Author Topic: interesting and/or fun wikipedia articles  (Read 11303 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: interesting and/or fun wikipedia articles
« Reply #180 on: July 27, 2020, 11:40:08 PM »
Kac shit
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #181 on: August 06, 2020, 01:45:59 PM »
Hellevik was about to close the door between the chamber system and the trunk when the chamber explosively decompressed from a pressure of nine atmospheres to one atmosphere. One of the tenders, 32-year-old William Crammond of Great Britain, and all four of the divers were killed instantly; the other tender, Saunders, was severely injured.

The fourth diver was dismembered and mutilated by the blast forcing him out through the partially blocked doorway and would have died instantly.

Could have also gone in the bad vibes thread, tbh.
dog

Stro

• #SaturnSquad
« Reply #182 on: August 06, 2020, 01:46:46 PM »
Those poor tendies

shosta

• death to one's self
« Reply #183 on: August 07, 2020, 12:31:21 AM »
Reading about Navayana Buddhism (popular among Dalits)

The Buddhist tradition believes that the Buddha one day saw a sick man, an old man and a dead body in sequence, then he left his princely life and sought insights and a way out of human suffering. According to Ambedkar, this was absurd. He proposed that the Buddha likely sought insights because he was involved in "making peace among tribes".
Ambedkar believed that this core doctrine of Buddhism was flawed because it denied hope to human beings. According to Ambedkar, the Four Noble Truths is a "gospel of pessimism", and may have been inserted into the Buddhist scriptures by wrong headed Buddhist monks of a later era. These should not be considered as Buddha's teachings in Ambedkar's view.
Anatta, Karma and Rebirth
These are other core doctrines of Buddhism. Anatta relates to no-self (no soul) concept. Ambedkar believed that there is an inherent contradiction between the three concepts, either Anatta is incorrect or there cannot be Karma and Rebirth with Anatta in Ambedkar's view.

What the fuck :titus

I wonder how this affects Ladakh
每天生气

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #184 on: September 03, 2020, 09:43:18 AM »
The complaint tablet to Ea-nasir is a clay tablet from ancient Babylon written c. 1750 BC. It is a complaint to a merchant named Ea-nasir from a customer named Nanni. Written in cuneiform, it is considered to be the oldest known written complaint. It is currently kept in the British Museum.

Ea-nasir travelled to the Persian Gulf to buy copper and return to sell it in Mesopotamia. On one particular occasion, he had agreed to sell copper ingots to Nanni. Nanni sent his servant with the money to complete the transaction. The copper was sub-standard and not accepted. In response, Nanni created the cuneiform letter for delivery to Ea-nasir. Inscribed on it is a complaint to Ea-nasir about a copper delivery of the incorrect grade, and issues with another delivery. He also complained that his servant (who handled the transaction) had been treated rudely. He stated that, at the time of writing, he had not accepted the copper but had paid the money.

dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #185 on: September 03, 2020, 09:58:41 AM »
Nanni demands to speak to the manager about this copper. :karen
©@©™

EchoRin

• How many hamburgers am I allowed to eat, Mr. President?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: September 09, 2020, 11:36:33 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Place_names_considered_unusual

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab,_Alabama

As late as 1990, Arab was a sundown town, with a sign warning African Americans not to stay in Arab after dark[7] and, historically, even barring them during the day.[8] Ku Klux Klan material has been disseminated multiple times in Arab in recent years.[9] While Alabama is 26% black, in the 2000 census 0.18% of the population of Arab was black.

Live in Arab and be a KKK member. :fbm
©@©™

EchoRin

« Reply #188 on: September 09, 2020, 11:45:17 AM »
I also liked this little bit:

As a result of increased notoriety, road signs are commonly stolen in Fucking, Austria, as souvenirs[43]—the only crime which has been reported in the village.[44] It cost some 300 euros to replace each stolen sign, and the costs were reflected in the taxes that local residents pay.[45] In 2004, owing mainly to the stolen signs, a vote was held on changing the village's name, but the residents voted against doing so.[46] Tarsdorf municipality's mayor Siegfried Höppl stated that it was decided to keep the name as it had existed for 800 years,[46] and further stated that "everyone here knows what it means in English, but for us Fucking is Fucking—and it's going to stay Fucking."[47]

:lol

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2020, 08:47:46 AM »
NtGay

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
NtGay

EchoRin

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #193 on: October 11, 2020, 07:17:09 PM »
In his single attempt at Formula One, he entered the 1977 German Grand Prix on 31 July 1977 with the second Penske car of the new German team ATS. With little experience in single seaters and a bad car, he did not qualify. He was the first reserve, meaning that he would get the chance to race if another driver dropped out; however, Heyer chose to start the race anyway, slipping out of the pits and joining the pack without the officials realising. Only when his gearbox failed after 10 laps was it realised that Heyer should not have been competing, whereupon he was disqualified. He never attempted another race in a single-seat car. He is the only driver to be credited with a DNQ (Did Not Qualify), DNF (Did Not Finish), and DSQ (Disqualified) in the same race.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Heyer

Nintex

• DARK MODE CORPO
GAMER

Borealis

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #197 on: November 08, 2020, 10:48:09 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_with_longest_production_time

interesting reading about the various complications for many of these films
Uncle

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #198 on: November 08, 2020, 10:55:40 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_with_longest_production_time

interesting reading about the various complications for many of these films

I love reading up on that stuff too.

- The Act of Killing: This is near the top of my list of things to watch next, heard it's fantastic
- Avatar 2: "writing and visual effects prep work happening simultaneously for seven years" Did we learn nothing from the Star Wars prequels?
- Begotten: Still need to see this one
- Boyhood: IT TOOK TWELVE YEARS TO MAKE
- Eraserhead: One of the best examples <3
- Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time: :lol Was surprised to see this here but it's true.
- Movie 43: How much behind the scenes info is there on this one? Lol
- The Thief and the Cobbler: The documentary on its making, Persistence of Vision, is really good
🕊️

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #199 on: November 08, 2020, 11:02:22 AM »
interesting how many of these end up mixed up with redlettermedia in some way

dangerous men, boyhood, roar, and they've brought up some of the others over the years

I don't know if jay has ever mentioned begotten but it is probably in his wheelhouse

even thief and the cobbler has the gilchrist connection
:ohhh
Uncle

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #200 on: November 08, 2020, 07:43:44 PM »
Boyhood's a little different from most of the others since it had an extremely long production by design.
dog

EchoRin

« Reply #201 on: November 14, 2020, 04:17:36 PM »
What the hell?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_5390

edit: the images are reconstructions, but that's how it would have looked

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #202 on: November 14, 2020, 04:19:56 PM »
Top 5 worst nightmares
🕊️

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #203 on: November 14, 2020, 04:22:00 PM »
Also:

And that's why you always have a co-pilot.

🕊️

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #204 on: November 14, 2020, 04:24:18 PM »
Also are those recreation pics fake news? It clearly says his knees were caught by the controls and his upper torso was outside the plane. He wasn't literally being held by his ankles while the rest was outside the window, it seems (or at least, that would be my interpretation.)
🕊️

EchoRin

« Reply #205 on: November 14, 2020, 04:34:24 PM »
Yes. I saw an article with those pictures mentioning those were recreations. You can find a picture of the real people from the incident and they look different.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #206 on: November 14, 2020, 05:11:00 PM »
Also are those recreation pics fake news? It clearly says his knees were caught by the controls and his upper torso was outside the plane. He wasn't literally being held by his ankles while the rest was outside the window, it seems (or at least, that would be my interpretation.)

It says that he later slipped further outside the plane and his head started banging against the fuselage.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #207 on: November 14, 2020, 06:44:38 PM »
dog

filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #208 on: November 14, 2020, 06:47:31 PM »
 :lol what a dumbass, hope he wakes up screaming every night from ptsd  :neogaf

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #209 on: November 14, 2020, 09:11:11 PM »

It says that he later slipped further outside the plane and his head started banging against the fuselage.

Yeah a couple inches. That doesn't go from knees to toes tho.
🕊️

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #210 on: November 15, 2020, 10:17:56 AM »
Well, he was at least far enough out that they couldn't pull him back in and at one point seriously considered just letting him go.
dog

EchoRin

« Reply #211 on: November 27, 2020, 03:18:24 AM »
I also liked this little bit:

As a result of increased notoriety, road signs are commonly stolen in Fucking, Austria, as souvenirs[43]—the only crime which has been reported in the village.[44] It cost some 300 euros to replace each stolen sign, and the costs were reflected in the taxes that local residents pay.[45] In 2004, owing mainly to the stolen signs, a vote was held on changing the village's name, but the residents voted against doing so.[46] Tarsdorf municipality's mayor Siegfried Höppl stated that it was decided to keep the name as it had existed for 800 years,[46] and further stated that "everyone here knows what it means in English, but for us Fucking is Fucking—and it's going to stay Fucking."[47]

:lol

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

they finally broke. 2020 destroyed their will. It will now be Fugging from January 1st, 2021.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fucking,_Austria

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #212 on: November 27, 2020, 12:50:23 PM »
There's actually another town in Austria that already did the same thing, back in 1836. :notlikethis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugging
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: November 28, 2020, 02:02:55 AM »
There's actually another town in Austria that already did the same thing, back in 1836. :notlikethis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugging

Fugging was first referred to as Fucking in 1195 in a local monastery's parish records. Its name was later changed from Fucking to Fugging for an unknown reason by 1836.

It's both funny in context and out of context! :lol
©@©™

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #214 on: January 10, 2021, 12:12:53 PM »
Wikipedia is 20, and its reputation has never been higher

One of the only nonprofits I've given to repeatedly. :heart
🕊️

EchoRin

« Reply #215 on: January 10, 2021, 12:26:04 PM »
Ha! I can't actually read the Economist article beyond like the first 200 words (paywall), but Wikipedia has been pretty awesome. Been a great jumping off point for most of what I want to know.

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2021, 12:13:16 AM »
A video not an article but:

Spooky. Nothing happens for looooooong stretches then it all happens at once at the end and it's over like it didn't even happen. Reading up a bit more, according to witnesses you could hear the steal imploding and hitting the ocean floor as it went down. Goddamn that idea creeps me out.
🕊️

EchoRin

« Reply #217 on: January 16, 2021, 01:37:58 AM »
The brutality of the end is always so unsettling. The majority of the passengers still aboard. It tilts up and then suddenly snaps in half. That alone is horrifying. And then before you're able to get a clue what's next the boat starts to get all vertical within seconds followed by a quick unceremonious sinking.

:yikes  :-X :-X :yuck

« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 03:09:32 PM by EchoRin »