Author Topic: FFXVI  (Read 7444 times)

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
Re: FFXVI
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2020, 06:34:41 AM »
Watching the trailer I thought this was gonna be a spinoff, and not a cool spinoff like Type 0. Looks lame-o compared to FF15 which I ADORED the first 75% of, let's not talk about the rest mmk

Himu

« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2020, 07:32:55 AM »
I'm still shocked this is even Final Fantasy. I looked at a clip on twitter, an entire thread, and my mind keeps telling me it's a Soulslike or something and not a new Final Fantasy. Again, I'll give it a chance. The story looks more interesting than the gameplay to me, but I'm not positive. YoshiP is literally the only reason I'm hopeful. Yesterday I was applying to grad school literally all day and I didn't see the FFXVI trailer until like 2-3 hours after it debuted. Watching it reminded me how far gaming as a whole has gone from my wants. Yet I still love games. It's odd. It's like the Reagan quote except I didn't leave video games, video games left me. The fact my favorite genre has been reduced to nothing but action games or sold out versions of that genre gives me little reason to continue. Final Fantasy should never look so generic.

I was mulling over grad school and video game playing and for the next 3 years games will definitely be on the back burner. After watching the trailer I just asked myself,"are games really something I want to dedicate time to for the next few years?" as I reviewed my grad school application. It took ten years to release Persona 5, almost a decade to its initial announcement for Versus/XV to come out, there hasn't been a new GTA since 2013. I think it's time to hang it up and quit games as a hobby again outside of retro, Nintendo, and Souls games.

It's good that FFXVI reminded me it's time to stop fighting. Games aren't for me anymore.

For the first time ever a new FF reveal registered not a single emotion with me. I was  staring at my phone like a zombie.

Idk been like this since 13.

FFXIII's announcement definitely registered an emotion in me. Here I feel nothing beside, "nice chocobos."
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 07:41:59 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2020, 08:01:48 AM »
I never played Dragon's Dogma, always thought it looked kinda... generic.

:titus
Art direction is intentionally generic western fantasy in DD, all the creatures are basically verbatim recreations of their classic imagery, so not an absurd hot take-- ofc. DD is an amazing game beyond that.
FFXVI did remind me of the DD's environments, in how empty they were, the only problem is, the two games are 2 generations apart.  :lol
Thank goodness they went with this direction..  It was a smart move, imo.  Fucking shit, I love DD! 

As for FFXVI, if the story is outstanding, I'd be willing to try it... Other than that, visually, it looked mediocre. 

Himu

« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2020, 08:02:56 AM »
Forgot to mention games cost 70 DOLLARS now.

Another reason to hang it up.
IYKYK

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2020, 08:11:52 AM »
worst thing is that the faces all look like they were designed in a shitty character creator :yuck :lol
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2020, 08:12:23 AM »
worst thing is that the faces all look like they were designed in a shitty character creator :yuck :lol

I can't get over the character designs. They're so bad.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2020, 08:15:35 AM »
Absolutely hideous...  that being said, I guess that about narrows it down for me.  Gonna pass on this one.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2020, 08:15:53 AM »
I still have a feeling its cross gen and they'll do a 'lol its on ps4 too :trumps' the next time they show it, ala spidermane :-*

It would explain how underwhelming it looks graphically.
(ice)

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2020, 09:39:45 AM »
when I heard it was the XIV devs I pictured something akin to FFXII with art similar to XIV. I was right on the art, but seems like they stuck with the XV action system. eh. would rather turn based or ATB option but at least they went out and poached the DD guy. 

I am not sure what to think of the phoenix aspect, and hope they don't make it too much of a souls-lite or something.

I am still super optimistic on this, guess we will see. if anything should be the best/most complete FF story in years.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2020, 10:22:53 AM »
I watched the trailer again and it doesn't look as bad as my first watch of it when I was expecting something more akin to Agni with amazing visuals and art.

Honestly outside the combat gameplay scenes, the cutscene stuff all looks fine. Summons are a bit bland looking, as are the character designs, but it looks solid.

The gameplay stuff just looks real empty in the reveal of just 1 on 1 battles in empty box arenas. It reminds me of when they announce Tales of games and they just show the lead beating up an enemy or two. Looks lame and empty and then then later there's full party combat and Tales battles look good. Hopefully that'll be the case here.

Also apparently they're aiming for 2021 for this?? It looks...early. Guessing it'll bump to at least 2022.

And the combat looks a lot like DMC on second look. You can see the FF summons are being used as DMC style weapons with Titan's fists and Phoenix wings and stuff. Dunno how that'll play out but it's a thing.

First thing I thought of was DMC as well, even before I found out about the battle director. Looked like somewhere between DMC and FFXV (with the sword warping stuff)
^_^

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2020, 10:26:28 AM »
(ice)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2020, 10:54:33 AM »
Of course, not sure why Square would release all their Final Fantasy games everywhere then suddenly be like "haha sike its only on ps5"

Even Sega is putting Yakuza 7 everywhere
fat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2020, 11:14:21 AM »
AAAA weebshit :rejoice
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2020, 02:50:53 PM »
Ive watched the trailer multiple times and I seriously don't get an FF vibe at all. I say this as someone that likes high fantasy FF's. The character design for example is extremely unappealing to me. The main character is a dark haired guy with a mark on his face? Where's his distinguishing features? Ramza has the purple clothing and the spiked dark knight armor. Terra's got her green hair. Cloud has his sword and spikey blonde hair. Squall had his leather jacket and gunblade. Zidane's tail. Vivi's hat. Tidus' unique ensemble. Basch's badassery and Fran's exotic coolness. Faris in V, Kain in IV, the iconic fighter and black mage in I. Barret's gunarm. Edea's makeup and horns. Iconic. All of them. Even Lightning and Noctis stick out.

I looked at this trailer and nothing sticks out. It doesn't look appealing at all. It didn't make a good first impression. And this is just the topic of character design. This is without mentioning the fact the main character warps around the battlefield like Noctis. In every way, even in combat, the game screams unoriginal and bland.

Easily the worst FF reveal of all time.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2020, 03:12:49 PM »
You watch Agni and that looks like proper FF.

The hype for this feels utterly farcical. As if people are clinging to hype.

IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2020, 03:21:30 PM »
I mean the exclusivity helps a bit yeah
fat

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2020, 03:23:20 PM »
It looks too low budget going from that trailer to be a numbered final fantasy, for a series that has been about blowing your balls off with hot graphix since 7 really, dropping a trailer that looks worse or on par with your current gen offerings is :comeon :comeon :comeon
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2020, 03:27:13 PM »
It looks worse than VIIR.

I'm hardly an SE graphic stan and think it'd be a good thing for them deemphasize graphics as much but Jesus Christ. It's a ps5 game that looks like, shading and all, FFXIV.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2020, 03:34:47 PM »
At least part of the problem with the trailer is that there are no massive, cool-looking cities with tons of stuff going on. Just all closeups of characters [who don't look that great to begin with], a few short clips of some kind of war going on, and then some in-game combat. Just makes the whole thing feel really small-scale and cheap.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2020, 03:38:58 PM »
It may be Square Enix trying a gamble of making a game that doesn't focus on gfx fidelity first. We'll see if that pays off.

Also I re-watched the trailer in JP with the different dialogue (don't ask me why the dialogue is different in both languages) and maybe late to this but the vibe I get from the story is you play as a dude, who is Ifrit who may or may not be aware of that, who is supposed to guard the kid who is Phoenix and then something happens and the kid goes full Phoenix haywire and murders everyone in the town/city -> timeskip -> now you play as the main Ifrit dude on a revenge journey quest to kill the grown up version of the phoenix kid (because can't murder kids in FF) which explains the Ifrit v Phoenix logo.

Looks like all the trailer footage is from pre-timeskip which might just be the intro.

So basically it looks like they're doing a Berserk FF. Kinda more interested now.

Himu

« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2020, 03:42:52 PM »
At least part of the problem with the trailer is that there are no massive, cool-looking cities with tons of stuff going on. Just all closeups of characters [who don't look that great to begin with], a few short clips of some kind of war going on, and then some in-game combat. Just makes the whole thing feel really small-scale and cheap.

A big problem with is that it has no sense of wonder.

FF games are great at making you want to just sink your teeth in the game world. Check out this FFX trailer. An FF world should feel vast. Yet this game feels so small. It's a puzzling decision and could just be because that's what they're trying to sell. We don't know what the rest of the game is like but it's a very, very bad first impression.

IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2020, 03:55:23 PM »
Yeah, plus nothing much of the environments, which is what mostly sells me on FF and keeps me interested even if the gameplay is mediocre. Everything looks too grounded and non-fantastical, and the low contrast makes it look even blander.
^_^

Himu

« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2020, 03:59:29 PM »

There's a running theme in these trailers: adventure. You see, there's a thing in RPGs called exploration that makes you say,"I want to go there!" This is something FFXVI's trailer simply does not have.

I really hope the next trailer is on the ball and this was just a bad showing.

I'll chalk it up to a bad trailer and hope for the best. All I can do.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2020, 04:03:54 PM »
Yeah, plus nothing much of the environments, which is what mostly sells me on FF and keeps me interested even if the gameplay is mediocre. Everything looks too grounded and non-fantastical, and the low contrast makes it look even blander.

What's funny is all the people going "RETURNING TO HIGH FANTASY!!!! PUTTING THE FANTASY IN FINAL FANTASY!!!!" is that nothing in that trailer even seems truly fantastical spectacle besides a kid growing into a summon. If we are talking the environment exclusively  it looks the opposite of high fantasy. The FFX trailer I posted looks more fantastical. Again, just talking first impressions because there's much we don't know.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2020, 04:09:11 PM »

What's funny is all the people going "RETURNING TO HIGH FANTASY!!!! PUTTING THE FANTASY IN FINAL FANTASY!!!!" is that nothing in that trailer even seems truly fantastical spectacle besides a kid growing into a summon. If we are talking the environment exclusively  it looks the opposite of high fantasy. The FFX trailer I posted looks more fantastical. Again, just talking first impressions because there's much we don't know.

Well it's basically by the Heavensward team. HW started out grounded Ishgard but then you get to continents in the clouds, moogles and dragons land, big green fields and then sci-fi land (last one probably not gonna happen here). I think there will be plenty of fantasy environments.

Himu

« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2020, 04:17:33 PM »
YoshiP's involvement gives hope and FFXIV has an EXCELLENT sense of adventure like the FF's of old within the confines of an MMO.

However, this isn't directed by YoshiP this is directed by the same guy that directed The Last Remnant.  When you piece that together, it makes even more sense. FFXVI looks like a continuation of that game in terms of character design and aesthetic.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 04:21:42 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2020, 04:31:35 PM »

This is a fact, I’ve just loaded up ff7remake and done the first little bit and it shits all over this graphically :lol :lol :lol
(ice)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2020, 04:33:09 PM »

This is a fact, I’ve just loaded up ff7remake and done the first little bit and it shits all over this graphically :lol :lol :lol

And then you go the slums and it looks like an up-ressed PS3 launch game.

For the record, I’m not even bitching about it. I loved the game. But the disparity in graphical quality between different areas was insane.
Margs

Bebpo

« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2020, 04:38:01 PM »
YoshiP's involvement gives hope and FFXIV has an EXCELLENT sense of adventure like the FF's of old within the confines of an MMO.

However, this isn't directed by YoshiP this is directed by the same guy that directed The Last Remnant.  When you piece that together, it makes even more sense. FFXVI looks like a continuation of that game in terms of character design and aesthetic.

(Image removed from quote.)

I mean Hiroshi Takai was the assistant director for FFXIV 2.0 and Heavensward. And the writer of FFXVI is Kazutoyo Maehiro the writer of FFXIV 2.0 and Heavensward and Matsuno's right-hand person who worked on Vagrant Story/FFT/FFXII with YoshiP producing.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Kazutoyo_Maehiro

It's like 95% the FFXIV team that made ARR (2.0) and Heavensward + DMCV/Dragon's Dogma battle designer.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2020, 04:40:14 PM »

And then you go the slums and it looks like an up-ressed PS3 launch game.

For the record, I’m not even bitching about it. I loved the game. But the disparity in graphical quality between different areas was insane.

Probably cos the lighting was doing a lot of the work, not keeping it all at ‘night’ was the biggest mistake they’d with remake imo.

Might be the same with this, the non drab grey areas might look stunning and make you think who gives a shit about the shitty face models, who the fuck knows :trumps
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2020, 04:41:35 PM »

A lot of modern FF stans like to proudly claim that the series has evolved and you're the one that needs to catch up.

But there's a double edge sword to always restarting every time you make a new game. There's a case against asset reuse, or asset overuse in the case of the Capcom versus titles in the 2000's or Musou games or whatever, but there's a definite boon to using the material that came before you. Each new FF is its brand new thing but this presents a unique curse. Since every FF is now developed in isolation they never reuse things that could be to a benefit from the last game. So FFXII's gambits? Despite being award winning? Gone, never to return and never to be improved upon besides an FFXII re-release. So now 14 years later in FFVIIR we have AI worse and wit less options than what was in FFXII. The fact that FF's don't reuse the building blocks of prior games comes across as incredibly wasteful and only works to further divide your fanbase. Surely it's possible to make new things while also perfecting the things of old that fans liked or didn't like? So you can tell this is its own thing and despite five years of FFVIIR Part 1 development they don't seem to be using it as a template at all. Back to square one, each and every time.

What a baffling company.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2020, 04:42:36 PM »

I mean Hiroshi Takai was the assistant director for FFXIV 2.0 and Heavensward. And the writer of FFXVI is Kazutoyo Maehiro the writer of FFXIV 2.0 and Heavensward and Matsuno's right-hand person who worked on Vagrant Story/FFT/FFXII with YoshiP producing.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Kazutoyo_Maehiro

It's like 95% the FFXIV team that made ARR (2.0) and Heavensward + DMCV/Dragon's Dogma battle designer.

See, despite the horrific first reveal the staff begs to keep me interested in how this goes. Such an interesting dilemma.  :obama
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2020, 04:45:41 PM »
Ive watched the trailer multiple times and I seriously don't get an FF vibe at all. I say this as someone that likes high fantasy FF's. The character design for example is extremely unappealing to me. The main character is a dark haired guy with a mark on his face? Where's his distinguishing features? Ramza has the purple clothing and the spiked dark knight armor. Terra's got her green hair. Cloud has his sword and spikey blonde hair. Squall had his leather jacket and gunblade. Zidane's tail. Vivi's hat. Tidus' unique ensemble. Basch's badassery and Fran's exotic coolness. Faris in V, Kain in IV, the iconic fighter and black mage in I. Barret's gunarm. Edea's makeup and horns. Iconic. All of them. Even Lightning and Noctis stick out.

I looked at this trailer and nothing sticks out. It doesn't look appealing at all. It didn't make a good first impression. And this is just the topic of character design. This is without mentioning the fact the main character warps around the battlefield like Noctis. In every way, even in combat, the game screams unoriginal and bland.

As i said it looks like even the main characters were created with a character creator.
The only one that visually sticks out is the child, because of the red robe (and because he's a child).

Also i think Akihito Yoshida's character designs are incredible in Vagrant Story and Tactics, i even have his artbook.
In this one though it looks really uninspired, very disappointing to see his working on this, and this is the result, it's like they took his usual fantasy designs, and put them in a "blAnder" ( :rimshot).
I know he supposedly worked on XIV too, but that one looks stupid mostly because it's an MMO, so i can forgive its lack of cohesion.

Bebpo

« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2020, 04:47:35 PM »
Yeah, I mean say what you want but if this turns out to be a non-fucked up development problems game, this will legit be the first original single player FF game with a coherent vision from start to finish released since FFX. twenty years ago.

That is insane that it's been twenty years since there has been a single player FF game that wasn't a mess. Although maybe FFX-2, FFXIII-2, FFXIII-3 count, idk.

I mean there's still zero gaurantee this won't be a mess, but without trying to aim for impossible high budget CG looks and stuff and just putting out a game that they've been working on since 2016 after Heavensward development ended gives a good possibility of a non-mess FF game that may actually feel complete and cohesive. Which, along with being made by good staff, is exciting.

Himu

« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2020, 04:59:06 PM »

As i said it looks like even the main characters were created with a character creator.
The only one that visually sticks out is the child, because of the red robe (and because he's a child).

Also i think Akihito Yoshida's character designs are incredible in Vagrant Story and Tactics, i even have his artbook.
In this one though it looks really uninspired, very disappointing to see his working on this, and this is the result, it's like they took his usual fantasy designs, and put them in a "blAnder" ( :rimshot).
I know he supposedly worked on XIV too, but that one looks stupid mostly because it's an MMO, so i can forgive its lack of cohesion.

I have no why Yoshida is not on this.

His work in FFXIV is stupendous. It perfectly blends his style with Amano's designs in full 3D. Despite looking like FFXIV in terms of graphics it lacks FFXIV's spectacular art design which is...underwhelming and baffling?

The MMO looks better.

Also Yoshida is not character designer.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2020, 05:02:17 PM »

And even the 'medieval', swords and sorcery of 1-5 had their shares of otherworldly, fantastical settings. Floating space castles (1), the interior of a tornado (2), the ocean floor (3 and 5), a castle made of pulsating flesh (5), the inside of a giant robot (4)...
^_^

Himu

« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2020, 05:04:36 PM »

And even the 'medieval', swords and sorcery of 1-5 had their shares of otherworldly, fantastical settings. Floating space castles (1), the interior of a tornado (2), the ocean floor (3 and 5), a castle made of pulsating flesh (5), the inside of a giant robot (4)...

In FFIV you go to outer space on a whale spaceship to the moon.

In FF1 the entire game is a sci-fi time loop.

The high fantasy medieval hard on FF fans have always driven me bonkers. Only FFT's world lacks tech and wonder and that game is all about class warfare and political intrigue to make up for it because it exists in a fallen, post-tech world after everything burned.

FF has always been a unique blend of fantasy and sci-fi. Even the game these people like to jack themselves over, FFIX, is steampunk and not entirely medieval.

I've always hated them and I hate them even more in the last 24 hours.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2020, 05:13:10 PM »

I have no why Yoshida is not on this.

His work in FFXIV is stupendous. It perfectly blends his style with Amano's designs in full 3D. Despite looking like FFXIV in terms of graphics it lacks FFXIV's spectacular art design which is...underwhelming and baffling?

The MMO looks better.

Also Yoshida is not character designer.
See, those designs from XIV i don't like, armors are too busy looking, with random spikes everywhere, and i don't like how clumsy the blend of different cultural elements is (but this extends to many MMos in general, with their kitchen sink approach). 

I love the character design in Vagrant Story, Tactics and FFXII though.

Also in the wiki they go on as if he (helped) design the characters:
In designing the character of Vaan for Final Fantasy XII, initially the character was "rugged" and "tough", but after considering the demographics of the games audience, the character was made younger and thinner.[5] Once the actors motion captured and voice actor Kohei Takeda did the part, the character became slightly less effeminate than was originally designed.[5] Yoshida set out to create a cast of characters who looked unlike any previous Final Fantasy cast.[6] He also stated that the character reflected what Japanese audiences want, but that they try to design characters everyone likes.[6]
And i've read he's working on XVI too (the game is listed on his Wiki page, dunno if it's confirmed), so that's why i'm mentioning his designs  :yeshrug.

Himu

« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2020, 05:16:03 PM »
The spikes are a call back to Amano.

It's basically Amano in 3D.

I get not liking it but I think they were very successful at this. FFXIV in no way is supposed to represent Yoshida's pure style. It's Yoshida x Amano.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2020, 05:36:45 PM »
Yeah, I mean say what you want but if this turns out to be a non-fucked up development problems game, this will legit be the first original single player FF game with a coherent vision from start to finish released since FFX. twenty years ago.

That is insane that it's been twenty years since there has been a single player FF game that wasn't a mess. Although maybe FFX-2, FFXIII-2, FFXIII-3 count, idk.

I mean there's still zero gaurantee this won't be a mess, but without trying to aim for impossible high budget CG looks and stuff and just putting out a game that they've been working on since 2016 after Heavensward development ended gives a good possibility of a non-mess FF game that may actually feel complete and cohesive. Which, along with being made by good staff, is exciting.

FFX was truly FF's swan song. Let's hope this is a homecoming party. 2021 will mark the 20th anniversary (:fbm :stahp) of FFX and J. Scheirer is saying this could make it to early 2022. Marking it nearly 20 years when we were all playing FFX (it came out one week before Christmas in USA and came out in 2002 in Yurop so most of us were playing it well in 2002 despite it being a 2001 game). If this game has a good story and good gameplay with a captivating world it could very well mark a return of quality for single player FF.

Let's cross our fingers it comes to fruition.

YoshiP and his team also have a good pulse on the fanbase so I know that they know of the turn based vs action split in the fanbase and I'm willing to bet it's even bigger in Japan. I'm hoping despite the initial trailer there will be lots of effort to cater to traditional fans despite what it seems more so than VIIR and XV did.

We gotta trust in the team on this, which is bizarre coming from FF. But it is what it is.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2020, 05:40:28 PM »
Complaints about the graphics are ironic to me considering years of shitting on Square because of how they prioritize graphics over a game.

This series can not win.

Complain about how the series has nonsensical character designs. Now it’s complaints when it has restrained and less over the top designs that fit the tone it’s going for.

Complain about how the series is overly anime bs, now complain that it’s not.

Complain that it’s action combat, but somehow have no problem with action rpgs in general.

Complain how the art direction hasn’t been cohesive. Now it’s complaints because it’s simpler and more grounded(at least in this first trailer).

Complain about how it’s action combat when the last big game did action combat well and fail to realize the series will never go back to then based. And that action combat does not have to be bad.

Complain about the series bad storytelling and show no optimism for a different type of storytelling that could be possible.

Complain about the series graphics focus and now complain about a perfectly fine looking game.

Complain that the series is the same shit over and over again. Now complain that the new installment does not look like the other games.

Just nothing but endless complaining. It’s good that some of you say your done with the series. Let it go, so you can stop complaining.

I was right about VIIR. I’ll be right about this.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 05:48:50 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2020, 05:44:45 PM »
Barely anyone here is complaining about the graphics besides observing they're poor. Some of us even think the lack of emphasis on graphics is a good thing. Most of the ire is pointed at the overall aesthetic, which is separate from graphics. I don't think I or others would mind the graphics if the aesthetic were more up to par. The character designs are truly awful.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2020, 05:51:56 PM »
Awful compared to what? They look perfectly fine.

The aesthetic is the most Japanese take on European fantasy where things are not going to be overly grim and dirty. Instead this looks more clean and reminds me of XI where things are more clean and practical. This is what people asked for and not they got it and don’t like it. But they also would be complaining if it was more Nomura sci-fi kpop. The series can not win.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2020, 05:54:11 PM »
:hyper
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2020, 05:54:26 PM »
Also no one is even saying it's going to suck. You're being overly defensive. Most of us cautiously optimistic mostly given the pedigree of the staff involved. However, what we have to go on is one trailer and it's not a good one. If people cannot critique before release we all might as well get 70 fucking dollars out now and suck SE's cock. Nothing deserves unwavering support.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2020, 05:55:55 PM »
I'm not doing this on my my dad's first birthday after he passed. Refer to my post about nothing memorable or distinctive about the characters' designs. They're bad to me and others.

IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2020, 05:57:29 PM »
I don’t consider endless bitching as critiquing but that’s a FF thread.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2020, 06:05:21 PM »
Game clearly needs more nomura da gawd input :pimp

Imagine how much better these shitty generic characters would look with an extra 15 belts a piece :lawd
(ice)

Rahxephon91

« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2020, 06:09:20 PM »
No. I’ll take FF characters that don’t look stupid, out of place in their own world, and with outfits that make sense for once.

Himu

« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2020, 06:43:30 PM »
Pretty much everyone in this entire thread: This looks wack for multiple reasons and looks like the complete opposite of what I want out of Final Fantasy but because of the pedigree of the staff involved I'll chalk this up to an early game trailer and trust the team. :obama

RahXephon: Why do you hate Final Fantasy? :tocry
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2020, 06:44:38 PM »

I like Amano.
But you know when you see a real life cosplay of a cool fictional character, and it just looks completely dorky? That's the impression i get from trying to do Amano in 3D (with non-stylized graphics, anyway).

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2020, 06:45:37 PM »
Complaints about the graphics are ironic to me considering years of shitting on Square because of how they prioritize graphics over a game.

This series can not win.

Complain about how the series has nonsensical character designs. Now it’s complaints when it has restrained and less over the top designs that fit the tone it’s going for.

Complain about how the series is overly anime bs, now complain that it’s not.

Complain that it’s action combat, but somehow have no problem with action rpgs in general.

Complain how the art direction hasn’t been cohesive. Now it’s complaints because it’s simpler and more grounded(at least in this first trailer).

Complain about how it’s action combat when the last big game did action combat well and fail to realize the series will never go back to then based. And that action combat does not have to be bad.

Complain about the series bad storytelling and show no optimism for a different type of storytelling that could be possible.

Complain about the series graphics focus and now complain about a perfectly fine looking game.

Complain that the series is the same shit over and over again. Now complain that the new installment does not look like the other games.

Just nothing but endless complaining. It’s good that some of you say your done with the series. Let it go, so you can stop complaining.

I was right about VIIR. I’ll be right about this.
Different people have different opinons, and complain about different things.
News At 11.

Himu

« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2020, 06:49:00 PM »

I like Amano.
But you know when you see a real life cosplay of a cool fictional character, and it just looks completely dorky? That's the impression i get from trying to do Amano in 3D (with non-stylized graphics, anyway).

I was really hoping for XVI to have Amano designs and fully stylized in-game so it looks like Vampire Hunter D or something but in video game form. Change it so not everyone is blonde, have Alexander O. Smith localize it, and bam.

Imagine if it looked like this but in-game.

Would be a dream come true.
IYKYK

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2020, 06:51:16 PM »

I like Amano.

ffxiv really amplifies the whole larping in FF vibe. i get what you mean, but also think that's like, the intention so people can feel kinda unique with all these wacky designs inspired by ff over the years.
◕‿◕

Rahxephon91

« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2020, 06:51:17 PM »
I mean I do think most of you hate FF. Which is fine. I just think you should admit it or come to terms with the fact these games aren’t for you anymore and leave it alone. You’ll probably be happier. It’s been the same complaints for over a decade now, you’re not going to get the game you want.

naff

« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2020, 06:52:43 PM »
stop with the butthurt. it's shameful.

I like Amano.

I was really hoping for XVI to have Amano designs and fully stylized in-game so it looks like Vampire Hunter D or something but in video game form. Change it so not everyone is blonde, have Alexander O. Smith localize it, and bam.

have you watched vampire hunter d lately?  :holeup  :kobeyuck  :badass
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #116 on: September 17, 2020, 06:55:26 PM »
stop with the butthurt. it's shameful.

I like Amano.

have you watched vampire hunter d lately?  :holeup  :kobeyuck  :badass

Bruh. Bloodlust tho.

Imagine FF looking like this.

And it having ATB or at least CTB.

With Uematsu esque orchestration.

And considering Arc games...

the technology is there.

File it under dream game that will never happen. Get Gooch in a producer and I'll legit cum.
IYKYK

naff

« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2020, 06:56:38 PM »
 ;) haha, totally. bloodlust is sick. and the art from the novels is mean. the 1985 movie is so janky and weird now.
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2020, 07:12:00 PM »

IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2020, 07:15:11 PM »
I mean I do think most of you hate FF. Which is fine. I just think you should admit it or come to terms with the fact these games aren’t for you anymore and leave it alone. You’ll probably be happier. It’s been the same complaints for over a decade now, you’re not going to get the game you want.
I don't hate FF, i also don't love FF.
I'm not a long time fan or anything, i only fully finished a handful of 'em.
I also probably will enjoy this game quite a lot, contrary to what you may think.

This is the Cyberpunk thread all over: criticizing one (or a couple) aspect of a game, doesn't mean you hate it.