Author Topic: SAMURAI SHODOWN!!!!  (Read 30200 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: SAMURAI SHODOWN!!!!
« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2019, 12:06:12 AM »
Just perfected a guy doing nothing but simple cross-ups :rofl  It's hard to believe how clueless some players are when they can't mash out combos.

Loading for me is about 14-15 seconds per match and 2-3 seconds for rematches, BTW.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #121 on: June 27, 2019, 01:11:39 AM »
Yeah, that's too long loading for a fighting game. Single player seems even worse, like survival you sit and wait a few seconds to load the next fighter each time and story mode has a lot of loading.

It feels like a PS1 fighting game load times, I haven't played any fighter in a while with this long of loading. I gotta imagine Steam version on an SSD is like instant no loading which would be so much better.

Bebpo

« Reply #122 on: June 27, 2019, 04:25:49 AM »
So I don't really follow competitive fighting games much anymore, but I'm seeing all these 100% combos and crazy unblockables already coming out for this game. Does that mean the game is broken af if they don't patch things?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2019, 07:50:43 AM »
Yeah, that's too long loading for a fighting game.

:mindblown

No, no it's really not.

Single player seems even worse, like survival you sit and wait a few seconds to load the next fighter each time and story mode has a lot of loading.

Will have to check these out- only played training and online.

It feels like a PS1 fighting game load times, I haven't played any fighter in a while with this long of loading. I gotta imagine Steam version on an SSD is like instant no loading which would be so much better.

Double or even triple this and you have PS1 load times for a lot of games back then.  14-15 seconds is fine.  Not saying it's the best ever, but it's not long.  I just recently slapped a new faster SSD into my laptop and booted up SFV- took 12 seconds to get into a match.   Tekken 7 took 14 seconds.  DOA6 took 8 seconds.  SC6 took 12 seconds.  So it's generally on par with most games.

So I don't really follow competitive fighting games much anymore, but I'm seeing all these 100% combos and crazy unblockables already coming out for this game. Does that mean the game is broken af if they don't patch things?

...It just came out less than two days ago!   :lol  Nobody knows what the hell is going on right now- people don't even know if certain characters are crap or just "difficult to learn" yet. 

If anything that actually works outside of training stuff with settings changed up, they'll patch it.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #124 on: June 27, 2019, 10:58:00 AM »
loading times on all those games is too long tbh. tekken is especially long, even on a rematch. it's stupid. ps4 tekken is really horrendous though, feel bad for anyone who uses that as their main setup.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: June 27, 2019, 12:17:21 PM »
loading times on all those games is too long tbh. tekken is especially long, even on a rematch. it's stupid. ps4 tekken is really horrendous though, feel bad for anyone who uses that as their main setup.

I wish they were all Jacky I've got hands of lightning fast, but I can wait like 15 seconds for a match.  I remember the days of 30+ second load times...or worse.  NeoGeo CD will do that to you.
ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #126 on: June 27, 2019, 01:10:30 PM »
PC just spoils everyone. I never messed with NeoCD but remember awful PS1 days.

I haven’t minded the loading too much in SamSho aside from maybe arcade mode. Also I like the frog. :doge

Main gripes so far are being stuck in the dojo for time attack/ survival/etc. and the lack of blood when Ukyo coughs.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: June 27, 2019, 01:24:02 PM »
But the load times I posted are for PC!  :lol

Might help on PS4 to switch to an SSD.  I didn't bother since at this point the next console is out in a year or so.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #128 on: June 27, 2019, 02:07:14 PM »
owning a naomi taught me to be patient for loads heh. especially since mine didn't cache gd-rom stuff right for a while so it was like 10-15 minutes from boot til CVS2 was playable every time i turned it on :-\

Bebpo

« Reply #129 on: June 27, 2019, 03:41:57 PM »
Will have to check these out- only played training and online.

PC just spoils everyone. I never messed with NeoCD but remember awful PS1 days.

I haven’t minded the loading too much in SamSho aside from maybe arcade mode. Also I like the frog. :doge

Main gripes so far are being stuck in the dojo for time attack/ survival/etc. and the lack of blood when Ukyo coughs.

Yeah, I think the difference is that I don't play online much so all my time with SamSho has been in arcade/story mode and the loading is pretty rough there.

Also story mode is fucking long, so the load times just make it feel even longer. Took me like 15 mins to get to the final boss not skipping cutscenes/intros which is a lot for a simple arcade mode run. Also got to the final boss with Nakoruru who I don't know how to play and who does very small damage and yeah could not beat that boss. Got to phase 2 but my damage output was tiny and damage incoming was a loooot.

One thing I didn't notice at first is how the characters get more bloody as the round goes. This is cool and I don't think I've seen it done this well in any other fighters. The dismemberment kills look stupid, but the standing blood spray looks pretty good.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #130 on: June 27, 2019, 08:13:29 PM »
Dismemberment only looks terrible on Earthquake.  :lol

2nd Phase of the boss sucks, I can see the patterns but am not quick enough to dodge.

One thing I really like about this game is how rewarding it is to FG fundamentals. I think spending some time in training versus mid-hard level CPU and just practicing defense for a bit will pay dividends.

Rman

« Reply #131 on: June 28, 2019, 02:28:06 PM »
Picking this up. Love the original Samurai Shodown.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2019, 11:02:28 PM »
Absolutely loving this game brehs
:rejoice
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: July 03, 2019, 11:36:25 AM »
Couldn't help myself brehs- special "Akihabara" limited version of the Japanese CE popped up for sale on eBay.

Had to buy it
:stahp

Now whether or not it actually comes or the seller is an eBay scumbag is another story.  :doge
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #134 on: July 03, 2019, 12:23:17 PM »
In preparation for my EVO viewing, what are the aspects of this game that make it resonate so strongly with players? I'm curious about why this game seems so popular.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #135 on: July 03, 2019, 12:36:30 PM »
In preparation for my EVO viewing, what are the aspects of this game that make it resonate so strongly with players? I'm curious about why this game seems so popular.

1. Been a long, long time since there was a new Samurai Shodown game released- The last one was in 2008!

2. Been an even longer time since there was a new *good* Samurai Shodown game released- 2008's Sen, which was like a bad Soul Calibur clone, SUCKED.

3. The game to me doesn't really feel all that different than say, Samurai Shodown V Special (from 2003!), but the thing is....nowadays there's really nothing else like it out there because of the way it plays.  It's not combo-oriented at all.  Spacing and footsies are king. 
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #136 on: July 03, 2019, 12:50:19 PM »
Interesting, thank you. I'm not a hardcore fighting fan so forgive me, but I never even heard of the series until the latest game (and I've heard of some obscure fighters.) It's odd that it escaped my notice for so long.

People are sick of combos now?

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #137 on: July 03, 2019, 01:21:23 PM »
I wouldn’t say people are necessarily sick of combos, but a lot of fighters can feel kinda samey. This one is different from most of what comes out these days, just feels meaty and old school...it’s that gum you like coming back in style.  :lol

I’m sure at least some of it is nostalgia, curious to see reactions from non-FG people.

Tasty

« Reply #138 on: July 03, 2019, 01:24:10 PM »
So it's the DOOM 2016 of fighting games? :thinking

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: July 03, 2019, 01:31:06 PM »
Interesting, thank you. I'm not a hardcore fighting fan so forgive me, but I never even heard of the series until the latest game (and I've heard of some obscure fighters.) It's odd that it escaped my notice for so long.

:crazy :mindblown

It's so weird reading that.  :lol  This game was pretty big for a time in the early-mid 90s and the first game got released on SNES, Genesis, Gameboy, Game Gear, Sega CD, and 3DO back in the day.  Plus they re-released it in compilations on PS2, Wii, and PSP and versions have popped on on XBLA and PSN for 360 and PS3.  More recently there's versions of the older games on PS4, Xbone, PC, and Switch! 

You're not the only one who said this to me- I told a co-worker about it and he bought it last weekend.  He was gushing all about it yesterday and told me he'd never heard of the game before.  Dude is maybe early 30s?  I guess I can see it being before some people's times.

SS has always been like this.  They did add some canned combos to SS4 (and a few of the later ones), but for the most part, it's never been a combo-heavy title.  The new game has a very "old school" feel in this regard.  I absolutely love them for going this route with it.  I needed a new fighting game to get hooked on.  SNK Heroines was a novelty, SC6 fell off a lot for me (would like to play it more though), DOA6 was kind of a disappointment with how they handled things, and MK11 I shouldn't have even bothered with.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #140 on: July 03, 2019, 01:34:39 PM »
So it's the DOOM 2016 of fighting games? :thinking

From a game play standpoint, sort of- definitely not from a sales standpoint, I'm sure.  :lol :japancry
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: July 03, 2019, 01:34:45 PM »
ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #142 on: July 03, 2019, 06:17:53 PM »
I'm not saying I'd have bought anything, but that's pretty dope. I think I'd rather the Haohmaru mock AES case over the new raven guy.

Himu

« Reply #143 on: July 03, 2019, 06:26:58 PM »
Don’t have money or ps+ fuck my life
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #144 on: July 04, 2019, 03:29:22 AM »
Thank you guys. :)

:crazy :mindblown

It's so weird reading that.  :lol  This game was pretty big for a time in the early-mid 90s and the first game got released on SNES, Genesis, Gameboy, Game Gear, Sega CD, and 3DO back in the day.  Plus they re-released it in compilations on PS2, Wii, and PSP and versions have popped on on XBLA and PSN for 360 and PS3.  More recently there's versions of the older games on PS4, Xbone, PC, and Switch! 

You're not the only one who said this to me- I told a co-worker about it and he bought it last weekend.  He was gushing all about it yesterday and told me he'd never heard of the game before.  Dude is maybe early 30s?  I guess I can see it being before some people's times.

SS has always been like this.  They did add some canned combos to SS4 (and a few of the later ones), but for the most part, it's never been a combo-heavy title.  The new game has a very "old school" feel in this regard.  I absolutely love them for going this route with it.  I needed a new fighting game to get hooked on.  SNK Heroines was a novelty, SC6 fell off a lot for me (would like to play it more though), DOA6 was kind of a disappointment with how they handled things, and MK11 I shouldn't have even bothered with.

Looking into the series more, I've seen the *characters* pop up in places, but I didn't know what they were from. This might also just be me, but "Samurai Showdown" sounds a bit generic and has a hard time sticking in my mind. The hype I see from all corners is what made me take another look.  I definitely understand the appeal better now.

Bebpo

« Reply #145 on: July 04, 2019, 04:04:22 AM »
Whether Samurai Showdown is a household name depends on how much time you spent in bowling alleys between 1990-1995.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: July 04, 2019, 09:59:08 AM »
Whether Samurai Showdown is a household name depends on how much time you spent in bowling alleys between 1990-1995.

Heh- that is where I first played it!   :lol 

But it was in every single arcade in my area, too, and was quite popular.  There was usually that one game that made everybody queue up and SS was that game for a while in '93 and '94.  I remember everyone waiting to play the game when some random dude walks in, tells everyone that a local mall arcade just got Samurai Shodown II, and everybody ran out and jumped into their cars to go drive down there.   :lol

Although SS2 was the better game in pretty much every way, I don't remember it being as popular as SS1 was.  It not not getting a home version at the time may have something to do with it- there was a period of time where SNK decided against letting anyone port their games to other platforms -apparently after enough complaints from NeoGeo owners were received- so some stuff from '94 never saw release on anything else until like a decade later.

I saw SS3 in one arcade (in another state!) and that was it.  Already had the Saturn port or the Neo CD port of it by that point so didn't care.

SS4 brought people back to it, but it still didn't reach SS1 levels.  And that was it.  A couple of years later, I found an arcade that had one of the Hyper NeoGeo 64 games, but the machine was dead, lol.  Didn't see a new SS game in an arcade until SS6 in 2005 in Japan.  Then Sen came out and just sucked all kinds of ass.  What made things worse is that Sen was developed by former Tenchu devs K2, who in turn were formed by ex-SNK staff who had worked on the original SS games.  No idea how they fucked it up.

I have yet to play either Hyper NeoGeo 64 SS game.  Guess I should check the state of emulation for that stuff.  The PS1 "Warrior's Rage 2" game that was not really like those games, IIRC, also sucked ass.  But the NeoGeo Pocket Color Samurai Shodown! 2 was basically a scaled down 2D version of those games and was pretty fun to play.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 10:10:06 AM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: July 04, 2019, 10:11:30 AM »
A lot of people didn't care for Samurai Shodown 6, but I really enjoyed it.  Yeah, yeah, no blood.  Didn't care- it was awesome having pretty much the entire cast of SS1-5, plus a few new additions, in one game.  Can't think of too many other fighting games where you can fight in front of the white house.  Maybe Martial Champion?  LOL.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #148 on: July 04, 2019, 10:36:13 AM »

Or convenience stores.
IYKYK

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #149 on: July 04, 2019, 10:59:02 AM »
SamSho has traditionally been mishandled in the west, arguably overall.

SS1 was ported everywhere with varying levels of success, but it broke through and was as popular as it deserved to be. SS2 was a great follow up, reviewed great and had good distribution, but SNK decided to try and capitalize on it as an exclusive to move hardware. I'm sure it worked somewhat in Japan, but in the US it relegated them to niche territory.

Even though it was only released like a year or so later, SS3 came (out at least here) with zero hype, and it made very little impact...reviews I remember being pretty middling. I actually liked SS3, but it was definitely a departure from 2 (believe it was a new team?). Total change of tone and was pretty janky/felt rushed. They actually ported this one, the Saturn port was pretty good with the ram cart but the PS1 port was expectedly dire. SNK wasn't even going to bring it over, Sony did to bolster their library/get nerd cred. Issue was the target audience had already imported, same vicious cycle deal as all 2D ports in the US, which eventually stopped. On top of this this 3D fighters were at this point passe in the mainstream...I remember getting into an argument with someone that claimed Toshinden was superior.  :-\

4 was fantastic IMO, but the series was dead in the US. I only saw a few places that had it, but generally on busted MVS cabs. This is kind of the point where arcades were dying and everyone was just playing at home anyway. I played the shit out of the import Saturn rev tho.

Series continued on in Japan more or less for another ten yearsish but word of mouth was mediocre to where I never cared enough to get past the barrier of entry (I didn't really import past PS1/Saturn). I mean aside from V Special which was pretty much off limits unless you had a console and a rare copy. I only got to play recently...but that  while it's awesome it's old.

The fact that we get at least one more good one makes me happy, and I am glad it's getting the attention that it is. I hope it goes on a few seasons.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #150 on: July 04, 2019, 11:09:43 AM »
A lot of people didn't care for Samurai Shodown 6, but I really enjoyed it.  Yeah, yeah, no blood.  Didn't care- it was awesome having pretty much the entire cast of SS1-5, plus a few new additions, in one game.  Can't think of too many other fighting games where you can fight in front of the white house.  Maybe Martial Champion?  LOL.

When I finally got to play VI it felt too much like mugen or something.  :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #151 on: July 04, 2019, 02:37:05 PM »

Or convenience stores.

Whaaaaaat. My 7-11s and stuff never had arcade games wtf, yours did?

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #152 on: July 04, 2019, 03:50:01 PM »
Most places round here did.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: July 04, 2019, 11:02:17 PM »
SamSho has traditionally been mishandled in the west, arguably overall.

SS1 was ported everywhere with varying levels of success, but it broke through and was as popular as it deserved to be. SS2 was a great follow up, reviewed great and had good distribution, but SNK decided to try and capitalize on it as an exclusive to move hardware. I'm sure it worked somewhat in Japan, but in the US it relegated them to niche territory.

SNK keeping their games NeoGeo-only was an absolutely baffling decision.  It must have been due to the Playstation and Saturn releases, but yeah...if they thought their NeoGeo CD would somehow be able to compete with them...lol.  Just...lol.  I mean, I loved having a Neo CDZ back in the day and had like 50+ games for it.   But it was clearly a niche system.

Also to note, SNK tried some other genres with their IPs, but we never got those in English, either- Samurai Shodown and KOF both had RPGs.  The Samurai RPG was pretty good- had very nice sprites, art, and music, and multiple playable characters/stories.  You selected a main character and got other characters to join your party (except for Genjuro- he fights alone and can hit multiple enemies at once to make up for it), then went through the stories of either SS1 or SS2.  The Neo CD version also had a little bonus extra mini story where you played as Shizumaru from SS3.   :)

Even though it was only released like a year or so later, SS3 came (out at least here) with zero hype, and it made very little impact...reviews I remember being pretty middling. I actually liked SS3, but it was definitely a departure from 2 (believe it was a new team?). Total change of tone and was pretty janky/felt rushed.

Yeah- SNK had a thing around this time where the third game in every series would be very different from the previous versions.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but I can't think of a single game that people thought was better than the previous one overall.  Generally it took a follow-up to 'fix' things.  See also- KOF '96, Fatal Fury 3, and Art Of Fighting 3 (which never got another game, but the same team made the infinitely better Last Blade 1+2 plus Garou MOTW).

They actually ported this one, the Saturn port was pretty good with the ram cart but the PS1 port was expectedly dire. SNK wasn't even going to bring it over, Sony did to bolster their library/get nerd cred. Issue was the target audience had already imported, same vicious cycle deal as all 2D ports in the US, which eventually stopped. On top of this this 3D fighters were at this point passe in the mainstream...I remember getting into an argument with someone that claimed Toshinden was superior.  :-\

The PS1 port was the biggest piece of shit at the time.  Just a complete travesty of a release.  KOF '95 PS1 wasn't that much better and of course these were the games that Sony released.  They bombed, and we didn't get much else from SNK on the PS1 in 'Murica until a few years later.  Most of their PS1 games never released outside of Japan IIRC, which sucks because some of their ports weren't bad for the time.  Samurai Shodown IV was much better than III and despite missing frames, played smoothly.  It even had Cham-Cham added in Vs. mode.  And then Real Bout Special Dominated Mind was absolutely fantastic and was its own Fatal Fury entry- more than just a port.  But nobody knew about it.

This reminds me that Sony had kind of an anti-2D sprite game stance for a while and we missed a lot of good games in English because of that dumb shit.

4 was fantastic IMO, but the series was dead in the US. I only saw a few places that had it, but generally on busted MVS cabs. This is kind of the point where arcades were dying and everyone was just playing at home anyway. I played the shit out of the import Saturn rev tho.

That was 1996- arcades still had a couple of good years left, at least where I am, they didn't start dying until around 2000.  SS4 was in a couple of places near me and got a decent amount of play, but it was nowhere near SS1 or even SS2 levels.

The fact that we get at least one more good one makes me happy, and I am glad it's getting the attention that it is. I hope it goes on a few seasons.

More DLC characters would be awesome.  I really hope this game picks up steam with Evo.  Also hope the PC and especially the Switch ports turn out well. 

When I finally got to play VI it felt too much like mugen or something.  :lol

All those Atomiswave Capcom and SNK games felt like that back then!  :lol
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #154 on: July 05, 2019, 07:58:36 PM »
I had no ideas that combos were kept to a minimum in these games. That's right up my alley. I've only done decently in fighters when using slow strong characters who can drain your heath with simple combos. Combo heavy games like MvC are way too much for me.

Bebpo

« Reply #155 on: July 05, 2019, 11:09:03 PM »
Anyone want to play some online matches? Haven't touched this since the first day or two and been itching to get back and play some MP.

Bebpo

« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2019, 01:13:24 AM »
Had some good online matches. Getting the hang of it. Still just using my old SS1/2 main of Ukyo and mixing up flying swallows and illusion dash thing and apple slicing with slide kicks and slide swords. Struggled hard on a Yoshitora with his huuuuuuuuuuuuge range and length of his hard attack that hits 5 times and knocks you way back. Was having trouble getting in. Went to practice mode afterwards and got the timing down for sword reversal of that if you see him raise his arm back for it.

I never would've thought that like 20 years later I'd still be playing Samurai Shodown with Ukyo doing the same 3 moves. In a lot of fighting games like SF I'm kinda annoyed if they don't give old characters new moves because otherwise they feel kinda boring after all this time, but oppositely in SS 2019 I'm glad the old characters pretty much just have the same moves as 1992 or whatever. Makes it much easier getting back into it if you played a lot of SS1/2 back in the day.

At some point I should probably try some of these SS3/4/5 and new characters. I think I played as Basara a couple times when SS3 came out since he was the coolest looking new character but generally I didn't mess around with anyone from SS4 and beyond. SS3 probably last one I actually played in the arcades. Like I recognize Yoshitora from SS4 or SS5 but I don't think I've ever used him. I did use the bow bunny girl in SS5 the times I played that. Kinda surprised she didn't make the cut because she has a pretty standout design like Basara. Feels like with cutting Cham Cham out and not including characters like that they're trying to cull the fanservice in this one to appeal to more of the FGC, which is fine but both of those characters were pretty awesome.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: July 06, 2019, 03:33:33 PM »
Anyone want to play some online matches? Haven't touched this since the first day or two and been itching to get back and play some MP.

Was sleeping when you posted this or would have been up for it!
ど助平

Rman

« Reply #158 on: July 06, 2019, 05:39:43 PM »
Laundromats for me.

Beezy

« Reply #159 on: July 07, 2019, 09:35:09 PM »
This game is awesome. :heart

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: July 08, 2019, 10:14:11 AM »
The game developer SNK has announced that Samurai Shodown (or Samurai Spirits) have topped 40,606 units sold in Japan. The units include the 30,179 physical copies and 10,427 digital copies. And to celebrate such milestone, SNK will release a FREE Samurai Shodown theme for PlayStation this mid-July in Japan.

Good for them, hope it did well here too!
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #161 on: July 08, 2019, 03:37:21 PM »

Or convenience stores.

In the 80s they did... I distinctly remember playing Rastan at one.
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: July 08, 2019, 05:15:47 PM »

Or convenience stores.

In the 80s they did... I distinctly remember playing Rastan at one.

In the arcade heyday, they were everywhere on Long Island- I remember seeing or playing games in convenience stores, pizza places, laundry mats, bowling alleys, batting cages, and comic stores.   After SF2 came out, almost all these places had that or other early fighting games.  There was a comic store I went to once that had four arcade machines in the back- Including SF2 CE and a NeoGeo with World Heroes, which was the first time I saw that.  Literally everyone was there to play games and didn't care about the comics, lol.  All these teenagers were huddled around WH playing the death match mode.  I thought it was going to overtake SF2 and become the new big fighting game.   :lol
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: July 08, 2019, 05:16:02 PM »
It came!  IT IS REAL  :o

20000 MEGA-POWER!  :o :o

O.G. NeoGeo AES style box
:lawd
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #164 on: July 08, 2019, 07:21:03 PM »
That's awesome!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #165 on: July 08, 2019, 07:57:24 PM »
Matches up pretty well with Limited Run Games' KOF '97 release.

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #166 on: July 09, 2019, 02:14:48 PM »
Played for a while last night, mostly in ranked- finding better players now.  Had a frustrating set of matches against a Yoshitora scrub.  It's not that hard to counter his hard slash and make him lose his weapon, but the combination of that and some of his specials just made for some boring, RAGE filled matches.  :lol :rage  Used it as an opportunity to practice.

Also messed around with multiple characters during some sets and in casual lobbies.  Nakoruru is fucking AWESOME and I may have to start using her.  I love using Kyoshiro but some match-ups are really hard.  Holy FUCK Genjuro is TOO GOOD (fought against him and got annihilated).  And Shiki...uh...I tried.  There's got to be something missing here.  She can't suck that much.   :doge

Surprisingly few Haohmarus online so I used him a bit too.  He's pretty solid.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #167 on: July 09, 2019, 02:35:48 PM »
I still haven't used anyone other than Ukyo and one run with Nakoruru in story mode  :lol
I need to try some of these other characters.

What do you like about Nakoruru? I liked the movement options but her range with her sword and her damage is really small which throws me off.

And yeah, Yoshitora feels annoying to play against because his moves have huge fucking range and huge fucking damage. I had a match against the guy on the raven guy (who I feel like 50% of online players use) and we did like 10 rematches because they were good matches. When I played a Yoshitora guy I did one rematch out of courtesy and then got the fuck out because it was just annoying fighting that guy.

Beezy

« Reply #168 on: July 09, 2019, 07:37:56 PM »
I've only used Haohmaru and Darli Dagger in ranked so far. Won a match with like no health after getting disarmed. I guess my opponent didn't know that her hard Point Break attack eats one attack and deals out a shitload of damage. :lol

I haven't really spent time with anyone else yet. Nakoruru and Galford were the characters I tried using when I played on my friend's NeoGeo Pocket back in the day, so maybe I'll give them a try. Jubei interests me too. My worst match has been against Hanzo Hattori. He's all over the place.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #169 on: July 09, 2019, 09:47:19 PM »
I still haven't used anyone other than Ukyo and one run with Nakoruru in story mode  :lol
I need to try some of these other characters.

What do you like about Nakoruru? I liked the movement options but her range with her sword and her damage is really small which throws me off.

Fast and can really dish out punishment up close.  Good normals.  Good 'extra' movement options with the bird and her slide attack.  Really it's stuff from older games- you can use Mamahaha as both a ride and as your projectile as always, plus the Kamui Rimuse will stop projectiles as well.

And yeah, Yoshitora feels annoying to play against because his moves have huge fucking range and huge fucking damage. I had a match against the guy on the raven guy (who I feel like 50% of online players use) and we did like 10 rematches because they were good matches. When I played a Yoshitora guy I did one rematch out of courtesy and then got the fuck out because it was just annoying fighting that guy.

His spammier stuff is easy to see coming, but doing multiple matches against was so tiring and tedious, lol.  Need to find a good counter character to him. 
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #170 on: July 10, 2019, 03:50:32 AM »
I just realized that a bunch of SS games are on the Switch. I'd like to play one on my commutes. Which one do you guys feel plays most similar to the new one?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #171 on: July 10, 2019, 07:03:48 AM »
I just realized that a bunch of SS games are on the Switch. I'd like to play one on my commutes. Which one do you guys feel plays most similar to the new one?

Samurai V Special!
ど助平

Coax

« Reply #172 on: July 10, 2019, 12:07:50 PM »
Just remembered the loading screen rabbit animation reminded me very much of this library of Japanese illustrations. I wonder if they commissioned the original artist for it or were just inspired by the style. The license permits up to 20 illustrations per game but without modification. Such a great range of illustrations.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: July 10, 2019, 12:15:51 PM »
They're very much done in an older Edo-era art style- I swear I've seen that rabbit running animation in another SNK game, but can't remember which one and on what platform.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #174 on: July 10, 2019, 12:21:48 PM »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #175 on: July 10, 2019, 12:24:49 PM »