Author Topic: Resident Evil 8: Village  (Read 16142 times)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Re: Resident Evil 8: Village
« Reply #240 on: May 17, 2021, 05:28:09 AM »
I imagine you're supposed to run past the enemies in the stronghold. I killed about 40 before they stopped spawning.
That was a difficult fight. I killed them all.

I'm not sure what you're supposed to do but in some rooms you can indeed decide to cut and run instead of killing everything.

I reloaded the old save and ran past the enemies and went straight for the mini boss. (talking about the room with the zipline.) A lot less enemies spawned this time.

Only like 10 normal enemies spawned as opposed to the 40 I had to deal with before.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #241 on: May 17, 2021, 06:13:46 PM »
Interesting, I guess your play style decides enemy and spawn behaviour or there is a limit on how many enemies can spawn.

I noticed something like this as well
spoiler (click to show/hide)
At the very end of the game, when you move to the final boss there's a gauntlet of those zombie things that spawn indefinitely, however if you sprint quickly past the first 'spawn point' the others don't trigger.
[close]

Anyway you're going to need all that ammo you saved for what comes next :whew
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #242 on: May 17, 2021, 08:47:56 PM »
watched the story on youtube  :titus

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #243 on: May 17, 2021, 08:59:45 PM »
was watching a playthrough, but after the big tiddy bitch died I lost interest  :heh

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #244 on: May 18, 2021, 07:24:27 AM »

I already beat the game. Had around 200 handgun bullets left since I pumped my heavier stuff into the final boss.

Was questioning if my weapons even did damage as the boss was monologuing.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #245 on: May 18, 2021, 01:30:38 PM »

I already beat the game. Had around 200 handgun bullets left since I pumped my heavier stuff into the final boss.

Was questioning if my weapons even did damage as the boss was monologuing.
Yeah there's quite a few enemies with little feedback.
I was playing Resident Evil 4 the other day and the difference is quite ​something. In RE4 enemies even respond differently based on their environment at times.

In Re Village only the Lycans seem to react to bullets. The castle zombies and most other enemies (although you can disarm them) don't flinch and their heads don't explode either.
I liked the zombies you can set alight that would regenerate in one of the hidden treasure areas, too bad there's only a few in the game.  :lol
Most bosses can only be stunned with flashbangs or beeg explosions.

Also no rocket launcher at the end, is this game even canon?
🤴

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #246 on: May 18, 2021, 07:38:36 PM »
yar

Coax

« Reply #247 on: May 22, 2021, 09:36:27 AM »
Finally got around to playing it a couple days ago. So good :lawd Currently in Heisenburg's section.

Screenshots kept non-spoilery, though seems like most here have already completed it  :-[ Looks beautiful maxed out. The indoor areas of the village have a lovely still life painterly quality.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #248 on: May 22, 2021, 07:06:49 PM »

Interesting but strange how they had to change the main gameplay loop that late during development.
That demo gameplay looks terrible  :doge
🤴

Coax

« Reply #249 on: May 23, 2021, 07:52:21 AM »
Interesting, just saw Marcin Przybyłowicz (The Witcher 3) was involved with the music as the credits rolled.

Ending
Not familiar with RE7 but thought the ending was too sentimental for my tastes, was hoping for something with a little more levity given some of the amusing moments and tone sprinkled through the game.

Would have liked if Heisenberg's section was a touch more interesting than it turned out to be. Was into the style, and Heisenberg himself is the most interesting main antagonist, character-wise, beside Dimitrescu, but the boss encounter I didn't feel carried over much interesting from the prior encounters but it was okay.

Otherwise enjoyed it and was a decent length for what it was.
[close]

Might watch someone play some NG+ to get a sense of whether I'll try it.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #250 on: May 23, 2021, 01:26:33 PM »
Interesting, just saw Marcin Przybyłowicz (The Witcher 3) was involved with the music as the credits rolled.

Ending
Not familiar with RE7 but thought the ending was too sentimental for my tastes, was hoping for something with a little more levity given some of the amusing moments and tone sprinkled through the game.

Would have liked if Heisenberg's section was a touch more interesting than it turned out to be. Was into the style, and Heisenberg himself is the most interesting main antagonist, character-wise, beside Dimitrescu, but the boss encounter I didn't feel carried over much interesting from the prior encounters but it was okay.

[close]

NG+ is interesting because you are much more powerful from the get go and you can skip most cinematics.
It takes about 30 minutes to reach the castle that way  :doge
🤴

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #251 on: May 23, 2021, 04:34:43 PM »

Ending

[close]

NG+ is interesting because you are much more powerful from the get go and you can skip most cinematics.

Can you actually fight the werewolves in the opening scenes instead of running from them?

I ended up beating the game, it was a really fun ride. Some real laugh out loud moments.
rub

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #252 on: May 23, 2021, 04:44:12 PM »

Ending

[close]

Can you actually fight the werewolves in the opening scenes instead of running from them?

I ended up beating the game, it was a really fun ride. Some real laugh out loud moments.
You have all your guns as soon as the guy hands you the sidearm.

There's also an achievement if you beat the Lycan leader in the intro assault.
He apparently shows up under certain conditions.

I was low on ammo so could only take down about 12 or 13 before it ended.
I imagine that after a bunch of New Game + runs and/or infinite ammo upgrades you can crank up the score.
Also, The Duke sells some more guns on New Game +.
🤴

Coax

« Reply #253 on: May 24, 2021, 09:11:29 AM »
Reading there's an exploit for unlocking infinite ammo while restoring the Lei spent for NG+ :thinking

Make a save - sell whatever you have to - upgrade one weapon fully and receive inf ammo unlock - restart original save. Do as many easy challenges as you can, challenge points are more important than lei imo. I'm on my fourth playthrough now and I have stake/syg/sniper/wcx all fully upgraded with inf ammo. I'm playing the game more like an rpg than an action/survival-horror.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #254 on: May 24, 2021, 10:23:05 AM »
I'm playing the game more like an rpg than an action/survival-horror.

:wut :titus
🤴

Coax

« Reply #255 on: May 24, 2021, 10:32:54 AM »
So it seems there are no drops for assault rifle ammo in-world, you can only craft it (which also requires three different parts rather than two), making the WCX far less appealing up until you can afford all the upgrades for infinite ammo  >:(

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #256 on: May 24, 2021, 10:39:15 AM »
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #257 on: May 24, 2021, 12:54:35 PM »
So it seems there are no drops for assault rifle ammo in-world, you can only craft it (which also requires three different parts rather than two), making the WCX far less appealing up until you can afford all the upgrades for infinite ammo  >:(

THE WCX is a veblen good, you're not gonna be able to afford that until you've run through the game several times. The Dragoon is the prole assault rifle of choice.
yar

Bebpo

« Reply #258 on: May 28, 2021, 11:47:21 PM »
Getting back to this. Finished up the castle and the doll estate.

You know, I'm not sure putting a long walking sim portion into an action game RE was a smart idea. Feels like it'll kill replays like MGS4's chapter 3 stealth chapter.

Bebpo

« Reply #259 on: May 28, 2021, 11:49:02 PM »
Also that section is kinda weak because they were like "RE7 was too scary! We will make this one not scary!" which is fine for an action game. But a walking sim that has little gameplay and isn't scary is just kind of ehhhhh.

Bebpo

« Reply #260 on: May 29, 2021, 05:28:35 PM »
Also I don't understand why they held back from going full RE4 on the action. It feels like RE4-2, but the action seems toned down like no combos, which is a shame.

And I want a traditional RE inventory trunk. Why am I carrying around all these old versions of weapons taking up inventory space. And hunting is dumb. Still like the game though, just nitpicking.

thetylerrob

« Reply #261 on: May 29, 2021, 06:01:47 PM »
You're not nitpicking really, the game is actually pretty mediocre. There are lots of design decisions that don't really make much sense and it's obvious that there wasn't a clear direction they wanted to take other than "sorta RE4-ish".

Bebpo

« Reply #262 on: May 29, 2021, 06:52:21 PM »
Well, at least where I'm at I'm still enjoying it a lot. Fun action game.

It is the first FPS ...ever? that the FoV almost makes me feel sick when moving fast in small corridors. Might look into sliding it back.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #263 on: May 30, 2021, 04:19:36 AM »
I'm inclined to agree. I just finished RE7 for the first time and I just don't like FPS RE. The combat isn't fun to me. But at least VII seemed to know what game it wanted to be. VIII just felt like a bunch of ideas with no clear vision or tone.

Playing RE4 as well right now and well it's a lot more fun.

Bebpo

« Reply #264 on: May 30, 2021, 12:13:01 PM »
Ok, finished Reservoir, still good if heavily scripted.

I think RE fans tend to put RE4 on a pedestal so every game is compared and not as good. I like this, I like RE0, I like Code Veronica, I like RE5. I don't think I've ever actively disliked an RE game, but I skipped RE6. RE5 is probably my least favorite but mostly because of co-op AI partner annoyances. If I was playing with a human it'd have been good.

Though that's just for mainline RE. I've never been able to make it through the first few hours of Revelations 1 or 2. They just feel too budget and not very fun to me even though I like old school RE.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #265 on: May 30, 2021, 12:59:16 PM »
I think Village will probably end up being a bottom of the top tier, or top of the middle tier RE game for me at least. Pretty good but not really great.
yar

Bebpo

« Reply #266 on: May 30, 2021, 01:23:03 PM »
So I tried the FoV mod on PC and changed it from 80->90 which is a small change and yeah, interiors look a lot better and less naseau inducing. 80 FOV...wtf Capcom. Even RE7 used 90 FOV. 80 is really weird for a high motion game with small interiors you constantly navigate.

Bebpo

« Reply #267 on: May 30, 2021, 01:42:26 PM »
I just googled what is the point of guarding since I've never blocked once in the game so far and I saw you can use it as an RE4 style kick to make space but defensively vs RE4's offensive kick. Hmmm, I should start guarding sometimes.

Bebpo

« Reply #268 on: May 30, 2021, 11:53:59 PM »
Like halfway through the Factory, game is great.

My biggest annoyance is that the first set of fish you encounter after leaving the castle in the cave to the giant chalice alter...that area becomes 100% inaccessible for the whole game at this point. I didn't kill the fish and so I can't get my fucking movement speed upgrade the whole game because I didn't kill 3 fish in the first couple hours -_-, this has annoyed me to no end the entire game.

I shouldn't have wasted fish on the guard upgrade since I missed those. I've used guarding like once...

Also this game is challenging enough for me. I heard people say it's real easy but I've been running real low scarcity on ammo for all weapons since the stronghold fights, same with first aid which I've gone through a good amount. I always have just enough herbs to have 1 or 2 first aids and that's about it. Combat is just right tension for my run.

paprikastaude

« Reply #269 on: May 31, 2021, 08:01:01 AM »
:snore

Coax

« Reply #270 on: May 31, 2021, 08:07:08 AM »
My biggest annoyance is that the first set of fish you encounter after leaving the castle in the cave to the giant chalice alter...that area becomes 100% inaccessible for the whole game at this point. I didn't kill the fish and so I can't get my fucking movement speed upgrade the whole game because I didn't kill 3 fish in the first couple hours -_-, this has annoyed me to no end the entire game.

The reservoir fish (which I hadn't noticed) also become inaccessible after their section so I think one way or another many don't get all the recipes made in the first run (though I managed to get like 4/6).

Here's a map which points out some other locations. There's also a mini boss to the left of the factory area initial tunnel entrance (forked path beside the 'Good luck' sign), which also contains a storehouse of meat, poultry and a single fish but you'd be past that by now obviously.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 08:43:08 AM by Coax »

paprikastaude

« Reply #271 on: May 31, 2021, 11:20:36 AM »
Game is definitely better on hard, where you at least need some respect even for some standard zombies and those robot goofs. But the intro is too rough, so it's not great to recommend for a first playthrough either.

Bebpo

« Reply #272 on: May 31, 2021, 01:31:23 PM »

The reservoir fish (which I hadn't noticed) also become inaccessible after their section so I think one way or another many don't get all the recipes made in the first run (though I managed to get like 4/6).

Here's a map which points out some other locations. There's also a mini boss to the left of the factory area initial tunnel entrance (forked path beside the 'Good luck' sign), which also contains a storehouse of meat, poultry and a single fish but you'd be past that by now obviously.

Yeah, I went to the old mill. I feel like I fully explored and basically did everything so far (since I'm pretty OCD about that in games I enjoy) and the only thing I missed were three fucking fish -_-

I have every upgrade except movement speed and ironically the movement speed increase is probably the one that would've made the game/combat even more enjoyable since I feel like mobility is a bit slow in this game considering it's an action game. Like seriously, increase the movement speed, add offensive melee options and this would be just as fun as RE4 or RE5 mercs in 1st person.

The game feels like 75% RE4/RE5 action combat with 25% RE1-4 style level design. Like they didn't want to go all in either way, but I think I still think it kinda works. Snorado calls this bottom of the top-tier RE games and that's about what I'm feeling at this point. It's great and fun, but not as good as the classics or RE7 which was a really fresh unique take on the series that worked.

Just wrapped up my work for the day, so probably just gonna play this all day for memorial day off. Should finish it up today. Don't think I'll do a full replay, but I guess I'll try out the mercs mode for a few mins after.

Oh and I never played the two RE7 DLCs, so this is motivating me to play them next.

Game is definitely better on hard, where you at least need some respect even for some standard zombies and those robot goofs. But the intro is too rough, so it's not great to recommend for a first playthrough either.

Eh, some people are better at games than others. I feel like RE8 on normal is about the same difficulty as your average RE on normal, which is fine and hits the right spot. Basically the same difficulty of ammo & health scarcity as the Dead Space games which also nailed this difficulty just right. I'd imagine playing on hard would be closer to something like Evil Within 1 and that was way too hard to the point where the game was less fun because of it.

Coax

« Reply #273 on: May 31, 2021, 01:37:10 PM »
I have every upgrade except movement speed and ironically the movement speed increase is probably the one that would've made the game/combat even more enjoyable since I feel like mobility is a bit slow in this game considering it's an action game.

I got the movement upgrade and it felt like a negligible increase in speed (I honestly wondered if it had even applied at first :doge).

Bebpo

« Reply #274 on: May 31, 2021, 01:44:18 PM »
I have every upgrade except movement speed and ironically the movement speed increase is probably the one that would've made the game/combat even more enjoyable since I feel like mobility is a bit slow in this game considering it's an action game.

I got the movement upgrade and it felt like a negligible increase in speed (I honestly wondered if it had even applied at first :doge).

Well, that's a bummer. But kinda expected.

Bebpo

« Reply #275 on: May 31, 2021, 04:02:23 PM »
Yeah, that propeller man boss fight was fucking awful, especially with the slow as molasses movement run. And the two jetpack dudes in the grinder shaft were pretty annoying too. Otherwise I don't mind these enemies that much. They're a little tedious to fight but not that terrible.

Still, I'm annoyed that I never have any freaking shotgun ammo. I spend all the money maxing out my new shotgun as my main damage dealer and I'm running around with like 3 crafted shots or something. All my pickups are freaking sniper ammo and handgun ammo. Wish crafting shotgun shells at least gave you 5 shots instead of 3 at a time. Also wish the damn merchant would restock ammo so I could at least buy some more. Did the propeller boss with pistol and been trying to snipe these enemies as much as possible to save the little shotgun ammo I have.

Basically where I'm at I have 0 explosive rounds, 3 shotgun shells, ~20 sniper shots, ~80 handgun ammo and a couple mines & pipe bombs. Also like 7 magnum shots I'm saving for the bosses.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #276 on: May 31, 2021, 04:43:45 PM »
You gotta vary up your weapon usage, you can't just pick one thing and use it exclusively (unless you're on an additional playthrough with infinite ammo unlocked, obvs)

Specifically in the factory, shooting the soldats with the sniper rifle is a good way to use some of that sniper rifle ammo and save shotgun rounds
yar

Bebpo

« Reply #277 on: May 31, 2021, 05:19:09 PM »
I am too poor at aiming with a sniper rifle to hit moving targets  :'(

Yeah I vary up weapon usage, but for those guys I was dodging and then doing point blank chest shots x 2-3 until they pop. Prior to the factory I'd use sniper a lot for distant targets and use handgun as much as possible on zombies & werewolves. But anything big I just shotgun shotgun shotgun at point blank like those big axe guys and stuff after using up all my explosive rounds on hand.

I think I started getting real low on shotgun after the old mill axe fight & hammer boss in the stronghold since I used a bunch on them after using up explosive rounds and pipe bombs and mines. I've been using all my crafting mats to make 3 shotgun shells at a time which doesn't seem very efficient since that kills like 1 enemy.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #278 on: May 31, 2021, 05:59:56 PM »
You really gotta work on those sniper skills. It was how I beat most of those Terminator things, that and the shotgun.
The key with Resident Evil sniping is to not aim and chase (you're always too slow) but anticipate where the enemy weakspot will be.
Because all enemies in Village have literally 1 attack style (attack player) sniping becomes easy once you figure out the enemy patterns.
And yep, save some magnum ammo. The final boss is a bullet sponge.

I think one thing that sets apart the middle tier from the top tier Resident Evil games is the progression and pacing.
In Resident Evil 4 you have these seperate areas but somehow it feels like a connected world. Resident Evil 5 and Village etc. feel more like a series of challenges.
Resident Evil Village even more so with the village serving as a hub world and literally 4 doors with 4 bosses and 4 areas.
RE4 is more a chase/heist scenario where you follow Ashley first, then Salazar and finally Sadler. As you move towards your goal you meet other characters (Luis, Ada etc.) and you find notes about what is going on.
In that sense, Leon is really 'crashing the party' while in Resident Evil Village nearly everything revolves around Ethan Winters.

I read that the budget for Resident Evil Village was ~60 million and I think these ~12 hour highly detailed games work best for the series.
I'm not sure where they can take first person Resident Evil next though, I feel 7 and Village have sort of explored all there is to the concept.
🤴

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #279 on: May 31, 2021, 06:01:46 PM »
I would be fine with more horror-y 1st person REs, personally

:yeshrug

yar

Rahxephon91

« Reply #280 on: May 31, 2021, 06:12:25 PM »
I hope they stop these first person games, personally.

They won't though.

Bebpo

« Reply #281 on: May 31, 2021, 06:51:51 PM »
Just died for like the first time in the game on the final boss because I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW TO DODGE THINGS AT MELEE RANGE IN THIS GAME. Like outside the MMO style part with the two trees to hide behind during fireballs I don't understand how to dodge any of these attacks because there is nowhere to go. I side strafe and get hit, I try to run past I get hit, I guard I get hit but for less damage.

This is like the boss fight before it in the cave with the hammer boss. Sure when he jumps down you can run under him, but once he's there why do they make the arena like 2 feet wide, what the fuck can you even do to dodge besides just try to run in circles around him as much as possible. They couldn't make a bigger arena?

Gonna look up a guide for how to dodge this final boss's attacks so I can beat it. I like all the ranged combat in the game, but all these dodge shit while being slow as the hulk bosses from the propeller guy onwards just feel like I'm missing something or this is the wrong game for it. Fights like the castle boss where you'd dodge around using cover of the tower made a lot more sense.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #282 on: May 31, 2021, 06:56:19 PM »
You don't really dodge. You block. An upgraded block pretty much negates damage.

Bebpo

« Reply #283 on: May 31, 2021, 07:29:03 PM »
Yeah, looked up the movelist and beat it on my next try. I could side strafe dodge the flying and dark stuff but for the life of me I could not dodge the spider phase stuff at all. Ended up just blocking everytime spider was up and was fine. I wonder if I have the movement speed upgrade if it would've been easier to side strafe dodge.

I feel like everything from propeller man onwards plays like a different game than everything that came before. The engine isn't really built for these small arena dodging moves. I think if they wanted to go this direction they should've given a left stick click in side strafe dodge move.

Also at first I was digging the Call of Duty stuff. Like it was less dumb than Hitman 3's final stage and sorta worked. But then that horde section...ehhhhh, I beat it on my first attempt but I really feel like you should've had a 3rd weapon available between reloads of the SMG. Pistol has so few bullets it doesn't do shit and once you run through grenades & flashes, it's just sorta running and trying not to die between SMG reloads.

Bebpo

« Reply #284 on: May 31, 2021, 07:33:40 PM »
Still liked the game a lot. The end stuff definitely feels weaker to me (I don't even understand what I was supposed to be doing during the on-foot portion of the mecha battle. You move so fucking slow. At least the mecha part was fine), but it's not enough to sink the game from being great.

I think the game overall feels like a halfway between RE4 and RE5 but in first person. Better than RE5, but not as good as RE4.

Also the story has one of my pet peeves

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think it's dumb to kill off a major character and bring them back to kill them again -_-

Also if Ethan was moldy why could you die in the game? Shouldn't you be god mode until the end thing that somehow drains Miranda and Ethan's mold abilities?
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #285 on: May 31, 2021, 07:43:49 PM »
I'm also slightly bugged by how much stuff is easily missable and there's no clearly marked point of no return for a metroidvania-ish level design.

I don't think I ever found the ball machine in the factory though I found the ball?

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #286 on: May 31, 2021, 07:51:15 PM »
It was in a room right next to the elevator on one of the floors. Surprised you could miss that tbh  :lol

But yeah, I also missed some stuff where I just couldnt go back. Which sucked.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #287 on: May 31, 2021, 07:59:43 PM »
I missed the factory ball machine too fukken ripppp

Bebpo

« Reply #288 on: May 31, 2021, 08:10:29 PM »
Playing Mercenaries definitely helps on learning melee range dodging and guarding.

But Mercs mode feels pretty bleh compared to the RE5 one. The movement/combat just feels so slow here and holy shit the rate of fire on these weapons is beyond terrible in this mode. Finished the village one and no interest in playing anymore of that mode.

Wouldn't mind replaying the main game, but probably good at this point.

Bebpo

« Reply #289 on: May 31, 2021, 08:33:57 PM »
Anyhow, I think RE8 looked pretty good. It did itself no favors with the lighting/RTX by taking places in all white snow middle of the night no lighting at all outside for most of the game, but some of the interiors and daylight look really nice. RE7 looked pretty amazing at release and this is a slight upgrade.

Bebpo

« Reply #290 on: June 01, 2021, 12:22:58 AM »
Started a 2nd run with unlimited ammo for base pistol & base shotgun with the idea of conserving ammo until later on and then switching to the endgame weapons.

Got to the mannequin room in about 1:15. Man this game is so scripted for replays, haven't really enjoyed this run much and probably gonna bail. Was thinking about speedrunning and conserving materials and money and upgrading my endgame weapons out to max to then go into the harder difficulties with tons of ammo/health/materials and maxed out weapons, but this is just too boring.

Oh yeah and I got my fish and got the movement speed upgrade and don't even notice the difference.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 12:27:14 AM by Bebpo »

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #291 on: June 01, 2021, 09:27:40 PM »
When I was playing the first time I had a corrupted file so I couldn't progress past Mia getting lit up. I was definitely thinking that whole section would be annoying as shit on play through two. There's also that whole bit with the survivors that I bet sucks too. On reflection, that whole survivor section made it seem like some of those characters might be important, but they all got killed instantly  :lol  I thought that weird girl might have been relevant later. Wait was she mother miranda in disguise or some shid?

I think the middle two lords might be not so great on playthrough two as well, although fish guys water world might be okay

I gotta admit though even though some parts of this game feel a little rough around the edges I had a ridiculous amount of fun with it. More so than lots of other games I've played recently, and I think it's more fun than RE7- Having more than 3 enemies types make a huge difference. I also think the shooting and combat mechanics generally felt great, although in the bosses you feel the limitations of 1st person with how awkward movement and evasion can be with that narrow viewpoint.

I kinda just like how nutty it is in some parts, snappy gameplay. scratching the run around solving puzzles dodging zombies RE itch. It's pretty fucked/crazy how since re7 we've basically got 3 almost goated RE games compared to the mountainous mediocrity that came before it

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #292 on: June 01, 2021, 09:38:13 PM »
...y'all know you can skip "cutscenes" in the game, right?
yar

Bebpo

« Reply #293 on: June 01, 2021, 11:07:21 PM »
...y'all know you can skip "cutscenes" in the game, right?

Of course, I just finished my speedrun in 2:45 with a few minor side stuff like taking out that one beast in the scarecrow field for the challenge and every single time the game started to take controls from me I was hammering start button to see if it would let me skip.

The problem is that about 50% of the times the game takes away control from you it's just for a few seconds in-game and not a cutscene and you can't skip these. It's not that they add a ton of time but that getting constantly interrupted just kills the flow in a speedrun.

Bebpo

« Reply #294 on: June 01, 2021, 11:09:47 PM »
No idea what to do now.

Taking out challenges on my second run I basically have enough points to buy infinite ammo any weapon. I could go for village of shadows, but is it actually difficult if you have a maxed out magnum with infinite ammo? I can't imagine anything they throw at you would be an issue with that and maybe infinite grenade launcher.

I could try doing hardcore or village of shadows without using any of the cheat weapons and just using my maxed weapons with all the tons of ammo and mats I saved (I didn't craft once on my 2nd run and just stocked up on mats for the no-crafting challenge).

Idk.

Also I had one fucking death from a bit with the fish scripted chase where I swore I made it but it killed me and I didn't want to redo the last 6 mins from my last save so I just lived with it. Didn't see any challenges for 0-death so didn't care.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #295 on: June 01, 2021, 11:11:37 PM »
Once I had infinite ammo on the STAKE (halfway through hardcore playthrough) I basically lost interest in the game. It completely trivializes everything but boss fights, and even those are way less nerve wracking.
yar

Bebpo

« Reply #296 on: June 01, 2021, 11:14:23 PM »
...and I think it's more fun than RE7- Having more than 3 enemies types make a huge difference. I also think the shooting and combat mechanics generally felt great, although in the bosses you feel the limitations of 1st person with how awkward movement and evasion can be with that narrow viewpoint.

I started playing RE7 Not a Hero DLC last night, the controls and shooting feel really bad compared to RE8.

Also RE7 definitely looks dated. RE8 is a major graphics upgrade. RE7 looks pretty blurry/low res up close to anything.

The one thing RE7 Not a Hero has over RE8 is the feeling of shooting Chris's pistol is pretty awesome, like the whole controller shakes and it feels badass. Also being able to shoot stagger and then punch enemies. I can't believe an RE7 DLC has that but they didn't put it in RE8?? wtf Capcom.

Bebpo

« Reply #297 on: June 01, 2021, 11:50:43 PM »
Started a Village of Shadows run. Even with infinite ammo that intro is brutal since the lycans have so much HP and kill you in 2 hits.

But it also reminded me that on replays the worst part of the game is how loooong the intro is. The game doesn't really start until the castle and there's maybe 20-30 mins of stuff before it even skipping cutscenes. Whereas the doll house skipping cutscenes took me about 13 mins total, still a bit longer but in the middle of the game it's fine. The intro is just pretty lengthy before getting to the shooty shoot killing stuff on your ng+

Bebpo

« Reply #298 on: June 02, 2021, 01:55:22 AM »
RE7 Not a Hero Chris DLC was pretty mediocre coming from RE8, makes me wonder if RE7 doesn't hold up real well. Loved it at the time and was very impressed by the visuals. But now it looks muddy and the gameplay is clunky. Having a few enemy types and all just mold is zzz. That said at least the movement speed is closer to a normal FPS and not the slow moving in RE8.

Started End of Zoe DLC and this is the dumbest shit ever. Redneck stereotype DLC episode, eat those critter crawlies and punch those gaters! :doge

Yeah, I'm beginning to think RE7 doesn't hold up very well. In comparison RE8 is a lot more fun to play.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #299 on: June 02, 2021, 05:50:05 AM »
Hey, no shitting on my boy Joe Baker. It's the sequel to Bayou Billy we never got.