Author Topic: ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS - Thread of Gaming Zen  (Read 209520 times)

Tasty

Re: ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS - Thread of Gaming Zen
« Reply #900 on: March 26, 2020, 09:04:05 PM »
How do you build more bridges? I built the first bridge and the option disappeared from DIY menu.

Resident Services upgrade.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
definitely gonna need gamecube bridges, glad I’ve been hoarding resources
[close]

168,000 bells per GC-style bridge! There are some that look super fancy and cost even more but I'm not 'bout that life. :asuka

Meanwhile third room upgrade is like 500k+. :lol Guess I'm building a few bridges and ramps before I get my fourth room.

Unless storage becomes a big issue...
[close]

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #901 on: March 26, 2020, 09:24:24 PM »
I’m real close to my fourth room, almost had it but the cranny closed too early haha

Tasty

« Reply #902 on: March 26, 2020, 09:54:42 PM »
Had to chew out my own 11-y/o niece tonight for time traveling :fbm

I swear it's not in our blood :cenk

Tasty

« Reply #903 on: March 26, 2020, 09:57:13 PM »
I’m real close to my fourth room, almost had it but the cranny closed too early haha

How the fuck are you getting so much money lmao

Not jealous but lowkey jealous
[close]

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #904 on: March 26, 2020, 10:10:19 PM »
king which one are you? I’m sitting on a load of it, how much u need? Fly over if u want it

©@©™

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #905 on: March 26, 2020, 10:27:21 PM »

How the fuck are you getting so much money lmao

Not jealous but lowkey jealous
[close]

Really cleaned up on stonks and uh play time ... it’s grinding

Tasty

« Reply #906 on: March 26, 2020, 10:33:28 PM »
I wish I had more money to invest in stonks last Sunday. Spent so much on my mortgage and grinding other upgrades. :( In a way it paid off, I got the resident services upgrade a day early seems like, but now I don't even have much money going into this next Sunday... but I guess two days could make a big difference.

I'm also a big bitch and just want my goddamn perfect town vision implemented ASAP so I can fall into my normal daily AC loop and zen out, lol.

But I do love being engaged this much this early. Having so much to do at any given time is a blessing, not a curse, even if it's hard to see that at times. :P

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #907 on: March 26, 2020, 10:38:28 PM »
Yeah I had a day or two last week where working for an evil corporation during a pandemic stopped my progress, so I am behind you on the center stuff but hey, come by tomorrow and get some new clothes :)

Btw I’ve already got a few dupe fossils and will be saving them if peeps have gaps later mebbe we can trade

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #908 on: March 26, 2020, 11:17:45 PM »
Oh emperor butterflies too, these blue beauts are goin 3.2k

Himu

« Reply #909 on: March 26, 2020, 11:47:58 PM »
Emperor Butterflies and Man Faced Beetles are easy to get, plentiful, and give lots of cash.

I'm going to grind the the getaway island tonight.
IYKYK

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>

Tasty

« Reply #911 on: March 27, 2020, 12:48:56 AM »
:dead

Himu

« Reply #912 on: March 27, 2020, 01:01:39 AM »
:sabu
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #913 on: March 27, 2020, 02:17:17 AM »
Man, I grinded manila clams and created so much fishing bait tonight. I have to say, I'm not enjoying fishing in this. It's one of my favorite activities in all of the Animal Crossing's I've played (never played the first, Wild World was my first :3) but it's not fun to me in this one. I never get anything besides Bass. All of the fish I'm catching are things I've caught in the past week. Tonight I did catch a tuna and that's it. In the past it felt like fish that were rare were certainly rare but not impossible to get or find. I haven't seen a single marlin or oarfish. Then I only have three or so days to catch the stringfish. They've turned one of the most - if not THE most soothing - aspect of Animal Crossing into a total grind fest. It fucking sucks. Only real complaint now aside from the tools' shelf life. Previous games struck a better balance between being rare and rewarding to find.
IYKYK

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #914 on: March 27, 2020, 07:05:06 AM »
I thought I was the only one getting a bunch of Sea Bass. I have managed two sharks but besides that it's pretty repetitive.
itm

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #916 on: March 27, 2020, 08:10:48 AM »
When im done with the 3ds version im gonna get a switch + this game

See you in a few years then?

Yeah or a few months, this game looks super cool. And it looks pretty different from New Leaf!
What

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #917 on: March 27, 2020, 08:19:42 AM »
Maybe it's the different hemisphere/season, but I'm finding the rare/giant fish way too easy to catch.
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #918 on: March 27, 2020, 08:36:24 AM »
I've had a good mix of rare and common fish. The distribution is always tied to the RNG, which in previous games got reset every time you entered and exited a building. So if you're getting nothing but bass, that might be something to try.

Bait is an optional mechanic that can be ignored entirely should you want the classic Animal Crossing fishing experience. Crafting could be smoother in general, but that's not an indictment of bait, which is a useful addition IMO.

Trying to catch all the fish and bugs needed before the season changed over was ALWAYS stressful in Animal Crossing (but only if you're a museum completionist.) You're either looking at waiting a year or time traveling and no one should like doing either.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #919 on: March 27, 2020, 09:02:49 AM »
I kinda think it’s just not a very good season for fishing, and sea bass have always been filler 🤷‍♀️

And I’m really only using bait for spot specific fish or to be polite while visiting

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #920 on: March 27, 2020, 09:45:35 AM »
Found out there’s an item dupe glitch. Will not be using, kinda makes me sad.

Cheddahz

« Reply #921 on: March 27, 2020, 09:45:38 AM »
Got on this morning and thank god that
once the resident services building is built, the music starts to change hourly - I was about to go insane hearing the same damn song
[close]

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #922 on: March 27, 2020, 09:47:01 AM »
They patched the dupe out, thank god

Cheddahz

« Reply #923 on: March 27, 2020, 09:50:35 AM »
Saw someone post on their Instagram freaking out about it being patched lmfao; Nintendo fans still the same about stuff like this  :dead :dead

Tasty

« Reply #924 on: March 27, 2020, 10:19:50 AM »

Ya I woke up yesterday to a new small update and it was "1.1.1" and I was like "huh."

Brave new world of patches and updates for Animal Crossing :lawd

Himu

« Reply #925 on: March 27, 2020, 10:25:38 AM »
I've had a good mix of rare and common fish. The distribution is always tied to the RNG, which in previous games got reset every time you entered and exited a building. So if you're getting nothing but bass, that might be something to try.

Bait is an optional mechanic that can be ignored entirely should you want the classic Animal Crossing fishing experience. Crafting could be smoother in general, but that's not an indictment of bait, which is a useful addition IMO.

Trying to catch all the fish and bugs needed before the season changed over was ALWAYS stressful in Animal Crossing (but only if you're a museum completionist.) You're either looking at waiting a year or time traveling and no one should like doing either.

In this game bait is not optional.

Fish appear with far less regularity.

I kinda think it’s just not a very good season for fishing, and sea bass have always been filler 🤷‍♀️

And I’m really only using bait for spot specific fish or to be polite while visiting

Bass has always been filler. But I've never fished this much bass in animal crossing ever.

I picked northern hemisphere and regret it. The fish selection sucks balls. I went to the island last night and literally got nothing but bass. Talk about a waste of 2000 miles. I dare you to go to the island, fish, and count how many bass you get. There's bass as a filter system, as used in past games and then there's the selection you get here. Compared with the fish you'd find and get in New Leaf, the island selection is poor.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:30:20 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #926 on: March 27, 2020, 10:28:43 AM »
Kinda sounds like bad luck to me, I’m sorry you’re frustrated with it, hopefully with sharks and stuff in the summer it will be better for ya

Himu

« Reply #927 on: March 27, 2020, 10:34:13 AM »
The main fish I am catching:

- dabs
- olive flounder
- red snapper occasionally
- bass, you can always tell by the extra vibration
- football fish occasionally

It's very predictable and boring.

So far the hemisphere system sounds like a dud. I get they wanted different people to catch different things but patch this. This is terrible.

Never mind the act of grinding clams for bait. Boring and repetitive.

Combined with rods breaking.

It is objectively terrible.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #928 on: March 27, 2020, 10:36:26 AM »
Yeah sorry Cindi. :( Hopefully it changes for you soon because I'm not really seeing a difference in distribution or regularity with fish in New Horizons compared to past Animal Crossings. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I mean, I'm not catching much different from you, though I'm also fishing way more in fresh water than you apparently. I don't discriminate between rivers and the ocean, and have fleshed out my Critterpedia quite a bit with fresh water fish in the past two days.

Himu

« Reply #929 on: March 27, 2020, 10:38:49 AM »
The fish also don't seem to respawn. In the past there was a walk system where if you walked away you'd probably reload a fish. Often in the ponds/river of the cliffs there aren't even any fish that spawn even when you first arrive. I *have* to use bait to make a fish even appear.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #930 on: March 27, 2020, 10:43:09 AM »
Kinda sounds like bad luck to me, I’m sorry you’re frustrated with it, hopefully with sharks and stuff in the summer it will be better for ya

Hmm IIRC winter is the best time for fish, to make up for bugs generally sucking in the colder months.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #931 on: March 27, 2020, 10:43:32 AM »
That’s why I’m designing my place so you can just walk along the whole coast, hopefully so fish are spawning in as you make the round

But yeah it is hard to get fish to spawn at river mouths, that’s baitn time for me

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #932 on: March 27, 2020, 10:44:00 AM »

Hmm IIRC winter is the best time for fish, to make up for bugs generally sucking in the colder months.
😂🤷‍♀️

Himu

« Reply #933 on: March 27, 2020, 10:44:19 AM »
It's raining today. Thank fuck. Haven't had rain in a goddamn week. Finally the fish variety can change.
IYKYK

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #934 on: March 27, 2020, 10:44:26 AM »
Does they money tree keep producing money bags? Getting 30k off a tree is   :D
___

Tasty

« Reply #935 on: March 27, 2020, 10:44:29 AM »

😂🤷‍♀️

Lol I actually don't know, that's playground-level anecdotal wisdom. :lol

Tasty

« Reply #936 on: March 27, 2020, 10:47:43 AM »
Does they money tree keep producing money bags? Getting 30k off a tree is   :D

no

Dickie Dee

« Reply #937 on: March 27, 2020, 10:48:22 AM »
My gate is open if anyone wants to swing by  :-[
___

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #938 on: March 27, 2020, 10:51:51 AM »
Risked going grocery shopping yesterday so treated myself to this game. Chose a nice island with a cute heart shaped pond on a cliff that I apparently can’t get to yet. My islanders are duds though, I got Ursula who is a big gal but she doesn’t seem to like me and a monkey who keeps insulting me by calling me a rerack  >:(

I haven’t played an AC since GameCube. How do I get a shovel? I somehow must have missed it. I’m assuming slingshot and pole vault come later to gate things off. Saw a present on a balloon float by and I couldn’t do anything but cry
WDW

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #939 on: March 27, 2020, 10:56:13 AM »
Just be a nook mile whore for a lil bit to pay your moving fees and you should get most things you’re looking to unlock off the bat like tools and stuff

Tasty

« Reply #940 on: March 27, 2020, 10:58:50 AM »
I can't remember, I think I didn't get a shovel until the second day.

Himu

« Reply #941 on: March 27, 2020, 11:00:43 AM »
You make one.

It's impossible to not make one as the game has it as part of the tutorial.

And I'm still getting bass even in the rain. I've caught 6 fish so far: two crucian carps and four baZZ.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #942 on: March 27, 2020, 11:59:19 AM »
Oh man

Nook has a plan to bring

KK Slider to town for a concert
[close]

So I will have a
campsite tomorrow! Stuck it in the evergreens, duh
[close]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 12:06:49 PM by CatsCatsCats »

Tasty

« Reply #943 on: March 27, 2020, 12:12:51 PM »
Yeah I put mine on the second level, secluded by evergreens...

Also, my updated resource map. :) Actually you can see where I put it (the white square to the north.)

Aiming to have 6 of each type (not counting coconuts) before attempting to plant more. Want to have an evenly-spread out balance of fruits! (Blue fruits are a mystery but at this point I believe they're pears.)

Himu

« Reply #944 on: March 27, 2020, 12:14:34 PM »
This thread has already slowed. In ACNL we played together pretty much every night or when we could. NH gives very little incentive to play multi beyond exchanging fruit.

I won't make any final judgements, especially without town hall complete yet, but so far my verdict on New Horizons is that it's an under cooked, rushed product. Which is shocking considering the long development time. It's good for scrstching the animal crossing itch and while it does new, interesting things with the formula it also slowed progress and pacing of the overall gameplay loop to a crawl. If you want to fish or shovel, be prepared to make a new one, repeatedly. While you can offset this by customizing and resetting your count to 0, how many times do you know you've used the tool?

I think I just achieved all of today's goals.

So far:

- no town rating score so little reason for upkeep
- The game is clearly for AC vets, not newbies. It doesn't teach AC fundamentals like keeping a town clean, keeping villagers happy. Bebpo doesn't even know you can attach gifts to letters.
- complete backslide in terms of content and variety of content from new leaf such as the lack of Tortimer Island
- the gameplay is scatter shot. Sometimes it feels like the formula has been perfected. Other times it feels like it's more tedious than you ever recall animal crossing being.
- lack of animals even after a week. Animal Crossing is known for its electic cast of characters: Resetti, that fucking bitch ass duck at the post office, Tortimer, Isabelle, KK. Animal crossing has so many cute characters to fall in love with. Why they decided to go with a deserted island with none of the tried and true animal crossing staples is beyond me. Yeah you need to work for it to get the cute here. Meanwhile in NL Isabelle greets you daily. NH is still empty as fuck.

It's a mixed bag. Still fun and scratches the itch but New Leaf it is not.

I predict players to drop off far more faster than with NL. One great thing about NL is that it always transparently gave you goals to strive forward: residents want a better town so let's build a bridge. This public work will improve production. Or keep the environment clean. No such thing in NH. Oh, we are going to upgrade the tent to a town hall. Okay. That wasn't a goal. It was just a random change.

Tbh it just makes me want to play new leaf instead. :yeshrug

Poor sequel and follow up to the game that blew Animal Crossing up tbh. I expect massive backlash in the coming weeks.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #945 on: March 27, 2020, 12:18:49 PM »

This thread today just passed the New Leaf thread's seven year total (964 posts versus 940.) It sucks you're not enjoying parts of the game, but extrapolating that to the entire fanbase in the coming weeks is a bit much. All Nintendo has to do is keep up the free updates and the already strong goodwill earned from launch (except from those in the #OneIslandPerSwitch crowd) will be perpetuated for a while yet. That's how I see things playing out anyways, who knows. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Himu

« Reply #946 on: March 27, 2020, 12:20:58 PM »
that fucking bitch ass duck at the post office

New Horizons does not even have a post office. You mail letters to a random Dodo.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #947 on: March 27, 2020, 12:32:48 PM »
Animal Crossing has personality.

Let's replace personable characters with a generic dodo. It's like the people that made it don't even fully understand Animal Crossing's full appeal.

The most personable character in this right now is Blathers. I met his sister last night, still cute as ever, and she has personality too. I'm not sure what they were thinking making a game about not feeling lonely when moving to a new place and turning that theme into moving to a deserted island where there's literally nothing.

Mmarsu has the right of it. If you're new to Animal Crossing and want to play an Animal Crossing game I suggest getting New Leaf instead and then New Horizons in the future.

So far, the consensus is starting to form.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/248082-animal-crossing-new-horizons/78504931
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 12:37:50 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #949 on: March 27, 2020, 01:02:27 PM »
I think the thread slowed cuz Joe crushed the turnip market on like the 3rd day

Tasty

« Reply #950 on: March 27, 2020, 01:05:17 PM »

Dickie thanks for the noodle/bamboo thing! It really adds a lot to my in-development hot springs area. :D

OMW in a min!

Beezy

« Reply #951 on: March 27, 2020, 01:17:48 PM »
Uh, this bird has washed up on my beach for a 2nd time. Is there any way to wake him up?

Tasty

« Reply #952 on: March 27, 2020, 01:18:19 PM »
Uh, this bird has washed up on my beach for a 2nd time. Is there any way to wake him up?

Talk to him 5-6 times.

Beezy

« Reply #953 on: March 27, 2020, 01:24:15 PM »
Thanks.

I don't have any turnips, but they're selling for 540 on my island right now.

Tasty

« Reply #954 on: March 27, 2020, 01:25:22 PM »
Thanks.

I don't have any turnips, but they're selling for 540 on my island right now.

DAAAAAAAMMMMNNNN I knew I should have held :stahp

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #955 on: March 27, 2020, 01:25:29 PM »
God damn

61 bells at mine 😂

Himu

« Reply #956 on: March 27, 2020, 01:25:32 PM »
I'm tt-ing to blow this game up now and analyze what it has to offer and if it's worth the continued investment.

I've never done that before in animal crossing. First step: town hall.
IYKYK

Dickie Dee

« Reply #957 on: March 27, 2020, 01:28:52 PM »
I'm at 391 for Turnips right now
___

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #958 on: March 27, 2020, 01:38:55 PM »
Game time!

Edit: Ok that was enough for showing off ;)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 04:32:15 PM by Premium Lager »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #959 on: March 27, 2020, 01:55:22 PM »
Oh fuck yes just got deeper pockets again