Author Topic: Elon Musk IS Cybertruck  (Read 30672 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Elon Musk IS Cybertruck
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2019, 03:21:12 PM »
While I doubt anyone is going to mistake one for the other, recently while driving a Honda HR-V passed by and I couldn't help the visual similarities it had to my little-ass Spark Activ (which to note is actually a Korean car).  Particularly the "hidden" rear door latches.

Who copied who here? :thinking
ど助平

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Re: Any one care about Tesla Cybertruck(nopervo)
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2019, 04:28:16 PM »
I do hope this encourages other auto makers to freshen up their dreadfully dated designs. We should nationalize the auto industry for resting at good enough after they made cars sorta aerodynamic 25 years ago. Outside of things like simple tools, in what other field do designs stay basically the same, nearly around the board, for 25 years? Er, how long have Marvel movies been going on again?

This was extremely apparent when I had to get a new car last year after mine got totaled- it's like every car out there is a Honda Fit clone, a (whoever did crossovers first) clone, or a big-ass bulky SUV.  The few sedan and coupe types left also all look like each other.  Especially the Hondas and Toyotas.  There's just a couple of sports cars that stand out from the pack, but even they all haven't changed much to keep that iconic look, I guess.   

"Generic" design isn't going to stop me from getting a vehicle (unless there is something comparable with a better or unique look), but it's just so boring.  Reminds of mobile phone design post-iPhone.

Toyota has actually really cool designs now

New RAV4, new Corolla, CHR

The 2020 Corolla and Civic look similar enough that you could swap the emblems and nobody would notice.   :P 

(Image removed from quote.)

When I was image searching, the first for both that popped up were even the same shade of light blue.  :lol

Im talking about the euro Corrolla hatchback not the lame US version

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2019, 04:34:57 PM »
It looks like a cyberpunk space tank  :rejoice
🤴

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2019, 05:10:54 PM »
Last time someone took a big swing we got the Avalanche. Oof.

You can tell who's forgotten the late 90s through mid-00s. :donot

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2019, 05:36:59 PM »
Yea, my timeline is all fucked up. I thought the Avalanche was released in the mid 00's, but it was much earlier than that.

Also, I forgot about the recent Jeep Gladiator. Which looks absolutely awful.

agrajag

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2019, 05:49:24 PM »
more like Cybercuck amirte?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2019, 06:14:02 PM »
Just imagine changing lanes with this thing. everyone will just gtfo by default.

"Sir you're driving over the speed limit"

"I'm sorry officer, I'm cybercop and you sir have no jurisdiction in Cybertron  8)"
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2019, 07:02:33 PM »
wrong thread

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2019, 07:10:56 PM »
Elon musk transformation

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2019, 08:44:27 PM »
The 2020 Corolla and Civic look similar enough that you could swap the emblems and nobody would notice.   :P 

When I was image searching, the first for both that popped up were even the same shade of light blue.  :lol

While I doubt anyone is going to mistake one for the other, recently while driving a Honda HR-V passed by and I couldn't help the visual similarities it had to my little-ass Spark Activ (which to note is actually a Korean car).  Particularly the "hidden" rear door latches.

Who copied who here? :thinking
These are probably made in the same factories. :-[
Hi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2019, 08:44:54 PM »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2019, 08:48:12 PM »
I do hope this encourages other auto makers to freshen up their dreadfully dated designs. We should nationalize the auto industry for resting at good enough after they made cars sorta aerodynamic 25 years ago. Outside of things like simple tools, in what other field do designs stay basically the same, nearly around the board, for 25 years? Er, how long have Marvel movies been going on again?

This was extremely apparent when I had to get a new car last year after mine got totaled- it's like every car out there is a Honda Fit clone, a (whoever did crossovers first) clone, or a big-ass bulky SUV.  The few sedan and coupe types left also all look like each other.  Especially the Hondas and Toyotas.  There's just a couple of sports cars that stand out from the pack, but even they all haven't changed much to keep that iconic look, I guess.   

"Generic" design isn't going to stop me from getting a vehicle (unless there is something comparable with a better or unique look), but it's just so boring.  Reminds of mobile phone design post-iPhone.

It's cute that you think it's a Euro-thing.

OK, hatchback styles:

More of a different look but still very much that "every hatchback" style. 

At least the Type-R looks different-ish.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 08:54:15 PM by pork »
ど助平

agrajag

« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2019, 08:53:58 PM »
Honda has been evolving towards this style for a long time, Toyota's ripping them off

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2019, 08:55:36 PM »
Honda has been evolving towards this style for a long time, Toyota's ripping them off

I miss Scion.  :'(

ど助平

agrajag

« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2019, 08:58:12 PM »

the FR-S was fresh af

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2019, 09:00:11 PM »

the FR-S was fresh af

That lives on since they just changed the name to the Toyota 86, which it went by in most other countries.  And some of the Yaris hatchback models have that Scion look, but I don't like that "angry fish" grill.
ど助平

agrajag

« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2019, 09:09:03 PM »

the FR-S was fresh af

That lives on since they just changed the name to the Toyota 86, which it went by in most other countries.  And some of the Yaris hatchback models have that Scion look, but I don't like that "angry fish" grill.

the increasingly large grills are a trend I hate. Lexus and BMW are the biggest offenders imo, Audi had a period of obscene grills also, but I think they dialed it down

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2019, 09:54:20 PM »
I thought modern cars had to implement a rounded front by law.  :thinking

The US literally doesn't have a single pedestrian protection regulation for vehicle manufacturing.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2017/12/07/while-other-countries-mandate-safer-car-designs-for-pedestrians-america-does-nothing/
So why is nobody driving around in Mad Max-style cars?!  :'(

Tasty

« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2019, 10:49:34 PM »
I thought modern cars had to implement a rounded front by law.  :thinking

The US literally doesn't have a single pedestrian protection regulation for vehicle manufacturing.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2017/12/07/while-other-countries-mandate-safer-car-designs-for-pedestrians-america-does-nothing/
So why is nobody driving around in Mad Max-style cars?!  :'(

The invisible hand of capitalism, I'm afraid.

Also, give it a few years, a Max Max post-apocalypse is one of the more likely scenarios for America in the near-future.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2019, 11:48:09 PM »
Cybertruck sounds like an mid 90’s tv show that was canceled after 3 episodes about a guy with an AI controlled truck that fights crime.
©@©™

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2019, 12:06:01 AM »
Cybertruck sounds like an mid 90’s tv show that was canceled after 3 episodes about a guy with an AI controlled truck that fights crime.
I'd watch that. Tell me you wouldn't?
Spud

bluemax

« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2019, 12:15:17 AM »
Imagine thinking Elon Musk is capable of doing anything but spending mommy and daddy's ill gotten money.
NO

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2019, 12:16:18 AM »
https://jalopnik.com/a-deep-look-at-the-design-of-tesla-s-cybertruck-1839993654

Very interesting article. It suggests that the reason it has the straight lines is for ease of manufacturing as Tesla may not have the tooling to stamp curved/corrugated metal panels. That's why these panels need to be 3X thicker than the typical car body panels. Oh and straight panels resonate when you get up to highway speed.

So this thing is going to be noisy and heavy/slow/underpowered. For the sake of maximizing production capacity.

So the perfect storm would be:

• It's a terrible car to actually drive due to the weight and noise issues
  • Tesla engineers/employees hate it because it becomes their best-selling vehicle but is objectively their worst vehicle
  • Tesla competitors hate it because it dominates the EV truck market without actually doing anything well
  • As usual, it takes multiple years longer than estimated before the production capacity and cost to manufacture match what Tesla promises

I'm not making a prediction or anything. I just think that would be funny.

Coax

« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2019, 12:27:57 AM »
Interesting aspects to me:

- The body seemingly being more dent resilient. Having mostly flat lines also would make it easy to vinyl wrap.
-  Audacity to make and sell what has pretty much been limited to concept art/non-production vehicles for past few decades. It's true that few modern vehicle designs take such risks, regardless of their ultimate popularity (read that Elon has stated he'll be changing the design if sales are too low). Having curiosities like this on the road are more interesting from a variety PoV than necessarily desiring one personally.

Dislikes:

- Automotive aspects can only be repaired by Tesla afaik rather than any third-party. This affects all their vehicles tbf.
- The dash looking like a faux marble laminate countertop and along with the non-integrated monitor makes it look rather tacky and crude than a sleek minimalism.
- The practicality of the steering wheel shape.
- With the camera exclusive solution it currently has if anything fucks up you're left without much fallback, especially given the limited rear visibility.

Offensive:

- The logo. Saw that it's used for the on board OS as well so potentially is more than just some promotional graphic. It's not even that I necessarily dislike what they were vaguely aiming for but it shows no understanding of balance or letter forms. Literal chicken scratch.

Misc:

- From what I've read the lack of side mirrors and the brake light being integrated entirely on the tailgate is illegal in the US :doge Along with the eventual addition of some kind of wipers I'm curious how much will change in the design a few years from now.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2019, 01:28:46 AM »

It's cute that you think it's a Euro-thing.

OK, hatchback styles:

More of a different look but still very much that "every hatchback" style. 

At least the Type-R looks different-ish.

I didnt say its a euro thing, but I showed the euro model :) which imho is more stylish then the us one.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2019, 03:38:35 AM »
Yea, my timeline is all fucked up. I thought the Avalanche was released in the mid 00's, but it was much earlier than that.

Also, I forgot about the recent Jeep Gladiator. Which looks absolutely awful.

Was making a dig at the "why no experimental trucks?" contingent with that, sorry. Remembering the Avalanche at all is an achievement. :lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I kind of want to own a Jeep Rubicon solely to hang dice from the rearview mirror and get maybe 1 chuckle from a Roman historian.
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2019, 05:52:49 AM »
- From what I've read the lack of side mirrors and the brake light being integrated entirely on the tailgate is illegal in the US :doge Along with the eventual addition of some kind of wipers I'm curious how much will change in the design a few years from now.
That just makes it more enticing to own one and in the US that's nothing President Yang or Trump can't fix with an EO after a factory tour.  8)
I suspect the newly created Space Force will buy a bunch of these as well to be on brand. 

In the EU these will be luxury cars for the higher classes anyway and anything goes there as long as you have it tested in Greece or Cyprus.  :doge
🤴

Occam

« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2019, 08:57:47 AM »
anyone who thinks this looks nice should die in prison

Anyone who thinks this looks bad never watched an 80s cyberpunk movie with art by Syd Mead. :ufup

Don't you dare insult Syd Mead like this.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2019, 09:04:19 AM »
I didnt say its a euro thing, but I showed the euro model :) which imho is more stylish then the us one.

It's the same car (body).  :lol  Your photo is from some car show with it looking way more polished and lit up.  You can get that same dual color scheme in 'Murica too.
ど助平

agrajag

« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2019, 09:10:47 AM »
someone asked Tesla why the car doesn't crumple on impact, as that would be safer, and they are working on an answer  :doge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2019, 10:30:41 AM »
someone asked Tesla why the car doesn't crumple on impact, as that would be safer, and they are working on an answer  :doge
It wouldn't look as cool  :yeshrug
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2019, 10:46:00 AM »
It wouldn't look as cool  :yeshrug

sure, it'll be cool when your entire body bounces around in it like a pinball when you crash, Nintex

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2019, 11:13:17 AM »

link?

agrajag

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2019, 11:39:28 AM »
The Cybertruck says, “Pack up your blasters, honey—let’s get the hell out of here.” Maybe that’s the genius, though, to make a truck for the sort of people who might not think of Tesla otherwise. Does that person exist? At the very least, says Walton, “I really admire the balls.”

:rejoice
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2019, 02:32:37 PM »
yeah, no.

Cauliflower Of Love

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2019, 03:33:54 PM »
anyone who thinks this looks nice should die in prison

Anyone who thinks this looks bad never watched an 80s cyberpunk movie with art by Syd Mead. :ufup

Don't you dare insult Syd Mead like this.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/blade-runners-syd-mead-says-cybertruck-exceeds-expectations-2019-11?r=US&IR=T
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2019, 03:42:35 PM »
reminds me more of the industrial ATVs like Kanye used in his Follow God video with a futuristic flair.

I think I'd prefer the interior was more incongruous with the exterior for extra effect. #dualitiesofexistence
◕‿◕

agrajag

« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2019, 03:51:18 PM »
expectations for what  :doge

naff

« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2019, 03:58:32 PM »
also has some strong brutalist elements. def piqued my interest. hope it's not the death of tesla lol.

wired article was good. "lack of visible crumple zone" concerns experts, and the straight panelling likely cuts down on expensive tooling costs hence 40k entry point.
◕‿◕

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2019, 03:58:37 PM »
https://twitter.com/ow_tester/status/1198217436811669504
Zammit realized then that the truck’s DeLorean-mated-with-a-Pontiac-Aztek aesthetic might be an effort to streamline the manufacturing process. “By being philosophically so pure and so functional, Tesla has completely eliminated a very large part of what is the traditional automotive assembly,” he says. The company might cut down on expensive tool and die costs by keeping all elements of the car flat, straight, and, frankly, a little weird looking. “Musk might be pulling off one of the most brilliant moves in automotive history,” he says.
Now it all makes sense to me.

Except for the safety concerns.

Kara

« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2019, 04:16:32 PM »
Zammit realized then that the truck’s DeLorean-mated-with-a-Pontiac-Aztek aesthetic might be an effort to streamline the manufacturing process. “By being philosophically so pure and so functional, Tesla has completely eliminated a very large part of what is the traditional automotive assembly,” he says. The company might cut down on expensive tool and die costs by keeping all elements of the car flat, straight, and, frankly, a little weird looking. “Musk might be pulling off one of the most brilliant moves in automotive history,” he says.

Starting to think that like learning, bullying nerds should be a lifetime pursuit of all persons. (Except nerds of course.)

agrajag

« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2019, 04:29:42 PM »
also has some strong brutalist elements. def piqued my interest. hope it's not the death of tesla lol.

wired article was good. "lack of visible crumple zone" concerns experts, and the straight panelling likely cuts down on expensive tooling costs hence 40k entry point.

visible? How about the lack of physical lack of it when it's being beat with a sledgehammer as a demonstration of its rigidity?

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2019, 04:41:01 PM »

visible? How about the lack of physical lack of it when it's being beat with a sledgehammer as a demonstration of its rigidity?

Crumple zones aren't on doors. That's the CAGE OF LIFE ZONE™

agrajag

« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2019, 04:42:16 PM »
well I've been owned

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2019, 04:52:56 PM »
There's a transformer named crumple zone

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:SpeedStars_NightAttack_Crumplezone.jpg

:rofl

I wonder if agrajag designed it :thinking

agrajag

« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2019, 04:55:37 PM »
I've designed cars that look like the Tesla truck

naff

« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2019, 04:57:09 PM »
I bet you've painted works on par with Pollock too
◕‿◕

agrajag

« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2019, 05:01:04 PM »
yes, when I was five

naff

« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2019, 05:02:34 PM »
says it all really. you're a savant
◕‿◕

agrajag

« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2019, 05:03:44 PM »
nah pollock is just garbo

Kara

« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2019, 05:23:18 PM »
agrajag trashing CIA art :ussrcry

agrajag

« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2019, 05:30:38 PM »
I don't know if he was a spook, I just know his art looks like he just dumped buckets of paint on the canvas and called it a day

Kara

« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2019, 05:40:15 PM »

agrajag

« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2019, 05:41:06 PM »
I think one spook-sponsored thing all of us can agree on not enjoying is John Krasinski projects

Kara

« Reply #116 on: November 23, 2019, 05:41:09 PM »
It's ok to like things astroturfed by spooks. For example we all enjoy foucault here. and call of duty

The let people enjoy things comic but it's the CIA and a periphery government trying to do land reform.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #117 on: November 23, 2019, 05:55:57 PM »
Not a pickup but

Hyaundi South Korean superiority  :mouf
:9

agrajag

« Reply #118 on: November 23, 2019, 05:58:08 PM »
that looks more futuristic and less dumb

naff