to the next batch of cabinets. They never thought about scanlines, they actually thought people wanted crt monitors and not a simple filter. They know now.

Overall, I think it might be worth it for the price if you don't have actual cabinets. They are a cool novelty and conversation piece for sure. I'm going to be modding mine with better buttons etc.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2018, 08:21:14 AM »
The joysticks were pretty terrible, I had a lot of problems doing shoryuken-type motions

Do they play SF2 era games? Because they have different demands for dp’s than modern ones.
IYKYK

kingv

« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2018, 08:54:04 AM »
I feel like these things will probably still mostly be winner if easy to mod.

Frankly, I think they could get away with selling full size cabinets for $399 that included nothing but the cabinet with arcade accurate graphics and lighting and standard sized cutouts and mounts for a 16:9 monitor and joysticks.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2018, 09:25:30 AM »
The joysticks were pretty terrible, I had a lot of problems doing shoryuken-type motions

Do they play SF2 era games? Because they have different demands for dp’s than modern ones.

Dunno, but there were other posts detailing the quality of the sticks themselves and they were labeled as being worse than the cheaper Hori sticks, so take that as you will.

I feel like these things will probably still mostly be winner if easy to mod.

Definitely- I'd still be very tempted to get one if modding is an easy thing or outright-replacing whatever the games are running off of.  I'd rather have a custom cab with a Windows PC- load that up with Hyperspin or whatever but also have access to SF 30th Anniversary Collection for online play, too.  :drool
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2018, 09:36:03 AM »
They've already said they were using Chinese offbrand sticks/buttons so them being bad is no shock. But those are easily and cheaply replaced so it's no biggie.

Bebpo

« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2018, 12:24:22 PM »
There were really tiny in person. Like they’re impossible to play standing up without putting them on a stand.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2018, 12:12:00 PM »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2018, 11:08:16 AM »
Decided that if I ever get a cab, I think it's going to be something more like this.

https://www.recroommasters.com/Xtension-Bartop-scaled-down-arcade-machines-s/99.htm

$330 for a bartop unit or $350 for a 3/4 scale unit (like the Arcade 1up machines).  Better quality and easily allows for you to use whatever you want inside.  Note that the price does not include a monitor or emu box/PC inside, so it costs more for everything, but I already have a TV and two extra monitors sitting around that would fit right in.  I'd either get a cheap stick PC/HTPC or a Retropie and drop it in.  Easy stuff.

At the moment, early review units appear to not be able to be modded, so I'm staying away from Arcade1Up unless that changes.  There's also rumblings that their next batch of machines will use higher-quality parts and screens.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2018, 11:20:30 AM »
is there any word on the cocktail cabs they showed? an sf2 version of one of those would be awesome and way more fun to play on than the 3/4 cabs

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2018, 11:44:57 AM »
Don't think they've said anything about them yet.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2018, 10:48:10 AM »
I am so tempted.

And now I'm not again.  :lol  You can't mod the system inside (apparently even if you could, there's only enough space for what's on there anyway) and what that guy did was to go go add in a Raspberry Pi.  He had to buy some extra parts to do it and also had to cut holes into the joystick area for additional buttons.  There's also issues with the sound so you have to buy something else for that.

For the added costs, you might as well just buy a premade cab from somewhere like Recroom Masters for $325-$350 and put in your own Pi or PC and monitor.
https://www.recroommasters.com/Xtension-Bartop-scaled-down-arcade-machines-s/99.htm
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2018, 12:57:08 PM »
It’s kind of weird they made it so limited.

There’s probably a decent market for something like this if easily moddable.

Of course, I wouldn’t be too surprised if the publishers don’t want it moddable.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2018, 05:45:44 PM »
Saw one of these in person today, they're really smol lol, like I'd be too big for it if I was kneeling.
Hi

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2018, 07:29:48 AM »

Got drunk and took advantage of a 20% coupon to get the Street Fighter cabinet.  I dig it.

kingv

« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2018, 08:25:17 AM »
Looks kind of cool but it’s shorter than a guitar on a stand?

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2018, 08:31:23 AM »
The guitar is on a ledge - the Arcade 1up is 4 1/2 feet tall.  I can sit on the floor and play it comfortably, but I might still get a riser.

kingv

« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2018, 09:14:49 AM »
How do the joysticks and buttons feel?

4.5 feet is not too bad, but it is kind of a weird height. Way too tall to put on a bar top, but a little short to put on the floor.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2018, 09:34:39 AM »
They do make 1 foot risers.

The joystick feels a bit loose, but the buttons are nice.  I don't have any problems pulling off any special moves and I'm a pretty scrubby fighting game player.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2018, 10:43:50 AM »
Still holding out for my new coffee table

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2018, 08:31:24 AM »
FYI some Wal-Marts overstocked the Pac-Man and Galaga cabinets and are selling them for $150-200.

Also there is a Costco exclusive one that comes preassembled  with six games and a stool for $299.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2018, 08:55:45 AM »
I actually saw one at a Walmart last week and it's super tiny.  :lol

I haven't been following since the announcement, if it's easy to mod it into a MAME machine with changing the hardware out, I'd consider it.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2018, 09:19:13 AM »
I haven't tried any modding yet, but based on what I've seen in Facebook groups, it looks fairly easy to throw in a Pi.

I ended up getting the 12 in 1 Atari cabinet with riser from Kohl's.  It was $50 off and came with $100 of Kohl's Cash.

My Street Fighter cabinet was popular with the family after Thanksgiving dinner.  Here's my 1 year old "playing" it.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 09:30:59 AM by porkbun »

kingv

« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2018, 07:04:41 PM »
Oh that’s interesting. I saw one picture of one and it looked like a mess of weird non-standard ribbon cables and shit. But I guess it doesn’t take a genius to rewire it if they are using standard protocols.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2018, 01:40:26 PM »
Got my 12 in 1 set up.

Shuri

« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2018, 02:59:13 PM »
I almost bought one yesterday, but the price is expensive in Canada  :doge .. I'll wait for a price drop.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2018, 06:08:15 PM »
This is still what I'd like to go with at some point.

ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2018, 08:57:15 AM »
FYI looks like Wal-Mart has dropped the price to $199, some stores have them on clearance for even cheaper ($75-150).

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2018, 03:45:01 PM »
Hopefully these bois don’t go belly up before I get my cocktail table version

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2018, 03:48:44 PM »
I think Wal-Mart just overbought them for Black Friday and did a terrible job of marketing them.  Like they had them laying in flat stacks in the middle of the produce department.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2018, 08:28:26 PM »
FYI looks like Wal-Mart has dropped the price to $199, some stores have them on clearance for even cheaper ($75-150).

I'd buy an SFII machine for $75-$150.  Will jump on that if I find it, damn. 
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2019, 01:49:56 PM »
Some new (or not so new) cabinets announced at CES:

Space Invaders (B&W and color versions)
Final Fight/Ghosts N Goblins/Strider/1944
Golden Tee
Mortal Kombat (1-3)
Karate Champ/Bad Dudes/Cavemen Ninja/Burgertime

They will also be releasing bartops and wall mountable smaller cabinets.

Rumor has it they are also releasing cocktail tables, the first being a Capcom 12 in 1. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2019, 02:19:13 PM »
 :gladbron
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2019, 02:48:48 PM »
Twitter pic for Mortal Kombat shows the Ultimate MK3 logo.
ど助平

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2019, 04:31:18 PM »
Cavemen Ninja/ Joe and Mac is pretty lit, I’d be down for that in a cocktail table

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2019, 08:50:52 PM »
Golden Tee would be the only one worth it imo. $300 for a single game you can play on pretty much anything with a screen is absurd in 2019.

Whichever cab has six buttons is the best one- mod these suckers.  If their bartops are cheap enough, I'll probably go that route.  Expecting the cocktail table units to be $500-$600.
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2019, 09:10:12 AM »
The SF2 cabinets are the go-to ones for modders.

A couple of pictures of the Capcom 12 in 1 cocktail table box got leaked, not all of the game titles were readable but it does have the SF Alpha games it.

One of the bartops is Dig Dug.

They are also making risers and stools with game graphics on them, and lighted marquees.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2019, 09:19:27 AM »
No six button bartop units from them.  Oh well.

This is weird.  Capcom and SNK stuff too.  Just some baffling choices on some of the titles though.

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2019, 09:24:02 AM »
Gotta admit that I'd probably cave if they did an MVS-style red cab with some good NeoGeo games available.  :lol
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2019, 09:30:22 AM »
What if they did a version that was all Cave shooters?  :omg
dog

Himu

« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2019, 09:31:14 AM »
This is still what I'd like to go with at some point.

This is legit and not tiny? I really am liking the table one.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2019, 09:37:17 AM »
Not sure what you mean by "legit" but higher quality than Arcade 1up.  Those guys have a good rep.  Costs more since you're just paying for the cab and that's it...gotta supply your own TV/monitor and PC/Pie/whatever, but that's what I like about it- it's all plug and play and you can hook up whatever. 
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2019, 09:39:22 AM »

Himu

« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2019, 09:42:41 AM »
Not sure what you mean by "legit" but higher quality than Arcade 1up.  Those guys have a good rep.  Costs more since you're just paying for the cab and that's it...gotta supply your own TV/monitor and PC/Pie/whatever, but that's what I like about it- it's all plug and play and you can hook up whatever.

You have to provide your own monitor? That’s bad. What kind of monitors are people going with that’s low in input lag? Only a crt would be a good option.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2019, 09:45:18 AM »

You have to provide your own monitor? That’s bad. What kind of monitors are people going with that’s low in input lag? Only a crt would be a good option.

What's bad about it?  It means you have full control over what you stick in there. 

These little emulator machines aren't made for CRTs.  Input lag isn't going to be an issue with a good monitor anyway. 
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2019, 10:00:25 AM »
or even with a cheap monitor. you can get a good low lag asus or benq for like $100

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!

Bebpo

« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2019, 04:01:42 PM »
Gotta admit that I'd probably cave if they did an MVS-style red cab with some good NeoGeo games available.  :lol

I got this from AliExpress. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12-Display-Arcade-Game-console-Table-Top-Game-Cabinet-1500-in-1-Pandora-s-Box-9/32848786730.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.25594c4d33I36F

Hmmm, so if you stick this on a riser is this like a good cheap mame machine without having to build your own mame machine? One day I'd like to have a mame machine.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2019, 08:32:37 PM »

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12-Display-Arcade-Game-console-Table-Top-Game-Cabinet-1500-in-1-Pandora-s-Box-9/32848786730.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.25594c4d33I36F

Hmmm, so if you stick this on a riser is this like a good cheap mame machine without having to build your own mame machine? One day I'd like to have a mame machine.

That's way too small for a riser.  If you want something close to a "real" standing cab you'd want to get and modify a 1up Arcade cab with a riser or get one of Rec Room Masters' Xtension Alphacade units:
https://www.recroommasters.com/19-Xtension-Alpha-Cade-for-Raspberry-Pi-and-PC-p/rm-xt-alpha-emulation.htm

All you have to do with those is plug in a PC or Raspberry Pi and the sticks are USB, so it's super simple.    These are are same units from earlier in the thread where you need to also provide your own monitor or TV too. I like this kind of style because it means I could get a small and powerful enough PC to stick inside one of these things and even run modern games like SFV, Tekken 7, and Soul Calibur 6 on them.  I wonder if there's enough room to fit in a laptop... :thinking

They also have pedestal style units where you can use larger TVs or monitors and just put fight sticks on top:
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2019, 09:05:07 AM »

Like Bork said, it's too small for just a riser.  It's basically a smaller bartop cabinet.  I have mine on top of a couple of boxes right now until I can figure something better.  It has Pandora's Box on it, so I don't think you can add more games, but with 1500 on it, there's not much more I would add.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2019, 10:43:55 AM »
https://twitter.com/hide_loopcube/status/1167353638504693760
:leon

SNK said "new hardware compatible with NeoGeo Mini" was coming- what if this is what they're referring to and you can hook up the NeoGeo Mini to it to play more games?
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2019, 10:48:00 AM »
Interesting things shown on the Japanese site:
https://arcade1up.jp/

ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2019, 10:55:53 AM »
That table-top Pac-Man machine is pretty hot.
dog

kingv

« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2019, 12:03:37 PM »
The data east one could be cool too. I dug bad dudes back in the day.

Are the table top ones like a normal cabinet size... or are they for toddlers?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2019, 01:15:10 PM »
That table-top Pac-Man machine is pretty hot.

I bet that's going to be really popular among the modding crowd.

Are the table top ones like a normal cabinet size... or are they for toddlers?

It's Arcade 1up so guessing babby-size™
ど助平

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2019, 05:12:20 PM »
These things are kinda cool but there's never been one where I'm into having everything that's included on it. :doge
Hi

Shuri

« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2019, 12:55:26 PM »
I'm really tempted to get the mk one, but i'm out of space  :heh

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #118 on: September 09, 2019, 11:24:58 AM »
SF2 one is $187.50 Amazon DotD.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: September 13, 2019, 01:18:01 PM »
https://www.recroommasters.com/Xtension-Alpha-Cade-3-4-Scale-Vertical-Arcade-p/rm-xt-alpha-vert.htm

Pretty cool new machine from Xtension.  Allows for vertically-oriented games to display full-screen and for digital marquees.

ど助平