Author Topic: Most disappointing release?  (Read 7389 times)

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Most disappointing release?
« on: March 13, 2019, 05:21:10 PM »
What's the one that comes to mind when I ask the question? The one you had incredible hype for but were ultimately let down?

Mine was Jade Empire. I was a huge Bioware fanboy and wanted that game to be great but it wasn't.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
Re: Most disappointing release?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 05:31:02 PM »
RDR2
___

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 05:37:41 PM »
The Lego Movie Videogame

Came out right after the Marvel and DC games that had sooooooo much content and was so bare bones
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 05:48:16 PM by CatsCatsCats »

ToxicAdam

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 05:39:47 PM »
RDR2

You being serious? Most people seemed to love that game (or at least the first half of it).

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 05:44:33 PM »
RDR2

You being serious? Most people seemed to love that game (or at least the first half of it).

I found it basically unplayable.

"Let's meticulously model a 10 second animation to open a drawer but when you try to talk to someone there's a 50/50 chance you'll just shoot them in the face"
___

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 05:46:56 PM »
Shenmue 3
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 05:48:34 PM »
Spore
Fable

Massive hype, loads of incredible promises, in development for what seemed like an eternity, decent-at-best when finally launched.
dog

Svejk

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 05:52:03 PM »
Recently, Destiny 2.  Never felt such a waste of $60 before.

First time I recall being shockingly disappointed with a videogame, was Zillion 2 (SMS).  My 9 year old self almost wanted to cry from not understanding what went horribly wrong.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 05:53:19 PM »
Spore is a good one. I never even got around to playing it because all the youtube vids made it look so bad.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 06:00:46 PM »
Spore is a good one. I never even got around to playing it because all the youtube vids made it look so bad.

Animal creation was kinda cool, but all the phases up until the space phase were incredibly repetitive and dull. Even the space phase was only good for a while. Never felt compelled to play it again after I got that far once.
dog

Himu

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 06:13:36 PM »
Three games stick out in my mind:

GTAIV - first new gta of a generation with new tech. As a massive gta fan, as many here know, I was beyond hyped for this game. It fell flat on all fronts for me, batrayed the spirit of arcade gameplay tied to the series, cut outright features and content and replaced them with nothing because “niko would never take on an ambulance side job lol”. The story was stupid, the world and satire of past entries had gone from whimsical and funny to outright tacky. I almost struggle to put it on this list because I’ve played it for over a hundred hours, it garnered two extremely well made expansions that fix a lot of what was wrong in the orignal, and the online was a blast. Very flawed game that has been ultimately forgotten to time because of its much superior sequel (as well as predecessor with SA).

- Final Fantasy XIII. Whoo boy. I could make a dissertation about this fucking game and how much it disappointed me, is a stain on the final fantasy legacy and the Japanese rpg genre as whole. There is nothing positive about FFXIII besides graphics and combat, and even the combat is lacking because of game mechanics outside of it such as being healed after every fight or the fact there’s no game overs and battle can just be conveniently restarted. The game eschews genre fundamentals. Things like item and resource management that the series was building up in previous entries such as XII, the characters and story have zero redeeming value, for the first time since becoming a fan the music was a letdown, the game is one endless dungeon but has absolutely fuck zero in the way actual dungeon design, you literally hold up for 40 hours. This was the first (and last) Final Fantasy game I sold. It is the FF that broke me as a fan. I didn’t buy a single Final Fantasy (besides X HD if that counts) until XV came out nearly a decade later. XIII-2, XIII-3, Type 0, haven’t played them. I’ve even barely played XIV and haven’t beaten XV. XIII ended a lifelong relationship with one of my favorite gaming franchises and the series hasn’t been the same ever since.

Suikoden IV - lets take a innovative and forward thinking game with rough edges and then give it a backwards half assed sequel where the main character runs like he’s wearing a shitty diaper. Let’s also make the story absolute crap in a story-based franchise and characters that have zero development. Game is doo doo in a series made of gold.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 06:19:08 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 06:17:20 PM »
Ah yeah, definitely GTAIV, too.
dog

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 06:33:28 PM »
Skyward Sword.

3 hours of tedious tutorial bullshit to start the game and padding later on. Awful swim controls (and other waggle nonsense). The Imprisoned boss fights.

It had some redeeming qualities and I think it is ok overall but still a disappointment at the time.   

Himu

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 06:48:05 PM »
The last mission of GTAIV was atrocious.
IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 06:51:00 PM »
Diablo 3

Like a dumbass, I tried my damndest to like it, too. Hundreds of hours of denial. :goty2

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 06:57:29 PM »
GTA 4 for sure, Fable 3 is another, Sim City 2013 is up there, Final Fantasy 13 I want to count but I was pretty meh on it before it made it to the US

Himu

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 06:58:23 PM »
Sim City 2013 ugh
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 07:04:17 PM »
Some good picks here.

GTAIV - I really liked all the prior GTA games. Been playing since the first top-down one. Got bored of this by the time I hit the 2nd island and never came back. Just nothing to do and totally dull. GTAV was amazing and fun though.

FFXIII - Fuck this was bad. The music is great and the characters and group dynamic isn't bad, even the battle system is ok, but the gameplay is so dull it's a chore to play. Long copy/paste dungeons -> cutscenes -> long dungeons -> cutscenes. Oh and the actual plot was probably the most nonsensical and bad of all the FFs to that point.

Skyward Sword - So long and full of filler and dull. Game was so boring I quit at like the last 1/3rd and skimmed a youtube playthrough of the rest because I just couldn't be assed to do the rest of the backtracking. It looked pretty and that's about the only thing positive I'll say about it. I mean it's still better than the godawful Spirit Tracks, but I didn't have expectations for Spirit Tracks like I did for Skyward Sword. Thankfully, like GTAV, Breath of the Wild was amazing and fun and made up for it.

Cold Steel 1-4 - Long boring as well.

I hate boring games. I'd rather play a bad game anyday than a boring one.

Himu

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2019, 07:05:55 PM »
Bad > Mediocre games. With a bad game you know what you're getting. With a mediocre game you keep playing to see when/if it gets better and it never does.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2019, 07:22:34 PM »
Xenoblade 2-A terrible and ugly game that embraced everything I hate about modern Japan nerd entertainment. Shitty characters and an obnoxious battle system. Combined with terrible gotcha mechanics.

Metal Gear Solid 4-Wow what a terrible conclusion to a once great series. Hate everything about this game.

Metal Gear Solid 5-Not as disappointing as I already thought the series went to crap after 4 and was cemented in the fact with PW. But I thought maybe there was a chance. But nope, it's a Metal Gear game that took out all of MG's personality and left nothing. Except good gameplay...surrounded by crap.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:28:10 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 07:25:42 PM »
Jesus, MGS4 might be the most disappointing game ever for me that I routinely kill it from my mind. Fuck that game. Fuck its gameplay, fuck its around the world trek bullshit. Fuck it for making a no kill run damn near impossible thanks to act 3. Fuck it its story. Fuck its stupid load times and songs while cooking eggs. Fuck everything about that game.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 07:26:33 PM »
Xeno 2 is a big one I missed. Really a letdown

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 07:26:49 PM »
also mgs4 and rdr2 rule suck it nerds. both are the best games in their respective series :hmph

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 07:32:43 PM »
BioShock Infinite, for sure.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 07:35:50 PM »
I had the sense to not play MGS4, but goddamn was MGS2 a fucking shit sandwich of a disappointment after the first one.
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2019, 07:47:05 PM »
Aliens: Colonial Marines is another big one. One of the few games that made me genuinely angry that I bought it. What a heap of trash. I still hate Gearbox for that whole mess.
dog

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 07:48:01 PM »
People sure seemed pissed about Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Personally?

New Gundam Breaker
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2019, 07:51:40 PM »
Yeah, I'll agree on MGS4. Weak ass conclusion to a cool series. MGS5 is good, but unfinished and it shows, so it's not great.

Xenoblade 2 I don't like and kinda hate played the last 20% but I'll defend it. Outside of the stupid stupid stupid field skills and gatcha merc missions and gatcha pulls and grinding blades to get them field skills or quest skills to do their unique sidequests/progress in optional field stuff; outside of all the dumbass game decisions it's a pretty solid adventure rpg even if I wasn't a fan of the plot or characters or battle system that much. Like I'd say Xenoblade X was more disappointing because the potential was there for a really awesome followup to Xenoblade and then you got like an open world with not much real stuff to do and barely any plot or characters. I think I went into XB2 with a lot lower expectations after that... I definitely enjoyed and had more fun playing XBX than I did XB2.

Personally?

New Gundam Breaker

Yeah, that was sad. I skipped it because everyone says it sucks, but I'd really like to place a good modern nice graphics Gundam Breaker.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2019, 07:54:00 PM »

I was probably less disappointed with Andromeda than 3, actually. 3 was the better game, but the ending left such a bitter taste in my mouth and my expectations were way lower after that.
dog

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2019, 07:55:28 PM »

Personally?

New Gundam Breaker

Yeah, that was sad. I skipped it because everyone says it sucks, but I'd really like to place a good modern nice graphics Gundam Breaker.

I'll just repost my thoughts from ERA concerning the subject...

Terrible constantly changing mission objectives every minute or so.
Arena battles all the damn time. What happened to traversing a map?
Horribly small text that is painful to read from any distance. Especially when making new Gunpla.
Gameplay still feels terrible compared to GB3.

What the hell was the development team thinking?? If it ain't broke don't fix it. It's like they created a separate multiplayer mode but then just decided "fuck it" at the last minute and shoehorned it into the single player campaign.

If this were a Western game we'd have heard stories by now, has anyone more proficient in Japanese than me seen any discussion of this on the internet? I'm curious.

At least there's Gundam Breaker 3 and all the extra DLC campaign content.

I was probably less disappointed with Andromeda than 3, actually. 3 was the better game, but the ending left such a bitter taste in my mouth and my expectations were way lower after that.

I thought Andromeda was just fine. I never understood the hate.
野球

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2019, 08:04:54 PM »
Oblivion was my biggest disappointment, was being hyped in my mid teens and the hype had me hook line and sinker. It looked great and I enjoyed it for a while but the levelling and loot systems were abstruse and banal, once you'd seen 3 dungeons you'd seen them all, and the Oblivion gate quests suffered from the same problem. Combat was much better, and the graphics were mindblowing for an open world game at the time, but really lacked the diversity and magic of Morrowind. This is also when i stopped caring about graphics past a point, and realised it's a small part of what makes RPGs immersive.
◕‿◕

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2019, 08:22:34 PM »
Also, yeah, FFXIII was a shitshow. I really appreciated the combat trying to innovate in a space with such a precious fanbase, it could've gone so much further and ramped up a lot quicker though. I really liked the artistic direction as well but also frustrates me how much resource was put into it. Too much time spent on purty graphix. Intro to FFXIII-2 was atrocious, I'm sure i would've enjoyed the game down the line but i couldn't stomach another slow build up. Also fuck Serah and fuck Noel.
◕‿◕

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2019, 09:16:44 PM »
I had the sense to not play MGS4, but goddamn was MGS2 a fucking shit sandwich of a disappointment after the first one.

MGS2 was a disappoint to me, too- never played through.  Enjoyed the first part with Snake, then when it switched to Raiden and all the Big Shell stuff...I just lost interest and thought the story was dumb.

MGS3 was much, much better to me and then MGS4...I barely played.  I remember starting it, feeling kind of 'eh' on it, and then the ending got uploaded and since I don't care about spoilers, I watched it and my jaw hit the floor when it turned out to be like 90 minutes of nonsense. 

MGSV was another disappointment to me, too- the game play is good but it being unfinished just sucks.  FucKonami and all that.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2019, 09:32:45 PM »
MGS2 is worth playing. Story and characters suck but the gameplay.

That sweet gameplay. :lawd

Dog tags. :lawd

European Extreme. :lawd

No kills. :snob

No alerts. :snob

MGS2 is the game that got me into speed running. My fastest back in the day was 2 hours. I mastered the fuck out of that game. If you're the type of MGS fan that just plays for the story and does one run, I'd rank MGS2 pretty low. But if you're the type that's all about runs, no kill, no alerts, and challenges, it's probably the best and most lean.

Play MGS2 Substance, Bork. It has amazing VR missions as well. In terms of gameplay it's the best MGS imo.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2019, 09:33:15 PM »
Oh yeah, since we're getting into disappointing finales, definitely have to mention one of the big shitshows which is Assassin's Creed 3. Bland af maps, horrible underground labyrinths for shortcuts, crap controls, terrible ending to Desmond's story. About the only thing decent in that game is the Haythem and Conner story which is fine and Conner got too much flak but was a fine lead. But the gameplay in AC3 totally fucking sucks + real world story sucks and what a let down.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2019, 09:34:34 PM »
Devil May Cry 2- They took what was a really cool game, with a likeable protagonist, and made it a dull mess.  Just crap.

Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow- I want CASTLEVANIA, not God Of War.  For that matter, most 3D CV games have been disappointments, if not all of them.

Omen Of Sorrow- Hey, wow!  A new 2.5D fighting game that could almost be a budget indie Darkstalkers, from a new Chilean developer!  Hey, wow!  IT'S TOTAL CRAP.  First game I ever returned to Amazon for just plain being shit.

Samurai Shodown III (PS1)- Awful port and possibly the first 2D fighting game released during the 32-bit era that showed how poorly the Playstation could do with 2D fighters and how much better the Saturn was at this, especially since this game used the 1MB RAM cart on there.

Marvel Super Heroes (PS1/Saturn)- Was a framey mess on all but one stage and a huge disappointment, since up to that point I always thought Capcom could do no wrong with their home conversions.

SNK Heroines (Switch)- Shit port job by Abstraction games.  Runs at half the framerate it's supposed to.  Nothing was ever done to even try to address this.  Occasionally will come across people singing its praises and can't figure out why they would want to play it on Switch over the much better PS4 and PC (also ported by Abstraction, but good) versions.

Assassin's Creed III: Playing as Hatham Kenway (sp) stuff in the beginning:  Oh shit, plot twist!  Kinda cool!  Playing as whoever it is after this: :zzz

Silpheed: The Lost Planet- As a kid in the '80s, I absolutely loved playing Silpheed on the Apple IIgs.  So when this was announced for the PS2, I was super-hyped and shelled out the big bucks to import it day one with a crazy Saturday delivery shipping fee from NCSX.  Booted it up and was instantly disappointed by what a dull, mediocre shooter this was.  I went onto Usenet to rant about Silpheed, then didn't check anything for a few days because of college stuff.  Went back to check on responses and found that Victor Ireland was calling me a troll and full of hot air because I didn't respond to his post asking me more about it, followed by a number of "boot-licking toady" ass-kissing posts siding with him and saying that I was just attacking WD (the fucking game was published by CAPCOM in Japan  :lol).  A few came to my defense but I was so disappointed by how Ireland had acted that I didn't buy any more Working Designs releases after that.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2019, 09:42:03 PM »
Halo 4 is another one.   Note that I only played the Halo games for the multiplayer and had been a bit disappointed with Reach, but still spent a lot of time on it.  Found 4 nowhere near as good, but would play it when friends asked to.  Then one day I just didn't care and told my friend I was going to keep playing Black Ops II and would be getting rid of Halo 4 shortly.  Also disliked the Infinite Ward-developed CoD games with Modern Warfare 3 and no longer buy any CoDs they develop.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2019, 09:50:16 PM »
I found DMC4 really disappointing upon release. I replayed the series 1 and 3 a lot. I never replayed 4, though.

While I never played the full game, Ninja Gaiden 3's demo broke my heart.

I waited almost 10 years for Persona 5 and thought it was a massive disappointment. I've never beaten it. It bored me to death.
IYKYK

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2019, 09:51:42 PM »
Nioh.

TOO. MUCH. LOOT.

And it became boringly repetitive reaaaal fast.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2019, 10:22:59 PM »
I found DMC4 really disappointing upon release. I replayed the series 1 and 3 a lot. I never replayed 4, though.

While I never played the full game, Ninja Gaiden 3's demo broke my heart.

I waited almost 10 years for Persona 5 and thought it was a massive disappointment. I've never beaten it. It bored me to death.

Have tried to play MGS2 several times and just can't get into it.  I don't think I'm really all that much of a Metal Gear fan beyond MGS1 and Snake Eater.

Still need to play DMC3.  Keep meaning to and never get around to it.  DMC4 is just one of those games that I got at release, booted up, and played for like 20 minutes before shelving and never playing it again.  Need to play the SE version of that.  The thing is...I dunno if I want to since DMC5 appears to just shit all over them.

Another disappointment comes to mind from this- Lost Planet and Lost Planet 2 on PS3.  Shit ports with bad framerates.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2019, 10:25:01 PM »
Dissidia NT: Crappy game play that's too hard to follow with the forced three man teams and bad camera.   :yuck
ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2019, 12:38:07 AM »
MGS2 is so godawful. The story quite literally headbutts its way in and shits and jizzes all over what is otherwise incredible gameplay. During the last, absurd 30 or whatever minutes of incomprehensible, frustrated film student cut scene I got up, made a sandwich, came back and it was still rambling about god knows what. Kojima is a hack, and no one will ever convince me otherwise. Fuck him and fuck anyone that makes excuses for him.
yar

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2019, 12:44:43 AM »

Eh, MGS2's problem is Raiden (though only due to Rose) and the bait-and-switch in marketing. If they were upfront that you weren't playing Snake WAY earlier before launch, it would've been fine.

MGS4 however...

MGS1 and 3 are total flukes, though.

Dissidia NT: Crappy game play that's too hard to follow with the forced three man teams and bad camera.   :yuck

I'm actually playing the "Free" version of that on Steam right now, and yeah... the three man teams do absolutely jack-shit for the (IMO) already horrible Dissidia gameplay. The mobile app that is tied to it (Opera Omnia) is WAYYYYYYYYY better than this due to basically removing the "fighting game" elements that aren't fighting games and just making brave/HP attacks into a JRPG menu system.

GTA4 is probably the most disappointing release for me, though. Because the cars drive like boats, Roman is fucking annoying, and the multiplayer was eh.

Bebpo

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2019, 12:47:00 AM »
 :lol

For the last 30 mins you either are down with the insanity of Scissors 61 or you’re not. There’s no inbetween. And yeah gameplay in 2 is really good but the level design is weaker than 1/3 with a ton of backtracking that drags sections. Also the boss fights are kinda mixed.

I like mgs2 but I can agree it’s disapponting coming from 1. 3 & 1 are the really great games in the series.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2019, 01:55:40 AM »
I mean I'm a weeb gamer raised on the PS2. I love MGS2 and FFXIII.

Though I won't disagree with people's gripes with them.

Himu

« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2019, 05:50:45 AM »
In a lot of ways story-wise the series never really matched MG2 (not MGS2 but MG2 Msx) or MGS1. Even 3’s not on par but it’s close.
IYKYK

Borealis

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2019, 06:32:36 AM »
Dawn of War III.

What an incredible trailer, and what an incredible let down.

:shaq2

Relic's been treading on thin ice for a while now, so there's no room to even slightly mess up Age of Empires 4 for me.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2019, 06:42:08 AM »
Xbox one

Himu

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2019, 06:50:58 AM »
PS4

- wack online despite the fact we are paying now, it’s actually worse than ps3 to the point where I do not play fighting games (my main genre) on PS4
- most games run and look like shit unless you have a pro
- being forced to upgrade mid generation for more power
- dual shock 4 is ass and one of the worst controllers I’ve ever used
- can no longer just put a game in the system and play. While PS3 started that crap not all games needed to be installed and in fact most games didn’t. Now any time I buy a game I have to install it. Plug and play is dead.
- system is, again, TERRIBLE for actually playing fighting games yet is the number one fighting game system
- current menu system is a complete downgrade from xmb
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2019, 07:01:12 AM »
Twilight Princess
Destiny
Uncharted 4
Dragon Age 2
Hellgate London
FF13
Diablo 3
GTA4
Civilization Revolution 2
Fable
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 07:07:18 AM by Premium Lager »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2019, 07:24:38 AM »
PS4

- wack online despite the fact we are paying now, it’s actually worse than ps3 to the point where I do not play fighting games (my main genre) on PS4
- system is, again, TERRIBLE for actually playing fighting games yet is the number one fighting game system

Don't agree with this- the online is better than PS3 was for sure.  It's perfectly fine for fighting games, but if you're playing more and more locals, you might start hating online play in general.  Last gen, some people would purposefully use a different character as their "online main" (and not offline) to get around this- maybe try that?
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2019, 09:55:40 AM »
How is FF13 a good game, borys?
IYKYK

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2019, 09:59:28 AM »
Xenosaga 2.  I literally bought a ps2 because of the JP trailer being so damn hype.  Then we got......that.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2019, 10:02:05 AM »
Oblivion by far.
Came from loving Morrowind to bits, and actually believed that "Radiant AI" bullshit they said before release (would read the dev. blog every week).

Decided never to hype a game to those stupid levels again, after that (which in hindsight, was a healthy move), also to never trust Bethesda with their bullshit, which was also smart.

Project Ego --> Fable was also a good one, but for that we got to the sad reality well before release, IIRC, so wasn't expecting much by then.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2019, 10:04:05 AM »
PS4

Don't agree with this- the online is better than PS3 was for sure.  It's perfectly fine for fighting games, but if you're playing more and more locals, you might start hating online play in general.  Last gen, some people would purposefully use a different character as their "online main" (and not offline) to get around this- maybe try that?

its a very small use case but the ps4 sucks for local fighting game events too. a user can't delete their own controller from the system so the next people on the system need to go to the settings menu and disconnect the controller before theirs in order to make sure their match doesn't get interrupted. not the biggest deal in the world but it's annoying for sure.

also the weird thing where sometimes you have to start a game as a certain user to have it show all the dlc and sometimes you don't with no real logic to why

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2019, 10:06:55 AM »
I've come around for FF13 and DA2. They are pretty good games all being said and done, FF13 especially.

For the biggest disappointment for me... Ni No Kuni 2.

never played it

:doge

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2019, 05:25:56 PM »
I'm often pretty skeptical about games so I probably confuse disappointment for "figures" which is what I felt about, like, Oblivion.

I'll join Lager on Twilight Princess because I had the Wii, me and roommates and friends had played some hott Wii Sports for a while. I was waiting on Metroid Prime 3, and some other stuff, using it more to play GameCube titles really. (Like Wind Waker for the first time.) But saw TP on sale and bought it since I figured I would eventually anyway though I wasn't as eager for it being a man who's always preferred 2D Zelda's. And Wind Waker had been better than I expected.

Then it took like three hours before the Zelda part of Twilight Princess started. At least that was all good.

Assassins Creed, the first one, was similar when I got to the part where I had to ride around the whole damn world for hours on end. And the main game in general just seemed unfinished. Grand Theft Auto IV similarly bogged everything down with all kinds of non-gameplay too.

Left 4 Dead disappointed me quite a bit at launch, though Valve started to fix it up, eventually Left 4 Dead 2 basically was what I wanted originally. Speaking of Valve, I found Portal to incredibly disappointing as everyone else was praising it to the high heavens and I blew through the puzzles part of game in under half an hour.

Anything I ever rented for the 16-bit consoles or Game Boy has a good chance of making this list if I sit down and explore it.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2019, 06:03:37 PM »
Real answer: that Warhammer MMO

I remember reading dev blogs while i was backpacking in china and shit  :'(

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2019, 09:55:51 PM »
Super Smash Bros Brawl - the hype was fucking insane for that one... after spending so much time in college playing Melee, I was so ready for a game with even more content. The Smash Dojo nightly updates during "Japan Time", the huge GAF thread with that one guy Jiggy who chronicled everything to autistic perfection, flying to my first (and only) E3 and then watching the Snake reveal straight from a screen at the Nintendo booth... too bad the game finally came out and it was sluggish and floaty, some characters *cough*MetaKnight*cough* just would not die, the much-hyped Subspace Emissary was a bit clunky since the level designs weren't really adapted to the character you played as, the laggy online, and of course tripping. Not to mention I was a few years removed from college at that point so didn't really get to experience the multiplayer as much.

Star Ocean 3 - after adoring the first and worshiping the second game, I was really hyped for their next entry... the game's announcement in 2001 was what finally got me to jump on the PS2 ship later that year. But the game itself also suffered from clunkiness in battle, a strange "MP Death" system, a drastic reimagining for-the-worse of the innovative Skills and Crafting systems of the first 2 games (which were extremely unique for console RPGs at that point and only seldomly explored in western RPGs), overly long dungeons with few save points, a near-elimination of the Private Action system where you can interact with your party members one on one and it'll effect the game's ending... and, to top it off, one of the goofiest plot twists in gaming history. You know the one.
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2019, 10:40:57 PM »
Super Smash Bros Brawl - the hype was fucking insane for that one... after spending so much time in college playing Melee, I was so ready for a game with even more content. The Smash Dojo nightly updates during "Japan Time", the huge GAF thread with that one guy Jiggy who chronicled everything to autistic perfection, flying to my first (and only) E3 and then watching the Snake reveal straight from a screen at the Nintendo booth... too bad the game finally came out and it was sluggish and floaty, some characters *cough*MetaKnight*cough* just would not die, the much-hyped Subspace Emissary was a bit clunky since the level designs weren't really adapted to the character you played as, the laggy online, and of course tripping. Not to mention I was a few years removed from college at that point so didn't really get to experience the multiplayer as much.

I was also incredibly disappointed by how bad the game played online.  That's what really killed it for me.
ど助平