Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1072610 times)

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Please scream inside your heart
« Reply #11160 on: July 30, 2020, 06:15:26 PM »
yeah, cain was already a sack of shit, but learning he was responsible for that minimum wage exception that has caused god only knows how much pain over the last 24 years? fuck that motherfucker and everyone who cared about him. worthless sack of shit. /glen
pcp

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #11161 on: July 30, 2020, 06:50:17 PM »
glen you dumbass biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh   :lol :lol :lol

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #11162 on: July 30, 2020, 07:09:40 PM »
I miss neogaf tipping threads

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11163 on: July 30, 2020, 07:26:59 PM »
https://twitter.com/kumailn/status/1288975099454877698

“I was beyond optimistic,” said one participant. “My understanding was that the final document would make its way to the president over that weekend” and would result in a “significant announcement.”

But no nationally coordinated testing strategy was ever announced. The plan, according to the participant, “just went poof into thin air.”

Meanwhile, Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House’s coronavirus response coordinator, was reportedly sharing models with senior staff that optimistically—and erroneously, it would turn out—predicted the virus would soon fade away.

Most troubling of all, perhaps, was a sentiment the expert said a member of Kushner’s team expressed: that because the virus had hit blue states hardest, a national plan was unnecessary and would not make sense politically. “The political folks believed that because it was going to be relegated to Democratic states, that they could blame those governors, and that would be an effective political strategy,” said the expert.

:idont

🤴

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #11164 on: July 30, 2020, 07:42:41 PM »
"We'll let it hit the blue states, then people will BEG for Trump to be re-elected."

Uh... that's not how it works, you dense fuckers.

God, how does ToxicAdam deal with this shit?

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #11165 on: July 30, 2020, 07:55:11 PM »
Wut, that can't be a real quote. There's cities in red states as well. And the rural areas in red and blue states are getting hit just as hard right now.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #11166 on: July 30, 2020, 07:57:38 PM »
Most troubling of all, perhaps, was a sentiment the expert said a member of Kushner’s team expressed: that because the virus had hit blue states hardest, a national plan was unnecessary and would not make sense politically. “The political folks believed that because it was going to be relegated to Democratic states, that they could blame those governors, and that would be an effective political strategy,” said the expert.

©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11167 on: July 30, 2020, 08:01:57 PM »
Wut, that can't be a real quote. There's cities in red states as well. And the rural areas in red and blue states are getting hit just as hard right now.

Yes, but on the other hand these are very stupid people.
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11168 on: July 30, 2020, 08:03:59 PM »
There's also only one member of that team who could've reached that conclusion and in turn had a chance to scuttle the plan: Jared Kushner.
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11169 on: July 30, 2020, 08:08:38 PM »
The first wave hammered NY/NJ/CT/MA and was pretty bad in MI/IL/PA/MD/DE. Louisiana was the only red state that got hit hard by the first spike and they have a Dem governor.

This was a really widespread talking point and it's not surprising at all the White House took it into account. They're dumb as shit and petty as shit.

Tripon

« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 09:04:07 PM by Tripon »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11171 on: July 30, 2020, 09:26:44 PM »
"It's not so bad if it's hitting big cities in blue states" should probably be read as "it's not so bad if it's hitting black people," right?

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #11172 on: July 30, 2020, 09:31:01 PM »
I don't think you have to go that far when polarization has done enough to dehumanize everybody

Although I'm sure "black people are disproportionately affected by this" didn't bother them in the slightest
每天生气

Tripon

« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 10:42:36 PM by Tripon »

Oblivion

« Reply #11174 on: July 30, 2020, 11:39:55 PM »

"they're not hurting the people they need to be hurting!"  :six:

shosta

« Reply #11175 on: July 31, 2020, 03:49:24 AM »
maybe I won't be able to transfer :notlikethis
每天生气

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #11176 on: July 31, 2020, 04:00:57 AM »
Don't worry, there is a long list of highly successful people that never finished/quit school: Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Jeffrey Epstein, etc
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

BisMarckie

« Reply #11178 on: July 31, 2020, 06:56:06 AM »
Positive covid tests are seeing an upswing all over Yurop. It’s still on a relatively small scale, but I have the feeling we are setting up a nice second wave during the fall  :-\

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #11179 on: July 31, 2020, 07:03:05 AM »
Positive covid tests are seeing an upswing all over Yurop. It’s still on a relatively small scale, but I have the feeling we are setting up a nice second wave during the fall  :-\

France just granted prefects the right to enact mask wearing in public open air spaces (on top of the mandatory masks in public enclosed spaces that have been passed as a national regulation). Reproduction rate is back over 1. And as I experienced myself, testing is still mostly for symptomatic cases or getting flagged in contact tracing.

It's a bit mathematical that reopening, even with cautiousness, was going to push numbers back up. Maybe not a second wave but at the very least this will lingers all 2020.
ὕβρις

thisismyusername

« Reply #11180 on: July 31, 2020, 08:37:35 AM »

US on the executioners balcony: First time?

Sorry to hear that, 21337. On the bright side: At least you might need need to pay off the degree/need the degree when the DOW sinks.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #11181 on: July 31, 2020, 09:57:46 AM »
These motherfuckers really waited until 3 weeks before classes to do this without keeping anyone in the loop, imagine not knowing if you have to reformat your entire class or whether you should move from out-of-state/out-of-town.  :lol

Teachers are frustrated and now have to cover for other professors who have quit or are on leave as a result, and students have to drive from back-to-back physical/hybrid classes to rushing back for a zoom call... additionally classes no longer have any generalized logic to them- my remaining class moved their hours from 12:00-1:55  M T W TH to "MW 5:00pm-6:15pm F 12:30-1:15" and the ones that I'm applying for have a similar structure.

I mean seriously, I'm clicking through all my graduation requirement classes on DegreeWorks and I'm going through our database and all the classes I were recommended (re-affirmed by an advisor meeting this Summer) are just fucking GONE.

Is your college/university/whatever going about the same shosta, or are we a unique brand of :dizzy ?

Edit: Grammarly (for whatever reason) is extremely broken on this site, sorry for any weird writing :lol
What college is this?

We went full online except for stuff that requires physical facilities like labs.

Decision was made July 6 I think
:O

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon

Tripon

« Reply #11184 on: July 31, 2020, 10:51:05 AM »
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 11:24:50 AM by Tripon »

james

« Reply #11185 on: July 31, 2020, 12:14:33 PM »
Oh Florida I thought you meant a real school

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #11186 on: July 31, 2020, 12:40:27 PM »
https://twitter.com/KHOU/status/1289061979882233857

https://abc7news.com/gohmert-jackie-speier-covid19-mask/6343542/

Gohmert slept in office even after testing positive for corona.

You gotta be kidding me.

"Congressman Gohmert's behavior is not only irresponsible, it's dangerous and reckless. He berated his staff for wearing masks and not wanting to be equally reckless. He tested positive the day after he sat in a committee hearing without wearing a mask, endangering others. Even worse, after he knew he had the virus, he called his staff and interns into the office to inform them, went to the member's gym, and then proceeded to sleep in his office-his makeshift home in DC, before informing the public that he tested positive. Which begs the question, where is he going to quarantine? In the same office and building with members, staffers, and congressional employees and U.S. Capitol Police? It's beyond comprehension that anyone would act in this way, let alone a member of Congress."

At what point is this a negligent assault?
rub

Tripon

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11188 on: July 31, 2020, 02:42:20 PM »
https://twitter.com/KHOU/status/1289061979882233857

https://abc7news.com/gohmert-jackie-speier-covid19-mask/6343542/

Gohmert slept in office even after testing positive for corona.

You gotta be kidding me.

"Congressman Gohmert's behavior is not only irresponsible, it's dangerous and reckless. He berated his staff for wearing masks and not wanting to be equally reckless. He tested positive the day after he sat in a committee hearing without wearing a mask, endangering others. Even worse, after he knew he had the virus, he called his staff and interns into the office to inform them, went to the member's gym, and then proceeded to sleep in his office-his makeshift home in DC, before informing the public that he tested positive. Which begs the question, where is he going to quarantine? In the same office and building with members, staffers, and congressional employees and U.S. Capitol Police? It's beyond comprehension that anyone would act in this way, let alone a member of Congress."

At what point is this a negligent assault?

What an absolute ghoul.
dog

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #11189 on: July 31, 2020, 04:22:44 PM »
Hey, Ghoul ended up showing us his hog  :bolo

He’s cool  :pimp
Margs

Tripon

« Reply #11190 on: July 31, 2020, 09:44:20 PM »
https://twitter.com/DiseaseEcology/status/1276023991870709761

Hawaii has one of the lowest rates of Corona amongst the 50 states, so of course they're going to chance it for some tourism dollars.

Tripon

« Reply #11191 on: July 31, 2020, 11:17:21 PM »
CHANDLER, AZ — Parents who don't want their kids to be forced to wear a mask are looking for schools where mask-wearing is an option. Such is the case for Christy Raban, who tells ABC15 she felt like she was part of the "minority" when it came to her children having to wear a mask when they go back to in-person learning.

Raban and about 1,400 other parents are part of a social media group called 'Mask-free Schooling options' that looks for schools where mask-wearing isn't enforced.

"It's the fact that they need to go back to school in person and of course, not be wearing masks," says Raban.

Raban pulled her kids from Fulton Elementary and San Tan Junior High a few weeks ago, after Chandler Unified School District announced teachers and students would be wearing a mask while attending school. She searched school options and went with American Leadership Academy- Gilbert North primarily because of the flexibility on wearing masks.

"They are adamant about if a child wants to wear a mask, that child will be supported and if a child doesn't, they will be too...I'm looking forward to the change, having my kids there," added Raban.

Dr.Rachel Deathrage is a pediatrician who participated in a back-to-school online town hall session on ABC15's Facebook page. She took part in a re-opening task force for a Phoenix school district. During the town hall, Dr. Deathrage said masking is one of the key factors in containing the spread and advised the district that if they went back to school, students and teachers should be wearing masks.

"I know there are a lot of people who are fearful about who should be masking. I just want to reassure everyone that... the CDC already has guidelines that those under 2 shouldn't and those who physically can't remove a mask," said Dr. Deathrage.

ABC15 reached out to the American Leadership Academy to clarify whether they will make mask-wearing an option, given Governor Ducey's Executive Order where he states that schools both public and charter, should have mask-wearing mandates for in-person schooling.

In a statement, the charter school said, "It is not ALA’s intent to mandate a mask policy. However, if on August 17, we are required by law to enforce wearing masks, we will follow the law...we believe that parents are best equipped to make these decisions for the students."

After this statement was issued, we reached out to the ALA once again, asking if the executive order's language serves as the "law." ABC15 did not hear back from the ALA.

https://www.abc15.com/news/getting-back-to-school/charter-school-says-they-wont-mandate-a-mask-policy-as-some-parents-want-options-that-dont-force-mask-use

james

« Reply #11192 on: July 31, 2020, 11:26:12 PM »
 :rage :rage :rage :rage

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11193 on: July 31, 2020, 11:26:18 PM »
You're really burying the lede by not focusing on the article's use a pediatrician named Dr. Rachel DEATHRAGE.
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #11194 on: July 31, 2020, 11:36:30 PM »
:rage :rage :rage :rage indeed
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #11195 on: August 01, 2020, 05:08:05 AM »
Latest TrueAnon episode is all about COVID. It's good.

https://m.soundcloud.com/trueanonpod/covid-cliff
ὕβρις

Tripon

« Reply #11196 on: August 01, 2020, 09:40:59 AM »
https://twitter.com/deshveen/status/1289541915658948608

That's a first. The black plauge gives you immunization against covid? Wut.  :brain

_____

https://twitter.com/thepointsguy/status/1289327960676118528
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:57:56 AM by Tripon »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11197 on: August 01, 2020, 10:06:03 AM »
https://twitter.com/thepointsguy/status/1289327960676118528

How dumb do you have to be to go on a cruise right now? Actual smooth-brains smh
dog

thisismyusername

« Reply #11198 on: August 01, 2020, 10:07:33 AM »
Boomer's don't give a shit about Boomer Remover™, they just want to cruise, goddamn it.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #11199 on: August 01, 2020, 10:19:17 AM »
Sometimes living your best life means being intubated for 20 days. It was gods will.

paprikastaude

« Reply #11200 on: August 01, 2020, 10:26:18 AM »
oops
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 11:05:07 AM by Spieler1 »

thisismyusername

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #11203 on: August 01, 2020, 11:15:24 AM »
Deutschland :hhh

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm sure you can find a concomitant tweet of Parisian morons doing the same. I'm walking through the centre and there's some pretty packed streets with a minority of masks. Two dozen people queueing for ice cream and they're not 1m apart, maskless. I try to not yell at clouds too much but that's below par of sensible safety.
[close]
ὕβρις

BisMarckie

« Reply #11204 on: August 01, 2020, 11:22:25 AM »
Me a couple weeks or months ago:
You can find a couple thousand idiots in every major city, it‘s just signal boosted to hell since it makes for easy headlines.

The only sociologically interesting part is the unholy alliance of right wing extremists and the esoteric left.

Now: There were almost 20,000 people there?
:killme

Tripon

« Reply #11205 on: August 01, 2020, 11:24:25 AM »
Yeah, that's what I figured. Just have to watch out because if you have dumb leaders like in the U.S., they actually get influenced by a very small group and start opening up too early.

james

« Reply #11206 on: August 01, 2020, 11:35:05 AM »
So after what happened in Italy and Spain, France and Germany think it can't happen to them?

BisMarckie

« Reply #11207 on: August 01, 2020, 11:39:15 AM »
Almost 1000 new cases in Germany today. It‘s almost like people took the relatively low infection and death rate for granted and act like this shit never happened.

Really happy that universities already decided in June that the next semester will be online only. Feel bad for the teachers that willl have to go back to schools starting Monday with all students being back and doing regular schooling without masks or soical distancing measures.

Pennywise

« Reply #11208 on: August 01, 2020, 12:17:04 PM »
Almost 1000 new cases in Germany today. It‘s almost like people took the relatively low infection and death rate for granted and act like this shit never happened.

Really happy that universities already decided in June that the next semester will be online only. Feel bad for the teachers that willl have to go back to schools starting Monday with all students being back and doing regular schooling without masks or soical distancing measures.
The numbers would be okay if we had a local cluster, but it's just all over the place and numbers are rising everywhere.

Hopefully we'll get that shit under control when the holiday season is over.

thisismyusername

« Reply #11209 on: August 01, 2020, 12:47:29 PM »
https://twitter.com/sable_sonya/status/1289426088712527872

Demoncraps and Republicunts: "Yep, this is fine." :doge

thisismyusername

« Reply #11210 on: August 01, 2020, 12:54:30 PM »
Great, but that should've been done a while back.

Meanwhile, they're still fighting over Unemployment Benefits and Stimulus. This entire thing has been a shitshow.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #11211 on: August 01, 2020, 12:55:35 PM »
I really feel like stupid people are being weaponized to lower populations at this point :tinfoil

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #11212 on: August 01, 2020, 01:07:28 PM »
So after what happened in Italy and Spain, France and Germany think it can't happen to them?

The media is all over this and a second wave but I think a lot of people sort of spaced out, really. The media noise was so intense I can see why (without excusing). It's also holiday season and it's hard to understate how massive the July-August vacation dogma is for people in France. It's not that hyperbolic to say that people would have rioted if deprived of that after the lockdown and the partial reopening.

There was some loose discipline in regions less impacted during the first wave too, which led to recent spikes there. Anecdotal observations by friends who were there for the lockdown confirmed it to me.
ὕβρις

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11213 on: August 01, 2020, 01:10:53 PM »
*Sees story about a "second wave" in France, checks numbers, sees less new cases per day than in Alabama, a state with less than 1/10th the population*

Fucking every time.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11215 on: August 01, 2020, 01:48:55 PM »
Besides everything else, a wave of evictions in the middle of an airborne pandemic is horrible public health policy, no?

Millions of people temporarily move in with their parents/siblings/kids/friends, you have a bunch of larger households, people unable to properly isolate at home, and more people at risk.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #11216 on: August 01, 2020, 02:06:21 PM »
Besides everything else, a wave of evictions in the middle of an airborne pandemic is horrible public health policy, no?

Millions of people temporarily move in with their parents/siblings/kids/friends, you have a bunch of larger households, people unable to properly isolate at home, and more people at risk.

Bad economic policy too (once you fall into the homeless trap it's difficult to find employment). Not going to jumpstart that hibernating economy with swathes of of low-wage workers unemployable.

shosta

« Reply #11217 on: August 01, 2020, 02:09:52 PM »
public health policy has to be subordinated to the will of a million rentiers who will not and cannot tolerate any change in their lifestyles.
每天生气

BisMarckie

« Reply #11218 on: August 01, 2020, 02:12:53 PM »
public health policy has to be subordinated to the will of a million rentiers who will not and cannot tolerate any change in their lifestyles.
I said it before and I will say it again, I will continue to charge the guy 50 bucks a month for his parking spot even if you guys try to guilt trip me. :hmph

Tripon