Author Topic: Shenmue I and II HD thread  (Read 16486 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Re: Shenmue I and II HD thread
« Reply #181 on: August 24, 2018, 06:14:36 PM »
I sorta get why people focus on one so much though. You need to get through it to get to 2. 2 might be better overall, but let's be honest, if driving a forklift didn't do it for you in 1, you're not going to love "airing out books" in 2.
que

Tasty

« Reply #182 on: August 24, 2018, 07:16:08 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #185 on: August 25, 2018, 09:17:24 AM »
The official Sega brand VGA boxes sell for more, but not that high.  Looks like the last one sold for like $159.  But knock-offs can be had on the cheap. 

Another head-scratcher are Nintendo Game Cube component cables.   :lol  I still have mine plus the box they came in...wonder if I could get $300 for them?
:phil
ど助平

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #186 on: August 25, 2018, 06:52:19 PM »
so right before Ryo gets a job is when i should wrap up everything i want to do, right? iirc the game is basically a straight shot to the end after that.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #187 on: August 25, 2018, 07:56:43 PM »
so right before Ryo gets a job is when i should wrap up everything i want to do, right? iirc the game is basically a straight shot to the end after that.

Yes. Wrap it up before Asia travel co.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #188 on: August 25, 2018, 10:21:33 PM »
positive did you catch these scenes

You talk to them when you get the phoenix mirror.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #189 on: August 25, 2018, 10:58:47 PM »
yup got all three. first time seeing the one in the park. also didn't know that you can get info on the legends behind the password from some of the older Chinese townspeople. there's just so many nice little optional conversations (tho i do wish someone had compiled a guide or something so i can look over them all later).
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #190 on: August 25, 2018, 11:00:38 PM »
I'm gonna procrastinate in-game for awhile bc i want to see Christmas and the new year. got over a week till Christmas so there's gonna be a loooot of time to kill.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #191 on: August 25, 2018, 11:05:22 PM »
yup got all three. first time seeing the one in the park. also didn't know that you can get info on the legends behind the password from some of the older Chinese townspeople. there's just so many nice little optional conversations (tho i do wish someone had compiled a guide or something so i can look over them all later).

Shenmue 1 is a game that keeps giving. It's easily my most replayed game for that reason even though I think 2 is the better game. There's so many scenes that add to the overall mythos and lore of the series. Or scenes that help give the story extra flavor and depth that can be easily missed. You could argue that these scenes shouldn't be optional but the fact they can be missed gives the game a more delicate flavor. And that's without mentioning side stories like Kurita and Yuriko, or all the NPC's. I fucking love this game.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #192 on: August 25, 2018, 11:07:01 PM »
What did you make of the scenes and what do you think it means for the overall lore and mythos behind the mirrors now that you've seen those scenes and played II?
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #193 on: August 26, 2018, 12:39:24 AM »
way back in the day i imagined it meant the series would go into some supernatural shit, like Ryo fighting an actual dragon :lol seeing it now makes me feel like it's just setting up the ryo v lan di fight is all.
pcp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #194 on: August 26, 2018, 10:35:09 AM »

OK, now I see why Jim is getting so much hatemail.  :lol  He shat all over the first game.

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/1033437684084035584
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #195 on: August 26, 2018, 10:38:05 AM »
Check last page
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #196 on: August 29, 2018, 01:44:40 AM »
Fucker.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #197 on: August 29, 2018, 02:08:56 AM »

IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #198 on: August 29, 2018, 02:15:00 AM »
My darts score was like 500. Suck my dick.

Himu

« Reply #199 on: August 29, 2018, 02:21:10 AM »
I missed the triple. Fuck you.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #200 on: September 19, 2018, 06:49:04 AM »
There's a new patch. Hopefully it actually fixed some shit.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #201 on: October 09, 2018, 09:49:42 PM »
Man, this is a slow start, Himu.

People weren't kidding about asking random strangers on the street about "have you seen <subject>?" "No, sorry." "Oh, alright then. :fbm " pecking.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #202 on: October 09, 2018, 11:19:05 PM »
People weren't kidding about asking random strangers on the street about "have you seen <subject>?" "No, sorry." "Oh, alright then. :fbm " pecking.

Gon - Everyday, without neglect, to keep training

Himu

« Reply #203 on: October 10, 2018, 12:09:08 AM »
Man, this is a slow start, Himu.

It gets better. Talk to Nozomi and Tom starting out. Nozomi is the pretty school girl with the red skirt and atom is the black guy dancing next to a food truck. There’s three hierarchies of NPCs: story, story personal, and non-story. Every npc has a name and backstory. The ones that say,”don’t bother me” or “maybe some other time” aren’t story critical. They have backstories but they’re there for flavor. Then there’s story personal characters like Nozomi or Naoyuki, Ryo’s friend with the motorcycle. These are characters who are personal to Ryo’s character and can give clues on what to do in the story. Find these characters. They don’t even have to be really close to Ryo like say Kurita (guy at the army surplus shop), but they’ll point you in the right direction. Then there’s story characters who might appear once in the story that you won’t encounter again in the plot but you might see hanging out in town. They’ll usually just tell Ryo something story appropriate like fuck off  You’ll get used to who is who eventually.

Essentially the point is DON’T talk to random strangers. Or if you do, don’t expect to get anything out of it. Find the relationships and how they relate to Ryo.

As for the pacing, the beginning is very slow. But trust me, it pays off. It’s a slow burn game.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #204 on: October 10, 2018, 01:46:25 AM »
I'm already up to "find Charlie." I didn't save before hand, so lost the chance of getting "Freeloader" (since apparently shift+tab in the Steam-overlay has it auto-back out, WTF?) so I had to redo things to get that chance again. I can definitely see Dunkey (or was it Jim Sterling?)'s complaint about the waiting around for the next-bit of story to happen.

*chain two story events back to back*->"Find the Sailors"->Go to the bar at around 6. "Nope, we're not open, come back later." *Go to the Jazz Bar like five minutes after, then go back.* "Oh hey, suddenly we're open!"

Honestly, I'm not talking to ANYONE at this point if they don't seem like they're going to point me toward a story bit. I think I've ran into one random side-quest, and that's the old lady finding a house quest. I haven't seen anything else beyond a kid wanting me to give them 100yen.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 01:50:27 AM by thisismyusername »

Himu

« Reply #205 on: October 10, 2018, 01:48:03 AM »
Go to the arcade, collect toys. It’s like animal crossing.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #206 on: October 10, 2018, 10:49:26 PM »
Well, after a bunch of hassle. I'm up to revisiting the Chinese Master. Got like 26 or 50 or so Gacha's and can't spend below 400Yen apparently. :doge

Himu

« Reply #207 on: October 10, 2018, 11:23:54 PM »
Well, after a bunch of hassle. I'm up to revisiting the Chinese Master. Got like 26 or 50 or so Gacha's and can't spend below 400Yen apparently. :doge

Can’t spend helps 400?
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #208 on: October 10, 2018, 11:25:28 PM »

Can’t spend helps 400?

No, I have 400¥ in cash on-hand. But when I try to Gacha or whatever, it won't let me. "I shouldn't waste my money."

Himu

« Reply #209 on: October 10, 2018, 11:36:23 PM »
Damn you really spent that money. Did you buy any moves?
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #210 on: October 11, 2018, 12:23:36 AM »
Damn you really spent that money. Did you buy any moves?

Yeah all the ones in the antique store. Learned them. The only one I don't "know" off-hand that is a scroll is that Chinese one. The rest of my cash has been going to Gacha (3-4 a day), otherwise.

paprikastaude

« Reply #211 on: October 13, 2018, 03:16:15 PM »
Even with the patch, Shenmue 2 still has auto-bloom and sound errors  :gurl Then the game froze in the animation for losing arm wrestling :beli Fucking Sega.

thisismyusername

« Reply #212 on: October 13, 2018, 05:56:13 PM »
Well, got up to the ticket part. I so know this company is stringing Ryo along and it's so very annoying I have to wait "until tomorrow" 2-3 days in a row for this to happen so I can get to the end game. :beli

thisismyusername

« Reply #213 on: October 14, 2018, 07:45:46 PM »
Finished the first one. That 70 man battle wasn't so bad. But the last boss was a little annoying because the camera sucks ass. :lol

Over-all? I wouldn't say it's a bad game like everyone around here slags it for, but the fact that you're waiting for about 80% of the story (Theme song of the game: ), especially toward the end is seriously seriously annoying. I've heard that 2 at least allows you to skip the waiting part and get to the next bit of story, so this complaint should at least be mitigated there.

The gacha? Eh... The arcade? Only two games (well 5-6 if you include the non-Sega games I guess and do the QTE practice), otherwise you're training your moves for the horrible combat segments and QTE'ing. So... yeah... it's aged kinda badly. If Shenmue 3 (or 2) doesn't drastically overhaul itself in regards to the Sandbox environment (giving some quests beyond that Missing kitty and old-woman quest)/things to do if they're going to force you to wait and battle/combat, it's going to get some serious flak from the public for being "stuck in the old ways."

I haven't played Yakuza (waiting for Kiwami to hit PC if it ever does), so I can't say wither or not the spiritual "sequel" does things better or not.

Himu

« Reply #214 on: October 14, 2018, 08:08:36 PM »
2 is much better than 1.

2 has duck races, Street fighting, more arcade games, dart duels with npcs, more side quests, a better story, and a larger sandbox.

2 is pretty much why Shenmue still has a fandom today. 1 is great but no one asked for a sequel to 1, they asked for a sequel to 2. 2 is one of the best sequels ever.

As for Yakuza, the games are in completely different genres and isn’t even a spiritual sequel. The only reason they get compared is because they star Asian dudes in Asian cities and that they’re both made by Sega. At that point you might as well compare Star Wars to Indiana Jones just because they made by Lucasfilm. Shenmue is about slow build up in a classic Kung fu film sort of way. In many classic Hong Kong kung fu films they might have only one fight. The 36th chamber of shaolin has maybe two fights total. The bulk of the story is about the main characters growth as a martial artist and individual. Shenmue is like that. Yakuza is more like a John Woo or Jackie Chan movie where it’s less about that growth but cool ass set pieces with big fights. The problem is that Shenmue betrays peoples expectations for a video game and what a video game should be. So they don’t care about the character exploration and lore which to be fair Shenmue takes an entire game to get to. They want more of the Jackie chan ass kicking since it’s a revenge story and that’s what they want out of a video game. The only reason they’re compared and people say it’s a better Shenmue is 1. The reasons above, 2. They want to troll Shenmue fans which is pretty easy, and 3. Their own haphazard expectations of what they think Shenmue should be rather than accept what it is - a kung fu adventure game.

There’s also 4. They’re distinguished mentally-challenged fellows
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 08:19:06 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #215 on: October 15, 2018, 10:06:01 AM »

Himu

« Reply #216 on: October 15, 2018, 10:27:20 AM »
Holy shit
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #217 on: October 16, 2018, 07:05:51 PM »
Well, started the second one on Sunday, I think. I'm up to airing the books out, which apparently is the start of the second disc. Seems to be going MUCH faster than the first one. Probably because they don't ask me to wait until tomorrow. Plus, people will walk you (very slowly, though  :doge ) to your destinations if you ask.

I'm enjoying this one a bit more than the first one, though it still has the "lack of things" to do (only two part-time jobs, 4 arcade games beyond the QTE's and Gacha) that the first had.

Himu

« Reply #218 on: October 16, 2018, 07:10:13 PM »
Have you played darts duels?

Have done Fangmei’s birthday?

Idk I find it fun as shit. Unlock duck racing.

http://shenmue.neoseeker.com/wiki/Duck_Racing
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #219 on: October 17, 2018, 06:42:53 PM »
I liked the forklift in 1, but all activities in 2 are trash  :holeup The amount would be adequate enough to heighten the immersion of city life, but actually playing arm wrestling is straight out of the worst Rareware hell, new box lifting is less exciting than even training in the first game, then there's gambling which is always shit in games.

Himu

« Reply #220 on: October 17, 2018, 06:48:37 PM »
Box lifting sucks. Don’t do it.

I like gambling. Lucky Hit is fun as shit. You don’t like playing that?

I like collecting toys and pawning them off which makes lucky hit even more fun. Trying to get specific rare toys in lucky hit stands and completing a set is fun af and addictive to me.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #221 on: October 17, 2018, 06:50:01 PM »
They even put secret martial art moves in lucky hit.

Fuck yes. The Gawd.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #222 on: October 17, 2018, 07:04:58 PM »
I dare you guys to beat this guy.

He can be found at Blue Sky bar at the warehouse district in Aberdeen. Go up the stairs near he dock workers office and have a blast. He owns and playing him is fun af.

There’s also gambling dens around the corner. Good money.

There’s also this fight which is hidden.

This fight is the hardest in the series and it’s great.

Then there’s this.

Shenmue II has lots to do. It just won’t coddle you. Find it yourself.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #223 on: October 17, 2018, 10:45:09 PM »
I liked the forklift in 1, but all activities in 2 are trash  :holeup The amount would be adequate enough to heighten the immersion of city life, but actually playing arm wrestling is straight out of the worst Rareware hell, new box lifting is less exciting than even training in the first game, then there's gambling which is always shit in games.

I dunno, I had no problem with the box lifting (outside of LEFT LEFT LEFT [accidentally hit LEFT one more time]). Neither the books (though I never completed it fully).

Gambling was a mixed bag. I didn't mind Lucky Hit (though you can't fully look down the board to try to "plan" your run), but that one dice game that is high/low was a bit "uh" since Sega never translated the board. Once you knew what the high-low was, it was ok but tedious.

I just did box lifting to get the 500 and whatever I needed for the scrolls. Now I'll probably have to do the high/low to get like 1,000 to get the last five scrolls to get the "Master" achievement.

I'm up to Kowloon now. Joy seemed very throw-away. Like, what was the purpose beyond TITS AND MOTORCYCLE! :doge

Himu

« Reply #224 on: October 18, 2018, 12:14:02 AM »
Joy sucks.

And you can look down the board with dpad before letting the ball drop.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #225 on: October 18, 2018, 09:54:13 AM »
I dunno, I had no problem with the box lifting (outside of LEFT LEFT LEFT [accidentally hit LEFT one more time]).

The problem is that it's boredom destilled. I liked the QTE stuff in the first, but this and armwrestling is the worst of QTE. Lucky Hit I've had enough of after a single session of doing it parttime.

Himu

« Reply #226 on: October 18, 2018, 10:54:43 AM »
Never play lucky hit part time. Just play the stand. Give lucky hit another try. Try the ones in South Carmian qtr where Jianmin is.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #227 on: October 20, 2018, 01:04:43 AM »
Well, I'm up to the caged Kung Fu master to save Joy. The numerous QTE's is starting to wear on me. Double-so with them being in the middle of a fight. So dumb. I can follow the QTE (Left, Left, X) and somehow still fail, which is WTF. I guess because the QTE is coded for 30FPS?

Beat him round one. Get up to the second, and fail again. So at this point I'm calling it a night. But if the rest of this assault is these stupid-ass "command" QTE's, Sega can fuck off.

Himu

« Reply #228 on: October 20, 2018, 01:36:52 AM »
Shenmue II HD is based on the Xbox version which has its share of input lag when it comes to qte. Doing things like planks is much harder on on IIx than IIdc.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #229 on: October 20, 2018, 01:33:53 PM »
Finished.

I feel like the last bit could've been excised and the cliff-hanger at Kowloon would've been better than the cliffhanger in the cave. :lol

The last bit is so slow though. Like... why can't Ryo and Shenhua reach the village a lot faster than they do? Just pointless padding, IMO.

I didn't unlock any of the events you were talking about, so... but it's whatever to me. Story-wise, I'm kinda torn about since the presentation was clearly spent here compared to the first, but at the same time with this cliffhanger it's like "well, will he actually finish this 'saga' with the third one or will he cliffhanger it a third damn time and never finish it a la Half-Life 3?"

I'd probably be pissed if I didn't know Shenmue 3 was happening, though. Lan Di is only featured for like 10 minutes, and the girl in the boxart is only featured for like 1-3 hours max. :lol

Himu

« Reply #230 on: October 20, 2018, 02:40:21 PM »
I feel like the last bit could've been excised and the cliff-hanger at Kowloon would've been better than the cliffhanger in the cave. :lol

Shenmue would be dead if not for the Guilin section. The Kowloon area isn’t finite but it’s more open ended. Ryo wins after struggle, and heads off into the sunset. Guilin area has Ryo open up more than he ever has, has incredible Shenmue lore (literally) and ends on an amazing cliff hanger. It also gives a preview of III. The Guilin section had so much mystery and questions that it kept the Shenmue fanbase afloat for nearly ten years.

Personally, I think disc four (Guilin) is one of the most ballsy ways to end a video game I’ve ever seen. They could have ended it in Kowloon and it’d end like any video game where the hero wins and rides into the sunset. Instead, you get a three hour epilogue that rewards players for two games of build up and slow burn. The Guilin section is my favorite section of a game. It's so beautiful in its contrast to the rest of the series with its sights and sounds. The fateful meeting, the ambient music, the conversations, the easy-going tone of it, the mystery of the stone cave. It melded with the rest of the game so well thematically. Urban vs rural; the physical vs mystical; patience vs impatience. It works even better as a point of contrast after coming from the urban jungle of Kowloon and by the end of it, Dobuita and Hazuki Dojo feel a world away. I just love it so much and Shenmue II would be a lesser game without it I think. Without it, it’s just a great game to me. With it, it’s my favorite game of all time. An actual video game epic :rejoice

I love how it hints or makes you question if Ryo is becoming more in tune with nature and embracing the spiritual side of martial arts rather than embrace martial arts for revenge. You can maybe get a sense of greater inner peace growing inside of him as he does tai chi that he learned watching from Jianmin.

The music :lawd

« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 02:44:34 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #231 on: October 20, 2018, 04:49:28 PM »
I disagree. Because like you said: If it ended in Kowloon, the cliffhanger/wait for 3 wouldn't have mattered. They could hint about the journey, but it never being completed would've been alright. Ryo stopped Lan Di from getting the mysterious martial arts master. Case closed, fanfiction for the last 16 entries of Suzuki's "saga" from fans here.

Now if they included the village at the opening for 3, I feel that would've been better than going "ok, we did an assault. When is the game over now?" Because at that point 1) I couldn't really care about the girl and 2) I still wanted to get my fight with Lan Di on.