Author Topic: Ghost of Tsushima (Iki Island Expansion out Aug. 20th)  (Read 11196 times)

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
Re: Ghost of Tsushima
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2020, 10:12:24 AM »
The lack of lock on is outrageous really :gurl

Games decent otherwise, aside from the soyny mandated shitty climbing they insist on in every game and dog shit camera :stahp
(ice)

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2020, 12:10:30 PM »
I don't understand the no lock-on, does every attack just massively track?

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2020, 12:22:54 PM »
It's like batman where you just point the stick in the direction of the enemy you want to attack.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2020, 12:58:31 PM »
Ninja Gaiden (3d) has no lock on and works mostly fine (although it also has shitty camera).
And even a game like Bayonetta you usually don't lock on.
Many of these games have a soft lock-on the game does automatically, when you input the general direction of an enemy, which tbh is the sensible way to do it in games with big crowds circling you, with enemies that die in two hits.
Lock on is too slow of a mechanic when you need to redirect attacks to the enemy behind you, mid-combo.

One of the reasons Souls games (heavily reliant on lock on) are so shit at handling crowd combat.

Didn't play the game yet, only seen a  bunch of gameplay and combat "deep dives", but from what i've seen of the game, the shit camera is more of a problem than the absent lock on, with no transparency for objects in the foreground, and in general a complete inability to follow the action, which is further exacerbated by the action happening on the face buttons (so you can't keep your thumb on the right stick).
Giving the camera a bit of an AI, following the action better, and perhaps not having off screen enemies initiate attacks without a very obvious (sound?) tell, would probably fix things better than a lock on would.

Svejk

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2020, 01:54:29 PM »
I don't see the problem with no lock on.  :idont The combat seems quick and accurate enough to not need it.   Played enough Dragon's Dogma to get use to that. Lol

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2020, 02:09:16 PM »
Le frame rate can get nasty too on the PS4poor :fbm

(ice)

El Babua

« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2020, 03:09:11 PM »
https://twitter.com/rockanrollphoto/status/1284819110396862464

Game sounds like p.cool. Will buy when on sale.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2020, 06:10:36 PM »
I don't understand the no lock-on, does every attack just massively track?
It technically is locking on based on which direction you tilt the right stick+attack button, but there is no icon.

When surrounded by enemies, it is most similar to Old Assassin's Creed or Shadow of War/Batman but without the button prompts.
It's like batman where you just point the stick in the direction of the enemy you want to attack.
Yup.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2020, 06:29:52 PM »
Game is kind of boring so far.

And I don’t know about this combat so far..

I’m doing the roll stuff for the highlighted enemies and I simply fine myself rolling away and then have to figure out where they are.

Also the story is pretty boring and honestly game ain’t that visually impressive. Character models are meh and animate kind of PS3 genish. The weeb in me can only wonder what actual Japanese artist would create. Probably better looking characters.

And the story is pretty boring and not all to the supposed caliber of Sony first party.

I don’t know. Just feels like a pretty average game with good production values.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 11:56:35 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2020, 06:35:35 PM »
And one thing I think Asian movies, games, media whatever does well is give characters presence.  A character may not be the most developed, but they have something that makes them known. A type of personality, design, a weapon, a way about them.

It’s usually why I like boss battles in Japanese games, because there’s usually a sort of character to them.

Here everyone is serious and boring. Nothing that makes them enduring.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 07:30:41 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2020, 08:19:17 PM »
And one thing I think Asian movies, games, media whatever does well is give characters presence.  A character may not be the most developed, but they have something that makes them known. A type of personality, design, a weapon, a way about them.

It’s usually why I like boss battles in Japanese games, because there’s usually a sort of character to them.

Couldn't this be a byproduct of this game being more grounded, compared to what (modern) Japanese games usually do? Like think Sekiro or Nioh, they're extremely fantasy.
Even though this one also seems to be relatively stylized, the map at least doesn't seem very natural looking.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2020, 11:50:38 PM »
Definitely a solid B-tier game to me so far. Hopefully as more opens up, it will get even better.  The story is fine, although younger Jin in the flashback sequences is annoying.

The camera in battle is a no for me.

Style over substance, Sony’s mantra.

Yeah.  The battle camera is just plain awful at times.  Bad enough to bring the game down.  There was one part where I had to take out a group of something like two archers, two-three swordsmen, and two bigger guys around a house.  The camera kept getting in the way and I couldn't fight them easily enough doing things the 'honorable,' bushido way- just did it Tenchu-style and got up on the roof.  The AI is dumb and stopped looking for me, so I could jump off, stealth kill, and repeat.

honestly game ain’t that visually impressive.

:huh

I am with you on the character models.  Call it a weeb thing, but there is just something about the game that is very "AAA western."  Which makes sense, since that's what the game is.   But the environment is beautiful, holy shit.  Absolutely stunning at times.
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2020, 12:05:57 AM »

Couldn't this be a byproduct of this game being more grounded, compared to what (modern) Japanese games usually do? Like think Sekiro or Nioh, they're extremely fantasy.
Even though this one also seems to be relatively stylized, the map at least doesn't seem very natural looking.
Maybe.

Since I did'nt really follow this game I kind of went in expecting something like Red Dead Redemption or Witcher 3. "HBO" type and tone of storytelling, basically trying to be more gritty and realistic. So you'd have characters of all shades dealing with "gritty realism problems".  What I feel like I'm getting is "Stars" level. Like it may look like it's trying to be more on the surface, but so far it's the same bog standard "Samurai fight honorable"spiel.

As for the "characters" comment I made. My main experince with samurai stuff is obviously on the weeb level. But I'm not finding this game anymore grounded then the Vagabond manga and that's full of colorful characters. A deaf mute sword prodigy, a trickstar monk mentor,  a hedonistic samurai, and so on. So far most people here aren't that engaging and it's not hitting that Samurai story itch I thought maybe it would.

And yeah I find the environments to look great on an artistic and I guess technical level, but nothing that really has blown me away. I mean Last of US 2 was this year, and even things like VII Remake excel at animation and character models.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 12:45:06 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Svejk

« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2020, 09:18:04 AM »
Yeah no, this game is visually impressive... especially being open world and on PS4... no anime titties required. I kinda like how Jin has a bit of mongoloid-ism to his model (at certain camera angles).    And dem load times...  :lawd 

I convinced myself prior that I would go all-in shinobi, but I find the bushido parts much more enjoyable than I expected and enjoy those parts as well..   I came over a hill and a large group of Mongols were on my direct path heading right towards me... I stood there and let them come to me... I massacred them and it felt so damn satisfying.  Only camera nitpick I have, is that it could be a bit quicker... I need to adjust that, assuming there's a slider for that in the options.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 01:14:54 PM by Svejk »

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2020, 10:32:07 AM »
Yes, therre's a camera speed in the options.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2020, 02:17:24 PM »
If you could be bothered you could probably bang out an easy outrage thinkpiece accusing the game of being problematic in stereotyping Japanese as always shiteing on about their honour :lol
(ice)

bluemax

« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2020, 02:46:00 AM »
https://twitter.com/rockanrollphoto/status/1284819110396862464

Game sounds like p.cool. Will buy when on sale.

At another onsen I had my character reflect on how he hadn't gotten laid in awhile.

This game borrows a lot design wise from Infamous. So much of the mission design is pulled from those games, which makes sense of course. I actually kind of appreciate that they don't really gate you off from unlocking pretty much everything in the first act.
NO

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2020, 10:43:44 AM »
it would be a pretty great game if the camera wasn't so shit and the story wasn't so boring and self serious :trumps

camera be way better if it pulled out a bit when you get into a fight :brain
(ice)

Let's Cyber

« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2020, 10:30:17 PM »
Into Act II. Put in around 25-ish hours. I have almost all of the skills unlocked.

I'd argue this doesn't do any singular aspect exceptionally well (EDIT: I take that back, both the soundtrack and sound design are top notch) besides the very beautiful environments, which become a lot more varied in the other parts of the island. Even with its faults, it has a relatively high level of polish all around. I'm enjoying the combat and really like the standoff mechanic. The camera problem is real but hasn't been a game breaker by any means. If I'm surrounded by enemies, the first thing I do is run to a more open area. Minimizes some of the frustration I was having. Main story is super dry but I'm liking the side characters and stories a lot more anyway.

Even without finishing it, I can safely say this beats the breaks off of any Assassin's Creed from this generation. I find the combat much more enjoyable than Origins or Odyssey. Relative to another Sony published open world game, I'd say it's a notch below HorizonZD but I really enjoyed that title.

One minor complaint is I think they should have had the perfect parry and perfect dodge skills unlocked by default a la BotW. One of the downsides of having skill trees in the first place is needing to artificially shove standard game play mechanics into it to justify the skill tree's existence.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 12:22:31 AM by Let's Cyber »

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2020, 11:05:04 PM »

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2020, 01:08:47 AM »
Really finding myself enjoying the game. But god damn, that camera + no lock on? Bitch, please. Either fix the camera or give me a fucking lock on. Sheesh.
que

EightBitNate

« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2020, 01:45:23 AM »
Really finding myself enjoying the game. But god damn, that camera + no lock on? Bitch, please. Either fix the camera or give me a fucking lock on. Sheesh.

Yeah trees and shit can block your view a lot. I don’t know what they were thinking not including a lock-on button, but I’m still really enjoying the combat on hard mode.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2020, 03:03:13 PM »

Yeah trees and shit can block your view a lot. I don’t know what they were thinking not including a lock-on button, but I’m still really enjoying the combat on hard mode.
Just add a transparency like most games have.

EightBitNate

« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2020, 03:56:58 PM »
I don't understand the lock-on complaints... you point towards enemies and it locks on automatically.

The camera could be improved but it's the nature of these point and click action games to some extent.  I've gotten over it after initially thinking I'd hate it.

The problem is this game doesn’t do that thing where one enemy attacks at a time. There can be 3 guys all swinging at you and it’s difficult trying to make sure you hit the right one. I’ve got into the habit of drawing enemies out one at a time.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2020, 04:25:35 PM »
They should've just used that japanese spectactle fighter thing where objects obscuring vision become semi-transparent.

Also, give me an option to zoom out the camera a bit.

EightBitNate

« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2020, 05:22:50 PM »
It’s not rocket science. Sekiro had a lock-on button last year and also had multiple enemies attack you at once.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2020, 06:44:11 PM »
It’s not rocket science. Sekiro had a lock-on button last year and also had multiple enemies attack you at once.
Sekiro is not a great example.
All FROM games (i mean soulsborne games, not Armored Core ofc) are terrible at handling crowd combat.
Again, there are multiple action games that work with crowds and don't really have (or rarely use) a lock on button, and just rely on soft lock.

Svejk

« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2020, 06:55:22 PM »
Sekiro's the worst when it comes to the lock-on disengaging whenever it feels like it... usually at the time you need it the most.  :doge

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2020, 07:46:48 PM »
Sekiro's the worst when it comes to the lock-on disengaging whenever it feels like it... usually at the time you need it the most.  :doge
Yeah but all Souls game have that bullshit where a massive beasts jumps too high and you're unlocked.   >:(

Rahxephon91

« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2020, 11:40:58 PM »
Lock on wouldn’t have worked this game or rather the thing they are trying to imitate. Which is that scene in samurai movies where the samurai basically stays in place and with ease slashes each person with precision sword cuts. I mean it curbs from Batman, but to me Batman is more about a rhythm and here it’s more less timed button presses and more reaction button presses. Where you can really stay in place and look badass as you calmly dispatch the unrefined enemies.

Or at least that’s my take, my impression from what they were trying to do.

I think in my experience so far(though I think I’m getting better at it) I am rolling around too much and this finding myself not right next to enemies and having the camera lose track of them.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2020, 04:42:39 AM »
I've just gotten used to kiting enemies to clearings so we can have an honorable duel.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2020, 08:01:54 AM »
More SunhiLegend... 

https://twitter.com/i/status/1285353539045404678

Having such withdrawals.. Haven't played since Sunday and won't get back to it till tomorrow.  :noah

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2020, 10:14:37 AM »
Since you people on the bore are huge ornithologists. The yellow bird you follow to objectives is a black-naped oriole.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2020, 10:45:53 AM »
Some of the stills for this game look amazing, I'm not much for western AAA gameplay but if this gets a PS5 remaster I'd be all over it just for the sake of content tourism.
^_^

Let's Cyber

« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2020, 01:19:44 PM »
I saw someone else mention this and I totally agree; Ryuzo should have been the main character.

Being the skilled nobody forced to prove your worth in a highly stratified system is 100x more interesting than being the adopted son of the rich, island ruling asshole. They also could have done some fun stuff with the player character being the leader of the straw hats.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2020, 01:32:27 PM »
Well since the story is about the samurai code not maybe being the best way to fight an enemy. I think instead of kind of having a boring stoic whatever blob of a character. I would have written him as a really naive young, but inexperienced samurai born into the code, but not really understanding it.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2020, 01:56:11 PM »
he'd have been better as as anything other than the boring charismaless bastard he is
(ice)

Svejk

« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2020, 04:53:24 PM »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2020, 06:04:15 PM »
Fuck this game looks pretty sweet after all.
I still don't like what i've seen of the world ( i would've preferred a more naturalistic approach, i find their use of color gawdy) but the combat looks fun.
Still gonna wait for it to hit a lower price though.

curly

• cultural maoist

Let's Cyber

« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2020, 11:46:20 PM »
Bit of advice...

Blitz through Act II. Ignore the million question marks and just do the main missions. None of the side quests are missable and you can knock it out in post-game, so you're fine. Shit gets way, way more interesting at the end of II and into Act III.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2020, 05:29:50 AM »
I still don't like what i've seen of the world ( i would've preferred a more naturalistic approach, i find their use of color gawdy)

None of it seems to be particularly unnaturalistic. Giving you a look at my garden might make you puke.

Svejk

« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2020, 11:44:39 AM »
5 hours passed last night like it was nothing.  Progression feels good so far. Got the water stance to take on shield guys much easier.  Fucking bird led me right into an ambush, the little piece of shit.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2020, 10:23:25 PM »
So I've been playing this like Breath of the Wild, not really paying attention to the main story just sorta going where I wanted and finding out what's there. I kept getting to this mongol camp and I kept on getting slaughtered, like they would kill me if they hit me. And so I put in an hour getting "gud" to the point where I could dodge almost everything. And I was like "man, this is sorta hard. Wasn't expecting this level, everyone said it was pretty easy on normal." then I watched a youtube video on tips and they were like "pay attention to the story missions cause they'll get you stuff like Armor." and I was like "THERE'S ARMOR?!" Now I'm a total beast just stomping down anything that comes my way.
que

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2020, 03:39:04 AM »
I've barely unlocked anything yet cause I find the difficulty fun without all the extra crap.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2020, 02:07:14 PM »
I still don't like what i've seen of the world ( i would've preferred a more naturalistic approach, i find their use of color gawdy)

None of it seems to be particularly unnaturalistic. Giving you a look at my garden might make you puke.
Ah, but a garden is purposefully artificial and curated.
Anyway, it's just an impression from all the photo mode shots i've seen floating around, but of course i'll reserve judgment.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2020, 04:25:16 PM »
One of those screenshot threads wouldn't be my go to for checking out a game. Half the time they got these real ugly oversaturated and oversharpened shit in there. They're most likely also handpicked from the setpieces and not what the world looks like 95% of the time.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2020, 01:25:25 PM »
Lol redbox

fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2020, 02:38:21 PM »
Lower intensity combat?  :huh

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2020, 03:11:51 PM »

The full notes:

Later today, patch 1.05 for Ghost of Tsushima will be released, bringing new combat and text options.

This patch includes the following new updates:

New difficulty level: Lethal

– Enemy weapons are more deadly, but Jin’s katana is also more deadly
    – Enemies are more aggressive in combat
    – Enemies detect you faster
    – Tighter Parry and Dodge windows

Patch 1.05 will also include the following new options in the accessibility menu:

Lower Intensity Combat

Lower intensity mode is meant to maintain the heart and feel of Ghost of Tsushima combat while relaxing several timing-specific elements. Combat is less intense, giving you more time to react. Stealth settings are more forgiving, and enemies take longer to detect you.

– Most enemy attacks which are normally unblockable become blockable when Lower Intensity is enabled. Blocking with L1 will keep you safe from more attacks than standard combat, though some attacks must still be dodged.
    – Enemies break off their attack combos after damaging you, giving you a chance to recover before the next wave of attacks. In addition, your heavy attacks will interrupt attacks from Brutes, giving you another way to stop their combos.
    – Enemies will not attack you while you’re using Resolve to heal
    – Enemy awareness builds more slowly, giving you more time to recover after being spotted

Text changes

– Large Text option: Increases text size of subtitles, mission objectives and interact prompts by 150% when enabled
    – Added option to turn speaker name off when subtitles are enabled
    – New subtitle text color options in addition to white: Yellow, Blue, Red, Green

Patch 1.05 also includes additional bug fixes.

:expert
ど助平

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2020, 03:29:15 PM »
Hrmm maybe I should up the difficulty to lethal.
que

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2020, 03:32:20 PM »
Lol redbox

(Image removed from quote.)

Lol I forgot Gamefly even exists. Maybe if I get an email for a trial sometime.
If you try Gamefly with the intention and assumption you will get games same day you will probably hate it - and why you see people cry about it online.

I use Gamefly as a supplement to games I'm currently playing or own - a means to play games I wouldn't really think about buying. You just have to be patient and leave it while you dick off and play other games
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2020, 09:46:06 PM »

The full notes:

Later today, patch 1.05 for Ghost of Tsushima will be released, bringing new combat and text options.

Patch 1.05 will also include the following new options in the accessibility menu:

Lower Intensity Combat

Lower intensity mode is meant to maintain the heart and feel of Ghost of Tsushima combat while relaxing several timing-specific elements. Combat is less intense, giving you more time to react. Stealth settings are more forgiving, and enemies take longer to detect you.

– Most enemy attacks which are normally unblockable become blockable when Lower Intensity is enabled. Blocking with L1 will keep you safe from more attacks than standard combat, though some attacks must still be dodged.
    – Enemies break off their attack combos after damaging you, giving you a chance to recover before the next wave of attacks. In addition, your heavy attacks will interrupt attacks from Brutes, giving you another way to stop their combos.
    – Enemy awareness builds more slowly, giving you more time to recover after being spotted

Text changes

– Large Text option: Increases text size of subtitles, mission objectives and interact prompts by 150% when enabled
    – New subtitle text color options in addition to white: Yellow, Blue, Red, Green

Lethal mode sounds great, though my TV has terrible input lag, so probably unfeasable for me.

Svejk

« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2020, 11:55:57 PM »

The full notes:

Lower Intensity Combat

Text changes

Lethal mode sounds great, though my TV has terrible input lag, so probably unfeasable for me.
Or better played when the 60fps PS5 version drops.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2020, 12:10:12 AM »
I dunno man, i'm still waiting on that Bloodborne Pro Patch, everybody thought it was a given, but no dice.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2020, 03:05:25 PM »
I dunno man, i'm still waiting on that Bloodborne Pro Patch, everybody thought it was a given, but no dice.

Expect FromSoft to fix performance issues brehs.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2020, 12:25:09 PM »
This is pretty cool.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ghost-of-tsushima-receives-high-praise-from-yakuza/1100-6480350/

Toshihiro Nagoshi: "Foreigners who tickle the fancy of Japanese people more than Japanese people are…rather amazing, no? There's like a notion that Westerners don't understand things (about Japan), but that hypothesis itself is mistaken."