Author Topic: Chrome to power Windows' new default web browser  (Read 9393 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Chrome to power Windows' new default web browser
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 11:02:43 PM »
So this is how the browser wars finally end.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thank god the government protected us from that Microsoft monopoly.

:paul
[close]
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 11:17:14 PM »
So this is how the browser wars finally end.

With thunderous applause?

YES.

Coax

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 11:23:38 PM »
One might argue if this were any other browser engine in the past (hello Presto) that it's a blow for less diversity but since it's MS and they've always had talent for making engines that held everyone back this is probably their best option.

benjipwns

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 11:43:58 PM »
https://www.petri.com/what-is-windows-core-os-its-microsofts-chromebook-os-killer
Microsoft is working on a new version of Windows that may not actually be Windows. It’s currently called Lite, based on documentation found in the latest build, and I can confirm that this version of the OS is targeting Chromebooks. In fact, there are markings all over the latest release of the insider builds and SDK that help us understand where this OS is headed.

If you have heard this before, it should sound a lot like Windows 10 S and RT; Windows 10 Lite only runs PWAs and UWP apps and strips out everything else. This is finally a truly a lightweight version of Windows that isn’t only in the name. This is not a version of the OS that will run in the enterprise or even small business environments and I don’t think you will be able to ‘buy’ the OS either; OEM only may be the way forward
heh if this is related

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 11:56:47 PM »
https://www.petri.com/what-is-windows-core-os-its-microsofts-chromebook-os-killer
Microsoft is working on a new version of Windows that may not actually be Windows. It’s currently called Lite, based on documentation found in the latest build, and I can confirm that this version of the OS is targeting Chromebooks. In fact, there are markings all over the latest release of the insider builds and SDK that help us understand where this OS is headed.

If you have heard this before, it should sound a lot like Windows 10 S and RT; Windows 10 Lite only runs PWAs and UWP apps and strips out everything else. This is finally a truly a lightweight version of Windows that isn’t only in the name. This is not a version of the OS that will run in the enterprise or even small business environments and I don’t think you will be able to ‘buy’ the OS either; OEM only may be the way forward
heh if this is related

It's been known for a while that Google is trying to make Windows 10 load on Chromebooks, same with Linux. This isn't a totally radical thing since "New Technology" was supposed to be able to use any kernal MS or someone wanted to use.

With how much MS is trying to embrace open-sores, I wouldn't be surprised if they got an internal Linux-kernel-based Windows running that isn't WindowsSubsystemsForLinux/WSL.

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-building-chromium-powered-web-browser-windows-10

Whoah if true.

Edge has been a tremendous failure. It's better than Internet Explorer, but most folks don't give a shit. The best thing MS could do is just install Chrominum by default instead of making their own brand of the fucking thing. People would be confused by the blue Chrome logo, but if MS just said "it's Chrome in a different shade" people would fucking use it instead of installing Chrome anyway.

benjipwns

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 12:00:19 AM »
The best thing MS could do is just install Chrominum by default instead of making their own brand of the fucking thing. People would be confused by the blue Chrome logo, but
Just cut the Chromium logo into an e.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 12:01:24 AM »
I actually hate Edge, but that's only because there are old timey government websites that only work on Internet Explorer but refuse to work on Edge.

thisismyusername

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 12:02:28 AM »
The best thing MS could do is just install Chrominum by default instead of making their own brand of the fucking thing. People would be confused by the blue Chrome logo, but
Just cut the Chromium logo into an e.

People would just install Chrome in that case. Like I said: The best case scenario for MS is to throw in the towel, install Chromnium and educate users that it's Chrome already installed on the OS.

Edit: And I get this is a joke, but I'm still totally serious about them just installing Chromnium and educating folks.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 12:09:07 AM by thisismyusername »

benjipwns

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 12:04:59 AM »
I actually hate Edge, but that's only because there are old timey government websites that only work on Internet Explorer but refuse to work on Edge.
My favorite part is having to use compatibility mode in the "hidden" IE 11 in 10 for a site to work.

Which always pops up this tab:
You should try Microsoft Edge

The newest browser from Microsoft for Windows 10

The same people who brought you Internet Explorer proudly bring you Microsoft Edge. It builds on the Internet Explorer browser you trust and lets you take along all your favorites.
CAN'T, I NEED IE5.5 OR SOMETHIN BRO

Tasty

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 12:14:18 AM »
This is actually the total end of IE's legacy... I mean, whenever the last version of Edge is EoL'd will be the "true end," but the Trident rendering engine (now EdgeHTML) has been around since Internet Explorer 4.0 from 1997.

Crazy times we live in.

Himu

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 12:17:25 AM »
IE-chan you were murdered noooooooooooooo
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 12:22:22 AM »
This is actually the total end of IE's legacy... I mean, whenever the last version of Edge is EoL'd will be the "true end," but the Trident rendering engine (now EdgeHTML) has been around since Internet Explorer 4.0 from 1997.

Crazy times we live in.

Netscape won after all. :ohhh

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 12:25:20 AM »

You mean Sharepoint?
serge

benjipwns

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 12:28:57 AM »
I remember the kerfuffle when IE4 came out and people refused to upgrade to it.

That was what started the monopoly, because once they had us all on IE which was tied into the OS, they made us only use Office and everything else over the internet through the browser.

benjipwns

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 12:30:35 AM »
Then they ditched Active Desktop because it was shit, cleaned up IE5 to be speedier, and nobody realized that IE was tied even more into the OS after that because it was what Windows Update ran through until Vista. :lol

Kara

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 12:32:03 AM »

You mean Sharepoint?

If that's what powers tax websites in shitty Republican controlled state and local governments, sure.

benjipwns

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2018, 12:41:43 AM »
PD might disagree with me based on his experiences, but from my end the one good thing about our shitty Republican governor coming from the tech industry was that a bunch of our state government websites/technology got updated into the 2010s. And they properly organized various grants to get universities and such to also get their shit together.

I was told from people who would know that theoretically, any citizen could have a single State of Michigan Computer ID that would work across every government department now. The only thing preventing it is bureaucratic turf protection and some 1970s era laws. Along with the lawsuits that would be filed immediately. But we were talking about it mainly from the viewpoint of being an employee who moves to another department. As a random mercenary this appealed greatly to me since it was what I was used to in academia.

As an example of one stupidity, the account you create for job assistance programs/welfare/etc. uses the same exact software and form as the account you create to apply for government jobs. The former will not automatically apply you to the latter. Even though on the latter website you can set it up to essentially automatically apply you for jobs that meet criteria you specify.

Working in FOIA compliance I didn't need any kind of explanation for why departments would not cooperate with each other. :doge

Himu

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2018, 12:46:53 AM »

Crazy times we live in.

Netscape won after all. :ohhh

https://mobile.twitter.com/merryweatherey/status/1069032652584378369
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2018, 12:52:48 AM »
:uguu

Himu

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2018, 12:54:04 AM »
The final comic might make me cry.

MS goes and does this probably to kill IE-chan!!!
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2018, 12:58:56 AM »
Dont really like chrome proper these days, switched to a downstream browser - Vivaldi

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2018, 10:37:43 AM »
Chrome isn't already the default Windows web browser?
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2018, 10:38:15 AM »

It basically is, there's just the step of using Edge to install it currently.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2018, 10:39:58 AM »

It basically is, there's just the step of using Edge to install it currently.

And clicking through the desperate "Are you sure you don't want to try Edge first? It's really good!!" :'(
©@©™

kingv

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2018, 11:04:25 AM »
I thought edge was faster than chrome.

Humorously this comes as I’ve started to move away from chrome :-/

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2018, 11:20:48 AM »
working with clients and customers that are forced by their companies to only ever use modern business websites in IE 10 has been my biggest fucking beef at my current job
püp

BisMarckie

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2018, 11:20:55 AM »
I have been using Netscape and its successors for more than 20 years. Just because some nouveau riche google browser keeps gobbling up marketshare doesn't mean I will jump ship.
Firefox is the working man's browser that we need to combat big data :salute

Firefox is still the most popular desktop browser in Cuba
:success
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 11:27:48 AM by KennyLoggins »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2018, 11:27:39 AM »
Not only that, MS's own stuff doesn't like it. A lot of staff here use InfoPath forms that open from and upload to Sharepoint for various things. Of course neither of those work properly when the Sharepoint site is opened in Edge

Kara

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2018, 11:29:58 AM »
I have been using Netscape and its successors for more than 20 years. Just because some nouveau riche google browser keeps gobbling up marketshare doesn't mean I will jump ship.
Firefox is the working man's browser that we need to combat big data :salute

:mynicca

Himu

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2018, 11:31:51 AM »
Firefox user here
IYKYK

kingv

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2018, 12:12:30 PM »
working with clients and customers that are forced by their companies to only ever use modern business websites in IE 10 has been my biggest fucking beef at my current job

Well, i don’t know about you, but I love my IE11 overlord.

El Babua

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2018, 12:22:44 PM »
Been using Firefox for over a decade just because of the add-ons. Mainly noscript.

I think they're now using the same standardized system for add-ons that chrome is, or something close to it.

Tasty

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2018, 12:27:16 PM »
Been using Firefox for over a decade just because of the add-ons. Mainly noscript.

I think they're now using the same standardized system for add-ons that chrome is, or something close to it.

Yup. They even have a site that let's you upload your Chrome extension and it does the small amount of conversion needed for you. I wouldn't have considered porting the Bore extensions I made otherwise, the process was thankfully very straightforward. Good strategy on Mozilla's part.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2018, 12:39:31 PM »
I look forward to MS's new browser being as resource hungry as chrome.

:goty

I don't know what to do if Firefox starts to really shit the bed.

Tasty

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2018, 12:55:28 PM »
I look forward to MS's new browser being as resource hungry as chrome.

:goty

I don't know what to do if Firefox starts to really shit the bed.

Speculation points to performance being the reason Microsoft is doing this. Put this way:

All OS makers these days provide a "core browser" view for app makers to use. On iOS this is WKWebView based on Safari, on Windows it's EdgeHTML based on Edge. These "built-in" browsers are much more performant than third-party ones because of their integration with the host OS.

However, on Windows, app makers aren't limited in their choice of engine like they are on iOS. This means they go with what's popular, and what's popular is Chrome/Chromium. Chromium forms the heart of a cross-OS app container called Electron, which basically packages a web app into an EXE. Slack, WhatsApps' desktop client, and even Microsoft's new version of Skype use it.

These apps would otherwise never have been as performant on Windows as if they had used EdgeHTML, but EdgeHTML is so far, far behind Chromium on features as a "drop-in app platform" that Microsoft has decided to give up, and make Chromium the new Windows browser engine instead.

What this means is that everyone wins and we get the best of bost worlds. Microsoft still "gets their own browser" (for marketing purposes), but performance on Electron and Chromium-based apps/browsers will improve significantly once it becomes as integrated into Windows as Edge currently is.

The only people who are (rightfully) mourning this are web developers, who are fearful of another web monoculture developing and potentially impeding future progress. But those concerns, even if valid, are on a much longer timeline in the future.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 01:03:46 PM by Tasty Meat »

Tasty

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2018, 01:20:38 PM »
Thinking about this even more, it's entirely possible Chrome completely leapfrogs Firefox in performance and stability on Windows -- to an insurmountable degree -- once the integration work is done.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2018, 02:01:36 PM »
Ah that makes sense.  I could see myself using an MS browser again if it plays out that way (especially security-wise).

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2018, 02:20:37 PM »
Firefox and Ad Blocker for over a decade, and never looking back :rejoice

Probably the only stable relationship I’ve had :goldberg
[close]
Margs

Tasty

agrajag

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2019, 09:39:33 PM »
Edge was very cool and very fast the few times I used j
it.

thisismyusername

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2019, 09:55:10 PM »
Google Chrome could soon kill off most ad-blocker extensions

Trash.

Good to see you post this. If they kill off Ublock, I'm going back to Firefox.

Tasty

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2019, 09:57:15 PM »
On the one hand, ABP (and others) won't be affected and it's clearly a security-focused change after many years of the Chrome Web Store being the wild west.

On the other hand, less options keeping Google on their toes isn't good, and even if Google whitelisted the current faves (Ghostery, uBlock, uMatrix) it necessarily prevents new options like them from appearing.

Overall, this is a net meh for me.

Tasty

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2019, 10:00:44 PM »
It's been funny to see how the traditionally-dry preliminary discussions on an early-draft standard have trickled down to news sites.

You'd think the story was "GOOGLE KILLING ALL ADLBOCKERS FOREVER!!!!!" or something.

In any case, my bet is Google backpedals on this aspect of Manifest v3. (Do you, outraged person reading this, even know what was different in Manifest v2 without Googling? Didn't think so. ::) )

benjipwns

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2019, 10:04:06 PM »
In any case, my bet is Google backpedals on this aspect of Manifest v3. (Do you, outraged person reading this, even know what was different in Manifest v2 without Googling? Didn't think so. ::) )
Man, I knew Google was run by a bunch of social studies commies but to be updating the Communist Manifesto. :donot

Tasty

« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2019, 10:07:46 PM »
Man, I knew Google was run by a bunch of social studies commies but to be updating the Communist Manifesto. :donot

Ray Kurzweil is the editor. Should be a fun read.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2019, 10:48:19 AM »
fat

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2019, 10:58:20 AM »
Been using Firefox for the past 15 years at least, will they be coming for it next?

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2019, 03:49:29 PM »
Google 'bout to buy Microsoft confirmed.

Tasty

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2019, 12:17:33 PM »
https://outline.com/fpWsas

“The fascinating thing for that area was Chromium engineers had started that project at some point. I think they took a hiatus or some other priorities took over, so we actually picked up the project they had started and finished it off,” explains Mann. “We had a meeting with them where they’re talking about ‘this is on our agenda for next month, next quarter’ and we’re like, ‘Oh, we’re working on that right now’ and there were some delighted faces on the other side.”

:heart

Himu

« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:00:01 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2019, 12:32:49 PM »
This is more like the part a shonen where the hero and antihero team up.

Get fucked Safari :rejoice Chrome about to go SS Blue over here

Tasty

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2019, 12:34:45 PM »
Yo if Google is somehow able to get Apple to do the same thing a few years down the line... :ohhh

Though in that ideal utopia, I'd still want Firefox/Gecko to have 30-40% share for anti-monoculture purposes.

Occam

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2019, 05:40:33 PM »
If you aren't using Firefox, you are doing it wrong.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2019, 05:54:09 PM »
he says as mozilla broke every addon last week :lol

Tasty

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2019, 06:38:23 PM »
he says as mozilla broke every addon last week :lol

Not to shit on Mozilla since they're really the only legit good guys in all this, but yeah, this. :lol

Tasty

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2019, 06:39:35 PM »
Also as nuEdge develops, it's going to be increasingly difficult for Firefox to not be the worst browser on Windows due to MS's work also translating to Chrome and Opera.

:yikes

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2019, 06:41:34 PM »
i still use ff as my main browser and chrome just for casting shit. dunno what it is but giantbomb videos just lag or skip around for me in chrome. also ff disabling autoplaying videos is :delicious

Tasty

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2019, 06:48:02 PM »
Edge adopting Chromium and Microsoft committing code to it  :rejoice

Firefox taking after Chrome on speedy updates, the UI and standards support :rejoice

Chrome taking after Firefox and Safari on privacy stuff and ad-blocking :rejoice

Everyone wins :rejoice

Tasty