Author Topic: This gen is too long again  (Read 5539 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: This gen is too long again
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2020, 02:54:42 PM »
PS4's first 2 years were like a desert for me, I jumped in during a Black Friday sale in 2014 but the first games I was really interested in were Type 0, MGS5, and Witcher 3.

I couldn't even name anything from the PS4 launch library, I think there was a Killzone or something. 2013 and 14 were probably my least favorite years in gaming since the crash.

Killzone Shadowfall, yeah. 

...It wasn't that good.  I got my launch PS4 with that, Injustice (port of a last-gen game, yaaay), and Call Of Duty Ghosts (sucked), IIRC.  It wasn't very long before I was back on the PS3 playing Call of Duty Black Ops II and Street Fighter IV instead.  Spent most of 2014 and 2015 still playing mostly PS3 games, too.  It kind of doesn't feel like this gen really got going until that time, so it doesn't feel like it's been that long.

I jumped in PS4 a few months after launch with Ground Zeros, Shadow of Mordor and PT demo...  I was on cloud 9.  Seeing games in actual 1080p, finally using wireless headphones and witnessing the badass nemesis system, I felt the generational leap.

I think this is a retread of a previous thread, but that's another thing- so many games getting PS3/360 releases alongside the PS4/Xbone releases and the only real differences were resolution and framerates.  Sure, the games look and run better on the current gen platforms, but you could have just played Ground Zeroes and Shadow Of Mordor on PS3- didn't feel as "next-gen" to me because of it.

My expectations for "next gen leap feeling" is pretty low this time though.. feels like it's plateaued some.

Am guessing support for up to 8K screens and higher refresh rates might be a thing- but most people playing consoles won't have the displays to take advantage of it.

Gotta say, playing PC games in ultra-wide at 144hz is pretty damn awesome and I love to see at least ultra-wide support made available as an option for console games.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 03:00:38 PM by bork »
ど助平

BisMarckie

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2020, 03:19:10 PM »

I thought King Kong was liked :trumps

Easy 1000 gamerscore :aah

Svejk

« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2020, 03:32:45 PM »
My expectations for "next gen leap feeling" is pretty low this time though.. feels like it's plateaued some.

Am guessing support for up to 8K screens and higher refresh rates might be a thing- but most people playing consoles won't have the displays to take advantage of it.

Gotta say, playing PC games in ultra-wide at 144hz is pretty damn awesome and I love to see at least ultra-wide support made available as an option for console games.
Yeah, see, I'm still on the ol' 1080p train..  Haven't even seent actual 4K gaming... With my living situation up in the air atm, I'm not in a position to jump to 4K yet.. I got nothing that can even display anything in 4K yet anyway.  Once I do though, hopefully it'll feel like a bit of a leap for me. 

BisMarckie

« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2020, 03:39:23 PM »
Maybe my vision is bad, but there isn't much of a leap from 1080p to 4K for me, so you're not missing much. :trumps

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2020, 03:43:33 PM »
Same people itt complaining about sub par launch games  and whatnot are stanning Taco Bell in OT. :doge

Lemme enjoy my new console smell and Motorstorm

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2020, 03:44:15 PM »
There are... there are 8k screens?  :o :( :-X
technically but its like $3000 for a 55" so no one is buying that

ms is saying the new xbox will support 120fps, and technically the x1x already does but no games support that atm. over 60fps, ssd as standard, and raytracing have solid potential to make the new consoles feel "worth it" but i dunno how high fps and raytracing will work out together :lol

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2020, 08:03:11 PM »
People just love quality launch title games like Peter Jackson's King Kong, Kessen, Genji: Days of the Blade etc etc

And a little while later the GOAT

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2020, 08:13:27 PM »
Same people itt complaining about sub par launch games  and whatnot are stanning Taco Bell in OT. :doge

Lemme enjoy my new console smell and Motorstorm

motorstorm was legit

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2020, 09:07:12 PM »
People just love quality launch title games like Peter Jackson's King Kong, Kessen, Genji: Days of the Blade etc etc

And a little while later the GOAT

(Image removed from quote.)

Should have made Timesplitters 4 instead.
dog

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2020, 09:12:13 PM »
Motorstorm came not long after VF5, months after launch. aside from EA cross-gen stuff only thing that looked ok was Ridge Racer 7, and that was really RR6.5.

PS3 launch was bad, PS4 was better only due to XB1 going off rails. It didn't really have anything to play on it for like a year either, in hindsight XB1 library was marginally more impressive?

bluemax

« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2020, 12:47:43 AM »

I thought King Kong was liked :trumps

spoiler (click to show/hide)
ITS RIIIIIIDGE RACER
[close]

It was just the first launch game from that era that popped into my mind.

I didn't buy a PS4 until I got the Arkham Knight bundle. I got a PS3 with MGS4, mostly because it was the last hardware BC model. I even waited in line for a bunch of hours before giving up and then bought it later online. I'm honestly not sure how many times I even used that BC, probably not enough to justify the effort I put into it.
NO

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2020, 01:40:10 AM »
I bought my PS4 for The Evil Within. Worth every fucking penny :aah
Margs

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2020, 02:26:10 AM »
i bought my ps4 with driveclub, after it was patched up :lawd

though resogun :lawd

Occam

« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2020, 02:31:25 AM »
PS4 was worth it right from the start, in my opinion. First of all, the price didn't drop for a long time (so there was no point to wait to save money) and second of all, Resogun.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2020, 04:42:54 AM »
Resistance was a great PS3 launch game.

I didn't play it untill years later as I thought it looked meh, but it was actually really cool.

Didn't have the wow factor of Gears but it was a solid 8.

archnemesis

« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2020, 04:59:16 AM »
All the Resistance games are fun. I played the first one on a 576i TV and it sure wasn't pretty.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2020, 06:20:18 AM »
Resistance was fun, but god damn Sony allowing people to use any Bluetooth device online made playing awful as they had no quick mute all options which was just awful.

Just screaming kids in the background or people blasting out music, it was awful!