Author Topic: Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes (Suikoden lives!)  (Read 5365 times)

G The Resurrected

Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes (Suikoden lives!)
« on: July 24, 2020, 12:26:12 PM »
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/07/suikoden-creators-announce-rpg-eiyuden-chronicle-hundred-heroes-for-ps5-xbox-series-x-switch-and-pc

DAY FUCKING ONE!

I told myself no more kickstarters, but for this I'm making an exception

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes (Suikoden lives!)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 12:32:58 PM »
System Design and Direction: Osamu Komuta (Suikoden Tierkreis, Suikoden Tactics, Arca Last)

Hmm....
fat

Himu

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 12:33:48 PM »
Fuck yes.

Came here to post this.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 12:34:49 PM »
Really like the graphical style, like an amped up Octopath.
dog

Himu

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 12:34:57 PM »
I am creaming. I'm screaming at my monitor in JOY. The trailer. THE TRAILER! Suikoden!

:brazilcry :klob
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 12:35:45 PM »
I'll buy it when it releases. I don't back kickstarters, sorry
fat

Svejk

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 12:37:29 PM »
System Design and Direction: Osamu Komuta (Suikoden Tierkreis, Suikoden Tactics, Arca Last)

Hmm....
:kobeyuck

Himu

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 12:37:58 PM »
THE BATTLE SYSTEM LOOKS LIKE MODERN SUIKODEN ON CRACK

adfasi;djfas;ldf;dlsjf;aldjf;l
IYKYK

G The Resurrected

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 12:44:25 PM »
The recent push by Japanese developers/publishers to Kickstarter seems so off. I'm not a fan of the model, and while I'm knowledgable of the business reasons behind going this route. I'm not any more enthused by it one bit.

That being said, this looks really well polished and something that seems like a safe bet. I hope they show more of the gameplay in a few days when the Kickstarter launches.

I like Tactics don't @ me

Himu

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 12:45:33 PM »
suikoden tactics is good.

suikoden tierkries only sucks because they took an established world and history and dumped it. When I think of Tierkries, system and design is definitely what I think of what I consider what I don't like about it.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 12:50:23 PM »
Being a kickstarter, if you're a so and so top tier supporter, have your image taken and become one of the top 10 selected Heroes!!!1!1!1   :doge

suikoden tierkries only sucks because they took an established world and history and dumped it. When I think of Tierkries, system and design is definitely what I think of what I consider what I don't like about it.
I never tried tactics, but yeah, Tierkries seemed to have potential, but too many things held it back.

paprikastaude

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 12:59:19 PM »
Oh, Kickstarter. :larry

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 01:01:59 PM »
I am liking this trend of ex-Konami devs making new games that are just like the titles Konami doesn't want to make anymore.  Please keep doing this!
:itagaki
ど助平

Yulwei

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 01:23:46 PM »
Kickstarter and the nicca who designed tierkreis?

The last time I backed a KS project was in 2013, but I’ll make an exception for this cause it’s probably either this or we never get suikoden ever again. I just hope they don’t overextend themselves and take on more than they can chew. We don’t need another Mighty Number 9
spoiler (click to show/hide)
or Shenmue 3
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 02:20:35 PM »
I mean Murayama hasn't done anything good in a long time, but taking Octopath style and doing a more traditional jrpg seems like a no brainer. Hope this turns out good in a few years when it hopefully comes out.

Bebpo

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2020, 02:22:18 PM »
Although I really don't like that the main two characters are literally clone art of the main two from Suikoden II. Come on, be a little more original.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2020, 02:26:16 PM »
I mean Murayama hasn't done anything good in a long time

I mean, the last game he was heavily involved with was a third-person shooter that came out in 2005, it's not like he's been cranking out garbage since leaving Konami.
dog

Svejk

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2020, 02:38:28 PM »
I am liking this trend of ex-Konami devs making new games that are just like the titles Konami doesn't want to make anymore.  Please keep doing this!
:itagaki
That pretty much began and ended with Iga, as far as I'm concerned.   :maduro

Don't get me wrong, this looks great, but KS can suck it if they're gonna keep up the supporter pic bowlshit.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2020, 03:53:56 PM »
here is hoping, but all these spiritual successors tend to end up kind of bland, even if they play/look ok. kickstarted doesn't really instill confidence either, but this seems more in line with the W101 KS from earlier this year.

should have just made a new Suiko or even remade part 1.  :larry

Tuckers Law

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2020, 04:12:25 PM »
here is hoping, but all these spiritual successors tend to end up kind of bland, even if they play/look ok. kickstarted doesn't really instill confidence either, but this seems more in line with the W101 KS from earlier this year.

should have just made a new Suiko or even remade part 1.  :larry

With Konami in control, would you really want an actual new suikoden?  I mean yeah they put out some pretty good collections recently, but they also put out Contra Rogue Corps.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2020, 04:33:36 PM »
versus this? sure, why not. your point is valid tho.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2020, 05:08:36 PM »
yeah release suiko like grandia then LRG will make a physical release of it
fat

Himu

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2020, 05:15:32 PM »
I mean Murayama hasn't done anything good in a long time, but taking Octopath style and doing a more traditional jrpg seems like a no brainer. Hope this turns out good in a few years when it hopefully comes out.

Why are so many of your posts just flat out wrong, Bebs? Alliance Alive was written by Murayama and has had near universal praise for its storytelling.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2020, 05:18:32 PM »
I mean Murayama hasn't done anything good in a long time

I mean, the last game he was heavily involved with was a third-person shooter that came out in 2005, it's not like he's been cranking out garbage since leaving Konami.

Didn't he also help out with Alliance Alive? Although that game definitely felt rushed by the last 3rd, there were some neat elements highly reminiscent of Suikoden (like being able to recruit characters for your ship). Was a fun game that needed more budget.

Yeah, I thought Tactics was pretty underrated. The story was kinda dumb (a cannon that turns people into fishmen? wtf?) and the graphics were horrible N64-level... but some of the battles were quite challenging with constant enemy reinforcements you had to deal with and varied objectives for each level. Definitely the most difficult game in the franchise. 
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2020, 05:30:28 PM »
Daaamn imagine being an RPG nerd and not wanting to play a game with a story by the guy behind suikoden

Could be me because I havent played it either
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2020, 06:00:52 PM »
Fell out of Suikoden 2 once you get your castle/hombase, because it just didn't grab me. Could be because I played it on PSP and I kind of hate that thing.

Bebpo

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2020, 08:05:36 PM »

Why are so many of your posts just flat out wrong, Bebs? Alliance Alive was written by Murayama and has had near universal praise for its storytelling.

I've never heard this before.

So the game is good?

Bebpo

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2020, 08:15:18 PM »
Also I'll admit I'm wrong on that take. I thought he'd done some cellphone shovelware in between like a lot of these ex-PS2 era Japan creators who vanished. Looks like he really hasn't done anything since Tsukyiyo no Sayonara until Alliance Alive scenario.

Maybe he's still got it, we'll see I guess.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2020, 01:30:19 PM »
Kickstarter page is up.  Confirms that a regular retail physical release is coming and is not KS-exclusive.  They claim backers will get it before retail.

The game is also not coming out for the Switch but instead will be released for whatever platform follows it, which to me translates to "don't back this for the Nintendo platform if you want to play it anytime soon."  :P

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1287782580314443783
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2020, 02:15:56 PM »
Fell out of Suikoden 2 once you get your castle/hombase, because it just didn't grab me. Could be because I played it on PSP and I kind of hate that thing.
Yeah, this is exactly 100% my experience. Might return to them soon.

Suikoden II is like one of the top5 jrpgs of all time, so yeah, you really should.

*edit* Also use a spoiler-free/minimal guide and get all 108 people to get the most out of it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 04:00:32 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2020, 02:23:17 PM »
Ended up backing this to help out because idk how well this Kickstarter is actually gonna do. Not sure how big the Suikoden fanbase is these days.
Most Kickstarter stuff turns out pretty bad and a waste of money, so hopefully this ends up as one of the exceptions.

archnemesis

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2020, 02:51:28 PM »
It looks great and I'm glad they've reached their goal already. Maybe I'll go back and give Tierkreis or Tactics another chance while I wait for this to come out.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2020, 03:04:08 PM »
Funded in 3 hours

fat

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2020, 03:27:29 PM »
kickstarter down  :lol

Himu

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2020, 03:46:43 PM »
Holy shit it even has Suikoden formation system

*cries into shirt*
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2020, 03:53:08 PM »

:whew
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2020, 04:11:31 PM »

So the game is good?

I liked it a lot, though it feels kinda rushed toward the last 3rd of the game, and some of the optional dungeons are pretty repetitive. Imagine a hybrid between a less-obtuse SaGa and a lighthearted Suikoden with a Bravely Default artstyle.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2020, 07:56:10 PM »

So the game is good?

I liked it a lot, though it feels kinda rushed toward the last 3rd of the game, and some of the optional dungeons are pretty repetitive. Imagine a hybrid between a less-obtuse SaGa and a lighthearted Suikoden with a Bravely Default artstyle.

Is the story good and is there a lot of it? I mean Saga ain't known for its stories while Suikoden is.

Bebpo

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2020, 08:33:08 PM »
$1.1 mil in 6 hours
:whoo

Yeah, it's doing well!

I was worried it'd get like 1 million total and barely have the budget to make the game. If this does multi-million here I'm sure it'll help.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2020, 09:53:58 PM »
there is no way a port of Wonderful 101 funds better than a Suikoden spiritual successor.

then again the world is unjust.

Bebpo

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2020, 10:05:37 PM »
I always thought Suikoden was pretty niche compared to Tales, FF, DQ, Mother, etc... as jrpg series around that time. If you asked me how many copies a modern Suikoden game would sell today I'd guess like 150k worldwide?

Then again I guess if they made 5 of them + a tactics game + some weird ds thing it must've been selling alright to keep it funded. Though by IV it felt like most of the funding had dropped out.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2020, 10:42:48 PM »
Suikoden 3 was probably the best selling, from what I can find, with at least 550k sold worldwide. 4 was less than that and 5 dropped further, though.
dog

Himu

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2020, 10:50:02 PM »
Suikoden games are niche.

But usually tapped out at the standard 200k units in America.

Suikoden III is the best selling entry despite not being released in Europe.

It's also wise to note that Konami never really marketed or gave Suikoden games budget. They were always given poor funding and subsisted on fan loyalty/word of mouth. Konami was always sucking Kojima's dick. Fuck him.

Modern Suikoden would sell much, much better in today's jrpg landscape. Traditionally, jrpgs sell at most 200k in America. But that was before steam and multi console releases. Today niche jrpgs like Ys and Trails have an audience abroad and jrpgs have never been more popular or had mass platforms to succeed. The days of relying on the same fanbase and capping at 200k units abroad are over.

But this is also dependent on Konami, who doesn't give a shit. But under the right circumstances the series could do well
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 11:01:24 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2020, 11:33:16 PM »
Let me stop you right there and assure you that unless it is a pachinko machine they can put negative effort into that will also make fans sad, Konami has no interest in games
yar

Himu

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2020, 11:45:13 PM »
Let me stop you right there and assure you that unless it is a pachinko machine they can put negative effort into that will also make fans sad, Konami has no interest in games

I never once humored an actual new Suikoden game in that post. Just talking purely hypothetical.

It's my goal for Eiyuden to be successful so it can be picked up by a publisher and hopefully that publisher can pony up to buy the Suikoden IP from Konami.

I personally think Falcom would be ideal for the Suikoden series with Square Enix next in the running. Atlus/Sega would uguu it up and Persona-ize it. Then again, given what Falcolm did they Xanadu so would they.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2020, 11:52:46 PM »
Best part of Suikoden 1,  was how short it was.
20 hour JRPG...   :ohyeah

Himu

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2020, 11:57:48 PM »
II isn't that long either.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2020, 01:10:40 AM »

So the game is good?

Is the story good and is there a lot of it? I mean Saga ain't known for its stories while Suikoden is.

It's nothing really that special... it's basically a hierarchy going on of demons -> beastmen -> humans that seems to just end abruptly. The game is fairly short and most of the scenarios don't really have too much time to develop themselves, though there are still a few neat moments like
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Playing New Game Plus, beating an unwinnable boss at the beginning of the game, and getting an alternate ending
[close]
^_^

Tuckers Law

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2020, 04:43:47 AM »
Shorter RPG’s are the truth.  South Park Stick of Truth was a more recent good example where I remember finishing it and positively thinking, “that was just about the perfect length of game.”

Svejk

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2020, 08:21:32 AM »
Shorter RPG’s are the truth.  South Park Stick of Truth was a more recent good example where I remember finishing it and positively thinking, “that was just about the perfect length of game.”
I really need to go back and finish that game... my laptop is in the shop right now though.  :-\

paprikastaude

« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2020, 08:56:39 AM »

Nier 1, even with the second ending playthrough. Parasite Eve. Bloodborne. Chrono Trigger.

So few of them. But I rather replay those than do one 80 hour run of a single game.  :-\

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2020, 09:11:19 AM »
I don't mind long RPGs every now and then but way too many companies stretch the hell out of everything and some great games would've been even better with a bit more brevity. Tales third acts for instance.
^_^

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2020, 09:38:35 AM »
did anyone here actually make it all the way through suikoden 4?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2020, 10:01:56 AM »

I did. It's really short as well, I think like 20 hours if you didn't 100% it.
©@©™

archnemesis

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2020, 10:04:58 AM »
I finished S4 too. Emulation with frame skipping makes it more enjoyable. I don't remember much of it besides being annoyed by the slow combat with fewer characters and hating the final boss. I should replay the entire series, really.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2020, 10:21:10 AM »
I remember being so disappointed by it and it was more the technical side? like the boat was pain.

I actually liked 3. I shamefully have never played much of 5 or Tactics even though I have copies of both.

archnemesis

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2020, 10:24:42 AM »
S5 is great. You should definitely play it.

I dropped Tactics after 10-20 hours because it was repetitive. I need to get it running on a handheld device if I ever want to revisit it.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2020, 10:28:02 AM »
I stopped with the series after III, don't really feel like I've missed much

:yeshrug

But this unofficial reboot looks good, so I'll pick it up when it comes out assuming I'm not dead of plague or a sex slave in some Mad Max post-American hellscape
yar

Himu

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2020, 12:01:57 PM »

Twice and I got all characters. Was horrific.

III is great despite whatever issues it has.

V is great but rips off too much from II.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2020, 01:03:55 PM »
I finished 4, it was fine at the time other than extremely low budget and uninspired coming from III. Could have been worse.