Author Topic: ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS - Thread of Gaming Zen  (Read 209570 times)

Himu

Re: ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS - Thread of Gaming Zen
« Reply #1320 on: March 31, 2020, 02:33:43 PM »
She told me more villagers and more stuff I made from materials around the island

Crafted a wand and it’s the most fun lol

How did you get the star fragments?

Not sure if it's every time Celeste appears, but the first time I met her and she told me about the wand, later in the night there were random shooting stars and I pressed "A" for them. Then the star fragments were on the beach the next day.

Tip: I was confused by this the first time. In order to wish upon a star you need to have everything unequipped. I tried it while I had a tool and it wouldn't let me wish.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1321 on: March 31, 2020, 02:35:45 PM »

This is gorgeous. Tell me more.

edit: forgot it's in the museum :lol
IYKYK

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #1322 on: March 31, 2020, 02:36:42 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

This is gorgeous. Tell me more.

edit: forgot it's in the museum :lol

lol, yah. catch butterflies, visit museum.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1323 on: March 31, 2020, 02:39:12 PM »
bork — taking the nook miles flights to mystery islands and hitting rocks there, and maximizing hits on rocks with the hole digging technique

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #1324 on: March 31, 2020, 02:40:11 PM »
bork — taking the nook miles flights to mystery islands and hitting rocks there

This is the way.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Himu

« Reply #1325 on: March 31, 2020, 02:42:00 PM »
Is there a quick way to get iron?  It's the one resource I can almost never find and it's slowing down progress quite a bit.

Learn how to shovel rocks. Always maximize your return because you're given so little resources per day.

I'd suggest adding 4 holes horizontal and 1 hole vertical to make an L. This is a time tested way to brace yourself. Just keep tapping A.

Also visit a Nook island with your free ticket for more rocks.

Don't eat fruit and destroy your rocks on your own island, just on the random ones because those are instanced and you won't be coming back.
IYKYK

stufte

« Reply #1326 on: March 31, 2020, 02:46:42 PM »
Is there a quick way to get iron?  It's the one resource I can almost never find and it's slowing down progress quite a bit.

Learn how to shovel rocks. Always maximize your return because you're given so little resources per day.

I'd suggest adding 4 holes horizontal and 1 hole vertical to make an L. This is a time tested way to brace yourself. Just keep tapping A.

Don't eat fruit and destroy your rocks on your own island, just on the random ones because those are instanced and you won't be coming back.

Your own island rocks respawn every day though.

*edit* ONLY ONE ROCK COMES BACK EACH DAY  :o

Himu

« Reply #1327 on: March 31, 2020, 02:48:17 PM »

Your own island rocks respawn every day though.

True enough but not all of them. On my first island I destroyed all the rocks with my tasty fruit powers. Ended up not having enough rocks to get the 30 iron nuggets to make the Cranny. Beezy had the same issue. I don't recommend it until you're a ways in, not at the beginning of the game.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1328 on: March 31, 2020, 02:56:59 PM »
Well, that would explain it- I was just smashing rocks with the ax and had no idea you could dig under them.

Thanks everyone.  :)
ど助平

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1329 on: March 31, 2020, 02:58:51 PM »
I get so hype every time a villager teaches me a new emote

My stepson had an interesting idea, you could use the wand to store a series of short chat phrases (it says the outfit name in chat)

Himu

« Reply #1330 on: March 31, 2020, 03:01:55 PM »
Cindi seriously has the best island layout I've seen yet.

Still extremely happy with mine though! :)

I'm convinced the Animal Crossing gods blessed me with it to give the game another chance, because I'm fully invested in my island now.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1331 on: March 31, 2020, 03:06:09 PM »
104 pm price

Tasty

« Reply #1332 on: March 31, 2020, 03:15:56 PM »
Raclette looks awesome 😍

Tasty

« Reply #1333 on: March 31, 2020, 03:16:43 PM »
I get so hype every time a villager teaches me a new emote

My stepson had an interesting idea, you could use the wand to store a series of short chat phrases (it says the outfit name in chat)

So basically quick reactions from MH lol.

Himu

« Reply #1334 on: March 31, 2020, 03:17:34 PM »
It really does. Stuffte has inspired me to make a Mexican restaurant with a bar on Cerveza.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1335 on: March 31, 2020, 03:17:42 PM »
Yeah, you know, brute forcing a basic feature lol

stufte

« Reply #1336 on: March 31, 2020, 03:21:40 PM »
also did the carpet from the shining if anyone is interested. You have to scan the QR code from the nintendo online app though.

I WAS GOING THROUGH A PHASE, DON'T JUDGE MY LOOK.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #1337 on: March 31, 2020, 03:25:39 PM »
I might start making clothes today. It'll be a chore without a stylus but I hope I'll have fun with it!

Is Lucky in this game? I haven't seen him in anyone's towns.

edit: apparently he is
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1338 on: March 31, 2020, 03:33:14 PM »
I’m ready for someone to have a wicked good turnip price now, I feel like I’ll never pay off my house with all the other stuff I wanna buy in the way 😰

stufte

« Reply #1339 on: March 31, 2020, 03:34:35 PM »
I'm currently sitting at 30 fucking bells. Bought at 99 last Sunday... :(

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1340 on: March 31, 2020, 03:39:25 PM »
FYI, if you’re in my town, I just drop recipes I already know on the ground, please use em if you can

stufte

« Reply #1341 on: March 31, 2020, 03:45:57 PM »
Tom Nook cosplay
 :nsfw
[close]

Himu

« Reply #1342 on: March 31, 2020, 04:03:42 PM »
I'm currently sitting at 30 fucking bells. Bought at 99 last Sunday... :(

Fish in the ocean. Today I made 30k. Granted, at one point it was raining and I took the opportunity to nab a coelacanth.

This pertains to something I wanted to write earlier but forgot as I do spring cleaning.

I really want to compliment New Horizons on its resource management. In NH, acquiring Bells is a challenge. By this time in New Leaf, all of us managed to learn how to easily - and I mean, easily - acquire over 100k worth of bugs in a single night. Tortimer Island in New Leaf gave the player far too many avenues for money. In hindsight, it broke the game. New Horizons has brought back the bell scavenging, do anything it takes mentality that Wild World had (and by extension the original AC which I haven't played but have heard about). Fishing (at this point) isn't a guarantee. Red snappers bring in the bells, but they're not too frequent. Because it's March, there's not much rain so Coelacanths aren't a common sight either. This is compounded by that, when it does rain, it's usually a very brief shower. It's not a full days worth, just a few minutes worth of opportunity.  :quark Foreign fruit doesn't bring in the bells it had in past either, to my knowledge, without investing by planting a lot (A LOT) of them. And even then, it seems that growing back fruit takes an age in this, so it's not a reliable, regular money maker. This uphill battle for bells makes the scrounge for resources all the more immersive - even if it can push people's patience.

New Horizons is undoubtedly far more slower than past Animal Crossing games. But at the same time, the mechanisms behind it feel all the more balanced as well. Right now turnips are the biggest money maker, and they appear more expensive than they were in the past (in my experience).

I have to pay my compliments to the chef. :delicious
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 04:10:39 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

stufte

« Reply #1343 on: March 31, 2020, 04:16:01 PM »
I was just reminded of a side hustle I had back on the gamcube where I would dupe the master sword and sell them on ebay for 5 bucks a pop.

Ah those were the days.

Bebpo

« Reply #1344 on: March 31, 2020, 04:17:22 PM »
I’m almost at that 5,000 nook miles to actually get to the real game.

So far AC is not for me and I don’t get what the general public sees in it, feels boring and archaic. Tiny inventory space, slow text, slow everything, repetitive gathering, can only eat one fruit at a time, etc...

But I’ll give it until the real game opens up to see what millions of people find addicting about this series.
Like I get Pokemon, other than being stupid boring easy, the collection, monster leveling, rpg system has a solid gameplay loop like Shin Megami Tensei. But don’t get AC yet.

Himu

« Reply #1345 on: March 31, 2020, 04:18:31 PM »

So nostalgic.

Who else is buying New Horizons' soundtrack?  :-*
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1346 on: March 31, 2020, 04:23:40 PM »

So far AC is not for me and I don’t get what the general public sees in it, feels boring and archaic. Tiny inventory space, slow text, slow everything, repetitive gathering, can only eat one fruit at a time, etc...

But I’ll give it until the real game opens up to see what millions of people find addicting about this series.
Like I get Pokemon, other than being stupid boring easy, the collection, monster leveling, rpg system has a solid gameplay loop like Shin Megami Tensei. But don’t get AC yet.

Buy inventory space with nook miles immediately.

Unfortunately ACNH takes forever to get to the "real" Animal Crossing experience. In past games, you go to a village with already made houses, shops, and the like. In NH you make those yourself and start with nothing. So the game doesn't really "start" until you've got that stuff out of the way. Animal Crossing has never had the grind that was making those three houses or making Nook's Cranny before. But then, it'll still have the "repetitive gathering". In AC, I look for fossils and hit rocks daily for new stuff. AC should be a nice chill out, relax game. April is a much (much) better month than March. Maybe it will click when April rolls around and you see all these things to collect.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 05:15:04 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #1347 on: March 31, 2020, 04:31:11 PM »
All right, 4pm, time to get this bread stringfish

:existential :existential :existential :existential :existential :existential :existential
[close]
WDW

Himu

« Reply #1348 on: March 31, 2020, 04:31:53 PM »
All right, 4pm, time to get this bread stringfish

:existential :existential :existential :existential :existential :existential :existential
[close]

Separate the size types to force it to spawn.
IYKYK

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #1349 on: March 31, 2020, 04:53:14 PM »
What do you mean? if you’re talking about running to scare away the small fish I’m already doing that
WDW

Tasty

« Reply #1350 on: March 31, 2020, 04:55:08 PM »
What do you mean? if you’re talking about running to scare away the small fish I’m already doing that

Then you are already an Animal Crossing expert, and a padawan no longer.

Himu

« Reply #1351 on: March 31, 2020, 04:55:37 PM »

Yeah, that's what I mean. Is there a pond nearby? Scare those fish away as well. There may also be some fish down river fucking up your spawn. I think the stringfish is the same size as a bass. So your shot is 50/50.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1352 on: March 31, 2020, 04:58:56 PM »
I was just reminded of a side hustle I had back on the gamcube where I would dupe the master sword and sell them on ebay for 5 bucks a pop.

Ah those were the days.

What did you do, mail memory cards to people? :thinking Or just the in-game text code? :lol

Tasty

« Reply #1353 on: March 31, 2020, 05:05:43 PM »

In AC, you set your own overall gameplay goals, and then there are seemingly a million mini-game loops to accomplish those goals which you can freely choose from. Primarily, it's a game about freedom. Which could be a problem if your mindset is "When do I get to beat the end boss?"

The "end boss" for me in this game is getting my island to look the way I want, finishing the museum, and paying off my house. I'm making bits of progress every day towards each of those. What's great is a lot of the gameplay systems overlap, giving even more freedom. "I could pocket this 1000 bells I dug up, or I could replant them for triple the profit." "I could use the profit for the red snapper on my new bridge, orrrr I could pay off my mortgage a little."

You need to figure out your own goals in the game, but it can be tough to see all the options you have and subsystems at play because you're still in the tutorial, basically. I'd keep at it, even 10 mins a day in AC can add up huge.

Tasty

« Reply #1354 on: March 31, 2020, 05:08:54 PM »
youtube.com/watch?v=dXCdhy_V44s

So nostalgic.

youtu.be/wZnEQaISzl0

Who else is buying New Horizons' soundtrack?  :-*

Not buying it but probably stream the fuck out of it still. :heartbeat

NH faves so far:

Himu

« Reply #1355 on: March 31, 2020, 05:14:08 PM »
Unfortunately ACNH slowly reveals features. In past games, features are often revealed at the outset with new things stacked. Things like citizen satisfaction are there at the beginning but changing your characters look (hair for example) is reserved for later. Here, it's reversed. In this game they want you to concentrate on your character first, and then expand upon your island.

In previous pages I suggested Beezy wait a week to see if it's for him. In the past, that would be a good suggestion for someone new to Animal Crossing. With New Horizon I suggest two weeks. Unlock new things, slowly if you need to. I think that once you unlock Able Sisters and unlock town rating you will have the "proper" AC experience so you will know if you like it or not after after that.

Personally, I don't like the beginning of NH and I'm a series vet. So I wouldn't judge it based on the beginning at at all, because that's not standard Animal Crossing in the traditional sense. If you want, and find the timing too slow, feel free to set the system clock a day later if you don't feel like waiting. No harm in it, and it's not hurting anyone.
IYKYK

Tasty

Tasty

« Reply #1357 on: March 31, 2020, 05:22:35 PM »
Unfortunately ACNH slowly reveals features. In past games, features are often revealed at the outset with new things stacked. Things like citizen satisfaction are there at the beginning but changing your characters look (hair for example) is reserved for later. Here, it's reversed. In this game they want you to concentrate on your character first, and then expand upon your island.

In previous pages I suggested Beezy wait a week to see if it's for him. In the past, that would be a good suggestion for someone new to Animal Crossing. With New Horizon I suggest two weeks. Unlock new things, slowly if you need to. I think that once you unlock Able Sisters and unlock town rating you will have the "proper" AC experience so you will know if you like it or not after after that.

Personally, I don't like the beginning of NH and I'm a series vet. So I wouldn't judge it based on the beginning at at all, because that's not standard Animal Crossing in the traditional sense. If you want, and find the timing too slow, feel free to set the system clock a day later if you don't feel like waiting. No harm in it, and it's not hurting anyone.

If anything I'm surprised newer players aren't taking to the guided progression better. They're introducing a lot of elements more clearly, instead of throwing everything in the toy box at you and expecting you to make your own goals. A standard complaint of the series is there's nothing to do, and the tutorial week basically has a clear goal for you to accomplish at any given point.

Perhaps in appealing more to that, some of the AC charm is backloaded past the tutorial, which might be hurting impressions? Will be fun to return to all this in a year when the dust settles. Like it wasn't really clear where NL stood in the series for a while and I think that'll be the case for NH too, especially with the planned updates.

Himu

« Reply #1358 on: March 31, 2020, 05:32:54 PM »

If anything I'm surprised newer players aren't taking to the guided progression better.

They aren't? In my experience most newer players don't mind because they have no real expectations for what Animal Crossing is like. Compare the impressions with someone like myself or even Yeti, who are experienced players.
IYKYK

stufte

« Reply #1359 on: March 31, 2020, 05:48:13 PM »

Ah those were the days.

What did you do, mail memory cards to people? :thinking Or just the in-game text code? :lol

in-game text code. Made about $50 bucks before the code for it was released online.  :doge

Tasty

« Reply #1360 on: March 31, 2020, 05:56:02 PM »

Ah those were the days.

in-game text code. Made about $50 bucks before the code for it was released online.  :doge

:lol :lol :lol That's awesome. If I knew what ebay was at the time I might have begged my mom to buy one for me. :P

Tasty

« Reply #1361 on: March 31, 2020, 05:56:53 PM »

If anything I'm surprised newer players aren't taking to the guided progression better.

They aren't? In my experience most newer players don't mind because they have no real expectations for what Animal Crossing is like. Compare the impressions with someone like myself or even Yeti, who are experienced players.

Just bebps and maybe one or two other people coming to AC from the "I've never really understood AC but gonna give this one a try" crowd.

All the impressions are some variation of "Hmm not really getting it yet but I'll keep playing."

Beezy

« Reply #1362 on: March 31, 2020, 06:10:01 PM »

Yeah, I've been enjoying myself so far. Even your tools breaking doesn't bother me. Ugly/uppity neighbors living on my island on the other hand...

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #1363 on: March 31, 2020, 06:15:53 PM »

:rejoice :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice

...fuck you Blathers

The museum has been opened for several days now, this is to celebrate catching the Stringfish

about to launch into a long expletive-laden rant on Stringfish
[close]
WDW

Tasty

« Reply #1364 on: March 31, 2020, 06:37:46 PM »

Cats waving his wand in my villagers' faces certainly made an impression. >///>

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1365 on: March 31, 2020, 06:38:18 PM »
😈

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1366 on: March 31, 2020, 06:39:12 PM »
I’m in love with the wand and will be raiding every Able Sisters on the bire net

Himu

« Reply #1367 on: March 31, 2020, 06:51:25 PM »

Cats waving his wand in my villagers' faces certainly made an impression. >///>

Now that is a cute goat.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1368 on: March 31, 2020, 07:04:42 PM »
Turnips are 78 bells in the pm. It's going up I think.

Sold four emperor butterflies for 17k.
IYKYK

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #1369 on: March 31, 2020, 07:05:24 PM »
BIG TUNA

and it's pretty sweet browsing all my finds with other villagers, first time I've ran into one in the museum.

___

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1370 on: March 31, 2020, 07:19:24 PM »
Found someone on my secret discordz :shh that would let me sell for 650. Built a bridge and paid off my Attic.
©@©™

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #1371 on: March 31, 2020, 07:19:24 PM »
This hippie was wandering around my village when I logged in this evening I think his good vibes are what helped me catch the stringfish

Bet he gives me lots of crafting recipes for my weeds
WDW

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1372 on: March 31, 2020, 07:20:38 PM »
This hippie was wandering around my village when I logged in this evening I think his good vibes are what helped me catch the stringfish

Bet he gives me lots of crafting recipes for my weeds

for God's sake, don't go to his creepy PornHub island  :goty2
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #1373 on: March 31, 2020, 07:28:11 PM »
Golden hour is so beautiful :tocry
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1374 on: March 31, 2020, 07:50:57 PM »
https://kotaku.com/don-t-let-fomo-ruin-animal-crossing-new-horizons-for-y-1842531675

Wonderful article, good read for both series vets and newbies.

Tasty

« Reply #1375 on: March 31, 2020, 07:55:30 PM »
Found someone on my secret discordz :shh that would let me sell for 650. Built a bridge and paid off my Attic.

Daaaamn feel like running turnips for me? You could make a sweet comish :win

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1376 on: March 31, 2020, 08:08:36 PM »

Daaaamn feel like running turnips for me? You could make a sweet comish :win

I checked for you, but he's offline now. sry
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 08:18:54 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1377 on: March 31, 2020, 08:15:20 PM »
Damn, Joe Riches over here holdin out this week, guess we didn’t tip well enough last week 😂

Beezy

« Reply #1378 on: March 31, 2020, 08:26:24 PM »
I've been mainly catching black bass and sea bass all day. :maf

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1379 on: March 31, 2020, 08:28:35 PM »
Damn, Joe Riches over here holdin out this week, guess we didn’t tip well enough last week 😂

:snob
©@©™