Author Topic: Is the world burning?  (Read 251002 times)

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
Re: Is the world burning?
« Reply #960 on: May 31, 2020, 08:18:15 PM »
3 minute wait for 911 in Chicago

And don’t worry guys we’re not going to stop them. Just going to check it out and take pics of the damage.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #961 on: May 31, 2020, 08:18:23 PM »
And how is Glen navigating the trying times of Meltdown May?
He was really spooked by the fact that Mandark knew what his twitter was and deleted it. He seems a lot more peaceful these days!

I've now gotten him to delete accounts on two sites. Pretty chuffed tbh.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #962 on: May 31, 2020, 08:19:28 PM »
They pushed a curfew notice though my phone. 6PM to 6AM, county wide for L.A.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #963 on: May 31, 2020, 08:20:24 PM »
Is this true? Oh god, hope this isnt the case
Can confirm. National guard have live rounds
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #964 on: May 31, 2020, 08:22:49 PM »
Not sure we should be happy about pushing people off of other forums

Nuitangg

shosta

« Reply #966 on: May 31, 2020, 08:24:02 PM »
it's like sectioning someone. Even if it's involuntary, it's for their own good
每天生气

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #967 on: May 31, 2020, 08:28:38 PM »
It's a great sign. It means public discourse is changing. I refuse to complain about it.
If you want to see it as a symbol of the changing wind, that's fair.
My point is these companies will have no problem (superficially) supporting any cause that least hurts their bottom line.
Given Sony's demographic, i don't think it's absurd for them to side with the protesters, but i still find these companies trying to act human inherently grotesque.

But yeah, it does indirectly show what the larger public perceives to be good, and that is admittedly a good sign of change.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #968 on: May 31, 2020, 08:28:51 PM »
If Trump loses in November and we gain the senate we can foster true change.

Unfortunately, police reform's a good example of the limits of electoralism. There are a bunch of cities where the mayor and the political leadership are at odds with the police department and can't get their agenda through. In Minneapolis fighting over the "killology" training, or in New York where they literally turned their back on Bill DeBlasio (IIRC over stop-and-frisk) and he's backed waaaaaay down since then.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #969 on: May 31, 2020, 08:31:13 PM »
Mandark endorsing revolution from below :rejoice

shosta

« Reply #970 on: May 31, 2020, 08:33:51 PM »
Can you even pass federal laws regarding policing? Seems like a 10th amendment thing.
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #971 on: May 31, 2020, 08:38:35 PM »
Can you even pass federal laws regarding policing? Seems like a 10th amendment thing.

Maybe you could think of a federal law regarding policing. Perhaps one sponsored by Joe Biden. Hypothetically one which has been fodder for debate in two consecutive Democratic presidential primaries.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #972 on: May 31, 2020, 08:38:53 PM »
nårolf was suicide by cop.  :-\

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #973 on: May 31, 2020, 08:39:19 PM »

I think you should be more supportive of my accomplishments.  :hmph

bluemax

« Reply #974 on: May 31, 2020, 08:40:47 PM »
They just had a guy on the news who identified himself as a Marine Corps veteran, they asked him if he had a message he wanted to share. He got out "Fuck cops" before they muted the mic and switched away. Absolute hero.
NO

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #975 on: May 31, 2020, 08:41:38 PM »
I'll print and pin it to the fridge with your other posts.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #976 on: May 31, 2020, 08:43:37 PM »
All those corporate twitter accounts couldn’t and wouldn’t say shit like that if they didn’t have data that showed it was going to be the best thing for their brand. I mean, maybe there’s a rogue woke social media manager out there, but on the whole I think it just goes to show where people are with black people being killed by police and there’s nothing wrong with celebrating that as a positive shift. Of course they’re not going to do anything meaningful, but now they know they better shut the fuck up and support justice 🤷‍♀️

EightBitNate

« Reply #977 on: May 31, 2020, 08:44:31 PM »
Officer cousin said to turn back. We got about 4 minutes of video from the security cameras. He told us to just file a report and contact the insurance company.

shosta

« Reply #979 on: May 31, 2020, 08:50:38 PM »
Maybe you could think of a federal law regarding policing. Perhaps one sponsored by Joe Biden. Hypothetically one which has been fodder for debate in two consecutive Democratic presidential primaries.
Looks like I'm right but you're also right. I won't explain why, because I'm petty and hate you.
每天生气

Tasty

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #981 on: May 31, 2020, 08:57:47 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I mean, that may be some peoples fetish, but GOD DAMN. :doge

Himu

« Reply #982 on: May 31, 2020, 09:04:25 PM »
It's a great sign. It means public discourse is changing. I refuse to complain about it.
My point is these companies will have no problem (superficially) supporting any cause that least hurts their bottom line.
Given Sony's demographic, i don't think it's absurd for them to side with the protesters, but i still find these companies trying to act human inherently grotesque.

But yeah, it does indirectly show what the larger public perceives to be good, and that is admittedly a good sign of change.

When brands jumped on lgbt rights it started to become more mainstream. I don't care if it's seen as shallow or even superficial. I consider it a win.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #984 on: May 31, 2020, 09:05:29 PM »
Big brands taking a side in the kulture wars is going to make a certain type of person lose their fucking mind btw

Oh I've already anticipated the piece someone's going to write saying opposition to police brutality shouldn't be a central issue to the left because it's so easily co-opted by corporate neoliberalism, and started getting mad about it in advance.

bluemax

NO

Himu

« Reply #986 on: May 31, 2020, 09:07:45 PM »
MY RESPONSE TO BRANDS BEING AGAINST POLICE BRUTALITY IS BURNING MY PS4

FUCK YOU SONY, I'M BUYING A SWITCH AND NOT PS5
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
pcp

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal

Himu

« Reply #989 on: May 31, 2020, 09:11:00 PM »

If your child has a ps4 please do this to save them from the leftist media :tocry
IYKYK

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
___

Tasty

« Reply #991 on: May 31, 2020, 09:14:40 PM »

If your child has a ps4 please do this to save them from the leftist media :tocry

Have I smoked so much weed that I missed new prez Bowser giving the Nintendo version of Order 66? :mindblown

Should I be destroying my Sony Blu-ray player? :mindblown

bluemax

NO

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #993 on: May 31, 2020, 09:16:16 PM »
MY RESPONSE TO BRANDS BEING AGAINST POLICE BRUTALITY IS BURNING MY PS4

FUCK YOU SONY, I'M BUYING A SWITCH AND NOT PS5
That's just PS4 running any late gen game.  :fbm

thisismyusername

« Reply #994 on: May 31, 2020, 09:18:12 PM »

When brands jumped on lgbt rights it started to become more mainstream. I don't care if it's seen as shallow or even superficial. I consider it a win.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #995 on: May 31, 2020, 09:19:02 PM »
Quite amazing no one were killed there, jesus the speed.

https://twitter.com/BoydHuppert/status/1267243913250836480

Himu

IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #997 on: May 31, 2020, 09:21:26 PM »
Michael Tracey fail guys are annoying and all but I'm thinking about the downwardly mobile small business Karen demographic getting hit by the crisis and culture war about looters at the same time... Plus the previous narratives about not being able to operate while the big boys can. it's fuel for some bad stuff

There have been a lot of small businesses releasing similar pro-BLM statements as the big brands. If I were being reaaaalllllly cynical, I'd speculate that having your store burnt down and collecting an insurance check might be a better deal than getting squeezed into bankruptcy by the virus and an inadequate federal response.

Wouldn't be surprised to hear some small business owners come out on the other side of this. There may be just as much sentiment within management of large corporations, but generally employees there know not to do freelance PR, which is a constraint you wouldn't have as a SBO.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #998 on: May 31, 2020, 09:25:14 PM »
We live in a society

https://twitter.com/P0kes/status/1267230163521191936
"How can we deescalate this us vs them situation? Wait, i know!"

EightBitNate

« Reply #999 on: May 31, 2020, 09:27:07 PM »
Michael Tracey fail guys are annoying and all but I'm thinking about the downwardly mobile small business Karen demographic getting hit by the crisis and culture war about looters at the same time... Plus the previous narratives about not being able to operate while the big boys can. it's fuel for some bad stuff

There have been a lot of small businesses releasing similar pro-BLM statements as the big brands. If I were being reaaaalllllly cynical, I'd speculate that having your store burnt down and collecting an insurance check might be a better deal than getting squeezed into bankruptcy by the virus and an inadequate federal response.

Wouldn't be surprised to hear some small business owners come out on the other side of this. There may be just as much sentiment within management of large corporations, but generally employees there know not to do freelance PR, which is a constraint you wouldn't have as a SBO.

My uncle is actually praying his store gets burned down, and he probably will profit off of all of this, but, maybe unsurprisingly, him and his son are absolutely livid. Having your windows broken and your property stolen is extremely heart breaking, especially to people who take pride in their business. I won’t pretend like I understand the motivation of looting outside of causing anarchy, but it’s extremely disheartening to see an anti-establishment movement attack people who are not a part of the establishment.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #1000 on: May 31, 2020, 09:37:07 PM »

How many of them let their insurance lapse, or are behind on payments because they paid a million other things before insurance?

shosta

« Reply #1001 on: May 31, 2020, 09:37:43 PM »
Yeah, I'm with Esch on this. From their perspective mind you, whether it's getting your property burned down by lawless criminals and being gaslit by the media that they're just expressing their emotions or being shut in for several months by nanny state liberals for so long that the business you've been building for years is totally bankrupt, there's no way that the suburban right in this country isn't feeling completely humiliated. We're supercharging the Karens.
每天生气

bluemax

« Reply #1002 on: May 31, 2020, 09:40:07 PM »
Appreciate the tweets, bluemax.

Sorry I've been too wound up and anxious about this. I'm gonna play Animal Crossing and walk my dog.
NO

Dickie Dee

___

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1004 on: May 31, 2020, 09:51:14 PM »

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #1005 on: May 31, 2020, 09:52:55 PM »
Curfew in Madison and Milwaukee as well. 9pm to 7am. Not fucking with that.
OH!

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
pcp

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #1007 on: May 31, 2020, 09:54:36 PM »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1008 on: May 31, 2020, 09:59:41 PM »
https://twitter.com/SoCalMAB/status/1267270596645142528

And the college football player in her avatar Tweeted at her asking to be removed from it.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1010 on: May 31, 2020, 10:07:14 PM »

Dickie Dee

___

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1012 on: May 31, 2020, 10:11:38 PM »
They're going to arrest everyone they've trapped.

(Image removed from quote.)

Did it work? Crowd could wedge out one spot if they coordinated

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1013 on: May 31, 2020, 10:30:21 PM »
Love this guy

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1014 on: May 31, 2020, 10:32:33 PM »
Right now I don’t think Donald Trump could get away with being anywhere near 5th ave, let alone shoot someone on it

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1015 on: May 31, 2020, 10:34:44 PM »
antifa brand McCarthyism, fun fun fun

Dickie Dee

« Reply #1016 on: May 31, 2020, 10:38:49 PM »
https://twitter.com/JimNelsonTV/status/1267246200102760450

At least stuff like this might make the press go apeshit, even if their bosses don't.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 10:43:02 PM by Dickie Dee »
___

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #1018 on: May 31, 2020, 11:22:50 PM »
Shit is crazy in Chicago. One of my friend's apartment complex has been busted up (second floor windows. Bunch of looting on Milwaukee which is close to where another friend lives. Another friend is also pretty close to a looting area near the Division blue line stop. My area seems to be fine for now. Some shit happening a little southwest of me, but still pretty far (by foot). Shit fucking sucks. I walked by a peaceful protest yesterday and thought the craziness would mostly stay in downtown, but it's seeping out.

I'm getting a little scared. My friend in the apartment that was busted on the lower floors recorded a video and it shows a cop arriving at one of the looting areas and some random shot at a cop car (by the time other cop cars showed up that crowed dissipated). And he said that there were like 70 looters there at one point. So yeah it's all going to shit. Awful. Obviously things hit a boiling point and this is where we are at.