Author Topic: What's the deal with white people and Bill Murray movies?  (Read 12532 times)

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
Re: What's the deal with white people and Bill Murray movies?
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2019, 05:37:42 PM »
If this thread was about Chevy Chase, you'd have my sword Cindi!  :-*

Worst SNL cast member, had a career playing a basic bitch white guy, quite literally almost everyone around him is more talented.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2019, 05:40:01 PM »

I like the early National Lampoon's. I've laughed at National Lampoon's Vacation harder than any Bill Murray movie.
IYKYK

samir

« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2019, 05:42:57 PM »
Film is your passion, yet you are seemingly incapable of appreciating the brilliance of William Murray, one of the all time greats?  :era

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2019, 05:44:05 PM »

I like the early National Lampoon's. I've laughed at National Lampoon's Vacation harder than any Bill Murray movie.

I'd assume you've heard or seen Fletch. Fletch is what happens when you take Beverley Hills Cop and whitewash Eddie Murphy out with Chevy.

I agree with Bill Murray having a bit of an overrated career or presense. But there are far, far worse white people celebrities/portfolios than Bill Murray.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2019, 05:46:17 PM »
Saying you watch kino while stanning Bill Murray, the man who helped give us...Ghostbusters :dead

Not that there’s anything wrong with Ghostbusters but getting elitist over Bill Murray is like being elitist over salad. :sabu
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2019, 05:49:09 PM »
My favourite part of Mistranslation is when Bill Murray went like: "Uhm-hmm, I love me some o dat Nikka whisky."

That movie probably only got the nod cause it was directed by Nicolas Cage's daughter, Sophie Scorsese.

Himu

« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2019, 05:49:36 PM »

I'd assume you've heard or seen Fletch. Fletch is what happens when you take Beverley Hills Cop and whitewash Eddie Murphy out with Chevy.

I agree with Bill Murray having a bit of an overrated career or presense. But there are far, far worse white people celebrities/portfolios than Bill Murray.

Will Ferrell :beli

Tbf I like anchorman
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2019, 05:49:58 PM »
Not a big fan of Ghostbusters 2 but even now I'll laugh thinking about the ending of Venkman's show where he signs off by pointing at his head as if he's sending a psychic message
https://youtu.be/Kiiuc0M4L40?t=170

Himu

« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2019, 05:50:11 PM »
My favourite part of Mistranslation is when Bill Murray went like: "Uhm-hmm, I love me some o dat Nikka whisky."

That movie probably only got the nod cause it was directed by Nicolas Cage's daughter, Sophie Scorsese.

Dog shit film
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2019, 05:51:43 PM »
Chevy Chase was the Dane Cook of his day.

Himu

« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2019, 05:52:28 PM »
Wait Hardcore are you having a stroke? She’s Francis’ daughter.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2019, 05:53:31 PM »
The great Francis Scorcese.

Himu

« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2019, 05:54:20 PM »
Can we all at least agree that Mel Brooks > ?

Blazing Saddles :heart
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2019, 05:55:25 PM »
I'll let you in on a secret. The movie isn't called Mistranslation either, and the whisky he was promoting in the film was a Suntory Hibiki.

samir

« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2019, 05:57:36 PM »
Did you even watch the movie Cindy?  :sabu

Himu

« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2019, 06:00:01 PM »
The great Francis Scorcese.

You are having fun out there :dead

I really don’t get Sofia Coppola. I outright stan Francis’ work but Sofia...although I do like the Virgin Suicides. She’s one of those directors I earnestly want to get but end up being disappointed because her world view is often so fucking shallow. Meanwhile Hollywood is fapping all over this woman auteur and I really wanna be about it. At least with Sofia I get the appeal, unlike Wes Anderson.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2019, 06:01:49 PM »
I'll let you in on a secret. The movie isn't called Mistranslation either, and the whisky he was promoting in the film was a Suntory Hibiki.

It really is a bad movie. Especially the bad My Bloody Valentine clip. MBV deserves better than to be on such a bad movie.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2019, 06:03:42 PM »
oh no my husband is a photographer and i came with him to japan and i just sit in my hotel room all day drinking and aren't these people weird??

Oscars:

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2019, 06:07:41 PM »
Sofia Coppola basically watched Taipei Story, was inspired by it through her own previous experiences in Japan in her 20's, and made the whitest film ever.

http://www.mtv.com/news/3021638/lost-in-translation-is-an-insufferable-racist-mess-why-would-we-expect-the-beguiled-to-be-any-different/

Cac shit.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2019, 06:13:16 PM »
Sofia Copulation?

More like white trash whore.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2019, 06:14:18 PM »
I want to like Lost in Translation but that movie always puts me to sleep.

Himu

« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2019, 06:16:41 PM »

MBV deserves better than this. :tocry
IYKYK

samir

« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2019, 06:22:38 PM »
Personally, I can't wait for Ms. Coppola's new film On the Rocks, starring the great Bill Murray. Slated for a 2020 release.

The team behind the hit film Lost in Translation will once again bless moviegoers across the world. Did someone say Academy Award?

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2019, 06:23:15 PM »

Here is a picture of life imitating art to cheer you up.

Himu

« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2019, 06:26:11 PM »
I want to like Lost in Translation but that movie always puts me to sleep.

I can't blame you.

Honestly, I was neutral on Bill Murray until I saw Lost In Translation. Apparently he's proud of the role.

IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2019, 06:27:41 PM »

I like that the Ghanese coin in the picture has a book about blood diamonds on it.

Himu

« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2019, 06:30:24 PM »
Idk maybe make a case for lost in translation instead of sarcastic quips :idont

I’m going to work.

IYKYK

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2019, 07:35:49 PM »
Have you considered the fact that their casual irreverent American racism is incidentally very realistic? And why are you always talking about white. Are you trying to say that black people are typically highly respectful of the Japanese? Sorry Cindi but you're way off on this one.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2019, 07:50:13 PM »
Are you trying to say that black people are typically highly respectful of the Japanese?

:what
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2019, 07:59:02 PM »
Have you considered the fact that their casual irreverent American racism is incidentally very realistic? And why are you always talking about white. Are you trying to say that black people are typically highly respectful of the Japanese? Sorry Cindi but you're way off on this one.

Nope. Black people are racist to Asians too. But black people don’t make movies about how their life sucks and are isolated as they stay inside their hotel rooms bitching about the native people.

I don’t buy “that’s the point”. The characters are still very not relatable to me.

“That’s the point” is often a white American argument. Like the time Sarah Silverman got in black face to see who gets more racism: Jewish or black people. So she gets in black face and in front of a black church and shit to give a sermon on racism. Sarah tried to make a “point” about how much racism black people face by doing a racist act - getting in black face. This is a very white thing to do. While this works for comedy - blazing saddles - it’s hard to pull off in drama and unlike Sarah Silverman who relinquished that bad episode of her show, Bill Murray and Sofia Coppola and et al have been celebrated.

It’s beautifully shot and I like the tone but the message - if any - on top of plotting, and characters aren’t my thing.

Later in her career, Sofia garnered criticism by making a period piece about the white slave masters of slaves and doesn’t feature one Slavs or their hardship. She opined,”that’s the point!!”

So yes, white people. There are certain films that are celebrated that I just don’t get because the world view is way, way different than mine and they were curated in a white liberal bubble.
IYKYK

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2019, 08:00:27 PM »
Every Cindi thread: "Fight me"
每天生气

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2019, 08:00:35 PM »
What's wrong with that statement? Cindi's in here saying "lol white ppl" as though it wasn't all Americans that are immature casual racists. Lost in Translation is very accurate in it's portrayal of American tourists of any race who hide behind the language barrier to be as rude as they'd like with no consequences.

Himu

« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2019, 08:14:30 PM »
What's wrong with that statement? Cindi's in here saying "lol white ppl" as though it wasn't all Americans that are immature casual racists. Lost in Translation is very accurate in it's portrayal of American tourists of any race who hide behind the language barrier to be as rude as they'd like with no consequences.

So that makes it a good movie? The movie doesn’t make it aware they even care much less are in the wrong. In fact, the film treats them as if they're in the right 
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2019, 08:15:03 PM »
Every Cindi thread: "Fight me"

I made a thread asking a legitimate question and you attacked me.

Shut the fuck up.
IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2019, 08:15:48 PM »
Wtf, when?
每天生气

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2019, 08:29:42 PM »

So that makes it a good movie? The movie doesn’t make it aware they even care much less are in the wrong. In fact, the film treats them as if they're in the right

The film doesn't "treat them" at all. There's no message besides "being overseas is lonely and discombobulating". The movie is slice-of-life at best (don't watch Somewhere).

Later in her career, Sofia garnered criticism by making a period piece about the white slave masters of slaves and doesn’t feature one Slavs or their hardship. She opined,”that’s the point!!”

I havn't seen it, but I know the plot. The fact that the book only had one black character and the adaption didn't need them shows it wasn't about slavery.

So yes, white people. There are certain films that are celebrated that I just don’t get because the world view is way, way different than mine and they were curated in a white liberal bubble.

The same liberal bubble that argued 12 Years a Slave was "exploitation" or "disregarded women" or "shouldn't have had a white saviour". These parasites live off controversy, and seem to hate art. You can never win with a film critic trying thier darnedest to hate something. Don't envy these people Cindi.

If you had argued Lost in Translation was slow and boring, i'd respect that opinion.

Himu

« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2019, 08:32:19 PM »
Transhuman:

In blazing saddles when they call the sheriff ni-gger Gene Wilder’s character and other things make it obvious they’re in the wrong. In Lost in Translation there is nothing in the script nor the films cinematographic language to hint that they’re in the wrong. Which shows that Coppola doesn’t *think* she’s in the wrong. Watch the Rat Pack clip I supplied above. To my memory there is no indication, cinematically, that Murray is in the wrong. In fact the cinematography remains neutral. Within the script however they make an expense of the Japanese and the overall message is,”these people are weird lol”. It’s just xenophobia and racism hyper focused. They suffer zero consequences and the movie doesn’t dismiss their behavior. In fact, it revels in it.

Wtf, when?

Either way, I made the thread asking a genuine question and people - if not you - attacked me for it. Some Jack ass even comes out of the woodwork trying to question my film knowledge and accused of liking Tyler Perry movies but you come in and have the audacity to say it’s my inherent goal to fight people.

Fuck off.
IYKYK

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2019, 08:34:12 PM »
Americans are xenophobic and racist, dummy

Himu

« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2019, 08:34:41 PM »
You are aware film is a method of communication, right?
IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2019, 08:34:42 PM »
Don't be whack, we're all friends.
每天生气

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2019, 08:39:25 PM »
Personally I know when someone is a dick, I don't need a voice-over telling me.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2019, 09:55:52 PM »
In my effort to troll I should have finished Groundhog’s Day before adding it to the list.

I made a thread asking a legitimate question and you attacked me.

Shut the fuck up.

:gopnik
dog

Propagandhim

« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2019, 10:03:17 PM »

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2019, 10:04:44 PM »
nah it's just getting good

shosta

« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2019, 10:15:28 PM »

每天生气

samir

« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2019, 10:16:30 PM »
Cindy, sweetie, for a self proclaimed film buff you're not very good at analyzing them.

Maybe you should spend some more time actually watching the screen and stop browsing on your phone.

Himu

« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2019, 10:17:18 PM »
Personally I know when someone is a dick, I don't need a voice-over telling me.

:lol said nothing about a voice over.

You are really struggling articulating your point. In film, dicks have consequences. And if they don’t, it’s shown they’re obviously bad people. In Pulp Fiction we know they’re gangsters.

Film communication:

Watch Apocalypse Now’s intro.

What’s the message? Emphasis on message. It’s that war is hell. He starts to blur the lines between the ceiling fan and the helicopter blades. This is creative intent to make an audience feel a certain way.

How is this communicated? Visually.

Film is a visual medium. Which is why cinematography often makes dicks look like dicks.

Even without the visuals, often dicks are called out as such. For instance Always Sunny’s first episode we learn they’re complete racists and this is obvious by their  behavior. But the script reinforces it by having people regularly call them out as horrible people. Their actions have consequences.

This is creative intent.

You’re trying to say “that’s the point” but there’s nothing in the script to show that’s the point. If anything, the racism is a side thing from the isolation. Bill Murray is isolated from his wife and son and misses his sons birthday. He isn’t calling. We know he’s a dick there, but ScarJo’s character isn’t doing anything like that. Her husband is off doing his job and she’s getting all existential and shit.

Show me how that’s the point of the film.

Because films - good films - reinforce their subject matter.

You’re saying the point is that American’s are racist and xenophobic but the film makes no attempt to call that behavior out as bad.

Your analysis is highly interpretative.

Rewatch the scene again.

Who wins the scene? How is it in any way an indictment on American tourists? What’s the messaging? It basically messages that Japanese people are weirdos.

If what you said were true it would be reinforced in the film. It’s not. Why would it be reinforced? Because film is a visual medium.

I highly suggest thinking of film in a more analytical manner. Start here. Also: low and high angles.

We are arguing two different things.

I maintain that Lost in Translation is the whitest film I’ve seen sans Birth of a Nation and Jackass: The Movie.

It stars two highly privileged Americans being assholes in a foreign nation in a drama that casts them in a sympathetic light with no reason to care about them. Yet many people find it “relatable”. Bad movie.

If I came off as an asshole in this post it’s only because you called me a dummy.
IYKYK

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2019, 10:28:41 PM »
Rewatch the scene again.

Who wins the scene? How is it in any way an indictment on American tourists? What’s the messaging? It basically messages that Japanese people are weirdos.

Murray is trying to do what is asked but the language barrier is making it slightly hard to understand. Murray is trying to play off the awkwardness by being aloof, but realizes they're missing the nuance and he's sortof talking to himself. The takeaway from this scene is that Murray feels like a prop and doesn't feel engaged in the process.

Edit: I meant dummy endearingly.  :fbm

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2019, 10:32:16 PM »
I haven't seen Lost In Translation since it came out a billion years ago and I have a rule about not trusting any opinions I haven't revisited in the last decade, but I always thought the setting and the two main characters' interaction with it was meant to mirror the alienation they already felt in their personal lives and this was pretty clear?

Also, there's an obvious joke about how if you made the movie today ScarJo would be playing one of the Japanese characters but I'm too classy to make it.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2019, 10:41:36 PM »

How do you get "Japanese people are weirdos" from that?  It's entirely about the the lack of understanding in the language between Murray's character and the director- a literal example of the film's title. 

I haven't seen Lost In Translation since it came out a billion years ago and I have a rule about not trusting any opinions I haven't revisited in the last decade, but I always thought the setting and the two main characters' interaction with it was meant to mirror the alienation they already felt in their personal lives and this was pretty clear?

100% correct.  The title refers to both the culture/language they don't understand and how their lives/family relationships have turned out.
ど助平

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2019, 10:52:20 PM »
Quote from: Sofa
I thought it was too big of a subject to brush over lightly, so I decided not to have that character at all
Hooolyyy Shiiit.
Hi

Himu

« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2019, 11:04:07 PM »

How do you get "Japanese people are weirdos" from that?  It's entirely about the the lack of understanding in the language between Murray's character and the director- a literal example of the film's title. 

100% correct.  The title refers to both the culture/language they don't understand and how their lives/family relationships have turned out.

Because the scene isn’t done in a vacuum. They stew the whole film about how different japan is.

Off the top of my head one quote is,”I’m never coming back here.” And they riff on how odd Japanese people are while watching Japanese tv. They’re basically sitting in a room going “I hate this place.”

And yet the film casts them sympathetic individuals.

They bitch about going to a Japanese restaurant where you cook your food and just riff on it.

There’s even a part where Bill gets on Japanese tv with Japanese “Johnny Carson” and the message is basically,”god this place is fucked up.”

The LOL JAPANESE GET L’S AND R’s MIXED UP continues

You can argue it from the stance of “they have depression” but I’ve seen far better representations of depression, such as on Bojack Horseman.

It’s pretty easy to see it as a judgement on Japanese people and culture.

If Sofia Coppola wanted to make a film about isolation, I get that. But the foreign nation thing completely detracts from her message. No shit a foreign nation is different. There’s like two story threads going on: them dealing with life and them hating that they’re stuck in japan. And they’re rarely miserable *because* they’re in japan so it feels like a pointless setting.

Watch the film in full with fresh eyes. I view it as racist and xenophobic. :idont
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2019, 11:05:41 PM »
Quote from: Sofa
I thought it was too big of a subject to brush over lightly, so I decided not to have that character at all
Hooolyyy Shiiit.

:dead

Told you.

Cac Filmmaker.

Shallow director.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2019, 11:22:58 PM »
Sofia Coppola didn't make that movie to rip on Japan- she loved her time spent there and that was one of the reasons why she made the movie in the first place.

Wikipedia has all this stuff summarized.

Coppola devised the idea of Lost in Translation after many visits to Tokyo in her twenties, basing much of the story on her experiences there.  Coppola was attracted to the neon lights of Tokyo and has described the Park Hyatt Tokyo, where most of the film's interior sequences take place, as one of her "favorite places in the world".  Particularly, she was attracted to its quietness, design, and "combination of different cultures", which include a New York bar and French restaurant.

Coppola has called the film a "valentine" to Tokyo,  in which she has displayed the city in the way that it is meaningful to her.

I remember having these weeks there that were sort of enchanting and weird ... Tokyo is so disorienting, and there's a loneliness and isolation. Everything is so crazy, and the jet lag is torture. I liked the idea of juxtaposing a midlife crisis with that time in your early 20s when you're, like, What should I do with my life?

—Sofia Coppola, 2003

But you're certainly not alone in your criticism.  There's a lot of polarizing viewpoints on it though.
Hawaiian filmmaker and author E. Koohan Paik wrote that "The Japanese are presented not as people, but as clowns" and that "Lost in Translation relies wholly on the 'otherness' of the Japanese to give meaning to its protagonists, shape to its plot, and color to its scenery. The inaccessibility of Japan functions as an extension of the alienation and loneliness Bob and Charlotte feel in their personal lives, thus laying the perfect conditions for romance to germinate: they're the only ones who understand each other. Take away the cartooniness of the Japanese and the humor falls flat, the main characters' intense yearning is neutralized and the plot evaporates."

Katz responded to some of the criticism by saying "Sofia's love of Japan and love of the people that she's met there is incredibly evident in the film... Literally, we recounted experiences that I think all of us had gone through," and that none of the scenes were "any slight to Japanese people."
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2019, 11:26:17 PM »
This reminds me of when I bought a copy of the movie to show my wife while living over there.  I teared up at the end.  Not because of the movie's ending, but because I had seen the film in the theater with my dad and it suddenly made me miss my family like crazy.
 :tocry
ど助平

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2019, 11:26:47 PM »
If Sofia Coppola wanted to make a film about isolation, I get that. But the foreign nation thing completely detracts from her message.

The point is that their unfamiliar environment pushes them together and adds to the listlessness they feel. I mean I honestly didn't think it was possible for someone to watch the film and not get that.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #116 on: September 29, 2019, 01:15:42 AM »
Can’t wait for a year from now when Cindi will proclaim that LiT is one of the best movies of all time, and that Bill Murray is the greatest actor to walk this earth. Right after turning her guns in to the cops of course. Then she will shower us with never ending screeds on why her opinion is the only one that matters.

Obnoxious reactionary dummy  ::)

Top of page Big Ern:

Margs

kingv

« Reply #117 on: September 29, 2019, 01:22:40 AM »
Cindi is going full reset but she is correct.

Bill Murray is overrated, and has made maybe three good movies all of which were in like the 80sz

Wes Anderson flat out sucks. All of his movies are lame ass movies for white people that only have missionary sex and wear tori Burch flats.

Himu

« Reply #118 on: September 29, 2019, 02:02:12 AM »
Now that I'm home from work I can go right to the script.

PAN the view of Tokyo at night as we hear their conversation:

CHARLOTTE (O.C.)
                         Why do they switch the r's and l's
                         here?

BOB (O.C.)
                         I don't know. My fax said "have a
                         good fright".

CHARLOTTE (O.C.)
                         Let's never come here again, because
                         it would never be as much fun.

BOB (O.C.)
                         Ok, whatever you want.

Here's a list some film about isolation that are actually good and don't feature racism:

Taxi Driver
Tokyo Story
What Time Is It There
Taipei Story
A Single Man
Tony Takitani

It's pretty clear to me that Sophia Coppola was influenced by both Tokyo Story and Taipei Story. Shame about the final product.

Time for some Third Strike.

One of the few films I hate.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 02:22:54 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #119 on: September 29, 2019, 02:17:21 AM »