Author Topic: Shenmue I and II HD thread  (Read 16480 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Shenmue I and II HD thread
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2018, 03:59:43 PM »
That's what I watched and a German one  :dunno

e: also didn't digital foundry give their dumb approval too? :lol
John probably didn't play enough to encounter any of these.

This kind of shit needs to stop, but I guess the sites have got to crank out videos ASAP.  He was hyping up Onrush, too- glad I didn't fall for that shit. 
ど助平

BisMarckie

« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2018, 03:59:53 PM »
I guess I'll wait before buying this on steam tonight.  :doge

Tasty

« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2018, 04:05:36 PM »
Hoping these kinks are worked out whenever I get around to playing these, which is presumably next summer before III (but I fully believe it's not making that date anyways, so...)

Himu

« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2018, 04:11:17 PM »
Being told by other Shenmue fans that I was the only who liked analog control in II and that I should deal with it because all modern games use a run button right now. Apparently I’ve been playing a game I regularly play for the past 12 years wrong.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2018, 04:17:33 PM »
that I should deal with it because all modern games use a run button right now

:huh :confused

Are you posting on REEE again?  :doge

Oh, GAF?  What did you expect?
:neogaf
ど助平

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2018, 04:20:04 PM »
haven't tried 2 yet but 1 is 99% fine. If there isn't a fix for them today then I'm sure it'll come soon enough, but right now it plays as stable as most any other game.

except for that one cutscene y'all are talking about; that seems to fuck up for everyone lol
pcp

Himu

« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2018, 04:24:38 PM »
that I should deal with it because all modern games use a run button right now

:huh :confused

Are you posting on REEE again?  :doge

Oh, GAF?  What did you expect?
:neogaf

No Shenmue Facebook group
IYKYK

Himu

IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2018, 04:55:24 PM »
ど助平

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2018, 05:28:27 PM »
lmao these aren't overly buggy ports lol this is getting overblown
pcp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2018, 05:35:46 PM »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2018, 05:36:49 PM »
Being told by other Shenmue fans that I was the only who liked analog control in II and that I should deal with it because all modern games use a run button right now. Apparently I’ve been playing a game I regularly play for the past 12 years wrong.

It was wrong when Super Mario 3D World replaced analogue control with a wrong button, so it's probably wrong here too.

We have analogue sticks for a reason.

Tasty

« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2018, 05:39:40 PM »
Though changing it to a run button wouldn't bother me much in a walking simulator like Shenmue as much as in a 3D platformer so it's hard for me to get too worked up about it.

Himu

« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2018, 05:41:03 PM »
Let’s talk positives.

Shenmue 1 with Japanese voices might well be one of the most atmospheric games of all time. It’s not the best va but it’s still pretty dam good for its time. It just brings you so much more in the game world and it feels fantastic.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2018, 05:41:36 PM »
Though changing it to a run button wouldn't bother me much in a walking simulator like Shenmue as much as in a 3D platformer so it's hard for me to get too worked up about it.

You run a lot in Shenmue though
IYKYK

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2018, 05:42:24 PM »
Silent Hill HD collection and the ZoE HD collection amount to the definition of bad remastering. Every HD remastering or collection for games past the 360/PS3 gen has a funky taste somewhere if you look hard enough.

The MGS HD collection was immaculate and bluepoint handled it. I still would get a visual glitch in MGS2 where all the water had a digital artifact rainbow rainbow pattern. The DMC HD collection on 360/PS3 had a bug where the Royal Guard style in DMC3 wouldn't work as intended, one of the abilities straight up wouldn't work.

All my rambling aside, these ports seem serviceable, and there aren't really fucked up issues yet.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2018, 08:23:57 PM »
Working on a video with general tips and tricks for new or returning Shenmue players :heartbeat
IYKYK

daycru

« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2018, 08:49:46 PM »
Ugh might break down and buy before price drops, listening to the OST on YouTube

Himu

« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2018, 11:38:20 PM »
I’m having a blast :hyper
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #139 on: August 22, 2018, 01:00:22 AM »
Holy shit I got kids silver dural!!!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 01:45:59 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

IYKYK

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #141 on: August 22, 2018, 01:13:55 AM »
Silent Hill HD collection and the ZoE HD collection amount to the definition of bad remastering. Every HD remastering or collection for games past the 360/PS3 gen has a funky taste somewhere if you look hard enough.

The MGS HD collection was immaculate and bluepoint handled it. I still would get a visual glitch in MGS2 where all the water had a digital artifact rainbow rainbow pattern. The DMC HD collection on 360/PS3 had a bug where the Royal Guard style in DMC3 wouldn't work as intended, one of the abilities straight up wouldn't work.

All my rambling aside, these ports seem serviceable, and there aren't really fucked up issues yet.

I think most DC ports have been okay since the Dreamcast just pushed raw polygons without any weird PS2-grade Emotion Engine Vector Unit frame buffer nonsense trickery. JUST DRAW THEM POLYGONS BABY

paprikastaude

« Reply #142 on: August 22, 2018, 07:47:50 AM »
I had no problems so far except it's not possible to turn the fucking bloom off. After a few seconds it will always come back. I only tried in the ingame menu though, maybe it works if I change it straight in the opening menu.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #143 on: August 22, 2018, 07:49:02 AM »
I had no problems so far except it's not possible to turn the fucking bloom off. After a few seconds it will always come back. I only tried in the ingame menu though, maybe it works if I change it straight in the opening menu.

Seeing others saying the same thing. 
ど助平

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #145 on: August 22, 2018, 09:32:35 AM »
i want to win the home versions of the arcade games this time. i never fucking win those.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #146 on: August 22, 2018, 11:42:59 AM »
The best dates for raffle are Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, January 1-4. You’re more likely to win the raffle on those days.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #147 on: August 22, 2018, 02:18:04 PM »

Kinda aside, but did they fix that DMC3 issue? Would like to replay DMC3 someday and I love the RG parties so that sounds bad.

Himu

« Reply #148 on: August 22, 2018, 02:28:12 PM »
Also Pos, increasing your raffle win: click x (ps4) or A (Xbox, Dreamcast) to the sound of Ryo shuffling the tickets. You press the confirm button after the fifth shuffle right before the X/A icon pops up.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: August 22, 2018, 02:30:21 PM »

Kinda aside, but did they fix that DMC3 issue? Would like to replay DMC3 someday and I love the RG parties so that sounds bad.

Don't see anyone talking about a problem with Royal Guard in the PC/PS4/Xbone versions.
ど助平

Himu

IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #151 on: August 22, 2018, 04:26:19 PM »
Them people finding out you have to look at an in-game map to find out where you are.

That was one of my favourite things in the first Darkness game. To properly use the subway you gotta read the signs and there's public information displays to find your bearings. (End up watching all old cartoons on the tv in the homeless guy's shopping cart instead of going where you have to go. Think there's entire movies on it. On Jackie's birthday you can watch the entirety of To Kill a Mockingbird with his girlfriend.)

kingv

« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2018, 04:35:16 PM »
I guess i preordered this... just got a notice to pick it up st Best Buy.

Himu

« Reply #153 on: August 22, 2018, 04:41:23 PM »
Them people finding out you have to look at an in-game map to find out where you are.

That was one of my favourite things in the first Darkness game. To properly use the subway you gotta read the signs and there's public information displays to find your bearings. (End up watching all old cartoons on the tv in the homeless guy's shopping cart instead of going where you have to go. Think there's entire movies on it. On Jackie's birthday you can watch the entirety of To Kill a Mockingbird with his girlfriend.)

That sounds cool.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #154 on: August 22, 2018, 04:49:35 PM »
It's one of my favourite games from the PS3/360 era. FPS game with a heavy emphasis on storytelling. Same people that made the Chronicles of Riddick game.

Himu

« Reply #155 on: August 22, 2018, 05:01:32 PM »
It's one of my favourite games from the PS3/360 era. FPS game with a heavy emphasis on storytelling. Same people that made the Chronicles of Riddick game.

I’ll check it. Riddick is one of my favorite FPS games.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #156 on: August 22, 2018, 08:45:48 PM »
ngl i am sad they didn't work in the passport disc. i mean i knew they wouldn't, but still. i liked the online functions in those old dreamcast games; they had a lot of unique artwork.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #157 on: August 22, 2018, 09:05:15 PM »
ngl i am sad they didn't work in the passport disc. i mean i knew they wouldn't, but still. i liked the online functions in those old dreamcast games; they had a lot of unique artwork.

Yeah same. That would have been my dream scenario: Shenmue  with working passport. Being a fan that came after they shut down the servers, I never got to experience passport. Thankfully the data (character profiles) was extracted to places like Dojo so it wasn’t lost entirely. A lot of features like winning cans can’t be used without it. Speaking of winning cans, take them to tomato for a free raffle. Save em up for Christmas.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #158 on: August 22, 2018, 10:02:37 PM »
That reset thread has made my heart grow three times today. I can’t handle so many positive impressions of my favorite games!! After so long! The ridicule, the jokes, the trolls! We made it!!!! :rejoice
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #159 on: August 22, 2018, 10:14:47 PM »
i honestly thought most people would write it off real fast; I'm honestly surprised that so many people have taken to it. kinda reminds me if last year's FF12 rerelease, as both games were really ragged on at release but have since gained acceptance bc their unusual gameplay isn't so unusual anymore.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2018, 10:46:33 PM »
Sometimes you live long enough to become the hero :rejoice
IYKYK

Kurt Russell

« Reply #162 on: August 23, 2018, 03:41:24 AM »
i want to win the home versions of the arcade games this time. i never fucking win those.

I won one - never have done before. Can I actually play it?
woke

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #163 on: August 23, 2018, 07:23:16 AM »
bam got the space harrier disc fuck I'm awesome

If you check under the tv in ryo's living room you can find a Saturn. use your game disc in front of it and now you can play your game without going to the arcade!
pcp

Kurt Russell

« Reply #164 on: August 23, 2018, 08:00:47 AM »
How the fuck is there a Saturn in 1986?!
woke

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #165 on: August 23, 2018, 08:27:58 AM »
How the fuck is there a Saturn in 1986?!

Ryo's uncle's cousin's father's friend worked at Sega.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #166 on: August 23, 2018, 10:53:28 AM »
Okay so, Shenmue HD doesn’t have soft reset. How do I use money exploits in 2 quickly and quickly reset after falling off a plank?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #167 on: August 23, 2018, 11:01:41 AM »
I'm a recent Yakuza convert. 0 was my first and now I love the series

Now that I'm finally playing Shenmue, the whole "Yakuza is a better/evolved Shenmue" thing is just utterly baffling. The games couldn't be more different. It's like saying Fallout 3 is a better STALKER because they're both post-apocalyptic and have guns

Yakuza is a JRPG-esque brawler with copious amounts of combat, with insane over-the-top moments that somehow work perfectly with the emotional yakuza drama. It's fast and frenetic and flashy and everything revolves around fighting.

Shenmue is slow and sedate, a 3D visual novel/adventure game that occasionally has some combat, but is more concerned about letting you meander around town and being a slice-of-life proto-immersive sim.

The only similarities that Yakuza and Shenmue share is that they're story driven and that they happen in lively atmospheric sandboxes. Beyond that, the games are nothing alike. I don't get this continued insistence that Yakuza and Shenmue are so similar because they aren't, at all. They're practically in entirely different genres, their pace and gameplay and designs are so different

MORE_BADASS :bow
IYKYK

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #168 on: August 23, 2018, 08:15:35 PM »
Nicca just fought some schoolgirls :jeanluc
reckt

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Hi

kingv

« Reply #170 on: August 24, 2018, 10:13:30 AM »
Going to pick up from Best Buy this afternoon... but not exactly sure when I will start it. So many games coming out soon.

paprikastaude

« Reply #171 on: August 24, 2018, 10:26:49 AM »
I'm curiously digging the forklift quest, but this is also where the glitches got out of control. So far it was mostly sound glitches whose extent was bearable in contrast to the overall game time. But now the forklift bg song is bugged, it can't repeat more than a couple of times and any new event will add different kinds of broken noise until you restart the game from the PS menu.  ::) And you can't restart during the job, because you can only save afterwards. Also I just now saw that the entire training progression might be screwed up.

Admittedly, I'm still playing unpatched, since in my setup I usually keep my PS4 offline. It's funny. This is only the second offline HD game for which ever needed the day 1 patch - and it's a Dreamcast port. Christ Sega, fuck you. :picard
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 10:39:27 AM by Spieler1 »

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #172 on: August 24, 2018, 01:34:13 PM »
Widescreen cutscenes are now bugged :beli gonna wait for patch
reckt

Himu

« Reply #173 on: August 24, 2018, 01:40:46 PM »
I'm curiously digging the forklift quest, but this is also where the glitches got out of control. So far it was mostly sound glitches whose extent was bearable in contrast to the overall game time. But now the forklift bg song is bugged, it can't repeat more than a couple of times and any new event will add different kinds of broken noise until you restart the game from the PS menu.  ::) And you can't restart during the job, because you can only save afterwards. Also I just now saw that the entire training progression might be screwed up.

Admittedly, I'm still playing unpatched, since in my setup I usually keep my PS4 offline. It's funny. This is only the second offline HD game for which ever needed the day 1 patch - and it's a Dreamcast port. Christ Sega, fuck you. :picard

Get the patch.

And the job is relaxing and fun as shit. I like to maximize my profits and beat the quota every day.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #174 on: August 24, 2018, 01:41:31 PM »
Disc 3 is the best part of the game. The mix of investigation and action with mundanity is Shenmue incarnate. Fantastic section and if you like that you're safe down the rest of the road.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #175 on: August 24, 2018, 02:56:04 PM »
Here's some positivity for this negative thread.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
You might get a kick out of the like/dislike ratio on the vid Cindi.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #176 on: August 24, 2018, 03:12:14 PM »
my problem with all these impressions and reviews is there's nothing on the superior game: shenmue II. In today, when Shenmue Ii is bundled, no one talks about it. :tocry Because Shenmue 1 is such a massive fucking litmus test to pass to even get to it.

My opinion can be summarized as follows: judging Shenmue franchise as a whole solely via 1 makes you a dumb fuck.
IYKYK

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #177 on: August 24, 2018, 03:30:07 PM »
my problem with all these impressions and reviews is there's nothing on the superior game: shenmue II. In today, when Shenmue Ii is bundled, no one talks about it. :tocry Because Shenmue 1 is such a massive fucking litmus test to pass to even get to it.

My opinion can be summarized as follows: judging Shenmue franchise as a whole solely via 1 makes you a dumb fuck.

I'd say this is the case because Shenmue 2 in the United States was officially released on OG Xbox in 2002. Shenmue 1 is a quintessential part of any Dreamcast collection. Shenmue 1 got a lot more exposure due to circumstance.

Shenmue 2 was critically acclaimed at the time I believe. I played Shenmue 2 first, and it was difficult playing Shenmue 1 the first time due to that.

OH!

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #178 on: August 24, 2018, 03:34:24 PM »
Importing the Shenmue 2 Euro version on Dreamcast  :snob

A CD-R with Utopia written on it in black marker :snob
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2018, 03:40:13 PM »
I also imported.

But even now no one talks about II. Read the reviews. It's all Shenmue I.
IYKYK