Borys

Game
« on: April 25, 2019, 10:46:31 AM »
`
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 08:31:24 AM by Borys »

Bebpo

Re: Days Gone Wrong
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 10:49:40 AM »
Yeah, about expected. Never looked particularly interesting and the developer doesn’t have a great track record. They tend to be about a 7/10 studio.

BisMarckie

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 10:51:56 AM »
More like Days Yawn. :rodney

Bebpo

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 10:58:29 AM »
Isn't it pretty easy to do an open world game, though? And with zombies to boot? Even UbiSoft can do this.

Zombies have been boring af for a while. It’s really hard to make a good zombie game in modern times. Not sure what Sony was thinking funding this. Would have been better off giving them a Syphon Filter reboot since the stealth genre is pretty empty these days.

Next up on the low score track is gonna be Ghost of Tsushima. I like Infamous, but they’re an 8/10 studio and a parry/counter/stealth samurai game is fucked after Sekiro. Gonna be non-stop comparisons and it’s really unlikely it will hold up.

Spider-man was a good fit/catch and TLoU2 should be high quality but not expecting any other good first party titles left on PS4 since everyone else is on PS5 stuff now.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 11:04:27 AM »
this has always seemed terrible, not sure why anyone was really expecting anything.  :lol

seems it is exactly what it has looked like since the reveal.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 11:11:17 AM »
Funny that World War Z, a game that randomly came out 6 years after the movie that people only sorta liked, turns out to be the better zombie game this week.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 11:23:44 AM »
Next up on the low score track is gonna be Ghost of Tsushima. I like Infamous, but they’re an 8/10 studio and a parry/counter/stealth samurai game is fucked after Sekiro. Gonna be non-stop comparisons and it’s really unlikely it will hold up.

Ehh... can't really say. Remember how everyone was saying FROM fucked up because Nioh was first Samurai Souls? Yet they delivered an extraordinary and different title. Same might happen to Ghost: it will not be "another Sekiro" but something different.

I will probably buy it on PS5, tho.

I hope so, I like all the infamous games and Tsushima sure looks pretty. I’m glad Nioh & Sekiro are doing different things so they’re both relevant. Still haven’t played Nioh outside the demo, but looking forward to it at some point for a more rpg style take on Samurai souls.

But what we’ve seen of Tsushima the combat and stealth are both very similar to Sekiro so it’s totally gonna get compared and imo there’s no way Sucker Punch beats From on those two aspects of it.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 11:32:41 AM »
From the studio who brought you Bubsy 3D.
zzzzz

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 11:44:08 AM »
Perfect thread title :lol :clap

Never gave a shit about this one.  Always just looked like a hard pass. 
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 12:06:51 PM »
Yeah, about expected. Never looked particularly interesting and the developer doesn’t have a great track record. They tend to be about a 7/10 studio.

Holy shit, they made Bubsy 3D?  :lol

But then they made all the Syphon Filter games, Resistance Retribution, and Uncharted Golden Compass- I thought people generally liked all those titles?
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 12:13:06 PM »
The main character design is a fucking joke.  A total nutcup version of Kevin Smith.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 12:24:18 PM »
More like Years Wasted.

Bebpo

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 12:33:28 PM »

Holy shit, they made Bubsy 3D?  :lol

But then they made all the Syphon Filter games, Resistance Retribution, and Uncharted Golden Compass- I thought people generally liked all those titles?

I liked Syphon Filter back on PS1, sure. But that was the PS1 era. I enjoyed Retribution and Golden Compass but both were sorta 7/10 just decent imitations of their main games which was good enough for portable gaming. They weren't the kind of studio I'd expect a big budget quality AAA game from. Should've put them on a medium budget AA title in a genre that needed it.

They're kinda like Ready at Dawn but I thought Ready at Dawn was the better of the two.
And I even really liked The Order, but at least that was doing something original and interesting and Days Gone is none of that.
It's too bad RAD became Oculus-exclusive developer in the last few years. Would like to play their stuff but even when I get a PC VR headset I doubt I'd go Oculus since Vive and maybe the new Valve one are likely better tech.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 12:52:26 PM »
glad this one turned out to be an average. now i wont feel like i'm missing out on playing it. gamefly got my back
fat

ILikePizza

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2019, 12:53:36 PM »
Someone please check in on Loudninja and make sure he's OK.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2019, 12:55:29 PM »
Seems ok, but all the crafting shit probably gonna get tedious, like in Horizon.

Bebpo

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2019, 01:11:43 PM »
Eh, coming from 2018 with Astrobot, Spider-Man and God of War winning most of the awards I don't think Sony's having much of a first party problem. There's always gonna be some duds between the good stuff. I mean MS just had the whole Crackdown 3 fiasco.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2019, 01:23:32 PM »
Eh, coming from 2018 with Astrobot, Spider-Man and God of War winning most of the awards I don't think Sony's having much of a first party problem. There's always gonna be some duds between the good stuff. I mean MS just had the whole Crackdown 3 fiasco.
I'd probably enjoy this more than God Of War.
Most inexplicably praised game i've ever seen.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2019, 01:25:31 PM »
Days Gone Wrong
Hog Mild
Days Yawn
Years Wasted

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

:bow :bow2
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2019, 01:29:41 PM »
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2019, 01:37:41 PM »
Game always looked mediocre, middle of the ground. Nothing interesting at all with regards to gameplay.

What

Svejk

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2019, 01:54:07 PM »
PS+ freebie come this Summer.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Still wouldn't dl it.  :doge
[close]

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2019, 02:03:07 PM »
I thought it looked alright in this QL. I might pick it up when it's <$20

___

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2019, 02:07:51 PM »
wait this is another bum ass open world game? jesus how boring
fat

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2019, 02:26:52 PM »
wait this is another bum ass open world game? jesus how boring
Implying it would've been less boring if it was another linear movie game like The Order, Dad of War, UYncharted, Last of Us, Hellblade, etc.  :doge

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2019, 02:51:53 PM »
it would be, actually. all those games were fun to play since they're more digestable. open world games are just busywork
fat

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2019, 03:01:13 PM »
it would be, actually. all those games were fun to play since they're more digestable. open world games are just busywork
Sony's open worlds have been pretty bland, but i'd rather dick around in an open world than sit through another "walk and talk" sequence.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2019, 03:45:19 PM »
Will never understand people hating on God of War or TLOU.

Yes, they are "walk and talk" but best in their walky-talky genre.

I love TLOU, but GoW just did nothing for me. Maybe it was due to also hating the kid and kratos conversations, but the gameplay also just left me being meh

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2019, 03:53:12 PM »

Last of us is good.
God of War is shit.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2019, 03:53:34 PM »

Some people value gameplay, mechanics, and a slick sense of style over Western game devs that try their hardest to make a movie out of a videogame.
OH!

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2019, 04:37:41 PM »
I'll get it on sale for $20 eventually.

nachobro

• Live Más

Let's Cyber

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2019, 04:47:28 PM »
But what we’ve seen of Tsushima the combat and stealth are both very similar to Sekiro so it’s totally gonna get compared and imo there’s no way Sucker Punch beats From on those two aspects of it.
Pretty sure Ghost of Tsushima is batman combat aka it's going to be lame and boring.

I'd kill for open world game with the budget and graphics of Tsushima with Sekiro combat. Maybe someday.  :'(

Bebpo

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2019, 05:08:24 PM »
I think I see him defending that on Re?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/days-gone-review-thread-see-staff-post.113474/post-20191647

He basically claims their demo was really fun, and that there's no way in a preview to tell how rewarding a game's systems are going to be, how it will be paced, it's length, etc. 

Basically spoon fed the best parts of the game;  but then again.. maybe they should talk about that more in previews, how you really can't tell from a short demo if a game is going to be great.

Yeah, that makes sense. A lot of games start off good and then like 20 hours in you're like this game kinda sucks.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2019, 05:37:22 PM »
Pretty sure Ghost of Tsushima is batman combat aka it's going to be lame and boring.

I'd kill for open world game with the budget and graphics of Tsushima with Sekiro combat. Maybe someday.  :'(
Sekiro combat (like all FROM games) is terrible at handling crowds, or anything that isn't a 1 on 1 human sized(ish) opponent.
Batman combat can be good, if you don't make it overly reliant on the character skating around to connect hits, and parry windows being absurdly large, requiring no directional input to boot.
There are other examples of good crowd handlers, like Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta (Nier Automata being its clone) but Tsushima is obviously going for a more grounded feel.
Either way, if they're going with the Batman system, i have to assume they intend to have big crowds, and all FROM games are terrible at that.
Read a couple bad and a couple good reviews.

The "bad score" reviews jump right into a multi-page paragraph shpeel about the story I wasn't remotely concerned with and the "good score" reviews jump into intently describing the gameplay I do care about.

The bad score reviews tend to not like the gameplay either but they often brush over it in a way that makes me think they just didn't care that much about playing in the "sandbox."  Where-as the good score reviews focus on the variety of ways to dispense enemies and the other sandbox-y elements.

Definitely at least a "wait for a couple of patches" game and grab in the bargain bin I think.
I thought the selling point was supposed to be the massive crowds of zombies.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2019, 07:07:17 PM »
I think I see him defending that on Re?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/days-gone-review-thread-see-staff-post.113474/post-20191647

He basically claims their demo was really fun, and that there's no way in a preview to tell how rewarding a game's systems are going to be, how it will be paced, it's length, etc. 

Basically spoon fed the best parts of the game;  but then again.. maybe they should talk about that more in previews, how you really can't tell from a short demo if a game is going to be great.

he should just admit the first one was a sponsored tweet

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2019, 07:19:51 PM »
Days Gone and Mass Effect Andromeda are the two biggest exceptions in my career.

Oh, he's an idiot.

i.e. Those were the only two times he was called out for overhyping some bullshit game. Usually you can just slap an 8.5 on the latest Ubishit snorefest you wrote a glowing review of and no one bats an eye.
©@©™

Let's Cyber

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2019, 08:03:31 PM »
It's not like he would lose any credibility. He doesnt have any!
Excuse me, you're talking about 2015's The Game Award for Trending Gamer winner. Show some God damned respect.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2019, 08:54:03 PM »
LEAVE GREGGY ALONE  :'(
每天生气

kingv

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2019, 12:17:29 AM »
I'd probably enjoy this more than God Of War.
Most inexplicably praised game i've ever seen.

This and TLOu are both incredibly overrated.

They are very polished, but with pretty mediocre gameplay.

bluemax

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2019, 01:34:39 AM »

Imagine thinking anyone who worked on Bubsy 3D is still at that studio. That game came out 23 years ago, most people don't last 5 years at the same studio, let alone 23.
NO

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2019, 08:01:28 AM »

Imagine thinking anyone who worked on Bubsy 3D is still at that studio. That game came out 23 years ago, most people don't last 5 years at the same studio, let alone 23.

Probably the case since like eight people worked on Bubsy.  But John Garvin, who has been there since Syphon Filter 1, is listed as the director/writer for Days Gone.
:idont
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2019, 08:07:40 AM »
That’s a relief. The story in Bubsy 3D was actually really good.

Svejk

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2019, 08:10:57 AM »

Probably the case since like eight people worked on Bubsy.  But John Garvin, who has been there since Syphon Filter 1, is listed as the director/writer for Days Gone.
:idont
Should've went for a Syphon Filter reboot instead.

BisMarckie

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2019, 08:33:39 AM »
Me:  Days Gone looks incredibly dull and bland.
Games journos: Check out our preview coverage of Days Gone, it‘s awesome! :hyper
Me:

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2019, 09:50:36 AM »
I am really hoping for something unintelligible that lasts 4 hours.

for that one am expecting middling disaster with some great moments, but would take something amazing instead.  :esports

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2019, 10:05:18 AM »
Can't wait for Kojima's mess to come out to see all of the meltdown threads.
It'll get 9s and 10s across the board.
Phantom Pain is a dumpster Fire with a 93 metacritic score, and since then the Kojima's myth has only grown (plus a "stick it to Konami" bonus, plus a "Sony exclusive" bonus).

But hey, maybe it'll be genuinely interesting.
MGSV had some great gameplay underneath all that shit (as evinced by Ground Zeroes).

Svejk

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2019, 10:44:23 AM »
With Kojima finally unleashed after 30 years, my expectations are probably higher than they should be.  Trying to keep them tempered though.   Cyberpunk 2077 and Dragon's Dogma 2 are at the top of my hype list.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2019, 01:32:24 PM »

Yes, that's definitely what I thought when I made my throwaway internet joke. Thank you for your wisdom.
zzzzz

paprikastaude

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2019, 01:46:46 PM »
MGSV was amazing because the gameplay wasn't brought down by Kojima's excrement loving and hamfisted storytelling. Dunno about Death Stranding, but it's the only PS 1st party game I look forward too - unless WiLD still lives. But then again, I never thought 1st party was particularly good or the reason to get any Playstation. I guess I liked the ICO games in concept (and the SotC remake in practice), plus Bloodborne and before that, I don't know, the og God of War and Crash Racing? I'm only in for guaranteed full 3rd party support from Japan, even when Sony flops. No way I'll wait 6-24 months for games like Nioh and Yakuza 0 to maybe release on other platforms too.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 01:56:27 PM by Spieler1 »

Bebpo

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2019, 02:57:04 PM »
MGSV was great, just unfinished. The gameplay is total sex. There's like no story though, so :|

Only Kojima game I thought was legit not good is MGS4 because it focused on story above everything else like enjoyable replayable gameplay. Every other MGS even with their flaws is a good game worth playing. DS will probably be fun.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2019, 03:57:11 PM »
MGSV was great, just unfinished. The gameplay is total sex. There's like no story though, so :|

Only Kojima game I thought was legit not good is MGS4 because it focused on story above everything else like enjoyable replayable gameplay. Every other MGS even with their flaws is a good game worth playing. DS will probably be fun.
Gameplay is fantastic, but most of that was already nailed in Ground Zeroes.
PP added some really cool stuff, but also a lot of bloat mechanics tbh, especially with the Mother Base stuff, and i think the story was just garbage almost top to bottom, which is hardly something one can pin on Konami cutting him short (especially after 5+ year of development).

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2019, 04:27:56 PM »
Lager are you ok?

Post if you are ok.

You've been hit by...
You've been struck by...
A mediocre Sony exclusive.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2019, 07:34:55 AM »
itm

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2019, 07:47:52 AM »
Lager are you ok?

Post if you are ok.

Haha lol

I mean when is the last time we had a two page thread about a xbox  game, let alone exclusive? At least PS4 has games.

PS4 is at 100 million and still getting exclusives. Xbox is stuck at 30 million and resorts to giving all games away for 5 bucks a month and still no one bites

Now let me go back to play Xbox exclusive Cuphead on my Nintendo Switch

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2019, 09:59:21 AM »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2019, 10:14:03 AM »
People claiming it's not just a thing they copied from Sons of Anarchy? Bikers are that fucking corny? :heh
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 11:49:22 AM by Rufus »

bluemax

« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2019, 12:20:47 AM »
I got this game free from work, so far the biker gang aspect of your character is pretty minimal aside from it being his clothes.

In terms of gameplay, this is Horizon Zero Dawn, minus the robots and plus zombies and a lot more cursing. Also you have a base you can go back to and a motorcycle.

The game is mostly competent, although the AI can be weird. Sometimes guys won't see me when I stab their friends to death right next to them, other times guys will run out of their bases, right to my hiding spot and attack me.

If you don't like HZD's open world and the feeling that something around every corner can and probably will kill you, then you probably won't like this game very much.
NO

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2019, 12:32:36 AM »
official ost

◕‿◕