Author Topic: Gamer narratives that make no sense  (Read 7512 times)

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Re: Gamer narratives that make no sense
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2021, 08:31:31 PM »
I don’t like AAA “experiences” so Sony’s first party lineup hasn’t been interesting in a long time.

It’s probably why this former hater of Nintendo has been Switch only for years: I really don’t care about AAA experiences and Microsoft’s annual or biennial iterations of Forza, Gears, Halo, etc. is boring as fuck.
🍆🍆

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2021, 06:29:25 AM »
I don’t like AAA “experiences” so Sony’s first party lineup hasn’t been interesting in a long time.

It’s probably why this former hater of Nintendo has been Switch only for years: I really don’t care about AAA experiences and Microsoft’s annual or biennial iterations of Forza, Gears, Halo, etc. is boring as fuck.

Thinking about this. I would love a Mushroom Kingdom DLC for one of the Forza Horizon games. The LEGO and Hot Wheels ones were really cool as well.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2021, 07:27:04 AM »
Honestly when some of you guy's talk about Sony, it really does come off as "it's not like how it was when I was a teen so it sucks". Like between retail, vr, and digital Sony has published a wide range of video games. Maybe not everything is to your liking, maybe none of it is. But I think it's untrue to say they haven't put out unique things during the PS4 gen.

Most of the games you listed are western-developed titles and even then, we got less variety on PS4.  What happened to Motorstorm or an FPS like Resistance?  It's like they just gave up after Killzone Shadowfall. 

We're mainly talking about the (quirky or unique) Japanese ones here and they clearly fell off with the PS3 and especially the PS4.  The unique titles and variety of genres they used to publish are gone, whether good or bad- I mean, Pipo Saru 2001 wasn't a masterpiece, but I miss the days when any kind of crazy thing would come out.  Don't forget the PSP and Vita, too. (Sony certainly did! :rimshot)

Yeah, you can say and it's probably true that Sony of today wouldn't publish Ape Escape. Would Japan even make Ape Escape today?

No, because they don't seem to be making much at all these days.
 :goty2
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 07:32:45 AM by bork »
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2021, 11:50:27 PM »
i don't see why sony wouldn't publish a game like ape escape now lol. is astro bot not in a similar vein? is demon's souls a safe bet now? psvr was a gamble also, the fisher price headset of vr headsets but goddamn those crazy bastards actually did it. m$ on the other hand has a whole vr ecosystem they pushed without a single mention of xbox support.

can't deny they make a lot of third person cinematic experiences. at least they're all pretty damn good.

I think the observation is that Sony created interesting, weird games, but now they're reliant on 3rd party development to carry the platform. PS VR is also a product of Sony hardware, a different division than the software development. Apparently they don't get along well. And Sony's always anxious to ship new appliance-style electronics that change the consumer landscape. They're always going to hope to get another Walkman on the market, disrupt everything, and lead the way.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2021, 03:14:37 AM »
I'm obviously not trying to argue against your taste. Nor do I think you're wrong about Sony not publishing those quirky titles. What I am arguing though is that despite the changes in the times and the industry, they still publish plenty of games beyond the "cinematic open-world whatever" narrative.

But I also do actually believe that in terms of Japanese games, I was much more satisfied with Japanese console output during the PS4 gen.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2021, 04:13:44 AM »
Remember when people were arguing that home consoles were on the way out in favor of mobile gaming?

that was more of a game/tech press/analyst/bizfolk narrative tho?
QED

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2021, 09:21:26 AM »
Remember when people were arguing that home consoles were on the way out in favor of mobile gaming?

Never forget Segata...
^_^

Tasty

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2021, 10:12:23 AM »

Never forget Segata...

RIP :'(

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2021, 02:11:41 PM »
Another one:

You need to spend hours on end grinding in every RPG to beat them.
^_^

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2021, 03:28:54 PM »
i don't see why sony wouldn't publish a game like ape escape now lol. is astro bot not in a similar vein? is demon's souls a safe bet now? psvr was a gamble also, the fisher price headset of vr headsets but goddamn those crazy bastards actually did it. m$ on the other hand has a whole vr ecosystem they pushed without a single mention of xbox support.

can't deny they make a lot of third person cinematic experiences. at least they're all pretty damn good.
Yes? After 10 years of FROM worship, a relatively inexpensive remake to DeS is a very safe bet.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2021, 03:53:52 PM »

I think the observation is that Sony created interesting, weird games, but now they're reliant on 3rd party development to carry the platform. PS VR is also a product of Sony hardware, a different division than the software development. Apparently they don't get along well. And Sony's always anxious to ship new appliance-style electronics that change the consumer landscape. They're always going to hope to get another Walkman on the market, disrupt everything, and lead the way.

Growing up I always felt that was the case in the west all the way during the first two Playstations. Like off the top of my head any western release that was big and published by Sony for the PS1 and PS2 was Gran Turismo. Literally everything else I can't think of (Team Ico. Ok. God of War too). Twisted Metal is Sony right? They had their sports division during those 2 consoles, but they always seemed to be the lowest rated games.
But yeah the impression I got as a youngster was "Nintendo = their games mostly (which became more true post SNES), Xbox = Master Chief, Playstation = Alllllllllllllllll the third party Japanese games and even mooooooooooooore third party Japanese games, and then eeeeeeeven moooooooore third party Japanese games."

It wasn't until Playstation 3 that I started to view Sony as a bigger first party developer (regardless of ones opinions on those games). And to be fair, if someone wants to bring out a chart showing that the amount of AAA first party Sony developed titles released outside of Japan during PS1 and PS2 is actually about on par with the PS3 and PS4 then cool.

It's more just my perception from the PS1 and PS2 era. I mean you  would have thought Crash Bandicoot was a Sony franchise back then even though it wasn't. Almost the same with Metal Gear, same with Tekken, same with Silent Hill. It's why the 360 generation felt so strange when "what what what Devil May Cry 4 is gonna be on 360? FF13 will be on 360?" Of course there was obvious business sense to that, but your mind almost associated that those are simply "Playstation" brands almost.

Ironically the Xbone was so damn third party reliant, but Microsoft was and still is kind of working on the whole "service beyond everything else" as far as the Xbox ecosystem is concerned. They just happened to reload on developers now and even bought Bethesda. Though you wonder how much will be shared with other platforms. Maybe not day 1, but perhaps a year later or whatever. Really interesting how Microsoft is going about their game distribution.

Himu

« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2021, 12:32:27 PM »

PS VR is also a product of Sony hardware, a different division than the software development. Apparently they don't get along well.

Source?
IYKYK

Tuckers Law

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2021, 01:42:12 PM »
I can’t recall from where I read it, but the thing about some manner of strife between Sony hardware and other divisions is ringing a bell to me, specifically one of the higher ups in the hardware is kind of an ass.  I’ll see if I can track something down.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2021, 02:29:13 PM »
Another one:

I think completionists help create this narrative. Take something like FFX or even Souls games. FFX is around 30-40 hours to beat, but over 100 hours to 100%. Some Souls games have very rare item or equipment drops that require people to kill the same mobs over and over again.

Game length in general has grown exponentially. I'm probably around 75%-80% done with Super Mario Odyssey and I've put 50 hours into it. A 3D platformer taking over 15 hours to 100% wasn't a thing Ain any generation.

OH!

Himu

« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2021, 03:05:19 PM »
Another one:

I think completionists help create this narrative. Take something like FFX or even Souls games. FFX is around 30-40 hours to beat, but over 100 hours to 100%. Some Souls games have very rare item or equipment drops that require people to kill the same mobs over and over again.

Game length in general has grown exponentially. I'm probably around 75%-80% done with Super Mario Odyssey and I've put 50 hours into it. A 3D platformer taking over 15 hours to 100% wasn't a thing Ain any generation.

It's not really completionists. Go to a gfaqs guide for an rpg and I guarantee they'll be 10-15 levels above me. The idea is that people, rather than learning to play rpgs (particularly jrpgs) they instead grind and think grinding is the required/optimal method of play.
IYKYK

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2021, 05:21:20 PM »
Me: This RPG is hard (on the difficulty I selected). I think I'm going to have to start grinding to get past the next stage.

Also me: I must never use any of my healing items and such because I might need them later. Oh the game is over and I never used them.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
not literally, but you know what I'm getting at. The amount of items I have left over really should have been used much more than I use them
[close]

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2021, 07:17:17 PM »
Another one:

It's not really completionists. Go to a gfaqs guide for an rpg and I guarantee they'll be 10-15 levels above me. The idea is that people, rather than learning to play rpgs (particularly jrpgs) they instead grind and think grinding is the required/optimal method of play.

I have a friend who's been playing RPGs since FF4 and DQ4, who still will only fight and heal... never bothers to use buff/debuff spells or do any sort of gaming the system.
^_^

Himu

« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2021, 07:18:44 PM »
Me: This RPG is hard (on the difficulty I selected). I think I'm going to have to start grinding to get past the next stage.

Also me: I must never use any of my healing items and such because I might need them later. Oh the game is over and I never used them.

not literally, but you know what I'm getting at. The amount of items I have left over really should have been used much more than I use them
[close]

Pertinent commentary:

https://twitter.com/ShaunMusgrave/status/1354577567097917440

Also

https://twitter.com/ShaunMusgrave/status/1354575428929736708
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 10:16:10 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2021, 07:22:39 PM »
Another one:

I have a friend who's been playing RPGs since FF4 and DQ4, who still will only fight and heal... never bothers to use buff/debuff spells or do any sort of gaming the system.

they need prayer
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2021, 08:48:36 PM »
I'm obviously not trying to argue against your taste. Nor do I think you're wrong about Sony not publishing those quirky titles. What I am arguing though is that despite the changes in the times and the industry, they still publish plenty of games beyond the "cinematic open-world whatever" narrative.

But I also do actually believe that in terms of Japanese games, I was much more satisfied with Japanese console output during the PS4 gen.

From Sony or in general?  If you mean the former, I don't see how you'd be that satisfied compared to previous generations.
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2021, 05:48:30 AM »
Because to be honest, I don't care about "quirky" titles. I'm sure something like Tokyo Jungle is a good game for people who vibe with that, but that's not me.

I mean I look at my PS3 library and the Sony published Japanese titles are Folklore, Puppeteer, and well...Genji. Genji is straight-up bad in my opinion. The other two are ok games, nothing really that lit my fire.

Compare this to the PS4 and I have The Last Guardian, Death Stranding, Gravity Rush 2, Astro Bot, and  Bloodborne. TLG honestly being the weakest with Astro being one of the best platformers vr or not. Death Stranding being my kind of a big interesting mess of a game. Bloodborne and GR2 are up there with some of my favorite games of that gen.

Honestly, for me, it's not really a contest.

I'm sure PS2 and PS1 were full of nifty Sony published titles as well, but like most people I know you bought a PlayStation for things like GTA, FF, MGS, and so on. Maybe some people liked Wild Arms, but it hardly came close to what 3rd parties published.

Honestly, it's my narrative that Sony first-party didn't come into its own until 2nd half of the PS3. That the PS3 gen was a rather dark time for Japanese games and the PS4 gen a sort of revival.

Now obviously I have my bias as I like the big cinematic games. I've grown up on story-focused games like MGS2 and FFX. So that's where I come from.

But when I think of this Japanese PS3 era vs PS4 era. I also have to give it to the PS4 era.

Sure I liked stuff like Vanquish, Bayonetta and Platnium in general. I loved Grasshoper 's output and find their absence pretty sad. Yakuza 4 was a great game and the series was strong. Things like Valkyria Chronicles were awesome. Namco still had stuff. And also some of the early 360 support was good to me if we count that.

But I look at my jrpgs of that time and it was pretty lame honestly. I sure did'nt care for White Knight Chronicles(Ok I forgot about this Sony game). Ni No Kuni was lame and well I just dislike Level 5.  I said Namco kept trucking and they did, but outside of Vesperia I have found Tales to all just blur together in medicorecity.

But I compare this to my PS4 days and well it's a different story. Persona 5 came out(on PS3 as well, but I played it on PS4). We had one of the most beautiful jrpgs not called FF, with DQXI. Finally another Valkyria Chronicles the way people wanted with 4.  You got better jrpg stuff like Nier: Automata, The DQ Heroes games, The Mana Remakes, Kingdom Hearts 3, Blue Reflection, and so on. Falcom jumped ship to home consoles and has offered plenty of things I'm into.  I won't say they are great JRPGS, but I'll tke things like Fairy Tale, these Ryzna games, Exist Archeive, Star OCean 5(eww), and so on over the Idea Factory stuff that seemed like you had to deal with after you finished the other console PS3 jrpgs. You gotta dig deep on the PS4 before you have only those left.  Also things like Vesperia and Resonance of Fate got great ports. Hell, something like .Hack//GU port did'nt seem like it was possible on the PS3.

Capcom was great PS3 gen. I'd say they are better now. A shame Lost Planet and Dead Rising died, but Resident Evil has lived.

I miss Ninja Gaiden kind of, but hey Ni-Oh is here and Dead or Alive kept kicking somewhat.

Perv games seem strong on PS4 as well. Senran Kagura is pretty ok and there's other shlock out there like Onechanbara Origins.

A series like Yakuza only continued to get better if you ask me. And Sega at least tried a new Sakura Wars. I liked it. I also tried Sega's jrpg offerings from Media Vision. Not so good, but again I'll play them over say Time and Eternity.

I've had nifty Japanese games like Sakuna:Rice and Ruin and one of my absolute recent favorites, 13 Sentinals. Seen more and more visual novels become more ambitious and actually come out here. Something like Stein's Gate was a small print run release on PS3. Now Robotics Note is on clearance at your local Best Buy where they may have a copy of Ai the Somnium Files.   I got a new Ace Combat which makes me pretty happy.

As far as my taste are concerned, it was a far better gen. Now obviously these aren't exclusive, but if we also include the offerings on the Switch well....I feel it's been the best time to be a Japanese game fan, at least since the PS2.

At the end of the day, I feel I've enjoyed more and played more quality Japanese games on the PS4 than I did the PS3. So my narrative is I think the PS4 was a way better system.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 05:54:15 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2021, 10:36:03 AM »
If you don't like quirky titles that's fine but the brunt of our discussion are unique gaming experiences which Sony regularly contributed to, either by directly developing or by publishing.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2021, 11:53:11 AM »
Sony's transition to the "Daddy adventure" genre was in the second half of the ps4's life cycle, their unique games like TLG and GR2 were mostly before then.
We'll see what they do with PS5 though.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2021, 01:03:26 PM »
If you don't like quirky titles that's fine but the brunt of our discussion is unique gaming experiences that Sony regularly contributed to, either by directly developing or by publishing.
And I’ve also argued that given today’s climate they still do that. As much if not more than the others.

There’s more to unique gaming than “quirky” Japanese titles. You guys with your tastes are simply not interested. But they publish more than sad dad games. In fact, that’s just one game.

So if you want to argue aginst false narratives:

Sony's transition to the "Daddy adventure" genre was in the second half of the ps4's life cycle, their unique games like TLG and GR2 were mostly before then.
We'll see what they do with PS5 though.
Argue against this one.

Because I don't think publishing one game with a dad means you have transitioned to doing only that. And in this 2nd half that featured God of War, you still had unique and not sad dad adventure games such as Déraciné, Astro Bot, Firewall, Dreams, Death Stranding, Blood and Truth, and (I'm going to count it) Ghost of Tsushima.

My argument has been given the current climate of gaming that:

Games take longer to make.
Cost more.
There are fewer releases in general.
Japanese gaming is different in general.

That Sony still publishes a variety of games. Maybe not to your taste, but I think saying it's all sad dad, open world, cinematic whatever is wrong.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 01:25:44 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2021, 01:28:33 PM »
Maybe you're right. I pay far less attention (which is almost zero) to games industry in general these days so this could all be up my ass.

idk, i've fallen out of love with games so maybe you're right.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 01:41:26 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2021, 01:43:38 PM »
At the end of the day, I feel I've enjoyed more and played more quality Japanese games on the PS4 than I did the PS3. So my narrative is I think the PS4 was a way better system.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you said, but you kind of went off the subject here which is on Sony's own output, and that's where I still don't agree with you.  The PS4 is my least favorite Sony console and I was very disappointed with their output.  Plenty of good third-party titles, sure- but most of those games are on other platforms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Studio#Project_Siren

This Wikipedia article shows all the games they either developed or co-developed.  There is a significant drop-off after Sony the PS4 came out and Sony ditched the Vita.

Removing remastered PSP and PS2 ports, this is what we got in the last seven years on PS4:

PS4:

Knack
Bloodborne (made by From)
The Tomorrow Children (Discontinued)
The Last Guardian
Everybody's Golf
Knack II
Gravity Rush 2

PSVR:

No Heroes Allowed! VR (made by Acquire)
Déraciné (Made by From)
Everybody's Golf VR
Astro Bot Rescue Mission

They don't list Death Stranding and I'm assuming it's not on there because it's Kojima's game and it was also published on PC by 505 games.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 02:15:01 PM by bork »
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2021, 07:02:38 PM »
My only real argument against what you are saying is that if you looked out the output of any Japanese game developer/publisher, no any developer you'll probably see a similar decrease in the number of titles compared to previous gens. To which I haven't argued that there are fewer Japanese titles from Sony. I see this as the reality of HD game development.

But for my personal preference, I'm much happier with things like Gravity Rush 2, TLG, Astro Bot, and Bloodborne than I was with the output on the PS3 regardless if there were more titles.

In the end what I'm saying is: I've enjoyed what's come out. I think there are logical conditions for why things are the way they are, but I don't think it's really bad at all. And I think it's overblown to say Sony just publishes one type of game. I'd even argue against saying their marque games are one type of game.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 09:04:28 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2021, 07:56:41 PM »
I would say ditching the VITA and not announcing a new handheld hurt Sony's Japanese prospects more than everything else.
You can tell that Hermen Hulst is running PlayStation Studios now. They're delivering what the EU/US markets want.

I guess Sony counts on the fact that their Japanese third party support remains strong, which is not unreasonable considering how Microsoft shit the bed and Nintendo sorta has their own lane which has limiting factors for third party publishers.
Still, Nintendo has made inroads with direct collaborations with Koei Tecmo, Namco Bandai and the likes but unless they change their hardware philosophy there will always be a signficant chunk of AAA+ releases that skip their systems in favor of PlayStation.
Never say never though, a decade ago Nintendo had a much different approach to censorship and licensing.

Outside of more studios being bought by the big tech players, I don't see a lot of change in the forseeable future. It seems like the deck is set for the next few years. Nintendo will release an upgraded system that somewhat does 4K but won't ditch their existing Switch userbase unless they absolutely have to. They're probably aiming for hardware that can run most Xbox One games with some cuts, increasing their third party port range. Software wise it'll be sequels to their best selling Switch games (Zelda, Mario, Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, Xenoblade 3 etc.). Microsoft will keep their focus on GamePass and increasing their first party stable, it is very likely they will look at buying Japanese studios or publishers soon with SEGA being a prime target (because SEGA's backlog would also be a nice boost for GamePass). Sony will keep pounding Xbox in Europe and the US so PlayStation remains the top dog in the console space. Once they are comfortable enough that battle is won they will have more wiggle room to focus on Japan again probably with an upgraded and smaller PlayStation 5 model. Because of COVID and insane GPU demand this generation will start quite slow anyway. Lots of games moved from 2021 into 2022 and beyond.
🤴

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2021, 12:44:14 AM »
I know this post isn't adding too much thought or perspective, but:

The Vita as a whole was very strange to me. Essentially pointless now in a post-Switch world, but the Vita was before that and Sony supported that thing very bizarrely. A launch with first party support and then almost immediately losing interest even though it wasn't a failure by any stretch. I'm sure there are probably even posters here who have fond memories of their Vita being an excellent on the go indie machine and anime blob player Japanese non-AAA game player. But as far as Sony trying to push it as a mainstream handheld that had nice graphics, that seemed to halt almost immediately.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2021, 12:57:41 AM »
I also liked their overall PS4 output, but i think you're misinterpreting the point being made a bit, because the claim, memes aside, isn't that Sony is now only producing Dad games, but that during the PS4 life cycle they shifted from producing a large variety of titles, to less and less titles, each bigger in production but also similar is style and tone.
That doesn't mean they were to abandon completely titles that started development years ago (like Dreams) or on Ps3 (like TLG) but that the offered variety decreased through the generation.

And the recent middle finger to the Japan Sutio staff, along with the unification of the Playstation studios (and the general Americanizaion of the whole company) is seen as another sign of that shift.

The fact that games are costlier and slower to make is because the production values ambitions have gone up, but that's mostly the point being made: Instead of 2 medium title, you'd rather have 1 big one, and since you only have 1 shot, you'd rather it be of a formula you KNOW will be critically and commercially successful.

I don't blame them though, generally people who want these quirky games, either don't buy them or are a disproportionally loud minority.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2021, 11:20:44 PM »
Aw this fuckin sucks

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2021, 11:56:01 PM »
 :goty
ど助平

El Babua

« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2021, 12:57:37 AM »
Sony Japan never got a major project on the scale of any western dev since the PS3 days.

I wonder why Sony never gave them the chance? Or were staff so tied up in The Last Guardian debacle and they were never able to build the same momentum as other Sony first party studios.

Asobi Team somehow survived and I pray they get the same budget for their next project that Sony would give their big western devs.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2021, 01:08:45 AM »
Well I guess I was wrong.

I don't know. I have a bad feeling about this gen.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2021, 03:59:21 AM »
Hermen Hulst needed the weeb budget for a new AAAA Killzone project :trumps
🤴

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2021, 05:21:35 AM »
:no1curr

They barely made games, and what they made didn’t sell to neither a domestic or international audience.

Japan has no shortage of excellent third-party developers that makes games on PlayStation.

The glorious nippon pride from online weebs who weren’t buying the studio’s games anyways (otherwise they’d still be in fucking business) is so cringe  :lol
Margs

Himu

« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2021, 08:09:58 AM »

They barely made games, and what they made didn’t sell to neither a domestic or international audience.

Japan has no shortage of excellent third-party developers that makes games on PlayStation.

The glorious nippon pride from online weebs who weren’t buying the studio’s games anyways (otherwise they’d still be in fucking business) is so cringe  :lol

Ah yes, no one curr despite the fact the entire start of this discussion was the change in sony's priorities. Fuck off furry.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2021, 08:25:53 AM »

ど助平

BIONIC

« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2021, 08:30:37 AM »

Ah yes, no one curr despite the fact the entire start of this discussion was the change in sony's priorities. Fuck off furry.

Shouldn’t you be screeching more on your ree alt about how games are déclassé you dumb autisty cunt  :lol
Margs

Himu

« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2021, 08:55:14 AM »
You mad, furry? Don't let the bullet hit you.
IYKYK

BIONIC

« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2021, 09:04:41 AM »
Yes, I’m fuming. I’ll go jerk it to my pony plushie to relieve some stress.
Margs

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2021, 09:47:17 AM »
ど助平

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #103 on: February 26, 2021, 10:58:35 AM »
I like it when a beef misses out the early escalation and just goes straight for the personal shots :lol :lol :lol
(ice)

BIONIC

« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2021, 11:09:32 AM »
There’s no beef like a riotous beef  :goty

In more ways than one  :rodney  :drool
[close]
Margs

Tasty

« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2021, 11:20:59 AM »
Like I said.

Old Sony is dead.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2021/02/25/report-playstation-phasing-out-sony-japan-studio-ape-escape-gravity-rush-knack/

Shouldn’t you be screeching more on your ree alt about how games are déclassé you dumb autisty cunt  :lol

Tasty

« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2021, 11:24:57 AM »
You mad, furry? Don't let the bullet hit you.

Yes, I’m fuming. I’ll go jerk it to my pony plushie to relieve some stress.

I can't believe Sony Japan's gone. I can't believe you're going. I can't believe this family must die. :(

Sony helped us believe in love... I can't believe you disagree...

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2021, 12:13:49 PM »
Look at the chaos and destruction Sony has caused in this thread.  :'(

FUCK U JIM RYAN
:rage
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2021, 12:20:13 PM »
Bionic and been hating each other
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2021, 12:34:13 PM »
The videogame landscape is looking very interesting.

Nintendo: Strongest they've ever been and aren't slowing down in regards to hype for ANY Nintendo franchise or more niche Japanese games in general.

Microsoft: Game Pass plus numerous acquisitions, meaning big and smaller games have a platform to reach many people. There's appeal for any type of game for that service.

Sony: Incredibly hungry with propping up specific IPs for mass appeal, while also trying to be the main console for big AAA Western and Japanese releases.

It's interesting how time has went on, Playstation has become the most mainstream and less experimental platform.
OH!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2021, 01:23:10 PM »
But PlayStation has always been the mainstream console with AAA games.

I don’t know seems a bit bias. I don’t see what’s so experimental going on the Switch or Xbox. Nintendo just seems to be playing it safe and boring. I don’t even know what MS is doing. Sony is just continuing what they’ve been doing.

Seems pretty boring to me.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2021, 02:22:15 PM »
Maybe sony will use whatever money they'd have budgeted Japan studio on money hatting some hot exclusives, but it seems more like they're tripling down on dadwank, which I can't stand btw, and has left me with the least amount of interest I've ever had in a.PlayStation console :trumps
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2021, 02:54:58 PM »
The videogame landscape is looking very interesting.

Nintendo: Strongest they've ever been and aren't slowing down in regards to hype for ANY Nintendo franchise or more niche Japanese games in general.

Microsoft: Game Pass plus numerous acquisitions, meaning big and smaller games have a platform to reach many people. There's appeal for any type of game for that service.

Sony: Incredibly hungry with propping up specific IPs for mass appeal, while also trying to be the main console for big AAA Western and Japanese releases.

It's interesting how time has went on, Playstation has become the most mainstream and less experimental platform.

Bad take on sony. Sony has always been mainstream. But they're also the company that went with unsafe bets. They took FF from Nintendo and dumped tons of money marketing FFVII. Millions. This might not be a big of a deal now but at the time RPG was a mostly dead genre outside of japan besides in specific locations and especially on consoles. RPGs were niche and Sony was like, fuck thar. Let's make it mainstream. Huuuuge risk. Even Diablo had to be begged to be created and that was the state of the computer rpg environment. Given FFVI (by Square's standards) bombed in the US, Sony and Square's marketing for FFVII was unparalleled in terms of sheer investment and risk.

Sony is no longer a risk company anymore. At one point they balanced risk with mainstream.

Now they're ran by businessmen. It's not that they're the most mainstream. They've always been mainstream. Ps2 was the definition of mainstream. For them it's now about money and pushing numbers. Why risk? There's plenty of money to be made in japan but sony doesn't want it. The american Sony thinks it's beneath them while nintendo makes that bread. Sony could easily try to invest in japan the way they one time invested in America and europe. But they won't. Because they moved from japan to cali. Now they're interested in what works only. They aren't interested in their legacy. They aren't interested in risk. They're interested in business only.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 03:13:13 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2021, 03:15:04 PM »
Maybe sony will use whatever money they'd have budgeted Japan studio on money hatting some hot exclusives, but it seems more like they're tripling down on dadwank, which I can't stand btw, and has left me with the least amount of interest I've ever had in a.PlayStation console :trumps
That or Killzone Vengeance :trumps
🤴

mormapope

« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2021, 03:18:11 PM »
I mean, once you pay Activision to have Playstation advertised as the platform to play CoD on, spend money on making DLC for Avengers exclusive to Playstation (the DLC being the most popular Marvel character of all time), invest money and buy a studio so they can churn out more Spiderman games (Insomniac), and double down on IPs that sold in the tens of millions rather than the entire catalog as a whole, that's chasing mainstream appeal very heavily.

Sony fell into mainstream in the past. Now, they're chasing that appeal with every move they make.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2021, 03:42:00 PM »
I like to describe the three companies thusly:

Nintendo - Historically more interested in their legacy and brand. This makes them traditionally the most conservative of the three. At the same time, they've always had experimentation periods where they lead the industry, but they're often pushed into that corner. Sometimes this makes them more experimental than they need to be (wii, virtual boy). This experimentation can be a detriment where the gimmick alone is enough to sell. After they experiment and find a successful formula they coast.

Microsoft - unlike Nintendo they're not interested in pushing the industry or new ideas. They're more business like. Microsoft has no need to rely on experimentation because the company can survive without xbox. Nintendo and Sony can't. Their companies highly rely on their video game business, and ncreasingly, in Sony's case, they're no longer an industry leader in anything besides Vidya). If MS wants something new, they can buy it. Simple as.

Sony - the middle option between Microsoft rigidity and Nintendo experimentation. The company that one point pushed for games like Loco Roco and stuff like Killzone at the same time. They struck a balance and that was their bread and butter. As the company of Sony increasingly relies on Playstation to even exist you see less of one game type and more of another.

Why invest in new game ideas if third party will do that for us? Sony is relying on them doing that but a big reason they ever got such big third-party support to begin with was their earlier balance of embracing mainstream games with new ideas because unlike Nintendo they started from scratch. Nintendo had been making arcade games for years before the NES and had the capital and legacy behind it. Sony had to reach out because they were newcomers. Sony is acting like their third-party support will always be there. They are arrogant.

Now would be a really, really good time for a new Sega console. Take Sony's lunch.

Also lol at any Sony "fan" not caring about this news.

https://twitter.com/ShaunMusgrave/status/1365115105847906305

https://twitter.com/ShaunMusgrave/status/1365107744995307521

https://twitter.com/ShaunMusgrave/status/1365108108347858945

« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 03:48:44 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2021, 03:50:58 PM »
Investing in AAA single player games is a risk....

It’s so risky the industry spent the later half of the 360 gen saying it was dead.  Multiplayer, gass, br, mobile. That’s supposed to be the future. Again I get some of you don’t like these games but AAA single player games and commuting to VR is not some safe path. It’s a formula now, that they are in danger of getting caught in.

Himu

« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2021, 03:54:58 PM »

Agreed. If not for Demons Souls and some japanese exclusives it would be the first PS I skip. Unfortunately the fgc has decided it will be the next fighting game system.
IYKYK

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2021, 04:01:14 PM »
I don’t think fans care about this because Japan Studio hasn’t made anything of value during the PS4 generation. The big hits are either ports or most of the work was done by another team (bloodborne). The games they developed on their own were Knack 1 & 2 (lol) and last guardian (utter dogshit).

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2021, 04:08:42 PM »
Wait, Jim Ryan was the guy who axed Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool?  :punch :punch :punch
^_^