Poll

When is MLB going to hell and end this season?

Early August
4 (50%)
Late August
2 (25%)
Early September
0 (0%)
Late September
0 (0%)
lol, they're going to cancel regular season games mid way and immediately start playoffs
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: MLB Baseball Thread: 2020 sucked. 2021 might be better?  (Read 33262 times)

Himu

Too many hitters today can't actually hit. It's infuriating and compounds to make the TTO ball even worse.
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
The crux of the debate (to me at least) is whether or not baseball is an entertainment product or a scientific one.

As such I don't hold out much hope for a true grit team beating all the true outcome ones on the field over several seasons.

BisMarckie

Ozzie da gawd is also responsible for the greatest baseball quote.
On Aj Pierzynski( :polandcry ) : If you play against him, you hate him. If you play with him, you hate him a little less. :rejoice

BisMarckie

The crux of the debate (to me at least) is whether or not baseball is an entertainment product or a scientific one.

As such I don't hold out much hope for a true grit team beating all the true outcome ones on the field over several seasons.

Yeah, a small ball oriented team would have to have pitching and defense on a historical level to overcome the undeniable  statistical disadvantage when it comes to scoring runs. The Giants and Royals were the last teams to win the World Series with that approach utilizing stolen bases and striking out less than every other team in the league. But MLB discourages that style of play with the juiced ball that allows pretty much anyone to hit 20+ homers.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
The return of Ozzie would would make American political discourse more entertaining, that's for sure. One day he'd say something wildly homophobic and earn many sympathetic defenses from right-wing pundits, then he'd talk about how great Maduro is 3 weeks later and make them all turn on him.

Himu

I was thinking of the Royals being the last team I can remember running that type of style.

What were your favorite teams to watch in that post steroid era, Biz?
IYKYK

BisMarckie

I couldn‘t appreciate the Royals winning back to back AL pennants since they were division rivals and I was kinda jealous how they were able to win with that rag tag bunch :lol
But in hindsight their run was pretty great and fun to watch.

Always had a soft spot for the Scioscia Angels with Figgins, Izturis, Kendrick and Erick Aybar. Always going to first to third, testing the outfielders and the catchers by swiping bases. And they had Vladdy even though he was past his prime. Always hated Torii though :lol

The early Joe Maddon Rays were also pretty fun with a prime Carl Crawford.

I could have said the Twins as well, but fuck them and the Metrodome.

Never liked watching the A‘s. More like Jack Scust :scust , amirite?

Himu

Wow. You're a proper White Sox fan.

How'd you come to the White Sox as a German? Why them and not the Cubs?
IYKYK

BisMarckie

Wow. You're a proper White Sox fan.

How'd you come to the White Sox as a German? Why them and not the Cubs?

I spent a year in high school (Arkansas though :goty ) and later on lived in Chicago for a year.

White Sox because I always hated the North Side bourgeoisie :juche

Himu

IYKYK

BisMarckie

I am also incredibly  happy to have made a low effort Jack Cust pun almost a decade after his career ended.

Himu

Why is the White Sox logo with the batter so damn ugly? Explanation?
IYKYK

BisMarckie

Anything weird about the White Sox can be explained by just mentioning that they were owned by Bill Veeck.

Kara

Always had a soft spot for the Scioscia Angels with Figgins, Izturis, Kendrick and Erick Aybar. Always going to first to third, testing the outfielders and the catchers by swiping bases. And they had Vladdy even though he was past his prime. Always hated Torii though :lol

BisMarckie

I can rattle off past MLB rosters off the top of my head. but can’t remember anyone’s name when I just met them at a party. :goty

BisMarckie

If you are feeling nostalgic about baseball pre juiced ball era. MLB has uploaded every game in full length from 2009 on to youtube.

Just search for the channel mlbglobal09, mlbglobal10, and so on.

People made playlists listing every game chronologically, like this one for example.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBbpLugK172UjtEzY6oLHbLI1QzVw2Zbc

That killed my boredom during the lenghtned offseason and might become relevant again, if there is a new widespread covid outbreak.

Himu

Good to know. I expect the season to be cancelled.

That's the era I got into baseball so :heartbeat
IYKYK

This will be the first year I haven’t gone to a Mariners game since 1985. My dad got me a cardboard cutout for the Seat Fleet at T-Mobile Park, so that’s something.
野球

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
God bless whoever bought a Chipper Jones cutout for Citi field (Chipper claims it wasn't him)
yar

Himu

thank you so much bismarckie!

IYKYK

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
Supposedly the MLBPA and MLB have agreed to a rules change making double headers 7 inning games  ::)

Himu

I used to have more sympathy for players. Now I'm full on pro owner because most players are full on bitches.
IYKYK

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Tripon

Let my Mariners get back to .500 before you cancel the season. We're so close.

I used to have more sympathy for players. Now I'm full on pro owner because most players are full on bitches.

The owners can go fuck themselves. They've successfully made themselves look like the good guys, which they're not.
野球

BisMarckie

I doubt the players are pushing for that pace of play nonsense MLB uses to justify their asinine rule changes to chase a younger audience, especially after the new reliever rules made a lot of lefty relievers lose their job.

Tripon

Human Snorenado

• Icon
I mean yes all of those things are stupid on the part of the Marlins but the timetable of their positive tests suggests they probably contracted it before coming to Atlanta. It's not like Miami has a shortage of infected morons and businesses open too soon.

F'real tho, Magic City in Atlanta trying to shut down two leagues, damn my dudes
yar

Himu

Braves are Bravesing!!!

LGM

YEAH!
IYKYK

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
Braves are Bravesing!!!

LGM

YEAH!

You made JD drop that ball :ufup

Also Mark Wegner is the worst fucking umpire

Himu

Nothing in life is a guarantee. You live or die trying. Being a Mets fan is truly humbling and life affirming.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
 :gladbron
yar

Himu

Which Met do I blame for my current existential crisis?

To exist to know pain.

It's amazing how the Mets can disappoint you in so many ways. The complete team.
IYKYK

Himu

I am a lifelong braves hater after tonight.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
It's ok. The Marlins, Phillies, and Nationals have all won a world series more recently than the Mets, but if you asked me which team I would rather stomp into nothingness, the answer would always be the Mets.

My hate for them is lifelong, and pure.
yar

Himu

I hope to God the new Braves team is the Straightjackets because I need one rn
IYKYK

BisMarckie

Two game winning streat, we are rolling baybee :playa

Four hits against a guy who never pitched above class-A and the terrible Royals pen. :goty

But a win is a win  :doge

BisMarckie

Watched the Mets-Braves game a little bit. Acuna looks pretty bad at the plate, but I guess this is just a small sample size issue.

BisMarckie

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/1289397493147394048

It’s Olbermann, so take it with a huge grain of salt, but shutting down the league would be a disaster for the game.

Kara

It's ok. The Marlins, Phillies, and Nationals have all won a world series more recently than the Mets, but if you asked me which team I would rather stomp into nothingness, the answer would always be the Mets.

This post made me realize that your duels with Frankman in MLB-GAF are probably the high water mark of civilization absent a miracle COVID-19 cure. :brazilcry

Himu

For some reason, despite this loss I am even more passionate and in love with the Mets.  It's like I truly care about their success and I want to see them win. It's gotten me absolutely hooked. It's like a Greek tragedy and it's beautiful. I love it

I'm still young in my fandom so there's still opportunity to say "fuck this" and just go full Dodgers fan but I won't because I truly love this team and want them to succeed.

They really remind me of the old Astros.

LFGM and fuck the Braves.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon

This post made me realize that your duels with Frankman in MLB-GAF are probably the high water mark of civilization absent a miracle COVID-19 cure. :brazilcry

We flew too close to the sun, Kara.

Watched the Mets-Braves game a little bit. Acuna looks pretty bad at the plate, but I guess this is just a small sample size issue.

Acuna is a very, veeeeeeerrry streaky hitter. He'll have stretches of mediocrity and then stretches like his RoY campaign where he homered in something stupid like 8 straight games.

He'll probably heat up right around the time we need him to carry us for a week or two, assuming we get to have more baseball in this, the darkest timeline.
yar

Himu

Fuck the Braves!!! We can't end the season like this! If the season ends by Monday I hope we stnlesst best the braves in a game. Please! The Mets need this!
IYKYK

Himu

Re: MLB Baseball 2020: Marlins and Cardinals are cursed
« Reply #285 on: August 01, 2020, 04:01:29 PM »
TONIGHT COULD VERY WELL BE THE LAST GAME NIGHT FOR THE METS THIS SEASON

YOU WOULD THINK AFTER A HUMILIATING NIGHT THAT I'D BE SITTING HERE NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO THE GAME BUT NO, I AM NOT RETREATING. I WILL CHEER EVEN HARDER. LET'S FUCKING GO METS.

FUCK THE BRAVES AND PLEASE BEAT THEM.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #286 on: August 01, 2020, 08:26:31 PM »
Braves too stronk
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #287 on: August 01, 2020, 08:39:24 PM »
Our real strength is our bullpen (well that and the top of our rotation but tbh I'd rather have Degrom than Soroka and I'm horny for Soroka)

Mets bullpen and back half of the rotation is trash (tbf our back half is not great either)
yar

Himu

« Reply #288 on: August 01, 2020, 08:52:45 PM »
It doesn't help that Ramos isn't a good catcher. He frames some catches that should be strikes as balls. Then Syndergaard and Stroman are out.

This is a very frustrating game but I'm sticking to my guns!

Your batters are very consistent and your defense is on the ball. Pretty much everyone in the top half of the batter line up from leadoff Acuna all the way down to six hole are scary AB. Mets are lucky Acuna has been having a dry spell and even seems to be waking up.

Still have my Mets hat on and I'm cheering! I'd like at least one run even if they lose.

Looking forward to the deGrom and Soroka matchup on Monday!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #289 on: August 01, 2020, 10:22:17 PM »
Hard game. Good thing I no longer drink!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #290 on: August 01, 2020, 10:25:39 PM »
"What a baseball magnet!" - Keith Hernandez :dead
IYKYK

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #291 on: August 01, 2020, 10:48:09 PM »
Poll should be changed to “When is MLB going to end the season”
WDW

Tripon

« Reply #292 on: August 01, 2020, 11:06:41 PM »
Poll should be changed to “When is MLB going to end the season”
Done.

BisMarckie

« Reply #293 on: August 01, 2020, 11:14:27 PM »
Mets strategy of signing washed up guys like Porcello and Wacha to fill out the rotation turns out to be not the greatest decision :heh

You guys should check out what Luis Robert is doing. That kid is going to be special  8)

BisMarckie

« Reply #294 on: August 01, 2020, 11:17:23 PM »
Tuned in to some of the extra innings games tonight. Didn't see any team utilizing a bunt, even if they held the other team scoreless. Runner on 2nd with nobody out should be almost an automatic run. :rage

Himu

« Reply #295 on: August 01, 2020, 11:20:11 PM »
Mets' prospect did a good job pitching though.

So there's that. Peterson also pitches tomorrow and he's had a good debut so far.

Asterisks lost to angels . Congrats daddy Trout!
IYKYK

Tripon

Himu

« Reply #297 on: August 02, 2020, 01:50:54 PM »
Holy fuck Peterson!!! :hyper
IYKYK

Tripon

« Reply #298 on: August 02, 2020, 02:29:51 PM »