Author Topic: XBOX GamePass ~*OT*~ best service, best console (now with EA Play)  (Read 111716 times)

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
Re: XBOX GamePass ~*OT*~ best service, best console (now with EA Play)
« Reply #1320 on: January 26, 2023, 02:08:34 PM »
Hi-Fi Rush is pretty cool. First thought was, whomever made this must’ve watched Baby Driver a lot. Actually looked it up. It’s the guy who did Evil Within 2. People say it’s good and much better than the first.

Playing on normal and it’s forgiving with timing. Thankful for that. Never have an issue with rhythm games but these blends? Crypt of Necrodancer or the Hellslinger FPS. Shit at them. I beat Necrodancer with the cheat character.

Hard isn't really that hard either, I think it's how the game was meant to be played, great game so far

I opted for Very Hard difficulty and it ain't bad at all compared to hardcore action games like Ninja Gaiden, DMC3. I died a few times on the first boss but you learn the patterns, dodge the attacks and learn the flow of battle better. Game probably gets easier with upgrades too - just bought the health boost special move.

Loving the game, its so lighthearted with no edginess and bad words. Characters are instantly endearing. I've never been much of a rocker but I'm really grooving along with the soundtrack too. The Nine Inch Nails song in the first boss fight was great:

« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 08:08:44 PM by The Sceneman »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1321 on: January 26, 2023, 02:16:05 PM »
Hi-Fi Rush is pretty cool. First thought was, whomever made this must’ve watched Baby Driver a lot. Actually looked it up. It’s the guy who did Evil Within 2. People say it’s good and much better than the first.

Evil Within 2 is good, but I actually like the first game better. The series fanbase is pretty split on which game is better as they're quite different

Himu

« Reply #1322 on: January 26, 2023, 02:37:20 PM »
Bruh. I cannot believe this is from a game I bought for my ORIGINAL XBOX back in 2005. I can't believe it. And it RUNS IT?!?! OFF OF MY DISC?!

(Image removed from quote.)

I did awful against the boss :lol Its been a while.

It doesn't run off the disc, the disc is a key which lets you play a digital download pretty much

Each 360 + OG game are literally a "virtual machine" that spins up in its own little emulator with I assume its own unique settings for each game

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2017-xbox-one-x-back-compat-how-does-it-actually-work

Either way this is incredible tech given the Xbox hardware and the fact I can't tell a damn difference
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1323 on: January 26, 2023, 03:26:21 PM »
I'm not downplaying the tech, just letting you know so there is no confusion

Yes, MS dedicated manhours to developing a solution that lets you play your 360 and OG games at up to 4K resolution and even 60FPS, as well as supporting your original discs so you DONT have to repurchase them again

Even the infamous staircase in Ninja Gaiden 2 runs smoothly now

Sony meanwhile:

Nintendo meanwhile:
fat

Himu

« Reply #1324 on: January 26, 2023, 03:26:56 PM »
:bow
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1325 on: January 26, 2023, 03:31:15 PM »
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 03:37:28 PM by demi »
fat

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #1326 on: January 26, 2023, 04:02:19 PM »

Only normie simpletons think that  :ufup

It’s still pretty good and well worth playing though.
Margs

Himu

« Reply #1327 on: January 26, 2023, 05:56:07 PM »

It fixes the stairs and the frame issues of NGII?!

:bow MS :bow
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #1328 on: January 26, 2023, 09:20:40 PM »
Wow, Hi-Fi Rush is actually pretty fun. I wonder if we have more day one surprise release GamePass games coming this year.

Bebpo

« Reply #1329 on: January 28, 2023, 04:12:30 PM »
Well I'm back to Game Pass PC for Hi Fi Rush. Took a look at what's new in the last year and pretty solid amount of stuff. Probably would've been cheaper to stay subbed for all the money it'd have saved me from trying indie games and not liking them and not buying them on sale on Steam :P

Only real negative for Game Pass PC is I don't think it works on Steam Deck. I hear Hi Fi Rush runs great on that if you pick it up on Steam.

Will sub for a few months and try/play some of the stuff I've had in my Steam wishlist for the last year.

Beezy

« Reply #1330 on: February 21, 2023, 09:28:01 AM »
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1628032525322051586

I have one week to finish Octopath Traveler. I just started chapter 3. :-\

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1331 on: February 21, 2023, 09:53:36 AM »
I have one week to finish Octopath Traveler. I just started chapter 3. :-\

That's how they get you! :success
©@©™

Beezy

« Reply #1332 on: February 21, 2023, 12:26:43 PM »
I checked to see how much it costs after the gamepass discount and it's still $48 for this old ass game. Insane. Either I beat it within a week or I drop it.

Bebpo

« Reply #1333 on: February 21, 2023, 12:52:26 PM »
I checked to see how much it costs after the gamepass discount and it's still $48 for this old ass game. Insane. Either I beat it within a week or I drop it.

Good luck

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1334 on: February 26, 2023, 04:13:45 PM »
I missed Darkest Dungeon last time it was on Gamepass. I installed it this time around and I am hooked! Superb game and very challenging.

All the DLC is like $30 total and the bundle with all DLC is $40 so im just gonna buy this outright in case it gets removed again.

That's how they get you! :success

Himu

« Reply #1335 on: February 26, 2023, 04:35:05 PM »
I tried out Atomic Heart and it has some of the worst writing I've seen in a while. Also the game just really won't shut up and just let you play the game. When I do get to play the game it's alright but jeez. Makes me appreciate Doom all the more.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1336 on: February 27, 2023, 01:39:13 PM »
Yeah, it's really bad. If the nonstop snarky sidekick AI doesn't have you in stitches, we also have a horny refrigerator that sexually assaults you, hilarious!
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #1337 on: February 27, 2023, 03:44:00 PM »
Yeah, like the idea of a USSR that won sounds captivating but then the game has the subtlety of a dog in heat.
IYKYK

Hamarr

« Reply #1338 on: February 28, 2023, 12:16:18 AM »
The constant talking drove me up a wall.  I’ve started playing games with the volume down for stuff like that.  At least you are generally not stuck in place like on other games.  Everything about Atomic Heart just felt janky and not in a funny way.  Also a bit sleazy.  I’m not sure if I will revisit it anytime soon.

I am normally a sucker for Bioshock type games. 

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1339 on: February 28, 2023, 01:50:29 AM »
Yeah, it's really bad. If the nonstop snarky sidekick AI doesn't have you in stitches, we also have a horny refrigerator that sexually assaults you, hilarious!

Its not that bad.. the ingame character doesnt like the talking fridge either
What

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #1340 on: February 28, 2023, 10:36:49 AM »
I liked the first encounter with Nora, but a tired joke doesn't get less tired if the game calls attention to how tired it is. :hmph

I finished it. Overall, an OK first effort for a new studio, especially the art.
The plot hews close to its influences, the dialogue is what it is, the combat gets old, the overworld is needlessly sprawling, and there were some glaring bugs; one of which blocked my progress completely until I found a workaround, another prevented me from ever using the railgun.

PS: "crispy critters" does have an explanation buried in some emails late in the game. A medic uses it to refer to the protag and badly injured comrades while protag is out of it and it just stuck in his mind.
However, while it comes off as a merely uncommon variation on an everyday swear in Russian (fucked/fucking pies), it's a bit too clever for its own good in English, as "crispy critters" is slang for burn victims. If you don't know that, as most people won't, it comes off a completely nonsensical. "Fucking fritters" would have been a better choice, I think.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 10:40:57 AM by Rufus »

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #1341 on: February 28, 2023, 06:56:18 PM »
I did the first hour or two of this. I really like the art direction and the setup but idk I'm gonna stick with out.

The voiceover is BIZARRE. It's like everyone keeps stepping over each other's line and had no idea what the context for anything they were recording was. I couldn't figure out how to just put the voices in Russian, when I changed the language the whole interface swapped.

Himu

« Reply #1342 on: February 28, 2023, 07:05:50 PM »
Can we talk about the size 5 font subtitles? Because just why?
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1343 on: February 28, 2023, 07:37:27 PM »
I hate games that do that with no option to scale the UI. Some of us are old with bad eyes and we don't want to sit two feet from the TV.  :fbm
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #1344 on: February 28, 2023, 07:40:27 PM »
I've seen games with small subtitles but never anything that small before.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #1345 on: March 01, 2023, 05:24:51 AM »
Early HD era gaming was great. I think it was Dead Rising with the subtitles so small you couldn't read them when playing the game on a SDTV.

Edit: Saw this headline from 2006.

"Capcom to Dead Rising customers: if you can’t read the text, you’re just out of luck"

Peak CapCunt era.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1346 on: March 01, 2023, 09:19:33 AM »
What

Beezy

Himu

« Reply #1348 on: March 01, 2023, 12:42:02 PM »
Early HD era gaming was great. I think it was Dead Rising with the subtitles so small you couldn't read them when playing the game on a SDTV.

Edit: Saw this headline from 2006.

"Capcom to Dead Rising customers: if you can’t read the text, you’re just out of luck"

Peak CapCunt era.

I had an sdtv when playing dead rising and could definitely read them but wow
IYKYK

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1349 on: March 05, 2023, 06:13:20 PM »
Had exactly 3 achievements left to get in Plague Tale Requiem which was good as it allowed me to complete the "powerful women of gamepass" punch card for 500 reward points. Uninstalled the game immediately after unlocking the last one. What a drag

Graphics: 9/10
Sound design: 10/10
Gameplay 4/10
Gameplay on replay: 1/10

Polident Hive

« Reply #1350 on: March 06, 2023, 10:52:35 PM »
Shadow Warrior 3 is yet another game with nonstop chatter. Obnoxious even within its own franchise that started by trying to one up Duke 3D. When he sang rapper’s delight during a platforming sequence, that was enough of that.

Bebpo

« Reply #1351 on: March 06, 2023, 11:43:40 PM »
Shadow Warrior 3 is yet another game with nonstop chatter. Obnoxious even within its own franchise that started by trying to one up Duke 3D. When he sang rapper’s delight during a platforming sequence, that was enough of that.

Well...I think you've sold me on playing this.

Beezy

« Reply #1352 on: March 07, 2023, 12:02:50 PM »
Guilty Gear Strive is up today.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1353 on: March 07, 2023, 12:35:45 PM »

Shadow Warrior 3 is an absolute turd compared to the previous 2 games.
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1354 on: March 07, 2023, 12:35:58 PM »

Well...I think you've sold me on playing this.

Play Shadow Warrior 1 and 2 instead
What

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1355 on: March 07, 2023, 03:21:07 PM »
Guilty Gear Strive is up today.

Installing asap :hyper

Himu

« Reply #1356 on: March 07, 2023, 04:31:25 PM »

Effing Yap Yap games.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #1357 on: March 11, 2023, 08:20:51 PM »
Finally tried Hi Fi Rush and kinda lukewarm on it after an hour?
The cutscenes and art style are amazinggggg

But once I started playing the movement and platforming didn't feel very good and the combat seems really basic boring with the beat stuff trying to freshen it up.

Hopefully it just takes some time to get going since I'm still unlocking combat abilities. But like the general movement and platforming felt better in Sunset Overdrive (even though I didn't like that game since it's all just enemy waves yawnnn).

Bebpo

« Reply #1358 on: March 11, 2023, 11:37:04 PM »
Played a couple more stages and it's a bit better, but still finding it kind of boring gameplay and feel like I could be spending my time playing tighter games. At first felt like the game was a 7/10 with great visuals, but now feels like an 8/10 w/great visuals. Kind of reminds me of Stray where the gameplay was light but the visuals were really nice.

To me Hi Fi Rush feels more of a Ratchet and Clank game than a Devil May Cry game. Mostly because the combat just doesn't feel anywhere near as tight as DMC/Bayo/NG. Feels more like what I think of with Ratchet combat, simple but does the job. But I keep wishing the levels in Hi Fi Rush were more like Ratchet and Clank where it actually felt like you can explore them a bit and find secrets. Hi Fi Rush has some secrets here and there but so far it's mostly just a linear corridor stage thing with basic platforming.

I guess I'm stuck in the middle. If Hi Fi Rush was a sandbox game like Sunset Overdrive with rail grinds and great movement + the music system (aka if Hi Fi Rush was Jet Set Radio with DMC combat) it'd be my kind of game. Or if Hi Fi Rush was a hardcore deep and tough character action game like DMC/NG/Bayo and wasn't level designed like a linear 3d platformer game I'd dig it. But it's this sort of inbetween where, at least so far, it doesn't seem like it really excels in the level design/platforming and it doesn't excel in the combat and is just sorta ...alright but it looks amazing and you get to do the game to the rhythm.

I'll probably stick with it through the end, but ehh, I might get bored like TWEWY2 and drop it. We will see...

Polident Hive

« Reply #1359 on: March 15, 2023, 12:03:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/1636019633936277506

Kind of forgot about Ghostwire Tokyo when it came out at an unfortunate time. No body really talked about it since. But I’m looking forward to playing it when it hits.

Bebpo

« Reply #1360 on: March 15, 2023, 10:56:50 PM »
Went to start on Lake and it was gone, wtf, not sure I missed when that left sometime in the last month. Thought I'd been paying attention to games leaving soon and I skipped the humble bundle that had it since it was on game pass. Oh well, maybe will be free on Epic launcher or in a cheap steam sale this year.

Tried out Tunic and Norco instead. Norco seems cool, very slick interface. Reminds me of Disco Elysium.
Tunic seemed interesting but after a bit I'm not sure I'm entirely sold on the combat + souls mechanics. I normally like the latter, but the combat seems a little iffy, like spiders jumping everywhere and you take a fuck load of damage. I like the Zelda 1 style exploration side of figuring things out yourself without handholding though.

Bebpo

« Reply #1361 on: March 16, 2023, 01:40:57 AM »
Played more Tunic, it's a good game but idk if I'll stick with it. The souls thing isn't a big deal since you just lose like 20 gold, but the enemies don't seem that fun to fight and have padded HP and there's tons of them. It's fine but just feels kind of tiring. Also the visual design of the world kinda looks like generic game maker zelda-like and same-y which doesn't motivate exploring it as much.

With game pass and sub services I'm finding I'm more ok with playing a few hours of a game and feeling like I've got enough and moving on to something else.

Beezy

« Reply #1363 on: March 28, 2023, 10:33:44 AM »
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1640505566111100930

I think Nintex was the one who liked this NFS. Not a bad price for a 4 month old game.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1365 on: April 05, 2023, 12:54:07 AM »
Heard loop hero is good, already too much on my plate though! Might get to it eventually

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1366 on: April 12, 2023, 11:42:37 AM »
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1640505566111100930

I think Nintex was the one who liked this NFS. Not a bad price for a 4 month old game.
This is a pretty cool game, I picked it up for 30 shortly after launch.
🤴

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1368 on: May 02, 2023, 06:39:17 AM »
Redfall is a stinker unfortunately. Feels jankier than borderlands 1 on 360. Shit clipping everywhere, AI couldn't see me in front of an enemy... played for half an hour and unistalled. Feel bad for the devs as this seems very rushed out. Even the menus were slow and buggy. Kinda crazy as Deathloop felt so polished. Arkane B studio?

Bebpo

« Reply #1369 on: May 02, 2023, 11:50:58 AM »
Redfall is a stinker unfortunately. Feels jankier than borderlands 1 on 360. Shit clipping everywhere, AI couldn't see me in front of an enemy... played for half an hour and unistalled. Feel bad for the devs as this seems very rushed out. Even the menus were slow and buggy. Kinda crazy as Deathloop felt so polished. Arkane B studio?

I mean technically it's the A studio since this team did Dishonored 1 and Prey, but I guess Prey (though good) was more like a B-team kind of game, so maybe?
Arkane Lyon did Dishonored 2 and Deathloop.

From what I read about Redfall it sounds like Bethesda said "your games sell like shit and every release is selling worse and worse, we want you guys to make a GAAS looter shooter, do that or you're fired" and Arkane's strengths are not in that kind of game, so it turned out a half-assed PoS.

Hopefully since MS owns them now, MS will overlook this game being shit and let them make a game they want next.

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #1370 on: May 02, 2023, 02:38:22 PM »
SW Jedi Survivor devs glad something else arrived to steal the headlines
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Hamarr

« Reply #1371 on: May 02, 2023, 05:42:55 PM »

I mean technically it's the A studio since this team did Dishonored 1 and Prey, but I guess Prey (though good) was more like a B-team kind of game, so maybe?
Arkane Lyon did Dishonored 2 and Deathloop.

From what I read about Redfall it sounds like Bethesda said "your games sell like shit and every release is selling worse and worse, we want you guys to make a GAAS looter shooter, do that or you're fired" and Arkane's strengths are not in that kind of game, so it turned out a half-assed PoS.

Hopefully since MS owns them now, MS will overlook this game being shit and let them make a game they want next.

They seem like the new Looking Glass studios or Ion Storm that way?  I love most of their other games. I couldn't get into Death Loop, mostly because of the repetitive concept, but most other things about the game were good. Redfall is just a mess. Wrong game for the wrong studio? 

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1372 on: May 03, 2023, 11:59:49 AM »

Like what the fuck, did arkane and ms upload a two year old build to gamepass by accident?
(ice)

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1373 on: May 03, 2023, 04:22:36 PM »
Ikr? I was ready to jump in and enjoy some co-op action with my buddy and simply couldn't believe what I was playing. Felt like playing a PS2 game with 360 launch graphics. I just watched a clip of King Kong on 360 and it looks better than Redfall. Absolutely mental. Guess they had to ship this. The fact they're asking an extra $40 for the deluxe upgrade is lol

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1374 on: May 03, 2023, 04:42:14 PM »
We plan to patch in the AI and enemy spawns over the coming months, please understand.
(ice)

Hamarr

« Reply #1375 on: May 03, 2023, 05:21:13 PM »
I played it a little more last night and enjoyed it a little more than the first time. I don't know if it was patched or my connection was just really laggy the first time.  I did read most of the really glaring bugs occur in co-op so I wasn't seeing those.

The design is still weird.  Some of the reviews were comparing it to Destiny or the Division, but it kind of reminded me more of something like State of Decay but there's not survival loop. Like you unlock safehouses and people show up, but so far there doesn't seem to be resources or anything like State of Decay or some other survival game.  Except maybe there is more ammo when I go back to the Firehouse.  There is some Ubisoft stuff with running around clearing stuff off the map in there, too. The trailers all looked more like Left 4 Dead or something, so I was initially not interested in it at all.

I really can't tell what exactly they were going for. It's like they took some elements of various online subgenres and threw them into a blender and it's weird.   That could be okay if this was a low to mid budget early access type game instead of one of their biggest releases of the year. There's no way this should have been hyped up like that, or should have cost anywhere close to $70. Maybe like $30-40 would be bordering on acceptable?  I'm glad I got it on Games Pass instead of paying for it.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1376 on: May 03, 2023, 05:24:59 PM »
In more positive Gamepass news I checked out Loop Hero and it's really good. No bullshit, just solid deckbuilding and resource harvesting and watching numbers go up.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1377 on: May 31, 2023, 05:07:56 AM »
This game comes out tomorrow and looks like some Build Engine (maybe mocked in Unity?) goodness. A spinoff of the excellent lore of Hypnospace Outlaw. Will give it a whirl

Polident Hive

« Reply #1378 on: May 31, 2023, 07:06:49 AM »
Demo for it was fun. Trailer had it looking like PO’ed send up, but it’s actually a competent game.

Himu

« Reply #1379 on: June 01, 2023, 05:14:37 PM »
Holy crap that looks like a Nintendo 64 game verbatim lmao
IYKYK