Author Topic: NEW MATRIX SEQUEL FROM LANA WACHOWSKI STARRING KEANU AND CARRIE-ANN  (Read 38876 times)

Bebpo

Re: NEW MATRIX SEQUEL FROM LANA WACHOWSKI STARRING KEANU AND CARRIE-ANN
« Reply #480 on: December 22, 2021, 11:35:27 PM »
Also, the world kinda jokes and accepts that Keanu Reeves can't act but he's a good likeable dude so that's ok...

...but this has to be the worst acting he's done, ever. Like did they film every scene on the first take and move on?

Bebpo

« Reply #481 on: December 23, 2021, 12:00:40 AM »
Also the action was kind of boringly shot.

It's weird because I usually really like the Watchowski's as directors. I even non-ironically liked Jupiter Ascending and don't get the hate. Speed Racer was great and their portions of Cloud Atlas were good.

This was missing a lot of the fun, budget and good direction of those.

Bebpo

« Reply #482 on: December 23, 2021, 12:03:17 AM »
The most original creative thing the film did was the marble ball synthoids. Wish it did more with them.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #483 on: December 23, 2021, 12:03:48 AM »
Also the action was kind of boringly shot.

It's weird because I usually really like the Watchowski's as directors. I even non-ironically liked Jupiter Ascending and don't get the hate. Speed Racer was great and their portions of Cloud Atlas were good.

This was missing a lot of the fun, budget and good direction of those.

Maybe this didn't feel the same because it was just one of them behind the movie instead of both siblings?  Can't say I'm in much of a hurry to watch this.  I couldn't get very far when trying to rewatch the two sequels.
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #484 on: December 23, 2021, 12:19:54 AM »
It was okay. It could have been better if it did anything with the meta premise, but really, it didn't have anything to say with it.

Also, that's not how videogames work @ movie makers  :doge

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #485 on: December 23, 2021, 02:25:34 AM »
It kinda feels like this:

"OK, FINE, I'll do it. And make it trash so that you guys stop asking me about the fucking Matrix."

Then again, everything they made after the OG movie was hot garbage, so.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #486 on: December 23, 2021, 12:22:28 PM »
No wonder why lily bowed out of this attempted do over.

it was aight.

Action was trash. except the bullet time with da god.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 01:07:21 PM by Cauliflower Of Love »

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #487 on: December 24, 2021, 04:48:39 PM »
This movie was poopy.
Margs

NekoFever

« Reply #488 on: December 24, 2021, 05:52:39 PM »
I watched the first movie yesterday and the whole final act is  :rejoice level action.

For this one I think they mixed up the final act with a zombie movie from 2010.

Thought it was ok on the whole, though. 3/5

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #489 on: December 26, 2021, 09:52:38 PM »
Couldn't finish it. Terrible.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

Hock

« Reply #491 on: December 30, 2021, 01:45:42 AM »
Felt like a bit of a missed opportunity, and never really delivered on the potential of the first act. Not that I disliked the rest of it, but when you start out with something that could be really special then settle on what everyone kind of expected (and didn't really ask for?), it by default feels like a step down. The funniest defense I've seen is to now act like the action wasn't a huge part of the Matrix series, only because it sucks in the latest one. Nobody would be pushing this line if that wasn't the case.

Tasty

« Reply #492 on: January 02, 2022, 11:50:58 AM »
I enjoyed this movie quite a bit, mostly the IO parts with Niobe, but it's not very rewatchable and the action is an unfortunate let-down.

Call me crazy but I enjoyed Keanu's acting in this, as well as the score (though not as good as Don Davis' work).

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #493 on: January 02, 2022, 11:59:55 AM »
mostly the IO parts

:doge

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #494 on: January 02, 2022, 12:07:10 PM »
First half was interesting, second part was a mess.
Action was awfully shot and uncreative all around.

This would've been better as a meta film all the way through, like halfway through they reveal to Neo that Matrix, indeed, never existed, and just keep going as an existential crisis movie about the trilogy, but outside of it.
Keep the Synecdoche New York thing going.

Everything concerning IO and all that shit was just putting me to sleep, but then i also hated anything relating to Zion in 2 and 3.

Tasty

« Reply #495 on: January 02, 2022, 12:09:11 PM »
mostly the IO parts

:doge

I think this thread shows why I'd be so into the mythology building lol. :lol

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #496 on: January 02, 2022, 12:10:57 PM »
you just want orgies in caves

Tasty

« Reply #497 on: January 02, 2022, 12:13:45 PM »

I'll never turn down a rave.

Cauliflower Of Love

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #499 on: January 02, 2022, 05:21:05 PM »
Watched this today.  I enjoyed it more than I thought I would and would rate it as better than Reloaded and Revolutions, but still found this to be too long, too much a retread of the original, and just kind of stupid.  I understand what they were doing, but there was just way, way too much stuff from the original movie being recycled here even beyond the opening and all the various scene inclusions from the other movies that popped up.  I enjoyed the all meta-commentary, but found it really dumb at the same time. 

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, what was the deal with Smith here?  His inclusion felt pointless, like "HEY IT'S ME 'MEMBER ME AND LET'S FIGHT AND OK WE'RE EVENLY MATCHED AND OK I'LL HELP STOP THE ANALYST AND THEN BYE AND STUFF!"
[close]

I enjoyed this movie quite a bit, mostly the IO parts with Niobe, but it's not very rewatchable and the action is an unfortunate let-down.

Call me crazy but I enjoyed Keanu's acting in this, as well as the score (though not as good as Don Davis' work).

There was very little action overall compared to the other films, to the point where I think anyone expecting anything on the level of the previous movies would hate this.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #500 on: January 02, 2022, 05:40:41 PM »
I definitely prefer Reloaded to this. Need to rewatch a few more times to see about Revolutions, honestly a toss-up.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #501 on: January 02, 2022, 10:18:22 PM »
I definitely prefer Reloaded to this. Need to rewatch a few more times to see about Revolutions, honestly a toss-up.

Speaking of, I agree with RLM in that this movie should have been the one called "Reloaded" and not the second one!  :lol
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #502 on: January 02, 2022, 10:20:45 PM »
Resurrections makes more sense to me, they explicitly call out "Resurrection pods" in the film and Sati's parents' work on them.

Occam

« Reply #503 on: January 03, 2022, 12:23:22 PM »
Watched it a couple of days ago. Thought it was ok, probably a 6.5 out of 10. Not as bad as it could have been, but not good either. Some fun meta-humor but basically an unnecessary and forgettable sequel that doesn't make much sense/contradicts what happened before.
- I was surprised at how boring the score was; the awesome soundtrack was a major ingredient of the first movie's success and made the second one more bearable.
- The fights were weak, which is pretty unforgivable.
- The new Agent Smith was bland. This badly needed a digitally de-aged Hugo Weaving. At least Neil Patrick Harris was a good antagonist.

Major plot element that kind of ruins the movie: Apparently they can now leave the matrix at any time, they no longer require a special line (phone) to get out. If they can just unplug before they would die then there is absolutely nothing at stake anymore. Why were they even chasing around inside the simulation?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #504 on: January 03, 2022, 04:50:05 PM »
Major plot element that kind of ruins the movie: Apparently they can now leave the matrix at any time, they no longer require a special line (phone) to get out. If they can just unplug before they would die then there is absolutely nothing at stake anymore. Why were they even chasing around inside the simulation?
It wasn't handled very clearly, but i think they use mirrors this time?

Occam

« Reply #505 on: January 03, 2022, 06:28:49 PM »
I didn't see any mirrors in the air when Trinity was flying around with Neo at the end of the movie.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #506 on: January 03, 2022, 08:39:09 PM »
I'll spoiler for obv. reasons, but
what is the plot point of Trinity needing to be loaded into Bugs' brain? Or connected at the same time? Whatever it is that requires Bugs to be connected while they disconnect Trinity from the Resurrection Pod was utterly opaque to me.
[close]

Rahxephon91

« Reply #507 on: January 03, 2022, 09:05:03 PM »
I did'nt care for this, and I guess my dislike can be summed up as it's just not like the other movies.

The movie seems silly and made by an older person who seems to have lost any edge or passion.

I love the Matrix movies. I find them to be the most interesting genre-pushing action movies out there. Incredibly forward-thinking and rewarding movies out there. Full of thought on storytelling, the human condition, and our relationship with other beings and the world. Daring beyond pretty much other Hollywood blockbusters. And to toot my horn, Ive always liked the sequels, from well before the internet seemed to revaluate them.

But this movie just did not to do it for me. It starts with not having the honestly atmosphere and mood of the originals. The first movie has this cyberpunk neo-noir look in the real world and then it becomes stark. The Matrix world feels off, cold, and that draws you in. Amazing art direction. In the later sequels, the Matrix world and the sets you see give the impression of them being part of this unseenworld, this underworld. I'm talking Club Hell and even the Merv castle. They feel like not ordinary places. Here the MAtrix looks and feels like any other movie I've ever seen. The cinematography and general production design feel weak, giving off no real personality. Hard to feel or care for Neo when he's going to some boring Coffee shop. There's nothing interesting about this Matrix.

But also the entire first half of the movie is cringe. The metaness is lame and forced. Not funny and does not feel like the Matrix. Parts of the original movies were meta, but strangely more subtle and dealing more with how the world exists as a fake entity. Here its hammered on and lame. The entire writing feels idiotic. Embarrassing characters. No one should be saying MILF's in a matrix movie. The Matrix took itself pretty seriously, here it feels like the movie is laughing at anyone who cared about that tone. I'm not sure what it achieves beyond trying to be funny? It sure does not add to the world or feel of the Matrix.

The action is bad. There's nothing to be said and that alone is a failure to me. The original movies are full of memorable and unique action scenes. Hell, Club Hell feels the most uncreative being that it's basically the lobby scene with a gimmick. But Hell I remember that, I won't remember anything in this movie. None of the cool bullet ballet action that is beautiful and arresting to look at. Run of the mill action scenes that add no character. The action scenes in the original do add character to the series. They make it feel otherwordly as instead of just simple punching, you have dudes in FBI suits fighting in ballet kung fu. It makes it feel a bit more myth-making as this world partakes in honestly, fancy fighting. It sucks.

The music sucks. Thats it. Felt generic and lacking the proto-EDM/House music that thrilled in the original and added so much. It can't even capture Don Davis in the moments where the music would sore and feel more heroic.

The story? Well. It was just well lame. I see people claiming this is some unique movie that goes against Hollywood conventions. But it doesn't. Its full of dumb humor and quips. The final act devolves into fighting mass cgi zombies, something that despite Smith's Clones didn't happen. The movie plays it extremely safe and doesn't really do anything daring with the storytelling. Not like in Reloaded where it turns the chosen one narrative on it's head. Or Revolutions where it has a non-conventional ending. Here, the story is simple and plays out just like you'd expect with really nothing to go off of. Nothing to make you question and nothing that surprises you.

The beginning of the movie is nonsense and while a Matrix that is looping could be cool, what's not is this talk about Moodles and a fake Morpheus who mostly feels pointless in the movie. Like the first starts off with so much atmosphere and tone, this starts off idiotic and goofy. Like its cramming you with a bunch of info that goes nowhere. Also Agent Morpheus apparently having a life really takes the grit out of the agents. Also Neo can just make a Matrix within a Matrix? What is this world anymore?

Honestly, I lost interest pretty much after that and then the movie got really cringy.

I liked Buggs as a presence. But her character also lacks...well character. Her motivation is she just saw Neo. I get it the meta-narrative is shes a fan and that's it. Honestly, the only thing this movie seems to have for it is that it's a meta take on sequels. Which doesn't work for me. Yes the sequels have a meta-ness with control and chosen one narrative, but that is actually built into the narrative. Its part of the conflict between the oracle and the architect that the chosen one narrative is obvious, and that for the Oracle it needs to be broken. Here it seems even more messy, surronded by nothing good to help carry the load.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #508 on: January 03, 2022, 09:40:27 PM »
what is the plot point of Trinity needing to be loaded into Bugs' brain? Or connected at the same time? Whatever it is that requires Bugs to be connected while they disconnect Trinity from the Resurrection Pod was utterly opaque to me.
[close]

I have not seen the movie but the red letter media review seemed to present this scenario as Indiana Jones replacing the gold idol with a weight that weighed the same amount
Uncle

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #509 on: January 03, 2022, 10:00:08 PM »

I'll never turn down a rave. (Image removed from quote.)

Honestly, the lack of awesome electronic music further disappointed me about the new Matrix... one of the parts that made the original(s) so iconic for me were those awesome tunes by Fluke, Propellerheads, Juno Reactor, Prodigy, Rob Dougan, etc.
^_^

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #510 on: January 04, 2022, 06:21:00 AM »
[close]
It also lead to one of the few great visual moments of the movie though, a very cool concept i would've liked explored more.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #511 on: January 04, 2022, 06:24:32 AM »
I didn't see any mirrors in the air when Trinity was flying around with Neo at the end of the movie.
That's why i mentioned it not being clear, as i'm assuming they just flew to an exit point (mirror) off screen.
The train scene with the little bathroom mirror, seems to imply that they need a mirror to exit, but perhaps that was just to extract Neo for the first time? Honestly i'd have to rewatch it to see, i don't remember the details.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #512 on: January 07, 2022, 12:51:23 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #514 on: January 13, 2022, 06:10:10 PM »
this is the greatest movie in the history of cinema, anyone who disagrees is a complete moron

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #515 on: January 13, 2022, 07:02:42 PM »
I really enjoyed it.

It wasn't a predictable J.J. Abrams or Trevorrow type sequel. They actually tried to do something different which made it an interesting watch even though not everything was executed as well as it could be.
The weakest parts were the neo-Zion(IO?) bits. That felt a bit phoned in. Then again, those were also the weakest bits out of the original movies (especially the second one) so maybe that was intentional too?

Also not having Hugo Weaving was a bit of a letdown.
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #516 on: January 14, 2022, 02:20:23 PM »
I was surprised by the rlm review, because mike had such similar thoughts as I did when I was watching the first time.

I loved that it was a new matrix, both inside the movie world and the film itself being a new type of matrix movie.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #517 on: January 18, 2022, 03:24:15 AM »
the analyst is like that voice in your head that over analyzes  and also the voice that seems like it's helping you, but ultimately leads to a miserable existence. the voice that tells you to let go and settle, when you know there is much more out there waiting for you. he's your best friend and confidant, but also your worst enemy. telling you to give up on your art and pursue more realistic things like some boring job you hate, but now your bills are paid and life is more stable. not exactly bad advice to take the boring job, but for some that life is worse than none at all. which is why some will choose to end it, or think about it a lot.

I had some more to this and could clean it up some, but eh

much better villain than given credit for
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 03:26:30 PM by team filler »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #518 on: January 18, 2022, 03:29:20 AM »
Is it safe to say that this movie has had about as much impact as a wet blanket Marvel sequel?

Seems like everyone has forgotten about it and there is about zero discussion anywhere.
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #519 on: January 18, 2022, 03:33:15 AM »
Seems like it mostly tanked, which doesn't mean it's a bad film, just means most people didn't like it.

Most Coen Bros. fans don't seem to appreciate A Serious Man, but it's one of their most interesting films, and intelligently explores humans' relationship with capital-G God. Terry Gilliam's Zero Theorem similarly explores dangerous philosophical ground, and is unloved in his oeuvre.

Popular and talked about don't necessarily mean shit.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #520 on: January 25, 2022, 01:28:34 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #522 on: January 25, 2022, 05:08:36 PM »
 ???

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #523 on: January 25, 2022, 08:05:14 PM »
Sir, this is a Matrix.
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #524 on: January 25, 2022, 09:42:50 PM »
 8)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #525 on: January 26, 2022, 03:07:53 PM »
I meant to put that in the memes thread, things like this happen often   :neogaf

BIONIC

« Reply #526 on: January 26, 2022, 03:31:01 PM »
Don’t you ever apologize, King.
Margs

Boredfrom

« Reply #527 on: January 28, 2022, 10:24:57 PM »
I like this movie but is silly as fuck even when is “deep”. Like, my brains says no but the other part of me is grinning.

I really appreciate what Lana was aiming for (a more positive and hopeful take on the matrix universe) but at times it’s feel like The Matrix Saturday morning cartoon (but I would still watch shit the fuck out that). I still really love it.

God bless the Wachowski, they still trying and sometimes they succeed.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 10:31:28 PM by Boredfrom »

Tasty

« Reply #528 on: February 07, 2022, 10:32:32 PM »
Warner Bros. sued for releasing The Matrix Resurrections on HBO Max and in theaters simultaneously

Well that's not good.

I hope Village Roadshow gets every cent they're owed, tbh. Why not.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #529 on: February 07, 2022, 10:59:41 PM »
sign a bad contract?

hope you can get the cancel culture to bail you out

Tasty

« Reply #530 on: February 08, 2022, 08:20:14 AM »
sign a bad contract?

Man the perfect post was right there and you missed it. "Go woke get broke"

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #531 on: February 08, 2022, 08:46:08 AM »
sign a bad contract?

Man the perfect post was right there and you missed it. "Go woke get broke"

I'm sorry I don't like to take people's experiences for a joke, like you.

Tasty

« Reply #532 on: February 08, 2022, 08:50:36 AM »
I'm sorry I don't like to take people's experiences for a joke, like you.

I don't understand this sentence but OK.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #533 on: February 08, 2022, 07:39:10 PM »
I like this movie but is silly as fuck even when is “deep”. Like, my brains says no but the other part of me is grinning.

I really appreciate what Lana was aiming for (a more positive and hopeful take on the matrix universe) but at times it’s feel like The Matrix Saturday morning cartoon (but I would still watch shit the fuck out that). I still really love it.

God bless the Wachowski, they still trying and sometimes they succeed.

combining the allegorical matrix commentary on the trashfire of the modern media landscape and it's obsession with rehashing every old IP under the sun with straight faced goofy ass sci fi fantasy was masterful. it was fun and silly but unafraid to throw punches at it's parent studio, themselves, the creatively moribund production studios churning out content. the matrix movie i didn't know i wanted.
◕‿◕

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #534 on: April 03, 2023, 04:22:46 AM »
the analyst is like that voice in your head that over analyzes  and also the voice that seems like it's helping you, but ultimately leads to a miserable existence. the voice that tells you to let go and settle, when you know there is much more out there waiting for you. he's your best friend and confidant, but also your worst enemy. telling you to give up on your art and pursue more realistic things like some boring job you hate, but now your bills are paid and life is more stable. not exactly bad advice to take the boring job, but for some that life is worse than none at all. which is why some will choose to end it, or think about it a lot.

I had some more to this and could clean it up some, but eh

much better villain than given credit for
:hesright

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #535 on: April 04, 2023, 08:14:15 AM »
So how is the matrix n analogy for being trans?
What

BIONIC

« Reply #536 on: April 04, 2023, 11:49:21 AM »

The robots that enslaved and killed humanity are analogous to Hogwarts Legacy.
Margs

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #537 on: April 04, 2023, 01:21:54 PM »

The robots that enslaved and killed humanity are analogous to Hogwarts Legacy.

No but seriously

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a33521185/the-matrix-trans-allegory-meaning-explained/

I still dont get it tho
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #538 on: April 05, 2023, 06:46:19 AM »
Neo takes the HRT and wakes up as her true self.