Author Topic: Cindi misses GTA to DEATH so she replays them in this thread.  (Read 4889 times)

Himu

GTA is one of my all time favorite franchises. There hasn't been a new one since 2013. I NEED TO JACK SOME CARS. Just popped gtaiii into my ps2. My favorite GTA. Wonder what I think about it now.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Cindi misses GTA to DEATH so she replays them in this thread.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 10:07:10 PM »
GTA3 was a pretty mindblowing experience for me back in 2001. Probably the 3D first open world game I ever played.
dog

El Babua

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 10:09:04 PM »
GTA 3 was a legit watershed moment in games.

I was blown away, especially since I was coming off Driver 2 lol

Himu

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 10:09:25 PM »
My dream is for Rockstar to remake III for its 20th anniversary with modern graphics. Keep the same size city and everything. Nice and bite sized but SUPER DETAILED, update some missions for modern sensibilities.

I love this game.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 10:35:48 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 10:11:38 PM »
GTA III has very peculiar difficulty spikes. Most notably the 8 ball mission where trapping him underneath a car and sniping all enemies is your best chance at clearing the mission. Enemies will melt you in a lot of missions, the older GTAs are a lot tougher revisiting them versus modern open world games.

I remember the jaw dropping feature from Driver 1 to 2 was being able to leave your car and be on foot. Driver 2 had pretty stylish cutscenes for the time too.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 10:12:53 PM »
I mastered this game. Let's see how I do on that mission this time.

Love I remember every route and alley even after not playing it for so long.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 10:20:26 PM »

Ah, I guess Driver would count as a 3D open-world games, and I played that a ton. Never did play Driver 2, though, so I didn't get that on-foot walking-around-town experience.
dog

Himu

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 10:27:05 PM »
This game feels like a time capsule now. It embodies pre 9/11 America. Fun fact, it came out in 2001. Nearly twenty years ago. Vice city came out twenty years after the yea it takes place in. There has almost been the same amount of time between the release of GTAIII and now versus 1983 (the year vice city  takes place) and when the game was released (2002).
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 10:36:33 PM »
Going from 3 to Vice City is a moment where I'm like "goddamn, why didn't they have motorcycles in 3?" Getting around the pop-in traffic would've been easier.

I never did learn to fly the Dodo in 3 to the Ghost City/opening area.

Himu

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 10:40:29 PM »
I LOVE THIS GAME

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2020, 10:49:13 PM »
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 10:49:16 PM »
My dream is for Rockstar to remake III for its 20th anniversary with modern graphics. Keep the same size city and everything. Nice and bite sized but SUPER DETAILED, update some missions for modern sensibilities.

I love this game.
Yeah that would be amazing.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2020, 11:23:16 PM »
There's some nice-looking mods out there for GTAV including ones to turn it into Vice City.  Rockstar should totally give their older games this treatment.  Works nicely for Saint's Row III Remastered.

ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2020, 11:44:30 PM »
My favorite part of GTAIII was the d&b station... real pirate radio vibes, we had absolutely nothing like this on the radio in NYC in 2001  :lol

^_^

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2020, 11:52:34 PM »
This game feels like a time capsule now. It embodies pre 9/11 America. Fun fact, it came out in 2001. Nearly twenty years ago. Vice city came out twenty years after the yea it takes place in. There has almost been the same amount of time between the release of GTAIII and now versus 1983 (the year vice city  takes place) and when the game was released (2002).

this fact isn't fun it's depressing as hell. fuck me we're getting old.

great games tho
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2020, 11:56:58 PM »
for real though gta3 felt every bit as big as Mario bros or ff7. i played gta1 summer of 01 and imagined a 3d version might happen with ps3 or something. then a few months later here comes gta3 and it's even wilder than I'd imagined, with cool shit like real radio stations with djs and commercials, and celeb voices and shit. mgs2 and ffx came out around the same time but it was clear that gta3 would be the future of gaming.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2020, 12:00:48 AM »
Gta3 was one of those rare game changers you rarely see anymore.

I'd go as far as say that gta3 might be the most influential game of the last 20 years. Everyone and their mothers made open world after gta3. You can't have a regular ass snowboard game. Nope, gotta make it open world. What an event of a game.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2020, 12:31:38 AM »
Played all night. Game is still great despite the bad shooting. Tbf it always had bad shooting.
IYKYK

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2020, 05:09:40 AM »
still remember when i was gettng my ps2 back in 01 and was weighing up getting gta 3 or fifa 02 with it and some rando come up to me and told me to "get gta its fucking class mate", still some of the best advice i ever got :whew
(ice)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2020, 05:26:46 AM »

:lawd

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2020, 06:48:04 AM »
having all of the choice cuts from scarface :rejoice
(ice)

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2020, 07:04:22 AM »
GTA III has very peculiar difficulty spikes. Most notably the 8 ball mission where trapping him underneath a car and sniping all enemies is your best chance at clearing the mission. Enemies will melt you in a lot of missions, the older GTAs are a lot tougher revisiting them versus modern open world games.

That one isn't too bad.  There is an adrenaline pill nearby that will slow down everything so you will have plenty of time to snipe the Columbians.

III is still my favorite game of all time despite the wonky aiming.  I love how most of the missions are open ended in how you can tackle them.  Also the difficulty is good.  GTAV was fun but it was way too easy (I think I only had to repeat a mission a couple of times) and it felt more like a standard 3rd/1st person action game instead of an open world one.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2020, 07:08:58 AM »
Interestingly, both GTA and GTA2 are in 3D and open world, they just have locked overhead cameras. They tested the camera down behind the vehicle and didn't like it, the cities are totally polygonal and in GTA2 everything is actually modeled so it can be lit.

I think III is the only one that keeps the overhead camera. (I forget if IV allows it.) It raises the framerate sometimes quite significantly except on the Xbox version.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2020, 07:12:37 AM »
Interestingly, both GTA and GTA2 are in 3D and open world, they just have locked overhead cameras. They tested the camera down behind the vehicle and didn't like it, the cities are totally polygonal and in GTA2 everything is actually modeled so it can be lit.

I think III is the only one that keeps the overhead camera. (I forget if IV allows it.) It raises the framerate sometimes quite significantly except on the Xbox version.
I hated how in GTAIII, with that camera the aspect ratio problems came out super obviously (probably only on the PAL version though).
So if you were driving up or down, the car was shorter, than when driving left or right.

(Some PAL games on PS2 were squashed with black bars, and running at 50hz, instead of 60hz).

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2020, 07:22:23 AM »
IIRC, there are some other perspective bugs when using it even at standard aspect ratios. I'm not sure if the game was long intended to be played in that view ala the first two games, they very early on switched to the behind view as the main one and the realization of what it did for the immersion.

I know I've mentioned it before but I find it one of the more amusing major bugs in a major game. On PS2 and PC, GTA III attempts to draw everything within "view", even if it's occluded and will never be seen. So backs of buildings, stuff behind hills, etc. it all attempts to draw. IIRC, the Xbox version is fixed so it doesn't do this anymore. They also fixed it by VC which really helps its framerate despite all the added everything and no hills to hide anything with. You used to be able to tell on PC's of the era. It's probably a major reason the overhead camera improves the framerate too.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2020, 08:07:33 AM »
Played all night. Game is still great despite the bad shooting. Tbf it always had bad shooting.

Why not play the PC version where you just shoot with your mouse and have free aim? A much better experience :)
What

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2020, 10:12:04 AM »
I have several GTA games on my tablet that I have replayed through over the past few months (before COVID I had a long bus commute).  I have played through III, San Andreas, and Liberty City Stories, currently on Vice City.  I wish Vice City Stories was available on mobile.  I only played through it once on PS2 and remember it being a really fun game.

Himu

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2020, 11:15:13 AM »

Why not play the PC version where you just shoot with your mouse and have free aim? A much better experience :)

I already know and told TIMU about them before because he's too stupid to try them. I don't feel like dling it and the steam versions as far as I am concerned are no longer complete because the music soundtracks have been changed due to licensing. Finally, if I play them on pc I'll have to deal with Rockstar's horrific app.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2020, 11:55:02 AM »

I already know and told TIMU about them before because he's too stupid to try them. I don't feel like dling it and the steam versions as far as I am concerned are no longer complete because the music soundtracks have been changed due to licensing. Finally, if I play them on pc I'll have to deal with Rockstar's horrific app.

1) :umad
2) I played the X-box version and thus that's what I'm used to. I'm not going to relearn muscle-memory just for "better aiming" especially with no improvements that the X-box version did (no shit grain filter, better performance, etc) that never got backported to PC (Fuck you, Rockstar)
3) Steam versions of the 3-era games do not require the Rockstar Launcher. You're thinking of 4 which got retrofitted with that because Rockstar is stupid and couldn't excise GfWL completely.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2020, 12:43:24 PM »

Just pirate the old versions, nobody cares (I agree the Steam versrions suck with removed music)
What

Himu

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2020, 02:50:23 PM »
Nah wanna play with controller rn
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2020, 04:45:16 PM »
I mean not sure, but you could probably use a ds4 for the pc versions and they might work? I dunno
What

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2020, 05:07:26 PM »
I've been playing VC with the definitive mod pack the past week or so. The same guy has similar packs for the other classic R* games. Fixes/restores a lot of broken or removed shit, and uses the best assets/models from the various versions. All the mods included are listed so you could just install individually/manually if you wanted. If you get the definitive pack make sure to get the large address aware fix mentioned in the comments on the steam page.

On controllers, I was able to use a 360 controller just fine for the RC copter mission thanks to the included GInput mod (it even adds 360/DS controller icons). Aside from that mission I haven't bothered with a controller, but I'm sure you can rebind buttons and enable console auto aim (if not there is probably a mod for that).
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2020, 05:27:34 PM »
I was talking to a friend recently about what our dream 6 would be and I'd really like them to go back to a mute protagonist. Take it a step further though and just make it a custom character to further integrate GTA:O into GTA. Set it right back in LC too.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
also bring back GTAIV car physics bless up
[close]

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2020, 05:40:11 PM »
i can't decide which is better, GTA3 or Vice City

maybe i'd go with GTA3, the setting actually is a bit better, that grimy liberty city esthetic, there's something about it that's really nice, a vibe u dont get anywhere in vice city
Same, but bikes and helicopters in VC are God Tier.
The map is really boring though, i get that Miami is geographically flat, but there's very little variety and it feels smaller than 3's.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2020, 05:50:17 PM »
I was talking to a friend recently about what our dream 6 would be and I'd really like them to go back to a mute protagonist. Take it a step further though and just make it a custom character to further integrate GTA:O into GTA. Set it right back in LC too.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
also bring back GTAIV car physics bless up
[close]

This is what I thought GTA:O was supposed to be, like you could create an online character that you could level up and then use in the single player mode as one of the people on big missions like heists, and then use the money you got from that to buy stuff in online.  But I guess that would take some skill vs whales spamming Shark Cards.

Himu

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2020, 07:08:02 PM »

I'd like this.

There would be no reason to make them mute though. Saints Row also has custom character and they talk in 2 and 3.

Not that I have a problem with mute.

I love how cool and laid back Claude is.

Luigi: Some wiseguy has been introducing this trash to my girls down in Portland Harbor. Introduce a BAT TO HIS FACE! Then take his car, RESPRAY IT! I WANT COMPENSATION FOR THIS INSULT!

*Claude  just does a cool head nod*

I love being a low level criminal for hire in GTA3. I dislike the rags to riches get rich stuff in VC, SA, and V. It works well for VC considering the Scarface theme but I want to play a downright THUG.

Claude the GOAT.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 07:23:19 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2020, 11:46:50 PM »
I like GTA3 more. Mostly because I like the city more and it's the first one I played. Got it with my PS2 for Xmas 2001 and life was never the same. I've never been to Miami, but I am from Chicago. So Liberty City is more recognizable to me.

Also as I've gotten older I kind of like the simpler and more stylishly told story. It's a strange minimal and abstract Mafia story with a whatever lead. Compared to Vice and San Andreas which wear their movie inspirations on their sleeve and the very please take me seriously 4.

Himu

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2020, 12:01:07 AM »
gta3 easily has my favorite gta story. 2's is cool too.

It's so minimalist and straight to the point. As Rah said, I love how more abstract and yet normal it is. I feel like they try too much after Vice City. San Andreas is almost non sensical, I won't get into IV as it's beating a dead horse, I loved some ideas in V but it has a lot of bad part too. III is the most grounded (next to Vice) and it's about the city as much as it's about Claude. The gangsters you work for and their rivalries make up the entirety of the story and what it conveys. TBH, that's enough for me. This is why I really liked Saints Row 2 and its story. Keep it simple. Keep it about gangs.

The mission where the Godfather betrays Claude :delicious

The mission where you assassinate him :delicious

IYKYK

El Babua

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2020, 12:26:48 AM »
My favorite part about the design of GTA 3 is how open ended the missions are. It felt like the developers were designing both the map and the missions simultaneously, while in later games, they felt more and more separate.

Also, the whole "Gang War" period in the game between the mafia and the Traids was fucking awesome. Fucking gunfights and exploding cars busting out of every corner of the map. IIRC it even persists in-between missions until you blew up the fish factory or something. Absolutely stunned no other GTA game kept that concept going.

Himu

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2020, 12:28:45 AM »
"More tolerable, less annoying, b better variety of weird noises between songs, the station your parents warned you about, more commercials, fewer songs, bigger contests, more winners, fewer positioning statements! This Is The One and Only.... HEAD RADIO!"

The satire was the best in III and VC. It feels like they try too hard now. It's too crude these days. This was very on point for radio stations back then.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2020, 12:33:22 AM »
My favorite part about the design of GTA 3 is how open ended the missions are. It felt like the developers were designing both the map and the missions simultaneously, while in later games, they felt more and more separate.

Same.

Here's a basic early mission:

Chunky Lee Chong. Dude's in Chinatown and has a getaway car if you explore. If you want, you blow it up or full on move it. When you start to chase him you can just go on foot and fill him with lead.

Or you can use the cars remains to block his path so he doesn't come out the alley and just kick hiss ass while he's trying to find an escape.

And that's if you destroy his car. The regular mission route is to have a car chase and get via drive by.

It's a basic mission but shows off how much freedom you have. Later games are far more linear. I think it's because GTAIII was so damn hard and a big part of that was coming up with your own strategy (like taking out Salvatore) so they basically streamlined it.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2020, 12:41:41 AM »
Talking about and playing this makes me sad. People that have known me for a long time know that I was known as the open world person on gaf/thebore. It was one of my favorite genres. Yet I can't get into the modern ones. It sucks hearing all these accolades for stuff like Witcher 3 and thinking it's boring as fuck when you used to love big, open world games the most. Sucks total ass. Haven't played Horizon or those other games. Looking forward to Cyberpunk. Haven't even played RDR2 yet and I used to be a Rockstar diehard that would play everything they make. :fbm

I actually think the genre is much, much worse. Open world games need to take out gps trackers. I know every single location in GTAIII even after years away. It's burned into my brain. Why and how? Taxi missions and exploration without gps. I really enjoyed playing FFVIIR without a map or waypoint. Maybe I just need to turn that shit off to enjoy the games again.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2020, 01:24:05 AM »

Also, the whole "Gang War" period in the game between the mafia and the Traids was fucking awesome. Fucking gunfights and exploding cars busting out of every corner of the map. IIRC it even persists in-between missions until you blew up the fish factory or something. Absolutely stunned no other GTA game kept that concept going.
Didnt San Andreas have a riot phase near the end of the campaign?

El Babua

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2020, 01:38:25 AM »

Didnt San Andreas have a riot phase near the end of the campaign?

Yep! Might have been only before the final mission. Can't remember.

Himu

« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2020, 01:42:21 AM »
yeah it was before final mission
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2020, 10:14:39 AM »

:bow
dog

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2020, 10:26:25 AM »
Talking about and playing this makes me sad. People that have known me for a long time know that I was known as the open world person on gaf/thebore. It was one of my favorite genres. Yet I can't get into the modern ones. It sucks hearing all these accolades for stuff like Witcher 3 and thinking it's boring as fuck when you used to love big, open world games the most. Sucks total ass. Haven't played Horizon or those other games. Looking forward to Cyberpunk. Haven't even played RDR2 yet and I used to be a Rockstar diehard that would play everything they make. :fbm

I actually think the genre is much, much worse. Open world games need to take out gps trackers. I know every single location in GTAIII even after years away. It's burned into my brain. Why and how? Taxi missions and exploration without gps. I really enjoyed playing FFVIIR without a map or waypoint. Maybe I just need to turn that shit off to enjoy the games again.

Have you played Breath of the Wild at all? It's one of the only open world games I've enjoyed in about 15ish years.

Also, this thread is making me want to play SR 2-4 again (Vice City to a lesser extent, too)
yar

Himu

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2020, 12:11:47 PM »
BOTW did resurrect my open world spirit. Still haven't beaten it. Game too huge.
IYKYK

Tuckers Law

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2020, 12:13:52 PM »
You gotta get back on it, Hyrule Castle is a godlike experience IMO.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2020, 12:19:29 PM »
BOTW did resurrect my open world spirit. Still haven't beaten it. Game too huge.

I sympathize. At one point I was like, "well, I guess if I don't just fucking beat this I'll wander around forever" which wouldn't have been awful but I had promised my roommate she could play the game when I beat it and the last week or so I was playing she would just hang out in my room and watch me like a weirdo so I wanted to be done with it.

You gotta get back on it, Hyrule Castle is a godlike experience IMO.

lol, I actually avoided most of the castle by brewing up a fuck ton of stamina items and then just climbing the castle/tower from the back all the way to the top.
yar

MMaRsu

• Administrator
What

Tuckers Law

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2020, 01:02:36 PM »

lol, I actually avoided most of the castle by brewing up a fuck ton of stamina items and then just climbing the castle/tower from the back all the way to the top.

I feel that’s the beauty of it, hyrule castle is a continuing extension in the games core design of being able to solve situations or puzzles “however you see fit”, and it was a treasure trove of geeking out for those like myself that love to explore all the nooks and crannies.  It’s my hope that dungeons in BOTW2 have more of that kind of design flavor.

Cheddahz

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2020, 09:47:08 PM »
this thread is making me want to play gta3 for the first time

bluemax

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2020, 10:02:39 PM »
Since there's nowhere to really go right now, I fired up GTA:SA on my PS4 just to feel like I was driving around LA again.

Things that are still good about that game:

The atmosphere (something about the over the top orange of Los Santos works)
The music

Things that are even worse than I remember:

The controls
Shooting

Love to be looking right at someone, have my character oriented towards the, press R1 to lock and and the camera spins and faces the entire other direction. This lock on makes From's implementation in Dark Souls look competent.
NO

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2020, 05:30:02 PM »
"This lock on makes From's implementation in Dark Souls look competent."

**praises the sun**

Himu

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2020, 05:30:57 PM »
Just coming to remind you that GTAIII owns. I still love taxi missions. I think I prefer GTA's taxi missions to actual Crazy Taxi.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 05:38:12 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

BisMarckie

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2020, 05:37:39 PM »
Do you mean Crazy Taxi or the movie?

Himu

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2020, 05:38:25 PM »
Do you mean Crazy Taxi or the movie?

I'm getting old. Thanks for the correction.
IYKYK

BisMarckie

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2020, 05:45:02 PM »
I have to disagree about Crazy Taxi, while the actual driving is kinda meh, but that game is so much better than the sum of its parts. That oldschool arcade feel, that soundtrack and that announcer going Hey Hey, let‘s go make some crazy money. :lawd