Author Topic: Ghost of Tsushima (Iki Island Expansion out Aug. 20th)  (Read 11224 times)

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
Ghost of Tsushima (Iki Island Expansion out Aug. 20th)
« on: July 10, 2020, 05:06:13 PM »
As the undead swordman Gin Saké, cook up some revenge against the evil Mongolian grill using either Kage Bunshin no Jutsu or Sekiro sword. Exclusively on the Playstation 4 Professional and Amateur July 17 (that's a Friday). In what is assuredly going to be the best Sony exclusive of the year, this thread is for exclusive discussion of the game exclusively on thebore.com

black and white, Japanese VO, no hud.  :japancry
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 01:08:22 PM by Let's Cyber »

Svejk

Re: Phantom of (T)sashimi
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 12:23:36 AM »
The Japanese launch trailer is pretty dope...

Shits preloaded and ready to unlock. 

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 12:47:18 AM »
gimmie

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Let's Cyber

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 02:46:26 PM »
There is a short remix album consisting of a few of the OST songs re-imagined, I really like the Tycho track.

Let's Cyber

Re: Ghost of Tsushima
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 09:39:49 PM »
 :doge :doge :doge
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 02:08:29 PM by Let's Cyber »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 01:17:17 AM »
:nope Ghost of Tsushima

:ohyeah Phantom of Sashimi
ὕβρις

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 10:48:56 AM »
Reviews are out the eurogamer one makes it sound like a wait for a price drop game :thinking
(ice)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 11:12:51 AM »
It sounds like another SuckerPunch game. Serviceable open world game to waste some time in.  Which is fine with me. Pre-ordered it after I saw it wasn't broken.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 11:15:23 AM »
Reviews are out the eurogamer one makes it sound like a wait for a price drop game :thinking

Probably be $20 in 3-4 months, like every Sony release.
©@©™

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 11:19:01 AM »
R2 to pay respecc

thetylerrob

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 11:21:15 AM »
The Japanese dub not being lip-synced is terrible.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 11:22:40 AM »

thetylerrob

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 11:29:12 AM »
 :jeanluc Button prompts in a video game? In 2020?

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 11:33:06 AM »
*Holds forward and presses square in Last of Us Part Deux*

Truly shameful that Ghost of Tsushima still has that antiquated shit in there.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2020, 12:01:12 PM »
Seeing some pretty favorable reviews out there, mixed with some not really shitting on it, but giving it the "oh great, not another open-world game" treatment. 

ACG really liked it overall.

I'm gonna keep my pre-order and check it out.
ど助平

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2020, 12:03:25 PM »
$20 Black Friday here we come  :rejoice
Margs

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2020, 12:13:45 PM »
I’ll get it when it’s £25 on a psn sale or w/e :yeshrug
(ice)

Svejk

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2020, 12:38:04 PM »
I look forward to playing it.  Looks to be a fun romp through before Cyberpunkz.  About to finish watching 13 Assassins too, so it's only adding to the hype.

Svejk

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2020, 12:39:57 PM »
R2 to pay respecc

(Image removed from quote.)
Well, if you're gonna press R2... Better put some respecc on it.

Bebpo

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2020, 12:57:39 PM »
Reviews make it sound like an alright pick up when I'm in the mood for another open world game, which is not right now, so will grab it on sale down the line.

It's too bad because the reviews all seem to praise the main story campaign and if it wasn't an open world game and just that campaign it seems like it would have reviewed really well. But like most ubigames the bulk of it sounds like going around doing the same activities a dozen or more times, which too be fair was also the Infamous games, so not that unexpected. I enjoy my checklist games a few times a year so I think I'll like it when I do play it at some point.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2020, 01:29:38 PM »
R2 to pay respecc

(Image removed from quote.)
Well, if you're gonna press R2... Better put some respecc on it.

:birdman
ど助平

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2020, 02:01:05 PM »
All Sucker Punch games have been very mediocre, this seems like a significant step up for them.
From the various videos i've seen, the camera seems pretty awful though, which make sense when you think that they spent the last 15(?) years developing shooters where the player is asked to worry about the camera themselves.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2020, 02:07:58 PM »
The Japanese launch trailer is pretty dope...

Shits preloaded and ready to unlock.
my bad, dude. Totally missed that you had already posted this in the first reply.  :-\ :doge

The trailer is sweet.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 02:13:19 PM by Let's Cyber »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2020, 02:12:26 PM »
Eurogamer:

It's desperately frustrating, because I maintain that Ghost of Tsushima is still, largely, quite fun. The problem is it's an easy, breezy, lite beer kind of fun - the kind that Sucker Punch is known for, after all - and the blanket genericism of it just doesn't sit well against such a po-faced tone. It's another game fallen victim to the palatability blender, coming out the other side as a slightly formless smudge of every genre, without a mastery of any. Going back to Ghost of Tsushima's roots, as an American game inspired by the comics and the movies of Japan, in a way it's quite apt. It's what happens when you want to pay homage, but don't want to add anything new of your own. It's Hollywood.

Also Eurogamer:

Horizon Zero Dawn is a work of considerable finesse and technical bravado, but it falls into the trap of past Guerrilla games in being all too forgettable. For all its skin-deep dynamism it lacks spark; somewhat like the robotic dinosaurs that stalk its arrestingly beautiful open world, this is a mimic that's all dazzle, steel and neon yet can feel like it's operating without a heart of its own.

I had no idea they didn't just suck Sony D on all new releases.
:leon

RESPECK
:birdman
ど助平

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2020, 02:25:02 PM »
cancelled pre-order, sounds like another PSN first party title, I'm not ready for another one like this after the fuckery that was TLOU2

Svejk

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2020, 06:17:09 PM »
This is a Druckmann free game.  Should be just fine.  :lucille

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2020, 06:50:53 PM »
This is a Druckmann free game.  Should be just fine.  :lucille

::)

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2020, 06:51:44 PM »

It's desperately frustrating, because I maintain that Ghost of Tsushima is still, largely, quite fun. The problem is it's an easy, breezy, lite beer kind of fun - the kind that Sucker Punch is known for, after all - and the blanket genericism of it just doesn't sit well against such a po-faced tone. It's another game fallen victim to the palatability blender, coming out the other side as a slightly formless smudge of every genre, without a mastery of any. Going back to Ghost of Tsushima's roots, as an American game inspired by the comics and the movies of Japan, in a way it's quite apt. It's what happens when you want to pay homage, but don't want to add anything new of your own. It's Hollywood.

::)

Such a fuckin ignorant weeb comment lmao.

From the little I've seen of this, I do like how much it uses movement like taking a key aspect of Kurosawa's films and gamifying it.
◕‿◕

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2020, 09:29:24 PM »
Damn that Japanese trailer is hot hot hot.

Waiting for reviews though, Sucker Punch's missions have never been uhhh....great

paprikastaude

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2020, 09:51:02 PM »
reviews are out though

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2020, 10:00:07 PM »
yeah, gameplay sounds like good, hollywood gaming fare. i haven't played a sucker punch game for a looooong time, but i really liked the first infamous.
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2020, 11:41:44 PM »
I've liked all their games. Even the janky ass Infamous 1.

Svejk

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2020, 09:05:47 AM »
Never cared for any other SP game.  This is the first for me.  :doge

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2020, 11:01:47 AM »
What about Sly Cooper? Those were good.

Svejk

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2020, 11:07:05 AM »
What about Sly Cooper? Those were good.
It looked graphically impressive at the time, but the cartoony theme didn't jive with me back then.  Would be willing to try them if they magically dropped as a game store freebie..

On a side note..
All of that effort clearly appealed to Japanese gaming bible Famitsu, as it’s been awarded a perfect score by the magazine. This makes it the third Western game ever to receive a 40/40 from the publication, following The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Grand Theft Auto V.
:obama

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2020, 11:57:23 AM »
I liked Sly Cooper but I didn't like Infamous, does that make me fur-curious?
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2020, 12:53:38 PM »
probably

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2020, 09:13:19 AM »
The game looks cool but too bad the animations arent as fluid as in the trailers
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2020, 12:59:23 PM »
Sly Cooper was a good game.  Never finished them, but had fun with the original and the fourth game (not made by SP though) too.   Still remember Adam Sessler showing the first Sly game off on Tech TV and being so engrossed in it that he stopped talking to the other host, lol.

Never got into Infamous, but I thought it was pretty popular and most people liked it?

ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2020, 02:04:46 PM »
Game just updated to ver. 1.04.  Guess that's the Day 1 patch?

Bebpo

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2020, 02:58:20 PM »
Never got into Infamous, but I thought it was pretty popular and most people liked it?

I mean it was a fun B game where you run around doing repetitive stuff while using superpowers and tearing up the town. The combat depth and gameplay was always pretty shallow and closer to stuff like AC1/2. It started off pretty janky with some bad platforming and real ugly and got more polished as the games went along with Second Son/First Light being really polished repetitive shallow experiences. Even then they were still good "B" or 8/10 kind of games.

I enjoyed them all, but wouldn't say any of them were great. Second Son/First Light sure looked nice though and were great for taking photomode pictures. My biggest complaint with those games is their Seattle map sucks and is nothing like real Seattle. At least Last of Us II finally gave a good Seattle map in games.

Infamous #2's expansion was probably the tightest and best of them where you're a vampire fighting vampires. It was still super repetitive, but it was short and their New Orleans map was really good and no one else did New Orleans in a sandbox until RDR2 so it was a fresh location.

tl;dr - if Tsushima is an 8/10 B game that's good fun & looks nice but repetitive and shallow, then yeah that's basically par for course for Sucker Punch.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2020, 03:37:30 PM »
I don't really remember the reasons I think this, but Infamous 2 is really the only one I liked. 1 was such an ugly game that it was unappealing to me. SS, I don't even remember my problems beyond it just being bare bones with a underdeveloped story which I guess makes sense as it was an early gen game.

I've never been too excited about this game, but eh I'm up for AAA Sony. Hearing that it's better to just follow the main story is ok with me.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2020, 05:51:08 PM »
I know why I loved Infamous 2. It was throwing those cars. The whole game could've been just that and I still would've loved it.
Been hearing a lot of good things about Ghosts though. On the verge of buying it tomorrow.
que

Svejk

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2020, 09:42:28 PM »
Reading that the load times in this game are snappy AF.  Literally a few seconds to go from one side of the world to the other.  Even on base PS4.
 :obama

So fast, that SP slowed down loading screen time so you can read the tips? ?
 :holeup
https://kotaku.com/ghost-of-tsushima-devs-slowed-down-load-times-so-you-co-1844409624

Let's Cyber

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2020, 11:18:18 PM »
1up_ryan_gears2.jpg

The one thing I don't like with Ghost of Tsushima's load times is that they're almost too good.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2020, 02:10:19 AM »
I really enjoyed infamous. The morality portion of the story was completely useless, as the choices were absolutely binary, with no difficult decisions to be made if you wanted to stay good or planned on being evil. Everything was straightforward. But the electricity based real guiding and floating in the air was plenty of fun. Very enjoyable.

However, I’m always suspicious of western development on Japanese themed titles, because so much of it rings as inaccurate or wildly misinformed.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2020, 05:46:50 AM »
From what I've read from the developers they actually did their homework. The creative liberties they've taken were to improve the gameplay. Otherwise you'd have the main character basically be a farmer with a bow and arrow.

They even incorporated the actual mongol army being defeated by a hurricane (kamikaze) in the game as a reference on Jin's sword.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2020, 06:30:56 AM »
I really enjoyed infamous. The morality portion of the story was completely useless, as the choices were absolutely binary, with no difficult decisions to be made if you wanted to stay good or planned on being evil. Everything was straightforward. But the electricity based real guiding and floating in the air was plenty of fun. Very enjoyable.

However, I’m always suspicious of western development on Japanese themed titles, because so much of it rings as inaccurate or wildly misinformed.

:expert
Margs

Let's Cyber

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2020, 08:45:44 AM »
Put about 3 hours in. For a console game, the draw distance on foliage is really impressive. RDR2 is probably the only open world game that has done it better.

Combat feels good and is better than I expected, but I was preparing myself for the worst.  :doge It's much, much better than recent floaty Dark Souls ripoff stuff from AC Origins and Odyssey. This is not nioh by any stretch (no lock on takes some getting used to imo) and the parry window is a bit too generous (EDIT: There is a perfect parry unlock skill that takes much better timing) but it feels satisfying. Playing on hard and you can die in 2 or 3 hits and kill enemies in about the same amount. I like the standoff mechanic but I haven't failed it yet after 20+ encounters so that feels a bit too easy. (EDIT: there are some more wrinkles to standoffs later on.)

So far I like it.  :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 10:58:34 AM by Let's Cyber »

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2020, 10:06:17 AM »

Oh man, remember that "Will you save your girlfriend, who has been nothing but terrible to you this whole game? Or a bunch of doctors? MWAHAHAHAHA!!"

I was already moving towards the doctors before the villain stopped talking. I know the game devs were like "Oh this will make the player stop and think!" But really it was the easiest possible choice to make.
que

Svejk

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2020, 11:33:53 AM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2020, 11:48:38 AM »
Infamous #2's expansion was probably the tightest and best of them where you're a vampire fighting vampires. It was still super repetitive, but it was short and their New Orleans map was really good and no one else did New Orleans in a sandbox until RDR2 so it was a fresh location.

Ass Creed III Liberation gets no props  :'(
ど助平

Let's Cyber

« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2020, 02:56:28 PM »
Swam out to a little island on a lake, wrote a haiku based on my surroundings, and then played my flute for a bit while the sun slowly set over the water.

This game might not be for everybody but it is definitely for me.

:uguu

Svejk

« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2020, 04:37:10 AM »
This game is goddamn beautiful.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2020, 08:49:33 AM »
i caved and bought dis shid :stahp
(ice)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2020, 06:25:37 AM »

:expert

:iface

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2020, 07:03:47 AM »
So... Tbh im so filled up with open-world games at this moment. Is it worth getting if you don't like all the checklist crap?

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2020, 07:46:56 AM »
Done the first hour or so, seems alright so far and looks amazing

But the camera in battle :kobeyuck

Just give me a lock on :stahp
(ice)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2020, 08:28:39 AM »
The checklist crap all unlocks cool stuff, either cosmetic or gameplay related. If you don't feel like doing those you can just focus on the story content.