Author Topic: Most disappointing release?  (Read 7388 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Most disappointing release?
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2019, 10:43:46 PM »
Robbit Mon Dieu - I loved me some Jumping Flash! and Jumping Flash! 2.  The same developer also made The Ghost In The Shell PS1 game, which was equally awesome.  So when I found out that a third Jumping Flash! game had been released in Japan, I was pretty excited, found a copy online, and imported it.

...It sucked.  The game was nowhere near as good as Exact's previous titles, and I was wondering what the hell happened until noticing that Exact wasn't the developer.  Sugar & Rockets was, they did a shitty job, and the game was sold off almost immediately.  No wonder it didn't get localized.  :doge

Dance Summit 2001 - This is pretty similar to what happened with Robbit Mon Dieu, only the game was developed by the same team this time.  Bust-A-Move/Groove 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games from the 32-bit era.  Loved the hell out of both titles, played them like crazy, bought and blasted the soundtracks, etc.  When this was announced, I went apeshit- a new BAM for the PS2!?  Holy shit, am pumped!  Was instantly disappointed by how bad this was and sold it right back to the store.  IIRC, this never got localized, but the game or engine was used to make Brittany's Dance Beat later on.  :lol
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 10:48:40 PM by bork »
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2019, 01:51:19 AM »
Most games run poorly on base PS4?

I mean  according to Digital Foundry not really.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2019, 07:37:44 AM »
I'm not sure if I've ever been insanely hyped for something that failed to deliver, but goddamn I've played some piles of shit which were lauded by gaming journos.

I think nothing stands out to me more than BioShock Infinite.

Where do you start with this game. Sure the world design is cool but the positives end there - absolutely abysmal videogame design. Theres a pile of guns, upgrades and abilities to use - none of them matter whatsoever. The only reason I changed guns was because of ammo supply. I used the cheat to unlock "extra hard 1999 mode" or something off the bat because I didn't want to deal with the normie babby hand holding dick sucking base difficulty. If they gave you nothing but pistol ammo you could beat the game with the starting pistol. No consideration to encounter design whatsoever, I think I played it straight off of Dark Souls 1 too, so the game design felt even more insulting.

paprikastaude

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2019, 11:37:39 AM »
Zero Escape 3 Zero Time Dilemma - would've been like a 7/10 on its own maybe. But it followed up on the GOAT Virtue's Last Reward, which took story telling in games to another level and just had great mysteries in general. Really took the concepts of 999 and made something much greater out of it. Then this game felt like the writer's barely half remembered what even happened in VLR and just rehashed it poorly.

But what makes it the worst is that it got cancelled and there was this huge journey of getting it revived because of fan requests. Years of uncertainty and emotions to see this game get made and then it was a pretty shit sequel :fbm
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:43:08 AM by Spieler1 »

Svejk

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2019, 12:44:18 PM »
Completely forgot about Dark Savior, Time Stalkers and Dual Hearts....

:tocry  "um.... this is NOT Landstalker or Alundra.....Climax?  Ya'll there?  What's going on??  What are these games???"   :rkelly

Freyj

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2019, 01:27:21 PM »
I think FF15 is more of a disappointment to me than 13 at this point.

Himu

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2019, 01:36:44 PM »

I'm so broken that I no longer care.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2019, 02:01:40 PM »

:tocry  "um.... this is NOT Landstalker or Alundra.....Climax?  Ya'll there?  What's going on??  What are these games???"   :rkelly

Landstalker was amazing- everything else Climax did kinda or totally sucked.  I think it was more like a one-hit wonder although they did make some other good non action RPG games.  Note that I'm leaving Alundra out because of Working Designs idiocy on the localized version.   :doge

Never did play Ladystalker but remember trying a ROM and kind of not caring.  Maybe I should take another look at it.
ど助平

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2019, 02:13:31 PM »
FF15 and MGSV are probably the only two games since Oblivion i'd consider massive disappointments, though they don't come close, just because i'm less of a moron about believing marketing drivel.
I mean with FFXV especially, the writing was on the wall, but i still hoped they'd pull it off in the end.

BisMarckie

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2019, 02:17:37 PM »
Personally, SOTN is up there. I was so hyped for a Castlevania game that looked this good, and when I played it, I just hated it. I get it, people love that game, but I just wanted a prettier Castlevania. :tocry

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2019, 02:44:44 PM »
tribes2 was rather disappointing at launch though the game was somewhat salvaged by modders that made the rulesets more forgiving. the base game's design was too dependent on every single player on the team filling and knowing how to play their respective roles. it simply asked way too much of its players assuming everyone would be interested in putting down their sniper rifles to join a coordinated clan. the game was also a technical mess.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2019, 02:50:22 PM »
Personally, SOTN is up there. I was so hyped for a Castlevania game that looked this good, and when I played it, I just hated it. I get it, people love that game, but I just wanted a prettier Castlevania. :tocry

:jeanluc
yar

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2019, 02:51:29 PM »
Halo 4 was disappointing enough for me that I didn’t play 5
dur

BisMarckie

« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2019, 02:52:05 PM »
I'm just one of these weirdos who prefer the Classicvanias over the Metroidvanias. :goty

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2019, 03:07:41 PM »
SotN is the best game ever made tho

Svejk

« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2019, 03:35:50 PM »
Never did play Ladystalker but remember trying a ROM and kind of not caring.  Maybe I should take another look at it.
Same here..wasn't impressed much.. it's no Landstalker....  then again, nothing is.  I would so have a PSP solely for that cancelled remake!!  :lawd

Rahxephon91

« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2019, 04:30:02 PM »
I wasn't disappointed with XV. To be honest I have no idea why though as at every corner it was lacking. Filled me with a lot of "what could have been" ideas. I guess I enjoyed it enough, but it certainly did'nt feel like a complete FF experince. But it also didn't leave me thinking that this was a terrible base to build from. I guess I found it unique enough the jrpg space.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2019, 05:06:47 PM »

Umm actually, Dark Savior is a pretty dope game.

I think nothing stands out to me more than BioShock Infinite.

Where do you start with this game. Sure the world design is cool but the positives end there - absolutely abysmal videogame design. Theres a pile of guns, upgrades and abilities to use - none of them matter whatsoever. The only reason I changed guns was because of ammo supply. I used the cheat to unlock "extra hard 1999 mode" or something off the bat because I didn't want to deal with the normie babby hand holding dick sucking base difficulty. If they gave you nothing but pistol ammo you could beat the game with the starting pistol. No consideration to encounter design whatsoever, I think I played it straight off of Dark Souls 1 too, so the game design felt even more insulting.

I liked it when I first played it, but I basically remember nothing about the game other than wandering around Columbia for the first time and the totally bonkers ending. Everything else is just a vague recollection of meh combat encounters. Prey 2017 was a better followup to Bioshock than Infinite was.
dog

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2019, 05:21:09 PM »
I thought about it and the most disappointing release was Keiko

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2019, 07:00:34 PM »
this is so fucking easy to answer

octopath traveler
fat

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2019, 07:31:33 PM »
Republic: The Revolution for me. I still liked it, but man, I thought it was going to be amazing.

Himu

« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2019, 07:38:43 PM »
I'm just one of these weirdos who prefer the Classicvanias over the Metroidvanias. :goty

I do too. But sotn is still gdlk
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2019, 07:47:04 PM »
Republic: The Revolution for me. I still liked it, but man, I thought it was going to be amazing.
Was this the game where they made a huge deal about the engine?

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2019, 08:12:42 PM »
Yeah I think they did. In the end, the game turned out to be almost exclusively played through a 2d board game like screen.

Was Demis Hassabis first game with his own studio, after leaving lionhead. He later went on to found deepmind, which is some cool shit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeepMind

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2019, 10:15:05 PM »
I thought about it and the most disappointing release was Keiko
;)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2019, 08:57:44 AM »
+1 complaint against GTA IV.

I was so surprised at the tonal differences between PS2-era GTA and this weird, "let's tell an immigrant's story!" which wanted so much to be grim and dark rather than satirical and outrageous.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2019, 09:29:54 AM »
:banplz
Hi

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2019, 09:31:06 AM »
Nico: *agonizes over having to kill someone*

Also Nico: *shoots a thousands cops and drives a tank through downtown blowing up pedestrians*
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 09:48:09 AM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Himu

« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2019, 09:46:25 AM »

Also Nico: *shoots a thousands cops and drives a tank through downtime blowing up pedestrians*

Here's an even better one:

Also Nico: *kills man for 500 dollars*

Remember, GTAIV mission pay out was low to be "realistic". So you had Niko agonizing over murder while killing people for 100 bucks. Like Jesus, you're an illegal but get a damn job.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2019, 12:43:20 PM »
I wasn't disappointed with XV because I went in with absolutely zero expectations. Even though the game was pretty mediocre, and pretty low tier FF, the fact that they shipped something that wasn't an absolute clusterfuck and even had a few cool things about it (nice graphics and fun characters) was a slight miracle in itself.
^_^

kingv

« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2019, 01:55:24 PM »
GTA IV, but also:

Dragon Age Inquisition. Man, that mmo gameplay and real time waiting mini game both didn’t really suit the game at all.

I’d also say TMNT Mutants in Manhattan. It just really doesn’t play well for platinum.

Also, Star Fox on the Wii U. I really wanted to like it, but it sucks. The Wii U gimmick just didn’t work and made it confusing.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2019, 02:01:48 PM »
If we’re talking StarFox, StarFox Adventures on the GameCube was pretty disappointing
WDW

Rahxephon91

« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2019, 02:19:50 PM »
I don't really know what I think about GTAIV. At the time of release I think I liked it. I was never a GTA player who found fun in the "just killing the cops for to see how long I survive" gameplay. I like GTA games because of the scale, the city, and the whole world immersion. So on paper a GTA more focused on that sounds great. I loved Liberty City in 4. Really detailed and big and I felt like I liked the more grounded nature.

It's just that the missions were really boring. The one bank job mission that everyone knows basically being the sole exception.

But also the characters were pretty annoying and unfun. I don't care about the ludio narrative stuff with Nico. But Rockstar's shift from parodying crime movies to wanting to be one left me cold because as far as the GTA games go, I've never thought the actual storytelling has improved. Yes the actual writing is ok, but at the end of the day the plotting and story telling of the GTA games has never escaped the confines of games and in the end still feels like they are aping movies, but jist not winking anymore.

Gay Toney redeemed 4 in any case.

Himu

« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2019, 02:37:02 PM »
I was and am a GTA player that enjoys doing missions in various ways. For example in GTAIII a lot of the biggest missions are your own sandbox. The game gives you a goal, for example, assassinating Salvatore, and it's up to the player to use their creativity to accomplish that. Missions have tiers to them. There's one element,  like Salvatore walking to his car. You could use that opportunity to snipe him. There's a roof top with stairs across from Luigi's club (Sex Club 7, I can still remember that because that game is embedded into my brain) that allows you to do just this. You could wait until he gets in his car and fire a rocket missile at it if you have that weapon. But he also has an entourage and as soon as he gets in his car, there's a chase, which is the second tier of the mission.

Personally, I find Salvatore gets in his car took quick to snipe, so what I like to do is take a few cars and bar the exit to the alley. Salvatore can't get out because AI in GTA3 can't get into cars unless otherwise scripted to do so (for example, if you're inside it or it's the car they're supposed to get into). So the AI will be stuck in an endless loop because there's an obstacle. This is when I take the opportunity to climb the roof top and snipe him. I take the shot and speed off in a conveniently parked getaway car. Others might just assassinate point blank in front of his face. With enough armor to survive his goons it might be possible.

My absolute favorite open ended GTA moment is the final mission of Vice City. After you kill Lance you're on the roof of the mansion. There's guards below but they're easy to take out. I like to jump off the mansion roof, get into my garage, drive my car into the front door and run over the final boss, winning the mission.

GTA allowed that kind of freedom. The missions (not all of them of course) were fairly open-ended if you had the creativity to see it through.

GTAIV promised to expand upon this more than ever before. Previews suggested a Hitman-esque amount of freedom to how you commit missions. Instead what we got were some of the most plain jane, linear, creatively defunt missions in GTA history. What an utterly disappointing game.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2019, 02:48:32 PM »
Speaking of GTA and disappointments: not a single GTA this generation. :beli It's been six years. Fuck GTA Online. At this point, GTA could skip the generation. GTA is now the Dragon Quest of western games. That one game that gets one release a generation and is big enough to sustain that, making each release a massive milestone. Fuck.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2019, 03:13:49 PM »
Speaking of GTA and disappointments: not a single GTA this generation. :beli It's been six years. Fuck GTA Online. At this point, GTA could skip the generation. GTA is now the Dragon Quest of western games. That one game that gets one release a generation and is big enough to sustain that, making each release a massive milestone. Fuck.

Technically, 5 is this generation. It was only released last generation as a necessity sort of thing.

Speaking of GTA: 4 PC's version BLOWS. I've been trying for like 3 hours to fucking run "Episodes of Liberty City" to finally play the Ballad of Gay Tony. No dice. Once I finally get into the fucking game (using Xliveless) the game crashes on save and now crashes on loading.

:piss Rockstar :piss2 :piss Games for Windows Live :piss2

I guess I could just buy it on X-box 360 since I do have the base GTA4 copy laying around here and could just use that, but seriously: Fuck Games for Windows Live and fuck Rockstar for not fixing their shitty PC port.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #96 on: March 16, 2019, 03:17:08 PM »
I think GTA's problem is that the open world games that Rockstar makes are going to be huge productions. Taking a lot of time and money. They decided to make a new Red Dead and that pretty much took all of Rockstar to get done.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2019, 03:18:27 PM »
GTA Online should go in here because boy was that super unfun and not at all what most people wanted out of online GTA. Who the fuck thought "Wouldn't it be great if you could have shitty deathmatches and shitty races BUT ONLINE IN GTA"?
Well....

I guess millions of people seeing as it was hugely popular.

Himu

« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2019, 03:19:09 PM »
:aah I forgot about GWFL.

I wouldn't say technically. GTAV was released for last gen systems originally. It didn't come out for next gen systems until a complete year after. It's very much a last gen game and wasn't made exclusively for current systems. So while technically right, because this gen did get a GTAV port, I just don't consider it a current GTA game even though there were improvements.

Last gen wasn't done as a "necessity" at all. GTAV was announced and made for last gen systems years before next gen systems were even released. GTAV was announced in 2011. PS4 and Xbox One were revealed in 2013. It was not a "necessity" at all. GTAV is a last gen game.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2019, 03:20:01 PM »
I think GTA4 is the better simulation and GTA5 is the better game. Kinda like Far Cry 2 compared to the games that came after.

The games aren't as fun to play, but at the same time I find the simulation aspects interesting enough to alleviate them to about the same levels of enjoyment.

Himu

« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2019, 03:22:19 PM »
What is GTA4 a simulation of?
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2019, 03:23:17 PM »
:aah I forgot about GWFL.

I wouldn't say technically. GTAV was released for last gen systems originally. It didn't come out for next gen systems until a complete year after. It's very much a last gen game and wasn't made exclusively for current systems. So while technically right, because this gen did get a GTAV port, I just don't consider it a current GTA game even though there were improvements.

I'd say 5 is this generation if only because of the clear performance and graphical improvements that 5 introduced on PC and PS4.

First Person Mode. :aah
Not shitty sub-720p resolution. :aah

I mean I'd consider MGS6/Phantom Pain next-gen as well, and Konami MANDATED they release that on PS360. So I consider it the same with GTA5: They were trying to push for next-gen and someone at Rockstar (Howser?) pushed them to release it on the last-gen consoles to get sales from folks that may not buy a "next-gen" console for 2-4 years.

Himu

« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2019, 03:24:22 PM »
Also GTAV was announced 8 years ago??

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2019, 03:27:08 PM »
They were trying to push for next-gen and someone at Rockstar (Howser?) pushed them to release it on the last-gen consoles to get sales from folks that may not buy a "next-gen" console for 2-4 years.

Is this speculation or confirmed? I'd like to read about it if so.

I've never played the upgraded GTAV. I've only played it on PS3. I should replay it one of these days. I really, really, really miss GTA something awful.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2019, 03:29:41 PM »
What? I'm talking about the gameplay. They went for more realistic physics/damage models and different cool concepts in early 360/ps3 era games.

Watch the two crowbcat videos on both GTA4 and Far Cry 2.

thisismyusername

« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2019, 03:30:30 PM »
Speculation. But Konami's is confirmed by a Kojima Production LA developer (though I forget if there's an article floating around that I can link to).

A lot of those cross-gen titles of that time were (IMO) in a lot of the similar mind-frame: Get people that aren't upgrading right now to buy the game, they may get a better version later on.

Himu

« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2019, 03:30:49 PM »
What? I'm talking about the gameplay. They went for more realistic physics/damage models and different cool concepts in early 360/ps3 era games.

Watch the two crowbcat videos on both GTA4 and Far Cry 2.

I know but while GTA4 was more "realistic" I never considered it a simulation is all. But I can see it.

I personally hated the physics.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2019, 03:41:35 PM »
Gaming disappointment: all of my childhood faves.

Sonic - sucks
Street Fighter - V is a train wreck, and VI might be even worse
Final Fantasy - lost its shit, have to play an mmo to play a legit FF now apparently. The creators think it's best that I, someone who was raised on VII, should eat shit and have decided to make the VII remake an action rpg.
Suikoden - dead
SMT - sold out to people that want a waifu
GTA - like a neglectful parent. They're hard at work but you never see them around anymore.

Shenmue III sounds good, Breath of the Wild looks legit, and Mario is still kicking ass so there's that.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2019, 03:47:52 PM »
Sonic Mania was good?

Himu

« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2019, 03:48:55 PM »
I don't like Sonic at all anymore. It's unfortunate but I don't find it fun anymore despite it being a huge part of my childhood gaming diet. It's weird. I just don't enjoy Sonic anymore, which is a travesty in itself.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2019, 03:52:07 PM »
FF15 would've been good if they cut all the crap story and I could just hang with the guys. Blast Terra's Theme in the car and go fishing.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2019, 08:40:26 PM »

I saw the counter-arguments, but Cindi's right: GTA V and Online are both last-gen efforts with substantial improvements in the updates.

It is pretty much crazy that GTA Online has made enough money that R* is not interested in sullying their revenue stream with a new effort. RDR2 is the closest that fills their niche, but is far enough away from GTA's theme that it was a safer focus than making GTA VI? Or maybe the income curve for GTA Online is finally slowing down enough that it's time to crank up a different money printing device?

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2019, 09:21:15 PM »
Recently, RDR2. It's overlong, has unnecessarily complicated controls, and worst of all it's ultimately boring in service to a misguided sense of realism. Online is an empty microtransaction dumpster which doesn't carry over one single mode or feature that made the first one so fun. I suppose if you like to play dress up you might like that part of it, but you can just buy a cut out paper doll book at the dollar store and get the same effect. The Hausers need to light a candle and search for a path out of their own asses.
sup

thisismyusername

« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2019, 12:26:37 AM »
Nah, fuck GTA6. I want a goddamn expansion pack to GTA5. Like, the north area (where you start with Trevor) is barely used outside of like 2 missions and a bank robbery. They could give us Los Santos and San Ferro a la the 3: San Andreas release finally, but nooooooooo gotta put more vehicles into GTA:Online and fleece folks still playing that without hackers BTFO of the stupid grind for shark cards so they can get that stupid shit.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2019, 01:02:57 AM »

Also Nico: *shoots a thousands cops and drives a tank through downtime blowing up pedestrians*

Here's an even better one:

Also Nico: *kills man for 500 dollars*

Remember, GTAIV mission pay out was low to be "realistic". So you had Niko agonizing over murder while killing people for 100 bucks. Like Jesus, you're an illegal but get a damn job.
:trumps
Hi