Author Topic: Pogi-BB, Himu, and HoMoMo: Get through back issues of One Piece for $2/month.  (Read 8704 times)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!

:uguu To be honest, I haven't delved into Shonen Jump properties, but this is a damn fine deal IMO. Enough to make me start looking into their digital reader application (already up)'s library to see if there's more things than One Piece and My Hero Academia to read.

Himu

This is my opportunity to advertise One Piece as the greatest comic ever made. When it is over, it will have outsold Batman and Superman and known across the world as the greatest comic ever made and you will be sad if you are not a part of it. I am expecting it to outsell Batman's lifetime sales next year. I think it's getting close.

Real facts.
IYKYK

Himu

If you do not believe me and you're having trouble getting into it at the early stages read until they hit Loguetown. If you do not like it by the time they hit the Grand Line all is lost for you. It takes them approx. 100 chapters for them to get to the Grand Line, which frankly, is nothing. But stick with it. Once Arlong is in the picture, every arc gets better and better than the one before with few exceptions.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:18:25 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

Finally, One Piece has been a part of my life since I was 18. I have been reading it ever since. It has brought me countless joy these years and I have been reading it almost half of my life. It will bring you joy as well.

IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
This sounds a lot about what you've said about Shenmue. :doge

benjipwns

When creating a Devil Fruit, Oda thinks of something that would fulfill a human desire; he added that he does not see why he would draw a Devil Fruit unless the fruit's appearance would entice one to eat it.
:rollsafe

Himu

IYKYK

benjipwns

a single fight scene that literally lasted for over 250 pages
No joke, when Luffy just flat-out said "I can beat you," I had to put the book down and go do a couple of pushups. I was that pumped.
:donot

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Already got:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
If the Death of Superman storyline didn't use the visual motif of decreasing panels it would have no merits whatsoever.
[close]
[close]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:55:20 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

lolololol was halfway through Chapter 2 when I realized I wasn't reading the panels right to left :dead

not the biggest problem but I always get confused when they change the pages on the US copies so you read front to back

i didn't realize when i made the Shenmue comment in friendly jest that there would be SO MANY SAILORS and PEOPLE LOOKING FOR SAILORS in this

Himu

I like the anime but at the same time, fuck the anime.

It’s not a bad route starting out but still no replacement for the manga.

Imo the best manner is to just read the manga and if you ever encounter a great scene in the manga search for it in YouTube and it will be there in clip form without having to dedicate 20 minutes of your time to watching it. Watching the anime is a time commitment. The manga takes less to go through and you’ll know if you like it or not faster.

The manga also has better art, pacing, cover stories (like how they managed Koby’s arc or teased Garp), and was curated by Oda. That said, the anime is worth watching to a point. I just can’t recommend watching the anime over the manga for too many reasons.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Dropped One Piece after Luffy got Ace's fruit in that tournament thing, this fucking manga is going to go on forever

Himu

Dropped One Piece after Luffy got Ace's fruit in that tournament thing, this fucking manga is going to go on forever

It’s actually preparing for end game currently.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Glad to see someone finally do something sensible with pricing- I have been wanting to get into One Piece for the longest time and I'm going to give this a try to finally start reading through it.
ど助平

Tasty

I'd rather re-read Yugioh.

Kazuki Takahashi's art. <3

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
 :goldberg
I'd rather re-read Yugioh.

Kazuki Takahashi's art. <3
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

Will believe it when I see it.  It's way too popular and makes way too much money.  Watch it take another 10 years for the end game to happen.
ど助平

hampster

:drool
Is there a list of series anywhere? Don't see one on the website.
Zzz

thisismyusername

:drool
Is there a list of series anywhere? Don't see one on the website.

On the digital reader app, there is. But yeah... they really need to get a catalog up for the subscription to be really enticing. I'd pay $2/month to Marvel, for instance.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

But... it was Sabo who got the fruit. :doge
same thing

Himu

Will believe it when I see it.  It's way too popular and makes way too much money.  Watch it take another 10 years for the end game to happen.

Right now I’m betting on 5.

Preparing for end game != it’s in end game.

But the cards are definitely all on table at this point and moves are being made for the near finale. There two, maybe three more arcs left after the current one. With each last a year or two it puts us at 6 maximum. But we have to finish the current arc which will last all of 2019. So it’ll end likely in 2025 or 2026. But it’s definitely preparing for the end. Almost every week in One Piece now we get answers to questions that have been built up for 15+ years. As a long time fan, it’s beautiful to see and be rewarded almost every week with answers.

Imagine ASOIF. if Martin weren’t a hack and you got answers to decades of build up and he still made books. :uguu

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 12:07:50 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

thisismyusername

Why hasn't PogiJones come in here yet. :( I made this thread specifically for his scientific blogstealing posts. :doge

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Oh man,
I have SoooooooOooooo much to catch up on One Piece. You don't even want to know how far back I am. It's shameful.
que

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
What is One Piece even about? From reading this thread it sounds like a bunch of dudes fighting each other for fruits and sailors
WDW

Himu

What is One Piece even about? From reading this thread it sounds like a bunch of dudes fighting each other for fruits and sailors

It's a pirate manga about romance. Not that romance, but the spirit of adventure. One Piece is the fabled treasure left by a man, Gol D Roger, who donned the title the King of the Pirates. He was the only pirate with a crew that successfully sailed across the world and land at the fabled island of Raftel. Upon his death he declared, with a smile, that he left his treasure on Raftel. It is called One Piece, and it is real! His death was meant to kill the age of the pirates but instead created a golden age of piracy as pirates searched the seas in search for One Piece. Whoever finds it becomes the king - or queen - of pirates. The story is that of an adventure of the main character, Monkey D Luffy, and his crew, as they adventure to find the legend and become legends themselves. No one knows what One Piece is despite it being the title. All we know is that it's a legendary treasure and thus, the adventure begins!

Or, in shortened flavor: Pirates meets X-Men.

:rejoice
IYKYK

curly

• cultural maoist

That's pretty much it

thisismyusername

https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/a751ge/current_set_of_shonen_jump_vault_titles_available/

In case anyone doesn't feel like sitting through the gif. Here is the current list of manga they have to read with subscriptions:

7THGARDEN

ACT-AGE

ALL YOU NEED IS KILL (Manga)

ASSASSINATION cLASSROOM

ASTRA LOST IN SPACE

BAKUMAN

BARRAGE

BLACK CAT

BLACK CLOVER

BLACK TORCH

BLEACH

BLUE EXORCIST

BORUTO: NARUTO NEXT GENERATIONS

BOYS OVER FLOWERS SEASON 2

BUSO RENKIN

CHAINSAW MAN

CLAYMORE

COWA!

D.GRAY-MAN

DEATH NOTE

DEMON SLAYER: KIMETSU NO YAIBA

DR. SLUMP

DR. STONE

DRAGON BALL

DRAGON BALL: FULL COLOR FREEZA ARC

DRAGON BALL: FULL COLOR SAIYAN ARC

DRAGON BALL SUPER

DRAGON BALL Z

DRAGON BALL: THAT TIME I GOT REINCARNATED AS YAMCHA!

ELDLIVE

FIRE PUNCH

FOOD WARS!: SHOKUGEKI NO SOMA

GENKAKU PICASSO

GOKUTEI HIGUMA

GUN BLAZE WEST

HAIKYU!!

HELL'S PARADISE: JIGOKURAKU

HI-FI-CLUSTER

HIKARU NO GO

JACO THE GALACTIC PATROLMAN

JUJUTSU KAISEN

JUNI TAISEN: ZODIAC WAR (Manga)

KUROKO'S BASKETBALL

LOVE RUSH!

MUHYO & ROJI'S BUREAU OF SUPERNATURAL INVESTIGATION

MY HERO ACADEMIA

MY HERO ACADEMIA VIGALANTES

NARUTO

NARUTO: CHIBI SASUKE'S SHARINGAN LEGEND

NARUTO: THE SEVENTH HOKAGE AND THE SCARLET SPRING

NEO;LATION

NISEKOI: FALSE LOVE

NURA: RISE THE YOKAI CLAIN

ONE PIECE

PLATINUM END

PRETTY FACE

PSYREN

RAL GRAD

RED SPRITE

ROBOT X LASERBEAM

ROSARIO+VAMPIRE

ROSARIO+VAMPIRE: SEASON II

RUROUNI KENSHIN

RUROUNI KENSHIN: RESTORATION

SAND LAND

SCHOOL JUDGEMENT

SERAPH OF THE END

STEALH SYMPHONY

TAKAMA-GA-HARA

TEGAMI BACHI

THE EMPEROR AND I

THE PRINCE OF TENNIS

THE PROMISED NEVERLAND

TIME KILLERS

TORIKO

TWIN STAR EXORCISTS

WE NEVER LEARN

WORLD TRIGGER

YU-GI-OH!: MILLENNIUM WORLD

YU-GI-OH!: ARC-V

YU-GI-OH! (original pre-duelist kingdom chapters)

YU-GI-OH!: R

YU-GI-OH!: ZEXAL

YU-GI-OH!: DUELIST

YU-GI-OH!: 5D'S

YU-GI-OH!: GX

ZOMBIEPOWDER

Tasty

YU-GI-OH!: MILLENNIUM WORLD

YU-GI-OH!: ARC-V

YU-GI-OH! (original pre-duelist kingdom chapters)

YU-GI-OH!: R

YU-GI-OH!: ZEXAL

YU-GI-OH!: DUELIST

YU-GI-OH!: 5D'S

YU-GI-OH!: GX

Not the Bunkobon but good collection.

thisismyusername

Gotta say Ne0;lation has gotten me to chuckle and the first two issues (which is all it is so far) are completely free and the HTML5 viewer is pretty solid. Might sub for Boys Over Flowers, One Piece, and Death Note.

Shame that Viz doesn't make it the complete collection of things they have licensed, going through Pokemon Adventures for 2 a month? Mmmmm yes.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
Gotta be honest, I’m not a manga guy but I have seen most of the popular animes. Just started Jojo yesterday and I’m enjoying it, but I’m the only one in my friend group that doesn’t watch One Piece and I feel like I get left out a lot. Is it really that good?

Himu

Jojo is fantastic and One Piece really is that good.
IYKYK

Himu

What is One Piece even about?

Adventure, drama and friendship.

I should probably add something to this, cuz that's pretty standard shounen fare AFAIK. :doge

One of my favorite recurring themes of One Piece which is so powerful is that if you die your dreams and ideals can live on, so you don't really die. The next generation can live out your ideals.

It starts out that way too, with Gold Roger's death. He died, but his death heralded the Pirate Era.

There are other, better and more dramatic examples, but I don't wanna spoil anything.

Needless to say, shit is powerful.

:tocry

Indeed.

:tocry
IYKYK

thisismyusername

I'm up to Chapter 60 already. It seems like these fight scenes take 2-5 chapters and are getting bigger and bigger. :doge

thisismyusername

Holy shit. Chapter 82+ is just like... Luffy's entire crew (bar Usop) leveling the fuck up to GDLK status.

Zolo getting through that helicopter six-sword strike to kill the swords. :crazy

PogiJones

Holy shit. Chapter 82+ is just like... Luffy's entire crew (bar Usop) leveling the fuck up to GDLK status.

Zolo getting through that helicopter six-sword strike to kill the swords. :crazy

Just found this thread.

Where you at now? Did you keep going, or drop it at some point?

I watched the anime back in college up until something like episode 500. Can't remember exactly. Then after that the anime was perpetually caught up to the manga, so the anime's pacing after that turned to complete crap. That's when I switched to the manga. Still, I miss the music and voices of the anime. But watching 15 pages of manga be stretched out to 20+ minute episodes became torture. It made me really appreciate the filler-episode approach of series like Naruto, where you could just skip 100 worthless episodes.

Oh, and it's pretty uniformly accepted as Zoro, not Zolo. Those old manga translations might have some weird spellings, though.

thisismyusername

Just found this thread.

Where you at now? Did you keep going, or drop it at some point?

I watched the anime back in college up until something like episode 500. Can't remember exactly. Then after that the anime was perpetually caught up to the manga, so the anime's pacing after that turned to complete crap. That's when I switched to the manga. Still, I miss the music and voices of the anime. But watching 15 pages of manga be stretched out to 20+ minute episodes became torture. It made me really appreciate the filler-episode approach of series like Naruto, where you could just skip 100 worthless episodes.

Oh, and it's pretty uniformly accepted as Zoro, not Zolo. Those old manga translations might have some weird spellings, though.

I'm up to Chapter 230 right now. I'm doing about 10 chapters a day (if work doesn't keep me busy/side-tracking) since I subbed to this Netflix-esque deal. The Crocodile arc.  :whatisthis

I can't imagine the other 6 warlords of the sea if Luffy is being sucked fucking dry by the first one is.

PogiJones

I'm up to Chapter 230 right now. I'm doing about 10 chapters a day (if work doesn't keep me busy/side-tracking) since I subbed to this Netflix-esque deal. The Crocodile arc.  :whatisthis

I can't imagine the other 6 warlords of the sea if Luffy is being sucked fucking dry by the first one is.

Yeah, things really escalate in the Grand Line. I would say the power scaling is not perfect but still pretty good. Certainly better than Naruto/Bleach/DBZ, IMO.

Pell surviving that nuke has become a running joke among fans, though.

Himu

Given the powers we see in OP now, surviving that nuke isn't really shocking tbh. There are strong dudes on the grand line.
IYKYK

PogiJones

Yeah, but Pell isn't one of them. Not one that could/should survive a nuke, anyway.

Himu

Yeah, it was just a bomb and we have no idea if he used haki or not, Pell was pretty strong. Hell the only way Luffy beat Croc was with help.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

Guys... spoilers...

I'm only up to chapter 270 now.

Himu

Don’t  worry about it. Nothing we’ve said is a spoiler.

What’d you think of this part?

DA GOAT :rejoice
IYKYK

Himu

Other scenes from the anime that are utterly amazing.

You don’t really miss anything not watching the anime. Anything classic usually has its own dedicated clip.

The first three OP’s are must watch however.

Of course, don’t look at a single recommended video in the side bar.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

Himu

Fucking legend.

IYKYK

thisismyusername

299 right now: The ending of this Skypia saga. :crazy

Luffy going into the "Kingdom Come" attack to disperse it. :crazy

thisismyusername

Chopper is too adorable for this world. :uguu

Himu

Ah, the old One Piece art style. How I miss you.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

thisismyusername

Himu

Welcome to the paradigm shift arc. When things start to get serious.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

I'm up to chapter 420 now. They still haven't saved Nico Robin but are close to doing so now. :doge

"Gear two."*steam comes out of Luffy*
"Gear three." *turns into a child* "Huh?! Why have you turned into a child!?" :lol

I dunno if these are his Goku-like SSJ "AHHHHHHHHHHH *twenty pages later*" transformations, but they're amusing right now.

thisismyusername

Quote from: Shonen Jump
LATEST FREE CHAPTERS
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure joins the Shonen Jump digital vault! Read now or start your free trial today!

:gladbron :rejoice

My $2 a month sub keeps on giving.

Himu

:beli

Shut up bitch. Update One Piece progress. NAOW!
IYKYK

thisismyusername

I'm on 440. I've been busy with work. Settle down.

thisismyusername

Just for you, bb:

440-449 tonight. I'll probably do 450-469 (#nice) tomorrow.

#ChopperIsMySpiritAnimal

:uguu

(I fucking laughed at this out loud for a good five minutes)

thisismyusername

Chapter 500. #OverTheHillNearly!

400-490 chapters to go (so far).

Y_Y @ Robin.

:gladbron

:lol

TIME TO BRING OUT THE TISSUES AND HANKIES, FOLKS:

:uguu

:fbm

I'm not crying, you're crying. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

:phil  :itagaki

:science :jgames :bedroomeyes

:itagaki :rofl

HOLY SHIT.  :heh :neogaf The wanted poster was of a Sanji look-alike.

Sanji beat him so hard he became pretty though! :uguu (But he can't blink, supposedly. :lol )

So, we're now up to Luffy and Crew trying to find a painter for their new ship to go underwater (as supposed into the sky) for the next island on the Log Pose. Once they do that, they're in the "New World" after that which means the back-half of the Grand Line.

I'm really enjoying the manga. A lot. It keeps cranking up the action, which when reading Dragonball (but this is mostly a complaint about Z), I really miss. Dragonball's "I have to find someone stronger. AHHHHH *training montage*" and that shit gets majorly boring. (I'm mostly reading that for a straight-guy crush, tbh) Whereas here Oda seems to go "yeah, that previous arc? I'm going to throw Luffy and Crew into a loop and while Luffy and crew punch/kick/slice/etc. the shit out of folks, they are also trying to help others while these new Devil Fruit powers change the dynamics of these fights up into crazy proportions" and it's just REALLY FUCKING GOOD and a breath of fresh air as someone that generally doesn't read Shonen manga because of said Dragonball bullshit plotlines.

Himu

Oh shit. I hope you appreciated Thriller Bark because...well...enjoy the ride and see when, where, and why One Piece becomes a cultural phenomenon. Its greatest arc (so far). Let's just say, TB is the last of the feel good arcs. That's all I'll say.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

Chapter 500-529 (I keep the 10's for the next time I read. 9 or so Chapters, but I'm trying to catch up so I'm 100 chapters a month...):

OH SHIT.

:lol Island of women never have seen a man. :lol

:rofl I love when Oda puts heart-eyes on one of the sexes being enthralled by a beauty. It's always a funny thing to me.

Luffy: :supergay

Kidding. Oda made a comparison when he peeped at Nami as "Usopp was in the room and so he acted like a teen boy with him" which is hilarious. I forget the actual response but it was in the SBS/question corner.

Turning point in the Island saga where Luffy wins over most of the women's hearts, eventually.

:neogaf :neogaf :neogaf Sanji getting a taste of his own medicine. :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf

:lol

---

So we're up to another jailbreak (so soon!?) but this time around, it's saving Luffy's brother, Ace!, from execution!

Bonus: Buggy, Mr. 3, and Crocodile are also there. And Buggy and Mr. 3 are helping Luffy go down (while they want to go UP!) to see Ace/break him out.

It's cool to see Oda revisit old characters and allow the crew to change their minds on them. Old enemies becoming allies/friends or just being annoying.

Himu

Enjoy. It took Oda ten years to build up to that arc.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

Chapters 530-559:

(Bon clay and her being the GLBT representation is a bit  :-\ but I love it too much to be :trigger )

I love it when Luffy gets stars in his eyes over stuff like this.  :lol

:fbm

OH SHIT. Buggy is the brother of Shanks, if I'm reading that right.

REAL FUCKING SPOILERS RIGHT HERE
[close]

I said "oh shit" out loud. I wasn't expecting that twist at all.

:uguu The power of family.
---

Anyway, the "war" has started. Luffy's crew is still broken apart (I guess this is where the time-skip I've heard about comes in soon) is Luffy is nearly at Ace's side. Meanwhile, the war is going on all around him and shit is popping off. I had to stop for the night (as reading another 20 or so chapters to catch up to my 100 chapters a month goal would burn me out to like 1AM-2AM on catching up at my current reading speeds), but MANNNNNN I don't want to. This war popping off is good reading.