Author Topic: Microsoft Bought Bethesda  (Read 14998 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Microsoft Bought Bethesda
« Reply #180 on: September 24, 2020, 09:20:34 PM »
Which is an illegal thing to do, support good games!
fat

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #181 on: September 24, 2020, 11:32:16 PM »
Why the fuck would anyone buy Konami? Do we really need ANOTHER Metal Gear game?

Yes.meme (Only if it's from Kojimbo)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #182 on: September 25, 2020, 02:14:26 AM »
Why the fuck would anyone buy Konami? Do we really need ANOTHER Metal Gear game?

Jesus let the man be free of that series.  :lol
(even though DS straddled really close to it several times)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 05:36:13 AM by Don Rumata »

Beezy

« Reply #183 on: September 25, 2020, 05:24:14 AM »
You can, thanks to Xbox One BC! Wow!

Thanks Microsoft! #ad

Buy it today!

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-us/Product/Hard-Corps-Uprising/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410a18

Sorry PlayStation, maybe next time
Looks like there were dlc characters that I never bought. I think I'll get them and do a replay soon since it works on Xbox One. :gun

Svejk

« Reply #184 on: September 25, 2020, 08:13:31 AM »
You can, thanks to Xbox One BC! Wow!

Thanks Microsoft! #ad

Buy it today!

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-us/Product/Hard-Corps-Uprising/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410a18

Sorry PlayStation, maybe next time
I had it on PS3 digital form, if I just fire up my PS4 and... oh wait...  :fbm

Svejk

« Reply #185 on: September 25, 2020, 08:18:06 AM »
Going back to Bethesda, I seriously don't see how they'll only release TESVI solely on BoneSEX/PC...  They should pull a Soyny and just do the year of exclusivity on there, but it would be throwing away an elephant ass load of money not porting it to PS5 (assuming this will have similar success and install base as PS4).  Seems to be too massive of a series to not do that.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #186 on: September 25, 2020, 08:30:32 AM »
Going back to Bethesda, I seriously don't see how they'll only release TESVI solely on BoneSEX/PC...  They should pull a Soyny and just do the year of exclusivity on there, but it would be throwing away an elephant ass load of money not porting it to PS5 (assuming this will have similar success and install base as PS4).  Seems to be too massive of a series to not do that.
Nah, Starfield and Elder Scrolls will be big Xbox / GamePass / PC exclusives.
I can see them release the inevitable remasters and less popular shoot bang games like Wolfenstein on PS5 though.

To me it looks like Microsoft wants to corner the WRPG market with Starfield, Elder Scrolls, Fable, Avowed.
Not having to built anything for Sony's machines will probably save Bethesda a lot of time too.
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: September 25, 2020, 08:47:59 AM »
Bethesda diehard fans will purchase an Xbox for TES6/Fallout

100% guaranteed
What

Svejk

« Reply #188 on: September 25, 2020, 09:10:20 AM »

100% guaranteed
I guess I'm not that diehard of a fan as I thought I was then.  :heh
By the time TESVI comes, streaming games should be much tighter.  I'll play it that way.

Himu

« Reply #189 on: September 25, 2020, 09:23:16 AM »
Microsoft buying Sega, Persona 3 + 4 + 5 on game pass, Persona 6 exclusive to Xbox.

The salt
(Image removed from quote.)

Is this about games or console wars? It seems to me it's about console wars. Given your age it couldn't be more pathetic.

Have you ever played a Persona game? You say it's about laughing at Sony fans but in what way is Microsoft buying Sega good for games?

Celebrating companies buying companies is a byproduct consumer wars. No one in their right mind should celebrate monopolies.

Admit it, you're a Microsoft fanboy.
IYKYK

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #190 on: September 25, 2020, 09:27:14 AM »
Microsoft buying Sega, Persona 3 + 4 + 5 on game pass, Persona 6 exclusive to Xbox.

The salt

Is this about games or console wars? It seems to me it's about console wars. Given your age it couldn't be more pathetic.

Have you ever played a Persona game?

:gaas

Celebrating companies buying companies is a byproduct consumer wars. No one in their right mind should celebrate monopolies.

Admit it, you're a Microsoft fanboy.

:gaas

My avatar is Phil Spencer with a fucking Xbox bazooka, of course Im rooting for Xbox lmao. I love Nintendo too. And yes I've played Persona 3 for about 8 hours and Persona 4 for about 50.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 09:33:01 AM by mormapope »
OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: September 25, 2020, 09:32:44 AM »

100% guaranteed

Wouldn't most Bethesda diehard fans be PC players?
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #192 on: September 25, 2020, 09:35:42 AM »
See? This boy out here cheering monopolies for "luls".

He a system whore in 2020. Pathetic.

Probably salty he stuck with MS this gen which no one in their right mind would do outside of loyalists. A few years ago said he'd probably never buy a PS4, now he's cheering MS buying up companies in an age where almost nothing is exclusive.

His excuse will be,"i'm laughing at reset sony ponies" but it's Reset. They're all re re's. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. Nah, fanboyism is what drives this. Which drives the luls. Which is why he responds with a fart emoji, because he's out here cheering for Microsoft to buy Sega (in what way does this benefit Sega?).

You should be like the rest of us: be a mercenary. Go where the games go. If MS brings the goods, I will gladly get an Xbox.  Xbox 1 and Xbox 360 were good-great systems.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: September 25, 2020, 09:36:00 AM »
You say it's about laughing at Sony fans but in what way is Microsoft buying Sega good for games?

I could see one hypothetical scenario working here, which is that Microsoft, now owning Sega, brings back lots of dormant IPs.  Outrun, Afterburner, Golden Axe, JET SET RADIO, Virtua Fighter, etc. all back with new games being made.  They get a competent studio to take over development on Sonic.  A push is made to sell consoles in Japan with Yakuza and RPGs from Atlus.  We get a special "Mega Drive Xbox Series S/X."  That kind of thing.

And this reads like some kind of cheesy fanfiction and will never happen.
 :tocry
ど助平

mormapope

« Reply #194 on: September 25, 2020, 09:43:17 AM »

Wow, this is a very gassy post.

Also, owning 600+ games on Xbone and 50+ games on Switch, does that give me mercenary status?

OH!

Himu

« Reply #195 on: September 25, 2020, 09:46:55 AM »
You say it's about laughing at Sony fans but in what way is Microsoft buying Sega good for games?

I could see one hypothetical scenario working here, which is that Microsoft, now owning Sega, brings back lots of dormant IPs.  Outrun, Afterburner, Golden Axe, JET SET RADIO, Virtua Fighter, etc. all back with new games being made.  They get a competent studio to take over development on Sonic.  A push is made to sell consoles in Japan with Yakuza and RPGs from Atlus.  We get a special "Mega Drive Xbox Series S/X."  That kind of thing.

:dead This is wishful thinking.

In what way has MS buying any company resulted in better rewards for them? Look at what happened to Rare. World class at one point, then ended up making Kinect games. and you're out here expecting a new VF? A new JSR?

MS buying companies has been universally bad for them in the long run. Give me one example where it works out well.

And as a Sega fan, from 7 to now, I definitely want MS as far away from them as possible.

Microsoft has a looooong history of buying studios.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/11/e3-2018-heres-what-happened-to-every-studio-microsoft-has-bought

And you'd have to be extra stupid or a complete Microsoft stan to want them buy something like Sega. Guarantee: if MS buys Sega the blue company will be closed within 10 years.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #196 on: September 25, 2020, 09:48:09 AM »

Also, owning 600+ games on Xbone and 50+ games on Switch, does that give me mercenary status?

THAT MAN IS A CONSOLE FA.GGOT IN 2020 Y'ALL
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #197 on: September 25, 2020, 09:49:54 AM »

In what way has MS buying any company resulted in better rewards for them? Look at what happened to Rare. World class at one point, then ended up making Kinect games. and you're out here expecting a new VF? A new JSR?

MS buying companies has been universally bad for them in the long run. Give me one example where it works out well.

And as a Sega fan, from 7 to now, I definitely want MS as far away from them as possible.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/11/e3-2018-heres-what-happened-to-every-studio-microsoft-has-bought

And you'd have to be extra stupid or a complete Microsoft stan to want them buy something like Sega. Guarantee: if MS buys Sega the blue company will be closed within 10 years.

They sound... pretty content and happy about it!
OH!

thisismyusername

« Reply #198 on: September 25, 2020, 09:50:37 AM »

Who said I wanted him chained to it? I'm willing to let him do whatever he wants, but he should be able to oversee and continue the series if he wants.

Speaking of Konami and Metal Gear:

https://www.gog.com/game/metal_gear_solid
https://www.gog.com/game/metal_gear_solid_2_substance
https://www.gog.com/game/metal_gear

Not up on Steam yet, but it looks like the "rumor" *autistic screeching* poster was right.

(MGS3 and 4, plz)

Being fair: Rare said the same shiny-happy-people bullshit before they turned into... that.

MS has a history of mismanaging companies. Ensemble Studios sends their regards and all that.

Himu

« Reply #199 on: September 25, 2020, 09:53:11 AM »
Where is MG2: Solid Snake?

IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #200 on: September 25, 2020, 09:53:13 AM »
If those are the original PC ports with no changes made, they're full of problems and not worth bothering with.

Is the original Metal Gear the NES ROM?
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #201 on: September 25, 2020, 09:53:32 AM »
Speaking of Metal Gear, the collection is BC too. Definitely gonna be playing MGS2 and 3 (maybe peace walker? haha just kidding peace walker sucks dick) at 120fps 4K
fat

mormapope

« Reply #202 on: September 25, 2020, 09:55:05 AM »

Who said I wanted him chained to it? I'm willing to let him do whatever he wants, but he should be able to oversee and continue the series if he wants.

Speaking of Konami and Metal Gear:

https://www.gog.com/game/metal_gear_solid
https://www.gog.com/game/metal_gear_solid_2_substance
https://www.gog.com/game/metal_gear

Not up on Steam yet, but it looks like the "rumor" *autistic screeching* poster was right.

(MGS3 and 4, plz)

Being fair: Rare said the same shiny-happy-people bullshit before they turned into... that.

MS has a history of mismanaging companies. Ensemble Studios sends their regards and all that.

That's comparing Microsoft management from 2003-2015 to 2020 though. I'm not gonna say Microsoft has a great track record for studio managing in the past. But I'd say genuinely that they're putting effort into the industry, which hasn't been the case for a while.

OH!

thisismyusername

« Reply #203 on: September 25, 2020, 09:56:36 AM »
That's comparing Microsoft management from 2003-2015 to 2020 though. I'm not gonna say Microsoft has a great track record for studio managing in the past. But I'd say genuinely that they're putting effort into the industry, which hasn't been the case for a while.

"Bethesda is happy with the acquisition!"
"Rare, et. al. companies said the same thing, dude."
"NO NOT LIKE THAT!"

:comeon

It's ok to be optimistic, but it's not ok to dismiss concerns given their history of managing the companies they buy.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #204 on: September 25, 2020, 09:58:11 AM »

100% guaranteed

No.
What

mormapope

« Reply #205 on: September 25, 2020, 09:59:53 AM »

"Bethesda is happy with the acquisition!"
"Rare, et. al. companies said the same thing, dude."
"NO NOT LIKE THAT!"

:comeon

You didn't understand my point. Different CEO, different head of the Xbox division, different management from the top down.

The point of "Both studios said they were happy and look what happened...."

Management in general is going to influence the fate of a studio lmao

It's ok to be optimistic, but it's not ok to dismiss concerns given their history of managing the companies they buy

The concerns are built off of Don Mattrick and the cocaine cowboys that turned Rare into a Kinect studio.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #206 on: September 25, 2020, 10:02:01 AM »
Console wargames here but I would fully expect Sony to buy Atlus from Sega if MS were ever to buy them. Atlus has never made a game for Xbox besides that online MMO which was clearly an attempt to procure funding and little else. Meanwhile, they've putting games on Sony hardware as far  back as Persona 1 and Soul Hackers.

Of course, this would also probably be bad for the Atlus fan given Atlus' relationship with Nintendo. SMTV is on Switch and Persona 5 is coming as well. Megami Tensei were on Famicom all the way to the end of the Super Famicom. Never mind their DS and 3DS libraries. And given Microsoft history of treating jrpgs as if disposable?

I'm very against console makers buying out other studios unless they already have a very close relationship (see: Nintendo buying Retro or Sony buying Naughty Dog).

Anything else is always bad for the consoomer.  Always.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #207 on: September 25, 2020, 10:04:19 AM »

100% guaranteed

No.

Imma go with Riotous on this one:

Morrowind certainly produced a lot of console die-hards.

But yes "most" are PC.. their games sell better there still.   They've even talked about the mix before, I am too lazy to google.. but IIRC it was PC > XBox > PS4 for Fallout 4.

When I think "diehard," I think of the people still creating and using mods for these games...on PC.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #208 on: September 25, 2020, 10:08:14 AM »

Bungie became mega rich from Microsoft... and was allowed to separate.  Lionhead was about to die as a company.. MS injected tons of money into them and they released a couple really successful Fable games.   They crashed and burned after Molyneux left and MS has some blame for that, but MS managed them well for almost a decade before that.  They would have been bought by someone else and we have no clue what would have happened because plenty of devs have sucked after big publishers buy them.

Allegedly Rare has basically done what their creatives actually wanted to do... that's what people on the ground have said, even about them making Kinect games.   Also who the fuck knows if Rare would ever have really made the leap into modern gaming?  Not every dev from that era did, at all.. many are the butt of many jokes today.

Xbox has gone through 2 big management changes so it's hard to paint some clear picture that makes them universally bad.   They also didn't exactly acquire that many studios before 2018.

Don't get me wrong 343i is kind of a joke.. they did eventually not make Lionhead employees happy, etc.. but supposedly they've learned from that.  Lionhead complaints were MS meddling too much with creatives.. literally every dev they've bought since 2018 is on record saying that MS is just throwing money at them and letting them create what they want.  Companies like Obsidian that were worried about every project they had to prototype not being bought, etc.

We'll see in 2-3 years if that actually pans out.. since.. most of them were bought 2 years ago and games take a long time, especially when you are growing studios and a pandemic hits.

None of this is convincing me MS, a company that has historically treated Japanese games as if disposable, won't treat Sega as if disposable.

None of those studios you listed are Japanese.

MS buying Sega would be bad for the Sega fan, good for MS slut that probably doesn't give two shits.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #209 on: September 25, 2020, 10:08:50 AM »
You didn't understand my point. Different CEO, different head of the Xbox division, different management from the top down.

No, I understood your point. That's why I was being flippant.

"NO NOT LIKE THAT"/"IT'S A DIFFERENT CEO THOUGH!" doesn't mean there's no history. MS is MS, like Google is Google: If the company doesn't make them money off the bat (which Beth will) they'll drop them/mismanage them.

It's the same shit with Scalebound or Phantom Dust or any other Japanese company they have worked/collaborated with: They don't understand the company culture or don't understand the art-style/gameplay and fuck it up.

Instead of "Rare/Ensamble/etc. sends their regards," do you want me to say "Phantom Dust (which I'm a die-hard of) sends it's regards," instead?

"We're doing a remake!"
*MS/Phil mandates so much shit that changes from the original gameplay style and look*
"NO NOT LIKE THAT! FANS WILL HATE IT! *Cancels it*"

Again: :comeon

The concerns are built off of Don Mattrick and the cocaine cowboys that turned Rare into a Kinect studio.

The concerns are way before Don Mattrick, dude. You know how I know you haven't touched any "MS Games Studio" PC titles from the 1990's?

Himu

« Reply #210 on: September 25, 2020, 10:11:35 AM »

It's the same shit with Scalebound or Phantom Dust or any other Japanese company they have worked/collaborated with: They don't understand the company culture or don't understand the art-style/gameplay and fuck it up.

That.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #211 on: September 25, 2020, 10:12:30 AM »
Atlus has never made a game for Xbox besides that online MMO which was clearly an attempt to procure funding and little else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Megami_Tensei:_Nine

(Not to mention P4U/2 and publishing third parties [which isn't Atlus itself and I guess P4U wouldn't necessarily be Atlus themselves either])

Himu

« Reply #212 on: September 25, 2020, 10:13:33 AM »
Atlus has never made a game for Xbox besides that online MMO which was clearly an attempt to procure funding and little else.

(Not to mention P4U/2 and publishing third parties [which isn't Atlus itself and I guess P4U wouldn't necessarily be Atlus themselves either])

SMT 9 is the mmo I'm referring in that exact post.

This ain't an own.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #213 on: September 25, 2020, 10:13:39 AM »
Atlus has never made a game for Xbox besides that online MMO which was clearly an attempt to procure funding and little else. Meanwhile, they've putting games on Sony hardware as far  back as Persona 1 and Soul Hackers.

Atlus used to release games on everything, including the Virtual Boy- point being that they have supported most consoles going back to their original hardware releases, and that includes the Xbox, which got the exclusive release of Shin Megami Tensei: Nine.  They also published Touge R, but that was it, IIRC.  It makes sense that they didn't do anything else, since the Xbox was a major flop in Japan.  The MMORPG you're thinking of is Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine, which was a PC release.

They also released Catherine, Persona 4 Arena, and Persona 4 Ultimax for the Xbox 360, but like the Xbox, the 360 might as well not have existed over there.  I did always wonder why Atlus didn't at least release the other Persona games for the Microsoft consoles in North America and Europe, though.  Ditto for Nintendo consoles.
ど助平

mormapope

« Reply #214 on: September 25, 2020, 10:13:48 AM »

No, I understood your point. That's why I was being flippant.

"NO NOT LIKE THAT"/"IT'S A DIFFERENT CEO THOUGH!" doesn't mean there's no history. MS is MS, like Google is Google: If the company doesn't make them money off the bat (which Beth will) they'll drop them/mismanage them.

Instead of "Rare/Ensamble/etc. sends their regards," do you want me to say "Phantom Dust (which I'm a die-hard of) sends it's regards," instead?

"We're doing a remake!"
*MS/Phil mandates so much shit that changes from the original gameplay style and look*
"NO NOT LIKE THAT! FANS WILL HATE IT! *Cancels it*"

Again: :comeon

The concerns are way before Don Mattrick, dude. You know how I know you haven't touched any "MS Games Studio" PC titles from the 1990's?

All this post tells me is you're a very old and jaded person that has trust issues, stemming from a broken heart with how Microsoft has disappointed you.  :doge

I guess I have hope and I'm excited about what may happen for Xbox. All it really comes down to. Fear mongering over videogames isn't something I like doing.

OH!

Himu

« Reply #215 on: September 25, 2020, 10:15:51 AM »
Atlus has never made a game for Xbox besides that online MMO which was clearly an attempt to procure funding and little else. Meanwhile, they've putting games on Sony hardware as far  back as Persona 1 and Soul Hackers.

Atlus used to release games on everything, including the Virtual Boy- point being that they have supported most consoles going back to their original hardware releases, and that includes the Xbox, which got the exclusive release of Shin Megami Tensei: Nine.  They also published Touge R, but that was it, IIRC.  It makes sense that they didn't do anything else, since the Xbox was a major flop in Japan.  The MMORPG you're thinking of is Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine, which was a PC release.

They also released Catherine, Persona 4 Arena, and Persona 4 Ultimax for the Xbox 360, but like the Xbox, the 360 might as well not have existed over there.  I did always wonder why Atlus didn't at least release the other Persona games for the Microsoft consoles in North America and Europe, though.  Ditto for Nintendo consoles.

I forgot about those.

MS shutters every Japanese studio they work with.

You would have to be a fool for MS buying Sega and cheering it ain't a good look.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #216 on: September 25, 2020, 10:16:06 AM »
All this post tells me is you're a very old and jaded person that has trust issues, stemming from a broken heart with how Microsoft has disappointed you.  :doge

"IT'S WAS A DEBATE!!!!!!" defense, I see.

I guess I have hope and I'm excited about what may happen for Xbox. All it really comes down to. Fear mongering over videogames isn't something I like doing.

Like I said: You can be optimistic, there is nothing wrong with that. But to dismiss legit concerns (and PC players have a HUGE bone to pick with MS buying PC studios and fucking them up, learn your history X-box boy) is dumb.

Cindy is right, you're doing console warring because your favorite company bought a big studio, which is fucking dumb. We'll see in a few years if Beth is still "hot" or if MS fucks them up like every other company they have bought.

This ain't an own.

It wasn't an "own," it was pointing out that Atlus has published on X-box before.

(And I forgot about Catherine, which Bork pointed out)

mormapope

« Reply #217 on: September 25, 2020, 10:18:05 AM »

THAT MAN IS A CONSOLE FA.GGOT IN 2020 Y'ALL

Using that word even in this context is a bit fucked up.
OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #218 on: September 25, 2020, 10:21:20 AM »
BTW, Soul Hackers was a Sega Saturn game. 
 :birdman
They ported it to PS1 a few years after release when the Dreamcast had already been out.
ど助平

mormapope

« Reply #219 on: September 25, 2020, 10:22:52 AM »

Like I said: You can be optimistic, there is nothing wrong with that. But to dismiss legit concerns (and PC players have a HUGE bone to pick with MS buying PC studios and fucking them up, learn your history X-box boy) is dumb.

Cindy is right, you're doing console warring because your favorite company bought a big studio, which is fucking dumb. We'll see in a few years if Beth is still "hot" or if MS fucks them up like every other company they have bought.

This ain't an own.

It wasn't an "own," it was pointing out that Atlus has published on X-box before.

Listen, If we're getting into what's "fucking dumb" regarding videogame discussion on this board, using a hateful word because someone enjoys a plastic toy box more than other plastic toy boxes, that ranks at the tippy top of "fucking dumb".
OH!

Himu

« Reply #220 on: September 25, 2020, 10:23:10 AM »
BTW, Soul Hackers was a Sega Saturn game.  They ported it to PS1 a few years after release when the Dreamcast had already been out.
 :birdman

I'm well aware.

Saturn don't exist in the American gaming canon though. :heh
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #221 on: September 25, 2020, 10:24:27 AM »

This ain't an own.

Listen, If we're getting into what's "fucking dumb" regarding videogame discussion on this board, using a hateful word because someone enjoys a plastic toy box more than other plastic toy boxes, that ranks at the tippy top of "fucking dumb".

He's falling back on "using a hateful word" but he replied with nothing but fart emojis to my original posts.

The crack in the mask has begun.

:rejoice
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #222 on: September 25, 2020, 10:24:53 AM »
Again, the whole SEGA thing is dumb lol

MS aren't buying them.. if they were we'd be actually hearing about it as they are basically a publicly traded company.

This whole thread is dumb though!
:heh
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #223 on: September 25, 2020, 10:28:18 AM »
Again, the whole SEGA thing is dumb lol

MS aren't buying them.. if they were we'd be actually hearing about it as they are basically a publicly traded company.

I don't seriously think MS is going to buy Sega. The entire discussion hinges on me dunking on Mormapope's fanboyism for cheering the idea of a Sega buying by MS.

I know a console warrior when I see one and...

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #224 on: September 25, 2020, 10:30:39 AM »
Posting these two videos for my exit.

IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #225 on: September 25, 2020, 10:34:05 AM »
Here's some sounds to soothe that mental breakdown from Xbox fucking your favorite Nippon company in the mouth

OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #226 on: September 25, 2020, 10:37:31 AM »
If I could bet on it, I'd probably bet big on Xbox not existing at Microsoft in 10 years.

But in the mean time I have hope they shovel a ton of money at some talent, and I get some games for pennies  :win

I wonder if 10 years is long enough for consoles in general to be "dead" and replaced with streaming services?
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #227 on: September 25, 2020, 10:41:57 AM »
I think it is the future of video games, but it's going to be a long time before it happens.
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #228 on: September 25, 2020, 10:52:58 AM »
I dont get it, we already have a remake for MGS2 on PC and it works like a charm
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #229 on: September 25, 2020, 10:56:01 AM »
I dont get it, we already have a remake for MGS2 on PC and it works like a charm

It's re-release of the old, shitty port.  Also what do you mean by "remake?"
ど助平

mormapope

« Reply #230 on: September 25, 2020, 10:57:35 AM »
If I could bet on it, I'd probably bet big on Xbox not existing at Microsoft in 10 years.

Someone probably made this bet in 2003 and 2015.  :doge
OH!

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #231 on: September 25, 2020, 11:10:24 AM »
Weirdos
Margs

mormapope

« Reply #232 on: September 25, 2020, 11:31:07 AM »

Someone probably made this bet in 2003 and 2015.  :doge

Sure.   And they would have been almost right according to reports of shareholders unhappy with Xbox at some points.. when gamers thought Xbox was most successful lol

Right now they are selling everyone on cloud gaming and spending huge cash.... their plans appear long term, but if it's not obviously paying off in 5 years I bet talks would start internally.

There's a powerpoint somewhere with a 5 year target for Gamepass and xCloud... and if it doesn't come close to being met, and it might not.. they will be in trouble with management.  That's just how that shit works.

I feel the biggest question or hurdle right now is the risk vs reward of developing and manufacturing hardware. If Microsoft makes enough revenue from Game Pass to sustain the studios they harbor, it'll be a decision to make if it's more cost effective to cut hardware out completely.

I see three outcomes

1. Xbox software and Hardware
2. Xbox software
3. Xbox is sold off.

1 is if everything works in tangent. 2 is dependent on how successful xCloud is, Game Pass on different consoles vs. hardware manufacturing and development costs. 3 is if no targets are met.
OH!

mormapope

« Reply #233 on: September 25, 2020, 11:43:57 AM »
I mean look at this shit:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/xbox-boss-video-games-undergoing-same-transformation-as-tv-music-212121940.html

From yesterday.

The only reason Satya cares is because he thinks game streaming is going to take over like movie/music streaming did... and I REALLLLY hope they understand and have discussed that it was market forces that caused movie/music industry to be FORCED into adopting streaming... and there is no obvious market force of users demanding game streaming or behavior (like piracy for music/movies was) forcing them to give users a "convenient / cheap option."

And there's also so many other differences.. from the tech involved and it's costs, to the user experience and how it's impossible to be "cached", etc.

It feels like tech companies trying to wish something into existence.  Apple is making a killing off of mobile gaming without having to even make a single game and they want to be able to do the same thing but consoles don't sell well enough... so they think streaming can reach as many people as cell phones do without them having to manufacture them...

Good luck.

Fair points. And personally, Im hesitant to believe streaming WILL be the big thing to replace conventional gaming soon. I feel as much as game streaming is being pushed though, it's going to be a combination of everything working together that makes Xbox sustainable. If one pillar gets fucked up, there will be a collapse.

The only thing that's certain is Nintendo will outlive everyone and everything.
OH!

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #234 on: September 25, 2020, 12:41:16 PM »

It's re-release of the old, shitty port.  Also what do you mean by "remake?"

i meamt the pc version you can play with a DS4. Not at home atm but I think its a mod
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #235 on: September 25, 2020, 04:12:35 PM »
Xbox is Microsoft's play thing. As long as Microsoft does fine and they are doing very fine right now. Xbox will be safe.
But once Microsoft starts to get into trouble like they were around 2008/2009 you will see it directly impact the non-essential part of their business, which is Xbox.

Phil Spencer is the first head of Xbox who realized that it was never about the profit Xbox made or didn't, or if they became market leader or not or even if their games were any good. It was always about making Xbox essential to Microsoft's business and making it 'look good' and now that Nadella can go out there and tell everyone about the wonders of the cloud and that they just bought DOOM and Elder Scrolls he's very happy with Xbox and Phil will get a great bonus no matter how well Xbox Series S/X sell. Same with buying Minecraft, he just asked the boss: "Do you want to own the biggest thing in gaming right now?". He keeps dangling these shiny new things in front of his bosses so they forget about the things that aren't shiny anymore like 343i and Rare. Nadella however, to his credit realized that the half assed support Xbox got from his predecessors would never get it anywhere so he would either have to be 100% behind it or drop it.

Phil Spencer hasn't given Xbox as much as a boost as Peter Moore or even Don Mattrick did in terms of market share vs. the competition.
But he made it look better than they ever did in the eyes of his bosses and investors.
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #236 on: September 25, 2020, 04:35:02 PM »
Phil Spencer hasn't given Xbox as much as a boost as Peter Moore or even Don Mattrick did in terms of market share vs. the competition.

What

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #237 on: September 25, 2020, 05:45:54 PM »

But in the mean time I have hope they shovel a ton of money at some talent, and I get some games for pennies  :win

People have been saying this for years though. If the largest acquisition in video game history doesn’t prove they’re serious about it, then I don’t know what will.

Like, even a few years ago, someone trying to become “the Netflix of gaming” seemed laughable, but it seems like they’re legitimately on the right track for that now.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #238 on: September 25, 2020, 06:25:19 PM »

Peter Moore: 2003 - 2007
HALO 2, Xbox Live launch, Gears, Forza and Xbox 360

Installed Xbox as a household name in gaming, ended GTA exclusivity went toe to toe with PlayStation and won

Don Mattrick: 2007 - 2014
Kinect, Xbox Live growth and Xbox One

According to Wikipedia, while Mattrick was head of Xbox:
Xbox 360 installed base grew from 10 million to more than 76 million worldwide
Xbox LIVE membership increased from 6 million to over 48 million

Made Xbox market leader for a good while

Phil Spencer: 2014 - now
Xbox One X, GamePass, Xbox Series S|X, xCloud

Marginally increased Xbox LIVE membership from 48 million to 64 million
Bought over 6 new studios couldn't produce a single launch game
Gears, Crackdown and HALO down the tubes, Xbox One (X) a distant second to PlayStation 4 (Pro)
Gave up on Microsoft Store exclusivity and surrendered to Steam

So far Phil Spencer hasn't achieved as much as his predecessors in terms of sales and market share or even quality video games.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 06:30:24 PM by Nintex »
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #239 on: September 25, 2020, 08:14:45 PM »
That is a really dumb and narrowminded way of looking at things
What