Author Topic: Can we have a PC Gamepass thread? The PC Gamepass thread  (Read 7411 times)

Bebpo

Can we have a PC Gamepass thread? The PC Gamepass thread
« on: August 23, 2019, 01:59:11 AM »
I mean Epic Launcher crap gets a thread for its 2-4 games a month of old ass shit, meanwhile PC Game Pass releasing like 4 games a week with some recent stuff. If you're using it, let's talk about what games we've played and whether they're any good.

PC Game pass Details: $5 a month (current deal is 3 months for $5 total). Games added weekly, games stick on the service for one year, so you've got 1 year to try them for 5 mins and see if you want to play them.

Recent additions to the service - Yoku's Island Express, Age of Empire Definitive Edition, Ape Out, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Bard's Tale Trilogy, Wasteland 2 Director's Cut
Coming Soon in the next week or so - Bard's Tale IV Directors Cut, The Blair Witch Project
Coming Soon later this year - Outer Worlds (Oct 25th)

--------------------------

The Messenger - I like this but still in the first half, stages are too easy, but boss fights are good and writing is hilarious, too bad everyone says 2nd half sucks

Nightcall - This is a cool little 2-3 hour run Paris taxi driver narrative sim, would recommend trying a run

Where Water Turns to Wine - This is a way too long at 30+ hours, but ultimately really neat narrative journey across depression era USA (aka 2020, I kidd). 24 writers put together 240+ short stories with great VA and awesome music. Would recommend at least playing for an hour and trying out some stories.

Blazing Chrome - Basically not as good as best Contras, but still pretty darn good Contra clone. Totally worth a play through.

Old Man's Journey - I played like an hour of this last night and it's super beautiful 2d art but otherwise the gameplay seemed really bad. One of those you can tell it was made for iOS devices kinda games. Feels like it'd be better off just watching a playthrough on youtube.

Forza Horizon 4 - I mean if you haven't played it by now, try it? But if you're interested, you've probably played it. Good open world racer.

Snake Pass - Tried this for a few levels but I see why it bombed because it's an entire game about fighting the controls woooohoooo yeah no thnx

Unavowed - Nice little 8 hour-ish PnC adventure game. Good VA and art, good story, fairly streamlined. Would recommend.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
Re: Can we have a PC Gamepass thread? The PC Gamepass thread
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 02:06:33 AM »
Based on what I've seen and heard from Blair Witch previews, its a lot more mechanics heavy than something like Outlast or Layers of Fear. There's a lot more gear to use, and item management. There's a dog character/companion that you can praise or scold, depending on yor relationship, you and dog have different fates.  :doge

Speaking of which, don't sleep on Gears 5, you masterpigs. AAA third person shooters has been a dead genre this gen, Uncharted and Gears 4 being a chunk of that. Gears 5 looks like a massive improvement over 4, which while good, was 2nd weakest Gears (ahead of Judgement).

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/07/22/gears-5-tech-test-graphics-performance/

PC version seems optimized and not fucked.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 02:19:06 AM by mormapope »
OH!

Bebpo

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 02:33:45 AM »
When is Gears 5 out?

The last Gears game I played was...2? Hmmm, maybe I played 3 but everything after the first game is pretty forgettable. Should I give 4 a try? I mean it's free on this thing.
The thing is my memory of Gears 1-3 is that as someone that doesn't like MP much, the MP was a lot of fun but the single player was pretty bullet sponge zzz after the wowness of the first game wore off.

Just installed Kingdom Come Deliverance & Ape Out. Gonna try these this weekend. My SSD is crying at the file size of PC games these days. Fucking 60-100gb for each AAA kinda game and my SSD is like 250gb :(

mormapope

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 03:23:02 AM »
Gears 5 comes out on XBONE/PC with game pass ultimate on Sept. 6th. Two weeks from now.

For Gears campaigns:

2>3>1>4>Judgement.

Gears 2 has an excellent campaign, tons of different combat scenarios, weapon variety, enemy variety, ambitious setpieces. Its great wartime melodrama. Gears 3 has a ton of variety, but it doesn't feel as paced well as 2. Gears 1 is still a good shooter, great design and pacing, but the setpieces are tame.

Gears 4 suffers from its environments. The most drab and samey enviroments and scenarios for all the campaign.
OH!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 04:13:13 AM »
I will I guess use this for Gears 5. But I think Gears 5 has been one of the most poorly advertised AAA games ever. I feel like it's hardly been shown and there's really no excitement for the game. Which is a shame as this series use to be a big deal. I feel like MS dosen't know how to make it's games feel like events anymore. Now they are just starting to feel like movies that just show up on Netflix.

Can't say I'm too excited anyway. The switch to focusing on the female character who was a bit less bland and annoying then the other two leads comes off feeling a bit "me too ish" and like they don't actually know what they are doing. Course correction. Gears 4 was just a very bland game. The new character's had no charisma and felt really market tested. Make them sound quipy like those Marvel movies! felt like the mandate and they did'nt go past that. The story had no real steam until pretty much the end.

I guess there's no much you can do with the gameplay of Gears, but it just felt pretty tired in 4. No real zeal in whatever it was doing. Did'nt help that you fight boring ass robots that miss the feel of Gear's combat. Also they have shitty guns that you'll be using.

I don't know it was just a boring game.

Despite, what I've said it does seem that Gear's 5 has a little more energy behind it. They seem to have found a direction. I think it's a bit stupid that they'd think I'd care about the new characters after 4, but at least it seems with making Kait the main character they have some excitement for thier story. I'll check it out since it will be free.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 05:00:04 AM »
Forza Horizon 3 (the only reason I'd use this) isn't on it, so...  :doge

Gear's 5 is coming to Steam, so I'll probably get that for like $10 in a year. No need to spend $5 a month on that. Same with Halo: PC port-s whenever the fuck those release.

Honestly, if Steam did a pass, the PC market would probably be done.

Fifstar

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 06:14:05 AM »
Have to hand it to MS, the value on this is insane (if you're remotely interested in indie games). My pc is not powerful enough for modern games (still rocking a radeon 6870) but I would still get more than enough value  out of this. Can I set this up with steamlink? Might have to find this thing again...
Gulp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 10:24:33 AM »
SSD in ideal requirements of Gears 5. So it has begun. :rejoice

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 11:02:29 AM »
This service has been way above expectations. Not counting the bigger stuff coming like Gears 5 and Outer Worlds (or any console stuff at all like DMC5), currently have a bunch of games installed I probably wouldn't have checked out till a steam sale or would have missed altogether for one reason or another.

Metro Exodus
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Hollow Knight
We Happy Few
Wasteland 2
Void Bastards

The only real question hanging over is how quick (if) they rotate stuff out, I won't have time to even check much out.  :lol

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 11:43:00 AM »
Through free months and stacking sales and other shenanigans I have Ultimate Game Pass til Sept 2021. Not too many have Xbones but it's great for that console. Only weird thing is that some games are console or pc only even if they are available on both platforms (DMCV for example)

Age of Empires Definitive just hit game pass so I expect AOE2D will do the same at launch. Old games :rejoice

Bebpo

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 11:43:55 AM »
The only real question hanging over is how quick (if) they rotate stuff out, I won't have time to even check much out.  :lol

One year. So the initial stuff that launched with it should be up until E3 2020.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 11:47:27 AM »
Didn't know Blazing Chrome was in gamepass! Sick!

kingv

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 12:54:35 PM »
This service has been way above expectations. Not counting the bigger stuff coming like Gears 5 and Outer Worlds (or any console stuff at all like DMC5), currently have a bunch of games installed I probably wouldn't have checked out till a steam sale or would have missed altogether for one reason or another.

Metro Exodus
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Hollow Knight
We Happy Few
Wasteland 2
Void Bastards

Outer fucking worlds is coming to gamepass?!?!?

mormapope

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 12:55:27 PM »

Metro Exodus
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Hollow Knight
We Happy Few
Wasteland 2
Void Bastards

Rotation times have been pretty genereous. I think most games stay on in 3-4 month spurts, with any Xbox studios games obviously having permanent spots.
OH!

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 12:59:45 PM »
SSD in ideal requirements of Gears 5. So it has begun. :rejoice
this kinda scares me :gloomy

edit: lol hadn't looked at SSD prices in a while, nevermind :doge

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 01:05:50 PM »
The days of spinning rust are numbered. At least in consumer devices.

Let's enjoy the gains before the scope of everything expands so much that it eats them all up.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2019, 01:11:46 PM »

Yep, Oct. 25 according to Bebpo up there.

Bebpo

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2019, 01:16:13 PM »

Metro Exodus
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Hollow Knight
We Happy Few
Wasteland 2
Void Bastards

They're also getting Bloodlines 2 day 1 and some other rpgs like Wasteland 3 and stuff. For PC rpgs it's gonna pay off plenty.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2019, 02:58:48 PM »
Gamepass is great 👍🏻

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2019, 03:38:11 PM »
Gamepass > any other pass
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2019, 03:45:42 PM »
Gamepass > any other pass

What about Leeloo Dallas multipass?
dog

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2019, 08:16:30 AM »
Football Manager 2019 is on it too right? Plus some Paradox stuff but it's the console versions IIRC (Stellaris).
itm

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2019, 02:03:15 AM »
Should I make a different thread for Xbox gamepass? I was thinking of making one haha

kingv

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2019, 02:27:54 AM »
It’s gamepass ultimate baaaaabbbbbeeeeey

Bebpo

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2019, 03:35:40 AM »
Should I make a different thread for Xbox gamepass? I was thinking of making one haha

Sure! The libraries are pretty different.

Merch

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2019, 10:04:03 AM »
The last Gears game I played was...2? Hmmm, maybe I played 3 but everything after the first game is pretty forgettable. Should I give 4 a try? I mean it's free on this thing.

Gears 4 doesn’t work on Nvidia 10x0 series cards, or something like that.

BisMarckie

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2019, 09:22:01 PM »
I picked up a cheap xbox one s mostly to play last gen stuff. I bought  two years of live gold and signed up for one month of gamepass ultimate for one euro dollar. Now it says my next billing date will be in 2021. So I essentially got two years of ultimate basically for free? Surely that can’t be right...

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2019, 09:24:49 PM »
yep it is. they convert any existing live or gamepass time was 1:1 to ultimate. and if you had both live and gamepass they stacked the time when converting (one year live + one year gamepass = two years ultimate) :lol

BisMarckie

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2019, 09:30:22 PM »
Now I regret not buying three years of gold. cdkeys is selling those codes for 40 bucks.  :maf

Bebpo

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2019, 10:54:13 PM »
Ape Out - Played a bunch of levels and like the style and the music and the impact of the hits, but otherwise it feels like it's trying to be hotline miami but it's not hotline miami. The levels all kinda feel the same and the core gameplay just wore out its welcome really fast to me. I think I would have liked it better if I could see most of the map instead of just when you die.

Bebpo

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2019, 11:04:32 PM »
Cluster Truck - I thought this was a truck racing game  :lol instead it's basically like Mirror's Edge but weird fast physics. Pretty fun but again felt like it got repetitive really fast.

kingv

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2019, 12:36:47 AM »
yep it is. they convert any existing live or gamepass time was 1:1 to ultimate. and if you had both live and gamepass they stacked the time when converting (one year live + one year gamepass = two years ultimate) :lol

The conversion rate is unfortunately not great now.

I’m hoping they’ll have a holiday deal that you can get a year for $110 or so I’ll buy like 4.

Bebpo

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2019, 01:23:04 AM »
Creature in the Well - I like pinball and arkanoid and I should like this, but while it's a solid idea, it's both repetitive and the controls aren't really precise enough so some of the timed stuff is more annoying than fun. Did some worlds and youtube'd the end world to see how it ends. Metacritic reviews are around mid/high 70s, which sounds about right. Wouldn't have paid money for this.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2019, 09:27:13 AM »
Heads up, looks like Bloodstained is on PC game pass as well even though it was only announced for consoles. You have to search for it but it will show up as included once you do.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2019, 09:56:51 AM »
Oh, very nice.
dog

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2019, 07:57:03 PM »
Bloodstained seems....OK. Story seems  ::) , art/monster/character design seems bad.  :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2019, 12:14:08 AM »
A lot of people loved it, I thought it was solid but doesn't reach the classics. Castle is fun to explore but combat has too much brokenness, especially for boss fights by like 1/4th in.

Bebpo

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2019, 12:15:14 AM »
Oh and we finally got Shadow Warrior 2 which I'm excited about because I never ended up buying it. Shadow Warrior 2 & Observer were two of the Xbox-only gamepass games I really wanted on PC.

No time to play any of this shit though  :'(

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2019, 09:46:53 AM »
Shadow Warrior 2 was free on GOG last year.   :P

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2019, 10:27:14 AM »
Observer was great, put a review in the Xbox thread (why are there two anyway lol) so I hope it comes to PC for you

Fifstar

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2019, 05:18:23 PM »
Just checked out Bloodstained, seems pretty good. Also runs flawless on my 9 year old gpu. My poor switch  :'(

Will probably keep my subscription. My next renewal will be for 12 €/ 3 months which is a good deal considering you get to try out lots of stuff quick after the inital release. Just be able to test something for an hour or two is nice. Like I was always interested in Ori and the Blind Forest, but after the inital two hours it really didn't capture me. Another game to strike of the list of games to play. Almost feels better than playing a game  ::)

I would prefer many games on switch, but one game like Slay the Spire will cost me as much as my first 9 months on gamepass, that's to good to be passed up.

I wonder how this games of services will play out. Can't be sustainable like that for Microsoft right now. On the other hand who will be paying for indie games if everybody already has a cheap subscription where you can play plenty of current indie games?
Gulp

Bebpo

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2019, 05:27:33 PM »
Yeah, there's no way these things last as is, but oh well take advantage of it for now. They'll figure out something in the future.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2019, 07:46:22 PM »
Here’s hoping Xbox game pass comes to switch to own the sony stans?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2019, 07:54:45 PM »
this is why i've been been adding every free or cheap amount of prepaid time, once they raise the price i'm still set 8)

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2019, 09:27:09 AM »
Added to PC this month:

F1 2018
Lonely Mountains Downhill
Minit
The Outer Worlds
Saints Row IV: Re-Elected
State of Mind
Stellaris

Leaving PC this month:

Sinner: Sacrifice for Redemption

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/10/09/xbox-game-pass-for-pc-october-2019/

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2019, 09:41:40 AM »
:bow Outer Worlds :bow2
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2019, 09:54:29 AM »
They also added Dirt Rally 2, Dishonored, Bad North and fixed Killer Instinct.

I played some Dirt Rally 2, which was good but just sort of more of the same as Rally 1 with worse performance on my rig.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2019, 09:57:39 AM »
Yeah I noticed the same thing with Dirt Rally 2 on Steam. Had a lot of crashes with it when I had no issues with 1.

Bebpo

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2019, 06:37:45 PM »
Played a bit of Lonely Mountains: Downhill - Kinda neat little off-road racer with a nice art style. It's a bit Trials-ish, but the checkpoints are much further apart here and it's not quite so physics-y and extreme challenging. Still, when you're going downhill pretty fast and making turns it's pretty satisfying. Also lots of shortcuts everywhere are cool. I only wish you could zoom out further because a lot of the time it feels like you're flying blind and it's a bit trial & error since you can't see ahead of you.

Also finally started Gears 5. Looks pretty nice. Tutorial was pretty long.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2019, 05:00:30 AM »
They also added Dirt Rally 2, Dishonored, Bad North and fixed Killer Instinct.

Bad North is great
itm

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2019, 04:06:33 PM »
Fuck it, installing Kingdom Come Deliverance

What are the chances I uninstall quickly?  lol

I have very little patience for jank.

none

(1 minute)
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2019, 04:55:16 PM »
GamePass is rad when you have the Gigatit internuts:

(Image removed from quote.)

:stahp
dog

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2019, 11:14:40 AM »
Rage 2 is on PC GP even though its advertised for console only. Downloading it now, this is one I meant to try when on sale and there's no better price than this

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2019, 01:40:50 AM »
I think I just got a year of this for $1. I had just bought a year of Gold in October. Today I signed up for the 3 months of ultimate for $1. Apparently they convert the remainder of your current Gold or console gamepass to the ultimate plan when you sign up. I just checked my subscriptions and it says they're not going to charge me again until December 2020. If that's true this is the best subscription service ever.
sup

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2019, 09:16:20 AM »
Yup. It's a great deal. I think I might keep renewing until they increase the price.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2019, 10:05:45 AM »
Yep, I got that converted time thing plus been using free month codes when I see em pop up (or when they come with taco bell 8)) and I'm subscribed til 2022 now :lol

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2019, 11:52:46 AM »
Played a few hours of Vambrace: Cold Souls (aka Anime Darkest Dungeon) because it had some nice Korean anime tiddy art, but it's hard af + boring. Combat is "just keep hitting the attack button and hope you don't die" and you have to go through a million rooms of that and hope RNG gives you some without combat. Then you find a campfire, but oh whoops, RNG says you don't get to have any HP or Stamina refilled this time, so you have to leave the dungeon so everyone doesn't die.

I guess this is fun for people that like getting punched in the dick?  :idont
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2019, 10:05:17 PM »
Decided to check out CrossCore today. It's a pretty good little LTTP-like. The graphics are crisp, the characters are cute, and the gameplay is pretty solid. Although it did take me a bit to get used to the layout of the controls, once you do it feels pretty good. It seems like it has a good combat and puzzle mixture. I played through the intro dungeon and then did a couple of quests in the first town and field area. I like it, I'm gonna keep playing it.
©@©™

nachobro

• Live Más

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2019, 09:20:20 AM »
Game Pass really is an incredibly value right now.
dog