Author Topic: Shenmue I and II HD thread  (Read 16471 times)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Re: Shenmue I and II HD thread
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2018, 02:09:13 PM »
Why the hell would anyone want to play the game with the japanese audio and not the superior english one.

Himu

« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2018, 02:18:53 PM »
:lol
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2018, 02:21:36 PM »
Why the hell would anyone want to play the game with the japanese audio and not the superior english one.

ど助平

Himu

« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2018, 02:26:52 PM »
Lucky hit is fun as shit
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2018, 05:34:20 PM »
https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1031391295732768768?s=19

99% of the reason I'm hyped for this rerelease is so i never have to hear this shit again
pcp

BisMarckie

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2018, 05:36:53 PM »
The crummy voice acting was the only fun I could get out of Shenmue I.
Tom and military surplus guy :lawd

Don't kill me Cindi.  :doge

Himu

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2018, 05:37:46 PM »
Shenmue in Japanese :rejoice
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2018, 08:48:57 PM »
just preordered on psn and there's a timer that stops three hours from now. does that mean I'll be able to play it then?
pcp

Himu

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2018, 08:50:46 PM »
Yeah.

Are you going to give I another shot or just jump straight to II da GOAT?
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2018, 08:56:47 PM »
i wanna play 1 again, especially since stuff carries over this time. might even go crazy and aim for all collectables.
pcp

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2018, 04:11:11 AM »
Hi

Svejk

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2018, 08:21:57 AM »
Since we got approximately a year till S3, I'm gonna wait on this.

daycru

« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2018, 09:14:15 AM »
https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1031391295732768768?s=19

99% of the reason I'm hyped for this rerelease is so i never have to hear this shit again
Holy shit

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2018, 10:25:02 AM »

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2018, 11:07:19 AM »
I was gonna play it in Japanese, but Ive grown attached to the English dub for some reason. The Japanese dub is definitely better, but it just brings back a lot of memories playing Shenmue in English.

Im actually enjoying Shenmue 1 a lot more than  i thought I would. Must be going on 10 years ago when I played and beat it. I beat Shenmue 2 on OG Zbox around 2005.
OH!

BisMarckie

« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2018, 11:09:44 AM »
I played Shenmue when it came out and thought it did some interesting stuff but hated playing it.
Then I watched the GB Endurance Run and I want to go back to it. :doge

I am probably buying it on steam tonight when I don't have anything to do tonight.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2018, 11:26:53 AM »
Well, I did my part Cindi.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2018, 11:47:44 AM »
must find sailors
pcp

Himu

« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2018, 11:56:27 AM »
I played an hour.

I can’t believe it.

I was going to speed it and get to the sailors immediately but was so transfixed with the details in hd that I just forgot about the time and mixed Liu’s Barbershop.

My only issues so far:

Echo voices
Bloom (turned it off)
Black darks (turn up the contrast but not too much)
Lack of full analog movement like in Shenmue II for I for which is baffling.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2018, 12:02:12 PM »
Holy shit just tried II and the controls are a massive downgrade from the Dreamcast and Xbox versions. You can only run with the run button?! Why?! Also the cutscenes for II are so fucking small it’s immersion breaking.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2018, 12:11:16 PM »
remember, day one patch should be released in a few hours.

having a blast so far but i need to slow down. it's noon on the third day and I'm already looking for sailors lol.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2018, 12:14:14 PM »
You’re doing fine. I can get to the point where you look for Charlie on the first day. You’re fine.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2018, 12:29:48 PM »
1.01 isn’t the day one patch?
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2018, 12:32:20 PM »
oh maybe it is. i assumed there'd be a patch out today bc they were talking about one, and my game hasn't updated at all.
pcp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2018, 02:14:00 PM »
This just arrived.  Wondering if I should return it- checked out footage of the port and it just looks so dated and boring.  I want it for my collection and $29 is cheap though...although I was would probably rather have this on PC to try as a portable game.  Decisions. :thinking
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2018, 02:23:27 PM »
If you’re going to play it, then play. I don’t want to read about your bitching when you bought it when you don’t even like Shenmue.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2018, 02:24:46 PM »
This just arrived.  Wondering if I should return it- checked out footage of the port and it just looks so dated and boring.  I want it for my collection and $29 is cheap though...although I was would probably rather have this on PC to try as a portable game.  Decisions. :thinking
:ufup  Just keep it and don't open it.  If you sell it now, you'll only end up buying it again down the road... you know you will... especially when S3 hype stirs up again.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2018, 02:26:39 PM »
> he buys games and doesnt play them

:girlaff
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2018, 02:27:52 PM »
:ufup  Just keep it and don't open it.  If you sell it now, you'll only end up buying it again down the road... you know you will... especially when S3 hype stirs up again.

It's just a question of keeping it or waiting for it to hit $20.  :)

> he buys games and doesnt play them

:girlaff

I collect games too.
:snob
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2018, 02:31:41 PM »

I know I am.  :heh

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2018, 02:32:10 PM »

I know I am.  :heh
:heyman
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2018, 02:46:04 PM »
The more I think of what they did with II the more I feel disappointed. II is my absolute favorite game and I can’t believe it has small ass cutscenes and downgraded controls and this is being sold as an upgrade.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2018, 02:54:49 PM »
Am seeing reports of freezing issues all over the place in Shenmue 1.  Did they really fuck this up that badly?
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2018, 03:04:14 PM »
picked this up, don't tell me it's shit now  :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2018, 03:05:30 PM »
picked this up, don't tell me it's shit now  :lol

And over on PC...

:lol

Will wait for the patch that will hopefully release today to see about keeping it. 
ど助平

BisMarckie

« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2018, 03:08:48 PM »

And over on PC...

(Image removed from quote.)

Can't wait until people find out that the PC version of Shenmue is running nullDC or some other old ass Dreamcast emulator code  :lol

:thinking

Himu

« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2018, 03:09:03 PM »
That looks like nulldc emulation which happens on nulldc
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2018, 03:09:37 PM »
I've played 1 for a few hours and the only glitch I've seen is some dropped sound effects. did hear about some crashing tho.
pcp

Svejk

« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2018, 03:16:35 PM »
That looks like nulldc emulation which happens on nulldc
That's EXACTLY what it must be. lol  Speaking of, the latest Reicast update runs this decently in widescreen now.  I may just do that for the time being.  :doge

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2018, 03:17:59 PM »
My PS4 version had glitched cutscenes. Camera once got stuck in a cupboard. Another time only a few assets loaded. Was looking at a void with only a few walls and the piggybank flying in mid-air.

Kurt Russell

« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2018, 03:19:20 PM »

I was on version 1.01 on Saturday. I'm wondering where this new patch has gotten to. I'm sure a bunch of cut scenes that I remember are AWOL, the dark is TOO dark and it still sounds like they're talking to each other through baked bean cans and pieces of string. GRRRRRRR.

I've played 1 for a few hours and the only glitch I've seen is some dropped sound effects. did hear about some crashing tho.

The entire cut scene where
spoiler (click to show/hide)
fukusan gives Ryu money for a boat
[close]
just played as a grey screen. I could hear the dialog but that's it - I had to try and
spoiler (click to show/hide)
smash his piggy bank
[close]
without being able to see what I was doing....
woke

Himu

« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2018, 03:20:57 PM »
I hate being a Shenmue fan. Today was supposed to be a celebration. It’s the first Shenmue release since 2002. Instead we get a re-release with downgrades and bugs and a new trailer for III which will probably suck. The Buddha was right: life truly is suffering.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2018, 03:21:34 PM »

I was on version 1.01 on Saturday. I'm wondering where this new patch has gotten to. I'm sure a bunch of cut scenes that I remember are AWOL, the dark is TOO dark and it still sounds like they're talking to each other through baked bean cans and pieces of string. GRRRRRRR.

1.01 reportedly IS the day one patch.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2018, 03:22:21 PM »
So should we not buy this out of spite now and stick with our originals
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2018, 03:26:26 PM »
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2018, 03:26:36 PM »
I DONT KNOW :tocry
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2018, 03:27:52 PM »
I hate being a Shenmue fan. Today was supposed to be a celebration. It’s the first Shenmue release since 2002. Instead we get a re-release with downgrades and bugs and a new trailer for III which will probably suck. The Buddha was right: life truly is suffering.

That sucks, Himu- Know you were hyped and it looks like the bugs/port quality here really deflated it.  Dunno about III since they still haven't really shown much.

:-\
ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2018, 03:28:27 PM »
They just made it a modern game. It's like any of the Assassin's Creed games now.

Kurt Russell

woke

Himu

« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2018, 03:32:48 PM »

That sucks, Himu- Know you were hyped and it looks like the bugs/port quality here really deflated it.  Dunno about III since they still haven't really shown much.

:-\

I don’t know how to feel tbh. On one hand Shenmue first releasensince 2002. On the other hand my standards and expectations were low as it is and they haven’t even been met.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2018, 03:33:38 PM »
Himu, is this true?

Quote from: Krejlooc, post: 11718920, member: 12790
In terms of rpg structure, shenmue I is the town, shenmue 2 is a series of dungeons. Shenmue I is all about building your character, building up his inventory (yes, those small plastic toys can be important) and leveling up your moves. Train as much as possible, it pays off in shenmue 2.

If its not obvious, training levels up individual moves in shenmue, which alters them and makes them do more damage, more attacks, etc.

A big part of shenmue 2 is an underground fighting tournament that has fights you can continuously go back to, but by the time that rolls around you dont have the ability to train your moves quite the same, so put in your work in shenmue 1.

A lot of the more mundane things you can optionally do in shenmue 1, dont really pay off until shenmue 2.

Makes me want to play both games if so.
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2018, 03:34:15 PM »
I only watched 2 reviews prior and they didn't report any of this except the stamp-tier cutscenes in 2. But I think they were talking about PS4.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2018, 03:36:07 PM »
I only watched 2 reviews prior and they didn't report any of this except the stamp-tier cutscenes in 2. But I think they were talking about PS4.

It's hard to tell with some of these reviews.  Like this guy just gushes about it:

But that's kind of his thing and he does that for every game.   :lol
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2018, 03:37:27 PM »
People are saying there is supposed to be another patch today.
ど助平

Kurt Russell

« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2018, 03:37:33 PM »
My memory is hazy, because 20 years, but when you're sparring, is it not supposed to display the sequence required to execute the move you're practising?

I got asked to practice a move with fukusan earlier and all he gave me was the title of the move. I had no visual prompts of how to execute it and for some reason, could not access the menu to view the steps. So pretty fucking useless tbh. Is this a bug or an omission? I don't remember having this issue before.
woke

paprikastaude

« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2018, 03:41:18 PM »

It's hard to tell with some of these reviews.  Like this guy just gushes about it:

But that's kind of his thing and he does that for every game.   :lol

That's what I watched and a German one  :dunno

e: also didn't digital foundry give their dumb approval too? :lol
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 03:47:27 PM by Spieler1 »

Himu

« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2018, 03:52:36 PM »
Himu, is this true?

Quote from: Krejlooc, post: 11718920, member: 12790
In terms of rpg structure, shenmue I is the town, shenmue 2 is a series of dungeons. Shenmue I is all about building your character, building up his inventory (yes, those small plastic toys can be important) and leveling up your moves. Train as much as possible, it pays off in shenmue 2.

If its not obvious, training levels up individual moves in shenmue, which alters them and makes them do more damage, more attacks, etc.

A big part of shenmue 2 is an underground fighting tournament that has fights you can continuously go back to, but by the time that rolls around you dont have the ability to train your moves quite the same, so put in your work in shenmue 1.

A lot of the more mundane things you can optionally do in shenmue 1, dont really pay off until shenmue 2.

Makes me want to play both games if so.

Yeah it’s on the mark.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2018, 03:53:35 PM »
Idk if I’m being ungrateful or if I just have standards
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2018, 03:55:13 PM »
Idk if I’m being ungrateful or if I just have standards

I mean, by a lot of accounts it's a bug-filled mess of a port, so I don't see why you wouldn't be disappointed.  Here's hoping they fix it- I wanted Shenmue II with Japanese language again.  :(
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2018, 03:58:28 PM »
That's what I watched and a German one  :dunno

e: also didn't digital foundry give their dumb approval too? :lol
John probably didn't play enough to encounter any of these.