Author Topic: Cindi misses GTA to DEATH so she replays them in this thread.  (Read 4860 times)

Himu

Re: Cindi misses GTA to DEATH so she replays them in this thread.
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2020, 05:58:16 PM »
I'm not dissing Crazy Taxi. I'm just saying I love GTA taxi missions more. It's so relaxing to me. Last night I did like 40 fares just because I find it fun as fuck.
IYKYK

BisMarckie

« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2020, 06:05:40 PM »
I get that, I sometimes play Euro,Truck Simulator 2  :doge

That game is better than it has any right to be

Tuckers Law

« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2020, 06:29:48 PM »
I liked both quite a lot, especially the crazy box shit on the Dreamcast and GameCube releases.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2020, 07:56:51 PM »
getting max level in the ambulance game in gta3 is still on the short list of most frustrating things i've ever done in a game.
pcp

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2020, 09:44:07 AM »
getting max level in the ambulance game in gta3 is still on the short list of most frustrating things i've ever done in a game.

The only time I did it was on the PC version where I modded the ambulance to give it decent handling.

The one in San Andreas is a cakewalk if you do it in Angel Pine.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2020, 07:08:31 PM »

I remember being so hyped, waiting for Liberty City Stories on PS2 to arrive (i didn't have a PSP at the time), and "getting ready" for it by playing Ambulance R3 missions over-and-over in GTA III. They're nearly impossible. GTA III has no map, and that horrible cardinal-direction camera with no analog control, and that ambulance wants to tip over all the time, and is made of candyfloss. Then it turns out LCS has full camera control, a street map, and maybe tuned Ambulance values. I ended up clearing it completely on my first try.

Honestly, I was briefly thrilled and then a little disappointed. :lol

Himu

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2020, 07:32:26 PM »

I've done it on pc. I find it easier there than on console. Idk if they made it easier or what

I've always found it easier on the second island and shoreside vale than the first island.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 07:44:37 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2020, 07:49:49 PM »
Anyways, want to emphasize how well designed this game is?

I've always loved how everything connects together and you're constantly unlocking crap but I appreciate it even more now almost 20 years down the line when multiple open world games don't have cool unlocks or rewards at all. It gives you so many incentives to fuck around and explore and that's what I've always loved about it. Like collecting 10 hidden packages actually gives you utility, getting weapons at your hideout, for FREE, with lots of ammo is a massive reward. Like usual, I'm always interested in exploring random places that are abandoned to see what I can find: a shield? hidden package? A free weapon? Its been so long since I've played III I forgot some secrets' locations and it's constantly teasing and giving me new crap, and I haven't even gotten off Portland yet. Doing Vigilante missions gets you police tokens at your hideout. Doing ambulance gives you free health and adrenaline at your hideout on top of infinite sprint upon completion. Unfortunately in III you don't become fireproof upon beating the firetruck missions but you do get a flamethrower which is just as cool.

Once the IV era began, side missions and exploring granted you far less utility. You don't steadily build up a monster of a character after hours of completing different activities, and it's what I've missed so much from the III era, where exploring every nook and cranny felt like it had its own reward.

III era is still GTA at its peak, I don't care what anyone else says. I like IV and love V, but damn, they're still not as fun to me.

Now that I've done 20 police missions, taken out 20 fires;etc. I will continue the story. Just started the Triad story line.

Still one of my favorite lines:

Joey: "Chunky Lee Chong is pushing SPANK for some new gang from Colombia or Colorado or something. I'm not really sure. Who needs details? You'll find him in Chinatown."

:dead
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 07:54:32 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2020, 07:57:42 PM »
One thing I noticed in just a few minutes of fucking around in VC was how much funnier and more clever the satire on the radio was in the PS2 era compared to 5, which is just so on the fucking nose and loud and obnoxious.

Yup.

VCPR is the height of GTA talk radio.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2020, 11:22:27 PM »
GTA radio storylines >>>>>>> GTA campaign storylines
pcp

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2020, 11:13:21 AM »
Anyways, want to emphasize how well designed this game is?

I've always loved how everything connects together and you're constantly unlocking crap but I appreciate it even more now almost 20 years down the line when multiple open world games don't have cool unlocks or rewards at all. It gives you so many incentives to fuck around and explore and that's what I've always loved about it. Like collecting 10 hidden packages actually gives you utility, getting weapons at your hideout, for FREE, with lots of ammo is a massive reward. Like usual, I'm always interested in exploring random places that are abandoned to see what I can find: a shield? hidden package? A free weapon? Its been so long since I've played III I forgot some secrets' locations and it's constantly teasing and giving me new crap, and I haven't even gotten off Portland yet. Doing Vigilante missions gets you police tokens at your hideout. Doing ambulance gives you free health and adrenaline at your hideout on top of infinite sprint upon completion. Unfortunately in III you don't become fireproof upon beating the firetruck missions but you do get a flamethrower which is just as cool.

Once the IV era began, side missions and exploring granted you far less utility. You don't steadily build up a monster of a character after hours of completing different activities, and it's what I've missed so much from the III era, where exploring every nook and cranny felt like it had its own reward.

III era is still GTA at its peak, I don't care what anyone else says. I like IV and love V, but damn, they're still not as fun to me.

Now that I've done 20 police missions, taken out 20 fires;etc. I will continue the story. Just started the Triad story line.

Still one of my favorite lines:

Joey: "Chunky Lee Chong is pushing SPANK for some new gang from Colombia or Colorado or something. I'm not really sure. Who needs details? You'll find him in Chinatown."

:dead

In III, it's best to take care of the side jobs first before the gangs start to hate you.  The Mafia in particular are a PITA because their shotguns can blow up some cars in one shot.  I also get 20 hidden packages right away so that you have the Uzi at your hideout.  It makes the missions a lot easier.

Himu

« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2020, 11:29:38 AM »
Yeah that's why I did all that before continuing the story.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2020, 09:47:46 PM »
Got most of the Portland cars at the import/export place. I'll wait for Staunton to get the blista. Need to spawn whoopee with vigilante missions.

Ran through most of Portland missions today. Still got it. No mission failures besides one. Missions like Salvatore calls a meeting and Bomb Da Base were easy because of years of muscle memory.

Finishing off everything I want to do in Portland before Salvatore's Last Requests. Need to do the rampages on Portland. Now that the triad war is over it'll be easier to do. Don't feel like dealing with that shit post-Portland.

Should reach Staunton tonight. My favorite island. Here we come :hyper
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2020, 10:58:50 PM »
Piff.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2020, 02:51:44 AM »
Got a new 360 and this means a way to play GTAIV. DLED my previously bought digital copy. It looks like utter shit. Rockstar, please. I'm begging you, remaster this shit for new consoles. What the fuck.

Anyways, contrary to other people, although I'm critical of it, I actually love GTAIV to a point. The idea of a more realistic GTA actually appeals to me and I always loved the first two boroughs. I think the game falls apart after a specific point, though, and just stops being fun. I've always always adore the beginning area in Broker and moonlighting as a cabbie for Roman's depot. It always pissed me off you have only specific number of taxi missions you can complete before you can't ever again the rest of the entire game. Playing it for thirty minutes, I found myself loving the car controls and their weighted feel. In my older age while playing GTA3, I've somehow steered towards the more lopsided cars I used to hate a long time ago like the old style cab, the Esparanto, the Diablo Stallion;etc. I find these cars consistently fun to control and master now, and GTAIV offers more variations on that car take.

My problems with IV mostly stem from game loop. In 3 trilogy, you unlock hidden crap for unlocks so you can get new stuff and abilities. Like become fire proof, or unlimited stamina, or permanently up your health. So you have a reason to consistently play various missions, beat them, and explore. It works for a genius gameplay loop that constantly gives the player to explore every inch to unlock new crap. I feel Saints Row series has done a better job going with this formula than IV or V and it's a formula that I genuinely love. In IV, hidden packages become pointless. In that game, you have pigeons. Well, killing all 200 pigeons only unlocks a helicopter. Who cares. In III you get something new and cool every 10 packages. This keeps you wanting to explore and unlocking crap. This makes exploration consistent. IV has nothing like this and it's not rewarding. Further, the only special abilities you get are from doing friend relationships and they're basic things like Roman calling a taxi or Jacob coming with a car full of guns. Useful, but not fireproof anything like that.

It's almost like Rockstar didn't understand why some people even liked GTA.

So I'm not opposed some changes. I even love the game in some warped sort of way. Tonight I immediately drove my car on to the beach on Hove and just drove around in circles while listening to music like in the old days. I loved doing things like ordering a taxi and riding in the back, admiring the sights as they drive me. But the core GTA gameplay of abilities, exploration, unlocks is just missing.

Then there's the story. I won't get into it anymore but I feel there was wasted potential here. I like a lot of the early stuff where Niko works for the Feds, the whole Michelle reveal was fantastic, the entire scenario with Vlad and the Russian gangsters...but characters like Brucie and other storylines like Playboy show a tremendous lack of focus. I do love that Niko, like Claude, is basically a hired gun. A low level gangster. That's my shit. No robbing the feds for jetpacks, here. But it's like they were doing too much and it just lacked focus. I feel V had a more focused story. I think IV is at its best when it's more personal. The Glad/Roman section of the game shows this. But then it just wanders all over the place and you're doing this for that crew or that for this crew. It's like ketchup smothered all over a t-shirt at a picnic.

When you compare GTAIV with FFXIII or MGS4, I think GTAIV comes out on top the most by a long shot. I've clocked well over 200-300 hours in the game over the years. I've played and beaten it multiple times. I have such an odd relationship with this game. I love it but I also hate how disappointing it can be because I see the vast potential within it that it never reached because of a lack of focus, odd ideas on story that limited the gameplay variety (Houser going "Niko wouldn't drive an ambulance lol").

I can't wait to revisit it in full after San Andreas.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 03:35:29 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2020, 07:27:53 AM »
Should've gotten the Xbox One X. It runs the game between like 40 and 60 fps. Hovering around 50 fps. Resolution is still kinda crap, but whatever.

Also hoping for a remaster though.

Himu

« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2020, 07:30:44 AM »
Xbox one x has like 25% of 360 games bc and 360 games were what I wanted to play. Psh..
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2020, 11:47:23 PM »
Played more IV. Cars are fun as shit, the city is so detailed and lively but there's no reason to fucking explore it. Where's the reward?! It's so baffling to make a city as amazing as LC in IV and not give the player more incentive to explore it besides explorations sake. An annihilator isn't nearly enough. It's BAFFLING. Game would be a grade A great game even if it still had the same story as long as there were more unlocks, side missions, and rewards.

:stahp WHY

THIS GAME COULD HAVE BEEN A CLASSIC AND MY FAVORITE GTA :stahp
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 11:51:46 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2020, 12:31:54 AM »
well at least there's the comedy club
pcp

Himu

« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2020, 02:01:47 AM »
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2020, 12:26:10 PM »