Author Topic: Xenogears was a great game  (Read 7298 times)

Himu

Xenogears was a great game
« on: August 03, 2018, 05:26:04 PM »
I replayed it years back and it's still great. Yeah it has its issues, but it also has an amazing soundtrack, arguably best romance story in an rpg next to Celes and Locke (might even be better), great set piece moments (zombies, the entire section with Bart freeing his kingdom, going to the sky world;etc). It has fascinating lore and history, and the characters (barring Chu Chu) are all great.

When I first played it I was obsessed with it for a long time. I joined Zenosaga, read Perfect Works, listened to all the arranged Xenogears Mitsuda albums with Creid being my favorite, I did it all.

I wish it'd get a remake but I know that's not even possible.

Are the Xenoblade games like Xenogears? I was let down by XenoSaga so much.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Xenogears was a great game
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 07:42:58 PM »
I put it on my VITA baby for on the go hamster action
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 08:38:57 PM »
Just got a copy of this in the mail yesterday.  Sold it off some years back and now that I have Xenosaga I-III and all three Xenoblades I figured I needed this back in the collection. 

The Xenoblade games don't play like Xenogears or Xenosaga.  More like FFXII, I think?
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 09:29:34 PM »
Just got a copy of this in the mail yesterday.  Sold it off some years back and now that I have Xenosaga I-III and all three Xenoblades I figured I needed this back in the collection. 

The Xenoblade games don't play like Xenogears or Xenosaga.  More like FFXII, I think?

i'm not talking about play but story and lore
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 09:36:12 PM »

:idont
ど助平

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 12:44:16 AM »
I still have my non-greatest hits copy. God, I loved the first disc when it came out. The scale of everything just blew my mind. Going into Aveh the first time was gaming moment I won't forget. That being said, it's aged terribly. There's so much filler and silliness. The graphics still hold up better than most PS1 games, but man the dialogue slowness and the length of the cut scenes just kills it dead for me. I wish they would remake this, give it a proper 2nd half and really do what they wanted. I liked Xenosaga, I loved Xenosaga III (hated II).  I liked Xenoblade, but felt it was just too different to really sate that Xenogears fix I've been craving. I'm playing Xenoblade 2 off and on now, and it's the same as Xenoblade. It seems with all the Xeno games they never really get close to delivering on the director's vision. I think Xenoblade came the closest to it, but again it's its own beast.  Xenogears has so much potential. SO MUCH of it, I actually have a hard time thinking of another game that had that much potential that they never made anything of it. I remember the same feeling when I played Metal Gear Solid and thinking "This changes it all, this has so much potential" But I always knew there would be more. Xenogears I hoped for more. I was excited with Xenosaga, but ultimately let down. Xenoblade delivered, but it's not the same.
que

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 12:51:43 AM »
MEN
OF
THE
SEA

Sadly never finished disc 2 as I got bogged down somewhere but  Disc 1 was epic.

The intro still gives me chills to this day, it was so good.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 01:26:08 AM »
Disc one was "amazing" then the whole thing fell apart.  :yuck

NOSTALGIA NOTE: remember picking this up with MGS1 day one. Didn't even touch MGS till a few hours into disc 2 a few days later. After I tried MGS never came back to it...tried getting back into it on vita but nah.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 07:41:08 AM »
Xenogears has aged like milk and is one of the worst ways you could spend your time in 2018.

I played 20 hours of this shit before dumping it. Gave it a honest shot, its a bad JRPG in a era of greats.
OH!

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 08:27:54 AM »
XG soundtrack > Chrono Cross soundtrack
pcp

Himu

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 09:08:53 AM »
Xenogears has aged like milk and is one of the worst ways you could spend your time in 2018.

I played 20 hours of this shit before dumping it. Gave it a honest shot, its a bad JRPG in a era of greats.

Nah
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 11:05:57 AM »
When you walk into Dazil for the first time and that theme plays. :ohhh :lawd :whew

mormapope

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2018, 12:28:06 PM »
Alright, I've put 15 hours into Xenogears, I'm at Kislev about to steal my gear back and stop Rico's execution. Here are the pros and cons of Xenogears thus far:

Pros:
Visuals have aged well and there's a lot of color and vibrance.

There's some incredibly solid sections of gameplay combined with narrative. Breaking into a castle while a martial arts tournament happens at the same time. Fighting mechs in a desert while your buddy is trying to accomplish his espionage mission.   

Really neat bits of interactivity. Running over someone's shit on a blanket results in them complaining, people to ask you to move out of their way. A lot of small touches that aren't in other JRPGs.

Minigames or gameplay diversions have been neat and executed well.

Cons:

The combat is fucking boring. You'd think a turn based game where you can do combos as your main attacks would be interesting. What ends up happening is doing a bunch of weak combos to unlock deathblows, and eventually deathblows start outclassing earlier deathblows, making those combos not even matter. Combos take too long to watch.

Encounter rate is fucked in dungeon areas. You often run for a few seconds and then a battle happens. Random encounters in other JRPGs of all eras weren't this bad.

Encounters happening IN THE MIDDLE OF PLATFORMING. WHY. THIS IS A FUCKED OVERSIGHT. Missing a jump and having to more random battles is beyond fucked. 

Combat difficulty is non existent, combining that with boring combat means you get a good battle every couple or few hours.

Accessory and weapons are basic as fuck. Shit, Fei and Citan haven't had weapons for the entire game. I get their martial artists, but god damn, looking for weapons in any all shops results in disappointment.

The localization/writing is not nearly good enough for how much shit you have to read. A simple conversation can go on for three minutes. I don't know how to express how longwinded dialog can be, and how simple it is at the same time. Xenogears makes Metal Gear Solid 2 cutscenes look breakneck and fast paced in comparison. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After 15 hours, there have probably been around five hours of brilliance, and then ten hours of amateur hour horseshit. I'm fine with this format, of storylines picking up at a certain point. Deadly Premonition is nothing but weird bullshit until the final third. The difference there is the moment to moment storytelling was hilarious, goofy, charming, endearing in Deadly Premonition.

I've heard how disc 2 is dreaded for changing the game's format completely, but as long as shit starts to get answered and explained, I'm fine with the shitty dungeons being thrown out.

Im proud of my 2016 self.

:obama

Also, if you're only talking about story/lore, your thread title is misleading. The gameplay in Xenogears is sooooooo bad.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2018, 02:07:19 PM »
Disagree entirely. You didn't play much if you think XG is an easy game. Game is infamous for difficulty spikes and hard bosses. Love the battle system.

"Accessory and weapons are basic as fuck. Shit, Fei and Citan haven't had weapons for the entire game. I get their martial artists, but god damn, looking for weapons in any all shops results in disappointment. " This seems like something weird to complain about.

Did you fight the sewer boss? Or Id? Or do the boss fight in Dazil? Xenogears is no slouch. I find unlocking deathblows fun. Never had a problem with combos either.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 02:20:20 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2018, 02:16:22 PM »
iirc this statement is entirely incorrect.

"What ends up happening is doing a bunch of weak combos to unlock deathblows, and eventually deathblows start outclassing earlier deathblows, making those combos not even matter. "

The battle system is similar to Chrono Cross. Combos require AP. Deathblows require specific AP requirements to be used. You can't just use a deathblow. This means, you might lack the AP to do a Deathblow. The AP system, combo system, and deathblow system work in perfect harmony. You can't do deathblows without combo attacks. Similarly to Chrono Cross you build up to stronger attacks by unlocking them with combos and you have to make a decision on "do I want to deathblow now or should I save my AP?"

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2018, 02:17:21 PM »
Anyways

Xenogears owns
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 02:59:03 PM »
There's some issues with the gameplay, such as the aforementioned difficulty spikes, ill-advised platforming (Tower of Babel), a rushed disk 2, and slow text speed... but there are lots of beloved RPGs with more flawed gameplay. Though the story is truly what drives Xenogears, still have never seen a storyline with that epic a scope in gaming (maybe the Trails series if taken as a whole), and such a broad range of complex themes (such as wave theory, the concept of id/ego/superego, etc). Really wish there were more high-concept, grandiose RPGs of this nature being made.
^_^

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 03:48:40 PM »
I haven’t played Xenogears since Clinton was president, but I loved it back then.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2018, 04:04:41 PM »
When you walk into Dazil for the first time and that theme plays. :ohhh :lawd :whew

IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2018, 04:17:59 PM »

Xenoblade has an unique premise, but the story is typical animue cringe, trite and predictable (plus toothless in the long run) except for the ending which feels nonsensical more than anything. But at least the art direction wasn't yet moe-tier like it is with the newest sequel.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 04:29:05 PM by Spieler1 »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 04:23:34 PM »
Even with how angsty it was its still miles better than the animu bullshit we get now. It played those story beats straight anf if you were feeling the characters and scenario, the game was elevated due to it. Now we get mostly tween coming of age journeys and meta fanservice.

I also loved the deathblow system. My dream sequel would be a Xenogear 2 that took that system and took cues from Legend of Legaia.
:9

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 06:31:57 PM »
man i wish legaia was on vita. ngl about to hack my vita if it means i can play all these ps1 games
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 07:22:27 PM »
Xenogears is angsty, Eva-like, 90s anime; Xenoblade is over-the-top, goofy, 10's animu.
dog

Freyj

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2018, 08:27:07 PM »
this is a game I'm terrified of replaying as my nostalgia for it is very strong

mormapope

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2018, 11:15:21 AM »
Disagree entirely. You didn't play much if you think XG is an easy game.

I played 15-20 hours, as Ive said or posted twice in this thread. If that's not much to you, I don't have anything positive to say regarding that. I gave the game an honest shot due to its legacy, but it plays really really bad.

I played many PS1 RPGs that summer. Front Mission 3, Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story, FF IX. I had fun PLAYING all of those games. The localization for Xenogears is also really bad.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2018, 11:44:06 AM »
So you didn't do the sewer boss or the boss when you first leave Dazil? I just doubt it. :yeshrug

I mean we all have preferences but pretty much all of your negatives are false. Xenogears is infamous for difficulty spikes, its battle system is actually pretty cohesive. If you didn't have fun playing it I don't begrudge you for it, but the flaws you cite really aren't true problems for XG. Its problems are mostly in its pacing and overly ambitious ideas, but also its poor camera controls, and (sometimes) its platforming. You didn't get to a Gear fight and find you didn't upgrade your Gear and got stuck? See, that's what I doubt. You mentioned the game doesn't have much equipment, but 20 hours into the game would have put you in a place where you had to have been forced to learn the games sub systems (upgrading Gears, deathblows, AP accumulation,  AP stocking tactics) to progress.

It's fine if you don't like it, but they're so far and beyond the usual critique of the game. :yeshrug
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:54:15 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2018, 12:03:00 PM »
It takes 20 hours to get to that point?
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2018, 12:12:21 PM »
No. By 20 hours in you would have been forced to learn the games sub systems, not that it takes 20 hours to happen.

I just checked the Xenogears Let's Play and they're in the sewers by 16 hours in. So :yeshrug

I'm not saying XG is a hard game. But it's not mindless either.
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2018, 12:33:21 PM »
I frankly don't give a fuck if you believe me on playing the game for 20 hours. I played the game two years ago, and playing Xenogears wasnt a pinnacle moment in my life. Anything I say is going to be disregarded by you, based on your history. Enjoy your thread.  :)

Maybe Ill try to find my save file to appease you, probably not tho.

OH!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2018, 12:40:29 PM »
Shut up bitch Xenogears rules
fat

mormapope

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2018, 01:18:15 PM »

I'm a dirty bitch that had more fun with FFXIII than Xenostink.  :yuck
OH!

Himu

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2018, 02:04:21 PM »

I'm a dirty bitch that had more fun with FFXIII than Xenostink.  :yuck

You might not know it but this says far more about you than it does Gears.  :goty2
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2018, 02:21:08 PM »
It means I play a lot of different games. FFXIII is a solid 5/10. Xenogears is a hobbled 4/10.

Let's not forget how much of a chance ypu gave Witcher 3, a game that has more merit when it comes to a single quest versus hours of Xenogears.

Which isn't much of an accomplishment actually. 20 year difference and all. Point is, Witcher Witcher Im a Xenogears bitcher.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2018, 02:28:35 PM »
I don’t get why you’re so defensive you don’t like it.

I don’t care you don’t like it. I’ve talked to many that don’t. It’s just that your reasons for not liking it make no sense. Not liking Xenogears because you don’t enjoy the battle system is kinda weird. I think even most Gears haters would admit that. :idont
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2018, 02:31:33 PM »

Himu

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2018, 02:33:19 PM »
As for Witcher 3, I don’t even think it’s a bad game. I’m not outright shitting on it like you are with XG and never have. It just isn’t the kind of game I enjoy anymore. But I perfectly understand why people would like it.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2018, 06:38:23 PM »
Then after 40-50 hours, they drop the Cliff notes version of the ending.. Pretty serious imbalance of development choices, if you ask me.... Ever more reason this game needs a proper remaster... easily moreso than FF7.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2018, 07:56:11 PM »
Ever more reason this game needs a proper remaster... easily moreso than FF7.

The creative team left Square to go make Xenosaga for Namco, so that will probably never happen.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2018, 08:30:50 PM »
I mentioned wanting a remake in the OP.

What’s even more likely to not give XG a remake is it’s scope far more so than the staff leaving.

XG is an 80 hour rpg. I read online on “how long to beat” that they listed it as 50 hours. Lol My ass. The amount of locations it has is insane and it rarely reuses assets. That kind of game being remade in these times would have to have a massive budget and be popular enough to earn it. Of its era, only Dragon Quest VII is more vast, topping at 120 hours rather than 80. And the only way DQ7’s remake works is because the game (original and remake) reuse so many assets.

XG’s staff not only left the company, it’s also one of the largest and longest jrpgs of all time. No hyperbole.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2018, 01:23:17 AM »
Then after 40-50 hours, they drop the Cliff notes version of the ending.. Pretty serious imbalance of development choices, if you ask me.... Ever more reason this game needs a proper remaster... easily moreso than FF7.

Iirc they ran out of budget

Himu

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2018, 01:41:04 AM »
They had a deadline.

Sakaguchi said “wrap it up” and they didn’t want to sacrifice the story by ending it early. So they made a compromise and that’s how we got disc 2.

TBH when I first played it in 2003 I didn’t have an issue with disc 2. It had less interaction but the story was still delivering. And there was a fun Gears based optional dungeon too.

Replaying it, it sticks out but I still like it despite its imperfection. The pacing is better because it’s mostly told through text and the story becomes absolutely incredible during disc 2. Fei becomes the first jrpg character to nail his lover and not beat around the bush (lol).

Tbh NGL, I’ve said this before elsewhere but no other video game handles sex as mature as Xenogears.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 01:45:11 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2018, 01:49:26 AM »
I dont remember any sec  :'(

Just the angst and wondering who ID was.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2018, 01:54:38 AM »
Now im on a wiki reading the story realizing I dont remember shit

Himu

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2018, 01:56:16 AM »
Fei and Elly have sex on disc 2.

But there's also this.

Fei and Elly make up my favorite romance story in a game. A thousand year love story! :heartbeat
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2018, 01:59:12 AM »
Xenogears is different from other games in how it approaches sex. In other games they glorify sex, put it on a pedestal, or treat it like a reward (Mass Effect games and about any wrpg with sex in it). In Xenogears the act isn't shown, but the bond and the way they use it to show the connection between the characters is A+.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2018, 07:43:10 AM »
Tried to play XG again on my phone with the uprezd graphics, but that horrid camera rotation that plagued the PS1 era is unbearable to play on a touch screen.  Also, I wish they had an option for the walk/run button toggle a la Chrono Cross.  Would make a world of difference as well. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2018, 08:23:12 AM »
Xenogears is different from other games in how it approaches sex. In other games they glorify sex, put it on a pedestal, or treat it like a reward (Mass Effect games and about any wrpg with sex in it). In Xenogears the act isn't shown, but the bond and the way they use it to show the connection between the characters is A+.

I read that this was censored for 'Murica, but how much so I have no idea.  I've also read that nothing was censored.
:neogaf
ど助平

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2018, 09:31:06 AM »
Censoring some religious things from a game is so 90s

But it totally fits with the times and Marilyn Manson and whatnot

Because gamea where for kidZzzz

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2018, 09:35:13 AM »
Censoring some religious things from a game is so 90s

But it totally fits with the times and Marilyn Manson and whatnot

Because gamea where for kidZzzz

The sexxor, not the changing of the church to whatever name it is.
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2018, 09:35:30 AM »
Blessed Photo

fat

Himu

« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2018, 10:05:20 AM »
Tried to play XG again on my phone with the uprezd graphics, but that horrid camera rotation that plagued the PS1 era is unbearable to play on a touch screen.  Also, I wish they had an option for the walk/run button toggle a la Chrono Cross.  Would make a world of difference as well.

The camera controls were the only real barrier to me replaying XG. I tried it before and couldn’t do it. Felt like shit. Devastated me. But I gave it another chance and forced myself to get used to it again. I got used to it again by the forest. Can’t imagine it on a touch screen.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2018, 10:30:47 AM »

The camera controls were the only real barrier to me replaying XG. I tried it before and couldn’t do it. Felt like shit. Devastated me. But I gave it another chance and forced myself to get used to it again. I got used to it again by the forest. Can’t imagine it on a touch screen.
I really wanted to replay it again, but trying to do a running jump was quite literally impossible on touchscreen.   :-\

Himu

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2018, 10:33:42 AM »
Do it on a ps3 or psp, bb
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2018, 10:53:53 AM »
Do it on a Vita you fucking piece of shit Vita is the best and I get loads of pussy with my Vita
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2018, 11:08:19 AM »

I really wanted to replay it again, but trying to do a running jump was quite literally impossible on touchscreen.   :-\

So...use a controller...?  :doge
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2018, 12:44:40 PM »

So...use a controller...?  :doge
I want it in my pocket... on my phone... on one device... no accessories.  :D  If Sony only continued that Xperia Play line of phones!...   :lawd

All this XG talk is making me want to give it a try again. lol   I stopped at Thames, IIRC.  Jumping those crane platforms had me throw a massive fit and gave up.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2018, 12:46:56 PM »
my darling and i will be replaying xenogears. join us and we can compare sizes and talk about strung up space hamsters
fat

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2018, 03:40:39 PM »
que

Svejk

« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2018, 04:59:01 PM »
Thanks to all ya'll, I've been reading up on to refresh my memory to where I left off in my game...  And stumbled onto this synopsis about the events leading to where the game starts.  Holy shit...  Apparently, I didn't know jack and shit about the details of the story...  I mean I thought I had a pretty good idea of what was going on, but this guy's write up pieces it together pretty damn well.
 :drudge OBVIOUSLY STORY SPOILERS   :drudge

spoiler (click to show/hide)
These are the events leading up to the game.

A super weapon called the Yahweh interplanetary invasion system was created by an interstellar federation. During its testing, and unbeknowest to the Federation, its power source trapped a hyperdimensional being that gave tremendous power to the system, which then went rogue. After the test, it couldn't be destroyed or deactivated and was instead separated into its components for transport for decommissioning. Basically "I'm going to throw this dangerous, defective piece of shit as far out of federation space as I can"

The components were the Zohar Modifier, its power source, and Deus, its biological core.

These components were placed on the USS Eldridge, a colony ship nearly 300KM long.

During transport, Deus became aware of the situation and attempted to assimilate the Eldridge. The captain of the Eldridge initiated a self destruct to prevent this from happening. While the assimilation was happening, a lost little boy named Abel was longing for his mother and somehow happened upon the containment room for the Zohar Modifier. Seeing an opportunity to escape, the hyperdimensional being trapped inside the Zohar, which we call the "Wave Existence" "Contacted" Abel and gave him some of its power. Abel becomes the first Contact, and his existence becomes tied to the Wave Existence.

Abel was the only human survivor of the crash of the Eldridge. Yahweh's biological component fell into the sea with most of the Eldridge's stardrive section (Mahanon), and some of the nose of the hull landed mostly vertically, forming a hollow tower (Babel Tower). Some turrets also survived (Ft Jasper) Debris and tech rained down from orbit for a while, including every gear seen in the game.

Deus was majorly fucked up; but it had a plan. It initiated a system called Kadomomy, which created a human entity who was both the first Miang and the first Elly to began the regeneration process. She gave birth to emperor Cain and the Gazel Ministry, as well as the ancestors of every single "human" on the planet, except Abel. Kadomomy woman then returns to the Kadomomy reactor and dies/goes into stasis/leaves the story.

So, as a result of the Eldridge disaster, every human on the Xenogears planet isn't human, they're genetic simarculi born for the sole purpose of creating enough biomass to reconstitute Deus' biological core. One of the children that Kadomomy woman birthed was the Compliment, or as we know her Miang Hawwa. She is part of the system that guides development of society so that the biomass would be suitable. Because this is her job, every single female on Xenogears Planet has the Miang Gene, and any time a Miang dies, another woman becomes Miang, with all of her memories.

Because the Zohar is part of Deus, the Wave Existance has some ability to touch the world..and it creates a woman based on Abel's longing for his mother. This woman is the Antitype, and her existence becomes tied to the Wave Existence.

The antitype's name is always Elly. The Contact's name is always different. Throughout the ten thousand year history of the Xenogears World, they are both reincarnated by the Wave Existence to be the catalyst for freeing the Wave Existence from the Zohar.

In every lifetime, Elly has always died for the Contact.

Notable lifetimes:

The first one where they were hunted down by Cain and his men, and Elly shields the contact from the gunfire. "LIVE!"

Four thousand years before the game starts where a society called Zeboim was genetically stagnant and Elly and the Contact, this time named Kim, created a nanomachine colony that could fix genetics (Emerelda), but Miang couldn't have that, it would screw up the Kadomomy system's intent, so she had them both killed and started a nuclear war to reset the genetics of society. Elly ended up taking one for the contact again "LIVE!"

Five hundred years before the game starts where Elly, as Mother Sophia of the Nisan church, and her Contact named Lacan were fighting in a war between Shevat ( An advanced society based on part of Zeboim tech and pieces of the Eldridge, who was allied with the surface people ) and Solaris, ( The floating country run by Emperor Cain, who is still alive and the Gazel Ministry, who are sorta alive ) and suicides her flagship, the Excalibur, into the enemy forces in order to stop the war and save her people. "LIVE!"

During this Solaris-Shevat War, Bart's ancestors were made aware of the Anima Relics, which are basically pieces of Deus' system. When aligned with a gear, that gear becomes an absurdly powerful Omnigear. They were looking for them, and they found one which was used to make the gear Andvari.

Lacan is a might bit pissed off about this, and goes to seek power. What he finds is the Zohar Modifier. Since his Antitype is already dead, he couldn't fulfill his role as contact, so he got the power of the Wave Existence but only as a persona of Lacan that inhabited his body until he died...and then stole another body.. He became Grahf. (Do you desire power?)

Meanwhile, a young man who had been sent to kill Sophia who had met and befriended Sophia when she was 13 and helped her recover from a sickness, but found himself unable to..instead he was the leader of her armies. When she sacrificed herself, he refused to believe that a God that could let this happen could exist. He would create God himself. His name was Krelian, and within a few years of coming to Solaris he had the Emperor and the Gazel Ministry under his thumb. As an end result of the war, Solaris erased every surface dweller's memories of Solaris, hid themselves behind a dimensional gate, and controlled the surface dwellers into fighting each other so they would never get advanced enough to be a threat again.

About four hundred eighty years in the future, getting close to game time, Krelian is pissed off that he can't find the contact, so he used Emperor Cain's DNA to synthesize one. Ramsus becomes conscious even before being born because of his artificality and gets a slightly debilitating inferiority complex. The latest Miang dies of old age, and what do you know, the next person to become Miang is Karen Wong.

Fei..well, He's the Contact of this generation. Miang knew this, and so Miang, as Fei's mother, did some tiny, little..extraordinarly torturous experiments on him while his father, Khan was away. This released his power as a Contact and also fractured his mind, creating ID. When Grahf finds out that Fei exists, he wants to get back into what is effectively a reincarnation of his old body..and he starts attacking Khan. Karen(Miang) stands by and watches..before Fei releases his ID power, frying Grahf, but Grahf's energies were heading straight toward Fei, presumably to take him over. Karen's maternal instinct is able to push Miang out long enough to shield Fei from the blast..and she dies in his arms..Fei retreats into his own mind as the "Coward" and Id becomes the primary personality..and Grahf, denied Fei, has taken over Khan's body. With Karen Dead, Miang wakes up in a woman in her mid twenties and finds Ramsus, seducing him to gain power in one of Solaris' factions.

Now one thing about Miang and Elly. In the JP version of the game, Elly is Elehayym and Miang is Myyah Hawwa. Her name is the reverse of Elly's, omitting the "El" which presumably means god in Hebrew.

Fei evidently has another ID incident, knocking Grahf out and letting Khan take control, who as the wiseman, left Fei at Lahan Village. Since Solaris knew about Fei, they dispatched an agent Hyuuga to watch him...Hyuuga lived in Lahan as Citan Uzuki.

Grahf had a gear built with a bunch of weird components to his designs..essentially a downgraded copy of his own Omnigear, Alpha Weltall. He manipulated Gelber forces to raid the factory and steal it, and arranged for it to crash land near Lahan, knowing that Fei would be drawn to it and ID would come back out again. It worked perfectly...and that was the beginning of Xenogears. The pilot that Gelber sent to fly Weltall back to the country of Aveh? Elly.

Let me know if you want me to get more into the storyline of the game itself.
[close]

Needless to say, I've immediately put the game back on my phone and riding that fresh re-hype again.

Himu

« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2018, 05:22:57 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
It’s the ship in the beginning of the game. There’s a dungeon and you basically go through. The entire ships wreckage which is now a tower. The lifeform forms into purple hair lady who births life on the world.
[close]

Disc 2 owns
IYKYK