Author Topic: FFXVI  (Read 7430 times)

Himu

FFXVI
« on: September 16, 2020, 07:29:20 PM »
Idk. Looked wack and cheap but giving it a shot.
IYKYK

Bebpo

Re: FFXVI
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 07:35:32 PM »
Definitely looked whack. Hopefully it's just super early alpha footage. Graphically it's probably the least impressive new FF showing.

It doesn't look like FFXIV to me other than the medieval setting. Doesn't look like FFXII/Ivalice either. Looks westernized like FF15 but Medieval with big ugly summons.

Still, FFXIV is great and Yoshi-P is cool, so hopefully will be a good story/adventure/gameplay.

Bebpo

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 07:36:12 PM »
Also no release date, right? Probably still a few years out (2022/2023) so it should look better hopefully later on.

And the VA was alright, I usually can't stand English VA in rpgs outside Ivalice, but this wasn't too bad.

Himu

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 07:42:01 PM »
For the first time ever a new FF reveal registered not a single emotion with me. I was  staring at my phone like a zombie.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 07:46:31 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 07:42:50 PM »
Definitely looked whack. Hopefully it's just super early alpha footage. Graphically it's probably the least impressive new FF showing.

It doesn't look like FFXIV to me other than the medieval setting. Doesn't look like FFXII/Ivalice either. Looks westernized like FF15 but Medieval with big ugly summons.

Still, FFXIV is great and Yoshi-P is cool, so hopefully will be a good story/adventure/gameplay.

YoshiP gives me hope
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 07:54:39 PM »
I actually don’t think the graphics look bad at all. The cinematic fight scenes and animation looked great.

Looked a little too westernized, but also that means the more anime over the topnesss looked restrained. It’s been nothing but Nomura for single player FF so a switch is good.

And while the aesthetic looks very Witcher wannabe. The animations don’t and the gameplay looked very Japanese. I just hope there’s actual party members and not just rpg DMC.

The story and writing already sound decent.

It’s FF and the series hasn’t lead my astray so I’m going to play it.

Himu

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 07:57:59 PM »
Has no Nomura in it so that's refreshing.

The gameplay looks even more in an action direction.
IYKYK

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 07:58:07 PM »

YoshiP gives me hope

Yoshi-P producing is a good sign. And the guy that is doing the combat worked on MVC2, Dragons Dogma and DMC 5, so at least the DMC parts will be good.

Himu

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 07:59:22 PM »

YoshiP gives me hope

Yoshi-P producing is a good sign. And the guy that is doing the combat worked on MVC2, Dragons Dogma and DMC 5, so at least the DMC parts will be good.

I don't want DMC combat in FF.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 08:00:46 PM »
Eh, if you're not doing Nomura art, at least give me Minaba.

The art looks like the Last Remnant x Kingsglaive. In fact in the opening at the campfire I thought FFXVI was a Kingsglaive/FFXV spin-off because the mercenaries look exactly like FFXV mercenaries.

Bebpo

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 08:01:38 PM »
But fwiw I think Nomura is the greatest so I'd be fine with more Nomura any day. FFVII Remake looks fucking gorgeous.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 08:01:52 PM »
great twitter thread I agree 100% with (click through for more good takes)

https://twitter.com/fireh9lly/status/1306349094386962432
QED

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 08:02:49 PM »
Feels like Square Enix is pulling a Capcom and separating Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy classic will be FF7 Remake part 2, and probably a different remake someday. While modern Final Fantasy goes in a different direction, which will be Dragon's Dogma combat.

OH!

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 08:06:57 PM »
great twitter thread I agree 100% with (click through for more good takes)

https://twitter.com/fireh9lly/status/1306349094386962432

what about like, the long ass tradition of FF switching between medieval steampunk and neo-future settings? i got more of a FFX vibe from the trailer.
◕‿◕

remy

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 08:08:17 PM »

That's fair. I'm just coming from the perspective that if they're going to do an action rpg ff, which seem unavoidable at this point, they might as well get someone who knows what they're doing to do it.

Bebpo

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 08:08:26 PM »
I'm just mad that Titan is ugly again and Shiva looks the same.

Give me cool new summon designs each game to make them feel unique.

Himu

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 08:14:20 PM »

That's fair. I'm just coming from the perspective that if they're going to do an action rpg ff, which seem unavoidable at this point, they might as well get someone who knows what they're doing to do it.

I liked FFVIIR combat specifically because it was a blend of action and menu based combat. It was a nice blend. This looks further into the action territory. We will see as more details come out.
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 08:17:34 PM »

I liked FFVIIR combat specifically because it was a blend of action and menu based combat. It was a nice blend. This looks further into the action territory. We will see as more details come out.

I'd guess it's like Dragon's Dogma combat, with Final Fantasy styled jobs and spells that can be customized. Each party member has a proficiency from the start that can't be changed.

OH!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 08:17:52 PM »
Feels like Square Enix is pulling a Capcom and separating Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy classic will be FF7 Remake part 2, and probably a different remake someday. While modern Final Fantasy goes in a different direction, which will be Dragon's Dogma combat.
I don’t think we know enough to say that. We don’t know anything about the systems and real gameplay. You take the hud away and VIIR looks not that far removed. It’s not like this had extreme juggles or anything. Other then the less colorful and out there look, nothing in the story also sounded beyond FFXIV.

But yes mainline FF is never going to be turn based again. That’s just the reality. But it doesn’t mean there can’t be depth or something more then just mashing X.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 08:22:19 PM »
I have come to the regrettable conclusion that this series no longer caters to my tastes. And that's ok! Diff'rent strokes to move the world n shit. Y'all enjoy.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
...game does look like ass aesthetically tho
[close]
yar

mormapope

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 08:22:27 PM »
I don’t think we know enough to say that. We don’t know anything about the systems and real gameplay. You take the hud away and VIIR looks not that far removed. It’s not like this had extreme juggles or anything. Other then the less colorful and out there look, nothing in the story also sounded beyond FFXIV.

But yes mainline FF is never going to be turn based again. That’s just the reality. But it doesn’t mean there can’t be depth or something more then just mashing X.

It's mainly the guy that did Dragon's Dogma and DMC 5 combat had to be brought on to the project because of those strengths. It would be a waste to pin him down to combat systems like FFXV or FFVIIR.

I don't think you'll be climbing onto monsters or doing juggle combos. But I do feel it's going to be a grounded action game with fantasy spellcasting and buffs.
OH!

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 08:26:09 PM »
After getting high and looking at the screenshots I'm feeling it more. The logo and Phoenix summon def look super cool I'll give it that
QED

Rahxephon91

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 08:32:26 PM »
Well I would hope they would bring someone in that knows action gameplay to make sure the action feels good. But that dosent mean it’s a forgone conclusion that it will lack that good rpg stuff. They still have people who are experts on that stuff there.

But also you give me a Dragons Dogma with a cool story and good party members and honestly that sounds like an amazing game.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2020, 08:51:01 PM »
I never played Dragon's Dogma, always thought it looked kinda... generic. And that this gives me a similar vibe, Japanese devs trying to create a bland medieval western game world. Although the FF series hasn't appealed to me since like, X (though I did like 13-2 and the 7 remake a bit), I liked seeing the interesting world and character design, but this one doesn't even have that. We'll see if this turns out decent, at least there's Bravely 2 and the inevitable DQ12 to look forward to.
^_^

remy

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2020, 08:56:38 PM »
Well I would hope they would bring someone in that knows action gameplay to make sure the action feels good. But that dosent mean it’s a forgone conclusion that it will lack that good rpg stuff. They still have people who are experts on that stuff there.

But also you give me a Dragons Dogma with a cool story and good party members and honestly that sounds like an amazing game.

That's basically where I'm at. I think the action gameplay looks great after looking closer at it, but I'm real curious as to how the "traditional FF" type stuff is going to come across in this game

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2020, 08:58:18 PM »
I never played Dragon's Dogma, always thought it looked kinda... generic.

:titus
ど助平

mormapope

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2020, 08:59:41 PM »
Dragon's Dogma was much more 80's styled D&D and Berserk influenced than WRPGS. It did things with action RPG combat that were ahead of it's time.

As for the world and world building itself, it went to places most games don't and has an incredible ending.

:rejoice :rejoice :rejoice
OH!

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2020, 09:06:20 PM »
Dragons Dogma is the fucking dopest video game to come out of Osaka maybe ever

mormapope

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2020, 09:10:16 PM »
Honestly, I would have never thought a game could show and demonstrate how having the power and immortality of a god can be an incredibly lonely and terrible existence.

In this same game, you can create a very sexy sidekick that can whip up tornado maelstroms one second, and then stumble off a cliff because a goblin whacked them in the head.
OH!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2020, 09:11:00 PM »
Dragon's Dogma is far from Generic. Play it : )
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2020, 09:19:55 PM »
FF16 trailer just seemed kinda generic medieval fantasy [with some giant summons]. Nothing I saw really made me excited at all.
dog

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2020, 09:20:12 PM »
I never played Dragon's Dogma, always thought it looked kinda... generic.

:titus
Art direction is intentionally generic western fantasy in DD, all the creatures are basically verbatim recreations of their classic imagery, so not an absurd hot take-- ofc. DD is an amazing game beyond that.
FFXVI did remind me of the DD's environments, in how empty they were, the only problem is, the two games are 2 generations apart.  :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2020, 09:34:11 PM »
Yeah, DD is cool but artistically/aesthetically it's that whole Japanese developers trying to make a wrpg look which they've failed to make visually interesting every.single.time except for FFXII.

FFXII is the only good looking J-wrpg. I wish FFXVI looked like that but in 4k w/ray-tracing and 60fps.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2020, 09:35:36 PM »
Let’s be honest, FFXIV also has kind of a boring overworld. I don’t know exactly the staff overlap, but XIV and FF general haven’t excelled in world design in a long time. I hope this isn’t the case here, but wouldn’t surprise me if so.

It’s honestly the gameplay(though not character progression), story, and set pieces that XIV has been great at. Which honestly a single player FF could use.
I’m not bothered by the graphics. That can improve.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2020, 09:38:44 PM »
TBH i watched the trailer 4 or 5 times now, and i'm still not quite sure WTF the story is about, or who the characters even are, they look kind of anonymous, except for the kid in red, maybe.
They can't do worse than XV though, so on that front they're probably good.

Bebpo

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2020, 09:39:09 PM »
FFXIV ARR was bad, but the art design has been pretty nice since. Shadowbringers world looked pretty ugly outside Ihl Mheg and the end area.

Bebpo

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2020, 09:40:31 PM »
TBH i watched the trailer 4 or 5 times now, and i'm still not quite sure WTF the story is about, or who the characters even are, they look kind of anonymous, except for the kid in red, maybe.

Seemed pretty straight forward? But I play lots of jrpgs.

You play as a bodyguard guy guarding a special prince kid thing, bad guys are after him, turns out the kid is the phoenix summon, war and shit, the end.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2020, 10:06:42 PM »
I trust in Yoshi P most definitely, but I don't trust upper management of Square Enix when it comes to the numbered FF's.

Not after Matsuno got done dirty with FF12. :goldberg

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2020, 10:28:25 PM »

You play as a bodyguard guy guarding a special prince kid thing, bad guys are after him, turns out the kid is the phoenix summon, war and shit, the end.
Yeah those were some plot elements i gathered, but it's edited in a weird way, and the protagonist looks so anonymous, that i wasn't even sure  if you were him, or multiple people.
TBH Agni's Philosophy conveyed a better sense of drama in a similar time frame (even if it didn't really have a larger plot to get across).

This one almost seemed a trailer for a running show you're supposed to already be familiar with.

EDIT: Maybe the main character is so anonymous, because you can create a character. :thinking

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2020, 10:28:46 PM »
I mean, if anyone at SE should be trusted with a new number FF at this point, it's devs from the Realm Reborn team.
It's mainly the guy that did Dragon's Dogma and DMC 5 combat had to be brought on to the project because of those strengths.
breh is this confirmed?

Hype up x1000

Bebpo

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2020, 10:29:42 PM »

Yeah those were some plot elements i gathered, but it's edited in a weird way, and the protagonist looks so anonymous, that i wasn't even sure  if you were him, or multiple people.
TBH Agni's Philosophy conveyed a better sense of drama in a similar time frame (even if it didn't really have a larger plot to get across).

This one almost seemed a trailer for a running show you're supposed to already be familiar with.

EDIT: Maybe the main character is so anonymous, because you can create a character. :thinking

Agni's looked great and had a nice visual style. Too bad we didn't get a game out of it :(

Rahxephon91

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2020, 12:10:40 AM »
Yeah after watching direct feed trailers. Yeah no, this looks great. This is a type of FF I've been looking for. Just please have party members. Which during the swamp battle, you do see another npc in a battle stance.

Actually, it looks more like FFXI as well. I'm liking this more tone down and "grounded" look more and more. The outfit design is doing a good job of that Japanese sense of style that I like, but not an over a abundance.  of style that it looks dumb

I have a feeling that a lot of this is from early in the game and one area. When you are in the green area, main character is in a different outfit(maybe a time skip as I think the two dudes at the end are the same.)

Also they seem to be fighting a different race at the beginning.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 12:23:25 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2020, 12:22:54 AM »
Yeah after watching direct feed trailers. Yeah no, this looks great. This is a type of FF I've been looking for. Just please have party members.
That gif you posted highlights one of the problems:

Look how empty that arena is, i know it's supposed to be a combat area, but FROM games have shown that there's always some stuff you can use. Looks like a church, so destructible props could be benches, tables, floor lamps, even books and rubble all over the floor to avoid that many right angles, to have the arena look more lived in and alive.
This kind of applies to all the shots in the trailer, more or less.

Also character models are pretty poor, for a next gen game, they look Witcher 3 level at best.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2020, 12:24:26 AM »
That said, i'm still kind of intrigued by the game, even though i think it's visually very underwhelming and the story doesn't seem anything particular, i'm curious to see a new FF not touched by Nomura, for one.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2020, 12:26:50 AM »
Looks fine to me.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2020, 12:28:37 AM »
"Fine" is what i expect from the next random anime JRPG from WaifuFactory, not Final Fantasy XVI on PS5, but to each their own.

naff

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2020, 12:29:34 AM »
the battle arena style made me wonder if they were more instanced boss areas. very pragmatic. i know what you mean about destructible props, but that just seems like a token graphical distraction. ff has always been about you vs the enemy. the environment is not a part of the battles.

◕‿◕

Rahxephon91

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2020, 12:31:05 AM »
Ok.

Anyway, I wonder if the summons will be like matiera and something you attach to a character.

Obviously at 1:56 or so you see him using phoenix stuff. But also at 2:22 Titan's stuff is part of his attack.

naff

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2020, 12:32:37 AM »
just seems like a classic cross gen product, not visually stunning maybe. that's often the trade-off for a lot of content and meeting deadlines. it looks good, if not great. weirdly looks like the most promising ff since XII to me. i'm not a big fan of XV and while I enjoyed my time with XIII and XIV they were so heavily flawed. hoping this is more of a sprawling saga with the environmental diversity and ambition of XII.

i guess XIV is it's own thing and if you're into that style of mmo power to you. i really forced myself to level a character and there were moments of brilliance, but overall mmo's just aren't my bag i think.
◕‿◕

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2020, 12:41:52 AM »
the battle arena style made me wonder if they were more instanced boss areas. very pragmatic. i know what you mean about destructible props, but that just seems like a token graphical distraction. ff has always been about you vs the enemy. the environment is not a part of the battles.

It'll be a beefed up FF13 combat system. Lightning Returns already did the 1-woman battle arena shit
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2020, 12:45:02 AM »
I doubt that. The FFXIII lineage is in the VIIR stuff.

Or maybe it will and instead of garments it's summons you switch between.

naff

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2020, 12:48:09 AM »
imo, it looks like they have their priorities in the right place. people calling this out as some normie trad western fantasy shite are just wrong. this is going to be rife with weird japanese takes on western tropes like any ff that has ever been.
◕‿◕

Rahxephon91

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2020, 12:49:46 AM »
Yeah, it does have sad looking kpop dude in it.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2020, 02:12:43 AM »
imo, it looks like they have their priorities in the right place. people calling this out as some normie trad western fantasy shite are just wrong. this is going to be rife with weird japanese takes on western tropes like any ff that has ever been.
I'm just saying FFIX and XII immediately stand out, even when taking Western Fantasy tropes and doing their things with it.
Nevertheless, we'll see how things shake up, it's not like i want a bad game or anything, and we've seen very little of what is likely years away.

Bebpo

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2020, 02:28:56 AM »
I watched the trailer again and it doesn't look as bad as my first watch of it when I was expecting something more akin to Agni with amazing visuals and art.

Honestly outside the combat gameplay scenes, the cutscene stuff all looks fine. Summons are a bit bland looking, as are the character designs, but it looks solid.

The gameplay stuff just looks real empty in the reveal of just 1 on 1 battles in empty box arenas. It reminds me of when they announce Tales of games and they just show the lead beating up an enemy or two. Looks lame and empty and then then later there's full party combat and Tales battles look good. Hopefully that'll be the case here.

Also apparently they're aiming for 2021 for this?? It looks...early. Guessing it'll bump to at least 2022.

And the combat looks a lot like DMC on second look. You can see the FF summons are being used as DMC style weapons with Titan's fists and Phoenix wings and stuff. Dunno how that'll play out but it's a thing.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2020, 02:47:05 AM »
For the first time ever a new FF reveal registered not a single emotion with me. I was  staring at my phone like a zombie.

Idk been like this since 13.

Bebpo

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2020, 03:41:59 AM »

Idk been like this since 13.

Versus/FFXV was cool looking af. In the end the game is hugely problematic because of firing the entire fucking team and having someone else stitch it together real quick, but man did FFXV look great.

I still want a good modern/futuristic sci-fi FF at some point. XV was sorta it at a few points but generally not that modern. I want more jrpgs like Persona/Shin Megami Tensei that take place in a modern city where everyone has cellphones.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2020, 03:47:20 AM »
How could you not get hyped with this trailer?

The game was what it was (mostly bad) in the end, but this trailer looked absurd at the time.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2020, 05:25:44 AM »
Yeah that was one of the best trailers ever.

Yeah, the XVI trailer dosen't come close. But it does look more tangible.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2020, 05:45:32 AM »
Another thing that gives me hope is the simple fact that there are plenty of cutscenes in the trailer. Like XV's trailers of the actual game were light on that and well the story was pretty light as well.

I just like what I'm seeing.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 05:50:10 AM by Rahxephon91 »