Author Topic: The all-time GOAT is back, baybee!!  (Read 6593 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: The all-time GOAT is back, baybee!!
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2019, 09:17:22 AM »
Grim Dawn is pretty good. Takes a lot of what worked with Titan Quest, but refines and expands the gameplay a lot. It's also a lot darker/gothic than TQ.
dog

Himu

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2019, 11:08:30 AM »
One problem I've always had with D2 is how instanced it is. If I wanna save and leave, I gotta go to town but when I come back to where I left off I gotta go through the same field again. Hell, in D2, you can go teleport to town for a short, temporary reprieve to sell some items, go back to where you are and lose all of your map progress. Then there's the fact loot you get isn't saved. You'll plow through hundreds of enemies but if you need to quit and return to the game later you have to do it all over again. It's tedious and badly designed. It's like playing a fucking MMO and I have no idea how that part of the game is fun.

Diablo 1? My map is saved, my loot is saved, my items are saved despite it being randomly generated. I can quit the game and have the same mana potions I left at the store ground still there to be used later. That floor I was clearing that I left off still remembers where I was when I left off and still knows my map progress. It feels like people mention Diablo 1 doesn't have loot highlight and stuff like that when Diablo 1 is objectively the better, tighter experience unless you're an addict that like enjoys repeating content over and over.

I just don't get it. Diablo 2 is a great game and everything but fuck is it annoying and repetitive. Even playing it in single player is like playing an MMO.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2019, 11:49:08 AM »
Amen.

D3 is basically all about speed runs and how efficient you can get which at its core is incompatible withe the dread and horror of 1 where you descend deeper into hell and its about survival

Himu

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2019, 11:57:19 AM »
But I want to farm, Lager.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2019, 07:52:16 PM »

This is why Diablo 2 is instanced. So you can't just kill everything on a level and go back. You have to pick up what you want, go to store etc. before leaving the game.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2019, 08:04:47 PM »
Cracking open a cold one with the boys and doing Mephisto runs. :rejoice
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2019, 08:22:18 PM »

This is why Diablo 2 is instanced. So you can't just kill everything on a level and go back. You have to pick up what you want, go to store etc. before leaving the game.

Why doesn't it take a page out of D1's book and keep enemies dead? Forever?
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2019, 09:02:09 PM »

Because that'd get boring fast? I mean you can already "rush" through the acts, farming would become mindless if enemies (the loot spawners) were dead because 1) the spawns would have to be calculated by the game (taking up CPU [for the time] processing time]) and 2) there would be no "game" there if farming was just item drops after you've cleared an act.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2019, 09:05:37 PM »

???

it was a post game focussed, mmo light experience where the online component, fun in level repetition and randomly generated tile sets were the key difference between it and other cRPGs at the time
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2019, 09:16:28 PM »

Because that'd get boring fast? I mean you can already "rush" through the acts, farming would become mindless if enemies (the loot spawners) were dead because 1) the spawns would have to be calculated by the game (taking up CPU [for the time] processing time]) and 2) there would be no "game" there if farming was just item drops after you've cleared an act.

But that just makes the game repetitive.

???

it was a post game focussed, mmo light experience where the online component, fun in level repetition and randomly generated tile sets were the key difference between it and other cRPGs at the time

Why is a post-game focused, mmo light experience good? It just leads to repetitive gameplay and a situation where the first two modes are filler till you get to the "real game". In my experience this places style over substance. Encounters should count for something. Diablo 2 and 3 feel like they're addictive for the sake of being addictive the same way an mmo would. I prefer tighter, designed experience of 1. Diablo 2 is fun, it's addictive. But I don't see how addictive means good.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2019, 12:12:18 AM »
ARPGs in general are meant to be repetitive, the same way Shenmue is meant to be boring. It's part of the charm of the genre.
yar

thisismyusername

« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2019, 12:46:50 AM »

...That's the whole gameplay loop of the lootwhore genre, hon.

Kill shit->Loot pops out->cool young dude your character->Kill more shit->Finish game->Start new game+/harder difficulties->Kill shit->Loot pops-out->Kill more shit->etc.

Until you either tire or have your twinked out character that is GDLK. ...Until the season ends/character wipe.

nudemacusers

« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2019, 07:19:11 AM »
Baal loot runs  :money

Mephisto loot runs :money

Andariel loot runs :money
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Himu

« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2019, 10:08:43 AM »

...That's the whole gameplay loop of the lootwhore genre, hon.

Kill shit->Loot pops out->cool young dude your character->Kill more shit->Finish game->Start new game+/harder difficulties->Kill shit->Loot pops-out->Kill more shit->etc.

Until you either tire or have your twinked out character that is GDLK. ...Until the season ends/character wipe.

I mean I’m not saying it’s not fun. I guess I prefer dungeon crawling in 1 to that kind of grind. I like closure. Your characters eventually becoming godlike and literally angels is the exact reason why 3 doesn’t have the mood of 1. Surely there’s a medium between D1 and D2. Something like D3 is excessive but having a tight experience of D1 and the gameplay loop of D2.

IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2019, 11:03:52 AM »
Its anachronistic to say this has always been the loop because it wasn't with D1

Its like D1 made this genre and it was about survival

Himu

« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2019, 11:05:39 AM »
Right. Now every arpg needs the same loop.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2019, 11:10:36 AM »
Kill things once, make progress  :larry

Kill things a lot of times, get items to make you kill them faster, efficiently  :aah
fat

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2019, 11:11:03 AM »
TBH D1 is a very different kind of game, and I feel like a lot of that is due to the limitations of the time when it was developed. Blizzard North wasn't a big deal and didn't get a lot of resources, it was made in a pretty short period of time IIRC, etc. It's mostly focused on being a survivalistic dungeon crawler and succeeds at it. To me the real loot based ARPG genre starts with D2. At heart they're very different games and I almost feel like comparing them is counter productive. They both succeed wildly at what they're trying to do, they're just trying to do two different things.
yar

Himu

« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2019, 11:16:39 AM »
I feel like there’s two kinds of diablo fans. Those who love the survival first, loot second aspect and those who love loot above anything else so they can achieve mass effeciency.

I’m not sure if it’s possible to please both groups. Apparently D3 now is just about effeciency and this riles up those who like survival. D1 is all about survival and this makes it unappealing to those who want loot.

It’s not that I don’t like loot - I love it! But it’s only one element that helps increase survival. Surviving makes loot all the sweeter. If you give constant candy it’s too sweet and it makes the search for it pointless. I’m not sure how you can appease these two types of fans because their wants appear to be counter productive when put against each other.

The only solution I can think of is making the main game about survival to the point where effeciency is a necessity.
IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2019, 11:18:56 AM »
TBH D1 is a very different kind of game, and I feel like a lot of that is due to the limitations of the time when it was developed. Blizzard North wasn't a big deal and didn't get a lot of resources, it was made in a pretty short period of time IIRC, etc. It's mostly focused on being a survivalistic dungeon crawler and succeeds at it. To me the real loot based ARPG genre starts with D2. At heart they're very different games and I almost feel like comparing them is counter productive. They both succeed wildly at what they're trying to do, they're just trying to do two different things.
And don't forget, it was meant to be turn-based until it turned out that David Brevik was the only one on the team who preferred it that way.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2019, 11:40:19 AM »

I mean thats like your interpretation and I think is wrong as Rufus said it was even supposed to be turn based and the emphasis was on roguelile not loot.

Not once have I heard "we wantes showers of loot but the hardware held us back".

And yeah i agree with they are totally different games

For me D1 is the real true diablo

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2019, 11:44:55 AM »
Just irks me to no end when people say the arpg genre ia about loot and repetition.

Imho dark souls is a good heir to diablo.

Himu

« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2019, 12:28:08 PM »
Although I think Diablo 1 is probably a better game for my tastes, I've never had as much fun with the genre as Sorc in D2.

:rejoice

Lightning girl :bow
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2019, 12:40:31 PM »
I'm more than halfway through Diablo 1. Should beat it by the weekend. Then I'm starting a sorc run. I'm not sure if I'll play it as much as I have done with D2 or 3, though. At least not without the expansion. I have to buy the expansion somehow. :larry Might pirate it.

In the end I think it's best for me to separate it between two different games and just enjoy D1 and D2 for what they are.

Fuck D3 though.

We should all play D2 together some time. Fuck pubs.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2019, 04:00:13 PM »
I feel like there’s two kinds of diablo fans. Those who love the survival first, loot second aspect and those who love loot above anything else so they can achieve mass effeciency.

I’m not sure if it’s possible to please both groups. Apparently D3 now is just about effeciency and this riles up those who like survival. D1 is all about survival and this makes it unappealing to those who want loot.

It’s not that I don’t like loot - I love it! But it’s only one element that helps increase survival. Surviving makes loot all the sweeter. If you give constant candy it’s too sweet and it makes the search for it pointless. I’m not sure how you can appease these two types of fans because their wants appear to be counter productive when put against each other.

The only solution I can think of is making the main game about survival to the point where effeciency is a necessity.

Well, considering that D1 is pretty singular and every ARPG since D2 has pretty much just tried to ape D2 I guess we know which group is getting catered to

:yeshrug
yar

Himu

« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2019, 04:01:12 PM »

Well, considering that D1 is pretty singular and every ARPG since D2 has pretty much just tried to ape D2 I guess we know which group is getting catered to

:yeshrug

I know they're being catered to. I'm saying I feel that both should be catered to.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2019, 04:05:33 PM »
Lager is right in that the souls games are a sort of spiritual successor to D1 in some ways. Of course they emphasize "absurd enemy mechanics that people mistake for dick punchingly hard difficulty" as opposed to testing skill in any real meaningful way. (DO NOT @ ME, BITCHES)
yar

Himu

« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2019, 04:10:37 PM »
I don't like Souls much. Too much repetition. Traveling 10 minutes to refight a boss instead of putting a damn save point before the boss room is not difficulty, souls nerds. It's tedium.
IYKYK

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2019, 04:16:36 PM »
i still vividly remember the arguments as to whether diablo is a better than nethack or rogue

thanks to cindi, i now realize how badly i want a game more akin to the first diablo than the countless hack and slash titles that have followed diablo 2's footprint. i just don't personally care much for loot and much prefer the randomness you encounter in a lot of the oldschool roguelikes that made dungeon crawling so exhilarating

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 04:20:52 PM by TEEEPO »

Himu

« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2019, 04:20:10 PM »
It's not the same as Diablo because what is, but if you can play Shiren the Wanderer. As a connoisseur of dungeon crawlers, I have many suggestions. :snob

IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2019, 05:53:34 PM »
The 'clones' that spring to mind:

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance
...and its Snowblind engine brother from another mother, Champions of Norrath. Good enough loot. Boring skills. Fun but shallow, which makes it feel much longer than it is. Noteworthy for doing console ARPGs right (and for having very sharp visuals, even on PS2). Made entirely obsolete by Diablo 3.

Darkstone
Apes the Diablo formula very closely, but has more outside environments. Bright and lighthearted. Early 3D, so the visuals aged poorly.

Nox
Zany and fast. Requires more dexterity than its cousins. Linear and static, so might not even belong here, but Westwood were gods and this game is good so fuck it. (Want to add Divine Divinity too, but remember even less about it. Similarly linear and static though. I think.)

Throne of Darkness
Samurai-era demonry. You control a squad of samurai rather than just one person, so some tactical wrangling required. Remember it having an odd upgrade and item system and I ultimately didn't get along with it.

Torchlight
Diablo set-up (hole in the ground, explore it), but has pets (to sell loot and buy potions for you) and fishing. I finished it, but it bored me to death. Remember nothing of quests and skill systems. Sequel was more of the same, but more varied environs.

Sacred
Doesn't have much going for it besides its custom combo system. ...Germany represent! (RIP Ascaron)

Soldak Entertainments's output (Depth's of Peril, Din's Curse, Zombasite)
Perhaps the most complex games on the list. Only ever played the demos (and bounced off). The loop matches Diablo closely, but they're more systemic, with less bespoke content, i.e. quests feel or are randomly generated, with dynamic objectives and time limits that actually matter and shit.

There are more recent games like Van Helsing, Victor Vran and Vikings - Wolves of Midgard, but they're in the Dark Alliance and Diablo 3 mold and are all going to be quickly forgotten.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 04:33:36 AM by Rufus »

Himu

« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2019, 06:17:48 PM »
What about Dungeon Siege?
IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2019, 06:47:22 PM »
Good call. Quite different from Diablo. Linear with static environments. Boring loot as I recall. It's draw is controlling an entire squad, which you will have on auto all of the time. I don't know. I think I had fun with it, but I didn't get very far into the sequel, which was more of the same, so...

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2019, 07:49:37 PM »
Sacred 1 was kinda meh, but I really liked Sacred 2.
dog

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2019, 07:54:20 PM »
Titan Quest is another good game in the Diablo style

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2019, 01:23:41 AM »
Torchlight is one of the worst Diablo clones.

Grim Dawn is cool, bit Lovecraftian vibe to it
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:34:17 AM by Premium Lager »

Himu

« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2019, 07:17:37 AM »
Once I’m done with Diablo 1 does anyone want to play D2 multi on bnet with me?
IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2019, 01:36:45 PM »
Titan Quest had much more interesting skills and items, but the world is static and very boring to go through multiple times. Grim Dawn has very similar systems and is probably the better choice these days. I have yet to play it, but I hear nothing but good things about it.

Oh, also, I agree with Borys that Nox doesn't really belong (or Divine Divinity), but it's definitely worth playing regardless.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 03:04:19 PM by Rufus »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2019, 02:12:18 PM »
Grim Dawn is very good and the world feels a lot like Diablo [dark and brooding, demonic invasion, humanity on the brink of destruction].
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2019, 04:18:11 PM »
Grim Dawn is great. New expansion coming out later this month, too, adds a new endgame mode
yar

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2019, 06:08:28 PM »
Just that cowboy wild west level is bullshit in grim dawn tjoughy, act 2 or whatever.

:-X

Fifstar

« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2019, 10:23:07 AM »
Beat the 7th and 8th level yesterday. I stubbornly insisted on doing it all completly with melee combat. Those fuckin' archers got the best of me. Finally got a decent bow after mopping up level 8  :lol
Gulp

thisismyusername

« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2019, 03:47:39 PM »
I haven't gotten around to Torchlight 2, but yeah: I agree with the assessment that 1 was very boring. The good thing about it is the pet being able to go back to the overworld to sell your stuff while you're dungeoning. But that's about it. Apparently someone modded D2's synergy system into the game which makes T2 better, but I wouldn't know yet.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2019, 05:08:11 PM »
I tried to play Torchlight 2 years after it came out and I just couldn't get into it at all. Nothing about it really stands out enough to make it interesting.
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2019, 05:19:23 PM »
Torchlight 2 was interesting up until I figure out that it didn't matter what you did, all skills would eventually basically equally faceroll everything
yar

thisismyusername

« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2019, 12:24:48 AM »
Speaking of Diablo-clones: Sacred 2 is pretty boring. I tried to like it, but... it's not that great. The PC port is a bit junk (since they focused on consoles? IIRC?) and it's... not that great gameplay wise, IMO.

I remember Teknopathetic making an official thread for it on NeoGAF and it sounded/looked interesting enough, but the world just isn't engaging enough for me to want to really continue playing it.

At least I got it for a $1.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2019, 09:28:14 PM »
The only Diablo-like that I ever really enjoyed was Titan Quest. I played that a ton back in the day. Nothing else ever hit the right spot, but I probably should try Grim Dawn, tho.
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2019, 10:48:43 PM »
I enjoyed Titan Quest, Path of Exile, and Grim Dawn. I don't like how PoE keeps changing so fucking much every 3 months but I understand that's their business model, and enough people enjoy it to the point where they're profitable because of it.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2019, 12:26:04 PM »
I enjoyed Titan Quest, Path of Exile, and Grim Dawn. I don't like how PoE keeps changing so fucking much every 3 months but I understand that's their business model, and enough people enjoy it to the point where they're profitable because of it.

PoE had a massive restructurization once that introduced 10 Acts. That was like 1.5 year ago. Since that they only added shit for MP/ PVP like new Rifts, Infinite Dungeons etc.

I strongly recommend ANYONE liking Diablo 1/2/3 to play PoE SP. It is incredibly good and rewarding. 10 Acts of pure Diablo goodness.

Yeah I know, I've played 2 leagues since then. I just don't like how every 3 months a new layer of whatever gets added to the game, makes it too dense to keep up with. There's gotta be a happy medium between D3's "here's a ladder reset every 3 months but no new actual content except maybe 2-3 balance changes, lulz" and PoE's "yo dog we heard you liked content so here's some content to go with your content, also plz buy cosmetic microtransactions and stash tabz" approaches.
yar

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2019, 06:06:02 PM »
DevGameClub interviewed David Brevik recently. Haven't listened to it yet, but could be interesting.
http://www.devgameclub.com/blog/2019/3/27/dgc-ep-156-david-brevik-interview

thisismyusername

« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2019, 01:08:56 PM »
HELLFIRE IS NOW INCLUDED!</caps>

No, really. Go check GOG if you don't believe me.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2019, 01:11:21 PM »
wow thats shocking as hell lol, good shit

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2019, 01:16:46 PM »
Hmmm I still havea boxed version of Hellfire

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2019, 10:21:41 PM »

I don't believe you, and also I won't check. Checkmate, liberal.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2019, 10:37:44 PM »
Dled. Also have an official cd copy of the original game now so I’ll burn this copy of hellfire :rejoice
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2019, 06:08:19 AM »

I don't believe you, and also I won't check. Checkmate, liberal.

Shit, I've been owned. :fbm