Author Topic: Game  (Read 17673 times)

Borys

Game
« on: January 10, 2019, 04:38:05 AM »
`
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 11:10:24 AM by Borys »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: What did you finish in 2019?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 02:51:42 PM »
:bow beatin' vidyas :bow2
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 01:29:46 AM »
Decided to play through Resident Evil 4 to get hype for the RE2 remake. Game still owns, I still suck at the jet ski sequence at the end.
yar

Bebpo

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 05:00:41 AM »

Beat ex-Irem's City Shrouded in Shadow / Kyoei Toshi import. Was like 2/3rds through in my backlog so finished it up pretty quick.

It's a terrible videogame that's worth playing. Like as a videogame it's like a 3/10 jank, but I'd probably give it 7/10 because it's literally the best so bad it's good game I've ever played. This is like Ed Wood's Planet 9 from Outer Space of videogames. Although I think in this case it was intentional and the developers just know they are terrible at making videogames so they decided to make it hilarious af and it works.

Also you can tell they ran out of money because the first stage is like 30-45 mins long and the back half stages are like 5-15 mins long. All the money went into choose your own adventure dialogue choices. There's like 4-8 choices for every situation and every choice gets a fully voiced and animated cutscene reaction to it. So you can play it as a serious straight forward game, or you can be a complete troll the entire time. My character was a total asshole who only cared about saving himself and would barter with people to save them. Like one of the lines was when your girlfriend is stuck and she wants you to pull her out and if you pick well what will you give me as a reward for it, there'll be a choice for like $50 and then another for $150 and then one that says "$500,000 (although I'm pretty sure she doesn't have $500,000)"

And even the random NPCs are hilarious as fuck. I talked to some guy on the street and he goes "There's aliens everywhere, I gotta get out of here. Hey, wanna buy my French Restaurant down the street. I'll sell it for $50,000" and you get dialogue choices 1) Buy restaurant for $50,000, 2) Haggle, 3) Don't buy restaurant. And I picked haggle and he went down to $10,000 and it gave me an option to buy his great french restaurant for $10,000 but the most money you get in the game is like a few hundred bucks so you can't even buy it and the whole dialogue is just for the fuck of it.

Also every save point is a random object and when you go to save it tells you what that object is. For instance:

"A Fire Hydrant. Save?"
"A Japanese Maple Tree. Save?"
"A Well Maintained AC unit. Save?"

The game is short running away from stuff and there is check pointing every 2 mins because there's tons of instakill moves outta nowhere so you're always dying but it's not that painful thanks to the checkpoints. I mean it does make sense that if Godzilla or Ultraman or whatever steps on you it'd be an Instakill. There are some NPC quests but after doing a couple I generally just avoided them because even if they're funny the gameplay sucks too much so I just stuck to the main scenario.

They should bring this to the US and sell it for like $15-20. It'd be the kind of game that would get 2/10 reviews and 7/10 reviews and user reviews would probably be positive if the price was cheap enough. Imo it's worth a play through if you like stupid stuff (aka most Suda51).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 05:05:03 AM by Bebpo »

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 11:14:35 AM »
I beat Spider-Man (PS4) yesterday. Nothing revolutionary but I always loved the Arkham games so it definitely filled that niche. Swinging around the city was a blast and I did way more side stories than I figured I would.

(Image removed from quote.)

Beat ex-Irem's City Shrouded in Shadow / Kyoei Toshi import. Was like 2/3rds through in my backlog so finished it up pretty quick.

It's a terrible videogame that's worth playing. Like as a videogame it's like a 3/10 jank, but I'd probably give it 7/10 because it's literally the best so bad it's good game I've ever played. This is like Ed Wood's Planet 9 from Outer Space of videogames. Although I think in this case it was intentional and the developers just know they are terrible at making videogames so they decided to make it hilarious af and it works.

Also you can tell they ran out of money because the first stage is like 30-45 mins long and the back half stages are like 5-15 mins long. All the money went into choose your own adventure dialogue choices. There's like 4-8 choices for every situation and every choice gets a fully voiced and animated cutscene reaction to it. So you can play it as a serious straight forward game, or you can be a complete troll the entire time. My character was a total asshole who only cared about saving himself and would barter with people to save them. Like one of the lines was when your girlfriend is stuck and she wants you to pull her out and if you pick well what will you give me as a reward for it, there'll be a choice for like $50 and then another for $150 and then one that says "$500,000 (although I'm pretty sure she doesn't have $500,000)"

And even the random NPCs are hilarious as fuck. I talked to some guy on the street and he goes "There's aliens everywhere, I gotta get out of here. Hey, wanna buy my French Restaurant down the street. I'll sell it for $50,000" and you get dialogue choices 1) Buy restaurant for $50,000, 2) Haggle, 3) Don't buy restaurant. And I picked haggle and he went down to $10,000 and it gave me an option to buy his great french restaurant for $10,000 but the most money you get in the game is like a few hundred bucks so you can't even buy it and the whole dialogue is just for the fuck of it.

Also every save point is a random object and when you go to save it tells you what that object is. For instance:

"A Fire Hydrant. Save?"
"A Japanese Maple Tree. Save?"
"A Well Maintained AC unit. Save?"

The game is short running away from stuff and there is check pointing every 2 mins because there's tons of instakill moves outta nowhere so you're always dying but it's not that painful thanks to the checkpoints. I mean it does make sense that if Godzilla or Ultraman or whatever steps on you it'd be an Instakill. There are some NPC quests but after doing a couple I generally just avoided them because even if they're funny the gameplay sucks too much so I just stuck to the main scenario.

They should bring this to the US and sell it for like $15-20. It'd be the kind of game that would get 2/10 reviews and 7/10 reviews and user reviews would probably be positive if the price was cheap enough. Imo it's worth a play through if you like stupid stuff (aka most Suda51).

I picked this up in Japan and have played a little bit of the first mission with Ultraman. It is jaaaaanky but still fun, and my daughter loves watching and making up a storyline for it.
野球

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 10:20:18 AM »
Xbox One:

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Vita:

Iconoclasts
Papers, Please

PS4:

Kingdom Hearts 2.5
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 04:06:06 AM »
january:

Professor Layton 3 - better than the first games that felt too much like brain training with a couple of cutscenes. This game still is that, but at least more creative.
Pokemon Gold DS - why are there new pokemons all over this? disgusting. Either way, it was okay. Even the best pokeyman is a 7/10 at best, battles are just stupidly slow for no reason.
Resident Evil 2 remake - Great level design and balancing make for a good amount of tension, the graphics are amazing (even though they can't beat the art that is REmake1's fixed camera). The biggest gripe I have is too little music in the beginning hours. It's very different from 2, as expected, and I don't think it's a close 10 like the former, but at least a solid 9.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 04:07:27 AM »
Did you turn off battle animation in Pokemon?

paprikastaude

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 04:10:06 AM »
yes

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 04:56:42 PM »
Kingdom Hearts III

Super fun and super nonsensical at times. What I expected.

Now on to finishing up Dragon Quest XI from the Fall. Put 9 hours into it around the time you get Sylvando and got distracted.
野球

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 06:47:01 PM »
Resident Evil 2 remake

Further proof that when they give a shit, Capcom are still really, really good at making games.
yar

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 11:51:09 PM »
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey - Well, the main-story. I haven't gotten around to the DLC yet. I feel Greece is WAY TOO HUGE for it's own good. Like, Egypt in Origins felt huge (but really wasn't once you've started to do all the checkpoints for the achievement about that), but this is like 20x the size of that which is just insane. There's way too much to do, IMO.

Metro 2033 - Finished it on Normal. Got the "If it's hostile, you kill it." ending, which apparently is the canon ending. So... :doge It wasn't a bad adventure, but the AI is kinda... dumb. They either see you or don't. The stealth (in the THQ version which I played, apparently Redux fixes this) sucks ass. I got the stealth achievements so if I bother to replay certain levels that want stealth to be done for those, I can at least blast through enemies.

I kinda think having the series be open world (like Exodus apparently does) will be better than a linear shooter since I feel exploring Moscow and going through the Metro tunnels would be better than being lead through the tunnels and only seeing top-side/Moscow like 2-4 times throughout the entire game. :doge

Svejk

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 08:18:59 AM »
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey - Well, the main-story. I haven't gotten around to the DLC yet. I feel Greece is WAY TOO HUGE for it's own good. Like, Egypt in Origins felt huge (but really wasn't once you've started to do all the checkpoints for the achievement about that), but this is like 20x the size of that which is just insane. There's way too much to do, IMO.
I finished this last weekend myself, and I completely agree.  I never thought I'd ever complain about a game having TOO much content.... But in this case, it was unnecessary to have such girth.  Just glad I can move onto other games finally.  :lol

paprikastaude

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 07:26:06 AM »
february:

Zelda: Link's Awakening, replay. I still find it very dumb to design a Zelda overworld like a dungeon, which is exhausting for several reasons - especially on GB. But the setting and story is still good, which is why I always wished for a RE2make-tier remake that uses the story for a bigger game (i.e. redesign the island like a small-scale BotW). Guess that isn't going to happen now. However, similar to Shadow of the Colossus, a bigger field of view for the world map and better controls (no more constant item switching) will improve the game a lot in the remake. I found Zelda 1-3 better than the OG, but I suspect this will change with the remaster.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 07:30:08 AM by Spieler1 »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 04:47:25 PM »
DmC (the Xbox one remake version) pretty sweet game

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2019, 11:30:40 PM »
Xbox One:

Resident Evil 2
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Vita:

Tokyo Xanadu

PS4:

428: Shibuya Scramble
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
fat

Svejk

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 09:11:42 AM »
Also for 100% this game would be banned now on  :reeeee due to sexual innuendos all around and sexualization of females (this is how would they put it when women want to be women).
You should try Policenauts.  It's even worse.  :lol  They got some well written English patches for it.  It's no Snatcher imo, but still has that Kojima vibe throughout.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 03:52:20 PM »
Snatcher is one of those games I always wanted to play

Maybe one day they will release it on something I own

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2019, 06:30:39 AM »
Stuff I've beaten in the past couple months:

Resident Evil 3 (PS1) - Some great locations but it's a reheat of RE2 with less tight design and much less content just having one main campaign. Probably inferior to the first 2 games but still very good.

Red Dead 2: amazing technical achievement bogged down by trying to do too much. Ambient gameplay is superb but mainline missions are repetitive and unmemorable, online has potential but not that good as it is. Needs to focus on much more PvE gameplay (where are the sweet gang hideouts?!)

Never Alone: Poor game but curious cultural artefact. Nice mythology and music. Easy gamerscore which is always welcome.

Celeste: Suberb maingame with frustrating "extra for experts" content. There is so much content for a game made by a tiny team, pretty impressive. Definitely an exemplar of it's genre and deserving of all its praise,

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 05:43:10 AM »
1) Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Great turn based strategy game in the vein of Xcom. Pace is a lot higher due to higher mobility. In between the stages you do some exploring and solve some puzzles to change things up. Towards the end its a bit more trial and error then tacticać nous as some have said here but still a great overall experience and one of the gems in the Switch collection. Will probably try the Donkey Kong dlc as well some day.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 10:32:45 AM »
DONE: Went back to Horizon Zero Dawn; one of you guys convinced me that I was halfway through the game, but there was only an hour or so left. Going back to the combat in the endgame without remembering the controls was difficult, but I'm watching the endless credits now. Srsly, wtf, it's got in-engine credits for 15 minutes and then goes into a long-ass standard scroll? Who has time for this?

…Oh, hey. There's a skip button.

Holy shit, that's some '80s horror film level "to be continued" bullshit in the post-credits scene. Uuuuuurrrrnnnnghh.

Good game. Borders on overstaying its welcome. Don't want to play the DLC. I'm level 48 and have stuff I can still do, but probably will move back to Arkham Knight or one of the PS+ games.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 11:40:46 AM »
Whats up with the adventure games bender Borys?

Svejk

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 09:07:51 AM »
Easy, short games :bow

Got sick of 100+ hours RPGs.
Maybe a silly question, but are you basically just scooping these up on PC?  On emulators?

thisismyusername

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 01:18:11 AM »
Grand Theft Auto 4: The Ballad of Gay Tony - Felt shorter than the Lost and Damned (which I finished in 2014 apparently) to me. And really, while the mission variation was nice, I couldn't care about Luis or Tony at all.

Nice to see the "other side" of the diamond heist and all, but ultimately none of that matters since the diamonds go to a hobo. :doge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 02:37:28 AM »
Grand Theft Auto 4: The Ballad of Gay Tony - Felt shorter than the Lost and Damned (which I finished in 2014 apparently) to me. And really, while the mission variation was nice, I couldn't care about Luis or Tony at all.

Nice to see the "other side" of the diamond heist and all, but ultimately none of that matters since the diamonds go to a hobo. :doge

As someone who didn't like the main story of GTA IV, I enjoyed that TBOGT trivialized and poked fun of just /how/ cursed those fucking diamonds were. I also wan't thrilled with the Get All Gold on Every Mission achievement, because the last one in the dance club was a steaming pile of horseshit with a bunch of meaningless travel at its outset. Shit, I'm remembering how many times I had to run out of "Central Park" and try to find a car, drive it without damage to the club, and then deal with waves of suicidal enemies rushing up my stairs while trying to defend Tony... Yeah, no thanks. Between that, and the dockside mission where Luis tries to save his idiot cousins from their own stupidity, there was no way for me to get all Gold.

Lost and the Damned, in contrast, brought back the ability to do as many damned side missions as I want, so I could run drugs or turf missions indefinitely.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2019, 01:37:44 AM »
2) Captain Toad: Treasure Trackers

Bit torn on this one. One hand its charming, fun and smart. Not too hard (except some bit irritating bits that the game will offer you an invincibility mushroom for if you die a few times) but not too easy either.  I collected all the diamonds and felt like that was just right the right thing to do.

The thing is the game is mega chill and it will put a smile on your face, but it doesn't have any moments that are omg amazing.

So all in all would definitely recommend for 10 hours of feel good relaxed gaming that will just challenge you enough for it not to get vlring (maybe play 2-3 levels at a time?).

Bebpo

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2019, 03:27:06 PM »
20 games down so far this year. Mostly just working through my active backlog.

Monster Hunter GU 3.5/4
Xenoblade 2 3/4
Hitman 2 3.5/4
City Shrouded in Darkness 3/4
Monster Hunter World 3.5/4
Hollow Knight 4/4
Chuchel 3/4
Psychonauts: Rhombus of Ruin 2.5/4
Astrobot VR 4/4
Kingdom Hearts 3 3.5/4
Smash Ultimate 3.5/4
Resident Evil 2 Remake 3.5/4
Florence 3/4
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 3.5/4
Zone of the Enders 2 HD PS4 3/4
Into the Breach 2.5/4
Assassin's Creed Origins 3.5/4
Mutant Road Zero 3/4
FF14 Patch 4.4 3.5/4
FF14 Patch 4.5 3/4

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2019, 01:00:05 AM »
How can you give into the breach such a low score? Also what did you count as beating it?

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2019, 01:10:27 AM »
3) Splatoon 2

This was sitting half beat in my backlog so decided to finish the job as I quite liked it.

Splatoon 2 is a good game that could have been a 9/10 with some improvements. The idea of running around and painting and all its implications is novel and really works well. The graphics are crisp, the music is weird but banging and the art design is fresh. There is a good single player campaign that offers plenty challenge but the main event is the multiplayer here.

Why isn't it a 9/10 game?

My biggest gripe is the unexplainable sin that happens when you want to play, you are made to sit through a 1 minute cutscene you can't skip but have to press A multiple times to advance text. This bit details the maps that are in rotation. Who cares. I fucking hate this and it made me stop playing the multiplayer. Really inexcusable.

Second is the fact the coop horde mode that is a lot of fun with a friend was also on rotation. Only Nintendo could not understand what makes multiplayer games work so much. Like you login to play some coop with a friend? Too bad just wait a few days bro that mode is not available today. Totally bizarro world.

Finally the single player mode could have used some polish in how its presented.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 01:22:01 AM by Premium Lager »

Bebpo

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2019, 01:34:56 AM »
How can you give into the breach such a low score? Also what did you count as beating it?

I didn't like it. Clearing one run was enough for me. I played a few runs and it just felt like the same thing over and over. I don't like how long the runs are (2 hours or so) since a couple minor mistakes kills a run 90 mins in, and all the map tricks like volcanos/tidal waves/etc.. all feel the same. It just feels way more gimmicky than FTL did to me. And fwiw I didn't love FTL either, but I liked it better than this for sure. I like rogue games, like rogue legacy was great and crypt of the necrodancer is great, but this team's games just aren't my thing.

Like the first 30 mins of the game left a great impression, and then realizing that everything after played pretty much the same, the more I played it the less I liked it. I also don't enjoy how little carries over. If more stuff carried over it'd have a better sense of progression imo.

Bebpo

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2019, 01:31:17 PM »

You've beaten 20 games in 2.5 months?

Are you on retirement or something? Sorry, but I thought you had a 8:00-20:00 lawyer job that leaves no time for gaming.

lol, most of that stuff were games I played last year and just finished this year. Been working through my active backlog aka games I started last year or the year before and was pretty far in but never finished, so finishing them up. Plus was sick for most of 2019, so haven't done a lot of social stuff and haven't been dating because of it, so pretty much just working and gaming this year so far.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2019, 02:47:17 PM »
4) Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

Overall I enjoyed this game, but compared to other retro inspired titles like Axiom Verge it felt a bit light and lacking anything special maybe? Granted I never played Castelvanias back in the day so maybe I lack the nostalgia. Played on normal/veteran btw.
Still enjoyable few hours, 6/7 out of 10.

Bebpo

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2019, 03:00:09 PM »
#21 - House in Fata Morgana Gaiden: Requiem for Innocence - Finished reading this last night. It's a gaiden/expansion to House in Fata Morgana that takes one of the backstories that's told in like 2 hours in Fata Morgana and expands it to a 9-10 hour re-telling with much more depth. Gaiden reads well and like House in Fata Morgana that localization is A++++ amazing (who would've thought that porn translators at Mangagamers would be Alexander O. Smith level translators/writers), lots of likeable characters and great music/art.

But at the end of the day it's a re-telling of a story already told so you know how it's going to go/end and it's sorta unnecessary. All it does it take a backstory that is already DEPRESSINGLY BLEAK and make it EVEN MORE DEPRESSING because it fleshes out the characters on their way to their doom.

The Gaiden also has a handful of like 15 min to 1 hour original side-stories. I liked these.

I'm definitely 1000% interested in whatever this dev team writes next and hope mangagamer gets the same localization team on it. But I'd be hesitant to recommend Requiem for Innocence unless you really loved House in Fata Morgana and want 12-13 hours more of good writing/art/music and don't mind it's a retelling of a story you've already read for most of it.

But yeah, read House in Fata Morgana! Probably best VN I've ever read. Really good story and music.

thisismyusername

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2019, 06:56:06 PM »
The Walking Dead: The Final Season (Pirated because fuck Epic's store) -

Made me laugh. The season is a massive improvement over Season 2 and 3, IMO.

Spoilers for those that care
I killed Lily, because fuck that bitch. Season 1 terrible character, season 4 ruthless character returning from the dead. Bleh.

Saved like most of the school, outside of 3 kids deaths, which seemed "your choices matter"/railroaded into dying.

James was interesting, but his "I DON'T WANT TO KILL ANYONE TO SAVE MY HUMANITY!" shtick was terrible and him leaving because I turned AJ into a stone-cold killer that is able to survive was dumb. He should know given he was part of the Whisperers.

AJ saved Clem. I was pretty happy about that, but also disappointed that they make you think he killed her for a bit before that. It would've been 1:1 with Lee's journey (but longer since you raise AJ starting with season 2-3) for Clem if she died. But I'm glad she and AJ have a "home."
[close]

Beg's the question if Telltale would've done one more with AJ as the character. On one hand, I don't really want that because the series has worn out it's welcome. But on the other with AJ's thought bubbled, I figured the series would actually be kinda interesting it wasn't on the same engine going forward.

Bebpo

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2019, 11:52:20 PM »
Slight addendum to my Fata Morgana Gaiden review above. Turns out there's a hidden secret ending chapter and then a secret ending ending short story that you have to find fan-translated on a blog. After reading those I like Requiem more. They bookend it nice.

I also discovered when going down that rabbit hole of all the Fata Morgana short stories available on the web and in ports that there is a true true true ending finality path to the story...locked away in the Vita port that's JPN only that's 4 hours+ long and full VA. Definitely one of those times I get to put my JP language skills to use! Picked it up for 40% off on the JP store and re-charging my Vita now. Will see this story through to the very final end.

Svejk

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2019, 01:41:12 PM »
Finished Monster Boy and got the platty.  What a fantastic game!  This was the ultimate love letter to the series as a whole.  It almost felt like this game was made for me.  :D Took about 30 hours to complete.  It's one of the best Metroidvanias I've played in a long time.  I'll admit that the boss battles weren't much of a challenge at all, but like Mario and Zelda bosses, it's more a neat and creative spectacle using your new ability than straight up read animation queues and git gud.  Anyone's whoever played and enjoyed any game in the Wonder Boy series NEEDS to play Monster Boy!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 01:47:20 PM by Svejk »

paprikastaude

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2019, 04:04:24 PM »
March:

Devil May Cry V - I wish the level design was better, both in gamedesign and artistically (even if the work of the RE engine is astounding nonetheless). Other than that, it's fun to fight things even if you have no idea what you're doing. V is great. I also wish some of the things in the story were different, but overall the story telling was pretty fun too. Great music too. And boss fights.

Bebpo

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2019, 02:46:51 PM »
11-11 Memories Retold - Like Valiant Hearts, a WW1 depressing narrative story with some puzzle/adventure gameplay. Visuals are by Aardman studios from Wallace & Grommit, so the art style is fantastic and the music is fantastic. Pretty good writing and VA. I definitely thought it was very much worth a playthrough and my only negative is the (optional) collectible hunting in the game is out of place, but I guess when you're selling a 5 hour narrative game for $40 you need to but some bs gameplay in to artificially add a couple hours for people going for everything. I missed most of the collectibles which is a bummer because they have good historical info on them that I would have liked to have read throughout. Otherwise though it's quite good.

Also is in a humble bundle now for $10. Fully recommend it at that if you're down with walking sims. I have no idea how Namco Bandai agreed to publish this. It's the kind of art game that's a guaranteed money loser as a medium budget $40 game. But hey, glad they did and it exists!

Very good companion piece to the Peter Jackson They Shall Not Grow Old WW1 documentary.

Bebpo

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2019, 03:51:05 AM »
Congrats on the final boss clear Borys!

thisismyusername

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2019, 10:13:12 PM »
Devil May Cry 2: HD version - Man... I dunno where to begin with this... It's completely insane how Itsuno turned the series around with 3. 2 is trying to copy 1's horror aesthetic but turns Dante into a completely boring brooding asshole. The main villain isn't explained beyond "uh, he just want to destroy the world, lol!" and then Dante is just stuck in "hell" with no actual ending.

I can't even believe this is part of the canon at this point, especially since 5 basically ignores it in the "timeline of the DMC series." :lol

Chooky

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2019, 07:57:06 AM »
i'm trying to replay it right now and it's just as bad as i remembered. they took a game that attempted to blend action gaming with fighting game mechanics and followed it up with an ultra-bland action game with with moveset about as deep as double dragon's. it's so fucking boring it hurts.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2019, 05:50:07 PM »
5) South Park: Stick of Truth

100% the most funny and distasteful game I ever played, kudos to the writing. It's one long over the top love letter to South Park and role playing games. Really fun stuff that should put a smile on most peoples faces.

Few small nibbles: no real challenge, absurd qte event near the end, had a few bugs as well.

8.5/10

thisismyusername

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2019, 10:40:38 PM »
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (1) - :doge @ ending. (No faction, seeing the bomb I then reload and leave, leaving LaCroix to figure out the bomb in the mummy) The combat is pure ass, IMO. Like... really really ass, even by 2004 standards.

It wasn't bad, but I don't get the "cult classic" status for it. I feel the table-top RPG is better suited than this. :yeshrug

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2019, 06:32:42 AM »
It was the only worthy successor to Deus Ex until Human Revolution came along. Big points for being an RPG set in modern times.

As for combat: Yes. It's something you should obviate or break. Doesn't make it good, but... When it initially come out, the katana from an early Santa Monica quest was completely busted. The thing trivialized combat to such a degree you'd use it till the end of the game, where you could get a straight upgrade to it.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2019, 10:15:30 AM »
I finished both The Suffering games on my Xbox.

Both are pretty janky third person games (with an optional FPS mode). Neither game really explains why there are monsters everywhere beyond "the horrors of people's hearts" I guess. Throughout the game your dead wife and kids call you a piece of shit, but then 5 minutes later your dead ghost wife is like "oh baby ur a good person" but then shes like "wow ur a piece of shit, fuck you i get nice dick in hell"

Anyway, in a completely unique twist it turns out someone else killed your wife and kids and you escape alcatraz.

In the sequel you wind up in the mean streets of baltimore and fight your way through a crack house, befriend an islamic black man with a shotgun, help a junkie get his fix, and find out the "killer" that you thought wasn't you at the end of the first game was actually you because in a unique twist in storytelling it turns out you have a split personality that wants to take over.

Anyway these games arent that good
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2019, 07:08:55 PM »
Focus on story in a Midway game, brehs…

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2019, 09:01:59 PM »

Gameplay was worse.
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2019, 12:42:36 AM »

Gameplay was worse.

Expect anything positive or noteworthy from a (non-coin-op) Midway game, brehs...

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2019, 02:19:10 AM »
Plenty of good midway games. Sounds like you got a chip on your shoulder, you should get it looked at
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2019, 09:21:58 PM »
Plenty of good midway games. Sounds like you got a chip on your shoulder, you should get it looked at

Enh, I worked there. Most of the company was being railroaded by a guy who had miserable taste in games.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2019, 01:44:53 PM »
Ys 8: Lacrimosa of Dana (Vita)

Platinum of course. Game is amazing and better than Sekiro

Long wait for Monstrum Nox....

And finished Kingdom Hearts 0.2 cause why not
fat

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2019, 02:36:43 PM »
6 Starlink: Battle for Atlas

This game is everything that is wrong and right with Ubisoft. The game is repetitive and flawed, even at 15 hours you are tired of doing the same thing over and over again (luckily this is enough to complete it with Fox max level and his side mission done).

But the gunplay is ok and I just kept playing for some reason, the sotry is ass and the star fox content is ok. There is a ton of pointless grind and things to do if you want to but its not needed.

If this wasnt made as a toys game it could have been really decent, I think this team could make a proper space opera if Ubisoft let thempr Nintendo gave them their Star Fox license. I know Ubisoft can do it (see Mario Rabbids)

I might try out the future Fox DLC if its some real good content and not just fly to planet X and do X Y Z again.

Tldr: More unique content and battles would have been preferred over 6 planets with the same shit.

5/10

thisismyusername

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2019, 12:44:00 AM »
Puzzle Quest: Galactrix - Been meaning to, since I purchased it like way back in 2009 or so. So... I did.

...That's about all I can say about it. The game is weaker than Challenge of the Warlords and really annoying to play due to the leapgate hacking mini-game and other mini-games and the AI cheating with the gravity bullshit for the match 3.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2019, 12:05:49 PM »
I gave DS action RPG Fighting Fantasy: Warlock of Firetop Mountain another chance. My first attempt was years back and ended very quickly due to my build not panning out. This time I went full tank. Sword+board, dumped most of my points into HP, chose Regeneration as my starting ability and also pumped Dodge. That worked out very well. Not only did it take the edge off the first few levels, but it allowed me to explore until my inventory was full for the majority of the game. On my earlier attempt I had to constantly beat near-death retreats to safepoints or merchants.

But even this beefy character would have hit a brick wall during the final few encounters, because those are hell for close-range fighters. A bow and very advanced tactics (i.e. hiding behind conveniently placed pillars) turned things from hair-pulling frustration to deflated resignation. The AI was in fact so bad at maintaining line-of-sight I could pelt the side of its sprite from cover. :|

I also ended up moving my save to the PC so I could use an emulator. 360 controller + mouse wasn't ideal, but at least it didn't cramp my hand the way the DS tends to. I keep forgetting how uncomfortable it is to hold.

I also finished point'n'click Gemini Rue after this thread reminded me that I own it. A thoroughly OK (if extremely predictable) sci-fi tale with non-bullshit puzzles. (Safe for that one time I overlooked a smudge on a wall, sending me FAQing in exhasperation. Wouldn't be a point'n'click otherwise, I guess).
I could have done without the awkward shooting mechanic, but thankfully there is a difficulty option for it, which I set to easy right away.
Oh, I also stumbled upon Ed and Ein from Cowboy Bebop. I prefered the subtle references, but it was a nice surprise regardless.

thisismyusername

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2019, 11:57:18 PM »
End of Eternity/Resonance of Fate - Cool Combat system. Japan doesn't know how guns work: the game. Meh story that is bits and pieces until like chapter 7 (of like 16) and even then it's BARELY explained. You get more information from the Wikipedia page for fucks sake. :lol

Pretty skippable JRPG, IMO.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 12:09:36 AM by thisismyusername »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2019, 02:25:46 AM »
End of Eternity/Resonance of Fate - Cool Combat system. Japan doesn't know how guns work: the game. Meh story that is bits and pieces until like chapter 7 (of like 16) and even then it's BARELY explained. You get more information from the Wikipedia page for fucks sake. :lol

Pretty skippable JRPG, IMO.

I remember seeing a documentary on SPEED RACER, and the animators talked about how they got such crazy ideas for the Mach V. Like, a homing beacon and buzz saws and jumping struts; the animators said that they didn't know anything about cars, that they didn't even know how to drive, when they made Speed Racer.

paprikastaude

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2019, 10:50:57 AM »
April:

Sekiro - This is a very good game that nails its dueling feel and has overall been the needed deviation from prior Miyazaki titles. The difficulty is okay. But there's definitely frustrations, because of some moments of bad camera/level design. The atmosphere is great, excluding a few remaining Souls tropes (i.e. AI and enemy placements) that don't make much sense in an actual lived-in world. But the hickups are minor, I played through the game three times.

Dragon Ball Origins 2 - I had the sudden urge to get the first DBO a decade LTTP, but decided on the sequel - since it covers the better story arc. After the first couple of stages I thought this would be a generic brawler. Yet it turned out there's actually lots of fun variety and satisfying combat/level scenarios down the line. I saw that the makers of Genji/Folklore did this - makes sense. I was only disappointed that the touchscreen controls are kind of shit - I was hoping for something that controls as well as Zelda DS or Ninja Gaiden DS. Thankfully there's normal button controls.

Tales of Vesperia - I was hyped up for this game for a decade, so it could only disappoint and at first it did. The first 10 hours were indeed rough. The dungeons are way more braindead than in prior titles, combat felt stiff even for Tales standards and the soundtrack wasn't exactly glowing. The cel shading/diorama look and its decent characters were the saving grace. After the first third of the game though, most things improved a lot. Still, apart from graphics and characters, I feel prior Tales games were superior and Vesperia is already a little too close to lame later Tales games' game design (especially dungeons and music).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:31:29 AM by Spieler1 »

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2019, 12:34:36 AM »
I am done with 9) Guacamelee! 2 (28.04.2019)

10) Oxenfree (01.05.2019)

Well... it's an indie game alright. Bad graphics but good writing, dialogues and what's surprising voice overs. Very cliched approach to the "horror island" theme, though. Glad it was free on Epic because it is not worth much to be honest. A 3 hour title with all photos, anomalies and letters found. Super short and not fullfilling at all.

Kentucky Route Zero is miles better and advanced even though it feels simplified with limited/ removed controls.

Couldnt get myself to finish this, got sooooo boring towards the end.

xabaras

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2019, 07:35:29 AM »
Finished Enderal: Forgotten Stories , a Skyrim total conversion/mod that you can get as a standalone download on steam provided you have the vanilla Skyrim version (not SE) in your steam library. I went in totaly blind, just to try it out since it's free and got some praise in an era thread and after finishing it, i have to say it's one of the most impressive games i remember playing. It's a fully fledged, 100+ hour rpg with a huge open world full of hand crafted, high quality content with good writing and excellent character interactions, on top of that it's fully voice acted and honestly, i can hardly tell a difference between these amateur voice actors in a free mod and some professional ones in big budget titles. It just seems like such a huge game, but the credits consist of around 10 people aside from those that did the voice acting and translations, i have no idea how they pulled this off, they must have some next level team managment skills.
The only downside is the outdated Bethesda engine, so i experienced frequent crashes to desktop, but i guess that is to be expected since it really pushes the engine with nice graphics and lots of scripting, also i suspect playing a melee build might not be so fun since they can't do miracles with this old Skyrim combat engine, i played an archer and it was ok. On the other hand, the sense of progression is very well done, every level up until late game feels meaningful, it's a lot like a Gothic game where besides just getting experience to level up you also need to pay for skill learning, so you're basically always short on cash. Really love the game, would be perfectly happy with it as a full price purchase, yet it's totally free. (felt so good about it i had to donate to the developers anyway)

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2019, 12:44:36 AM »
Hollow Knight. Best game I've ever played.
每天生气