Author Topic: It's that time again, time to rewatch The Sopranos for the 50th time  (Read 6560 times)

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY

When I die, bury me in a box where The Sopranos is playing on a display forever. :heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat
OH!

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
I just rewatched the last two episodes recently. The way Uncle Jun goes 'oh that's nice' is so good. Absolutely nailed that shit.

But still nothing beats that Adriana scene for me.  :doge

Btw, Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa are currently going through each episode. Pretty cool. First episode is fucked up though, cause Bobby is using his headset mic.

mormapope

That Carm/Tony fight is too fucking intense for me. I don't think I've ever been as stressed out watching an argument in an entertainment program. Just thinking about it is getting me tense tbh.

Something that I absolutely adore about these scenes is how well the arguing is written, the kind of language and call outs can very much resemble tension or frustration in ANY marriage or relationship.

Tony's business means pussy and sex are always a phone call or conversation away, being a boss of an organized crime family, that's a given.

But those fight scenes with Tony and Carmella, if Tony was a CEO for Walmart, the boss at a garbage and sanitation dump, a school principal principal, that background would only change so much regarding the issues and grievances Carmella and Tony have for each other.

It's relatable in every sense. We as viewers feel like bystanders to a terrible and uncomfortable discussion about marriage, about a relationship. Rather than the arguing feeling like payoff or a spectacle.

There are an innumerable amount of scenes where the writing g and delivery send shivers thru my body and heart.

Tony: Ya know where I was yesterday when you called?

Melfi ....I don't know

Tony: I was outside a whorehouse, when the guy that works for me was inside beating the shit outta guy who owes me money. Broke his arm, put a bullet in his kneecap.

Melfi: How'd that make you feel?

Tony: Wished it was me in there.

Melfi: Giving the beating or taking it?

:lawd :lawd :lawd :lawd :lawd

That shit makes my soul sing.

OH!

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 04:23:17 PM by hhkcvaoitsso »
每天生气

mormapope

Show doesn't really do it for me.

Chances are, it helped shape a TV show that you have enjoyed in the past 20 years. It's quality and influence can't be understated.
OH!

mormapope

I do feel like the last time I watched through it, it was starting to show its age, but mostly around the middle of the series where things felt pretty wheel turning, but the highs of The Sopranos are about as high as any television show has ever been to.

Each season has it's ebb and flow, some stuff works and some stuff does fall flat. The humor and writing are the backbone that keep the show consistently great.

Jackie Jr. Is legitimately a sack of shit in every scene and story he's part of, Season 3 has excellent stories, his though, I give no shots for his fate. He also shot and killed Sunny, a fucking old ass poker dealer who probably didn't hurt a man in his life.

OH!

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
just finished it up again yesterday and it's still the best thing ever put on tv. "you know, quasimodo predicted all of this"

:bow jersey forever :bow2

pcp

nachobro

• Live Más
sopranos is easily my favorite show and maybe the most hilarious drama of all time. been too long since a rewatch, but i think its on amazon prime :thinking

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
it's on prime and hulu now for free
pcp

mormapope

Show doesn't really do it for me.

Chances are, it helped shape a TV show that you have enjoyed in the past 20 years. It's quality and influence can't be understated.

Not trying to deny it's influence.

Just never found Tony likable or in any way interesting.   The latter being the bigger offender for me;  I can watch a show with unlikable people but Tony is just boring.   Show was just missing something for me;  my favorite gangster films have plenty of whiny neurotic characters but that was like everyone in Sopranos.

Personally for me, I feel a lot of comfort and can easily relax to the majority of Sopranos episodes. I love neurotic characters, flawed characters, shows where everyone is flawed and have less desirable personality quirks.

For example

Everything about this episode and this poker game is like comfort or soul food.
OH!

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
Without trying to sound like an edgy teen, I really do love and see a bit of myself in Tony's love for animals, but his complete disregard to human lives. Obviously not as extreme as him, but I have yet to experience loss of a family member, that hit me harder than the death of my dog.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
I just rewatch season 1. Everything I love about the show is right there in that season and it has a satisfying ending.

I got really sour on the show during seasons 3,4 and 5. Too much of it was them trying to figure out a new antagonist after Livia died (IRL) and Chase jerking around the fan base with so many loose ends and head fakes. I understand his artistic point was that life doesn’t give you closure, so don’t expect it in the series. But after so many times of doing it, it felt like a cop out for a guy that didn’t want to ever pay anything off.

Season 6 saves the show and seasons 3-5 had some all time moments and individual episodes, but it’s not enough to make me want to trudge through it all again.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
joe pantalione is one of the highlights of this show easily.

"you're late"
"see, tomorrow I can be on time, but you'll be stupid forever."
pcp

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
I gave up on Mad Men and I gave up on Sopranos, soz

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
fuckin malignant cunt
pcp

mormapope

This was in my YouTube feed and I decided to watch it

It's incredibly heartwarming and sad. James' death did hit me in a very particular way. A genuine and loving person with real heart and real issues, coming as close as possible to perfecting his craft.

OH!

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Dang I only rewatched it a few months ago
What

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
James' death did hit me in a very particular way. A genuine and loving person with real heart and real issues, coming as close as possible to perfecting his craft.
literally thought this was about the Bore poster, RIP
每天生气

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
rip to both james. :(

MMaRsu

• Administrator
What

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
The closure arguments on The Sopranos always struck me as weird.

ending spoilers
spoiler (click to show/hide)
It seems more like people just wanted to see Tony get his brains blown out, and anything else was unacceptable. S5 and 6 build up a war that Tony cannot win, and his recklessness and pathology/personality result in him getting killed.
[close]

In terms of the rest of the series...personally I thought it was all great. I'd argue each season has some type of closure, and a beginning/middle/end structure. S2 and S5 do this particularly well by introducing new characters (Richie Aprile and Tony B) with arcs that drove the seasons from beginning to end.

It's prob my second favorite show behind The Wire, and the most rewatchable show IMO.

Himu

Never seen it. :obama
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
ending spoilers
It seems more like people just wanted to see Tony get his brains blown out, and anything else was unacceptable. S5 and 6 build up a war that Tony cannot win, and his recklessness and pathology/personality result in him getting killed.
[close]

they said they'd always get lots of complaints when they'd have episodes where no one dies (which pissed them off to no end), so i can definitely see this. the other part is ofc that there's lots of viewers that aren't seeing anything deeper than what's immediately on the screen, but they fortunately never catered to those people anyways. when i finally saw the ending for myself i thought it was kind of silly how mad people got because it didn't feel that vague what they were going for.
[close]

anyways, now that i'm done with the show it's time to do the obvious: start over and watch it again. well that and play the Playstation 2 classic Sopranos: Road to Respect

pcp

Phoenix Dark

ending spoilers
[close]

they said they'd always get lots of complaints when they'd have episodes where no one dies (which pissed them off to no end), so i can definitely see this. the other part is ofc that there's lots of viewers that aren't seeing anything deeper than what's immediately on the screen, but they fortunately never catered to those people anyways. when i finally saw the ending for myself i thought it was kind of silly how mad people got because it didn't feel that vague what they were going for.
[close]

anyways, now that i'm done with the show it's time to do the obvious: start over and watch it again. well that and play the Playstation 2 classic Sopranos: Road to Respect

(Image removed from quote.)

Similarly a lot of people hated the dream sequences. A lot of that show featured shit that heavily influenced great shows that came after...but at the time there was definitely a pop culture fanbase who simply wanted to know who got wacked, and a more serious fanbase who enjoyed the show artistically. That balance really defines how subsequent shows have operated. Even shit like Game Of Thrones, you can tell when the showrunners decided that the shock moments that galvanize casual fans should completely dominate the show, and it went to complete shit at that point.

Tasty

Haven't seen it but I've been binging stuff and I'll get to this show before too long, will probably post ITT as I'm watching.

Phoenix Dark

ToxicAdam

Is that parody or sincere? I fear it’s sincere.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
ending spoilers
[close]

[close]

(Image removed from quote.)

Yea I already played a bit of it...trust me not worth the time lmao
What

Himu

Haven't seen it but I've been binging stuff and I'll get to this show before too long, will probably post ITT as I'm watching.

Same. I'll watch it after the other shows I'm watching.
IYKYK

mormapope

University from season 3 is probably my favorite episode in the entire series. Taken as its own thing without any other episode, a complete story and arc happens in 60 minutes. Taken with context from previous episodes, and the ramifications later on, its one of the brightest spots in the show.

In that same season, the episode where Melfi is raped is still the most uncomfortable thing for me to watch. That scene and episode can't be commended enough for showing that act in such a realistic and uncomfortable way.
OH!

ToxicAdam

My favorite subplot is when Chris tries to become a screenwriter and him and Paulie goto Hollywood. I could have watched an entire spin-off series with that as the premise. It was such a great way for the writers to skewer their industry.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
watching the guys interact with people from outside jersey that they can't intimidate or attack is pure cringe. like you might get too into the characters and start thinking that some of what they say or do is justified, and then here come these awkward conversations with normal people to remind you that, no, they're fucking lunatics that can't have a single conversation without being crude, violent, or hypocritical. it's hilarious.
pcp

Phoenix Dark

I can't really think of any subplots off the top of my head that lost me. There were certainly some that weren't my favorite part of the episode, but I can't think of any that really brought shit down like on other shows. It's pretty consistent, in large part due to the characters.

That's also why it's so rewatchable. There's certainly a "main story" I guess, but there are so many subplots and callbacks and character moments that you can just sit down and watch pretty much any episode and not feel like you need to go back to the start of the season.

Tasty

Finished the first episode!

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
the first episode is good but man does it have some corny outlandish parts. tony running over a guy in front of a crowd of people, and carmilla pulling out an assault rifle in front of the priest were both ridiculous. the quality goes way way up right with the next episode.

also lol this sopranos game is ass. a clunky beat em up where you get pummeled from guys off-screen nonstop. at least it has great voice acting. david chase wrote a draft of the story years beforehand, and had to look over the script even though he fucking hated the idea of a game tie-in:

"The act of watching a movie or a TV show or reading a book, God forbid, is you're seeing someone else's story and you can go through their story and learn from it or feel with it or laugh at it without having to go through any of the pain or the adventures," he told MTV. "The game is different: There is no identification, really, any emotional identification.

"Cooking dinner, going to Lamaze class, there's no way to figure that into a game at this point. Maybe somebody else can do it and maybe somebody will, but that wasn't really what this game was about."
https://www.esquire.com/uk/latest-news/a25831403/sopranos-road-to-respect-video-game/
pcp

Tasty

Damn you were't kidding. ep2 is a big step up. But knowing the nature of pilots it makes sense.

I hope the mom gets shot in the face soon.

Tasty

Wow these AJ scenes are... really bad.

Tasty

Melfi is my kind of crazy bitch. :mynicca

Ride or die for that chick :lawd

Tasty

Almost through s4. I really enjoy Chris, Ralph and Furio.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
nah fuck ralph

MMaRsu

• Administrator
ralph is a snake

like richie
What

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
ralph is a total scumbag but also the funniest character on the show

"yeah well fuck him and his high-falutin bullshit. who does he think he is, sir walter raleigh?"
pcp

Tasty

ralph is a total scumbag but also the funniest character on the show

"yeah well fuck him and his high-falutin bullshit. who does he think he is, sir walter raleigh?"

"I can always be on time tomorrow, but you'll be stupid forever."

Tasty

WTF
[close]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 11:42:00 PM by Tasty Meat »

Tasty

"Fuck you ya fuckin' whoahr" :dead
[close]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 11:41:37 PM by Tasty Meat »

Tasty

"My mudda's wake. Jesus Christ." :dead
[close]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 11:42:18 PM by Tasty Meat »

Tasty

This show is so good. :lawd And it's not even like, the big memorable scenes. It's the "forgettable" ones.

Because even those "forgettable" scenes (relative to the series) are still expertly crafted to a, frankly, insane level of precision.

How is Gandolfini as good in the little moments as he is in the big ones? Same question to the writers.

I slept on this show a little too long.

Tasty

s4 ending
Furio just left for good I guess and I'm super bummed. :( But at least he didn't get clipped...

Wtf at Ralph's death lol. Did Joey Pants just want out?
[close]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 01:47:38 PM by Tasty Meat »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
i don't think so. his arc was always building towards that conclusion anyway. shame tho because he was great in every scene he was in.

[close]
pcp

Tasty

s4 overall
I suppose but the same-episode "OH MY POOR SON!!!!" subplot out of nowhere, which directly leads to that later in the *same* episode, felt really last-minute from my perspective.

I'm not sure where they could have went with Ralph, but I was never sure of where they were going with him since his character was introduced anyways. He just kinda showed up at the start of s2 "Hey guys I'm here!" then dicked around with various subplots until "the big one" (Johnny Sack), then randomly gets clipped for debatably no reason smack in the middle of s4, with little lasting consequence for the rest of the season. "Oh I guess he died. Moving on..."

Like I already said, he's one of my fave chars, so that's clouding my judgment admittedly, but from a writing perspective it feels more "I need a way off this show, guys" than "This is something we've been meticulously building towards since Ralph's intro."
[close]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 01:48:25 PM by Tasty Meat »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
i feel like a lot of storylines end up being resolved too quickly. the way the show is written feels very meticulous so i'm not sure if the conclusions feeling rushed is because they are, or because they're presented so undramatically.
pcp

Himu

Started watching this. Just wanted to :clap for HBO making their series' so damn short per season. Been watching lots of long ass tv shows like Batman TAS which has like 40 eps for the first season alone (granted they're 24 minutes long but still). I hate these 26 ep seasons with one hour long episodes like Star Trek. Too much show. I figure I'll be able to finish Soprano's in a few weeks.

I haven't watched HBO religiously in years. What are the best HBO tv series in general and in the past oh say, ten years besides The Wire, Rome, and Oz?
IYKYK

El Babua

Six Feet Under, Deadwood and Curb if you never got around to it.

Himu

Oh, right. I like Curb. Have to catch up.
IYKYK

ToxicAdam

This show is so good. :lawd And it's not even like, the big memorable scenes. It's the "forgettable" ones.

Because even those "forgettable" scenes (relative to the series) are still expertly crafted to a, frankly, insane level of precision.

How is Gandolfini as good in the little moments as he is in the big ones? Same question to the writers.

I slept on this show a little too long.

Yea, Gandolfini is one of a kind. He’s the glue that holds it all together.

Also, in the moment, lots of fans turned on the show for how they handled Furio. He could’ve been an all-time bit character but they just let him drift away.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
Six feet under is imo an incredibly underrated show.