Author Topic: The Culture War Thread  (Read 147290 times)

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
Re: The Culture War Thread
« Reply #3180 on: May 19, 2023, 11:19:58 AM »
https://twitter.com/katrosenfield/status/1659569432442675204

:hesright

Apparently the woman and her husband were also doxxed

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #3181 on: May 19, 2023, 11:22:07 AM »
Personally, I probably wouldn’t get into a fight with some pregnant nurse over a share bike, film the encounter, and share it knowing people online will work towards ruining her life. Easier to douse it with radioactive isotope and make it off limits for us both.

man I wish I knew some pregnant nurses
Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3182 on: May 19, 2023, 01:22:28 PM »
Personally, I probably wouldn’t get into a fight with some pregnant nurse over a share bike, film the encounter, and share it knowing people online will work towards ruining her life. Easier to douse it with radioactive isotope and make it off limits for us both.

man I wish I knew some pregnant nurses
She lost her job so she'll be on OnlyFans soon :trumps
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3184 on: May 19, 2023, 09:19:14 PM »

HaughtyFrank

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #3186 on: May 20, 2023, 12:55:48 PM »
Welcome to the community notes culture war

https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1659953699240701955

« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 02:57:24 PM by HaughtyFrank »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3187 on: May 21, 2023, 07:58:46 AM »
Good morning!
A reminder that there is no such thing as "settled science", because knowledge is a continuum and can (and should) always be capable of being reassessed based on new evidence, new observations, and new understandings.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3188 on: May 21, 2023, 08:01:46 AM »
Galen himself supports the settled science that blood letting is one of the most effective ways to rebalance the humours

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3189 on: May 22, 2023, 12:02:41 AM »
Good morning!
A reminder that there is no such thing as "settled science", because knowledge is a continuum and can (and should) always be capable of being reassessed based on new evidence, new observations, and new understandings.
Yeah, no, how it works is if an industry organization declares something, it is not debatable. Like eugenics.

Galen himself supports the settled science that blood letting is one of the most effective ways to rebalance the humours
Now you're getting it. Please make sure you don't breathe in any miasma from foul air and catch a disease.

benjipwns

« Reply #3190 on: May 22, 2023, 12:05:54 AM »
Uber has placed its longtime head of diversity, equity and inclusion on leave after workers complained that an employee event she moderated, titled “Don’t Call Me Karen,” was insensitive to people of color.

Dara Khosrowshahi, Uber’s chief executive, and Nikki Krishnamurthy, the chief people officer, last week asked Bo Young Lee, the head of diversity, “to step back and take a leave of absence while we determine next steps,” according to an email on Thursday from Ms. Krishnamurthy to some employees that was viewed by The New York Times.

“We have heard that many of you are in pain and upset by yesterday’s Moving Forward session,” the email said. “While it was meant to be a dialogue, it’s obvious that those who attended did not feel heard.”

Employees’ concerns centered on a pair of events, one last month and another last Wednesday, that were billed as “diving into the spectrum of the American white woman’s experience” and hearing from white women who work at Uber, with a focus on “the ‘Karen’ persona.” They were intended to be an “open and honest conversation about race,” according to the invitation.

But workers instead felt that they were being lectured on the difficulties experienced by white women and why “Karen” was a derogatory term and that Ms. Lee was dismissive of their concerns, according to messages sent on Slack, a workplace messaging tool, that were viewed by The Times.
The first of the two Don’t Call Me Karen events, in April, was part of a series called Moving Forward — discussions about race and the experiences of underrepresented groups that sprung up in the aftermath of the Black Lives Matter protests in 2020.

Several weeks after that first event, a Black woman asked during an Uber all-hands meeting how the company would prevent “tone-deaf, offensive and triggering conversations” from becoming a part of its diversity initiatives.

Ms. Lee fielded the question, arguing that the Moving Forward series was aimed at having tough conversations and not intended to be comfortable.

“Sometimes being pushed out of your own strategic ignorance is the right thing to do,” she said, according to notes taken by an employee who attended the event. The comment prompted more employee outrage and complaints to executives, according to the Slack messages and the employee.

The second of the two events, run by Ms. Lee, was intended to be a dialogue where workers discussed what they had heard in the earlier meeting.

But in Slack groups for Black and Hispanic employees at Uber, workers fumed that instead of a chance to provide feedback or have a dialogue, they were instead being lectured about their response to the initial Don’t Call Me Karen event.

“I felt like I was being scolded for the entirety of that meeting,” one employee wrote.

Another employee took issue with the premise that the term Karen shouldn’t be used.

“I think when people are called Karens it’s implied that this is someone that has little empathy to others or is bothered by minorities others that don’t look like them. Like why can’t bad behavior not be called out?” she wrote.

Employees greeted the news that Ms. Lee was stepping away as a sign that Uber’s leadership was taking their complaints seriously.

One employee wrote that the company’s executives “have heard us, they know we are hurting, and they want to understand what all happened too.”
:karen

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3191 on: May 22, 2023, 01:08:06 AM »
Live by the sword...
Spud

benjipwns

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #3193 on: May 22, 2023, 01:36:07 PM »

Dude seems to make a case that racism isn't so bad in the UK if you can get away with all of that

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3194 on: May 22, 2023, 01:44:57 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Dude seems to make a case that racism isn't so bad in the UK if you can get away with all of that

bu-bu-but something something meghan markle

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #3195 on: May 22, 2023, 02:36:27 PM »
https://twitter.com/conor64/status/1660636041806598145

The executive hosted sessions about race and being a white woman that were titled “Don’t Call Me Karen,” prompting an employee uproar.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3196 on: May 22, 2023, 04:49:42 PM »
what the flying fuck, plenty of not-so-white Karens around   :doge
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #3197 on: May 22, 2023, 04:57:20 PM »
thats because white people slyly slid the term off to denigrate POCs.

benjipwns

benjipwns

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3200 on: May 23, 2023, 02:55:29 PM »
Indiana Jones has been murdered in broad daylight

🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #3201 on: May 23, 2023, 08:20:04 PM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #3202 on: May 23, 2023, 09:45:26 PM »

#HOTPHOBES

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3203 on: May 24, 2023, 03:14:14 AM »
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #3204 on: May 24, 2023, 08:55:00 AM »
Indiana Jones has been murdered in broad daylight

From the BBC review

(The movie) has the air of a film passing the torch (or whip) to the next generation. But it does all this in an even gloomier fashion than The Force Awakens did. I'm not sure how many fans want to see Indiana Jones as a broken, helpless old man who cowers in the corner while his patronising goddaughter takes the lead, but that's what we're given, and it's as bleak as it sounds.
https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20230519-indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-review-gloomy-and-depressing-final-act

I really don't get it. What is the point of these legacy sequels that then just put down the character that everyone who bought a ticket wanted to see in action again? No surprise that it will piss people off. It's also been done to death, the subversion that your old hero isn't a hero anymore isn't a subversion anymore.

I'm pretty sure I've said it before, but I'm convinced that part of why Top Gun Maverick was so successful was that it didn't do any of that. Tom Cruise is still the best pilot in the navy and he didn't have to learn any bitter lessons about how he was actually super problematic in Top Gun 1 or something like that. Is that challenging cinema? No. But the worn out trope of putting the old hero down to prop up the new one isn't either, so might as well give people what they actually want to see

Polident Hive

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #3206 on: May 24, 2023, 09:47:08 AM »
They should be annexed just based on that shit :kobeyuck
Margs

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #3207 on: May 24, 2023, 01:13:10 PM »
https://twitter.com/spuuky/status/1661177599534456832

People are just confused at this point

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3209 on: May 24, 2023, 01:29:41 PM »
the dems were done with them after biden got elected  :biden

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3210 on: May 24, 2023, 01:31:42 PM »
What resetera member is this

No one can know for sure, but I bet they main Lucio
spoiler (click to show/hide)
just kidding, woman in video has a job
[close]

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #3211 on: May 24, 2023, 01:50:43 PM »

[close]

US professor fired after machete threat to New York Post reporter
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65692232

Not anymore.  :pika

(though I can understand that reporters showing up at your apartment might be a bit upsetting. Not machete upsetting though)

Ms Rodriguez has been approached for comment.

NO YOU'RE IN DANGER
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 01:56:08 PM by HaughtyFrank »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #3212 on: May 24, 2023, 03:20:34 PM »

[close]

US professor fired after machete threat to New York Post reporter
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65692232

Not anymore.  :pika

(though I can understand that reporters showing up at your apartment might be a bit upsetting. Not machete upsetting though)

Ms Rodriguez has been approached for comment.

NO YOU'RE IN DANGER

HaughtyFrank

BIONIC

« Reply #3214 on: May 25, 2023, 09:31:24 AM »
https://twitter.com/spuuky/status/1661177599534456832

People are just confused at this point

Seems Twitch quietly deleted this :lol
Margs

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #3215 on: May 25, 2023, 12:19:48 PM »

BIONIC

« Reply #3216 on: May 25, 2023, 12:27:01 PM »
The old lady casually hosing them :dead
Margs

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #3217 on: May 25, 2023, 12:50:58 PM »
Old helping her turn on the spigot first.

:dead

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #3218 on: May 25, 2023, 02:03:53 PM »
https://twitter.com/bariweiss/status/1661752086248460289

But let’s say when the high school sophomore clicks Tabroom she sees that her judge is Lila Lavender, the 2019 national debate champion, whose paradigm reads, “Before anything else, including being a debate judge, I am a Marxist-Leninist-Maoist. . . . I cannot check the revolutionary proletarian science at the door when I’m judging. . . . I will no longer evaluate and thus never vote for rightest capitalist-imperialist positions/arguments. . . . Examples of arguments of this nature are as follows: fascism good, capitalism good, imperialist war good, neoliberalism good, defenses of US or otherwise bourgeois nationalism, Zionism or normalizing Israel, colonialism good, US white fascist policing good, etc.”

In the past few years, however, judges with paradigms tainted by politics and ideology are becoming common. Debate judge Shubham Gupta’s paradigm reads, “If you are discussing immigrants in a round and describe the person as ‘illegal,’ I will immediately stop the round, give you the loss with low speaks”—low speaker points—“give you a stern lecture, and then talk to your coach. . . . I will not have you making the debate space unsafe.”

Debate Judge Kriti Sharma concurs: under her list of “Things That Will Cause You To Automatically Lose,” number three is “Referring to immigrants as ‘illegal.’ ”

Should a high school student automatically lose and be publicly humiliated for using a term that’s not only ubiquitous in media and politics, but accurate?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3219 on: May 25, 2023, 02:41:51 PM »
https://twitter.com/JustStop_Oil/status/1661662486741778434

Why would you throw shit on plants... :steel

the one on the right either missed where her mark was supposed to be, or didn't agree with throwing shit on plants, because shes just stood there throwing paint up in the air onto herself

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3220 on: May 25, 2023, 02:57:55 PM »
https://twitter.com/bariweiss/status/1661752086248460289

But let’s say when the high school sophomore clicks Tabroom she sees that her judge is Lila Lavender, the 2019 national debate champion, whose paradigm reads, “Before anything else, including being a debate judge, I am a Marxist-Leninist-Maoist. . . . I cannot check the revolutionary proletarian science at the door when I’m judging. . . . I will no longer evaluate and thus never vote for rightest capitalist-imperialist positions/arguments. . . . Examples of arguments of this nature are as follows: fascism good, capitalism good, imperialist war good, neoliberalism good, defenses of US or otherwise bourgeois nationalism, Zionism or normalizing Israel, colonialism good, US white fascist policing good, etc.”

In the past few years, however, judges with paradigms tainted by politics and ideology are becoming common. Debate judge Shubham Gupta’s paradigm reads, “If you are discussing immigrants in a round and describe the person as ‘illegal,’ I will immediately stop the round, give you the loss with low speaks”—low speaker points—“give you a stern lecture, and then talk to your coach. . . . I will not have you making the debate space unsafe.”

Debate Judge Kriti Sharma concurs: under her list of “Things That Will Cause You To Automatically Lose,” number three is “Referring to immigrants as ‘illegal.’ ”

Should a high school student automatically lose and be publicly humiliated for using a term that’s not only ubiquitous in media and politics, but accurate?
Excuse me miss, can we call them rapists, drug dealers and bad hombres instead?
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #3221 on: May 25, 2023, 03:07:35 PM »
twitter.com/JustStop_Oil/status/1661662486741778434

Millions are starving in the Global South whilst our government ignores the climate crisis, choosing to licence 100 new oil and gas projects.
                   Non-sequitur?
 :isthis

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3222 on: May 25, 2023, 04:56:43 PM »
https://twitter.com/JustStop_Oil/status/1661662486741778434

A variation of these fuckwits were protesting at the oil and gas conference I went to recently. They didn't see the irony of turning up with a gas-powered BBQ to cook their lunch.

They're not very bright people.
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #3223 on: May 25, 2023, 05:46:01 PM »

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #3224 on: May 25, 2023, 06:00:16 PM »
*wants to correct the spelling of white supremacist*

*remembers that correcting spelling is white supremacy*

:walkaway

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3226 on: May 25, 2023, 07:35:25 PM »
Sex work is real work bigot
Spud

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

benjipwns

« Reply #3228 on: May 25, 2023, 08:22:59 PM »
Dancing, drama and playing cards. :jeanluc

BIONIC

« Reply #3229 on: May 25, 2023, 08:50:23 PM »
Dancing, drama and playing cards. :jeanluc

Buncha goddamn harlots.
Margs

Polident Hive

« Reply #3230 on: May 26, 2023, 04:40:20 AM »
https://twitter.com/shoe0nhead/status/1661784566003118091

The rise of only fans is kind of insidious. Accessibly parasocial for all groups and not just guys who fly out to Vegas. So even homely broads can have an audience by making that group feel noticed. Or work the other way, by growing a base elsewhere, and transitioning to a pricier illicit tier. What that tweet is saying. If you’re a lady doing YouTube videos on Kirby lore, inevitably a horde of men and boys will offer money to see racey photos. Loops back to the concern over AI smut. Fundamentally it lacks the parasocial element that I guess is appealing to that audience. And an AI model can’t get be gifted a ticket to Dubai.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
:O

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3233 on: June 03, 2023, 09:27:32 AM »
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3234 on: June 03, 2023, 02:23:59 PM »
https://twitter.com/OJ_Smoke_/status/1664504536231288833
Marxist Globalists: Haha, after we privatize and secularize your once great civilized nation we'll flood your countries with refugees to destroy your national identity, keep wages low, ship your jobs to China and call you racists for protesting against open borders, homelessness and endless wars. Your history and culture will be erased, you will be cancelled, you will own nothing and you will be happy in lockdown :tophat

Conservatives + Refugees: Inshallah brothers! Deus Vult! Let's work together to destroy these godless marxist infidels with the holy blessings of the almighty, the Prophet(peace be upon him), the brave Mujahideen and our Favorite PresidentTM :rejoice

Marxist Globalists: :pika
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3235 on: June 03, 2023, 08:11:07 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3236 on: June 04, 2023, 05:16:08 AM »
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3237 on: June 04, 2023, 05:57:04 AM »
it isn't. the girl in the picture got her account suspended

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3238 on: June 04, 2023, 02:48:47 PM »
i will be addressing everything as sincerely as possible when i am able to find the right words for what i need to say.
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 03:31:45 PM by team filler »