Author Topic: star wars jedi: fallen order  (Read 17704 times)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Re: star wars jedi: fallen order
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2019, 12:53:59 PM »

kingv

« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2019, 01:08:11 PM »
I liked both force unleaded, but 1 was better. 2 was basically just new levels and felt more cheaply done.... IIRC.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2019, 02:43:29 PM »
Just play some more Code Vein instead, Borys.
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2019, 07:58:43 PM »
Anyone playing this?

It reviewed better than I expected
🤴

Nuitangg

« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2019, 08:06:13 PM »
I planned on waiting for a discount but Origin Premier for a month is not a bad deal.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2019, 09:11:48 PM »
Swear to god I don't think a clip of a popular streamer streaming a game has ever not made me want to commit genocide.

It's one of the things I dislike intensely about current "gamer culture."

Note: I'm not counting gamergate in that category. #GG is categorized under "troll," "douche," "disingenuous & lazy," or "rrrreeeeeeee" depending on source.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2019, 09:25:23 PM »
why does the main guy have to be such a giant dork though.
canon-accuracy

You beat me to it.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2019, 10:45:35 PM »
Would this be good to flex my new pc or does it not look so much better than the console version?
serge

kingv

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2019, 11:29:47 PM »
I liked both force unleaded, but 1 was better. 2 was basically just new levels and felt more cheaply done.... IIRC.

I'm pretty sure 2 was literally not even half as long as 1. It was basically an expansion pack.

Wasn’t one canon at the time, for that version of how EU stuff worked in Canon?

And then tfu2 like fucked it all up somehow?

Coffee Dog

« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2019, 04:05:39 AM »
I grabbed a month of origin premiere. Overall it is exactly what it seems like; a knock off of dark souls with very nice graphics and very good music. Knocked out a couple planets, mostly just hope you start fighting more troopers than I already am. They have the best AI/squad makeups. Fighting animals just blows, they dont do anything interesting, alien or unique, they just lunge at you with jank hitboxes.

Also the amount of pointless climbing is still just, so dumb. I need to get to the top of this cliff? Oh no, I cant just find a way to restart an old elevator or something, this mountain has been laced with garbage, ropes and debris specifically to ascend with.  :lol

Best detail: the different saber crystals have different ignition noises. Green sounds best.

TVC15

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2019, 08:52:03 AM »
How Soulsy is it in regards to difficulty? Am I going to be dying and retrying every 5 minutes?
serge

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2019, 09:17:23 AM »
How Soulsy is it in regards to difficulty? Am I going to be dying and retrying every 5 minutes?
It's a mainstream game with difficulty settings, so i seriously doubt it.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2019, 12:20:30 PM »
Welp got out and got it for the Xbox One X.

Pretty great so far.

I am a Jedi Master brehs

« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 04:50:44 PM by Nintex »
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2019, 06:16:25 PM »

It's pretty forgiving. You cant dynasty warriors it but the parry windows are long at the default difficulty and you've usually got plenty of dodge roll time.

Minimal amount of focus required in a game? DARK SOULS!  :brain

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2019, 07:17:50 PM »
Dark Souls vibes can be found in the combat system and some enemy placement. (for example, goat like enemies throwing you from a mountain (or throwing Storm Troopers off a mountain lol)).

This game mostly reminds me of the new Tomb Raider games.
Especially with all the climbing, finding secret caches/artifacts and the occasional playable cinematic action scene.
Some Metroid Prime in there too, mostly the map and opening up areas with new abilities and shortcuts.

Stellar game so far compared to most of EA's library this past .... decade. I'm playing on the middle difficulty which certainly has a nice challenge to it.
You die more than in most AAA+ games. I appreciate the effort of Respawn in not making it an average AAA action game.
🤴

Coffee Dog

« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2019, 05:24:24 AM »
Combat definitely showing wear and tear 3-4 levels in the game. The overly flourishy style of the protagonist grates when it results in every enemy being able to attack faster than your basic saber strike. The dodge roll is spotty, with it unreliable on some tracking moves (animals mostly). It really feels like shit when large enemies/golems take 10-12 hits to die while not reacting to your attacks. Everything big blows to fight. Your force powers fucking blowww on anything that's above a stormtrooper. While death is frequent, it doesn't feel meaningful, random shitter jabs will clock you for like 75% of your health on hard, which in a not particularly precise combat system (that is ripped off from a game where you fight far fewer opponents) will lead to moments where you get opened up and die in a second because some dog snapped at you as you unleashed your opening pirrouette and now you have to make a wallrun of shame back to where you died, as every level uses the same few elements (wall running, slowing platforms with force, climbing, walking across beams, swinging from rope)

Not all bad though. Troopers are still great. Luckily there is a spider that shoots goop and webs you, so there is at least one animal that's fun to fight. Puzzles are fine. Jumping is way, way too repetetive to illicit any sort of emotional reaction or decision making, it's just numb, especially if you die in an area.

I paid fifteen bucks for this and think its worth that price. I wouldn't call it especially good at really anything. It's a star wars adventure and that's it. If it continues with no improvements i'll probably end up liking force unleashed more, because both these games are jank as fuck and at least that one had a crazy concept and you hunted jedi.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2019, 01:26:42 PM »
I pretty much agree with Jim here, game is solid and fun but not really anything special; it probably feels more like it just because it's an EA joint and the shock of them not EA'ing all over it is kinda shocking. The combat is ok, the platforming stuff is mostly annoying.

yar

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2019, 01:46:00 PM »
Now that I've played a dungeon it reminds me even more of the new Tomb Raider games.
I really liked those so I really like this game as well. I generally enjoy platforming in games like Assassins Creed and Tomb Raider too so this game ticks off the right boxes for me.

It might be a placebo effect but it feels like Cal's movement and reaction time speeds up every time he restores his 'connection to the force' with a new skill.
🤴

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2019, 05:20:52 PM »
It's very much a tomb raider/uncharted with some sekiro light moments. I kind of like it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2019, 11:21:37 PM »
You guys are really making me want to play this.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2019, 10:34:16 AM »

It's not a fantastic game by any means, but it is mostly good fun, with a bit too much extremely boring platforming, and a bit buggy at times (and apparently performing really bad on some consoles).

Get it for a month through EA's game pass imo. I doubt many will be going back to it in a year.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2019, 08:36:00 AM »
Game mechanics are real fun.  Solid 7.5-8 so far
püp

kingv

« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2019, 08:59:49 AM »
Played an hour last night, basically the tutorial mission. It really nails the Star Wars feel. The
Music and the situations feel very Star Wars.

Too bad all the humans live in the uncanny valley though, but everything else seems solid.

El Babua

« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2019, 11:17:28 AM »
Game's fun, but all the mechanics feel so floaty, especially compared to the games Respawn stole them from.

Also stutters quite a bit on PC. Otherwise, getting around 85-110 FPS during normal gameplay on a combo of High and Epic settings at 1440P

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2019, 12:03:29 PM »
eh its ok
What

Coffee Dog

« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2019, 01:03:50 PM »
This game's combat has really grated on me towards the end. The enemies just resist your already shit force powers, and many of your moves are too unsafe to use aggressively. dark Souls but janky and buggy and slow is not this game's strong suit, and i just want to go to a big imperial base to end the game already, because it's not getting any deeper or more interesting.

Also, bosses are  :snore
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 02:03:19 PM by Coffee Dog »

Coffee Dog

« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2019, 02:04:33 PM »
Seems like a good 3 day Redbox?

Yeah. It's overall still fine enough. I'm starting to get tired of it but its very clearly wrapping up soon.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2019, 06:01:45 PM »
There seems to be an order to this game (pun intended) I went to Dathromir(??) before Kashyyyk and got absolutely wrecked.  :doge
Then noped out, went to Kashyyyk and made progress pretty quickly.  8)
🤴

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2019, 07:07:00 PM »
There seems to be an order to this game (pun intended) I went to Dathromir(??) before Kashyyyk and got absolutely wrecked.  :doge

I’d go back to Dathomir before going to Kashyyyk for a second time. Should be a lot more manageable. There’s a seemingly optional upgrade there you don’t want to miss :-*

Anyways, this is a pretty good kideo game. Level and puzzle design is pretty cool. Combat is fun, but janky unfortunately. Too much animation priority, and enemies that can’t be parried, or can be, but fucking counter immediately after so it’s not even worth it. You can learn the tells pretty quick though, so it’s not really that big of a deal.

Overall, I’m pleasantly surprised. Though not done yet, so we'll see how things shakeout.
Margs

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2019, 09:45:50 PM »

It's not a fantastic game by any means, but it is mostly good fun, with a bit too much extremely boring platforming, and a bit buggy at times (and apparently performing really bad on some consoles).

Get it for a month through EA's game pass imo. I doubt many will be going back to it in a year.

Friend from work sent me a code for Deluxe Edition on XB1.

Now I'm gonna buy an Xbone.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2019, 09:51:32 PM »
You can cop an S for $200 on Black Friday or an X for I think $400 (or maybe $350 some places).
Hi

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2019, 11:15:48 PM »
You can cop an S for $200 on Black Friday or an X for I think $400 (or maybe $350 some places).

Thanks.
I'm in Japan, where the console is incredibly unpopular, so I'm probably going to pick one up for even less than that!

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2019, 05:43:03 AM »
Dathomir was one of the endgame areas in Star Wars Galaxies too, so it makes sense. ;)

kingv

« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2019, 09:20:24 AM »

Thanks.
I'm in Japan, where the console is incredibly unpopular, so I'm probably going to pick one up for even less than that!

It will feel good to look at the sales tracking and go “yep, that’s me, I’m one of those 25 Xboxes”

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2019, 09:35:23 AM »
©@©™

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2019, 11:00:04 AM »
well making a boss do some bug animation into a wall, is 100% dark souls.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2019, 12:50:47 PM »
I stopped playing probably an hour before the end of the game. The fights were only getting less fun and I'm sick of climbing shit. I'll see if I feel like getting to the credits before my origin subscription comes up. Overall I have a higher opinion of Force Unleashed because at least it wasn't canon and involved Vader and Palpatine rather than a couple generics that I have no emotions for. And that game had that silly shit where all the Troopers had AI to try and grab on to shit while you picked them up.  :lol

kingv

« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2019, 01:25:09 PM »
Cere looks like she has Graves Disease. Like... wtf?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2019, 10:39:36 AM »
Got up to some crashed star destroyer thing.
This is definitely has Metroid vibes  :rejoice

These past 2/3 hours of gameplay since I landed on Kashyyyk and returned to Zeffo have been crazy good.

Also getting the hang of combat and simply murdering storm troopers left and right.  8)
🤴

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2019, 11:13:18 AM »
sounding up my alley

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2019, 09:23:27 PM »
Everyone I've shown this game to is impressed with:
- How good it looks
- How it is not a linear action game
- How it doesn't feel like an EA micro transaction GaaS

It's kinda weird that the AAA+ Star Wars game is the sleeper hit of the year but next to Control is kinda is  :doge
🤴

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2019, 12:26:02 AM »
Finished it last night.

Pretty fun game overall.

Good level design and puzzles, and good enemy variety.

Although conceptually good, combat can be disgustingly janky and often times frustrating. Please poach a couple of designers from From for a possible sequel.

Story ends like a wet fart, but given the timeline, there wasn’t much they could do about it I’m guessing.

Would buy a sequel with more polish.
Margs

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2019, 03:57:00 AM »
I stopped playing probably an hour before the end of the game. The fights were only getting less fun and I'm sick of climbing shit. I'll see if I feel like getting to the credits before my origin subscription comes up. Overall I have a higher opinion of Force Unleashed because at least it wasn't canon and involved Vader and Palpatine rather than a couple generics that I have no emotions for. And that game had that silly shit where all the Troopers had AI to try and grab on to shit while you picked them up.  :lol

At the time of its release, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed was counted as canon. The game stuff is probably part of what's considered LEGENDS canon, after Disney took over the property.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #105 on: November 27, 2019, 02:44:57 PM »
Game doing well

Took a break probably half way-ish through to cat ass the latest D3 season, but I'll be back to finish it off soon
yar

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #106 on: November 28, 2019, 06:06:02 PM »
The second time on Kashyyyk  :o

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I now have a double light saber, which is really cool. But the Ninth Sister is kicking my ass. Nearly got her on my last try and will certainly slay her soon.
If anything this game convinced me there's still some life in the 'ol Star Wars yet.
[close]
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2019, 05:21:02 AM »
Started this.
The Star Wars vibes are good, but tbh after Control, this feels incredibly janky (and somewhat boring) to actually play.
Titanfall2's campaign was a masterpiece though, so i have some faith.

Westerners can't into melee combat though, this reinforces my prejudice.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2019, 06:41:57 AM »
Hi

TVC15

« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2019, 07:25:52 AM »
That looks a lot jankier than I was expecting based on the review scores. I know it’s a dunkey video and all, but even the non-joke-parts looked unpolished given the obvious huge budget.
serge

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2019, 07:35:25 AM »
That looks a lot jankier than I was expecting based on the review scores. I know it’s a dunkey video and all, but even the non-joke-parts looked unpolished given the obvious huge budget.
I only played a couple of hours, but it does feel very janky

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2019, 08:55:44 AM »

Its jank city
What

paprikastaude

« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2019, 10:00:07 AM »
:kobeyuck Was gonna wait for it to hit 20 bucks or lower anyway, but now might as well wait for the GotY edition to hit that price.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2019, 11:43:42 AM »
Went back to a planet to explore a crash site. This is the most Metroid thing we'll see this console generation  :'(
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2019, 07:59:55 AM »
https://twitter.com/Nohryl/status/1200849678876790784

Star Wars: Dark Raider Prime Adventure 64  8)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 08:30:26 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2019, 01:44:01 PM »
This is the most Metroid thing we'll see this console generation  :'(

I guess you never played a souls game which this game clearly takes inspiration from, or the countless metroidvanias out of the indie scene.
Souls games are cool but have nothing to do with space and planet exploration. Same with Control that also has some Metroid elements.
99.99% of indie Metroidvania's are 2D. 3D holo maps are also quite rare.

I can't think of any game that comes closer to Metroid Prime this generation.

Even the Zeffo / Chozo with their spheres are oddly the same  :doge
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2019, 02:28:22 PM »
exploring an alien world  :lawd

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #117 on: December 01, 2019, 02:33:20 PM »
Played some Zeffo planet until i unlocked the push power.

This game feels miserable to play  :notlikethis

It's like playing Sekiro with frostbite on your fingers.
Dodges are slow and cover a tiny distance, attacks have a slow start time, and can't even combo shit properly, movement itself is slow to react even if animations don't even blend fluidly together.

Seriously, if this didn't have the Star Wars coat over it, i don't think i'd even give it a second more.
Certainly won't be saved by the story.

So far, only the maps were kind of neat, with a lot of shortcuts, even though the platforming is sort of basic, and so are the "puzzles"... but at least it's pretty.

Other people seem to like it, but i have a hard time believing that if people weren't so desperate for a success story, when it comes to a Star Wars game, this wouldn't have gotten a harsher judgment.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2019, 05:30:46 PM »
Almost no Metroid deals with "space" exploration, MP3 I guess fits but really space in that might as well have been a hub world dividing somewhat linear planets.

And if your only criteria is "exploring a planet" in 3D IE it's sci fi and 3D then that's just moving goal posts. Also if it really needs holo-maps then you unintentionally made Doom 2016 count.

It's just odd to me that you use that as a metric when most 2D and 3D games have overt metroidvania elements nowadays when they aren't straight up open world.
Those were just examples of Metroid Prime-y elements in Fallen Order.
There's also the elevator shortcuts, fighting the flora and fauna.
There's even war wasps and it includes scanning.

There's just two things missing: morph ball puzzles and a first person perspective with a gun other than that pretty much all Metroid Prime game elements are in there.
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2019, 09:34:47 AM »