Poll

When is MLB going to hell and end this season?

Early August
4 (50%)
Late August
2 (25%)
Early September
0 (0%)
Late September
0 (0%)
lol, they're going to cancel regular season games mid way and immediately start playoffs
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: MLB Baseball Thread: 2020 sucked. 2021 might be better?  (Read 33289 times)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: MLB Baseball 2020: Everyone is mad at the Astros
« Reply #180 on: July 26, 2020, 02:39:36 AM »
:jawalrus
yar

Himu

« Reply #181 on: July 26, 2020, 02:58:58 AM »
Holy shit.

The giants had some AMAZING plays in this game.

Also Mookie has had like two hits in his first three games. Crazy. His BA is in the 1.00's and he's 2 for 11.

Judge has TWO errors in todays game.

Stanton but an incredible home run and just swagged out by looking at it. Nats played some real hard ball.

The Asterisks have won all their games so far.

I have no idea if they'll win the series this year but it'll give them a lot of heat if they do. When regular games with fan attendance comes back they're going to be booed to high heaven.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 03:17:08 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #182 on: July 26, 2020, 03:18:38 AM »

A runner on second in extra innings is WACK and you know it.

Mets will take this series!
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #183 on: July 26, 2020, 10:07:16 AM »

A runner on second in extra innings is WACK and you know it.

Mets will take this series!

Yes it's wack but the second the Mets benefit from it you will 100% be saying "well that's the agreed upon rule"
yar

Himu

« Reply #184 on: July 26, 2020, 11:23:13 AM »
You don't give me enough credit. It fucking sucks period
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #185 on: July 26, 2020, 03:34:01 PM »
Diaz had a good pitch but Ozuna read him like a paper. Wonder how they're going to handle the Ozuna match up tonight!

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/hy8rpy/marcell_ozuna_was_sitting_middle_away_after_edwin/
IYKYK

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #187 on: July 26, 2020, 06:15:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1287498545440776194

Diaz had a good pitch but Ozuna read him like a paper. Wonder how they're going to handle the Ozuna match up tonight!

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/hy8rpy/marcell_ozuna_was_sitting_middle_away_after_edwin/

Good to see our hitters making smart adjustments so quick over a short season

:obama

It's nuts that Ozuna was down to THE LAST STRIKE OF THE GAME and came through

Also the Braves have been without either of our A tier catching platoon (covid precaution after presenting with symptoms) or arguably our two most important bullpen pieces (Will Smith recovering from covid and Mark Melancon dealing with back stiffness) but we're still looking strong
yar

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #188 on: July 26, 2020, 08:05:07 PM »
That’s why the country needed baseball .. Astros schadenfreude.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2020, 08:12:46 PM »
Mets are Mets-ing errywhere

:neogaf
yar

Himu

« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2020, 08:19:27 PM »
LET'S GO METS
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #191 on: July 26, 2020, 09:15:58 PM »
Braves!

:aah

tbh, you should have picked like any other team to be your new rooting interest other than the Mess. The sports media always, always overhypes the Mets and underhypes the Braves, because they're desperate for NYC teams to do well (see: Knicks, New York)

Mets ARE getting better but in a division that has the Braves and last year's world champs? Nah
yar

Himu

« Reply #192 on: July 26, 2020, 10:57:41 PM »
Braves!

:aah

tbh, you should have picked like any other team to be your new rooting interest other than the Mess. The sports media always, always overhypes the Mets and underhypes the Braves, because they're desperate for NYC teams to do well (see: Knicks, New York)

Mets ARE getting better but in a division that has the Braves and last year's world champs? Nah

I love them because they have so much heart and they were already my second team!

Follow your heart rather than the win. The wins will come. I rooted for the Astros even when they were known as the Lastros and the Mets are much, much better than them. The Braves are just much better.

FWIW the Dodgers are my second team now. I have a love for the Dodgers because of their history and Jackie Robinson. They're such a fun team to watch when they're not playing your team.
IYKYK

Tripon

El Babua

« Reply #194 on: July 27, 2020, 09:11:22 AM »

Himu

« Reply #195 on: July 27, 2020, 10:08:28 AM »
Fucking Floridans. Saw that swamp land and let it drift to sea.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 10:44:07 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Tripon

El Babua

« Reply #197 on: July 27, 2020, 11:43:18 AM »
Bought some Draftkings stock in anticipation of Basketball resuming.

10 percent down and I'm still holding the bag. Don't even have to bet on these guys to take an L

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Tasty

Ain't no rule that says a monkey can't play baseball.

BisMarckie

Phillies vs Yankees postponed as well. They are not just going to start the series tomorrow.
What a shitshow, what are they going to do from here on out?

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Gonna have to mandate masks at all times, no exceptions. Seems like they are pretty lax on this (looking in dugouts). I imagine practice and locker rooms are probably mostly mask-free.

BisMarckie

Kinda fiting for the last decade+ of White Sox baseball that the season is over three games in  :corona_rodney

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Play team sports in the middle of a pandemic, brehs. :neogaf
dog

Himu

Japan, Korea, and Europe are absolutely fine. I've been watching NPB and they're perfect safe. Korean league even has fans in attendance now.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon

Japan, Korea, and Europe are absolutely fine. I've been watching NPB and they're perfect safe. Korean league even has fans in attendance now.

Those places were also far more successful in containing community spread before attempting to relaunch their sports leagues than we've been.
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Japan, Korea, and Europe are definitely not in the same kind of "middle of a pandemic" as America is, though.
dog

Himu

true but we are also talking about privileged rich ball boys. Hardly representative of the unwashed American masses. They should be taking every precaution to not get the virus. how it's spreading about them I don't know and it's ridiculous.
IYKYK

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
You’ve clearly never heard chipper jones speak :bolo

Human Snorenado

• Icon
true but we are also talking about privileged rich ball boys. Hardly representative of the unwashed American masses. They should be taking every precaution to not get the virus. how it's spreading about them I don't know and it's ridiculous.

Dude athletes are by and large the dumbest motherfuckers in the world.

That's not really fair; they're hyper specialized geniuses in their fields, but in practical real world matters they basically know nothing, because in order to get as good as they've gotten at sports ball, THAT'S ALL THEY'VE EVER FUCKING DONE SINCE ADOLESCENCE. It's why you see so many buying into dumb shit like flat eartherism and other crap, they don't know anything and if someone they trust like an uncle or business manager tells them something crazy they'll just accept it.

Anyway, point being, an NBA player was dumb enough to go to a strip club while on bereavement leave from the bubble in Orlando and I can pretty much guarantee you these guys in Miami are just wandering around believing they're invincible giving nary a fuck
yar

Tripon

Himu

Four more Marlins infected.

Nuke Florida. They're all dumbasses anyways, nothing will be missed.

Fuck the Marlins and fuck Florida. *spits*
IYKYK

Tripon

Tripon

« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 03:42:49 PM by Tripon »

Himu

METS
IYKYK

Himu

Let's go Mets! Let's go Mets!!!
IYKYK

bluemax

Gonna have to mandate masks at all times, no exceptions. Seems like they are pretty lax on this (looking in dugouts). I imagine practice and locker rooms are probably mostly mask-free.

The in the stands social distancing isn't even being properly enforced. And the Marlins weren't testing daily. Nothing is being enforced the way they claimed it would be.
NO

Himu

Mets win! 8-3! :heart
IYKYK

Tripon

Major League Baseball on Tuesday after at least 17 Miami Marlins players tested positive for COVID-19 between Opening Day and Tuesday.

The root of the Marlins' sudden outbreak hasn't been confirmed, but according to USA Today baseball insider Bob Nightengale, it started in Atlanta.

During an appearance in the 5:00-5:15 block on 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh, Nightengale reported that "at least" one Marlins player, possibly more, left the team hotel and went out while in Atlanta, days before the season began.

Here's the report, verbatim, from Nightengale:

I think it's a wake-up call for all the other teams, saying, 'You'd better not go out at night.' Because if you bring it in, you've got a chance to knock off the season by yourself.

[...]

Well, I think a couple guys went out in Atlanta. That's what happened. I don't think it was any kind of fluke, from the bus driver or a pilot, any of that. I believe some guys got careless, at least one guy did for sure, he went out, and came back positive and spread it around.

Major League Baseball and the Marlins have yet to publicly discuss the cause of the team's outbreak.

The Marlins and Braves played an exhibition in Atlanta on July 22, which the Marlins won, 6-2. The Phillies opened their season against the Marlins, in Philadelphia, two days later.

The Marlins reportedly decided via group text to finish their season against the Phillies on Sunday, even after the team's expected starting pitcher tested positive for COVID-19, according to the Inquirer.

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp issued an executive order in late June easing restrictions on restaurant capacities and employee face mask requirements.

Interestingly, Clippers guard and former Philadelphia 76er Lou Williams also recently decided to go out in Atlanta amid his respective sport's comeback attempt. Williams was spending time away from the NBA's Orlando bubble last week when he visited a strip club, and was subsequently placed in a 10-day quarantine by the league.
https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/miami-marlins-players-went-out-atlanta-covid-19-outbreak-mlb-report
https://twitter.com/RyryJones/status/1288155062410383360

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Should've gone to that cyberpunk drive-thru strip club.
dog

Florida was a mistake.

As for my team, 1-4 baby!! GoMs!!
野球

Himu

IYKYK

BisMarckie

Florida was a mistake.

As for my team, 1-4 baby!! GoMs!!

1-4 bros :respect

I normally wouldn’t be worried about a 1-4 start, but since that means  almost 10% of the games have already been played, I am prepared to jump off a tall building next week.

El Babua

Marlins still Number 1 in the NL East baby

Lonewulfeus

Tied for first with the mets :bolo

Marlins still Number 1 in the NL East baby

Can't lose games if you don't play games.
野球

Human Snorenado

• Icon
re: extra innings rule change

It depends on how much the players hate it, at the end of next season there's a new CBA to be negotiated between the union and owners.

Honestly I don't mind it. It's not as fair as the NBA but more fair than the NFL or using penalty kicks/shots in soccer or hockey. Probably about on par with college football.
yar

Himu

Disgust
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Hockey shootouts are way fairer than soccer ones.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Disgust

Pardon my failure to take seriously the opinion of someone claiming to be a baseball purist that also only became a serious fan in the last 5 years  ::)
yar

Himu

I became a serious fan in college over ten years ago but like trolling you.  :-* I went to Astros spring training games and suffered through the Lastros years

while it's true I haven't been a lifelong baseball fan there is no need to be upset

Mets had a good game! They almost turned it around after completely fucking it up! Well earned win for the Red Sox.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 01:04:44 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

BisMarckie

The extra inning rule exposed just how terrible today‘s teams are at executing small ball.  :kermit

Lonewulfeus

Three true outcomes, thanks Brad Pitt  :goty

BisMarckie

I also hoped that MLB would abolish the juiced ball, but seeing some of the homers hit the past week, it‘s here to stay :goty

Just like in life, 30 is the new 20 :rodney

Himu

The extra inning rule exposed just how terrible today‘s teams are at executing small ball.  :kermit

You can only hit homer or not but homer, right? Right? Bassball = home run, yes? Si?

Precisely why DH in NL also fucking blows.

Small ball the god.
IYKYK

BisMarckie

Post steroid era baseball was incredibly fun to watch, kinda like a throwback to the 80‘s, but baseball statniks ruined the game :nerds

Still love the game, but three outcome baseball is incredibly boring in comparison. I think 2008-2015 was my favorite recent era of baseball, even though the White Sox pretty much stunk.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Finally I have common ground with Biz. :rejoice

Tasty

Go Sox

Himu

Post steroid era baseball was incredibly fun to watch, kinda like a throwback to the 80‘s, but baseball statniks ruined the game :nerds

Still love the game, but three outcome baseball is incredibly boring in comparison. I think 2008-2015 was my favorite recent era of baseball, even though the White Sox pretty much stunk.

Truly my friend.

What we need is a small ball team to decimate the rest of the league and embarrass the stat fgts
IYKYK

BisMarckie

Ozzie Guillen needs a managerial job.

Him returning after his ardent defense of Chavismo and pissing off the Cuban Republicans in Florida by praising Castro would signal a shift of the MLB overton window and a return to small ball. :maduro