Author Topic: Vegan Food Thread - Meat.... More like yeet, imo.  (Read 14534 times)

Eschaton

Vegan Food Thread - Meat.... More like yeet, imo.
« on: June 28, 2019, 12:54:20 PM »
Following up on my promises.

Why a vegan food thread, you might ask? I could reference arguments about the environment, personal health, public health, ethics, whatever.  Let's be honest. You clicked cuz u want to see me eat and maybe cook weird shit.

Let's start with this:

https://twitter.com/BeyondMeat/status/1141846985898676224

So lets get to the subject at hand. Del taco released a bunch of products with beyond beef crumbles in them. This is pretty cool to me, as i havent had taco bell/del taco "spicy hose beef" in like almost 3, 4 years now? I got the Epic Cali burrito (the one with fries in it), no sour cream. Not bad yo. It's basically 1:1 with your standard fast food mexican beef but less crumbly and more spicy/saucy, almost like soyrizo. I wish there was a vegan sour cream equivalent i could have added, and i could have just whipped up some crema at home but fuck it. will definitely order again, and I think it's better than the tacos they released.

7.5/10

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Vegan Food Thread - Meat.... More like yeet, imo.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 12:56:58 PM »
I had a beyond beef burrito from Freebirds. It was alright, if just a tad on the dry side. If they can get the price down, I'm all for it.
dog

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 01:41:35 PM »
imo the Epic Cali is the superior of the 2 Beyond Meat burritos at Del Taco. The X Layer one was very dull, but then again that's also the Del Taco experience.

I want to try the tacos next but 300 calories a fast food taco is a pretty tall ask for me.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 01:43:04 PM »
lol just sub beef for beans at taco bell now youre vegan
dog

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 01:43:22 PM »
Also, excluding our Quorn-ball sisters, brothers, and gender nonconforming consumers with a vegan meat alternative line in the sand. :whoo

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quorn is pretty gross. English food. :donot
[close]

Kara

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 01:59:43 PM »
:dead no way

Didn't really pay attention to the fact that Lucifer isn't vegan. (Unusually eat their spicy sausage at breakfast.) :leon

Gardein make spicy sausage patties you Canucks. :beli

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 02:05:53 PM »
I find the "meat ersatz" fashion really weird.

There's plenty of delicious stuff to cook without having to go the "it's like meat but it's not meat" route. It's just bizarre.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 02:13:59 PM »
I eat vegan and vegetarian quite often but a lot of the vegan meats are very processed. Now that the wife is preggers she doesnt want to eat them at all it seems so were just eating organic meat and veggie dishes.

There's plenty of delicious stuff to cook without having to go the "it's like meat but it's not meat" route. It's just bizarre.

Why care bro?

Real talk: meat ersatz is so you can cook the same foods just vegan, not many people have times to find a gazillion new recipes and usually you just eat a few staples anyway in a week.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 02:14:47 PM »
Seitan is really nice, agree esch.

Then again this week I had a 200 gram organic steak for breakfast  :doge

Raist

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 02:21:33 PM »
I eat vegan and vegetarian quite often but a lot of the vegan meats are very processed. Now that the wife is preggers she doesnt want to eat them at all it seems so were just eating organic meat and veggie dishes.

Why care bro?

Real talk: meat ersatz is so you can cook the same foods just vegan, not many people have times to find a gazillion new recipes and usually you just eat a few staples anyway in a week.

I don't "care", I'm just expressing my opinion :yeshrug

I always get the feeling that's it's kind of a "we failed to get people to eat healthier, let's see if if they'll bite for a fake burger".

I don't think it really solves the issue, and a lot of that stuff is also not exactly healthier, or better for the environment.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 02:39:19 PM »
Looks yum, but shrooms give me the shits  :lol

Why care bro?

I don't "care", I'm just expressing my opinion :yeshrug

I always get the feeling that's it's kind of a "we failed to get people to eat healthier, let's see if if they'll bite for a fake burger".

I don't think it really solves the issue, and a lot of that stuff is also not exactly healthier, or better for the environment.

Yeah the overly procrssed foods are not good for health but def better for the enviroment.

Im focusing on eating less meat myself but have it of the highest quality.

Once the baby is born well prob eat more vegan/vegetarian again for environmental reasons.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 02:50:19 PM »
Pretend meat is dumb, vegetarian diet is smart.

Raist

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 02:52:55 PM »
I wouldn't put Tofu in the same category btw. It's supposed to be a "replacement" but it's completely different from any kind of meat.

Grilled Tofu is :lawd

Fifstar

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 03:09:11 PM »
Processed food/ersatz meat isn't great but if you add it two or three times a week to an otherwise natural food diet it won't do any harm. Plus they often help with protein wich can otherwiese be lacking on a vegan diet.

Other than that, a lot of quick dishes are enhanced greatly by meat, so ersatz meat at least helps to add some savouryness. Yeah, you can cook without them but if you have 15 minutes to throw some quick dinner together for your family it gets tougher to make intersting food without meat or something meat like.
Gulp

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 03:48:15 PM »
I grew up a vegetarian and was one until about 30ish, so I'm in the weird position of actually LIKING shit like black bean burgers because that's what I have nostalgia for, not Beyond's fake beef. I still haven't tried it, even! I will eventually, even though now I eat meat pretty regularly, but only pork, chicken, and turkey- whenever I've tried to eat red meat it fucks my stomach up for a couple days. :(

Having said all that, the only people who are just plain crazy and wrong are vegans, fuck y'all, cheese too good to give up
yar

Himu

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2019, 04:43:04 PM »

I'm mostly vegan. I partake now and then so I'm not strict about it.

I go with Buddha rules: if someone offers me something they made with meat with their own hard work and love I won't say no.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2019, 04:46:08 PM »
Cheese and diary are my shameful needs. I currently eat chicken still, too, but fuck chickens, little inbred fail dinos

Himu

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2019, 04:47:02 PM »
There was a study that showed that cheese is more addictive than most drugs.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2019, 04:57:04 PM »
I've been drinking butter coffee every day for five days straight, come at me bros

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2019, 05:04:53 PM »
I don't mind eating Vegan food. But preparing it/staying on a strict diet of it must be a gigantic pain in the ass. Like, Vegan cheese is trash. I can't imagine dropping pizza entirely because of it.

Himu

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2019, 05:08:30 PM »
In general I've completely changed my eating habits.

I did a lot of research about how people around the world eat and their eating habits in contrast to America. I've decided to completely go against what's common American food sense and I've been greatly benefiting.

One example is proportion size. The size of the American food plate has increased from 9 inches in the 1950's to 12-13 inches to today. That's an insane increase it's partly why we eat so much food. Researching it, I've found that apparently European countries still eat on 9 inch plates, so I threw away my old plates and got new 8.5 inch plates. The amount of food you can fit on these plates are vastly different.

The entire way Americans consume food is fucked up and has resulted in mass social failure as corporations jockey to convince people that bigger = better.

With most of my meals being veggies, I've started to include rice in almost every meal. I make a curry rice and one serving is 100-200 calories depending on what I put in it.

Great thing about the rice is its versatility. It's great filler and helps build necessary calories when you're eating a vegetable heavy meal. So I can do the above but also this.

Curry has become my favorite spice basically.

I've gone full on :expert and mimicking Japan since they have the smallest size index in a developed nation on top of having the longest life expectancy.

I've also learned about the Japanese motto of eating till you're 80% full.

With all of this combined I eat around 1500-1600 calories a day on target with minimal calorie counting.

It's been life changing and I honestly among the healthiest I've ever been.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2019, 05:09:35 PM »
Daddy P does not approve of this thread

Himu

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2019, 05:14:28 PM »
Basically, even if you don't want to go vegan I highly suggest the following:

- Dedicate at least one day a week to eating no meat

- Throwing away your plates and buying 8.5 inch plates from Amazon

- eating till 80% full
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2019, 05:33:22 PM »
Not vegan but when I do go to fast food and get a burger these days I just get the regular hamburger.

Like, the one that comes in a kids meal. It's fine and it's a measly 250 cals. I limit it to maybe one a month. Sometimes I just want a burger. I don't see the problem in partaking now and then so I don't deny myself, but when I do go that road I try to do it in a manageable way as possible.

Same for when I eat pizza. I'll leave it to just one slice.

Those small but large changes have paid massive dividends.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2019, 05:33:50 PM »
@Cyndi read the Blue Zones Book. Changed my life :lawd

What's in it?

And congrats on reversing your diabetes.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2019, 05:54:39 PM »
“Eat until 80% full” is essentially “eat till you’re satisfied but not till you’re bursting.” There’s full, and then there’s 110% full.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2019, 06:14:24 PM »
Let's be honest. You clicked cuz u want to see me eat and maybe cook weird shit.

While nude, baby. While nude. You gotta get in on that Hoff market. ;)

More seriously: Why did you decide to go Vegan, if you don't mind my asking.

Himu

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2019, 06:18:49 PM »
The Blue Zones book started out as a project the author worked with NatGeo to study the world's most longest lived communities and he now spends his time trying to help communities reverse engineer those cultural and living conditions, it's a cool thing and i wish more poeople knew about it. I know we are pretty meh on anything self help in this forum, so maybe it's better to think of it as a cultural project, but it's a little bit of both. Obviously downshifting and a lot of this is harder to do based on your economic conditions, but implementing a lot of these changes in little ways really has improved my QoL.

the author is Dan Buettner

(Image removed from quote.)

Sounds good!

u don't actually have to do that, but there's a cultural tradition in okinawa called hara hachi bu that he ran into when he was doing these surveys, that may be good if u want to lose some weight. americans typically eat super fast, causing us to overeat at times which can be pretty bad combined with a calorie dense diet thats mostly meat, refined grains, oil, and sweeteners.

ed: I actually find his book and work to be intertwined in that the point is that people around the world with good health outcomes aren't actively engaging in self help type obsessively like most americans are (one of the communities is in america!). It's that the communities themselves are set up to provide those outcomes, that we need to engineer a culture of emotional support, good labor conditions, healthy eating, etc.

Well, I meant only that it’s hard to know if you’re full if you eat super fast. So not only do I eat more slowly I also just stop eating a while to check if I should take another bite. Through trial and error I’ve learned that just one more bite is enough to put you over 90% full and feel bursting.

It takes around 20 minutes I think for the stomach to send a signal if it’s full.

And in the end it completely changes your relationship with food. Americans eat super fast as you’ve said but we also aren’t introspective about our food and question if we are really full.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 06:24:55 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2019, 06:23:44 PM »
More seriously: Why did you decide to go Vegan, if you don't mind my asking.

Health.

My dad has congested heart failure.

Everything I’ve posted here is my attempt to not go down the same tunnel considering I spent most of my adult life overweight.

I don’t go full vegan because countries like Japan and European countries still have access to meat and they don’t have one fraction of America’s health problems. It seems a matter of moderation, portion sizes, and just conscious eating. Japan is the healthiest developed country and they still have McDonald’s and shit. They love fried foods like tempura. So I questioned,”wtf are they doing over there?” and researched. Combined with me picking up Jiu jitsu and I just came more health conscious.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2019, 06:27:55 PM »
Another factor is climate change for me.

People can mention “they’re making soy bean farms and destroying rainforest” all they want but most of the soy produced is fed to animals.

My reason is mostly health more than moral but morals do factor into it sometimes.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2019, 06:29:22 PM »
Oh, right, you're Indian IIRC. How do you make Lassi Vegan if that's even possible. I dunno if I could give that up out of Indian food/treats. :doge

agrajag

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2019, 06:29:52 PM »
literal soyboys ITT

Kara

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2019, 06:30:37 PM »
You look good today, Esch, that's for sure. :drool

Himu

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2019, 06:35:01 PM »
I might give Earthlings a watch Esch. It was that impactful huh? I admit the ethical reasons are the last hurdle for me going full vegan. I might follow your example.
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2019, 06:39:30 PM »
Y'all got these Road to Damascus conversion stories and mine was, "My weight loss has plateaued even though I'm training pretty hard, I think I'll try cutting meat and see what happens." I'm not even training anymore. :mjcry

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2019, 09:08:15 PM »
I've never seen an ox eating meat, or anything else for that matter  :thinking

Himu

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2019, 09:18:52 PM »
How do you sautee something like onions without oil exactly?
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2019, 09:21:42 PM »
why would you not want to eat any oil?  :holeup I specifically supplement my diet with a tablespoon if MCT oil every day. You know what, forget I asked, I don't want to go down this rabbit hole.

agrajag

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2019, 09:28:23 PM »
I'm in ketosis bruh

meaning I am consuming more animal than usual

sry
[close]

agrajag

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2019, 09:30:45 PM »

You can sautee with water just fine.

I specifically supplement my diet with a tablespoon if MCT oil every day.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320251.php

Some supporters of MCT oil also claim it can improve the ability to think

You should bump that to 3-4 tablespoons.

in that case, an entire bottle won't help your condition, retardo

Sautéing or sauteing is a method of cooking that uses a relatively small amount of oil or fat in a shallow pan over relatively high heat

:derp

agrajag

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2019, 09:34:11 PM »
if your oven has a broil function, which I guess most modern home ovens do, you can just broil stuff to achieve caramelization

edit: I always consult the American Heart Association for their culinary expertise

:dead

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2019, 09:40:57 PM »
Dating a Mexican chick means I can never go vegan but I enjoy dabbling in this shit.

"I support Esch in anything he does, anything he loves"
 :preach

Himu

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2019, 09:46:42 PM »
Water just fine for caramelized onions? I have to try this.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2019, 09:48:20 PM »

You could use a really good non-stick pan, and forget the water. Water will definitely inhibit caramelization.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2019, 09:51:33 PM »
Can't stand the smell of vinegar. I clean with it too and it's awful, been this way since I was a kid.

Kara

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2019, 10:14:38 PM »
if your oven has a broil function, which I guess most modern home ovens do, you can just broil stuff to achieve caramelization

I tend to broil when I cook, yeah.

thisismyusername

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2019, 10:17:51 PM »
Dating a Mexican chick means I can never go vegan but I enjoy dabbling in this shit.

"I support Esch in anything he does, anything he loves"
 :preach

I think there is veganized Mexican. But I can't say.

Esch: I did not know of that Trader Joe's drink. I'll have to stop by sometime this week when I'm in town and actually pick up one of those to see how it compares. I wouldn't even know where to begin with making my own yogurt (hurr hurr sexual joke here hurr hurr ) to "veganize" that.

agrajag

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2019, 10:29:29 PM »
those Californians and their vegan taco trucks amirite

Himu

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2019, 10:37:32 PM »

I strongly suggest you do it with some type of vinegar in a nonstick instead it'll taste better.

Tangy onions :like

:obama

I put in balsamic vinegar when I saute anyways. Thanks!
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2019, 12:38:12 AM »
Ive been going down on the "eco" road for a long time now, maybe a decade. But food is now only a part of it.

Started off small with always buying free range eggs.

Now I think 80%/90% of the groceries we buy are organic.
We were up to like 3-4 meat free days before the pregnancy too.

Also focus on all other products being "eco", like my wife has eco make up, I try to buy eco/fair trade clothes, our car is a hybrid and the next will be electric. All the chemicals we use like detergents are without parfumes and have eco labels. We always try to go for the "green" solution even if it costs more. Also important: just buy less shit.
[close]

That blue zone book looks cool but religion will never be a part of my life.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2019, 12:48:00 AM »
Can't stand the smell of vinegar. I clean with it too and it's awful, been this way since I was a kid.

But fish and chips with vinegar mate

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2019, 12:52:29 AM »
You can just ignore the religion part, it's simply taking into account that people in religious communities tend to have better support systems, a sense of community, raison detre etc etc. You can get those things elsewhere.

I know I will sound stupid but I think football is my religion.

Kara

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2019, 12:53:33 AM »
Arsenal does about as much as god does.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2019, 01:00:23 AM »
They are just testing my faith

Raist

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2019, 03:17:43 PM »

What's wrong with olive oil.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2019, 04:15:32 PM »
what's wrong with butter and mct  ???

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2019, 04:41:45 PM »
That Earthlings documentary is basically like a Traces of Death video with about the same ammount of nuance.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2019, 05:16:24 PM »
Everyone knows what the meat, dairy, fashion industries are like.

And what percentage of those industries are represented by this documentary of handpicked, stitched together, 90 minutes of "Worst of" videos?

I'm all for better treatment of animals, but putting together 90 minutes of Bestgore videos and calling it a day isn't my idea of a documentary.

Kara

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2019, 06:07:08 PM »
If there's one thing the meat, dairy, and fashion industries lack it's representation!