Author Topic: New Final Fantasy VII Remake trailer actually...looks good  (Read 3221 times)

Himu

New Final Fantasy VII Remake trailer actually...looks good
« on: September 11, 2019, 10:58:58 AM »

I think I might give it a shot now after seeing this. :obama

- DON CORNEO

- Aerith is a flirt and not just a crappy damsel. She’s got the PS1 version sass :gladbron

- SQUATS :gladbron

- toaded :lawd

There’s no point in being a cynic all the time. This looks good. :obama

They proved me wrong and seem to have managed to transition VII’s personality to the new remake which I didn’t  think remotely possible.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:03:47 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: New Final Fantasy VII Remake trailer actually...looks good
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 11:14:58 AM »
Videogames :rejoice
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 11:15:57 AM »
:rejoice
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 11:53:43 AM »
 :beli

Himu

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 12:07:57 PM »
Nah. The concerns outweighed how good it looked for many. This is the first trailer to make it actually look potentially worth it.

I know I’m not the only person who has said this trailer made their doubts lessen considerably.
IYKYK

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 12:08:59 PM »
I will play them all at the end once they've all been released

spoiler (click to show/hide)
JK I'm old and I'll be dead by the time the last one ships
[close]

Rahxephon91

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 12:28:22 PM »
Squaresoft were artists. They were boundary pushers and now they take 5-7 years (it was in development a year before it was announced and it's still a year away), to remake the game and they can only squeeze in the first locale.

Squaresoft looked at the stars. Square Enix looks at the dollar signs.

Fuck them.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 12:29:28 PM »
 Let's be real. If FFVII were command-based, had visible enemies it'd still sell well by virtue of being FFVII.

Instead, they've decided to make it action-based because it'd sell best even if though it's not in the spirit of the original game. They're whores.  Anything for that dough and it's not worth respecting.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 12:31:56 PM »
Lap it up. Should the Midgar section last 40 hours anyways? Like, what really could be expanded that much? Much like the boss fight against the scorpion that lasted 10 hours, the remake sounds like it's hilarious drawn out. Or maybe hilariously short and lacking content.

Either way...pass.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 12:32:31 PM »
They proved me wrong and seem to have managed to transition VII’s personality to the new remake which I didn’t  think remotely possible.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 12:34:39 PM »
 :sabu

Himu

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 12:41:31 PM »
I still agree with a lot of it. :yeshrug

They have absolutely no reason for anyone to trust them with this game. There hasn’t been a good FF (sans XIV) since XII came out in 2006. But they’re doing good work proving people wrong.

I’ll gladly be proven wrong.

Much better to have low expectations and come away impressed than the opposite.

Also the concerns are still valid. Turning one locale you’re in 5 hours tops into a full fledged does cause for concern. And I’m still concerned about that. Why? Because I’m not a mindless fan drone.

However....it does look great. :delicious

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 12:46:11 PM »
I wasn’t talking to you. I was talking to Rah. Rah is the fan whore, you aren’t.

IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 12:46:43 PM »
Not a mindless fan drone.

*squeals like a fan drone because they show familiar things*

Not a mindless fan drone.

*gives to a kickstarter like a mindless fan drone*

I always like how when people say there hasn't been a good FF in years have to ignore the main installment that's taken a lot of Square's effort. Oh there hasn't been any good any FF games, please just ignore that one that currently has 4 major campaigns with it's most recent one being one of the series best. That game dosen't count for some unknown reason!

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2019, 12:47:09 PM »
Man it does look pretty sweet. But I have no faith in SE not screwing it up in several ways, especially the combat.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 12:47:41 PM »
I wasn’t talking to you. I was talking to Rah. Rah is the fan whore, you aren’t.
Yes fan whore because I'm interested in a FF game. Yes the mark of a whore.

Yet I did'nt make this thread....

And don't make idiot excuses for my arguments.....

"Square dosen't make good FF games...Please ignore this main line installment"

"People like me aren't whores and if you disagree with me you are....PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY YU SUSKI FOR YOUR UNPROVEN PROJECT"

"Remakes shouldn't try anything and be just like the originals...RE2 Remake is good guys"
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 12:53:23 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 12:49:58 PM »
a lot of slut shaming in this thread

Rahxephon91

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 12:51:13 PM »
Like Costa del Sol was what, 2 screenshots?

That alone is going to need side content, new assets, music, working to scale an area from 2 obscurely angled PoVs.
edit:
I was attempting to as well, you just posted earlier hence the "they're whores!!!1!" quote.

He seems too far gone down the hole so I'll just stop replying to this thread :dizzy
I mean you're a whore too. Because your not skeptical like the obvious genius that is Himu.

Himu

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 01:00:24 PM »
But there’s a medium between turning a 5 hour location into a full fledged game.

You bring up Midgar’s size but a big part of the allure Midgar is the mystery and mystique. In other words, a large appeal of it is what you don’t see and explore. There’s little reason to explore every inch of Midgar and I see no reason to.

No one has argued that Midgar shouldn’t be developed more. But they’ve said that each FFVIIR part is a full fledged game length. Last I checked the average length of most FF’s is 40 hours. They cite XIII length. I beat that in 40 hours. The Midgar section of VII lasts 5 hours maybe 6 hours tops. Being stretched to a full length game is concerning and could easily lead to pace issues.

If the first part were more than Midgar it’d go over better. If it were full length half (20 hours) were in Midgar and the rest was Kalm and Junon I don’t think there’d be any reason to complain or criticize. I certainly wouldn’t. But instead it’s one game one city. It’s hard to not see “full length game” and “only Midgar” which, I remind you, lasts only 5 hours and question if it’s just a cynical cash grab mired with pacing issues and the serious bloat that we got in the Compilation. In the Compilation they took a random My Bloody Valentine tribute and turned a bulk of a games content and story into putrid poetry writing pap. That’s their idea of “filling out” FFVII’s world. So given that we are dealing with a Midgar section blown up to a full game any concern towards how they’re going to handle the pacing is genuine.

The problem with many defenses for the VII remake is that many act as if the Compilation didn’t exist. We’ve already seen how they handle FFVII content before. It was legitimately terrible. Any cynicism towards this project has been earned - full sale - and any attempt to act as if those concerns aren’t legitimate sounds crazy. Like people are just mean towards FFVII remake for no reason.

That’s the fanboyism I can do without.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 01:09:11 PM »
people are in their 20's who were born after FF7 and many more were too young to have played it

their games were Kingdom Hearts/Crisis Core/the movie/crossovers

all ff7 media references midgar, it's the big draw stylistically and most people think the whole game is just that section

this game is not only for those people in their mid 20's, but those younger to train them to be proper SE paypigs get them in the FF7 train which has mostly lost that generation
Well clearly those people should get fucked. Square is clearly a shitty company for trying to appeal to new people. The Arpg combat is simply just a fucking cash grab that has no soul or any really thought behind it. Fuck them for not making a game for me, a clear true fan. It should be turn based, over world, pre-rended backgrounds, fixed camera angels, and so on. It dosen't at all need to be the production of a main line FF game, no one wanted that at all.

Himu

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 01:09:27 PM »
:obama

Point met but again I never said it should be “just a few hours”. Make it 20 hours. That’s a thorough investigation. 40 hours tho? Come on.

That said, I like what I see. I really want to believe in this project.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 01:39:43 PM »
I like that it still has the goofiness that was in the original, instead of making it all super serial like most of the FF7 spinoff stuff.
dog

Rahxephon91

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2019, 01:42:11 PM »

That said, I like what I see. I really want to believe in this project.

*After an E3 showing with an actual in depth look at the gameplay. One that really stessed that it wasn't just going to be a mash A arpg and a trailer that showed more relevant stuff to the game*

That looks awful. Hp sink boss and awful banter. Took forever and I bored by the end of it.

*A trailer that dosen't really show gameplay and is mostly cutscenes and banter, but is full of things that make you go "like from the original game!*

*There’s no point in being a cynic all the time. This looks good*
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 01:51:13 PM by Rahxephon91 »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2019, 01:48:32 PM »
it looks the same to me. granted i was never a mega-ff7 fan but i don't see the change.

Himu

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2019, 01:58:44 PM »
I like that it still has the goofiness that was in the original, instead of making it all super serial like most of the FF7 spinoff stuff.

I know dude. I can’t believe it. That’s what’s sold me.
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2019, 02:15:51 PM »
This shit looks great
püp

Rahxephon91

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2019, 02:18:27 PM »
What sold me is the images of things I know and like.

Himu

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2019, 02:19:55 PM »
What sold me is the images of things I know and like.

What sold me was the tone. I don't like the tone of the Compilation, and I don't see what's wrong with admitting that.

Jesus Christ. Get help.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2019, 02:29:55 PM »
Yeah because the Compilation(which is bad, but I'm a mindless fanboy so I must like it) has a set tone in the 3 major installments of it and was a useful judge of character in the remake of an hours long jrpg that they already said would try and be faithful to. A game that in itself changes tone often. Like almost every jrpg ever. From cross dressing to environmental terrosim to strange mysticism to villains at beach resorts and murder.

The three things such as

Advent Children which has a pretty somber tone.

Dirge of Cerberus which has a more gothic action vibe thanks to the lead character being a strange Vampire dude.

And Crisis Core a game about brotherly friendship that can sway in tone and is a bit more light hearted thanks to its main character Zack.

Yep those told you how Remake was going to be treated.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 02:39:47 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2019, 02:33:50 PM »
What is your deal? Multiple people beyond me have commented about the tone being legitimately FFVII-like besides this site. The Compilation was terrible besides Crisis Core. I and others didn't like the super tone of Advent Children or Dirge of Cerberus and were worried (rightfully) that FFVII's remake would reflect that.

This trailer was jam packed with, what I read earlier,"mid-90's earnestness" that typifies FFVII's tone. It assuaged many concerns many had towards the project that many, more than myself, have expressed.

If I don't like what I see, you got a problem. If I like what I see, you got a problem.

I'm starting to think you might be the problem. This is getting tedious.
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2019, 02:35:58 PM »
all ff7 media references midgar, it's the big draw stylistically and most people think the whole game is just that section
I like how this is seemingly maintained while Aeris' death is a meme. It was always the better twist/surprise anyway.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2019, 02:37:01 PM »
The problem is you're an obnoxious and dramatic douche when it comes to games, nay anything you've declared yourself a "big" fan of.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2019, 02:39:50 PM »
jesus, just fuck already
püp

Himu

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2019, 02:40:57 PM »
I'm pretty sure that I've been *more* positive about games lately? And less caustic and trying to be more open-minded?

:thinking
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2019, 02:42:58 PM »
jesus, just fuck already

I would but the boy ain't right
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2019, 02:44:48 PM »
Yeah...going

"OMG THE SWITCH IS AMAZING. NINTENDO IS SO GREAT. EVERYONE ELSE IS GARBAGE. GAMING IS SAVED"

"....I mean gaming was fine, plenty of solid games, even good Japanese ones Himu.."

NO FUCK YOU. EVERYTHING IS BETTER ON THE SWITCH. NINTENDO IS THE ONLY ONE KEEPING GAMES ALIVE.

which has been your mo somehow even before buying a Switch and is only amplified more now is more "positive".

Either way, VII Remake looks good. The dub sounds kind of meh compared to other Square stuff though. But I have to go hurt myself for even saying that because again I'm a super FF whore because I like the games according to never wrong and always correct opinions Himu. 

Svejk

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2019, 02:47:03 PM »
I'd be ok with this only being 10-13 hours.  Too many games, so little time.  :trumps.    A month later is Cyberpunk, so who's gonna care about this afterward.

Himu

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2019, 02:48:39 PM »
I made a thread for FFVIIr and System Shock 3 today. Neither of which are coming to Switch. I've been excited Bloodlines 2 and Cyberpunk, which aren't coming to switch either. I've been in the Control thread because it looks rad.

Overwhelmingly I'm far more positive about games lately and somehow that's a problem.

I'm so confused.

IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2019, 03:04:07 PM »
Rhax went full :dizzy unprompted in another thread

I said that he should probably calm down

He took a few srs jabs at me and called me a whore

:rejoice
You do realize that those posts were copy and pasted posts of Cindi? The point was to mock her as all shes done is shit on the game and condescend to anyone who did'nt agree with her about the game. Culminating in calling them whores because you'd have to be if you like FF games and defend this game because you don't agree with them. Then all of a sudden this game looks ok because this trailer which is not beyond anything the game has sown, displayed things they are familiar with. Proving my point that in the end they just wanted to be pandered too. Because even though they are not trying to angel thier skepticism as "well did you play those other games", it really has always been "I don't like modern games, how dare they attempt to make modern changes".
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 03:09:52 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2019, 03:11:59 PM »
Liking games tone = wanting to be pandered to?

So not liking the Compilation means people don’t like it because they weren’t pandered to?

The amount of bad logic on display here is thickening.
IYKYK

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2019, 03:15:02 PM »
Hi

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2019, 03:15:17 PM »
Don't worry, you can both be the loud and hyperbolic ones :heart

Himu

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2019, 03:17:05 PM »
Anyways, I really like the new Daddy Shinra design. In the original he looks like a stout, non threatening shmuck. Which made it all the more infuriating when you’re powerless to fight him amid armed guard at Shinra HQ. in the remake design looks great. The big, ominous hologram is a great touch. Papa Shinra has no need to see such riff raff in person.

I also really like you get an actual confrontation with the Turks at the church now. the barrel thing was always wack and not fun. Reno and Rude look great as does Tsung.

More development for Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie is going to be heartbreaking but I welcome it.

And did Don Corneo get redesigned? I like how it seems like a redesign but you just know. You just know.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2019, 03:17:11 PM »
Liking modern FF games. Doesn't care for spin-offs/sequels. Interested in how FFVII Remake is. Thinks XV was a decent game=WHORE

That's your logic.

Also no one said they not liking the Compilation meant that. It was pretty bad( I mean good because im a FF whore) after all. What was said is you've been shitting on and crying about this specific Remake for years because it did'nt pander to you and you like to shit on modern games. Now all of a sudden it does and wow "the game is starting to look good". Who would have thought?

Himu

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2019, 03:19:03 PM »
It’s the way you defend them, Rah. You defended the compilation in another post talking about different tones and shit. It screams fanboy. The propensity to defend anything and everything FF.

Anyways...*looks at nails* “conversation” over.

Also oh no, the audacity of someone wanting to be pandered to in a game remake. Shock and awe. Lol
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2019, 03:22:43 PM »
It’s the way you defend them, Rah. You defended the compilation in another post talking about different tones and shit. It screams fanboy.

Yes defending means "Yeah I did'nt care for them, but these are the tones they had. They fluctuated and went different directions, maybe not a judge a new game based on them". Great logic from the "I hate everything thats not how I think it should be" person you are.

Himu

« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2019, 03:24:02 PM »
The way you’re acting now is precisely why I call you a whore and it’s hilarious that you don’t realize you’re acting like a gfaqs  fanboy right now

Someone who puts his actual peronshood on the line for square Enix. It’s hilarious.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2019, 03:25:24 PM »
A whore would be talking about things they like.

I'm talking about why I can't stand your opinions and how it's hilarious that you of all peole would make this thread going "OH BOY THIS LOOKS GOOD NOW"

No one is tying thier personhood to Square Enix you idiot. There's not even a "fanboy" argument. See thats why you're annoying. It's all fanboy this and that when people don't have opinions you have. Even when it's not even about the game.

I don't care about FFVII Remake. Maybe it will be good. Maybe it wont. I don't know. The Midgar thing is odd, but guess what? I haven't played the game and obviously it's not going to be 1:1 to a jrpg from 1997! So I have no idea how it will play out. So why even shit on it like you do?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 03:30:56 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2019, 03:49:44 PM »
Also oh no, the audacity of someone wanting to be pandered to in a game remake. Shock and awe. Lol
That is pretty audacious. There’s nothing claiming a good or bad remake has to follow the original and be what fans want. All a remake has to do is take a previous idea and present it in a new way.

“The propensity to defend anything and everything FF.”

Eh I defend the games I like which in FF’s case is the main line games mostly. I don’t care for most of the spin-offs or sequels. Yeah total fanboy.

Also total fanboy move to argue with someone up thier own ass that hey maybe the Remake won’t be bad even though it’s not just the 97 game again.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 03:53:52 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2019, 03:53:39 PM »
No but you’re seeing someone be excited at seeing something they’re familiar with and being excited about that and having a problem with it when it’s a remake.

Which makes you look more than a little re re because that’s why ANYONE is in on it because it’s a 20 year old vidya.

You sound ridiculous.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2019, 03:59:05 PM »
You also have the propensity to think what you think is what everyone in the fandom thinks or what they should think. Plenty of people are into it because it simply looks good. I’m interested in it because it’s the next FF and liking modern FF does not make me a fanboy. I don’t even like VII that much.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2019, 04:02:31 PM »
No I sound like someone preparing for the thread when the game comes out where you cry endlessly because you’ve had another one of your typical changes and the game is a crime aginst your soul because they changed something.

Himu

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2019, 04:05:38 PM »
I don’t think this represents everyone buying it. After all there are people who have never played VII getting it.

But it’s delusional to surmise that many (most) people getting it don’t want to see the familiar. Look at the reaction to the trailer. Why did they make the entire first part in Midgar?

The entire point of remakes is to bring in the new, but it’s also to placate the old. Business 101. And yet somehow you’re shocked FFVII fans are excited to see FFVII’s tone replicated after a decade of serious ass horse shit while claiming to not even like VII that much.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2019, 04:10:11 PM »
Oh I’m not shocked. Over the years of reading you shit on this game I know you’re idea of placating is “Remake the 97 game 1:1”.

Where any normal persons idea of placating in a Remake can range from subtle allusions to full on the same thing. Most people are just happy when a remake is good on its own regardless of the direction it takes. You (again from your endless bitching) don’t want that. It has to be %100 what you think FFVII is. So when the game comes out and has creative changes because Remakes can and sometimes should, you’ll go to full on hate mode.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2019, 04:12:50 PM »
what is going on here
dog

Himu

« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2019, 04:13:44 PM »
I have no idea Grumble.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2019, 04:15:28 PM »
Oh I’m not shocked. Over the years of reading you shit on this game I know you’re idea of placating is “Remake the 97 game 1:1”.

Where any normal persons idea of placating in a Remake can range from subtle allusions to full on the same thing. Most people are just happy when a remake is good on its own regardless of the direction it takes. You (again from your endless bitching) don’t want that. It has to be %100 what you think FFVII is. So when the game comes out and has creative changes because Remakes can and sometimes should, you’ll go to full on hate mode.

This actually goes against what I’ve said. I never said I want the same exact game. I’ve even used examples of Resident Evil’s remake which is not a 1:1 remake. 

You are delusional and crazy.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2019, 04:18:52 PM »
Actually you have used ReMake 1 as an example of remake not really changing anything(the “core”), having the same gameplay, and basically being the same game but in higher fedailty as what VII Remake should be.

So now you’re just lying.

When I’ve said well that game came out a different time and the modern Remake 2 changed its gameplay to more action base like VII, you scuff that off as being dumb.

Himu

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2019, 04:22:27 PM »
Huh?

REmake isn’t the same game. It adds new locals, and completely rearranges the game. I’ve argued that it takes the original and makes it better, while offering a completely different experience on top of also being familiar. And I don’t see why that offends you.

You have issues.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2019, 04:45:04 PM »
You have argued that Remake was a game that didn’t need to change the gameplay while adding new things and being true to the original while being a Remake. While dismissing that VII Remake couldn’t do the same all because it’s now an arpg. That was your point in comparing it to Remake no matter how stupid it was. It didn’t change the gameplay so it was faithful. All your vague talk about feeling true to the oringnal is bs talk. VII Remake could have been the same, but nope changing the battle system(which has an atb like to be true to the original) meant it was shit on by you.

Which makes your turn here really funny. And await the game coming out so you can further have dramatic turn and shit on it.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 05:00:47 PM by Rahxephon91 »