Author Topic: I think 3D Sonic is better than 2D Sonic these days. Hear me out.  (Read 3648 times)

Himu

I think 3D Sonic is better than 2D Sonic these days. Hear me out.
« on: September 08, 2021, 02:50:28 PM »
So like, I've been traditionally anti-3D Sonic but turned around a few years back when I replayed Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 back to back. Unfortunately as an older Sonic fan for some reason I just can't seem to enjoy 2D Sonic anymore. I will play the games from the childhood like 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles and just shrug. I find them really boring now. The other day I tried to play Sonic 2 and was really bored. I stopped at Oil Ocean. This feels really bad as that game was my favorite game as a kid and I can no longer enjoy it.

Still in a Sonic mood I installed Adventure 1 and I think I know why I think 3D Sonic is more fun to me now.

I think this video is a great example.

3D Sonic often allows more options. Take Chemical Plant Zone. It has a few branches but it's extremely linear and a lot of the time you're just watching cutscenes of Sonic spinning in a tube. But 3D Sonic? Even if you're on a loop you can jump mid-way and jump onto another platform. It lends to a more laizzes faire approach to platforming where the entire level is your playground. It's fun as shit.

So many routes, all viable, and most of them are up to your own creativity.

Here's more.

3D Sonic, when done right, is just far more fun to play to me.

3D Sonic requires far more skill, mastery, and has more options. Then there's variety of levels. You've got Sonic levels, exploration based Knuckles levels. It's the full package. Even in comparison to its peers, classic Sonic games of the Genesis era were lacking in terms of content. Compare Sonic 1-3k with Mario World. It takes putting 3 and Knuckles together to compare with Mario World and even then it's still not in the same ball park. There's no Special Zone. There's no map with hidden levels. There's no puzzle solving to unlocking said levels.

3D Sonic tho.

Sonic Adventure has multiple missions within levels which adds to replay value too. It's just a more complete package.

:delicious
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 03:00:25 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: I think 3D Sonic is better than 2D Sonic these days. Hear me out.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 03:31:39 PM »
sonic adventure on dreamcast was incredible  :lawd just too short if anything :yeshrug

the textures were so good after saturn/ps/64

Tuckers Law

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 03:48:15 PM »
2d or 3d, Sanic just isn’t for me, I much more prefer the Mario style of platforming.  The genesis Sanics had some damn good soundtracks, though.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 03:50:33 PM »
I've never really been a fan of the 3D Sonic games tbh, something always felt a bit off about them - the auto-targeting of enemies not working, the ease of clipping through the environment and dying, camera not keeping up with the speed... SA1 and 2 were nice showpieces for the DC hardware and have some killer music, but the rest (excepting Generations, which is a 2.5D/3D split) were either boring (Heroes, the Werewolf one) or complete unplayable garbage (2006).

I've been on a slight 8-bit Sonic kick lately, wondering if you ever tried these out, Cindi -

I purchased 2 and Chaos for the Master System and was playing them recently. 2 I don't like too much - too many gimmicky levels, the underwater level is sooooo sluggish that it's almost painful to go through, and some level designs suffer from blind jumps (the Green Hill Zone act 3 is maddening). It's certainly more playable than the Game Gear Sonic 2 more Americans are familiar with due to the increased screen real estate.

Chaos is a pretty easy game, with less interesting level designs than most of the other Sonics, and lots of slowdown. Graphics are nice, music is pretty good (especially the final boss theme which sounds like oldskool British rave)

The original Sonic for SMS is supposedly the best, I haven't played it but the Koshiro soundtrack fuckin slaps.
^_^

Tuckers Law

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 03:58:42 PM »
I had Sonic 2 on game gear, could never beat it (Fuck that final boss fight).  It was only recently that I found out Koshiro did the SMS sonic 1 soundtrack, it still surprises me.

Himu

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 04:04:51 PM »
2d or 3d, Sanic just isn’t for me, I much more prefer the Mario style of platforming.  The genesis Sanics had some damn good soundtracks, though.

Sonic music is the only thing we all agree upon :lawd
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 04:13:40 PM »
Sonic 2 was the peak of the 2D Sanix for me.  The jump to 3D with Adventure was awesome (and necessary)... But it also peaked with Adventure 2, imo.  Haven't cared for anything Sanic after that..  :yeshrug

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 04:27:19 PM »
Sonic Adventure 2 was my jam. Enjoyed other 3D Sonics as well.

With that said, every 3D Sonic is broken as fuck but that is also part of the enjoyable jank.
🤴

Himu

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 04:44:30 PM »
Yeah that's a huge negative with 3d sonic: the jank.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 04:48:33 PM »
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2021, 04:56:34 PM »
these strats :titus

why does the music remind me of puppet master  :thinking

Himu

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2021, 05:04:25 PM »
I've never really been a fan of the 3D Sonic games tbh, something always felt a bit off about them - the auto-targeting of enemies not working, the ease of clipping through the environment and dying, camera not keeping up with the speed... SA1 and 2 were nice showpieces for the DC hardware and have some killer music, but the rest (excepting Generations, which is a 2.5D/3D split) were either boring (Heroes, the Werewolf one) or complete unplayable garbage (2006).

I've been on a slight 8-bit Sonic kick lately, wondering if you ever tried these out, Cindi -

I purchased 2 and Chaos for the Master System and was playing them recently. 2 I don't like too much - too many gimmicky levels, the underwater level is sooooo sluggish that it's almost painful to go through, and some level designs suffer from blind jumps (the Green Hill Zone act 3 is maddening). It's certainly more playable than the Game Gear Sonic 2 more Americans are familiar with due to the increased screen real estate.

Chaos is a pretty easy game, with less interesting level designs than most of the other Sonics, and lots of slowdown. Graphics are nice, music is pretty good (especially the final boss theme which sounds like oldskool British rave)

The original Sonic for SMS is supposedly the best, I haven't played it but the Koshiro soundtrack fuckin slaps.

I admit the idea of 8 bit sonic disgusts me after my pain of playing of game gear sonic as a kid
IYKYK

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2021, 07:14:07 PM »
Rolling through the levels has always been a thrill, I can't imagine what my childhood would have been like without Sonic
around in my life. To think it has really been 30 years since the little blue guy first came to the Genesis/Mega Drive
at a time when Nintendo ruled the console market. Could anyone really have foreseen the rise of a mascot capable of rivaling
the king of the mountain in Super Mario? But Sonic had and ace up his sleeve; he wasn't just brightly color but he had greasy fast
Speed! Thanks to the power of blast processing, Sonic the Hedgehog would burst through his levels at a breakneck pace which made Mario look full
of molasse by comparison. Lets not forget the excellent music. I'll never forget some of the fantastic songs which were really enhanced by the
sound chip Yamaha YM2612 found in the Genesis. But the point of this thread is 3D vs 2D and in that regard I have to say I
got nostalgia for both versions. Sure, Sonic 2 was my first and it's impossible to ignore I have rose-colored glasses for that game, but the
places the 3D games would go were so full of imagination and awe. Who could forget Pumpkin Hill or the beautiful vistas on the way
to Death Chamber. Was the overworld good or interesting? No. Was there a lot of aimless running around in Adventure 1? Yes. We just want to
go fast and the overworld was mostly bloat with excessive amounts of not going fast. So in that respect, 2D is superior in the   
gotta go fast department.
Follow your heart and I think the truth is, 2D was a bit better overall due to simpler mechanics and more straightforward goals, at least for   
My subjective gaming tastes. So really, there is no true winner but I will say nothing comes close to the utter brilliance of
Rainbow road in Mario Kart: Double Dash!!!

Tuckers Law

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2021, 07:20:10 PM »
My favorite thing about SA2 was that copy pasta that used to go around about some dude pumping himself up to talk to a girl by listening to Pumpkin Hill.

Bebpo

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2021, 07:30:15 PM »
There is no good sonic game

:rimshot

Himu

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2021, 08:36:14 PM »
There is no good sonic game

:rimshot

Mean Bean Machine.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 10:03:32 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2021, 10:27:27 PM »
Sonic Spinball and Mean Bean Machine aren't really Sonic games tho!

Tasty

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2021, 11:23:08 PM »
I held the thread title opinion for many years, but in the last five I've started to gradually change my views on 2D Sonic. I'm not good at 2D Sonic and I'm not sure I ever will be, but I hold myself equally as responsible as the games for that. (Some of the early games' mechanics just don't work, and I wouldn't argue otherwise.) I keep trying to play it like Mario, and Sonic is just a different beast entirely.

I like the Rush/boost games, while the classic trilogy and Mania are more of a gradual taste to me. But just like coffee and beer, it was worth it to me to get over the initial "ugh, I don't know about this..." and expand my gaming palate. I think Mania's fucking awesome now, but it took me a while to get there.

3D Sonics have always been fun for me, right from the start. Unfortunately each game has one big drawback or letdown or unfun gimmick. What a different world this would be if Unleashed didn't have the werehog.

Sonic as a series isn't really consistent, but that also kinda gives it a certain genie-in-a-bottle type feeling. I will say you never know what to expect from Sonic, especially qualitywise, and even the worse parts are highly fascinating or entertaining in their own ways.

Anyways, Sonic is cool and I like him. 8)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 11:28:25 PM by Tasty »

Tasty

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2021, 11:24:19 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2021, 08:50:02 AM »
Sonic Colors Ultimate just came out.  Most of the attention seems to be on how buggy it is, but I checked out some game play videos since people say it's one of the better 3D Sonics, and it just looked boring. 

I still think that the best Sonic is the original Genesis game and that it was all downhill from there.  Props to Sonic Mania though.
:idont

The best 3D game with "Sonic" in the title is Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed- it's still an awesome kart racer.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2021, 11:37:32 AM »
Sonic All Star Racing Transformed is amazing

I also think Sonic 1 is the best 2d Sonic.  Still didn't enjoy my time with it a few years back.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 11:45:08 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2021, 12:15:25 PM »
Yeah, I like Transformed a lot.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2021, 04:33:38 PM »
I’ve never played the sonic racing games.  Around the time I was hearing about how amazing All Star Racing transformed is, I was nuts deep into Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U, and didn’t want to invest in two kart racers.  If the steam community still has an active community I might have to check it out.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2021, 04:45:47 PM »
Haven't really liked any of the 3D Sonic games outside of the two Adventures.
dog

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2021, 05:53:11 PM »
NGL Sonic Adventures blew my mind back in the day.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2021, 06:07:09 PM »
cum on step it up!!!!!
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2021, 04:11:51 AM »
3D sonic has always been bad.

Not even adventure were legit GOOD games. They were ok.

What

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2021, 04:43:36 AM »
My experiences with 2D Sonic games is basically

Run, jump, run, run | brick wall | slow walk, jump, run, jump, run | brick wall | hit by enemy, frantically grab a ring, slow walk, jump | brick wall | slow walk, fall off ledge, back track, run, run, jump, run | brick wall | throw controller.
Spud

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2021, 05:56:24 AM »
My experiences with 2D Sonic games is basically

Run, jump, run, run | brick wall | slow walk, jump, run, jump, run | brick wall | hit by enemy, frantically grab a ring, slow walk, jump | brick wall | slow walk, fall off ledge, back track, run, run, jump, run | brick wall | throw controller.

Sound like you have the skills of a Potato
What

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2021, 06:54:55 AM »
Sonic Adventure was exciting enough for a committed Nintard like myself to reserve a Dreamcast and be there day one on 9/9/99. Was it a good game? Not really. The shitty friends really fucked the momentum up and there were a lot of bugs that made the game frustrating to play at times. Sonic Adventure 2 was as good as the 3D Sonics would ever get: fewer shitty friends, less bugs, more ambitious design…but was still a 6/10 game at best.

The Sonic series has been so poorly managed since Sonic 2 that nobody should be surprised. Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed was excellent though. Sonic Mania was definitely not worth the hype and was just desperation from Sonic fans to have something that wasn’t a total train wreck. Overall it’s hard to disagree with bork’s opinion that the first 2D Sonic was the best one.
🍆🍆

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2021, 07:01:27 AM »
Agree with everything you said except the part about Mania.

It is a great game imo. On par with Sonic & Knuckles at least
What

Tasty

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2021, 11:05:16 AM »
I have no nostalgia for the original trilogy and I think Mania is flat-out amazing. Even the reused zones are still really fun levels. The completely original zones are impeccable.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2021, 07:23:58 PM »
Yeah Mania makes my dick hard
What

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2021, 07:28:28 PM »
 :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2021, 12:16:10 AM »
I have no nostalgia for the original trilogy and I think Mania is flat-out amazing. Even the reused zones are still really fun levels. The completely original zones are impeccable.

I sorta liked Mania until I got to a level that was ridiculously long and I ran out of time and died.

That's...not what I want from a platformer.

Tasty

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2021, 12:20:47 AM »
They patched in an option to turn off the timer. It saved the game for me.

Bebpo

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2021, 12:22:49 AM »
They patched in an option to turn off the timer. It saved the game for me.

That's good. Maybe one day I'll give it another shot.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2021, 02:02:13 AM »
Yeah the timer + huge levels was really shortsighted. Especially when so many of them have a bunch of weird little paths and routes that you wanna check it out  :doge

But then the game is like move it bitch  :doge

I liked Mania a lot though. I think I understand why they had the old/new split but I think i like the new zones best.

SA1 is an interesting game but massively overstated by sonic fans. it blew my lil kid mind in 99, and You can see ideas and experimentation that was missing in the racetrack like SA2 stages in the way the sa1 ones tend to have open area sections + the race track parts, or gimmicks or puzzles unique to the level. but it's so janky.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2021, 10:52:04 AM »
the Sonic Rush games are cool, they have this unique melding of gameplay and soundtrack that becomes more than the sum of their parts, with those games once you learn to play them and the trick system it's easy to get in the zone and have a good time

they're not really like the old 2D games but also not really like the 3D ones, they might be the best realization of what a Sonic game should feel like?

also Sonic 3D Blast is actually good
Uncle

Tasty

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2021, 11:01:58 AM »
Rush was a lot of fun, and yeah even for a Sonic game that soundtrack was another level.

Absolutely hated the final boss though, IIRC.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2021, 12:15:37 PM »
Rush was a lot of fun, and yeah even for a Sonic game that soundtrack was another level.

Hideki Naganuma, who contributed to Jet Set Radio and JSRF, did the soundtrack.  It was :lawd
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2021, 12:17:53 PM »

It doesn't really feel like a Sonic game, but yeah, it was good.  Pretty impressive for the Genesis- even had a FMV intro!
ど助平

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2021, 12:24:50 PM »

It doesn't really feel like a Sonic game, but yeah, it was good.  Pretty impressive for the Genesis- even had a FMV intro!

some really awesome videos from the guy who made it:

Uncle

Svejk

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2021, 12:57:01 PM »

I remember renting 3D Blast... Beat it in one sitting on first try, returned it the same day.  It was ayeet, but neat to see/play.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2021, 01:14:54 PM »

some really awesome videos from the guy who made it:

He also released a "Director's Cut" patch for the ROM!

https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_3D:_Director%27s_Cut

Some neat little tweaks and fixes, plus he made Sonic move faster and added the Super Sonic transformation, among other things.
ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2021, 04:49:36 AM »
Looking at that basically shows why 3D Sonic or at the very least the "gotta go fast" thing doesn't work. It's basically one of those obstacle avoidance games as introducing other gameplay only serves to slow down the game. Combat or platforming doesn't work at those speeds.

remy

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2021, 05:49:51 AM »
Sega was on to something with the mach speed zones in 06 but promptly blew it  :stahp

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Margs

Tasty

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2021, 10:56:31 AM »
Sega was on to something with the mach speed zones in 06 but promptly blew it  :stahp

Their soul kinda lives on in Secret Rings if you're fully upgraded.

Tasty

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2021, 10:57:27 AM »
Looking at that basically shows why 3D Sonic or at the very least the "gotta go fast" thing doesn't work. It's basically one of those obstacle avoidance games as introducing other gameplay only serves to slow down the game. Combat or platforming doesn't work at those speeds.

Mario doesn't really do combat either. They laser-focus the design on run-and-jump.

You could laser-focus on gotta-go-fast, but you're right, other parts of the design would have to be excised to make it work well.

Himu

« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2021, 11:07:10 AM »

3D Sonic isn't entirely like this though and 2D Sonic is also set up so that you continuously avoid obstacles while going fast.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 11:51:51 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2021, 12:48:33 PM »
Honestly, I don't think I like either 2D or 3D Sonic at this point. Arguably the first 2D Sonic had the least of that "gotta go fast" design. But the kind of speedy momentum bleeds into the regular platforming where it doesn't really feel all that good to play either. Then with the sequels the speed gets more and more emphasized and you end up with these sections that are basically automated.

Himu

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2021, 03:37:55 PM »
Honestly, I don't think I like either 2D or 3D Sonic at this point. Arguably the first 2D Sonic had the least of that "gotta go fast" design. But the kind of speedy momentum bleeds into the regular platforming where it doesn't really feel all that good to play either. Then with the sequels the speed gets more and more emphasized and you end up with these sections that are basically automated.

This is my argument the whole time! I feel like 3D (or at least the Adventure games) offers more freedom beyond these pitfalls.
IYKYK

DJ Bedroom

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2021, 01:19:47 AM »
Sonic Dreams Collection is high art
Mostly the part where you get birthed out of sonics vagina while filming it

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2021, 10:54:39 PM »

To be honest, the greatest strength of the 2D Sonics were the soundtracks. They really did a good job with that, at least for the mainline games. Sonic Adventure had some decent tracks but the 3D Sonic soundtracks never approached the quality of the 2D Sonic soundtracks ever again.
🍆🍆

Bebpo

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2021, 01:27:41 PM »
Was messing with colorful 2d stuff on the Switch OLED and gave Sonic Mania another spin since y'all said they fixed the timer issue. Loaded my save on Flying Fortress Zone. Beat the first Act and then remembered the other thing that I hated about Mania. That it doesn't save between Acts is so fucking stupid because these Acts are ridiculously long for a Sonic game. Run out of continues/lives whatever on Act 2 or the Zone boss? Do Act 1 all over again!

It's some Dark Souls backtracking shit, except Dark Souls backtracks are faster than going through these Act 1s. Just a stupid game design all around to not save after each act.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2021, 05:31:23 PM »
Well you're in luck, 2D Sonic is dead.
https://twitter.com/WWG/status/1452385054974431236
🤴

remy

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2021, 07:12:20 PM »
Zippo aka bullshit/fanfic.

It is a fact though that the mania team are working on an original project with a different publisher, though that doesn't necessarily mean mania 2 is out of the question.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 07:24:00 PM by remy »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2021, 07:22:16 PM »
Zippo aka bullshit
Yeah, I don't put much stock into that part but I didn't know the developer behind Sonic Mania was doing a 3D platformer and they don't quite have the staff to develop two games.
Plus it's been 4 years since Sonic Mania released and not a peep from anyone involved so this broken clock is probably right regardless.

There is really nowhere to go with Sonic Mania anyway. Retreading 1994 is ultimately a dead end.

🤴